Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Foundation

SubjectAuthor
* FoundationJason Evans
`* Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 +* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |+* Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 ||`* Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 || +- Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 || `* Re: FoundationThe Last Doctor
 ||  +- Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 ||  `- Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 |`* Re: FoundationDex
 | +* Re: FoundationPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
 | |+- Re: FoundationDex
 | |`* Re: FoundationT987654321
 | | `* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 | |  `* Re: FoundationDex
 | |   `* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 | |    `- Re: FoundationThe Last Doctor
 | +- Re: FoundationYour Name
 | +- Re: FoundationDimensional Traveler
 | `* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |  `* Re: FoundationDex
 |   +- Re: FoundationPhillip Helbig (undress to reply
 |   +* Re: FoundationJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 |   |`- Re: FoundationDimensional Traveler
 |   `- Re: FoundationYour Name
 +- Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker
 `- Re: Foundationpubkeybreaker

Pages:12
Foundation

<sis7bf$pdn$1@theuse.news.theuse.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1976&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#1976

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Foundation
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:45:03 +0000
 by: Jason Evans - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:45 UTC

I've never read anything by Asimov and besides a quick introduction to the
storyline from YouTube, I knew nothing about the Foundation series so I went
into this show with very little information on what to expect.

I have to say that I liked it and I thought the casting was spot on.
However, I don't think it will last long for two reasons. First, it deals
with big ideas. People don't watch shows with big ideas. They find them
boring. This reminds me a lot of Caprica. A lot of people hated the show
because the first couple of episodes felt too "Syfy" and too focused towards
a younger audience like some kind of teen drama. However as that first
season developed, it asked bigger and bigger questions and I don't think
people were expecting that. it wasn't BSG. It took its time to to tell the
story. That leads me to the second issue with Foundation. It is slow and
plodding. That's not a bad thing when you're exploring these big ideas but
the casual viewer will be very very bored. How likely will the producers
keep pumping money into a show that only a select audience can really enjoy?

__
JE

Re: Foundation

<ececff88-d5c0-4b10-9f8d-7e2a67805941n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1987&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#1987

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:04:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Foundation
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 03:04 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 6:45:04 AM UTC-4, Jason Evans wrote:
> I've never read anything by Asimov and besides a quick introduction to the
> storyline from YouTube, I knew nothing about the Foundation series so I went
> into this show with very little information on what to expect.
>
> I have to say that I liked it and I thought the casting was spot on.
> However, I don't think it will last long for two reasons. First, it deals
> with big ideas.

<spoiler alert!!>

The acting and cinematography was excellent.

There are some things that are GROSSLY wrong with the TV series. I don't mean piddling
little things such as Gaal's gender change, or 3 emperor clones or even a bunch of other stuff.

(1) Demerzel is/was Daneel Olivaw. This is an instance where the TV gender change is grossly
wrong. In the TV series the emperors also know that Demerzel is a robot. This is totally at odds
with the books; noone at the time of Cleon even knew that robots existed.

(2) Demerzel takes part in the planetoid raid and directly questions people who get shot, as well
as allowing them to die (!!!) when they don't answer questions. This is in gross violation of the
robotic laws and totally out of character; Zeroth law notwithstanding.

(3) In the books the first crisis is started by the Anacreon revolt which takes place 50 years
after the exile to terminus. In the TV show it happens at the time Hari is put on trial and Anacreon
gets wiped out. This is a fundamental plot incompatibility!!

(4) In the TV show the Foundationers are shipped off to Terminus *without* being allowed to
use a jumpship. ----> Huh??? at sub-light velocities they will never get there. I don't mind
having a willing suspension of disbelief to accept technology, but I don't like impossibilities.

There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show. The first two episodes could have been
done in one. e.g. What was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the peacock???

Re: Foundation

<XnsADB657D8263F4taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1992&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#1992

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:38 UTC

pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in

> There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
> The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
> was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
> peacock???

