It's better to burn out than to fade away.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...m syadoz
`* Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...Ed Stasiak
 +- Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on theanim8rfsk
 `- Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of themoviePig

1
Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...

<13a2f297-3c07-4c84-ab3a-403365122914n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190692&group=rec.arts.tv#190692

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 18:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...
From: syad...@gmail.com (m syadoz)
 by: m syadoz - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 01:05 UTC

On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 8:54:16 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> The sub at Titanic depth, was actually close to its pressure limit at depth. It was either crushed like a beer can due to a fault in the structure, or it's dead on the bottom, no power mechanism. In any case, they apparently can't communicate with it.
>
> https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/titanic-submersible-missing-search-06-19-23/index.html

Submarine missing near Titanic used a $30 Logitech gamepad for steering

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/06/submarine-missing-near-titanic-used-a-30-logitech-gamepad-for-steering/

Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...

<1045dcb1-81b9-4e25-bafc-89ef64f932a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190769&group=rec.arts.tv#190769

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:34:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:34 UTC

> syadoz
>
> Submarine missing near Titanic used a $30 Logitech gamepad for steering
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/06/submarine-missing-near-titanic-used-a-30-logitech-gamepad-for-steering/

https://www.foxnews.com/world/oceangate-titan-submarine-operated-by-video-game-controller-ceo-says
June 20, 2023

OceanGate Titan submarine operated by video game controller, CEO says
Stockton Rush holds up Logitech game controller when showing how Titan runs

The Titan submarine OceanGate has been charging tourists around $250,000 each to ride in is operated by an inexpensive video game controller, its CEO revealed in a video interview last year.

Stockton Rush, during a segment aired by "CBS Sunday Morning," said "we run the whole thing with this game controller" while holding up what appears to be a modified Logitech F710 wireless gamepad.

The device first debuted in 2011, according to the gaming website Dexerto, and a refurbished version of it currently retails for $30 on Amazon.

In the CBS video, Rush’s version appears to have elongated, modified sticks to help control the Titan submarine.

On Logitech’s website, it says the AA battery-operated F710 controller has a "Four-switch D-pad for precise control," operates on "Fast 2.4 GHz wireless via USB nano reciever" and offers "Dual-motor vibration feedback.."

OceanGate’s expeditions to the Titanic depart from St. John’s, Newfoundland, to the wreck of the Titanic about 370 miles away. The trips take eight days, and each dive to the wreck and ascent to the surface reportedly takes roughly eight hours. Passengers pay about $250,000 to participate in the trip.

OceanGate, which was founded in 2009 by Rush, has several custom-built submersibles including Titan, which was designed to reach depths of 13,123 feet necessary to visit the wreck of the Titanic, which lies at a depth of about 12,500 feet. The Titan utilizes SpaceX's Starlink satellite communications system when at sea.

The company’s website says that the Titan has life support capabilities sufficient to sustain its five-person crew for 96 hours. According to the Coast Guard, the submersible departed the Canadian research vessel Polar Prince on Sunday morning for its trip to the Titanic, and the ship lost contact with the sub after about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

The Coast Guard said Tuesday that it has not found any traces of the submarine after searching 10,000 square miles.

Rush, in an interview with a "CBS Sunday Morning" correspondent last year, also said he had a worry of objects preventing the vessel from returning to the surface.

"What I worry about most are things that will stop me from being able to get to the surface. Overhangs, fish nets, entanglement hazards," Rush told David Pogue on the "Unsung Science" podcast. "And, that’s just a technique, piloting technique. It’s pretty clear -- if it’s an overhang, don’t go under it. If there is a net, don’t go near it. So, you can avoid those if you are just slow and steady."

Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...

<2071063613.709076762.790842.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190773&group=rec.arts.tv#190773

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the
bottom of the ocean...
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:54:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:54 UTC

Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Coast Guard, the submersible departed the Canadian research vessel Polar
> Prince on Sunday morning for its trip to the Titanic, and the ship lost
> contact with the sub after about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
>
> The Coast Guard said Tuesday that it has not found any traces of the
> submarine after searching 10,000 square miles.
>
> Rush, in an interview with a "CBS Sunday Morning" correspondent last
> year, also said he had a worry of objects preventing the vessel from
> returning to the surface.
>
> "What I worry about most are things that will stop me from being able to
> get to the surface. Overhangs, fish nets, entanglement hazards," Rush
> told David Pogue on the "Unsung Science" podcast. "And, that’s just a
> technique, piloting technique. It’s pretty clear -- if it’s an overhang,
> don’t go under it. If there is a net, don’t go near it. So, you can avoid

I saw an interview with one of their guys today who said that even if they
used to one of the seven emergency surface techniques (one of which is
automatic), there’s still bolted into the thing from the outside, and they
have no way to open it from the inside even to get air.

Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the ocean...

<fmKkM.18648$k4z1.18573@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190776&group=rec.arts.tv#190776

Subject: Re: Pay $250,000 to see Titanic up close, end up on the bottom of the
ocean...
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:56:23 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:56 UTC

On 6/21/2023 5:34 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> [...]
>
> The Coast Guard said Tuesday that it has not found any traces of the submarine after searching 10,000 square miles.
>
> Rush, in an interview with a "CBS Sunday Morning" correspondent last year, also said he had a worry of objects preventing the vessel from returning to the surface.
>
> "What I worry about most are things that will stop me from being able to get to the surface. Overhangs, fish nets, entanglement hazards," Rush told David Pogue on the "Unsung Science" podcast. "And, that’s just a technique, piloting technique. It’s pretty clear -- if it’s an overhang, don’t go under it. If there is a net, don’t go near it. So, you can avoid those if you are just slow and steady."

Would you want your critical controller to come off an assembly line
that's put many thousands of them into energetic user hands, or instead
to be a handmade prototype of advanced, sophisticated design?