"I suppose you expect me to talk." "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die." -- Goldfinger

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

SubjectAuthor
* Kamala vs. VEEPBTR1701
+- Re: Kamala vs. VEEPchromebook test
+* Re: Kamala vs. VEEPRhino
|`* Re: Kamala vs. VEEPBTR1701
| `* Re: Kamala vs. VEEPRhino
|  `* Re: Kamala vs. VEEPsuper70s
|   `- Re: Kamala vs. VEEPAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: Kamala vs. VEEPUbiquitous
 `- Re: Kamala vs. VEEPBTR1701

1
Kamala vs. VEEP

<AMWcnTdu64mFdDP5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194031&group=rec.arts.tv#194031

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Kamala vs. VEEP
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:55:36 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:55 UTC

This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
of the show VEEP.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4?tag=12

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<f5181c1d-45b3-4c64-a8a5-26ebaceb24a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194036&group=rec.arts.tv#194036

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Kamala vs. VEEP
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:25 UTC

On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 1:55:46 PM UTC-4, BTR1701 wrote:

> This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
> of the show VEEP.
>

> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4?tag=12

"All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Hebrew School"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkq-Fd9TU8k

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<u8ms7p$3avj6$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194041&group=rec.arts.tv#194041

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:43:03 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:43 UTC

On 2023-07-12 1:55 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
> of the show VEEP.
>

> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4?tag=12

I've never seen Veep but that short clip certainly makes it seem like
Harris is imitating Julia Louis-Dreyfuss. Was the character in Veep
supposed to be seeming profound but failing badly, too?

Every time I see Harris delivering one of her word-salads, I have the
feeling that some media adviser has told her than her primary job is to
say things that *sound* profound - but need not have any actual wisdom!
- to counter people's perception of her as being really strange because
of her frequent cackles.

--
Rhino

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<s8mcnVhNldjiYjP5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194049&group=rec.arts.tv#194049

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:31:11 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:31 UTC

On Jul 12, 2023 at 11:43:03 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-07-12 1:55 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>
>> This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
>> of the show VEEP.
>>

>> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4?tag=12
>>
> I've never seen Veep but that short clip certainly makes it seem like
> Harris is imitating Julia Louis-Dreyfuss.

You really should check it out. It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen,
all the more so because it mirrors real politics so accurately.

> Was the character in Veep supposed to be seeming profound but failing badly,
> too?

Yes, Julia's character, Selena Myers, was a hapless and scheming foul-mouthed
pol who ended up coming off as ridiculous in almost every public setting.

Much like, you know, Kamala.

> Every time I see Harris delivering one of her word-salads, I have the
> feeling that some media adviser has told her than her primary job is to
> say things that *sound* profound - but need not have any actual wisdom!
> - to counter people's perception of her as being really strange because
> of her frequent cackles.

Some of Kamala's greatest hits:

"You need to get to go. You need to be able to get where you need to go to do
the work. And get home."

"The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the
passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to
the passage of time."

"Well, I think culture is a reflection of our moment in our time and present
culture is how we express how we're feeling about the moment. We should always
find time to express how we're feeling about the moment that is a reflection
of joy, 'cause, you know, it comes in the morning." <followed by her signature
cackling>

"So I think it's very important, as you have heard from so many incredible
leaders for us at every moment in time and certainly this one, to see the
moment in time in which we exist and are present, and to be able to
contextualize it, to understand where we exist in the history and in the
moment as it relates not only to the past but the future."

"I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have
rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just
settled. Certain issues are just settled. And that's why I do believe that we
are living, sadly, in real unsettled times."

"You know, when we talk about our children-- I know for this group, we all
believe that when we talk about the children of the community, they are a
children of the community."

Winston Churchill she ain't. Maybe those drugs that were found in the White
House were Kamala's...

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<u8nesp$3dkq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194111&group=rec.arts.tv#194111

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 20:01:26 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 00:01 UTC

On 2023-07-12 3:31 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2023 at 11:43:03 AM PDT, "Rhino" <no_offline_contact@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-07-12 1:55 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>
>>> This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
>>> of the show VEEP.
>>>

>>> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4?tag=12
>>>
>> I've never seen Veep but that short clip certainly makes it seem like
>> Harris is imitating Julia Louis-Dreyfuss.
>
> You really should check it out. It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen,
> all the more so because it mirrors real politics so accurately.

I'll sample a couple of episodes and see what I think....

