Schizophrenia beats being alone.

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

SubjectAuthor
* Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousGary McGath
`* Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousKeith F. Lynch
 +* Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousKevrob
 |+- Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousKevrob
 |+- Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |`- Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousKeith F. Lynch
 `- Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerousGary McGath

1
Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<strjmj$ku6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1939&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1939

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:08:34 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 17:08 UTC

Nancy Pelosi has warned athletes at the China Olympics, "Do not risk
incurring the anger of the Chinese government." Shut up and don't criticize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9rlHgqkE0

Nice that she finally figured out how dangerous China's government is to
visitors, _after_ the Olympic athletes are there.

Fandom is so far proving just as slow. The vague hints that anyone who
advocates boycotting Chengdu will be smeared as "racist" is proving
enough to shut most people up.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<sts9m5$big$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1941&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1941

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:23:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:23 UTC

Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Fandom is so far proving just as slow. The vague hints that anyone
> who advocates boycotting Chengdu will be smeared as "racist" is
> proving enough to shut most people up.

Who in fandom has made those vague hints? I haven't seen or heard any.

Here's someone not in fandom who is doing more than hinting, in
response to Olympic-style posters posted at GWU critical of the
Chinese government:

Please know that I am personally offended by the posters.
... we are working to have all of these offensive posters removed
as soon as possible.

I too am saddened by this terrible event and we will undertake an
effort to determine who is responsible.

Sincerely,
Mark S. Wrighton, Ph.D.
President
The George Washington University

Unsurprisingly, the artist turned out to be Chinese.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2022/02/07/gwu-and-the-china-syndrome/
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<5d180fc0-a032-4e84-86cd-dfa09c49da42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1942&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1942

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:21:23 -0800 (PST)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 08:21 UTC

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 6:23:51 PM UTC-5, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> > Fandom is so far proving just as slow. The vague hints that anyone
> > who advocates boycotting Chengdu will be smeared as "racist" is
> > proving enough to shut most people up.
> Who in fandom has made those vague hints? I haven't seen or heard any.
>
> Here's someone not in fandom who is doing more than hinting, in
> response to Olympic-style posters posted at GWU critical of the
> Chinese government:
>
> Please know that I am personally offended by the posters.
> ... we are working to have all of these offensive posters removed
> as soon as possible.
>
> I too am saddened by this terrible event and we will undertake an
> effort to determine who is responsible.
>
> Sincerely,
> Mark S. Wrighton, Ph.D.
> President
> The George Washington University
>
> Unsurprisingly, the artist turned out to be Chinese.
>
> https://blog.simplejustice.us/2022/02/07/gwu-and-the-china-syndrome/
> --

Wrighton has backpedaled. Perhaps he remembered GWU is a creature of the
Commonwealth and, unlike a private University, must follow the 1st Amendment?

See:

https://www.thefire.org/message-from-george-washington-university-president-mark-wrighton-february-7-2022/

[quote]

I have since learned from our university’s scholars that the posters were designed by a Chinese-Australian
artist, Badiucao, and they are a critique of China’s policies. Upon full understanding, I do not view these
posters as racist; they are political statements. There is no university investigation underway, and the
university will not take any action against the students who displayed the posters.

[/quote] - https://president.gwu.edu/message-regarding-posters-displayed-campus

When I was at my private University, no posters were allowed to be posted without
prior approval of the "Office of Student Life." I had to go through the bureaucratic
paces in order to publicize the appearance on campus of the 1984 Libertarian
Presidential candidate. (David Bergland) I was responsible for taking the posters
down after the event, and OSL knew where I lived. I received nothing but co-operation
from University staff, though their political support probably was otherwise pledged.

--
Kevin R

Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<2a4d48a3-644f-4b89-867f-0e6755f9ce90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1943&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1943

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:47:05 -0800 (PST)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 08:47 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 3:21:24 AM UTC-5, Kevrob wrote:
> On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 6:23:51 PM UTC-5, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> > Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
> > > Fandom is so far proving just as slow. The vague hints that anyone
> > > who advocates boycotting Chengdu will be smeared as "racist" is
> > > proving enough to shut most people up.
> > Who in fandom has made those vague hints? I haven't seen or heard any.
> >
> > Here's someone not in fandom who is doing more than hinting, in
> > response to Olympic-style posters posted at GWU critical of the
> > Chinese government:
> >
> > Please know that I am personally offended by the posters.
> > ... we are working to have all of these offensive posters removed
> > as soon as possible.
> >
> > I too am saddened by this terrible event and we will undertake an
> > effort to determine who is responsible.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Mark S. Wrighton, Ph.D.
> > President
> > The George Washington University
> >
> > Unsurprisingly, the artist turned out to be Chinese.
> >
> > https://blog.simplejustice.us/2022/02/07/gwu-and-the-china-syndrome/
> > --
> Wrighton has backpedaled. Perhaps he remembered GWU is a creature of the
> Commonwealth and, unlike a private University, must follow the 1st Amendment?
>
> See:
>
> https://www.thefire.org/message-from-george-washington-university-president-mark-wrighton-february-7-2022/

