Eloquence is logic on fire.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

SubjectAuthor
* Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthBTR1701
 `* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthAdam H. Kerman
  +* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthshawn
  |`- Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthAdam H. Kerman
  +* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthDimensional Traveler
  |+* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthanim8rfsk
  ||+- Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthDimensional Traveler
  ||`* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthBTR1701
  || `- Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthanim8rfsk
  |`* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthNyssa
  | `* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthanim8rfsk
  |  +* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthNyssa
  |  |`- Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthBlueshirt
  |  `- Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthUbiquitous
  `* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthThe Horny Goat
   `* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthDimensional Traveler
    `* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthIan J. Ball
     `* Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthAdam H. Kerman
      `- Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depthDimensional Traveler

1
Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u75aa2$3rmc1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191051&group=rec.arts.tv#191051

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:36:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:36 UTC

On a radio news report, there was discussion of the implosion of the
submersible with an oceanographer who has been taken to extreme depths
in a Navy submersible. She was describing the care the Navy takes with
its vessel and that no one is allowed to bring untested electronics on
board due to concerns about affecting electrical system.

On this report, it was stated that the submersible in question was rated
for 1400 ft. The Titanic sunk at 4000 ft.

You'd think the billionaire passengers might have asked a question or two.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<atropos-F40BAD.18493523062023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191075&group=rec.arts.tv#191075

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 18:49:35 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 01:49 UTC

In article <u75aa2$3rmc1$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> On a radio news report, there was discussion of the implosion of the
> submersible with an oceanographer who has been taken to extreme depths
> in a Navy submersible. She was describing the care the Navy takes with
> its vessel and that no one is allowed to bring untested electronics on
> board due to concerns about affecting electrical system.
>
> On this report, it was stated that the submersible in question was rated
> for 1400 ft. The Titanic sunk at 4000 ft.

No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u75m3e$jir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191080&group=rec.arts.tv#191080

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 02:57:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 02:57 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>In article <u75aa2$3rmc1$2@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> On a radio news report, there was discussion of the implosion of the
>> submersible with an oceanographer who has been taken to extreme depths
>> in a Navy submersible. She was describing the care the Navy takes with
>> its vessel and that no one is allowed to bring untested electronics on
>> board due to concerns about affecting electrical system.
>>
>> On this report, it was stated that the submersible in question was rated
>> for 1400 ft. The Titanic sunk at 4000 ft.
>
>No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.

Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.

The company claims it was designed for 13,000 feet, but experts are
criticizing the choice of carbon fiber hull, that the hull really wasn't
meant for that depth. I can't find a story stating what a more practical
depth rating should have been.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<h6oc9iptvlee05crisnfabbqmhaq9hca9f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191086&group=rec.arts.tv#191086

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:21:21 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 03:21 UTC

On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 02:57:50 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>In article <u75aa2$3rmc1$2@dont-email.me>,
>> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On a radio news report, there was discussion of the implosion of the
>>> submersible with an oceanographer who has been taken to extreme depths
>>> in a Navy submersible. She was describing the care the Navy takes with
>>> its vessel and that no one is allowed to bring untested electronics on
>>> board due to concerns about affecting electrical system.
>>>
>>> On this report, it was stated that the submersible in question was rated
>>> for 1400 ft. The Titanic sunk at 4000 ft.
>>
>>No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.
>
>Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
>
>The company claims it was designed for 13,000 feet, but experts are
>criticizing the choice of carbon fiber hull, that the hull really wasn't
>meant for that depth. I can't find a story stating what a more practical
>depth rating should have been.

Wasn't the portal at the front of the company only rated for something
like 1300 feet by the company that made it? Seems like they were
pushing their luck from the very beginning by pushing their available
tech beyond what it designed to do. They just got lucky the first few
times when it didn't fail on them.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u75np7$pej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191087&group=rec.arts.tv#191087

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 03:26:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 03:26 UTC

>On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 02:57:50 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
><ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>>No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.
>>
>>Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
>>
>>The company claims it was designed for 13,000 feet, but experts are
>>criticizing the choice of carbon fiber hull, that the hull really wasn't
>>meant for that depth. I can't find a story stating what a more practical
>>depth rating should have been.
>
>Wasn't the portal at the front of the company only rated for something
>like 1300 feet by the company that made it?

I saw that in anim's post in another thread after I wrote that.

>. . .

