Drilling for oil is boring.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

SubjectAuthor
* Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismmoviePig
|+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
||`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismmoviePig
|| +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
|| |`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismTrotsky
|| +- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
|| `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismTrotsky
||  `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
||   +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismFPP
||   |`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismFPP
||   `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismUbiquitous
||    `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
|`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
|`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
| +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismshawn
| |+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
| ||`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
| |`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
| | `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismshawn
| |  +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismAdam H. Kerman
| |  |`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismshawn
| |  | +- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
| |  | `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismAdam H. Kerman
| |  `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
| +- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismFPP
| `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismTrotsky
+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
|`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismNoBody
| +- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
| `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
|  `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismRhino
|+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
||`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismNoBody
|| `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
||  `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismshawn
||   `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
|+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
||+* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismshawn
|||+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismBTR1701
|||+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
|||`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
||| `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismA Friend
|||  +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismAdam H. Kerman
|||  |`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
|||  +- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
|||  `* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
|||   `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
||`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismRhino
|`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismThe Horny Goat
+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
 +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismEd Stasiak
 |+- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test
 |`- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismAdam H. Kerman
 +* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismNoBody
 |`* Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismanim8rfsk
 | `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected RacismNoBody
 `- Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racismchromebook test

Pages:123
Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<ANydnSw8G7XOYRX5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189753&group=rec.arts.tv#189753

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:31:31 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:31 UTC

A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
of his home.

Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:

"When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."

It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
that showed that he was totally innocent.

"I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."

How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.

"In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
to inform me of the resolution."

It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.

https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<b8fe93e7-953c-4b55-b9b7-8d1648e924ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189767&group=rec.arts.tv#189767

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:48:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 00:48 UTC

On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 7:31:40 PM UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:
> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
> of his home.

> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>
> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

"Due to this experience, I am seriously considering discontinuing my use of Amazon Echo devices and will caution others about this incident. This ordeal has made a case for a more personalized home assistant system, perhaps utilizing Raspberry Pi devices scattered around the house."
https://medium.com/@bjax_/a-tale-of-unwanted-disruption-my-week-without-amazon-df1074e3818b
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiIXooD77s

Hey Google!, What is Home Assistant ?
https://www.home-assistant.io/

-----------

mime rambles:

I've fallen and I can't get up, but can turn on ALL 40-11 of my smart devices with ONE voice command.

This smart one, for some reason has been especially fun to use: (course, the auction price of $3 was nice too)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-16-4ft-Smart-Outdoor-Multi-color-Neon-LED-Light-Strip-Water-Resistant-Mobile-App-Control/135568251

Hey Stasiak,! nobody local has any money to buy my chit, but I am still bidding at auction: The latest acquisition, TOTALLY new for under $30. It's got a bodacious kick when it starts, enough to throw the rider off backwards
https://www.amazon.com/Motorized-Powered-Electric-Scooter-Pneumatic/dp/B083G8KNGT?th=1

Gawd-damn, I really need to lose some weight from my ass & buy a helmet for my head...

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<GQ9iM.24435$3C3e.14240@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189776&group=rec.arts.tv#189776

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:44:54 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 02:44 UTC

On 6/13/2023 7:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
> of his home.
>
> Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>
> "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
> had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
> accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
> reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>
> It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
> something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
> home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
> that showed that he was totally innocent.
>
> "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
> Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
> can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
> must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
> my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
> leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>
> How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
> May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>
> "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
> to inform me of the resolution."
>
> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>
> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

So, he hands absolute gatekeeping of his personal domicile to a new
remote technology. Early birds may get the worms, but early adopters
get the bugs. (The "racist remark" aspect is a red herring.)

