A fool must now and then be right by chance.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
      `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<UBI20230715@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194648&group=rec.arts.tv#194648

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

Disney Stock Drop Represents HUGE Loss for Company in May | Is Disney
Ready to Make Changes?:
Disney stock has dropped significantly since May 8th when the loss of 4
million subscribers was announced, along with a loss of over $600
million from streaming services. In this, his first solo video, OmniVac
discusses the stock drop, and offers his unique insights into the
situation! With Special Guest Star Harvey Cthuhlu (and NOTE: this is
the first video made ENTIRELY with Overlord DVD! The start of a
rebellion perhaps?) #disney #disneystock #fail
https://youtu.be/_XbIiEiH2VM

Baywatching Nights: The Curator:
Caroline stops by to be kidnapped and added to a crazy person's human
collection. Y'know, the usual.
https://youtu.be/X_OnQfmUmpU

Disney DESTROYS Snow White Bob Iger FAILS Again:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is being remade by Disney in a 2024
movie. Set photos of the Snow White remake have surfaced showing the
changes to the plot, characters and live action Snow White herself. Bob
Iger recently renewed his contract as CEO of Disney and spoke about the
Marvel MCU future, their Disney+ content output as well as the affect
their pace has had on audiences. Is Snow White 2024 worth watching?
I adore this man!
https://youtu.be/ZY3RFRWuEpg

BLAKE'S 7:
"The Way Back". Blake discovers he was a former leader of the resisence
who was brainwashed into forgetting his past life instead of being made
a maryr for the cause when he is invited to an illegal secret meeting
to protest the government. While he out for a walk, a Federation
security squad, lead by a traitor in the group, wipes out everyone
there. When they discover he survived, they arrest him on trumped-up
charges of child molestation and have him sent to a prison colony. His
attourney discovers the charges were fabricated and produce evidence
but is slain before Blake departs for the colony, where he meets a
thief and a smuggler. Someone fucked up this recording because after
the end of the show, it repeated the last 15 minues, then the first 15
minutes.
https://youtu.be/2warRbMFOpk

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
"The Left's DISTURBING Response to 'Sound of Freedom' Movie Success".
BlazeTV host Chad Prather and contributor Eric July join the show today
to discuss the movie 'Sound of Freedom' and the left's disturbing
response to its message and the popularity it had over the weekend. The
true story of former DHS agent Tim Ballard and his organization's
efforts to combat sex trafficking, is generating significant box office
success, expected to surpass $40 million. However, mainstream media
outlets like CNN and The Guardian have expressed discontent and
portrayed the film as a conspiracy-laden production targeting
"conspiracy theorists" and inducing moral panic. This stands in
contrast to the serious issue of human trafficking that the movie aims
to address. A recent Axios report highlights claims of President Joe
Biden's short temper and profanity-laden outbursts directed towards
staff members who fail to meet his expectations. According to sources,
Biden's frustration often leads to colorful and blunt language,
including phrases like "How the f--- don't you know this?" and "Don't
f---ing bulls--- me!" Aides have characterized these outbursts as a
demand for accuracy and competence, viewing them as a rite of passage.
Actor Jonah Hill's ex-girlfriend, Sarah Brady, took to Instagram over
the weekend to share a lengthy story accusing Hill of "emotional abuse"
during their relationship. https://youtu.be/z_wSUg37QC0

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
"Joe Rogan MOCKS MSNBC�s Bizarre Fitness White Supremacy Claim".
BlazeTV contributors Jaco Booyens and John Doyle join the show today to
discuss the year-old MSNBC article that claimed physical fitness is
tied to white supremacy. Elon Musk and Joe Rogan joined the chorus of
mockery aimed at an MSNBC opinion columnist's claim. Professor Cynthia
Miller-Idriss suggested that the far-right has exploited pandemic
fitness trends to radicalize combat-sports spaces. Musk and Rogan,
known for their interest in fitness, derided the assertion, with Musk
highlighting the blurring lines between parody and reality. Gal Luft,
an American-Israeli energy expert sought as a witness in House
Republicans' investigation into the Biden family's business dealings,
has been charged in the Southern District of New York. The charges
include failure to register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act,
arms trafficking, Iranian sanctions violations, making false
statements, and conspiracy to violate the International Emergency
Economic Powers Act. Jonah Hill's ex-girlfriend is speaking out on
their troubling relationship last year. Sarah Brady leaked their text
messages and is now claiming that she was emotionally abused by Hill,
but many are saying Hill was actually just setting boundaries.
https://youtu.be/mZY6ljv9RTs

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
"Ungrateful Zelenskyy's TEARFUL Plea to Be Invited into NATO |
7/12/23".
BlazeTV host Stu Burguiere and Justin Haskins, co-author of Glenn
Beck's new book, "Dark Future," join the show to discuss the recent
contentious meeting between the United States and Ukraine during a NATO
summit. President Zelenskyy criticized the delay in offering his
country a pathway to full NATO membership, deeming it "absurd." U.S.
National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan asserted that America deserves
gratitude for its significant military support of Ukraine. Evanston, a
suburb of Chicago, has made history by becoming the first city in the
United States to initiate reparations payments to black residents. The
Wall Street Journal reported that approximately 140 residents will
receive $25,000 each from the city by the end of the year. The
California state legislature is currently reviewing a bill that
proposes empowering judges to use sentencing in criminal cases as a
means to address and rectify racial bias prevalent in the broader
criminal justice system. The bill aims to provide judges with the
discretion to consider racial disparities when determining appropriate
sentences. Megan Rapinoe, a star of the U.S. women's soccer team, has
accused comedian Dave Chappelle of directly causing violence against
transgender people through his jokes on the issue. Rapinoe made these
remarks during an interview with Time magazine, during which she
further expressed her support for the transgender agenda. Meanwhile,
Dylan Mulvaney, who on TikTok recently claimed he felt unsafe in the
U.S., has fled to Peru and announced he will travel solo in South
America to reconnect with himself.
https://youtu.be/4_Zy5YUKJS4

