Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 12:40:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: My Imaginary Brother
From: blackpoo...@aol.com (Edward Rochester Esq.)
 by: Edward Rochester Esq - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 20:40 UTC

I would talk to him
after the beltings, he'd listened
and understood why he didn't get
the imaginary belt.

You see he was imaginary, made up
from the torture I received.

I was even an imaginary politician
pretending all my loses were wins --
each time I ran, that belt dream
would spoil sleep.

I soon learned while packing boxes,
that damn it I was somebody and found my way
looking up poets, there was a need
for such a list and after that I edited a book of poems
that seemed as though the poet, himself,
had received the belt early in life, his brother
being real, one that I have adopted as my
imaginary brother.

It has been almost a year since the real David passed away
but my imaginary David, did not, so I asked whether
a poem I read was the Real or the imaginary David.

Some may find that a silly question, some may suggest
my youngster belting has created a monster in me
but I know better, you see I'm the Mensa Man, able to leap
tall encyclopedias at a single bound, if that book
is indeed bound.

Now I call strangers, co or triple joined
simply because I understood why a cojoined twin girls
posted to show a poet what she may look like.

I found that apropos, considering the man who posted
such a photo had served in Nam and seems to have some form of
injury which made it ok to post the twins for all to see.

I find myself content in the world of the imaginary,
finally confronting a deceased Dad who beat me
with pants down, an autobiographical account of my
upbringing.

Real or Memorex.

You decide.

ER

Re: My Imaginary Brother

<1105ad79-7189-49de-b44f-9e670246061dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190436&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#190436

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 13:06:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: My Imaginary Brother
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 21:06 UTC

On Saturday, December 24, 2022 at 8:40:05 PM UTC, blackpo...@aol.com wrote:
> I would talk to him
> after the beltings, he'd listened
> and understood why he didn't get
> the imaginary belt.
>
> You see he was imaginary, made up
> from the torture I received.
>
> I was even an imaginary politician
> pretending all my loses were wins --
> each time I ran, that belt dream
> would spoil sleep.
>
> I soon learned while packing boxes,
> that damn it I was somebody and found my way
> looking up poets, there was a need
> for such a list and after that I edited a book of poems
> that seemed as though the poet, himself,
> had received the belt early in life, his brother
> being real, one that I have adopted as my
> imaginary brother.
>
> It has been almost a year since the real David passed away
> but my imaginary David, did not, so I asked whether
> a poem I read was the Real or the imaginary David.
>
> Some may find that a silly question, some may suggest
> my youngster belting has created a monster in me
> but I know better, you see I'm the Mensa Man, able to leap
> tall encyclopedias at a single bound, if that book
> is indeed bound.
>
> Now I call strangers, co or triple joined
> simply because I understood why a cojoined twin girls
> posted to show a poet what she may look like.
>
> I found that apropos, considering the man who posted
> such a photo had served in Nam and seems to have some form of
> injury which made it ok to post the twins for all to see.
>
> I find myself content in the world of the imaginary,
> finally confronting a deceased Dad who beat me
> with pants down, an autobiographical account of my
> upbringing.
>
> Real or Memorex.
>
> You decide.
>
> ER

We say real. If only the Father had worn Sansabelt pants, the Speaker's world would be different.