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<fj-dndxsEpq2sxT5nZ2dnZfqn_pi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189780&group=rec.arts.tv#189780

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:04:11 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:04 UTC

On Jun 13, 2023 at 7:44:54 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/2023 7:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
>> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
>> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
>> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
>> of his home.
>>
>> Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>>
>> "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
>> had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
>> accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
>> reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>>
>> It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
>> something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
>> home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
>> that showed that he was totally innocent.
>>
>> "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
>> Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
>> can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
>> must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
>> my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
>> leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>>
>> How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
>> May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>>
>> "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
>> to inform me of the resolution."
>>
>> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
>> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>>

>> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home
>
> So, he hands absolute gatekeeping of his personal domicile to a new
> remote technology. Early birds may get the worms, but early adopters
> get the bugs. (The "racist remark" aspect is a red herring.)

For all definition of "bug" equal complete lockout for being racist, which
should be a person's right, disreputable though it may be.

A bug is a piece of faulty computer code, not unexpectedly running afoul of
some giant corporation's (undisclosed) morality clause.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<9saiM.24437$3C3e.10258@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189782&group=rec.arts.tv#189782

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:27:00 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:27 UTC

On 6/13/2023 11:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2023 at 7:44:54 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/13/2023 7:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
>>> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
>>> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
>>> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
>>> of his home.
>>>
>>> Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>>>
>>> "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
>>> had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
>>> accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
>>> reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>>>
>>> It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
>>> something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
>>> home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
>>> that showed that he was totally innocent.
>>>
>>> "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
>>> Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
>>> can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
>>> must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
>>> my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
>>> leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>>>
>>> How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
>>> May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>>>
>>> "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
>>> to inform me of the resolution."
>>>
>>> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
>>> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>>>

>>> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home
>>
>> So, he hands absolute gatekeeping of his personal domicile to a new
>> remote technology. Early birds may get the worms, but early adopters
>> get the bugs. (The "racist remark" aspect is a red herring.)
>
> For all definition of "bug" equal complete lockout for being racist, which
> should be a person's right, disreputable though it may be.
>
> A bug is a piece of faulty computer code, not unexpectedly running afoul of
> some giant corporation's (undisclosed) morality clause.

I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
misheard plans for an orgy.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<phydnVECd-rcqhT5nZ2dnZfqnPhi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189783&group=rec.arts.tv#189783

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:42:57 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:42 UTC

On Jun 13, 2023 at 8:27:00 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/2023 11:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> So, he hands absolute gatekeeping of his personal domicile to a new
>>> remote technology. Early birds may get the worms, but early adopters
>>> get the bugs. (The "racist remark" aspect is a red herring.)
>>
>> For all definition of "bug" equal complete lockout for being racist, which
>> should be a person's right, disreputable though it may be.
>>
>> A bug is a piece of faulty computer code, not unexpectedly running afoul of
>> some giant corporation's (undisclosed) morality clause.
>
> I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
> be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
> lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
> more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
> misheard plans for an orgy.

Yes, it is the issue, because Amazon isn't on a morality crusade against
swingers. In fact, given the celebrations of deviance on display with most
U.S. corporations these days, they'd probably award the homeowner a $20 Amazon
gift card if they found out he was hosting an orgy. $50 if trans-testicles
were attending.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<raii8il6glu3t3km9j433g47i8egrvovql@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189786&group=rec.arts.tv#189786

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:08:49 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:08 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:31:31 +0000, BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
>because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
>he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
>Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
>of his home.
>
>Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>
>"When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
>had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
>accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
>reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>
>It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
>something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
>home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
>that showed that he was totally innocent.
>
>"I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
>Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
>can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
>must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
>my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
>leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>
>How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
>May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>
>"In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
>to inform me of the resolution."
>
>It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
>completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>
>https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

I can't imagine EVER giving a third party control over my house key
(which is effectively what this is) for ANY reason much less terms of
service I hadn't specifically agreed to and in this day and age to
agree to ANY terms of service allowing them to EVER lock me out or
otherwise leave my home less than fully protected.

