arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrW.Dockery
|`* Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrGeorge J. Dance
| +- Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrW.Dockery
| +- Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrGeneral-Zod
| +* Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrZod
| |`- Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrW.Dockery
| `* Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrW.Dockery
|  `* Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrGeneral-Zod
|   `- Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrW.Dockery
+- Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrGeorge Dance
`* Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrGeneral-Zod
 `- Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. KerrW-Dockery

1
PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<tnkmqg$3m9kt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188710&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188710

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:21:50 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 15:21 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
A December Day, by J.A. Kerr

Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
The day is dull, the landscape drear;
On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html

#pennyspoems

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<70353d7181855fbf045cdfdf57d43568@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188712&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188712

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 15:28:01 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 15:28 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> A December Day, by J.A. Kerr

> Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
> The day is dull, the landscape drear;
> On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
> While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html

> #pennyspoems

Good morning, George, looks like a winner.

Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.

HTH and HAND.

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<tnkror$3mla3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188718&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188718

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:46:19 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 16:46 UTC

On 2022-12-17 10:28 a.m., W.Dockery wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> A December Day, by J.A. Kerr
>
>> Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
>>      The day is dull, the landscape drear;
>> On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
>>      While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html
>
>> #pennyspoems
>
> Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
>
> Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
>
> HTH and HAND.

Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
only poems he ever published.

And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
https://discoverpoetry.com/

The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
for me.

Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.

Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
that site.
https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<2a76d933-4ef7-4818-83ac-e9ecba2090f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188721&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188721

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 09:36:34 -0800 (PST)
From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George Dance)
 by: George Dance - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:36 UTC

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/a-december-day-ja-kerr.html

> #pennyspoems

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<5d3d8f833e5d92bd8c8acc9db8945186@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188724&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188724

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 18:14:18 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 18:14 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-12-17 10:28 a.m., W.Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> A December Day, by J.A. Kerr
>>
>>> Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
>>>      The day is dull, the landscape drear;
>>> On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
>>>      While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html
>>
>>> #pennyspoems
>>
>> Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
>>
>> Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
>>
>> HTH and HAND.

> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
> only poems he ever published.

> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
> https://discoverpoetry.com/

> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
> for me.

> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.

> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
> that site.
> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

Thanks again for the information, George.

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<6a788d894c3621e7f308f6059818a71d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188755&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188755

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:58:15 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:58 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-12-17 10:28 a.m., W.Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> A December Day, by J.A. Kerr
>>
>>> Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
>>>      The day is dull, the landscape drear;
>>> On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
>>>      While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html
>>
>>> #pennyspoems
>>
>> Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
>>
>> Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
>>
>> HTH and HAND.

> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
> only poems he ever published.

> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
> https://discoverpoetry.com/

> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
> for me.

> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.

> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
> that site.
> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

I can dig it....

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<7b1b8275-f4bc-4895-8b64-fa9241a14784n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188763&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188763

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 14:29:00 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 22:29 UTC

On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 11:46:21 AM UTC-5, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> On 2022-12-17 10:28 a.m., W.Dockery wrote:
> > George J. Dance wrote:
> >>
> >> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> >> A December Day, by J.A. Kerr
> >
> >> Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
> >> The day is dull, the landscape drear;
> >> On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
> >> While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
> >> [...]
> >> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html
> >
> >> #pennyspoems
> >
> > Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
> >
> > Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
> >
> > HTH and HAND.
> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
> only poems he ever published.
>
> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
> https://discoverpoetry.com/
>
> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
> for me.
>
> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.
>
> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
> that site.
> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

G.D. here is a local poet who would probably like to contribute to your BLOG... Scott Antley...

https://allpoetry.com/Scott_Antley_aka_exile

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<f87d8814d7be9e9efb2a745c16eee32c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188771&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188771

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 23:56:50 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 23:56 UTC

Zod wrote:

> On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 11:46:21 AM UTC-5, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:

>> > Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
>> >
>> > Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
>> >
>> > HTH and HAND.
>> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
>> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
>> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
>> only poems he ever published.
>>
>> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
>> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
>> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
>> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
>> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
>> https://discoverpoetry.com/
>>
>> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
>> for me.
>>
>> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
>> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
>> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
>> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.
>>
>> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
>> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
>> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
>> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
>> that site.
>> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

> G.D. here is a local poet who would probably like to contribute to your BLOG... Scott Antley...