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u75ov2$rpo$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191090&group=rec.arts.tv#191090

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 20:46:45 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 03:46 UTC

On 6/23/2023 7:57 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <u75aa2$3rmc1$2@dont-email.me>,
>> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On a radio news report, there was discussion of the implosion of the
>>> submersible with an oceanographer who has been taken to extreme depths
>>> in a Navy submersible. She was describing the care the Navy takes with
>>> its vessel and that no one is allowed to bring untested electronics on
>>> board due to concerns about affecting electrical system.
>>>
>>> On this report, it was stated that the submersible in question was rated
>>> for 1400 ft. The Titanic sunk at 4000 ft.
>>
>> No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.
>
> Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.

You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.

dirty old man.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<1254874923.709272774.466732.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191095&group=rec.arts.tv#191095

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 21:21:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 04:21 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 6/23/2023 7:57 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.
>>
>> Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
>>
> You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.

I’ve been leaving off the units because the point was 1300 out of 4000 and
I’ve read both feet and meters.

Meters make sense as it would put the intended depth of the submersible
dive at the depth of the Titanic. 4000 m equals 13,000 feet.

The window was rated for 1300 m or 4265 feet.

This is the kind of thing that gets Mars landers, splattered all over the
surface.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u75u6e$1bkf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191101&group=rec.arts.tv#191101

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 22:16:02 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 05:16 UTC

On 6/23/2023 9:21 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
>>>
>> You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.
>>

> I’ve been leaving off the units because the point was 1300 out of 4000 and
> I’ve read both feet and meters.
>
> Meters make sense as it would put the intended depth of the submersible
> dive at the depth of the Titanic. 4000 m equals 13,000 feet.
>
> The window was rated for 1300 m or 4265 feet.
>
> This is the kind of thing that gets Mars landers, splattered all over the
> surface.

Yup.

dirty old man.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<lh4d9i1pc40jnicgpcp1tiiv6d12r7h34d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191108&group=rec.arts.tv#191108

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:51:02 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 06:51 UTC

<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> On this report, it was stated that the submersible in question was rated
>>> for 1400 ft. The Titanic sunk at 4000 ft.
>>
>>No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.

Which suggests somebody was confused between 4000 feet and 4000
metres...

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u76gko$325e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191130&group=rec.arts.tv#191130

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 03:30:48 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 10:30 UTC

On 6/23/2023 11:51 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:

>>> No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500 feet deep.
>
> Which suggests somebody was confused between 4000 feet and 4000
> metres...

Isn't that what I said?

dirty old man.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u76r6r$44qe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191131&group=rec.arts.tv#191131

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 09:31:32 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 13:31 UTC

Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> On 6/23/2023 7:57 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> No, the Titanic came to rest on the bottom at 12,500
>>> feet deep.
>>
>> Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
>>
> You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.

That's exactly the problem.

The viewport was rated for 1400 *meters* yet the
sub was sent to the 4000 meter level.

Add in the iffy carbon fiber shell (degradation of
materials) during the multiple dives, and you've got
a disaster waiting to happen.

Which it did.

Nyssa, who listened to news broadcasts from several
sources interviewing several experts over the past
week

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<2079613401.709308992.860995.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191137&group=rec.arts.tv#191137

Followup: rec.arts.tv
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 07:21:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:21 UTC

Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
>>>
>> You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.
>>
> That's exactly the problem.
>
> The viewport was rated for 1400 *meters* yet the
> sub was sent to the 4000 meter level.
>
> Add in the iffy carbon fiber shell (degradation of
> materials) during the multiple dives, and you've got
> a disaster waiting to happen.
>
> Which it did.

Apparently the carbon fiber shell made a few dives, but the experts said
that it would be more likely to fail each time it went down.

It’s unclear how many descents the window made.

> Nyssa, who listened to news broadcasts from several
> sources interviewing several experts over the past
> week

Let’s not forget the white guys in charge of this refusing to listen to the
white guys telling them it was going to fail because those white guys are
white.

Remember the end of Bride of Frankenstein, when the creature says WE BELONG
DEAD?