I hope he sues and is awarded substantial damages. In my case I'm a
diabetic and locking me out would prevent access to my insulin which
needless to say I would have a problem with. (I have a standing order
with my pharmacist but it would still be a 24 hour delay and would
cost me for new injection pens and needles)

If that story is independently verified that's amazing and ought to
cost them PLENTY since clearly their system was not fail-safe and
obviously failed to protect against human error either on the part of
the operator messing up (as in this case of presumably honest human
error by the operator or in recognizing the homeowner since even in
the unlikely event that terms of service could EVER allow a homeowner
to be locked out for the stated reason, how could Amazon protect
against locking someone out - say a pizza driver who said something
nasty due to him having a bad day or being dissatisfied with a tip?)

And any damages should CERTAINLY include the cost of removing their
system.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<1tii8i5k4lnneh1pr2oj54i776su6nskkr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189787&group=rec.arts.tv#189787

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:14:25 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:14 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:27:00 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
>be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
>lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
>more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
>misheard plans for an orgy.

By this "logic" saying "you stupid m*****f*****!!!" should get you
locked out of your own home.

And establishing a system where a homeowner could be locked out of
their own home due to their system "hearing" (in this case in error
but even if correctly heard) SHOULD cost them plenty at litigation -
and for being locked out of their home for a week should CERTAINLY
cost them a minimum of six figures.

In the privacy of one's own home one can say what one wills no matter
how distasteful and ESPECIALLY when one is falsely accused it's not
something of legitimate interest to any third party.

Can you imagine if they locked him out for calling the president "a
stupid M*****F*****" ? Fact is that's NOT criminal behaviour in
America and god forbid it ever would be!

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<atropos-E05AFE.22193313062023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189788&group=rec.arts.tv#189788

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:19:33 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:19 UTC

In article <raii8il6glu3t3km9j433g47i8egrvovql@4ax.com>,
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:31:31 +0000, BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
> >because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
> >he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
> >Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
> >of his home.
> >
> >Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
> >
> >"When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
> >had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
> >accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
> >reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
> >
> >It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
> >something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
> >home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
> >that showed that he was totally innocent.
> >
> >"I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
> >Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
> >can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
> >must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
> >my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
> >leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
> >
> >How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
> >May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
> >
> >"In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
> >to inform me of the resolution."
> >
> >It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> >completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
> >
> >https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house
> >-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-somethin
> >g-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home
>
> I can't imagine EVER giving a third party control over my house key
> (which is effectively what this is) for ANY reason much less terms of
> service I hadn't specifically agreed to and in this day and age to
> agree to ANY terms of service allowing them to EVER lock me out or
> otherwise leave my home less than fully protected.
>
> I hope he sues and is awarded substantial damages. In my case I'm a
> diabetic and locking me out would prevent access to my insulin which
> needless to say I would have a problem with. (I have a standing order
> with my pharmacist but it would still be a 24 hour delay and would
> cost me for new injection pens and needles)
>
> If that story is independently verified that's amazing and ought to
> cost them PLENTY since clearly their system was not fail-safe and
> obviously failed to protect against human error

Except the only error here was apparently the delivery guy mishearing
something. Presumably if he actually *had* heard the homeowner make a
racist comment, then the system would have functioned as intended and
locked the guy out of his own home. Because that's something companies
in 2023 presume to have authority to do if you commit wrongthink or hate
speech.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<2118670647.708411293.395551.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189789&group=rec.arts.tv#189789

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:27:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:27 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On 6/13/2023 7:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
>> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
>> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
>> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
>> of his home.
>>
>> Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>>
>> "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
>> had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
>> accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
>> reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>>
>> It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
>> something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
>> home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
>> that showed that he was totally innocent.
>>
>> "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
>> Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
>> can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
>> must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
>> my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
>> leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>>
>> How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
>> May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>>
>> "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
>> to inform me of the resolution."
>>
>> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
>> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>>
>> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home
>
> So, he hands absolute gatekeeping of his personal domicile to a new
> remote technology. Early birds may get the worms, but early adopters
> get the bugs. (The "racist remark" aspect is a red herring.)