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
"Ray Epps SUES Fox News: DOJ's Shocking Plans Revealed". BlazeTV
contributor Jaco Booyens joins the show today to discuss evidence that
the DOJ waited two years to investigate a figurehead of the January 6
protests at the nation's Capitol building. According to court
documents, protestor Ray Epps has been informed by federal law
enforcement officials that the Department of Justice plans to charge
him criminally for his actions at the Capitol on January 6, 2021. This
revelation was made in a lawsuit filed by Epps against Fox News,
accusing the network and former host Tucker Carlson of defamation.
Epps, who has been accused of being an undercover federal agent,
vehemently denies these claims. Sara will explore the latest
developments surrounding Epps and the potential forthcoming charges,
including FBI Director Christopher Wray's response during a
congressional hearing. The Department of Justice has faced criticism
after quietly removing sections related to child sex trafficking from
its website without providing an explanation. The original webpage,
which had remained unchanged since May 28, 2020, included sections
addressing various aspects of child sex trafficking. However, the
updated website removed sections related to international and domestic
sex trafficking of minors and to child victims of prostitution.
Maybelline is not making friends with conservatives as it partners with
a bearded man to promote an all-day lipstick during Amazon's Prime Day
sale. https://youtu.be/bvUgrEojfG4

FRINGE:
"Jacksonville". After a building in Manhattan is destroyed after it
merges with the same building from an alternate world, Walter believes
another building of the same mass will disappear, along with anybody
inside it. In order to uncover which building, the team rely on
Olivia's ability to recognize objects from the other universe. When she
cannot, they travel to Jacksonville, Florida, where Walter experimented
on her and other Cortexiphan subjects. There, Walter discovers Olivia
can find the building if she feels fear, which she is no longer able to
do, however, upon returning to Manhattan, Olivia becomes afraid for not
being able to save the people, and is able to use her ability again.
After evacuating the building before it disappears, Olivia visits Peter
and Walter's house. Because of her ability, she realizes Peter is from
the alternate world; Walter pleads with Olivia not to tell Peter.
Holy shit!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<1310378543.711206978.010127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194702&group=rec.arts.tv#194702

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 08:44:13 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:44 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>
> Holy shit!
>
> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

My air-conditioning is barely doing its job. It’s keeping it 30° to 40°
cooler than the outside world but when the outside world is 120 that’s not
good enough.

Meanwhile, since I’m laying on the couch suffering, I decided to compound
the suffering by watching STRANGE NEW WORLDS on the shiny new paramount +
they gave me again for free after canceling everybody’s accounts when they
merged with Showtime. Of course they gave me the version that doesn’t
include Showtime.

The pilot episode of the show was almost good. I’d give it five or six on a
scale of 10. But the second episode was a solid one. And the next few well
below five. Until we hit episode, I think it’s seven where suddenly an evil
cloud makes them all think they’re dressed up and acting in a fairytale .
It‘s as wretched an episode of Star Trek as I’ve ever seen and that
includes the one directed by Gates McMuffin, where everybody devolved into
different species.

It’s full of dialogue like extra special guest star, Lindy Booth, saying
stuff like “that’s an abandoned colony, only inhabited by the descendants
of the original colonists“

The stupid, it just burns.

And every episode wildly violates Star Trek history.

It’s like some horrible fanfiction, put together out of recycled clips and
bits from better shows by people that really don’t remember or understand
the context of those scenes.

I did like where Lindy Booth told Pike that his uniform was very yellow and
he corrected her and said it was technically gold because he’s the captain.
Then his dress uniform was lime green. It seems somebody isn’t going along
with this crap that Paramount is trying to sell that the original uniforms
were all green. Meanwhile Paramount has released TNG season one color
shifted to green and all the real humans look dead, and Data looks even
worse.

But when that’s the best moment in the entire series, you’ve got problems.

DEATH IN PARADISE S12E07P02.
The conclusion of what looked like a two-part episode, that actually trails
back years to before DI Neville joined the series, and the solution of
which requires Neville to have been criminally incompetent before he came
to the show or the island as well as his old partner, being criminally
incompetent and probably his whole department and the entire department on
the island to be completely incompetent, as well as the inspector they sent
from the home office, and how things were done to be completely
inexplicable, even after they were explained and for them to completely
forget, who committed one of the murders!

But the real crime was the lying propaganda. PBS surrounded the episode
with.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u915ui$qiu1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194705&group=rec.arts.tv#194705

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:30:10 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 16:30 UTC

On 2023-07-16 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I should have gotten work/grading done yesterday, but I didn't!

I opened the morning by putting on E!'s "Married by Mistake" with Chloe
Bennet on as background noise. The movie seems OK. Chloe Bennet has
kind of weird teeth though - you didn't notice it on "SHIELD!" because
she never smiled, but she smiles a lot in this flick so you notice it...

Then a couple more Bruce Willis flicks:

Trauma Center (Prime) - This 2019 film is randomly set (and thus
filmed) in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The film primarily stars Nicky Whalen as a waitress who witnesses
two men (Texas Battle, and Tito Ortiz!! - they are later revealed to be
dirty vice cop detectives) execute a police detective (Tyler Jon Olson
- who seems to be in nearly all of the latter-day Bruce Willis flicks:
I am assuming this is not coincidence, and Willis and he were for some
reason a "package deal"), and gets shot by them, and is then pursued by
them in the hospital lest she reveal too much.
Note: I don't think we ever do see a "trauma center" for more than 5
seconds in the entire film!!
In this one, Willis is more of a supporting player - another cop
trying to figure out who killed his C.I. and his fellow detective.
This one (filmed maybe late-2018?) seems to be mid-affliction Willis
- Willis has few direct interactions with co-stars in scenes, but still
manages a confident performance, and is still delivering medium-length
dialogue.

