arts / rec.arts.tv / New York's outrageous bail laws

SubjectAuthor
* New York's outrageous bail lawsAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsRhino
|`* Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsAdam H. Kerman
| +* Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsRhino
| |`* Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsAdam H. Kerman
| | `- Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsRhino
| `- Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsThe Horny Goat
`* Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsBTR1701
 `- Re: New York's outrageous bail lawsAdam H. Kerman

1
New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9herj$3ugl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195519&group=rec.arts.tv#195519

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: New York's outrageous bail laws
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 20:40:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 20:40 UTC

I'm shocked mime didn't post this.

Jonathan Maimon committed an unproved attack against another man outside
a nightclub in Soho New York. The two men were strangers but both from
Israel. The two man had not interacted before the attack. Maimon walked
up to the victim from behind, struck him in the back of the head with a
large glass jar knocking him down, then struck him another six times
while the victim lay on the ground. The victim was seriously injured,
including a brain bleed.

Maimon was charged with attempted murder. His lawyer wants charges
downgraded to assault 'cuz, you know, he literally bashed his brains in
just not intending to kill him.

In New York, no-bail bond applies to non-serious charges like attempted
murder. He's back in Israel, visiting his mother.

Even in my state, now that no-bail bond has been found to be constitutional
and will take effect in September, the prosecution would be able to
present evidence that the defendant is a threat to the public and must
be held in pre-trial confinement.

I think attacking a stranger is the textbook example of presenting a
threat to the public, but what the hell do I know.

The two men heard an Israeli DJ perform at the club.

Maimon is the son of Israel Maimon, legal advisor to Prime Minister Ariel
Sharon and later Cabinet Secretary. When Sharon had his stroke, he made
the determination that power should pass to Ehud Olmert, who retained him
as Cabinet Secretary.

Jonathan was in New York as a staffer in the Defense Ministry.

The assault happened 3 am February 26. The story came up again because
New York Post obtained video of the assault.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/22/video-shows-shocking-attempted-murder-in-nyc-by-son-of-prominent-israeli-official/

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9hi59$3uo2j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195525&group=rec.arts.tv#195525

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: New York's outrageous bail laws
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:36:39 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 21:36 UTC

On 2023-07-22 4:40 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> I'm shocked mime didn't post this.
>
> Jonathan Maimon committed an unproved attack against another man outside
> a nightclub in Soho New York. The two men were strangers but both from
> Israel. The two man had not interacted before the attack. Maimon walked
> up to the victim from behind, struck him in the back of the head with a
> large glass jar knocking him down, then struck him another six times
> while the victim lay on the ground. The victim was seriously injured,
> including a brain bleed.
>
> Maimon was charged with attempted murder. His lawyer wants charges
> downgraded to assault 'cuz, you know, he literally bashed his brains in
> just not intending to kill him.
>
> In New York, no-bail bond applies to non-serious charges like attempted
> murder. He's back in Israel, visiting his mother.
>
> Even in my state, now that no-bail bond has been found to be constitutional
> and will take effect in September, the prosecution would be able to
> present evidence that the defendant is a threat to the public and must
> be held in pre-trial confinement.
>
> I think attacking a stranger is the textbook example of presenting a
> threat to the public, but what the hell do I know.
>
> The two men heard an Israeli DJ perform at the club.
>
> Maimon is the son of Israel Maimon, legal advisor to Prime Minister Ariel
> Sharon and later Cabinet Secretary. When Sharon had his stroke, he made
> the determination that power should pass to Ehud Olmert, who retained him
> as Cabinet Secretary.
>
> Jonathan was in New York as a staffer in the Defense Ministry.
>
> The assault happened 3 am February 26. The story came up again because
> New York Post obtained video of the assault.
>
> https://nypost.com/2023/07/22/video-shows-shocking-attempted-murder-in-nyc-by-son-of-prominent-israeli-official/

The decisions made by prosecutors courts really leave me baffled
sometimes. One that comes to mind is the case of Denis Lortie who
formulated a plan to attack the Quebec (provincial) legislature, had it
announced on the radio, killed three people and wounded 13, was
convicted of first degree murder but then had an appeal court decide it
was only second degree murder. It's hard to think of a more
pre-meditated act yet he didn't serve a sentence for 1st degree murder.
In fact, I remember hearing a news report that he'd been seeking day
parole only a few years into his sentence because he really wanted to
get out and play some golf!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Lortie

I don't understand how Maimon's lawyer persuaded the courts to change
his charges to assault from attempted murder. Given Maimon's political
connections, was he given a reduced charge as a result of diplomatic
efforts between Israel and the US? How is it that he didn't have to at
least give up his travel documents while he waited for trial? Is the US
going to be able to extradite him if he fails to appear at trial?

--
Rhino

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9hlmh$3vbam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195535&group=rec.arts.tv#195535

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:37:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:37 UTC

>. . .

>I don't understand how Maimon's lawyer persuaded the courts to change
>his charges to assault from attempted murder.

He didn't. He expressed a desire to have the charges downgraded. What
else is a defense lawyer with an incredibly guilty and unsympathetic
client going to say?

>Given Maimon's political connections, was he given a reduced charge as a
>result of diplomatic efforts between Israel and the US? How is it that
>he didn't have to at least give up his travel documents while he waited
>for trial? Is the US going to be able to extradite him if he fails to
>appear at trial?

I'm sure that Maimon's father got him the cushy job. I doubt very much
he has those kinds of international political connections.

I wrote this to comment on state bail laws, that someone about to go on
trial for attempted murder would be allowed to leave the country.

