From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: SILO: "Outside" (ep. #1.10, the season #1 finale) (Definite SPOILERS for "Outside", and before)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 11:27:56 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:27 UTC

U E
S S

P O
I L
E R

P A
C E

M M
M M
?

OK, so what the finale attempts is a "double-twist" (exactly like a
"double-cross"!).

This introduces problems.

To review (before the finale): Juliette has finally gotten her hands on
the hard-drive.

But, of course, Juliette gets captured. (Why she didn't immediately
make a beeline to the hidden area below the silo that George showed
her, to look for the "door", is never explained.) In fact, she is
captured by Bernard, who has been revealed to be the "him" pulling the
strings of the Silo. (It was neither Judge Meadows nor Robert Sims
(Common) - in fact, Sims is just Bernard's "shadow".)

So Bernard, it appears, knows everything(?) of what is really going on.

Bernard declares that Juliette has "asked to go outside" (she never
did!!) and Sims agrees. She tries to escape but is arrested. But Paul
Billing's "syndrome" allows Juliette to escape from arrest (with the
hard drive) again!

By escaping to Sims' place, where she holds Sims' wife and son captive,
Juliette manages to access a file that George Wilkins left for her.
Later, with the help of Patrick Kennedy (Rick Gomez) and a hacker dude,
she also accesses the "cleaning" file that shows that the outside of
the silo is beautiful. She even manages, with their help, to broadcast
the "beautiful outside" image to some of the screens in the lower
levels before Bernard manages to squash it (but not before everyone in
the "surveillance room" sees the images).

In the finale, Juliette manages to evade capture long enough to get
down to Walk (Harriet Walter) and tell her something before Juliette is
arrested. But she is arrested at Walk's and Bernard "destroys" the hard
drive. (Is this the real hard drive, or a fake cooked up by Juliette
and Walker?)

Bernard makes a deal with Juliette - if Juliette will go outside, he
will show her what really happened to George, and he won't punish
anyone else. (Which is a lie, as he punishes Lukas, the guy in the
cafeteria who was pretty much almost entirely innocent.) Bernard shows
her the footage which reveals(?) that George killed himself rather than
let himself be taken in by Judicial.

Here's problem #1: We know that they can manipulate footage - who is to
say that the George footage isn't just a big "deepfake"?!

Anyway, frustratingly, Juliette never negotiates to have Bernard tell
her everything he knows as part of the deal. This is asinine, as by
this point she clearly wants to know. The fact that she doesn't
negotiate for this is pure writer fiat.

Worse, Juliette cavalierly reveals the existence of the door at the
bottom of the silo to Bernard - Why would she assume he knows about it?!

Later, Bernard seems to retrieve the drive part of the hard drive - I
took this to mean that he realized that he had destroyed a
fake/duplicate; Wiki says it's because he wants to retrieve the file on
the door at the bottom.

Then we get to the big reveal.

Based on whatever Juliette said to Walk, Walk figures out that the
"heat tape" used for the protective suits for the "cleaners" was
defective (intentionally) leading to the fast deaths of people like
Allison and Holston Becker. Walk goes outside of her place(!!) to go to
her ex, in Supplies, to make sure the tape for Juliette's suit is good.

Juliette is put outside. She defiantly refuses to "clean", which
garners boos from the residents of the silo who are watching. She
stumbles exactly where the Beckers did, but this is the equivalent of a
"jump-scare", and is just for dramatic effect. [roll]

Juliette figures out that what she is seeing in her visor is *exactly*
the same as the footage from the hard drive. IOW, it's a fake. An
illusion. (Apparently, just to get people to clean.) We never do
confirm if the bodies are really outside like shown in the display,
though...

Her suit working properly to keep out the... (radiation? poison?),
Juliette makes it to the top of the "hill" surrounding the silo, as the
silo residents watch. But Bernard knows that Juliette has figured out
the illusion, and runs away from the viewers, apparently down to Level
18.

Juliette's visor reveals the true picture. The outside is actually
exactly like the displays show - the Earth is destroyed(?), and there
is a ruined city (Atlanta, maybe?) off in the distance. But more
importantly, the "crater" that surrounds the silo isn't the only one -
there are dozens(?) more craters, that all(?) apparently contain other
silos.

OK, so here are the big problems:

If Bernard knows all of this is true, then why not just "read Juliette"
in?! Just telling Juliette everything Bernard knows would likely have
prevented all of the chaos, and they could have made her part of the
"conspiracy".

Instead, what happens doesn't make any sense - the secret they were
keeping is that the world really has gone to hell, and going outside
really does kill you?! Why not just tell her?!!

Also, if it's been at least about 250 years (100 years to the
"rebellion" and 140 years since) since what ever killed earth, that
"dead" tree outside of the silo would be long gone!!