Survive the Game (Tubi) - This 2021 flick was also filmed in Puerto
Rico - in fact, for whatever reason, a significant percentage of
Willis' later films were produced in Puerto Rico.
This is very confusing: there are two recent films with Bruce Willis
and Chad Michael Murray - one is titled "Survive the Night" (2020) and
the other is titled "Survive the Game" (2021) - does anyone else see a
problem here?!!
In "Survive the Night", Murray plays a disgraced doctor with a
family... on a remote farm; in "Survive the Game" here, Murray plays a
recently widowed dude... who lives on a remote farm. At least "Survive
the Night" wasn't also filmed in Puerto Rico!!
Anyway, a cop (Swen Temmel - love the name!!) and two pyscho crooks
(perennial standby Zack Ward, and the attractive Kate Katzman) show up
on Murray's farm after a bust gone wrong in which the cop's partner
(Willis) got shot. Murray tries to order them off his farm, but he and
the cop lose control of the situation, and have to flee.
Then other bad guys show up as reinforcements. So the cop and Chad
Michael Murray need to evade, and possibly attrit! them.
Eventually, Willis' shot (and captured) cop pops up again too.
This is mostly later-affliction Willis. I think he has no real
meaningful scenes interacting with other actors - it's always just the
camera on Willis alone when he's delivering lines - and this has much
heavier use of ADR for Willis' dialogue.
Sidenote: Donna D'Errico has not aged well, and she's much smaller
than I thought she was. She also looks better as a brunette, rather
than as a blonde like in this film...

soaps: DOOL - OK, maybe they are finally moving to wrap up this
ricidulous Abe storyline - everybody seems to be getting closer to the
truth about the crazy nurse who kidnapped Abe, and the "actor"
accomplice is unlikely to keep quiet about all of this.
GH - Sasha gets busted for kidnapping, and most people seem to think
she's lost it (remember - she's being drugged by Gladys). Cody gets
roughed up by Selina Wu and her goon, after he is caught throwing a
poker game, and he is forced to cut Selina Wu in on his and Scotty
Baldwin's "big score". (Note: I hear Scotty Baldwin is on his way off
the show again...) Curtis almost dies during surgery and sees his mom
in the "in-between place", but realizes he needs to "come back" and
live, for Trina, et al.

Bodies Bodies Bodies (Showtime Extreme) - Finally got around to watching this.
This is another A24 special. :|
This turns out to be less a "horror movie" (though it definitely has
elements of that), and more a criticism(?) (and/or satire?) of the
Millennial/Post-Millenial generation. I think the point of the film is
that this generation is all about "frontin'" to the point that they are
completely empty inside (and thus prone to hysterics and paranoia).
Basically, a group of Millennials/Post-Millenials - plus Lee Pace!!
- gather for some sort of weekend getaway at a mansion, which happens
during a storm. But when they play the game called "Bodies Bodies
Bodies", things start to go horribly awry, and they start turning up
dead.
The movie is supposed to be partly comedic, but I only found the bit
where Pete Davidson sucker punches Lee Pace funny.
I do agree that the best performance here was from Rachel Sennott.

Dawn (Part 2): Secrets of the Morning (Lifetime) - In this one, Dawn
turns utterly pathetic, getting easily seduced by an obviously con
man-type (Joey McIntire), and then gets knocked up, and then lets
EVOL!!1! Donna Mills ship her off to another gothic mansion to deliver
the baby where she's tortured and oppressed by Mills' sisters, one
EVOL!!1! and one crazy. Of course, also, the baby gets stolen from her.
Meh.
This ends with Mills' character dying, though apparently she'll be
back to torture-haunt Dawn in Part 3 next weekend!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u9174h$qjv9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194707&group=rec.arts.tv#194707

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:50:26 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 16:50 UTC

What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

Stargate: SG-1 S7E15 'Chimera' DVD
"Sam is in good spirits. She has a new boyfriend, Pete Shanahan, a
policeman who happens to be her brother's friend. Their relationship is
becoming more serious, but Sam can't tell him what she really does or
about the Stargate program, and he begins to doubt her honesty about
exactly what she does at work. Daniel, meanwhile, is having strange
dreams, mostly about his time at the university with Sarah Gardner from
before he joined the Stargate program and before her body was taken over
by the Goa'uld Osiris. She is clearly developing a dream scenario in the
hopes that Daniel will be able to decipher a tablet that may lead her to
the lost city of the Ancients."
(Carter's dating a DeLuise!!!)

Colonel Jack O'Neill: [Sam is humming in the elevator] Humming?
Major Samantha Carter: I am?
Colonel Jack O'Neill: You are.
Major Samantha Carter: Sorry.
[long pause]
Colonel Jack O'Neill: What's his name?
Major Samantha Carter: Now, why would you...
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Humming.
Major Samantha Carter: Pete.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Pete?
Major Samantha Carter: Pete Shanahan. He's a cop.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Speeding again, are we?
Major Samantha Carter: From Denver. He's a friend of my brother.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Set up.
Major Samantha Carter: Pathetic, I know.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: No, it's great.
Major Samantha Carter: It's not serious or anything.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: And yet it is... humworthy.
(Trivia: The script called for Samantha to hum in the elevator but
didn't specify what to hum. She initially planned to hum the MacGyver
(1985) theme as a prank on Richard Dean Anderson but couldn't remember
it, so improvised by humming the Stargate SG-1 (1997) theme.)
Major Samantha Carter: Sir...
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Look Carter, its none of my business. I'm just
happy you're happy about something other than...quarks.
[both pause and look at each other for a long moment]
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Not bad with quarks?
Major Samantha Carter: Excellent.

Major General George Hammond: You're suggesting Osiris is here on Earth
manipulating Dr. Jackson's dreams?
Major Samantha Carter: We think it's possible, sir.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: Kinky.

Teal'c: Most often, dreams are merely the mind's way of dealing with
desires that cannot be fulfilled.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Oh. So basically, I'm destined never to get a good
night's sleep again.
Teal'c: Knowing your past experiences, Daniel Jackson, I do not know how
you have slept well before now.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Thank you, Teal'c. This conversation has been
disturbing on... many levels.

Colonel Jack O'Neill: [whispering into his microphone, testing radio
communications with Daniel's house] Hey, Daniel... Daniel! Are you
sleeping yet?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: [in normal voice] Yes, Jack. I'm fast asleep.

Major Samantha Carter: What I'm about to tell you is Classified under
section 11-C-9 of the National Security Act.
Pete Shanahan: Chicks with laser beam rings and glowing eyes are
Classified under 11-C-9?
(Trivia under "Goof" - There is no section 11 of the National Security
Act of 1947.)
(Or is the existence of section 11 of the National Security Act of 1947
.... classified.... o_O Actually in the commentary they admit they made
it up. :D )

Trivia: The role of Pete Shanahan was written for Ben Browder (Lt Col
Cameron Mitchell from season 9 onward) but he was unavailable.
Final appearance of Osiris/Sarah Gardner (played by Anna-Louise Plowman)
in the series.