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<vNqcnWflLruT_iH5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195545&group=rec.arts.tv#195545

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 23:15:26 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 23:15 UTC

On Jul 22, 2023 at 1:40:19 PM PDT, ""Adam H. Kerman"" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> I'm shocked mime didn't post this.
>
> Jonathan Maimon committed an unproved attack against another man outside
> a nightclub in Soho New York. The two men were strangers but both from
> Israel. The two man had not interacted before the attack. Maimon walked
> up to the victim from behind, struck him in the back of the head with a
> large glass jar knocking him down, then struck him another six times
> while the victim lay on the ground. The victim was seriously injured,
> including a brain bleed.
>
> Maimon was charged with attempted murder. His lawyer wants charges
> downgraded to assault 'cuz, you know, he literally bashed his brains in
> just not intending to kill him.
>
> In New York, no-bail bond applies to non-serious charges like attempted
> murder.

Heh. You said non-serious.

> I think attacking a stranger is the textbook example of presenting a
> threat to the public, but what the hell do I know.

That's just your white privilege and systemic racism talking.

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9hukn$hlb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195557&group=rec.arts.tv#195557

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 01:09:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 01:09 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>On Jul 22, 2023 at 1:40:19 PM PDT, Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>I'm shocked mime didn't post this.

>>Jonathan Maimon committed an unproved attack against another man outside
>>a nightclub in Soho New York. The two men were strangers but both from
>>Israel. The two man had not interacted before the attack. Maimon walked
>>up to the victim from behind, struck him in the back of the head with a
>>large glass jar knocking him down, then struck him another six times
>>while the victim lay on the ground. The victim was seriously injured,
>>including a brain bleed.

>>Maimon was charged with attempted murder. His lawyer wants charges
>>downgraded to assault 'cuz, you know, he literally bashed his brains in
>>just not intending to kill him.

>>In New York, no-bail bond applies to non-serious charges like attempted
>>murder.

>Heh. You said non-serious.

>>I think attacking a stranger is the textbook example of presenting a
>>threat to the public, but what the hell do I know.

>That's just your white privilege and systemic racism talking.

I know I know.

Every time I read about bail in New York, it's even more stupid.
Pre-2019, bail was set ONLY based on the judge determining how likely
the defendant was to miss his appearances. Nevertheless, judges were
taking threats to the public into account with how bail was set, even
though it was illegal.

With the 2019 amendments, there was no-bail bond for non-violent felony
charges including stalking, assault without serious injury, burglary,
drug offenses, and arson and robbery.

I've never heard of non-violent assault and robbery.

In January 2020, Gov Cuomo signed amendments allowing cash bail to be
set for more crimes and for defendants on parole.

Gov Hochul wants cash bail for defendants in violation of bond
conditions from pending charges, like being arrested for committing
additional crimes while out on bond.

Committing a crime while on parole should violate parole conditions,
which should send one back to prison.

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9hv9a$c1c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195559&group=rec.arts.tv#195559

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 21:20:40 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 01:20 UTC

On 2023-07-22 6:37 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> I don't understand how Maimon's lawyer persuaded the courts to change
>> his charges to assault from attempted murder.
>
> He didn't. He expressed a desire to have the charges downgraded. What
> else is a defense lawyer with an incredibly guilty and unsympathetic
> client going to say?

But they seem to have *granted* Maimon's lawyer's request. Why? Did the
prosecutor not bother to object?

>> Given Maimon's political connections, was he given a reduced charge as a
>> result of diplomatic efforts between Israel and the US? How is it that
>> he didn't have to at least give up his travel documents while he waited
>> for trial? Is the US going to be able to extradite him if he fails to
>> appear at trial?
>
> I'm sure that Maimon's father got him the cushy job. I doubt very much
> he has those kinds of international political connections.
>
> I wrote this to comment on state bail laws, that someone about to go on
> trial for attempted murder would be allowed to leave the country.

--
Rhino

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9hvm5$hlb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195561&group=rec.arts.tv#195561

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 01:27:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 01:27 UTC

>On 2023-07-22 6:37 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>>. . .

>>>I don't understand how Maimon's lawyer persuaded the courts to change
>>>his charges to assault from attempted murder.

>>He didn't. He expressed a desire to have the charges downgraded. What
>>else is a defense lawyer with an incredibly guilty and unsympathetic
>>client going to say?

>But they seem to have *granted* Maimon's lawyer's request. Why? Did the
>prosecutor not bother to object?

Huh? In the articles I've read, the attempted murder charge has not been
dropped.

>>>. . .

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<u9jett$5aas$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195626&group=rec.arts.tv#195626

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 10:53:47 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 14:53 UTC

On 2023-07-22 9:27 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> He didn't. He expressed a desire to have the charges downgraded. What
>>> else is a defense lawyer with an incredibly guilty and unsympathetic
>>> client going to say?
>
>> But they seem to have *granted* Maimon's lawyer's request. Why? Did the
>> prosecutor not bother to object?
>
> Huh? In the articles I've read, the attempted murder charge has not been
> dropped.

Sorry, I think I misread something....

--
Rhino

Re: New York's outrageous bail laws

<apsrbitiusfrcluet2k2datkritevovjh3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195752&group=rec.arts.tv#195752

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:43:37 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 03:43 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 22:37:05 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>I'm sure that Maimon's father got him the cushy job. I doubt very much
>he has those kinds of international political connections.
>
>I wrote this to comment on state bail laws, that someone about to go on
>trial for attempted murder would be allowed to leave the country.

Heck I don't know any jurisdiction anywhere where leaving the
jurisdiction isn't immediate grounds for revocation of bail. If you've
left the state surely it must give reasonable doubt about your
intentions to return for trial no?