Some questions:

Bernard has a mysterious "key" that seems to be for Level 18. I assumed
that allows him to contact the other silos? But the hard drive was also
"18" - So maybe it's something else. (Wiki may have spoiled me on
what...)

What's the door at the bottom of the silo? Based on the ending, I'm
guessing these doors attach all of the other silos to each other,
perhaps?

Reading Wiki on the "Silo" books kind of spoiled me on what likely
happens next. But based on the ending, I think it's kind of obvious.

Re: SILO: "Outside" (ep. #1.10, the season #1 finale) (Definite SPOILERS for "Outside", and before)

<f7d65d77-6238-4646-be3d-6b8ecbedcbf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=193693&group=rec.arts.tv#193693

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 11:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SILO: "Outside" (ep. #1.10, the season #1 finale) (Definite
SPOILERS for "Outside", and before)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:48 UTC

On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 2:28:02 PM UTC-4, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> [...]
> really does kill you?! Why not just tell her?!!
>
> Also, if it's been at least about 250 years (100 years to the
> "rebellion" and 140 years since) since what ever killed earth, that
> "dead" tree outside of the silo would be long gone!!
>
> Some questions:
>
> Bernard has a mysterious "key" that seems to be for Level 18. I assumed
> that allows him to contact the other silos? But the hard drive was also
> "18" - So maybe it's something else. (Wiki may have spoiled me on
> what...)
>
> What's the door at the bottom of the silo? Based on the ending, I'm
> guessing these doors attach all of the other silos to each other,
> perhaps?
>
> Reading Wiki on the "Silo" books kind of spoiled me on what likely
> happens next. But based on the ending, I think it's kind of obvious.

Will we ever see space aliens or nanobots?

> "Who would ever do this to him!?" - HottCiara on DOOL (04-27-2020), asking
> who would stab Victor Kirakis... How about ANYONE WHO'S EVER MET HIM??!!

Duct Tape: It kept Matt Damon alive for 6 months on Mars.

Don't buy the cheap Walmart brand, buy the original.

Re: SILO: "Outside" (ep. #1.10, the season #1 finale) (Definite SPOILERS for "Outside", and before)

<u8jo0d$2ucle$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=193881&group=rec.arts.tv#193881

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
SPOILERS for "Outside", and before)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:12:07 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:12 UTC

On 7/9/2023 11:27 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> ?
>
> OK, so what the finale attempts is a "double-twist" (exactly like a
> "double-cross"!).
>
> This introduces problems.
>
> To review (before the finale): Juliette has finally gotten her hands on
> the hard-drive.
>
> But, of course, Juliette gets captured. (Why she didn't immediately make
> a beeline to the hidden area below the silo that George showed her, to
> look for the "door", is never explained.) In fact, she is captured by
> Bernard, who has been revealed to be the "him" pulling the strings of
> the Silo. (It was neither Judge Meadows nor Robert Sims (Common) - in
> fact, Sims is just Bernard's "shadow".)
>
> So Bernard, it appears, knows everything(?) of what is really going on.
>
> Bernard declares that Juliette has "asked to go outside" (she never
> did!!) and Sims agrees. She tries to escape but is arrested. But Paul
> Billing's "syndrome" allows Juliette to escape from arrest (with the
> hard drive) again!
>
> By escaping to Sims' place, where she holds Sims' wife and son captive,
> Juliette manages to access a file that George Wilkins left for her.
> Later, with the help of Patrick Kennedy (Rick Gomez) and a hacker dude,
> she also accesses the "cleaning" file that shows that the outside of the
> silo is beautiful. She even manages, with their help, to broadcast the
> "beautiful outside" image to some of the screens in the lower levels
> before Bernard manages to squash it (but not before everyone in the
> "surveillance room" sees the images).

They were told to close their eyes and forget. So it doesn't count.
;-) The bigger question that wasn't answered is who *else* saw the
footage. We were never shown any other point of view.

> In the finale, Juliette manages to evade capture long enough to get down
> to Walk (Harriet Walter) and tell her something before Juliette is
> arrested. But she is arrested at Walk's and Bernard "destroys" the hard
> drive. (Is this the real hard drive, or a fake cooked up by Juliette and
> Walker?)
>
> Bernard makes a deal with Juliette - if Juliette will go outside, he
> will show her what really happened to George, and he won't punish anyone
> else. (Which is a lie, as he punishes Lukas, the guy in the cafeteria
> who was pretty much almost entirely innocent.) Bernard shows her the
> footage which reveals(?) that George killed himself rather than let
> himself be taken in by Judicial.
>
> Here's problem #1: We know that they can manipulate footage - who is to
> say that the George footage isn't just a big "deepfake"?!

That crossed my mind too. But for now, I'll assume it's real.