Commentary: Director Will Waring, DP Peter Woeste and Writer Damian
Kindler. Kindler is also a "Supervising Producer" and he gets asked
what exactly a Supervising Producer does. His answer is that its the
lowest possible "rank" of Producer. Carter's boyfriend wasn't supposed
to be the typical square-jawed hero type except he's got the square jaw
of five men because he's a DeLuise. :D This commentary has a lot of
pauses as they watch the episode. The knock-out dress Tapping wears
when Carter and Pete go dancing was actually Tapping's, not something
from Wardrobe. With all the kissing and dreaming in the episode one of
the commentators felt the need to remind viewers that the show is called
Stargate and there is a Stargate nearby being used by other people.

---------------------

Stargate: SG-1 S7E16 'Death Knell' DVD
"Sam and her father are working at the new Alpha base trying to finalize
and test a weapon that will stop Anubis' new super soldiers. They
suddenly come under attack however and while many have escaped others
have yet to be located. O'Neill and Teal'c set out on a rescue mission
and find a wounded Jacob Carter. Sam is nowhere to be found. She's
actually wounded and on the run in the woods with a super soldier in
pursuit. Meanwhile, General Hammond is trying to find out how Anubis
learned the location of the new Alpha site. The Tok'ra believe the free
Jaffa are responsible but Hammond isn't so sure."

Jacob Carter: This prototype should have been done weeks ago.
Major Samantha Carter: It's done. It's just not... finished.
Jacob Carter: Interesting distinction.

Teal'c: Do you believe this prototype weapon will be effective
against it?
Colonel Jack O'Neill: We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

Goof: The Kull warrior is inconsistent with his shooting accuracy. He
couldn't hit a squatting Col. Carter with multiple shots, but had no
problem shooting down a flying UAV in one shot.

Trivia: The "prototype weapon" is a reused Reetou weapon.

And so much for the Tau'ri-Tok'ra-Free Jaffa Alliance.

Commentary: Director Peter DeLuise and Amanda Tapping. Discussion of
how Peter DeLuise's brother is telling him how good a kisser Amanda is
from 'Chimera'. DeLuise deliberately makes Sgt. Silar speak sibilant
"S" words in every episode.

------------------

Stargate: SG-1 S7E17 'Heroes: Part 1' DVD
"Everyone at the SGC is having to put up with Emmett Bregman, a
documentary filmmaker who has been tasked by the President to document
the Stargate program and the SGC's 1000th mission. Bregman is annoying,
flouts the rules and annoys virtually everyone at the base. Sam suspects
there's more to this documentary than meets the eye. Meanwhile, SG-13
travels to a planet where they find the ruins of a city that once
belonged to the Ancients. They also come across a probe that fires upon
them. The probe is determined to be of Goa'uld origin and when SG-13 is
again attacked, SG-1, Dr. Fraiser and two other teams are dispatched to
assist."

Cameron Balinsky: Look at this place, it's incredible!
Colonel Dave Dixon: Yeah, you seen one crumbled city...
Cameron Balinsky: This place was built by the Ancients.
Colonel Dave Dixon: You sure?
Cameron Balinsky: Yes, these markings and this stone
architecture... Dr Jackson is going to die when he sees this.
Colonel Dave Dixon: What, again?
Cameron Balinsky: Funny.

Major Samantha Carter: So you do your interview with the
documentary crew yet?
Teal'c: Indeed.
Major Samantha Carter: You know, I have to admit, I can't wait to
hear what everyone else said.
Teal'c: I did not say much.
Major Samantha Carter: Really? That is surprising. It's usually so
hard to shut you up.

Emmett Bregman: Is that who I think it is?
Colonel Tom Rundell: It's Colonel Jack O'Neill.
Emmett Bregman: Colonel O'Neill. Hi. I'm...
Colonel Jack O'Neill: I like vanilla over chocolate, my favorite
color is peridot, I think Tibet should be free and if I could have
dinner with anyone in the world, it'd be Mary Steenburgen.

Colonel Dave Dixon: Well, I don't see any indication of anything here.
Cameron Balinsky: Take the usual bet on that, sir?
Colonel Dave Dixon: Sure. Wells?
Senior Airman Simon Wells: Abandoned naquadah mine.
Colonel Dave Dixon: Boring. Good odds. Bosworth?
Senior Airman Jake Bosworth: I'm gonna put my money on trees, sir.
Colonel Dave Dixon: Bosworth's disqualified for being a smart ass.
I'll go with two-headed aliens.
Senior Airman Simon Wells: Hostile or friendly, sir?
Colonel Dave Dixon: One head good, one head bad. Balinsky?
Cameron Balinsky: Oh, ruins of an ancient city.
Colonel Dave Dixon: Yeah, you wish.

Colonel Jack O'Neill: Sir? It's not that I don't appreciate...
Major General George Hammond: [Interrupting] I knew Kinsey and
Bregman were headed your way, and I thought you might be looking for an
excuse to get away, Colonel.
Colonel Jack O'Neill: I thought as much, sir, and I just wanted to
express my deep and unyielding
[pause]
Colonel Jack O'Neill: love for you, sir.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u9181h$qp2r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194709&group=rec.arts.tv#194709

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 10:03:09 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:03 UTC

On 7/16/2023 9:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2023-07-16 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I should have gotten work/grading done yesterday, but I didn't!
>
> I opened the morning by putting on E!'s "Married by Mistake" with Chloe
> Bennet on as background noise. The movie seems OK. Chloe Bennet has kind
> of weird teeth though - you didn't notice it on "SHIELD!" because she
> never smiled, but she smiles a lot in this flick so you notice it...

What? Did Chloe marry someone by mistake or is she making fun of others
who did?