That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
continuity people) are all crackheads.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<98dd5da3-5007-431b-8ee7-09f274b8cc05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2001&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2001

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 21:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 04:07 UTC

On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 11:38:11 AM UTC-4, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> pubkeybreaker <pubkey...@aol.com> wrote in
> > There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
> > The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
> > was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
> > peacock???
> >
> That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> continuity people) are all crackheads.
>
> --
> Terry Austin

Episode 3 had even more fluff. It wasted a lot of time going through the suicide of Brother Dusk.
This was totally pointless and adds nothing to the story. It also included pointless love scenes with Salvor.

There were also additional discontinuities with the book: In the book people knew the purpose of the
vault. It was not a mystery. But the show wastes a lot of time showing the vault to be some mysterious object.

I could go on, but why bother? The show is thoroughly disappointing, IMO.

Re: Foundation

<20211010073318.00000b06@nospam.today>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2021&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2021

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 07:33:18 +0100
 by: Dex - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 06:33 UTC

On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

> pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in
>
> > There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
> > The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
> > was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
> > peacock???
> >
> That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> continuity people) are all crackheads.

Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.

Re: Foundation

<sju2le$1s9j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2022&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2022

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 06:53:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 06:53 UTC

In article <20211010073318.00000b06@nospam.today>, Dex
<vaidam@nospam.today> writes:

> On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in
> >
> > > There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
> > > The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
> > > was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
> > > peacock???
> > >
> > That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> > continuity people) are all crackheads.
> >

> Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.

Yes. But how well does she know her father's books, what were her
goals, what input did she have?

I'm surprised that there is not more discussion here and in other
newsgroups.

So far, I've watched the first two episodes. I'm wondering on whether
to continue.

Re: Foundation

<20211010080750.000020ff@nospam.today>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2023&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2023

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 08:07:50 +0100
 by: Dex - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 07:07 UTC

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 06:53:34 -0000 (UTC)
helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
wrote:

> In article <20211010073318.00000b06@nospam.today>, Dex
> <vaidam@nospam.today> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
> > Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in

> > > That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> > > continuity people) are all crackheads.
> > >

> > Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.
>
> Yes. But how well does she know her father's books, what were her
> goals, what input did she have?

Very well.

She wrote:

One of the benefits of having a father as prolific as mine is that he
is likely to have written something, sometime, to address any given
situation. So it was natural that I turned to my father to understand
the answer. And, as usual, he did not disappoint me. My father once
wrote: "My nonappearance on the screen has not bothered me. I am
strictly a print person. I write material that is intended to appear on
a printed page, and not on a screen, either large or small. I have been
invited on numerous occasions to write a screenplay for motion picture
or television, either original, or as an adaptation of my own story or
someone else's, and I have refused every time. Whatever talents I may
have, writing for the eye is not one of them, and I am lucky enough to
know what I can't do.

"On the other hand, if someone else -- someone who has the particular
talent of writing for the eye that I do not have -- were to adapt one
of my stories for the screen, I would not expect that the screen
version be 'faithful' to the print version."

Re: Foundation

<sju3tu$cu2$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2024&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2024

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 20:15:11 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 07:15 UTC

pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in

> There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
> The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
> was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
> peacock???

Apple giving NBC's streaming service "the bird". ;-)

Re: Foundation

<b6ed1190-e29a-4a11-b2af-d92da11c1372n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2025&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2025

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (T987654321)
 by: T987654321 - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:19 UTC

On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 11:53:35 PM UTC-7, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <20211010073...@nospam.today>, Dex
> <vai...@nospam.today> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
> > Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > pubkeybreaker <pubkey...@aol.com> wrote in

> > > That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> > > continuity people) are all crackheads.
> > >

> > Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.
> Yes. But how well does she know her father's books, what were her
> goals, what input did she have?
>
> I'm surprised that there is not more discussion here and in other
> newsgroups.
>
> So far, I've watched the first two episodes. I'm wondering on whether
> to continue.
Happily lots of people don't have crApple accounts.

Re: Foundation

<sjv5t3$8le$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2026&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2026

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:55:00 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:55 UTC

On 10/9/2021 11:33 PM, Dex wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in
>>
>>> There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
>>> The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
>>> was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
>>> peacock???
>>>
>> That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
>> continuity people) are all crackheads.
>>

> Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.

http://www.dorktower.com/2021/09/29/second-foundation-dork-tower-29-09-21/

dirty old man.