Correction: GWU is in DC, and private, with a Science & Tech campus in Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_University

I think I confused it with George Mason. Mea culpa.
(No, that's Georgetown....)

> [quote]
>
> I have since learned from our university’s scholars that the posters were designed by a Chinese-Australian
> artist, Badiucao, and they are a critique of China’s policies. Upon full understanding, I do not view these
> posters as racist; they are political statements. There is no university investigation underway, and the
> university will not take any action against the students who displayed the posters.
>
> [/quote] - https://president.gwu.edu/message-regarding-posters-displayed-campus
>
> When I was at my private University, no posters were allowed to be posted without
> prior approval of the "Office of Student Life." I had to go through the bureaucratic
> paces in order to publicize the appearance on campus of the 1984 Libertarian
> Presidential candidate. (David Bergland) I was responsible for taking the posters
> down after the event, and OSL knew where I lived. I received nothing but co-operation
> from University staff, though their political support probably was otherwise pledged.
>
> --

University authorities might have been able to keep their mouths shut about
the content of the posters and just removed them as unauthorized decoration
of University property, unless other political protest posters have previously
been allowed to stay up. Missing out on a "virtue-signalling" opportunity was
probably too hard to resist.

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/02/07/a-free-speech-win-at-george-washington-university/

--
Kevin R

Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<sttbdm$4rb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1944&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1944

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 03:59:34 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 08:59 UTC

On 2/7/22 6:23 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Gary McGath <garym@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:
>> Fandom is so far proving just as slow. The vague hints that anyone
>> who advocates boycotting Chengdu will be smeared as "racist" is
>> proving enough to shut most people up.
>
> Who in fandom has made those vague hints? I haven't seen or heard any.

Item 1, by Paul Weimer:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/60266480

'Other areas of the SFF internet have just gone full bore Red Scare
racist, implying or saying that the CCP (Communist Party of China) has
“bought” a Worldcon. That in and of itself is nonsense. There are a LOT
of Chinese SF fans and this year, they mobilized.'

To cover all his bases, he tells us simultaneously that the objection to
Chinese SF fans who have no postal address is their racial makeup and
the international, mostly European Communist movement.

Item 2, a comment by Suzanne Palmer (a recent Hugo winner) on my own
blog post:

https://garymcgath.com/wp/silence-chengdu-worldcon/

"I personally heard, or was directly told, many racist things and wacky
conspiracies about the Chengdu bid at Worldcon, and I think this post is
missing a lot of critical nuance and kinda falling on the wrong side of
things in a really unfortunate way. Ping me if you want to discuss."

I asked her, in a reply to her comment, to elaborate. So far there's
been no response.

There was another article on a fannish website, which I've lost track
of, that talked about the Jeddah and Worldcon bids and strongly implied
that it was racist to say that China was dangerous to visiting
foreigners. I suppose the author of that article now thinks Pelosi is
racist.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<XnsAE38530A9C4E1taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1945&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1945

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 08:09:47 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:09 UTC

Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote in

> https://www.thefire.org/message-from-george-washington-university
> -president-mark-wrighton-february-7-2022/
>
> [quote]
>
> I have since learned from our university’s scholars that the
> posters were designed by a Chinese-Australian artist,

Had it turned out the student looked caucasian instead of said, I
suspect he'd have doubled down instead of backpedalling.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Pelosi belatedly figures out going to China is dangerous

<su232m$t4e$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1950&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#1950

From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 04:07:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 04:07 UTC

Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Wrighton has backpedaled. ...

> https://www.thefire.org/message-from-george-washington-university-president-mark-wrighton-february-7-2022/

I love thefire.org.

They recently defended an old high school friend of mine, whose university-
requested "land ackowledgement" was denounced by the university as
"inappropriate," "offensive," and "toxic."

https://www.thefire.org/university-of-washington-professor-created-toxic-environment-by-deviating-from-university-approved-language-about-native-american-land/
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/