From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Ping Horny Goat
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 14:31:35 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 18:31 UTC

Is this the case that your daughter witnessed a few years ago? I
remember you pointing out that your daughter, Mary, was the one
interviewed by the media at the scene but I don't remember enough
details to say if it was this event or some other event at a Vancouver
library....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yannick-bandaogo-sentencing-north-vancouver-library-1.6897846

If it is the same event, did your daughter have to testify? If so, I
hope she was not too horribly traumatized by reliving the experience.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Ping Horny Goat

<sateailhje231hf0pmuf9mv8oomggmvb34@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=193269&group=rec.arts.tv#193269

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Ping Horny Goat
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 19:21:57 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 02:21 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 14:31:35 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Is this the case that your daughter witnessed a few years ago? I
>remember you pointing out that your daughter, Mary, was the one
>interviewed by the media at the scene but I don't remember enough
>details to say if it was this event or some other event at a Vancouver
>library....
>
>https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yannick-bandaogo-sentencing-north-vancouver-library-1.6897846
>
>If it is the same event, did your daughter have to testify? If so, I
>hope she was not too horribly traumatized by reliving the experience.

No she didn't have to testify but yes this is the case.

She's been traumatized multiple times:

- in grade 11 her lab partner was killed in a crash on the Squamish
(BC) highway (which is about as twisty and curvy as the cliff road by
Big Sur, CA)
- in 2005 when my mother (her grandmother) was run over by a 30' motor
home at the Tucson Gem Show (Mom was taken by ambulance to the
hospital and died on the front doorstep
- when my wife died 15 months ago she was the one who found her
unconscious in her computer chair (and never regained consciousness

My daughter has gotten mad at me for saying to a good friend of mine
that "she is doing well but is fragile" but the truth is that she is.
And it HAS affected her life as the 2005 event caused her to take time
off during law school in a way that hurt her on job interviews (she
didn't get an articling placement which meant she didn't get to write
her bar exams and thus is not now a lawyer)

Re: [OT] Ping Horny Goat

<u882ni$17fee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=193276&group=rec.arts.tv#193276

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 00:01:10 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 04:01 UTC

On 2023-07-06 2:31 PM, Rhino wrote:
> Is this the case that your daughter witnessed a few years ago? I
> remember you pointing out that your daughter, Mary, was the one
> interviewed by the media at the scene but I don't remember enough
> details to say if it was this event or some other event at a Vancouver
> library....
>
> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yannick-bandaogo-sentencing-north-vancouver-library-1.6897846
>
> If it is the same event, did your daughter have to testify? If so, I
> hope she was not too horribly traumatized by reliving the experience.

Once again, Tbird is being selective about which posts are coming
through. I read your reply directly in Google Groups but it's more
convenient to reply here.

I'm glad she didn't have to testify. I imagine that would have stirred
things up for her and brought lots of memories of what she saw when it
happened. I hadn't realized there were so many people hurt or that one
of the victims had died. Or maybe I'd just forgotten those details amid
all the other horrors in the world that we see in the news every day....

Losing people you're close to is always hard. We all experience that
from time to time as we live our lives but I'm not sure it ever gets a
lot easier. I can understand your daughter objecting to being called
fragile; she probably prefers to think of herself as strong and
resilient, even if she doesn't seem so to you....

--
Rhino