Re: Foundation

<XnsADC0566E17401taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2027&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2027

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:29:47 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 15:29 UTC

Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote in news:20211010073318.00000b06
@nospam.today:

> On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in
>>
>> > There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
>> > The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
>> > was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
>> > peacock???
>> >
>> That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
>> continuity people) are all crackheads.
>>

> Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.

Which could mean a lot, or it could easily mean nothing. Various
levels of producer are freebies handed out like candy, and many
executive produces have nothing whatsoever to do with actual
production.

Or arey ou saying Robyn Asimov is a crackhead?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<XnsADC056DEE3F9Ctaustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2028&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2028

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:32:22 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 15:32 UTC

T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 11:53:35 PM UTC-7, Phillip
> Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> In article <20211010073...@nospam.today>, Dex
>> <vai...@nospam.today> writes:

>> > Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.
>> Yes. But how well does she know her father's books, what were
>> her goals, what input did she have?
>>
>> I'm surprised that there is not more discussion here and in
>> other newsgroups.
>>
>> So far, I've watched the first two episodes. I'm wondering on
>> whether to continue.
> Happily lots of people don't have crApple accounts.

Or any interst at all in any screen adaptation, big or small, of
any golden age novel that it is possible to make today, since there
is zero chance of it not being modified beyond recognition to make
it more woke.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<20211012121630.00003ef2@nospam.today>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2029&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2029

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:16:30 +0100
 by: Dex - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:16 UTC

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:29:47 -0700
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote in news:20211010073318.00000b06
> @nospam.today:
>
> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
> > Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote in

> >> That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> >> continuity people) are all crackheads.
> >>

> > Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.
> >
> Which could mean a lot, or it could easily mean nothing. Various
> levels of producer are freebies handed out like candy, and many
> executive produces have nothing whatsoever to do with actual
> production.
>
> Or arey ou saying Robyn Asimov is a crackhead?

Robyn and the Asimov literary estate were consulted and “very happy” about the
changes made by David Goyer, including the gender swap. Apple has given
season 2 the green light and time will tell if further seasons will be
made.

Re: Foundation

<20211012121857.00005a72@nospam.today>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2030&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2030

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:18:57 +0100
 by: Dex - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:18 UTC

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:32:22 -0700
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

> T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 11:53:35 PM UTC-7, Phillip
> > Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

> >> Yes. But how well does she know her father's books, what were
> >> her goals, what input did she have?
> >>
> >> I'm surprised that there is not more discussion here and in
> >> other newsgroups.
> >>
> >> So far, I've watched the first two episodes. I'm wondering on
> >> whether to continue.
> > Happily lots of people don't have crApple accounts.
>
> Or any interst at all in any screen adaptation, big or small, of
> any golden age novel that it is possible to make today, since there
> is zero chance of it not being modified beyond recognition to make
> it more woke.

Sit back and watch re-runs of old black and white movies then if that's
your choice. other people do want to, woke and all.

Re: Foundation

<sk40pu$1d10$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2031&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2031

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:58:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:58 UTC

In article <20211012121630.00003ef2@nospam.today>, Dex
<vaidam@nospam.today> writes:

> Robyn and the Asimov literary estate were consulted and very happy
> about the
> changes made by David Goyer, including the gender swap. Apple has given
> season 2 the green light and time will tell if further seasons will be
> made.

Considering the lack of sex in most of Asimov's books, the gender swap
is not a problem for me, and maybe a good idea considering how
male-centric 1950s s.f. was. But writing sex into the plot goes a bit
far, and changing important details like what is revealed when I think
really goes too far.

It would be interesting to know how much of her father's work Robyn has
read.