> Then a couple more Bruce Willis flicks:
>
> Trauma Center (Prime) - This 2019 film is randomly set (and thus filmed)
> in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
>   The film primarily stars Nicky Whalen as a waitress who witnesses two
> men (Texas Battle, and Tito Ortiz!! - they are later revealed to be
> dirty vice cop detectives) execute a police detective (Tyler Jon Olson -
> who seems to be in nearly all of the latter-day Bruce Willis flicks: I
> am assuming this is not coincidence, and Willis and he were for some
> reason a "package deal"), and gets shot by them, and is then pursued by
> them in the hospital lest she reveal too much.
>   Note: I don't think we ever do see a "trauma center" for more than 5
> seconds in the entire film!!
>   In this one, Willis is more of a supporting player - another cop
> trying to figure out who killed his C.I. and his fellow detective.
>   This one (filmed maybe late-2018?) seems to be mid-affliction Willis
> - Willis has few direct interactions with co-stars in scenes, but still
> manages a confident performance, and is still delivering medium-length
> dialogue.
>
> Survive the Game (Tubi) - This 2021 flick was also filmed in Puerto Rico
> - in fact, for whatever reason, a significant percentage of Willis'
> later films were produced in Puerto Rico.
>   This is very confusing: there are two recent films with Bruce Willis
> and Chad Michael Murray - one is titled "Survive the Night" (2020) and
> the other is titled "Survive the Game" (2021) - does anyone else see a
> problem here?!!
>   In "Survive the Night", Murray plays a disgraced doctor with a
> family... on a remote farm; in "Survive the Game" here, Murray plays a
> recently widowed dude... who lives on a remote farm. At least "Survive
> the Night" wasn't also filmed in Puerto Rico!!
>   Anyway, a cop (Swen Temmel - love the name!!) and two pyscho crooks
> (perennial standby Zack Ward, and the attractive Kate Katzman) show up
> on Murray's farm after a bust gone wrong in which the cop's partner
> (Willis) got shot. Murray tries to order them off his farm, but he and
> the cop lose control of the situation, and have to flee.
>   Then other bad guys show up as reinforcements. So the cop and Chad
> Michael Murray need to evade, and possibly attrit! them.
>   Eventually, Willis' shot (and captured) cop pops up again too.
>   This is mostly later-affliction Willis. I think he has no real
> meaningful scenes interacting with other actors - it's always just the
> camera on Willis alone when he's delivering lines - and this has much
> heavier use of ADR for Willis' dialogue.
>   Sidenote: Donna D'Errico has not aged well, and she's much smaller
> than I thought she was. She also looks better as a brunette, rather than
> as a blonde like in this film...

I am a Bruce Willis fan and yet I've never even heard of these movies.

> soaps: DOOL - OK, maybe they are finally moving to wrap up this
> ricidulous Abe storyline - everybody seems to be getting closer to the
> truth about the crazy nurse who kidnapped Abe, and the "actor"
> accomplice is unlikely to keep quiet about all of this.
>   GH - Sasha gets busted for kidnapping, and most people seem to think
> she's lost it (remember - she's being drugged by Gladys). Cody gets
> roughed up by Selina Wu and her goon, after he is caught throwing a
> poker game, and he is forced to cut Selina Wu in on his and Scotty
> Baldwin's "big score". (Note: I hear Scotty Baldwin is on his way off
> the show again...) Curtis almost dies during surgery and sees his mom in
> the "in-between place", but realizes he needs to "come back" and live,
> for Trina, et al.
>
> Bodies Bodies Bodies (Showtime Extreme) - Finally got around to watching
> this.
>   This is another A24 special.  :|
>   This turns out to be less a "horror movie" (though it definitely has
> elements of that), and more a criticism(?) (and/or satire?) of the
> Millennial/Post-Millenial generation. I think the point of the film is
> that this generation is all about "frontin'" to the point that they are
> completely empty inside (and thus prone to hysterics and paranoia).
>   Basically, a group of Millennials/Post-Millenials - plus Lee Pace!! -
> gather for some sort of weekend getaway at a mansion, which happens
> during a storm. But when they play the game called "Bodies Bodies
> Bodies", things start to go horribly awry, and they start turning up dead.
>   The movie is supposed to be partly comedic, but I only found the bit
> where Pete Davidson sucker punches Lee Pace funny.
>   I do agree that the best performance here was from Rachel Sennott.

I have this in my Netflix disc rental queue, but if I can stream it I
can remove it from the queue. One of the main benefits of disc rental
over streaming that I'm going to miss is with discs I actually would
watch the movie. But with streaming everything is just there and so
nothing gets watched.

I watched:

Q - The Winged Serpent (Cinemax) - 1982 movie written and directed by
Larry Cohen and starring Michael Moriarty. The plot involves a giant
flying monster that's killing people in New York. David Carradine and
Richard Roundtree also star as two cops on the case before they realize
it's a flying monster. Moriarty's character is a small-time crook who
finds where the monster is living and agrees to lead the police to it
for a price. I saw it once before in 2007 when I rented the DVD from
Netflix. I didn't remember it, but I gave it a bad rating, so I really
was in no hurry to revisit it. But now I was *forced* to watch this
movie! It was recorded in 2021 and was the oldest movie sitting on my
DVR. I had *no* plans to watch this movie this year, but with my DVR
deleting things on its' own it went to the top of the list.

The Stuff (blu-ray) 1985 movie written and directed by Larry Cohen and
starring Michael Moriarty. It's basically a cross between "The Blob"
and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (Cohen worked on the 1993 Body
Snatchers remake). Moriarty plays a corporate espionage guy whose hired
by the ice cream companies to look into a mysterious new yogurt that's
so addictive it's putting them out of business. Moriarty soon discovers
the yogurt has a mind of its' own and once people eat it they are under
its' control. A bit dated but otherwise holds up OK.

A Return to Salem's Lot (blu-ray) 1987 movie written and directed by
Larry Cohen and starring Michael Moriarty. Moriarty plays a writer who
returns to his old hometown of Salem's Lot along with his troubled son
to collect his inheritance. But once there he finds the vampires have
plans for him and his boy. With help from an old Nazi hunter they
decide to fight back. I saw this on TV when I was a kid before I ever
saw the first movie. I think I liked it a lot more when I was a kid.
At the time I'm not sure I even knew there was a first movie. But once
I knew there were two of them I always thought that this was the one
that was made for TV. But watching it now, it's clear this was clearly
made for the theater with all the not safe for TV language.

