Losing your drivers' license is just God's way of saying "BOOGA, BOOGA!"

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)john
+* What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)anim8rfsk
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)

<UBI20230717@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194900&group=rec.arts.tv#194900

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)

<8ad364cb98fd03f34aab56d8004b5e9c@hamiltonhall.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194918&group=rec.arts.tv#194918

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)
From: joh...@hamiltonhall.info (john)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:58:02 -0400
 by: john - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:58 UTC

In article <UBI20230717@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:

>After an arduous workout, I watched:
>
>Nothing.
>
>What did you watch?
>
>--
>Let's go Brandon!

Stars on Mars
"Leaks In The Hab"
Four new celebronauts have landed on Mars amidst a micro-meteorite shower.

What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)

<u967cu$1m2v0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194919&group=rec.arts.tv#194919

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 07:00:03 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:00 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S7E19 'Resurrection' - DVD
"The SG-1 team - minus Col. O'Neill who is recuperating from their most
recent battle with the Goa'uld - find themselves in Los Angeles at the
request of Agent Malcolm Barrett who has uncovered yet another rogue NID
operation. In a laboratory housed in a derelict industrial site, they
find several dead bodies and a young woman, Anna, who is locked away.
The sole survivor of the massacre isn't saying much and Anna denies
having anything to do with the deaths, despite video footage clearly
showing her to be the shooter. As they try to determine exactly what is
going on, they discover an activated timing device on a naquadah bomb
and have only a few hours to solve the mystery before them."
(Of course we know the REAL reason O'Neill is MIA here. He's just too
lazy to show up for work!)

Dr. Bill Lee: According to these readings, there's a ten pound
block of naquadah in this thing.
Agent Malcolm Barrett: What's that supposed to mean?
Dr. Bill Lee: It would be very bad if it went off.
Agent Malcolm Barrett: Well, it's a bomb, right? I mean, usually
it's not a good thing when they go off.
Dr. Bill Lee: True.
Agent Malcolm Barrett: Can we move this?
Teal'c: From what I know of Goa'uld weaponry, that would be unwise.
It may have a sensor that would detect such an action.
Dr. Bill Lee: Yeah, I don't even want to go there.
Dr. Bill Lee: Let's see if we can disarm it here first.
Agent Malcolm Barrett: Let me get the local authorities to start
evacuating the area.
Dr. Bill Lee: Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Agent Malcolm Barrett: How many miles are we talking about here?
Dr. Bill Lee: I dunno. How big is Orange County?

Teal'c: This indicates it belongs to Sekhmet.
Agent Malcolm Barrett: Who was that?
Teal'c: A Goa'uld who at one time was loyal to Ra.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: From what we know, she was a powerful ally of
his. He would routinely dispatch her to rule planets in his stead, quell
rebellions, oversee mass executions. You know, all the fun stuff.

Character Error: When Anna sets her drawings on fire inside of her
enclosure, Daniel turns and yells, "Fire!" When he does you can clearly
see a fire extinguisher on the wall about 20 feet behind him, yet he
continues to yell "Fire!" and move in that direction, ignoring the
extinguisher.

Trivia: Amanda Tapping's directorial debut on Stargate SG-1. (IMDb
lists it as her first directorial gig ever.)

Commentary: Actor Amanda Tapping and Camera Operator Will Waring.
(Obviously this one was important.) "Hi, I'm Amanda Tapping, director."
*giggles* Michael Shanks wrote the episode. They started shooting the
episode on Tapping's birthday, August 28. She refuses to say what year
or give any age information. And giggles. This was the last episode
shot of the season, which meant that there was very little opportunity
for reshoots. She talks a lot about the technicalities of shooting.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)

<u96bbl$1mnqb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194922&group=rec.arts.tv#194922

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:33:09 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:33 UTC

On 2023-07-18 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I got through a couple of movies, and soaps, yesterday:

soaps: DOOL - As predicted, it looks like the crazy nurse sedated Lani,
so now she'll probably hold them both captive. Meanwhile, Jerry the
actor seems to have skipped town ahead of being caught. I *hate* this
storyline!!... Meanwhile, BoosterBrady pulls a gun on Kristen (he
should have just wasted her!!), but then his demon-seed daughter calls
the cops on him. If this ends with Kristen getting full custody... I
may be out. (A funnier, more realistic option would be them *both*
losing custody, to Marlena or something.)
GH - Almost nothing happened this episode. They're having Jackson
Montgomery from AMC (I had forgotten that he was one of Erica Kane's
idiot ex-husbands!!) on right now, as Lucy and Felicia are trying to
steal some documents/info from him, but Jackson figures it out and call
the cops on them.

You're Killing Me (Showtime Anytime) - Been wanting to watch this 2023
film for a while. While described as a "horror movie", I really
consider this a "thriller".
McKaley Miller stars (and she's kind of an odd choice as a lead,
esp. now that she's in her *late* 20s!) as a high school senior who
wants to suck up to a Congressman's son in order to get off the wait
list of her dream college. So she drags her bestie to a party at the
dude's house, to try to suck up to him to get his dad to help her.
At the party, the Congressman's son's friend gets the bestie drunk,
and then Miller's character comes across dangerous info. The rest of
the film is Miller trying to stay ahead of the Congressman's son and
his posse who desperately want back the info she has.
The main issue I had with this is that Miller's character is often a
moron through much of this - for example: if you find an incriminating
video on another's cell phone with a low battery, you don't sit there
and try and watch the whole thing!! You friggin' send it to yourself
(and if you're smart, to others), get the hell out of that party, and
watch the video later!
Most of the movie is like this - frustratingly boneheaded choices
rather than smart ones. Also, Miller's bestie is a "weak sister", and
Miller should have just abandoned her from the get-go!
I will say, I do think the ending somewhat redeemed this (though,
even there, some obvious choices were not made), though I didn't care
for the last scene.