Re: Foundation

<XnsADC15B4F4374Ftaustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2032&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2032

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:58:33 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 15:58 UTC

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:29:47 -0700
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote in news:20211010073318.00000b06
>> @nospam.today:
>>
>> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 08:38:07 -0700
>> > Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com>

>> > Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.
>> >
>> Which could mean a lot, or it could easily mean nothing.
>> Various levels of producer are freebies handed out like candy,
>> and many executive produces have nothing whatsoever to do with
>> actual production.
>>
>> Or arey ou saying Robyn Asimov is a crackhead?
>>

> Robyn and the Asimov literary estate were consulted and “very
> happy” about the changes made by David Goyer, including the
> gender swap.

Again, that could mean a lot, or it could mean nothing. It could
easily mean "We're happy the check cleared, and we really don't
give a damn what the do with the material." That's common enough.
If she were on the writing staff, that would be a stronger
indicator of a positive influence, but that's apparently not the
case.

"Executive Producer" means *nothing*. Someone being paid a lot of
money for the rights means *nothing*.

>Apple has given season 2 the green light and time
> will tell if further seasons will be made.

If you like it, watch it. I almost never bother with *anything*
adpated from novels, particularly in the current woke era when the
novels are golden age stuff, because the changes to meet woke
expectations are pretty much always the entire, and only point, and
that does not provide me with any enterainment value whatsoever.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<XnsADC15BFB4DFB1taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2033&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2033

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:02:31 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 16:02 UTC

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:32:22 -0700
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote in

>> > Happily lots of people don't have crApple accounts.
>>
>> Or any interst at all in any screen adaptation, big or small,
>> of any golden age novel that it is possible to make today,
>> since there is zero chance of it not being modified beyond
>> recognition to make it more woke.
>>

> Sit back and watch re-runs of old black and white movies then if
> that's your choice.

Mostly, I watch reruns from the 60s and 70s, when I watch TV at
all, which isn't that much. (And I haven't seen a movie since the
pandemic started, but that's a difference of about 1 movie a year.)
Hollywood output is far, far too predictable to be entertaining, by
and large.

I greatly prefer a good book.

> other people do want to, woke and all.

More power to you. Enjoy. I'll be somewhere else, doing something
*I* find entertaining, and secure in the knowledge that the child
of an author approving of the adaptation doesn't mean anything one
way or the other, which is the point I made.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<sk4c38$pct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2034&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2034

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 16:11:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yn9FdbeFAqEfPSfPTOCwPJzqRCI=
 by: The Last Doctor - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 16:11 UTC

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:32:22 -0700
>> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Or any interst at all in any screen adaptation, big or small,
>>> of any golden age novel that it is possible to make today,
>>> since there is zero chance of it not being modified beyond
>>> recognition to make it more woke.
>>>

>> Sit back and watch re-runs of old black and white movies then if
>> that's your choice.
>
> Mostly, I watch reruns from the 60s and 70s, when I watch TV at
> all, which isn't that much. (And I haven't seen a movie since the
> pandemic started, but that's a difference of about 1 movie a year.)
> Hollywood output is far, far too predictable to be entertaining, by
> and large.
>
> I greatly prefer a good book.
>
>> other people do want to, woke and all.
>>
> More power to you. Enjoy. I'll be somewhere else, doing something
> *I* find entertaining, and secure in the knowledge that the child
> of an author approving of the adaptation doesn't mean anything one
> way or the other, which is the point I made.

Case in point: The Watch. Overseen by Rihanna Pratchett. Resemblance to the
source material: less than one percent, and that doesn’t include the
humour. And the material is only from the last couple of decades, not 70
years ago.

The Watch isn’t a terrible urban fantasy: it’s just fuck all like
Discworld. It just stole some characters and the bones of settings and
plots, and went somewhere completely different. Somewhere I doubt it will
get another chance to go again.

I think Foundation is going to be like that. Not to mention I think Apple
are hoping that they’ve found their “Expanse” in it. Going by the first
episode, they were on track for that. But the second episode was such an
hour of unutterable dullness that I have no urge to return.

