From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The thing that bugs me about the monster TV shows (Specifically, "From.")
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 06:25:21 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 06:25 UTC

On Jun 20, 2023 at 11:04:50 PM PDT, "RichA" <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's the lack of expansive interest in the predicament they are in. "From"
> concerns a group of people stuck in a small town, and monsters come out at
> night and they eat people. They aren't zombies, they are something else. So,
> they can't drive or walk about of the town, if you get stuck after dark, you
> die. If you try to drive, you end up in a loop. There is a teleportation
> effect happening as well. What bothers me is that new people in town (people
> who drove in and got stuck) never ask specific questions. The people in the
> town survive, but they don't try to understand beyond their current
> situation. I figure this is a cheap plot structure to keep things going.
> Most recent thing is the sheriff goes off "to get answers" gets into trouble,
> manages to get back to town, but didn't explain anything of substance that
> happened to him to the people. He did tell his son about the teleportation.
> The worst thing is the secrecy. People see and do things they won't tell
> others about. Pretty stupid in that situation. Really, they are in a war.
> Can you imaging a platoon of soldiers not telling each other every aspect of
> the situation they were in??

You're describing the LOST effect. It's well documented.

Re: The thing that bugs me about the monster TV shows (Specifically, "From.")

<3558f451-6ac3-4565-9416-4ccaab4f2307n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190711&group=rec.arts.tv#190711

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 06:53 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 2:41:55 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 at 02:25:29 UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:
> > On Jun 20, 2023 at 11:04:50 PM PDT, "RichA" <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It's the lack of expansive interest in the predicament they are in. "From"
> > > concerns a group of people stuck in a small town, and monsters come out at
> > > night and they eat people. They aren't zombies, they are something else. So,
> > > they can't drive or walk about of the town, if you get stuck after dark, you
> > > die. If you try to drive, you end up in a loop. There is a teleportation
> > > effect happening as well. What bothers me is that new people in town (people
> > > who drove in and got stuck) never ask specific questions. The people in the
> > > town survive, but they don't try to understand beyond their current
> > > situation. I figure this is a cheap plot structure to keep things going.
> > > Most recent thing is the sheriff goes off "to get answers" gets into trouble,
> > > manages to get back to town, but didn't explain anything of substance that
> > > happened to him to the people. He did tell his son about the teleportation.
> > > The worst thing is the secrecy. People see and do things they won't tell
> > > others about. Pretty stupid in that situation. Really, they are in a war.
> > > Can you imaging a platoon of soldiers not telling each other every aspect of
> > > the situation they were in??
> > You're describing the LOST effect. It's well documented.
> Glad I never followed that show. It's like the writers don't have the intellect to progress the show without giving away the farm in the first season. Ambiguity like that his killed shows that could have been good.

The LOST story could have been told easily in 3 seasons. The sixth season was pure fluff. The 7th season would have been the zombie season, according to the show RUNNERS who wanted to stop against the will of the show OWNERS who saw the show rightly as ABC's cash cow.

Still glad I followed LOST for 6 years though, I enjoyed it and it's type of success with the then emerging internet engagement between fans and show runners, will never be repeated.