> Anyway, frustratingly, Juliette never negotiates to have Bernard tell
> her everything he knows as part of the deal. This is asinine, as by this
> point she clearly wants to know. The fact that she doesn't negotiate for
> this is pure writer fiat.
>
> Worse, Juliette cavalierly reveals the existence of the door at the
> bottom of the silo to Bernard - Why would she assume he knows about it?!

Why wouldn't she assume he knows? If he knows "everything" then he'd
know that too. It's not like he had a ton of time to think it over.

> Later, Bernard seems to retrieve the drive part of the hard drive - I
> took this to mean that he realized that he had destroyed a
> fake/duplicate; Wiki says it's because he wants to retrieve the file on
> the door at the bottom.
>
> Then we get to the big reveal.
>
> Based on whatever Juliette said to Walk, Walk figures out that the "heat
> tape" used for the protective suits for the "cleaners" was defective
> (intentionally) leading to the fast deaths of people like Allison and
> Holston Becker. Walk goes outside of her place(!!) to go to her ex, in
> Supplies, to make sure the tape for Juliette's suit is good.
>
> Juliette is put outside. She defiantly refuses to "clean", which garners
> boos from the residents of the silo who are watching. She stumbles
> exactly where the Beckers did, but this is the equivalent of a
> "jump-scare", and is just for dramatic effect. [roll]
>
> Juliette figures out that what she is seeing in her visor is *exactly*
> the same as the footage from the hard drive. IOW, it's a fake. An
> illusion. (Apparently, just to get people to clean.) We never do confirm
> if the bodies are really outside like shown in the display, though...
>
> Her suit working properly to keep out the... (radiation? poison?),

Here's a thought, outside is perfectly safe. The suit doesn't keep
anything out, on the outside. The people who die soon after going out
die because they are poisoned during decontamination. Exactly *why* do
you need to be "decontaminated" before going out into a poisonous
wasteland? However, if you happen to suit up using good tape, then the
poison can't penetrate the suit and you live once you're outside in the
nontoxic environment.

> Juliette makes it to the top of the "hill" surrounding the silo, as the
> silo residents watch. But Bernard knows that Juliette has figured out
> the illusion, and runs away from the viewers, apparently down to Level 18.
>
> Juliette's visor reveals the true picture. The outside is actually
> exactly like the displays show - the Earth is destroyed(?), and there is
> a ruined city (Atlanta, maybe?) off in the distance. But more
> importantly, the "crater" that surrounds the silo isn't the only one -
> there are dozens(?) more craters, that all(?) apparently contain other
> silos.
>
> OK, so here are the big problems:
>
> If Bernard knows all of this is true, then why not just "read Juliette"
> in?!

If he's telling the watchers to close their eyes then clearly the
secrets of the Silo aren't big enough for more than one or two people at
a time and she definitely isn't on that list. Plus then she wouldn't
get to go outside and set up season 2.

Just telling Juliette everything Bernard knows would likely have
> prevented all of the chaos, and they could have made her part of the
> "conspiracy".
>
> Instead, what happens doesn't make any sense - the secret they were
> keeping is that the world really has gone to hell, and going outside
> really does kill you?! Why not just tell her?!!
>
> Also, if it's been at least about 250 years (100 years to the
> "rebellion" and 140 years since) since what ever killed earth, that
> "dead" tree outside of the silo would be long gone!!
>
> Some questions:
>
> Bernard has a mysterious "key" that seems to be for Level 18. I assumed
> that allows him to contact the other silos? But the hard drive was also
> "18" - So maybe it's something else. (Wiki may have spoiled me on what...)
>
> What's the door at the bottom of the silo? Based on the ending, I'm
> guessing these doors attach all of the other silos to each other, perhaps?
>
> Reading Wiki on the "Silo" books kind of spoiled me on what likely
> happens next. But based on the ending, I think it's kind of obvious.

Don't read the Wiki!

Another question is Does Bernard know about the other silos. And is
there anyone left alive in them. Perhaps he does know about them and he
knows everyone in them died every time they read in someone like
Juliette instead of sending them out to clean.

Re: SILO: "Outside" (ep. #1.10, the season #1 finale) (Definite SPOILERS for "Outside", and before)

<u8joo4$2ufld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=193882&group=rec.arts.tv#193882

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:25:08 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:25 UTC