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u770n3$4t2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191144&group=rec.arts.tv#191144

Followup: rec.arts.tv
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 11:05:37 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 15:05 UTC

anim8rfsk wrote:

> Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net> wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.
>>>
>> That's exactly the problem.
>>
>> The viewport was rated for 1400 *meters* yet the
>> sub was sent to the 4000 meter level.
>>
>> Add in the iffy carbon fiber shell (degradation of
>> materials) during the multiple dives, and you've got
>> a disaster waiting to happen.
>>
>> Which it did.
>
> Apparently the carbon fiber shell made a few dives, but
> the experts said that it would be more likely to fail each
> time it went down.
>
> It?s unclear how many descents the window made.
>

>> Nyssa, who listened to news broadcasts from several
>> sources interviewing several experts over the past
>> week
>
> Let?s not forget the white guys in charge of this refusing
> to listen to the white guys telling them it was going to
> fail because those white guys are white.
>
> Remember the end of Bride of Frankenstein, when the
> creature says WE BELONG DEAD?

I don't care if the engineer is pink with purple polka
dots. If he/she tells me that a component is only
good to 1400 meters and I'm planning to go to 4000 meters,
I'd reconsider my plans for a an unnecessary sightseeing
excursion.

Nyssa, who knows that 400 atmospheres of pressure isn't
something you can hold off with a stop sign or happy
thoughts

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u772vn$56lf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191154&group=rec.arts.tv#191154

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 15:43:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 15:43 UTC

Nyssa wrote:

> I don't care if the engineer is pink with purple polka
> dots. If he/she tells me that a component is only
> good to 1400 meters and I'm planning to go to 4000 meters,
> I'd reconsider my plans for a an unnecessary sightseeing
> excursion.

Four people paying $250,000 each (total $1 million), was obviously
enough to override common sense.

Especially if you are the sort of entrepreneur that believes health and
safety standards hinder innovation...

Alas, the same entrepreneur paid for his beliefs with his life.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<atropos-1683F7.09235924062023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191173&group=rec.arts.tv#191173

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 09:23:59 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 16:23 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> Ok. I can find that depth in reporting.
> >>
> > You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.
> >
> I’ve been leaving off the units because the point was 1300 out of 4000 and
> I’ve read both feet and meters.
>
> Meters make sense as it would put the intended depth of the submersible
> dive at the depth of the Titanic. 4000 m equals 13,000 feet.
>
> The window was rated for 1300 m or 4265 feet.

Yes, but the real question is how many AUs was it rated for?

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u776r6$5iih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191178&group=rec.arts.tv#191178

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 09:49:42 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 16:49 UTC

On 2023-06-24 10:30:48 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

> On 6/23/2023 11:51 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:

>> Which suggests somebody was confused between 4000 feet and 4000
>> metres...
>
> Isn't that what I said?

[singing:]
Nobody says it, better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as you
Baby, you're the best!

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u77cq5$64df$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191187&group=rec.arts.tv#191187

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 18:31:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 18:31 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 2023-06-24 10:30:48 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

>>>Which suggests somebody was confused between 4000 feet and 4000
>>>metres...

>>Isn't that what I said?

>[singing:]
>Nobody says it, better
>Makes me feel sad for the rest
>Nobody does it half as good as you
>Baby, you're the best!

Thank you Carly.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u77g2g$6fro$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191199&group=rec.arts.tv#191199

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:27:14 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 19:27 UTC

On 6/24/2023 11:31 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Isn't that what I said?
>
>> [singing:]
>> Nobody says it, better
>> Makes me feel sad for the rest
>> Nobody does it half as good as you
>> Baby, you're the best!
>
> Thank you Carly.

:D

dirty old man.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<696959886.709332253.424410.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191237&group=rec.arts.tv#191237

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:06:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 21:06 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1254874923.709272774.466732.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> You or the reporter may be confusing meters and feet.
>>>
>> I’ve been leaving off the units because the point was 1300 out of 4000 and
>> I’ve read both feet and meters.
>>
>> Meters make sense as it would put the intended depth of the submersible
>> dive at the depth of the Titanic. 4000 m equals 13,000 feet.
>>
>> The window was rated for 1300 m or 4265 feet.
>
> Yes, but the real question is how many AUs was it rated for?

Only two in the directors cut, because the guys doing the directors cut
have tiny little minds.

Re: Submersible rated for 1/3 of the depth

<u7c12t$ujl4$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=191432&group=rec.arts.tv#191432

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 04:30:46 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

>Let's not forget the white guys in charge of this refusing to listen to the
>white guys telling them it was going to fail because those white guys are
>white.

Something occurred to me while watching the video of them saying they wanted
"inspirational" employees running things.

Just who were they trying to inspire?

--
Let's go Brandon!