Open Water 3: Cage Dive (Freevee) - I only recently became aware that
there is a "third entry" in the "Open Water" film series. (Though, like
the second "Open Water" film, this was also an indie flick that just
got "bundled" into the OW film series due to its similar theme...) I
have already seen the first two films, so I decided to tackle the third.
Anyway, this 2017 (that's 11 years between sequels!!)
made-in-Australia! flick is a "found-footage"-type flick - which means
Arthur would hate it!! It's actually presented as a "mockumentary",
with the "found-footage" being the heart of the documentary film.
In this one, three Americans (but at least one of these actors is
Aussie, I'm not sure about the second, and apparently Megan Peta Hill
is Aussie too (which makes sense, as I'm pretty sure I heard her accent
pop out in spots)) travel to Australia to film footage for their pitch
for an "extreme" reality-type TV show. The point of this is to do a
shark-cage dive in Adelaide and film it.
Of course, when they're in the cage, a "rogue wave" hits, and
capsizes the cage dive boat, and the three barely escape from the cage.
But they are separated from most of the other survivors from the
capsized boat in the process.
From here this turns into true "Open Water" stuff as the three try
to stay afloat in the open, shark-infested waters.
Wow, these p***ies don't even make it 24 hours! (though maybe that
also tracks with the first film).
I had a few problems with this - aside from the "found footage"
aspect, two of the three main characters are very unlikeable. Megan
Peta Hill's character is actually the *least* sympathetic, which I
think was a bad choice.
But, as an "Open Water"-type flick, I guess this one mostly
delivers. At least this one doesn't shy away from the first flick's
ending.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-07-17 (Monday)

<1805501500.711392735.602015.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194997&group=rec.arts.tv#194997

From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:35:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:35 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> Stargate: SG-1 S7E19 'Resurrection' - DVD
> "The SG-1 team - minus Col. O'Neill who is recuperating from their most
> recent battle with the Goa'uld - find themselves in Los Angeles at the
> request of Agent Malcolm Barrett who has uncovered yet another rogue NID
> operation. In a laboratory housed in a derelict industrial site, they
> find several dead bodies and a young woman, Anna, who is locked away.
> The sole survivor of the massacre isn't saying much and Anna denies
> having anything to do with the deaths, despite video footage clearly
> showing her to be the shooter. As they try to determine exactly what is
> going on, they discover an activated timing device on a naquadah bomb
> and have only a few hours to solve the mystery before them."
> (Of course we know the REAL reason O'Neill is MIA here. He's just too
> lazy to show up for work!)
>
> Dr. Bill Lee: According to these readings, there's a ten pound
> block of naquadah in this thing.
> Agent Malcolm Barrett: What's that supposed to mean?
> Dr. Bill Lee: It would be very bad if it went off.
> Agent Malcolm Barrett: Well, it's a bomb, right? I mean, usually
> it's not a good thing when they go off.
> Dr. Bill Lee: True.
> Agent Malcolm Barrett: Can we move this?
> Teal'c: From what I know of Goa'uld weaponry, that would be unwise.
> It may have a sensor that would detect such an action.
> Dr. Bill Lee: Yeah, I don't even want to go there.
> Dr. Bill Lee: Let's see if we can disarm it here first.
> Agent Malcolm Barrett: Let me get the local authorities to start
> evacuating the area.
> Dr. Bill Lee: Thanks for the vote of confidence.
> Agent Malcolm Barrett: How many miles are we talking about here?
> Dr. Bill Lee: I dunno. How big is Orange County?

I hate Lee enough that I was hoping the bomb would go off. I certainly
wouldn’t trust him with anything important.

> Teal'c: This indicates it belongs to Sekhmet.
> Agent Malcolm Barrett: Who was that?
> Teal'c: A Goa'uld who at one time was loyal to Ra.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: From what we know, she was a powerful ally of
> his. He would routinely dispatch her to rule planets in his stead, quell
> rebellions, oversee mass executions. You know, all the fun stuff.
>
> Character Error: When Anna sets her drawings on fire inside of her
> enclosure, Daniel turns and yells, "Fire!" When he does you can clearly
> see a fire extinguisher on the wall about 20 feet behind him, yet he
> continues to yell "Fire!" and move in that direction, ignoring the
> extinguisher.
>
> Trivia: Amanda Tapping's directorial debut on Stargate SG-1. (IMDb
> lists it as her first directorial gig ever.)
>

> Commentary: Actor Amanda Tapping and Camera Operator Will Waring.
> (Obviously this one was important.) "Hi, I'm Amanda Tapping, director."
> *giggles* Michael Shanks wrote the episode.

I want to like this episode a lot more than I do. It’s just way too
derivative of mad killer in a glass box shows.

They started shooting the
> episode on Tapping's birthday, August 28. She refuses to say what year

Siri says 1965.