Masters of Horror (blu-ray) - "Pick Me Up" - Season 1 episode of the
2005 Anthology that aired on Showtime. This episode was directed by
Larry Cohen and starred Michael Moriarty. If I didn't know any better,
I could swear there was a theme going on here. Anyway, SPOILERS for an
old episode of a TV show. Moriarty plays a trucker who picks up a few
passengers who were stranded on the side of the road after their bus
broke down. Fairuza Balk also stars as one of the passengers who
decides to walk instead of hitching a ride. Turns out Moriarty is a
psycho who likes to murder people he picks up from the road. This
episode involves two psychos with dueling philosophies, targeting people
in need of help on the road and they not so coincidentally all manage to
cross each other's paths. Waren Kole (Yellowjackets) plays the other
psycho. He prefers to get his victims by hitching rides with people.
Neither respects the other's way of doing things so they decide to have
a murder off with Fairuza caught in the middle. Watching these
performances back-to-back, this is by far Moriarty's best performance.
This turned out to be better than I was expecting and went back and
rewatched with the Larry Cohen commentary.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u91cdp$r620$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194710&group=rec.arts.tv#194710

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 11:20:41 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 18:20 UTC

On 2023-07-16 17:03:09 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 7/16/2023 9:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2023-07-16 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I should have gotten work/grading done yesterday, but I didn't!
>>
>> I opened the morning by putting on E!'s "Married by Mistake" with Chloe
>> Bennet on as background noise. The movie seems OK. Chloe Bennet has
>> kind of weird teeth though - you didn't notice it on "SHIELD!" because
>> she never smiled, but she smiles a lot in this flick so you notice it...
>
> What? Did Chloe marry someone by mistake or is she making fun of
> others who did?

Somehow, she accidentally marries a guy (I missed this part), but ends
up falling for his brother. Meanwhile, the groom is actually in love
with another attractive woman. But they "play at" being married for a
while first... Meh.

> [...]
> sister to be secretly kidnapped and replaced by an evil troll (Phil
> Fondacaro) bent on world domination. Moriarty plays his father and
> Lockhart plays a good witch who helps Noah. The movie holds up very
> well. And I still can't wrap my head around Richard Band wrote the
> score for this movie. How in the world did he come up with it?
>

> Troll 2 (blu-ray) - 1990 "horror" film that was on the same disc as
> "Toll" It's a sequel in name only and has *nothing* to do with the
> first movie. They never even use the word "Troll" in the movie. The
> monsters are explicitly and repeatably called "goblins". I don't think
> I've watched it since catching it on TV back in the early 90s. This
> movie is rightfully considered one of the worst movies ever made but
> has since gone on to cult status. It was pretty much background noise

Heh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_2

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u91dra$r9jv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194713&group=rec.arts.tv#194713

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 11:44:50 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 18:44 UTC

On 7/16/2023 9:50 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)
>
> Stargate: SG-1 S7E15 'Chimera' DVD
> "Sam is in good spirits. She has a new boyfriend, Pete Shanahan,

"Pete"? That's just lazy writing!

> policeman who happens to be her brother's friend. Their relationship is
> becoming more serious, but Sam can't tell him what she really does or
> about the Stargate program, and he begins to doubt her honesty about
> exactly what she does at work. Daniel, meanwhile, is having strange
> dreams, mostly about his time at the university with Sarah Gardner from
> before he joined the Stargate program and before her body was taken over
> by the Goa'uld Osiris. She is clearly developing a dream scenario in the
> hopes that Daniel will be able to decipher a tablet that may lead her to
> the lost city of the Ancients."
> (Carter's dating a DeLuise!!!)

If they're not careful they're going to run out of relatives to put on
the show.

<u91fif$re2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194715&group=rec.arts.tv#194715

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 12:14:25 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 19:14 UTC

On 7/16/2023 11:44 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 7/16/2023 9:50 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)
>>
>> Stargate: SG-1 S7E15 'Chimera' DVD
>> "Sam is in good spirits. She has a new boyfriend, Pete Shanahan,
>

> "Pete"?  That's just lazy writing!

>> policeman who happens to be her brother's friend. Their relationship
>> is becoming more serious, but Sam can't tell him what she really does
>> or about the Stargate program, and he begins to doubt her honesty
>> about exactly what she does at work. Daniel, meanwhile, is having
>> strange dreams, mostly about his time at the university with Sarah
>> Gardner from before he joined the Stargate program and before her body
>> was taken over by the Goa'uld Osiris. She is clearly developing a
>> dream scenario in the hopes that Daniel will be able to decipher a
>> tablet that may lead her to the lost city of the Ancients."
>> (Carter's dating a DeLuise!!!)
>>

> If they're not careful they're going to run out of relatives to put on
> the show.

I think this was the last of the DeLuises in the queue. :)

> [...]
>>      Colonel Jack O'Neill: love for you, sir.
>>
>> [Dr. Daniel Jackson receives a page and runs off with Emmett Bregman
>> and his camera crew running after him to Jackson's office where he's
>> just received a fax with some laboratory test results.]
>> Emmett Bregman: What is the significance of that?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Its fascinating.
>> Emmett Bregman [to his cameraman]: Okay, back up.  Back up!
>> Emmett Bregman [to Jackson]: That's it?  Its ... fascinating?  Why
>> were we running?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Oh.  I just wanted to see if you'd chase me.
>>
>> Trivia: This was not originally written as a 2 part episode, but after
>> filming the dialog the story would not fit into a single episode. It
>> was turned into a 2 part by filming two additional scenes and using
>> some extended action sequences.
>>

> Did they scrap an episode or just write one less?

Dunno, they didn't say.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<388636992.711224851.939474.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194734&group=rec.arts.tv#194734

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 14:36:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 21:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-16 17:03:09 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

>>> I should have gotten work/grading done yesterday, but I didn't!
>>>
>>> I opened the morning by putting on E!'s "Married by Mistake" with Chloe
>>> Bennet on as background noise. The movie seems OK. Chloe Bennet has
>>> kind of weird teeth though - you didn't notice it on "SHIELD!" because
>>> she never smiled, but she smiles a lot in this flick so you notice it...

She probably got them dating Logan Paul. Deserves them, too.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u937k3$14ksu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194778&group=rec.arts.tv#194778

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 08:30 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>My air-conditioning is barely doing its job. It's keeping it 30° to 40°
>cooler than the outside world but when the outside world is 120 that's not
>good enough.

At least it's a dry heat, unlike Florida.