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Foundation

<sk4qra$dvm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2035&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2035

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 09:23:07 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:23 UTC

On 2021-10-12 11:16:30 +0000, Dex said:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:29:47 -0700
> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote in news:20211010073318.00000b06
>> @nospam.today:

>>> Robyn Asimov is an executive producer.
>>
>> Which could mean a lot, or it could easily mean nothing. Various>
>> levels of producer are freebies handed out like candy, and many>
>> executive produces have nothing whatsoever to do with actual>
>> production.
>>
>> Or arey ou saying Robyn Asimov is a crackhead?
>
> Robyn and the Asimov literary estate were consulted and "very happy" about the
> changes made by David Goyer, including the gender swap. Apple has given
> season 2 the green light and time will tell if further seasons will be
> made.

Goyer wants it to be eight seasons / 80 episodes ... whether or not he
gets that depends on various factors.

Re: Foundation

<sk5c3n$747$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2036&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2036

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 18:17:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 01:17 UTC

On 10/12/2021 8:58 AM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 08:29:47 -0700
>> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Which could mean a lot, or it could easily mean nothing.
>>> Various levels of producer are freebies handed out like candy,
>>> and many executive produces have nothing whatsoever to do with
>>> actual production.
>>>
>>> Or arey ou saying Robyn Asimov is a crackhead?
>>>

>> Robyn and the Asimov literary estate were consulted and “very
>> happy” about the changes made by David Goyer, including the
>> gender swap.
>
> Again, that could mean a lot, or it could mean nothing. It could
> easily mean "We're happy the check cleared, and we really don't
> give a damn what the do with the material." That's common enough.
> If she were on the writing staff, that would be a stronger
> indicator of a positive influence, but that's apparently not the
> case.
>
> "Executive Producer" means *nothing*. Someone being paid a lot of
> money for the rights means *nothing*.
>
>> Apple has given season 2 the green light and time
>> will tell if further seasons will be made.
>>
> If you like it, watch it. I almost never bother with *anything*
> adpated from novels, particularly in the current woke era when the
> novels are golden age stuff, because the changes to meet woke
> expectations are pretty much always the entire, and only point, and
> that does not provide me with any enterainment value whatsoever.

http://www.dorktower.com/2021/10/01/foundations-edgy-dork-tower-01-10-21/

dirty old man.

Re: Foundation

<40b0eacc-4f14-4b61-8cee-612316f52f96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2037&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2037

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:22:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:22 UTC

On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 12:07:58 AM UTC-4, pubkeybreaker wrote:
> On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 11:38:11 AM UTC-4, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> > pubkeybreaker <pubkey...@aol.com> wrote in
> > > There is also, IMO a lot of unnecessary "fluff" in the TV show.
> > > The first two episodes could have been done in one. e.g. What
> > > was the point of the scene where the emperors were eating the
> > > peacock???
> > >
> > That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
> > continuity people) are all crackheads.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Austin
> Episode 3 had even more fluff. It wasted a lot of time going through the suicide of Brother Dusk.
> This was totally pointless and adds nothing to the story. It also included pointless love scenes with Salvor.
>
> There were also additional discontinuities with the book: In the book people knew the purpose of the
> vault. It was not a mystery. But the show wastes a lot of time showing the vault to be some mysterious object.
>
> I could go on, but why bother? The show is thoroughly disappointing, IMO.

Episode 5 was the worst yet. 20 Minutes of Gaal's background story added nothing, and the plot gets further and further from the books.
Why, after 30 years is Terminus a slum? They've done nothing with their infrastructure? And it certainly does not hold 100,000 people....
The conflict with Anacreon keeps getting further and further from the books. .... There was nothing good about this episode. It just plain sucked.
They are turning the story into space opera.

And there is another fundamental philosophical discrepancy from the books. The plan requires that the Foundation proceed blindly
toward the future. Just the fact that Gaal (who knows the math behind the plan) is around at all violates this idea, not to mention the
fact that the First Foundation being in possession of the Prime Radiant violates the plan as well.

See my earlier comments about Demerzel actively killing people..... A total violation of Asimov's laws of robotics....

I'm going to stop watching and unsubscribe from Apple TV. They have butchered fundamental ideas from the books.

