From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: THE DIPLOMAT Season 1 Episode 1
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 14:36:33 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:36 UTC

UK version

In this episode we are in Barcelona where the central characters are
diplomatic core of the UK working in Barcelona to help out distressed
UK citizens. The central story of this episode (and likely the series)
is the death of a young man. He was working at a party on a yacht as a
bartender when he supposedly went off on a joyride on a jet ski while
high on cocaine and fell off the jet ski and drowned. This is the
story that one of his workmates from the Faro restaurant who was also
working at the party told to the police and seemed to fit with what
they found.

The problems begin when the father arrives and after being taken by
British Consul Larua Simmonds to see his son's body the father notices
that his son's watch is missing. It was a special Rolex given to his
son by his parents and should have been with the body but no one knows
where it is. This leads him to want to question the girl who was
working with his son but the
staff at the restaurant won't tell him where she is or when she'll be
on duty (even though she is just a few feet away.)

We also get to meet the new General Consul who is replacing the
previous one after some apparently embarrassing behaviors led to him
being reassigned. The only things we learn about him is that he is
having an affair with the legal consul for Faro, who is supposed to
get married soon to the owner of Faro (and the yacht where the death
occurred) and that the GC likes to move things along quickly and
quietly like getting the father back to England.

There's also a side story with a hen party where one of the hens sees
the dad sitting on a bench looking like he's crushed (not
surprisingly) and spends some time talking to him even though there's
really not much to be done. This plays out later when a guy tries to
rob the hen and her mate with a knife only to have beat him up. It's
also possible that he may have been responsible for multiple stabbings
of British citizens in the area. Needless to say this takes some work
but the women are allowed to leave the country so we later see them at
the airport.

The same airport where we see the girl who was working the party who
has been given a ticket out of the country (presumably by the Faro
owner). As it turns out the Faro owner paid or threatened the girl to
tell the story to the police which clearly wasn't the accurate story.
More likely it seems like one of the guests at the party ended up
killing the guy after he defended the girl when the party guest got
way too fresh with her. Oh, and the girl has the son's watch so it
seems she must have been around when he died/ was killed.

That ends the episode so we have the girl and the two hens at the same
airport. What would you bet that they end up crossing paths before
long. Also the dad is still waiting for his son's body to be released.
Oh, I also forgot that the police discovered that the master key for
the jet ski is missing. Since it won't go anywhere without the key
that raises real questions about the death being some jet ski
accident.