>Meanwhile, since I'm laying on the couch suffering, I decided to compound
>the suffering by watching STRANGE NEW WORLDS on the shiny new paramount +
>they gave me again for free after canceling everybody's accounts when they
>merged with Showtime. Of course they gave me the version that doesn't
>include Showtime.
>
>The pilot episode of the show was almost good. I'd give it five or six on a
>scale of 10. But the second episode was a solid one. And the next few well
>below five. Until we hit episode, I think it's seven where suddenly an evil
>cloud makes them all think they're dressed up and acting in a fairytale .
>It's as wretched an episode of Star Trek as I've ever seen and that
>includes the one directed by Gates McMuffin, where everybody devolved into
>different species.

I only saw the one where Pike was convinced to not change history via a
remake of Balance of Terror with him as Captain.

I heard there's another in which he finds a planet where he can be
rehabilitated after his future accident but they use child slave labor.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u9380l$14ksu$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194779&group=rec.arts.tv#194779

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 04:30:42 -0400

In article <u9181h$qp2r$2@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>The Stuff (blu-ray) 1985 movie written and directed by Larry Cohen and
>starring Michael Moriarty. It's basically a cross between "The Blob"
>and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (Cohen worked on the 1993 Body
>Snatchers remake). Moriarty plays a corporate espionage guy whose hired
>by the ice cream companies to look into a mysterious new yogurt that's
>so addictive it's putting them out of business. Moriarty soon discovers
>the yogurt has a mind of its' own and once people eat it they are under
>its' control. A bit dated but otherwise holds up OK.

I remember watching that one from Blockbuster.

>A Return to Salem's Lot (blu-ray) 1987 movie written and directed by
>Larry Cohen and starring Michael Moriarty. Moriarty plays a writer who
>returns to his old hometown of Salem's Lot

We have a title!

>Masters of Horror (blu-ray) - "Pick Me Up" - Season 1 episode of the
>2005 Anthology that aired on Showtime. This episode was directed by
>Larry Cohen and starred Michael Moriarty. If I didn't know any better,
>I could swear there was a theme going on here.

I heard about this series but decided not to bother watching it because it
was more Angry Left propoganda than horror.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<1196295603.711327424.746343.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194836&group=rec.arts.tv#194836

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:58:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 22:58 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> My air-conditioning is barely doing its job. It's keeping it 30° to 40°
>> cooler than the outside world but when the outside world is 120 that's not
>> good enough.
>
> At least it's a dry heat, unlike Florida.
>
>> Meanwhile, since I'm laying on the couch suffering, I decided to compound
>> the suffering by watching STRANGE NEW WORLDS on the shiny new paramount +
>> they gave me again for free after canceling everybody's accounts when they
>> merged with Showtime. Of course they gave me the version that doesn't
>> include Showtime.
>>
>> The pilot episode of the show was almost good. I'd give it five or six on a
>> scale of 10. But the second episode was a solid one. And the next few well
>> below five. Until we hit episode, I think it's seven where suddenly an evil
>> cloud makes them all think they're dressed up and acting in a fairytale .
>> It's as wretched an episode of Star Trek as I've ever seen and that
>> includes the one directed by Gates McMuffin, where everybody devolved into
>> different species.
>
> I only saw the one where Pike was convinced to not change history via a
> remake of Balance of Terror with him as Captain.
>
> I heard there's another in which he finds a planet where he can be
> rehabilitated after his future accident but they use child slave labor.

Sort of. That’s the one that Ian likes because it’s stars Lindy Booth.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<1121442283.711393636.957583.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194940&group=rec.arts.tv#194940

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:35:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:35 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 7/16/2023 9:50 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)
>>
>> Stargate: SG-1 S7E15 'Chimera' DVD

I watched the NCIS episode “chimera” last night…

>> "Sam is in good spirits. She has a new boyfriend, Pete Shanahan,
>

> "Pete"? That's just lazy writing!

>> policeman who happens to be her brother's friend. Their relationship is
>> becoming more serious, but Sam can't tell him what she really does or
>> about the Stargate program, and he begins to doubt her honesty about
>> exactly what she does at work. Daniel, meanwhile, is having strange
>> dreams, mostly about his time at the university with Sarah Gardner from
>> before he joined the Stargate program and before her body was taken over
>> by the Goa'uld Osiris. She is clearly developing a dream scenario in the
>> hopes that Daniel will be able to decipher a tablet that may lead her to
>> the lost city of the Ancients."
>> (Carter's dating a DeLuise!!!)
>>

> If they're not careful they're going to run out of relatives to put on
> the show.

They can always start casting their wives as Cameron’s old girlfriends or
something.

> [...]
>> sleeping yet?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: [in normal voice] Yes, Jack. I'm fast asleep.
>>
>> Major Samantha Carter: What I'm about to tell you is Classified under
>> section 11-C-9 of the National Security Act.
>> Pete Shanahan: Chicks with laser beam rings and glowing eyes are
>> Classified under 11-C-9?
>> (Trivia under "Goof" - There is no section 11 of the National Security
>> Act of 1947.)
>> (Or is the existence of section 11 of the National Security Act of 1947
>> ... classified....  o_O  Actually in the commentary they admit they made
>> it up.  :D )
>>
>> Trivia: The role of Pete Shanahan was written for Ben Browder (Lt Col
>> Cameron Mitchell from season 9 onward) but he was unavailable.
>> Final appearance of Osiris/Sarah Gardner (played by Anna-Louise Plowman)

I haz a sad.