Walmart wants me to sign up for a service where they bring your groceries
over and can let themselves in so they can put them away for you. Like
that’s ever going to happen.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<9adf0188-3f7d-4acb-9158-5e2837777379n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189795&group=rec.arts.tv#189795

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:32 UTC

On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 7:31:40 PM UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:
> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
> of his home.
>
> Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>
> "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
> had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
> accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
> reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>
> It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
> something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
> home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
> that showed that he was totally innocent.
>
> "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made..
> Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
> can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
> must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
> my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
> leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>
> How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
> May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>
> "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
> to inform me of the resolution."
>
> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>
> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

TL:DR AMAZON devices have to have an active AMAZON PAYMENT account to work. Google devices have to have a GOOGLE EMAIL account to work.

The company AMAZON
Sells ECHO devices
That respond to ALEXA commands
To control other ALEXA devices like locks, switches, plugs etc

Alexa devices are registered by home users, using their AMAZON buyers account information.

IOW, the name and password used to buy on AMAZON, is the same name and password used by ALEXA and the ECHO devices.

SO.... if there is a problem with a buyers AMAZON account like too many returns or suspicious looking buying, then the AMAZON account gets locked by an algorithm. When the AMAZON account gets locked, the AMAZON devices are also locked out, resulting in their not working.

CONVERSELY

The company GOOGLE
Sells NEST devices
That respond to commands like "Hey Google"
To control other devices that have been approved by GOOGLE like KASA plugs, switches, bulbs etc

GOOGLE devices are registered by home users, using their GOOGLE EMAIL account.

GOOGLE EMAIL accounts are free and won't get shut down due to suspicious buying patterns.

IOW, the name and password used to signup for a free GOOGLE EMAIL account, is the same name and password used to register GOOGLE smart devices.

tags: there are caveats not included to avoid confusion

TL:DR AMAZON devices have to have an active AMAZON payment account to work. Google devices have to have a GOOGLE email account to work.

Something shut down the account of the resident locked out of his home. Was it a complaint by an Amazon delivery guy. I highly doubt it.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<d9ki8ipqc6g4e62blj3m6ijp3r51mlhllv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189796&group=rec.arts.tv#189796

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 01:37:59 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:37 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:19:33 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I hope he sues and is awarded substantial damages. In my case I'm a
>> diabetic and locking me out would prevent access to my insulin which
>> needless to say I would have a problem with. (I have a standing order
>> with my pharmacist but it would still be a 24 hour delay and would
>> cost me for new injection pens and needles)
>>
>> If that story is independently verified that's amazing and ought to
>> cost them PLENTY since clearly their system was not fail-safe and
>> obviously failed to protect against human error
>
>Except the only error here was apparently the delivery guy mishearing
>something. Presumably if he actually *had* heard the homeowner make a
>racist comment, then the system would have functioned as intended and
>locked the guy out of his own home. Because that's something companies
>in 2023 presume to have authority to do if you commit wrongthink or hate

That's the crazy and dangerous thing that is being discussed here. The
only argument that Amazon has is that the driver misheard. Not that
they were in the wrong for disabling all of the Amazon connected
equipment. So this could and will happen to someone again in the
future so that all of their Amazon enabled equipment would stop
working or at least be severely disabled without being able to use the
Amazon enabled portion of their features.

What isn't clear to me is if the local features still worked. So if he
had Nest thermostat did it still work or was it disabled because of
the Amazon disconnection.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<a2851c1d-1cc3-414c-b487-f575aaf8cd85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189799&group=rec.arts.tv#189799

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:48 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 1:38:06 AM UTC-4, shawn wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:19:33 -0700, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <raii8il6glu3t3km9...@4ax.com>,
> > The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:

> >> I can't imagine EVER giving a third party control over my house key
> >> (which is effectively what this is) for ANY reason much less terms of
> >> service I hadn't specifically agreed to and in this day and age to
> >> agree to ANY terms of service allowing them to EVER lock me out or
> >> otherwise leave my home less than fully protected.
> >>
> >> I hope he sues and is awarded substantial damages. In my case I'm a
> >> diabetic and locking me out would prevent access to my insulin which
> >> needless to say I would have a problem with. (I have a standing order
> >> with my pharmacist but it would still be a 24 hour delay and would
> >> cost me for new injection pens and needles)
> >>
> >> If that story is independently verified that's amazing and ought to
> >> cost them PLENTY since clearly their system was not fail-safe and
> >> obviously failed to protect against human error
> >
> >Except the only error here was apparently the delivery guy mishearing
> >something. Presumably if he actually *had* heard the homeowner make a
> >racist comment, then the system would have functioned as intended and
> >locked the guy out of his own home. Because that's something companies
> >in 2023 presume to have authority to do if you commit wrongthink or hate
> >speech.
> That's the crazy and dangerous thing that is being discussed here. The
> only argument that Amazon has is that the driver misheard. Not that
> they were in the wrong for disabling all of the Amazon connected
> equipment. So this could and will happen to someone again in the
> future so that all of their Amazon enabled equipment would stop
> working or at least be severely disabled without being able to use the
> Amazon enabled portion of their features.
>
> What isn't clear to me is if the local features still worked. So if he
> had Nest thermostat did it still work or was it disabled because of
> the Amazon disconnection.

Most smart devices from the major companies, Apple, Amazon, Google, have manual over rides in the event of a cloud server outtage or local wifi problem.

As an example, if my service provider, Spectrum, gets hit by lightning and disrupts service to my home where I can not access the internet, all the KASA devices- (made by TP-Link and Google/Alexa compatible) -- like the light switches and wall plugs still work like a normal toggle wall switch. I just can't voice activate them until the ISP is restored.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<610a3c78-3b10-4e12-b124-5e6e9c9aafbbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189800&group=rec.arts.tv#189800

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:04:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 06:04 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 1:48:33 AM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 1:38:06 AM UTC-4, shawn wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:19:33 -0700, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> > >Except the only error here was apparently the delivery guy mishearing
> > >something. Presumably if he actually *had* heard the homeowner make a
> > >racist comment, then the system would have functioned as intended and
> > >locked the guy out of his own home. Because that's something companies
> > >in 2023 presume to have authority to do if you commit wrongthink or hate
> > >speech.
> > That's the crazy and dangerous thing that is being discussed here. The
> > only argument that Amazon has is that the driver misheard. Not that
> > they were in the wrong for disabling all of the Amazon connected
> > equipment. So this could and will happen to someone again in the
> > future so that all of their Amazon enabled equipment would stop
> > working or at least be severely disabled without being able to use the
> > Amazon enabled portion of their features.
> >
> > What isn't clear to me is if the local features still worked. So if he
> > had Nest thermostat did it still work or was it disabled because of
> > the Amazon disconnection.
> Most smart devices from the major companies, Apple, Amazon, Google, have manual over rides in the event of a cloud server outtage or local wifi problem.
>
> As an example, if my service provider, Spectrum, gets hit by lightning and disrupts service to my home where I can not access the internet, all the KASA devices- (made by TP-Link and Google/Alexa compatible) -- like the light switches and wall plugs still work like a normal toggle wall switch. I just can't voice activate them until the ISP is restored.

On a side note, we had a power outage to the whole neighborhood a month back, lights and electric power was out for 2 hours. When power came back online, ONE of the 10 or so smart devices had to be 'restart' before the voice commands would work.

The power outage scrambled the switch configuration, and a simple 'restart' with one of the two, tiny buttons below the switch toggle, restored the wifi connection to the home router. The wall switch could not connect to the wifi without the 'restart'

(two buttons BELOW the main toggle, 1) reset and 2) restart. RESET requires a whole app reconfiguration. RESTART is 'push the bitty button' and wait for connection to wifi)

https://images.prismic.io/kasasmart/435fa8715e29868bdc2cefc316b59a0ef12c9188_hs220-product-image.png?auto=compress,format.