> https://allpoetry.com/Scott_Antley_aka_exile

I've known Scott since the 1990s, good guy, good poet.

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<29fc61f6430161d62ee6b7cf93a71b45@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=188962&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#188962

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:30:58 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:30 UTC

Seems to be....

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<c39b99d7d23db44e20c0c5f175bb043d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189040&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#189040

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 05:23:49 +0000
From: W-Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 05:23 UTC

Yes.

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<a6dbc687c815ec6dba137057bdc228eb@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189716&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#189716

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:20:19 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:20 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-12-17 10:28 a.m., W.Dockery wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> A December Day, by J.A. Kerr
>>
>>> Low-drifting clouds o'erspread the sky;
>>>      The day is dull, the landscape drear;
>>> On earth's fair bosom snowflakes lie,
>>>      While trees their snow-clad branches rear.
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-thomas-bailey-aldrich.html
>>
>>> #pennyspoems
>>
>> Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
>>
>> Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
>>
>> HTH and HAND.

> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
> only poems he ever published.

> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
> https://discoverpoetry.com/

> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
> for me.

> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.

> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
> that site.
> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

I'm a new fan of Robert F. Skillings.

🙂

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<09306651d2685b20cc666cb6128abba3@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189749&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#189749

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:41:35 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:41 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Good morning, George, looks like a winner.
>>>
>>> Great to see you continue to bring these poets out of obscurity.
>>>
>>> HTH and HAND.

>> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
>> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
>> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
>> only poems he ever published.

>> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
>> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
>> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
>> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
>> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
>> https://discoverpoetry.com/

>> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
>> for me.

>> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
>> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
>> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
>> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.

>> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
>> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
>> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
>> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
>> that site.
>> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

> I'm a new fan of Robert F. Skillings.

> 🙂

Count me in on that as well...!

Re: PPB: A December Day / J.A. Kerr

<7b66665f61d8e4a818f38aaaa900ac27@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=189858&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#189858

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 03:06:09 +0000
From: W.Dock...@news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 03:06 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Kerr is still pretty obscure to me. For now, I don't even have his
>>> important dates, marital status. AFAIK, this and another poem in an 1890
>>> vanity press anthology, /Local and National Poets of America/, are the
>>> only poems he ever published.

>>> And I can't take the credit for lifting him out of obscurity; if
>>> anything, I'm only helping a bit. The major credit belongs to a new
>>> poetry site, Discover Poetry, that I've ... discovered. It's very much a
>>> publish-anything site like PoemHunder, Poetry Nook, or AllPoetry, but
>>> unlike those and their clones it's building up a unique selection.
>>> https://discoverpoetry.com/

>>> The site also organizes the poems by month, which is quite convenient
>>> for me.

>>> Since Robert F. Skillings also appeared in that 1890 vanity project, and
>>> I also found him on the Discover Poetry site, I'd conjecture that
>>> whoever's behind the site has been reading that anthology (or the later
>>> edition NG found) and choosing poems from it.

>>> Another site that's helped raise Kerr's profile a bit is Strangers to Us
>>> All, a database of poet/lawyers set up by James R. Elkins at the West
>>> virgina U. College of Law and maintained on Lawlit. I got the
>>> biographical material that I used to open a wiki article on Kerr from
>>> that site.
>>> https://lawlit.net/lp-2001/intro/index.html

>> I'm a new fan of Robert F. Skillings.

> Count me in on that as well...!

NancyGene is a fan of Stillings and Dunne... of London, Ireland.

🙂