On 2023-07-11 14:12:07 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 7/9/2023 11:27 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>> ?
>>
>> OK, so what the finale attempts is a "double-twist" (exactly like a
>> "double-cross"!).
>>
>> This introduces problems.
>>
>> To review (before the finale): Juliette has finally gotten her hands on
>> the hard-drive.
>>
>> But, of course, Juliette gets captured. (Why she didn't immediately
>> make a beeline to the hidden area below the silo that George showed
>> her, to look for the "door", is never explained.) In fact, she is
>> captured by Bernard, who has been revealed to be the "him" pulling the
>> strings of the Silo. (It was neither Judge Meadows nor Robert Sims
>> (Common) - in fact, Sims is just Bernard's "shadow".)
>>
>> So Bernard, it appears, knows everything(?) of what is really going on.
>>
>> Bernard declares that Juliette has "asked to go outside" (she never
>> did!!) and Sims agrees. She tries to escape but is arrested. But Paul
>> Billing's "syndrome" allows Juliette to escape from arrest (with the
>> hard drive) again!
>>
>> By escaping to Sims' place, where she holds Sims' wife and son captive,
>> Juliette manages to access a file that George Wilkins left for her.
>> Later, with the help of Patrick Kennedy (Rick Gomez) and a hacker dude,
>> she also accesses the "cleaning" file that shows that the outside of
>> the silo is beautiful. She even manages, with their help, to broadcast
>> the "beautiful outside" image to some of the screens in the lower
>> levels before Bernard manages to squash it (but not before everyone in
>> the "surveillance room" sees the images).
>
> They were told to close their eyes and forget. So it doesn't count.
> ;-) The bigger question that wasn't answered is who *else* saw the
> footage. We were never shown any other point of view.

Yes - that was definitely a flaw with that sequence.

Also, they never followed up on the people who saw the "beautiful
footage" in the cafeteria just before the power was cut to fix the
generator...

> [...]
>> "jump-scare", and is just for dramatic effect. [roll]
>>
>> Juliette figures out that what she is seeing in her visor is *exactly*
>> the same as the footage from the hard drive. IOW, it's a fake. An
>> illusion. (Apparently, just to get people to clean.) We never do
>> confirm if the bodies are really outside like shown in the display,
>> though...
>>
>> Her suit working properly to keep out the... (radiation? poison?),
>
> Here's a thought, outside is perfectly safe. The suit doesn't keep
> anything out, on the outside. The people who die soon after going out
> die because they are poisoned during decontamination. Exactly *why* do
> you need to be "decontaminated" before going out into a poisonous
> wasteland? However, if you happen to suit up using good tape, then the
> poison can't penetrate the suit and you live once you're outside in the

Yes, I also considered that it was "decontamination" that kills you.

I was frustrated Juliettel never took off her helmet to see if the
outside was OK.

But, if the outside is "safe", it's harder to explain why Bernard and
co. would kill people going outside - Better to let them leave, and see
if somewhere outside if "liveable" now!...

>> Juliette makes it to the top of the "hill" surrounding the silo, as the
>> silo residents watch. But Bernard knows that Juliette has figured out
>> the illusion, and runs away from the viewers, apparently down to Level
>> 18.
>>
>> Juliette's visor reveals the true picture. The outside is actually
>> exactly like the displays show - the Earth is destroyed(?), and there
>> is a ruined city (Atlanta, maybe?) off in the distance. But more
>> importantly, the "crater" that surrounds the silo isn't the only one -
>> there are dozens(?) more craters, that all(?) apparently contain other
>> silos.
>>
>> OK, so here are the big problems:
>>
>> If Bernard knows all of this is true, then why not just "read Juliette" in?!
>
> If he's telling the watchers to close their eyes then clearly the
> secrets of the Silo aren't big enough for more than one or two people
> at a time and she definitely isn't on that list. Plus then she
> wouldn't get to go outside and set up season 2.

It still doesn't make any sense - Bernard likely causes far less
disruption if he just tells Juliette the truth, circa about episode #7.

But not telling Juliette, Bernard almost allowed her to cause a rebellion!

> > Just telling Juliette everything Bernard knows would likely have
>> prevented all of the chaos, and they could have made her part of the
>> "conspiracy".
>>
>> Instead, what happens doesn't make any sense - the secret they were
>> keeping is that the world really has gone to hell, and going outside
>> really does kill you?! Why not just tell her?!!
>>
>> Also, if it's been at least about 250 years (100 years to the
>> "rebellion" and 140 years since) since what ever killed earth, that
>> "dead" tree outside of the silo would be long gone!!
>>
>> Some questions:
>>
>> Bernard has a mysterious "key" that seems to be for Level 18. I assumed
>> that allows him to contact the other silos? But the hard drive was also
>> "18" - So maybe it's something else. (Wiki may have spoiled me on
>> what...)
>>
>> What's the door at the bottom of the silo? Based on the ending, I'm
>> guessing these doors attach all of the other silos to each other,
>> perhaps?
>>
>> Reading Wiki on the "Silo" books kind of spoiled me on what likely
>> happens next. But based on the ending, I think it's kind of obvious.
>
> Don't read the Wiki!
>
> Another question is Does Bernard know about the other silos. And is
> there anyone left alive in them. Perhaps he does know about them and
> he knows everyone in them died every time they read in someone like
> Juliette instead of sending them out to clean.

Click here to read the complete article