These two tiny buttons are so small I can't read the label, reset/restart, without a flashlight. I've had to do this on 2 occasions over the last 4 years, both times due to utility company power outage.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<176876cd1e45ade8$75$3169467$baa1eca3@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189810&group=rec.arts.tv#189810

From: gmsi...@email.com (Trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:44:43 +0000
 by: Trotsky - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:44 UTC

On 6/13/23 6:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
>because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
>he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
>Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
>of his home.

Yes, this seems important compared to stealing top secret documents.
Luckily you have the Oath Keeper email blast to fall back on. White power!

--
Death to tyranny.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<176876f2b35cf83f$32$2889738$3aa16cab@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189811&group=rec.arts.tv#189811

From: gmsi...@email.com (Trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:47:25 +0000
 by: Trotsky - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:47 UTC

On 6/13/23 10:27 PM, moviePig wrote:
>On 6/13/2023 11:04 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> So, he hands absolute gatekeeping of his personal domicile to a new
>>> remote technology. Early birds may get the worms, but early adopters
>>> get the bugs. (The "racist remark" aspect is a red herring.)
>>
>> For all definition of "bug" equal complete lockout for being racist, which
>> should be a person's right, disreputable though it may be.
>>
>> A bug is a piece of faulty computer code, not unexpectedly running afoul of
>> some giant corporation's (undisclosed) morality clause.
>
>I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
>be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
>lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
>more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
>misheard plans for an orgy.

So you're cool with Oath Keeper Twat trying to keep discussios away from the
fat orange guy's criminality? I'm not.

--
Death to tyranny.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<176877028606fa98$1199$3153152$7aa12caf@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189812&group=rec.arts.tv#189812

From: gmsi...@email.com (Trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:48:33 +0000
 by: Trotsky - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:48 UTC

Well eunuch'd OKT!

--
Death to tyranny.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<7qGdnbMCxuROHBT5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189815&group=rec.arts.tv#189815

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:01:07 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:01 UTC

Trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
> On 6/13/23 10:27 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> For all definition of "bug" equal complete lockout for being racist, which
>>> should be a person's right, disreputable though it may be.
>>>
>>> A bug is a piece of faulty computer code, not unexpectedly running afoul of
>>> some giant corporation's (undisclosed) morality clause.
>>
>> I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
>> be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
>> lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
>> more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
>> misheard plans for an orgy.
>
> So you're cool with Oath Keeper Twat trying to keep discussios away

What's a discussio, Hutt?

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<u6c2rh$3i0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189821&group=rec.arts.tv#189821

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:56:01 -0400
 by: FPP - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:56 UTC

On 6/14/23 5:01 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> Trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
>>> be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
>>> lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
>>> more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
>>> misheard plans for an orgy.
>>
>> So you're cool with Oath Keeper Twat trying to keep discussios away
>
> What's a discussio, Hutt?

It's a typo, dummy. I thought you understood what that word meant - but
I guess I gave you too much credit.

Want me to go back to posting my list of YOUR typos, big man? I mean,
some are downright hilarious!

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<u6c2tt$3i0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189822&group=rec.arts.tv#189822

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 05:57:17 -0400
 by: FPP - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:57 UTC

On 6/14/23 1:19 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I hope he sues and is awarded substantial damages. In my case I'm a
>> diabetic and locking me out would prevent access to my insulin which
>> needless to say I would have a problem with. (I have a standing order
>> with my pharmacist but it would still be a 24 hour delay and would
>> cost me for new injection pens and needles)
>>
>> If that story is independently verified that's amazing and ought to
>> cost them PLENTY since clearly their system was not fail-safe and
>> obviously failed to protect against human error
>
> Except the only error here was apparently the delivery guy mishearing
> something. Presumably if he actually *had* heard the homeowner make a
> racist comment, then the system would have functioned as intended and
> locked the guy out of his own home. Because that's something companies
> in 2023 presume to have authority to do if you commit wrongthink or hate

Hey, what's the matter? Don't you want to criticize all the random caps
today?