> [...]
>> we running?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Oh.  I just wanted to see if you'd chase me.
>>
>> Trivia: This was not originally written as a 2 part episode, but after
>> filming the dialog the story would not fit into a single episode. It was
>> turned into a 2 part by filming two additional scenes and using some
>> extended action sequences.
>>

> Did they scrap an episode or just write one less?
>
>> Commentary: Director Andy Mikita, DP Andy Wilson.  They got to use a new
>> Sony camera for the documentary crew's footage.  The episode was
>> originally set up to be something that could be shot "as time allowed"
>> with the second unit doing almost all the filming and using regular cast
>> as and when they were available between working on other episodes.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u96qsh$1p35h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194943&group=rec.arts.tv#194943

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 12:58:11 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:58 UTC

On 7/18/2023 10:35 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> Stargate: SG-1 S7E17 'Heroes: Part 1' DVD
>>> "Everyone at the SGC is having to put up with Emmett Bregman, a
>>> documentary filmmaker who has been tasked by the President to document
>>> the Stargate program and the SGC's 1000th mission. Bregman is annoying,
>>> flouts the rules and annoys virtually everyone at the base. Sam suspects
>>> there's more to this documentary than meets the eye. Meanwhile, SG-13
>>> travels to a planet where they find the ruins of a city that once
>>> belonged to the Ancients. They also come across a probe that fires upon
>>> them. The probe is determined to be of Goa'uld origin and when SG-13 is
>>> again attacked, SG-1, Dr. Fraiser and two other teams are dispatched to
>>> assist."
<space snippage>
>>> Commentary: Director Andy Mikita, DP Andy Wilson.  They got to use a new
>>> Sony camera for the documentary crew's footage.  The episode was
>>> originally set up to be something that could be shot "as time allowed"
>>> with the second unit doing almost all the filming and using regular cast
>>> as and when they were available between working on other episodes.
>>>

> I’ve never liked this episode. I have known a lot of people like Bregman,
> and they aren’t good people at the core who are going to have a change of
> heart and do the right thing. Every last one of them is lying vermin and
> will stab you in the back at every opportunity.

What did you think of the second part?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<1763964309.711413327.119575.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194947&group=rec.arts.tv#194947

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:50:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:50 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> <space snippage>
>>>>

>> I’ve never liked this episode. I have known a lot of people like Bregman,
>> and they aren’t good people at the core who are going to have a change of
>> heart and do the right thing. Every last one of them is lying vermin and
>> will stab you in the back at every opportunity.
>>
> What did you think of the second part?

It made me sad.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<2063346800.711555238.659662.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195195&group=rec.arts.tv#195195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:25:14 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:25 UTC

> [...]
>> on Murray's farm after a bust gone wrong in which the cop's partner
>> (Willis) got shot. Murray tries to order them off his farm, but he and
>> the cop lose control of the situation, and have to flee.
>>   Then other bad guys show up as reinforcements. So the cop and Chad
>> Michael Murray need to evade, and possibly attrit! them.
>>   Eventually, Willis' shot (and captured) cop pops up again too.
>>   This is mostly later-affliction Willis. I think he has no real
>> meaningful scenes interacting with other actors - it's always just the
>> camera on Willis alone when he's delivering lines - and this has much
>> heavier use of ADR for Willis' dialogue.
>>   Sidenote: Donna D'Errico has not aged well, and she's much smaller
>> than I thought she was. She also looks better as a brunette, rather than
>> as a blonde like in this film...
>>

> I am a Bruce Willis fan and yet I've never even heard of these movies.

That’s what I found as well when Ian and I started tracking down these
strange films where he’s usually just making a cameo from behind a desk.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u9bgsf$2ofc8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195198&group=rec.arts.tv#195198

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:38:07 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:38 UTC

On 2023-07-20 14:25:14 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> [...]
>>>   Then other bad guys show up as reinforcements. So the cop and Chad
>>> Michael Murray need to evade, and possibly attrit! them.
>>>   Eventually, Willis' shot (and captured) cop pops up again too.
>>>   This is mostly later-affliction Willis. I think he has no real
>>> meaningful scenes interacting with other actors - it's always just the
>>> camera on Willis alone when he's delivering lines - and this has much
>>> heavier use of ADR for Willis' dialogue.
>>>   Sidenote: Donna D'Errico has not aged well, and she's much smaller
>>> than I thought she was. She also looks better as a brunette, rather than
>>> as a blonde like in this film...
>>
>> I am a Bruce Willis fan and yet I've never even heard of these movies.
>
> That’s what I found as well when Ian and I started tracking down these
> strange films where he’s usually just making a cameo from behind a desk.

That is amazingly precient, as that is exactly how most later Bruce
Willis movies are filmed - most of the time he's either behind a desk,
or at a minimum he's sitting in chair (e.g. at a table at a
restaurant). It's not that Willis is never standing. It's just that
most of the time he is seated.

I wonder if they did that so filming the scenes with him were less
exhausting on his costars, as they would be seated too, no matter how
long the scene would take to film...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<694470574.711565296.810371.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195221&group=rec.arts.tv#195221

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:04:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:04 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-20 14:25:14 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I am a Bruce Willis fan and yet I've never even heard of these movies.
>>
>> That’s what I found as well when Ian and I started tracking down these
>> strange films where he’s usually just making a cameo from behind a desk.
>
> That is amazingly precient, as that is exactly how most later Bruce
> Willis movies are filmed - most of the time he's either behind a desk,
> or at a minimum he's sitting in chair (e.g. at a table at a
> restaurant). It's not that Willis is never standing. It's just that
> most of the time he is seated.
>
> I wonder if they did that so filming the scenes with him were less
> exhausting on his costars, as they would be seated too, no matter how
> long the scene would take to film...

I sort of assumed it was to make it easy to put script pages or notes on
the desk in front of him.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<u9bpmq$2q5qc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195222&group=rec.arts.tv#195222

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:08:42 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:08 UTC

On 2023-07-20 17:04:08 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> That’s what I found as well when Ian and I started tracking down these
>>> strange films where he’s usually just making a cameo from behind a desk.
>>
>> That is amazingly precient, as that is exactly how most later Bruce
>> Willis movies are filmed - most of the time he's either behind a desk,
>> or at a minimum he's sitting in chair (e.g. at a table at a
>> restaurant). It's not that Willis is never standing. It's just that
>> most of the time he is seated.
>>
>> I wonder if they did that so filming the scenes with him were less
>> exhausting on his costars, as they would be seated too, no matter how
>> long the scene would take to film...
>
> I sort of assumed it was to make it easy to put script pages or notes on
> the desk in front of him.

Afflicated with aphasia, it's never been clear if Willis could still
read. From what I remember of the reporting, it seemed like most of the
time he had somebody feeding him lines through an earpiece, which
implies he wasn't reading. And that would explain having him sit most
of the time, as they could film Willis from the side without the
earpiece, and without worrying about him moving in the shot to expose
the side of his head with the earpiece.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-15 (Saturday)

<820453752.711574810.236228.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195241&group=rec.arts.tv#195241

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 12:40:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 19:40 UTC

That works too.