>> Was the character in Veep supposed to be seeming profound but failing badly,
>> too?
>
> Yes, Julia's character, Selena Myers, was a hapless and scheming foul-mouthed
> pol who ended up coming off as ridiculous in almost every public setting.
>
> Much like, you know, Kamala.
>
>> Every time I see Harris delivering one of her word-salads, I have the
>> feeling that some media adviser has told her than her primary job is to
>> say things that *sound* profound - but need not have any actual wisdom!
>> - to counter people's perception of her as being really strange because
>> of her frequent cackles.
>
> Some of Kamala's greatest hits:
>
> "You need to get to go. You need to be able to get where you need to go to do
> the work. And get home."
>
> "The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the
> passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to
> the passage of time."
>
> "Well, I think culture is a reflection of our moment in our time and present
> culture is how we express how we're feeling about the moment. We should always
> find time to express how we're feeling about the moment that is a reflection
> of joy, 'cause, you know, it comes in the morning." <followed by her signature
> cackling>
>
> "So I think it's very important, as you have heard from so many incredible
> leaders for us at every moment in time and certainly this one, to see the
> moment in time in which we exist and are present, and to be able to
> contextualize it, to understand where we exist in the history and in the
> moment as it relates not only to the past but the future."
>
> "I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have
> rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just
> settled. Certain issues are just settled. And that's why I do believe that we
> are living, sadly, in real unsettled times."
>
> "You know, when we talk about our children-- I know for this group, we all
> believe that when we talk about the children of the community, they are a
> children of the community."
>
> Winston Churchill she ain't.

That's for sure! I've just started Volume 4 of his history of the Second
World War. He's a really fine writer and a rather wise man to boot. As
someone commented about him in The World at War: "He was the finest
Englishman in 1000 years and he came along just when we needed him
most." Kamala Harris wouldn't have been fit to hold his jockstrap if
they lived at the same time....

> Maybe those drugs that were found in the White
> House were Kamala's...

Of all the people they could possibly have picked as Biden's VP, what
made her
the most qualified? Were the rest of the candidates all serial killers
or something? ("Not that there's anything wrong with that....")

Sorry, dumb question. These days VPs are NOT chosen for their presumed
ability to take over if the President dies in office: their role is to
be so appalling that no one would dare remove the President for fear
that the VP would take over. Assassination insurance, in other words.
And on that score, Harris is doing a WONDERFUL job!

--
Rhino

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<super70s-70E60F.23133612072023@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194139&group=rec.arts.tv#194139

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 23:13:36 -0500
 by: super70s - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 04:13 UTC

In article <u8nesp$3dkq5$1@dont-email.me>,

> Sorry, dumb question. These days VPs are NOT chosen for their presumed
> ability to take over if the President dies in office: their role is to
> be so appalling that no one would dare remove the President for fear
> that the VP would take over. Assassination insurance, in other words.
> And on that score, Harris is doing a WONDERFUL job!

By the same token I would've preferred Trump over the Ayatollah Pence,
it's which side your bread is buttered.

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<u8o188$3ip5f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194145&group=rec.arts.tv#194145

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:14:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:14 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>Sorry, dumb question. These days VPs are NOT chosen for their presumed
>>ability to take over if the President dies in office: their role is to
>>be so appalling that no one would dare remove the President for fear
>>that the VP would take over. Assassination insurance, in other words.
>>And on that score, Harris is doing a WONDERFUL job!

>By the same token I would've preferred Trump over the Ayatollah Pence,
>it's which side your bread is buttered.

Nothing you rant about makes any sense.

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<u8piqc$3njhg$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194253&group=rec.arts.tv#194253

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:20:44 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:20 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:

> This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
> of the show VEEP.
>
> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4

I see that Cackling Kamala has been dubbed the "AI Cczar" and gave a very stirring speech in which she
explained that "AI" is a word with two letters, the first letter standing for 'artifical" and the second
letter standing for "intelligence".

#VeepThoughts

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Kamala vs. VEEP

<ZbCcncLP6Nptwy35nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194271&group=rec.arts.tv#194271

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:30:40 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:30 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023 at 12:20:44 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
>
>> This is brilliant. It's almost like Kamala is attempting a real-life cosplay
>> of the show VEEP.
>>

>> https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1678711010381774848/pu/vid/720x1280/_cjUA-CEBiAoLACz.mp4
>
> I see that Cackling Kamala has been dubbed the "AI Cczar" and gave a very
> stirring speech in which she
> explained that "AI" is a word with two letters, the first letter standing for
> 'artifical" and the second
> letter standing for "intelligence".

We're off to a roaring start!