Or do you save them for the weekends?

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<u6c3mp$6he$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189824&group=rec.arts.tv#189824

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 06:10:33 -0400
 by: FPP - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 10:10 UTC

On 6/14/23 5:56 AM, FPP wrote:
> On 6/14/23 5:01 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> Trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:

>>> So you're cool with Oath Keeper Twat trying to keep discussios away
>>
>> What's a discussio, Hutt?
>>

> It's a typo, dummy.  I thought you understood what that word meant - but
> I guess I gave you too much credit.
>
> Want me to go back to posting my list of YOUR typos, big man?  I mean,
> some are downright hilarious!

This was my personal fave - an oldie, but goodie:

> Subject: Re: OT: Kellyanne Conway - They never saw this coming
>
> She actually wasn't bad looking back in the day. Now every time I see it
> look (sic) like she her (sic) kid applied her makeup and she just lost a battle with
> a wind tunnel.

Maybe lay off the crack for a while...

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<u6c8hj$h5u$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189835&group=rec.arts.tv#189835

Followup: alt.sockpuppeteer
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 04:31:56 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:31 UTC

no_email@invalid.invalid wrote:
> Trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know whether it originated with computer code, but a 'bug' can
>>> be a flaw in any complex system. And the bug here seems to have been a
>>> lockout system vulnerable to a simple miscommunication. 'Racism' is no
>>> more the issue here than 'abstinence' would be if the driver had
>>> misheard plans for an orgy.
>>
>> So you're cool with Oath Keeper Twat trying to keep discussios away
>
>What's a discussios, Hutt?

Apparently, he was unable to produce a counterexample, seeing by his two-
fisted rapidfire nonresponse followups with FPP, his sockpuppet.
#Triggered

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<9c1544eb-8692-499d-8e06-e9ab5c3dcdc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189856&group=rec.arts.tv#189856

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 15:23 UTC

On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 7:31:40 PM UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:
> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon

> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>
> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

random notes:

I have (at least) a dozen smart home devices. Smart switches, smart bulbs, smart plugs, smart LED strip lights, smart cameras, smart TVs, and recess smart can lights. I chose GOOGLE's system over the others (Apple, Amazon, Zigbee, etc, etc) for several reasons

1) Compatibility. Most Google devices will work with Amazon Echo, as will a few with Apple Siri. Amazon devices until recently, would not work with Google. Google's system is more open, more compatible, and has many 3rd party manufacturers. Apple's system is finicky and even 3rd party wifi routers can cause problems.

2) Price: An Apple smart plug can cost $50. A comparable Google plug is $7. Amazon is $24.

3) Availability: In conjunction with price, and because I buy at auction, I have limited most of my smart device purchases to what I can find at auction. Google seems to top the list where I shop. I have bought Apple and Amazon devices to examine quality or test, but wound up giving all those smart devices away to neighbors and friends. Google's ecosystem is my preference.

4) I don't worry about being locked out of my house because Amazon locked me out of my account.

I laugh at naive auction bidders buying a 7" Nest or Echo hub for nearly retail price. The hubs are speakers that listen for voice commands and execute the order to turn on a light or fan, etc.

In Google's system these hubs run the Google personal assistant found on most Android or ChromeOS devices.

I have NO Nest hub, and never have owned one, yet still control all my devices by voice with an "always on" ancient chromebook (Acer C720P) with volume up, LED dimmed to min, inverted in tent mode and running Google Assistant app.

A cheap chromebook is a poor man's cheap Google Nest hub. The Acer C720 stopped getting updates a couple years ago, but is still working perfectly.

Finally, the American population is aging, there are 50 million Americans 65 or older, nearly 20% of the total.

With age comes health issues, mobility issues, living alone issues, stumbling in the dark issues, I can't reach the light switch issues, I can't find the TV remote issues, I've fallen and I can't get up issues. Smart devices for all the scary stories out there, will extend and improve the quality of life for many older Americans. Don't throw the smart baby out with the bathwater.

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<u6cp0h$3o2a7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189858&group=rec.arts.tv#189858

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:14:09 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 16:14 UTC

On 2023-06-13 7:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
> because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
> he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
> Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
> of his home.
>
> Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
>
> "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
> had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
> accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
> reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
>
> It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
> something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
> home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
> that showed that he was totally innocent.
>
> "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
> Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
> can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
> must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
> my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
> leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
>
> How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
> May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
>
> "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
> to inform me of the resolution."
>
> It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
>
> https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home

Worse than that, they can do it on the incredibly thin grounds that one
of their delivery drivers, who was no doubt hurrying and distracted,
THOUGHT he heard something despite wearing headphones at the time. (My
bet is that if he/she really heard something racist, it was in whatever
he/she heard over the headphones. Given that most delivery drivers are
young and probably inclined to listen to rap, it wouldn't be surprising
to hear something racist.)

In any case, if I were this customer, I'd be removing all this Amazon
tech IMMEDIATELY, telling everyone I could reach about it and suing
Amazon for at least the costs of having to stay elsewhere for almost a
week.

--
Rhino

Re: Amazon Locks Man Out of His Own Home Due to Suspected Racism

<e5d05cb7-aa7d-4153-b428-0fdb1bca10d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189859&group=rec.arts.tv#189859

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 09:20:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 16:20 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:14:17 PM UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
> On 2023-06-13 7:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > A man found himself locked out of his smart house powered by Amazon
> > because, while he wasn't home, an Amazon delivery driver mistakenly thought
> > he heard a racist remark come from the man's doorbell, reported it to
> > Amazon, and Amazon immediately locked down the account, locking the man out
> > of his home.
> >
> > Here's what the man accused of racism wrote on Medium:
> >
> > "When I connected with the executive, they asked if I knew why my account
> > had been locked. When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned somewhat
> > accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package
> > reported receiving racist remarks from my Ring doorbell."
> >
> > It turns out that a delivery driver (with headphones on) imagined he heard
> > something racist from the doorbell, but the owner of the house wasn't even
> > home when the event happened. He also had cameras all over the property
> > that showed that he was totally innocent.
> >
> > "I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made.
> > Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: 'Excuse me,
> > can I help you? M' The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones,
> > must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day,
> > my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out,
> > leaving me no ability to unlock my doors and access my home."
> >
> > How insane is this? They locked the man out of his own home from Thursday,
> > May 25, to Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
> >
> > "In the end, my account was unlocked on Wednesday, with no follow-up email
> > to inform me of the resolution."
> >
> > It's 2023 y'all. Corporations can now lock you out of your home and
> > completely shut down your life if they think you're racist.
> >
> > https://notthebee.com/article/amazon-just-locked-a-man-out-of-his-smart-house-because-a-delivery-driver-reported-him-as-a-racist-after-mishearing-something-from-the-doorbell--the-man-wasnt-even-at-home
> Worse than that, they can do it on the incredibly thin grounds that one
> of their delivery drivers, who was no doubt hurrying and distracted,
> THOUGHT he heard something despite wearing headphones at the time. (My
> bet is that if he/she really heard something racist, it was in whatever
> he/she heard over the headphones. Given that most delivery drivers are
> young and probably inclined to listen to rap, it wouldn't be surprising
> to hear something racist.)
>
> In any case, if I were this customer, I'd be removing all this Amazon
> tech IMMEDIATELY, telling everyone I could reach about it and suing
> Amazon for at least the costs of having to stay elsewhere for almost a
> week.
>
> --
> Rhino

The story in question involved a black Amazon delivery guy, to a black Amazon customer's house in a predominantly black neighborhood. I am betting there is more to this story that will eventually come out.

keep a song in your heart !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJAfLE39ZZ8