Re: Foundation

<XnsADC457E56CF29taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2038&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2038

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:38:25 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:38 UTC

> See my earlier comments about Demerzel actively killing
> people..... A total violation of Asimov's laws of robotics....

I predict that those very laws of robotics - and how all robots must
follow them - will eventually become a major plot point with no
reference to earlier violations.

If that hasn't happened already.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<skc8jr$he$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2039&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2039

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:00:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WM9Bx4liiSZnCtfxewAoXr0XCJA=
 by: The Last Doctor - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:00 UTC

pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 12:07:58 AM UTC-4, pubkeybreaker wrote:
>> On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 11:38:11 AM UTC-4, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> pubkeybreaker <pubkey...@aol.com> wrote in
>>>>
>>> That's what happens when your script writers (and producers and
>>> continuity people) are all crackheads.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry Austin
>> Episode 3 had even more fluff. It wasted a lot of time going through the
>> suicide of Brother Dusk.
>> This was totally pointless and adds nothing to the story. It also
>> included pointless love scenes with Salvor.
>>
>> There were also additional discontinuities with the book: In the book
>> people knew the purpose of the
>> vault. It was not a mystery. But the show wastes a lot of time showing
>> the vault to be some mysterious object.
>>
>> I could go on, but why bother? The show is thoroughly disappointing, IMO.
>
> Episode 5 was the worst yet. 20 Minutes of Gaal's background story added
> nothing, and the plot gets further and further from the books.
> Why, after 30 years is Terminus a slum? They've done nothing with their
> infrastructure? And it certainly does not hold 100,000 people....
> The conflict with Anacreon keeps getting further and further from the
> books. .... There was nothing good about this episode. It just plain sucked.
> They are turning the story into space opera.
>
> And there is another fundamental philosophical discrepancy from the
> books. The plan requires that the Foundation proceed blindly
> toward the future. Just the fact that Gaal (who knows the math behind
> the plan) is around at all violates this idea, not to mention the
> fact that the First Foundation being in possession of the Prime Radiant
> violates the plan as well.
>
> See my earlier comments about Demerzel actively killing people..... A
> total violation of Asimov's laws of robotics....

Demerzel is supposedly R. Daneel Olivaw, though - whose distinctive
difference was the capability of comprehend and act on the Zeroth Law
without ceasing to function. If the killing was adjudged necessary for the
good of humanity, Daneel is capable of doing it - and even more capable of
walking away and letting it happen, or even ordering it done. I haven’t
watched the scene though, so I don’t know whether it’s a fundamental break
with the Laws of Robotics or not.

> I'm going to stop watching and unsubscribe from Apple TV. They have
> butchered fundamental ideas from the books.

Someone already linked to the Dork Towers relating to this. Let’s be fair,
a faithful rendition of the original Foundation stories would be a total
snooze fest for 95% of the viewership. Even those of us who admire and have
re-read the books could find it hard going as TV. But the degree of
divergence does seem to be - extreme.

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.
Things which act against everything we believe in.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Foundation

<XnsADC45F47791E1taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2040&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2040

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:21:58 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:21 UTC

The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote in

> pubkeybreaker <pubkeybreaker@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 12:07:58 AM UTC-4,
>> pubkeybreaker wrote:

>>> Episode 3 had even more fluff. It wasted a lot of time going
>>> through the suicide of Brother Dusk.
>>> This was totally pointless and adds nothing to the story. It
>>> also included pointless love scenes with Salvor.
>>>
>>> There were also additional discontinuities with the book: In
>>> the book people knew the purpose of the
>>> vault. It was not a mystery. But the show wastes a lot of time
>>> showing the vault to be some mysterious object.
>>>
>>> I could go on, but why bother? The show is thoroughly
>>> disappointing, IMO.
>>
>> Episode 5 was the worst yet. 20 Minutes of Gaal's background
>> story added nothing, and the plot gets further and further
>> from the books. Why, after 30 years is Terminus a slum?
>> They've done nothing with their infrastructure? And it
>> certainly does not hold 100,000 people.... The conflict with
>> Anacreon keeps getting further and further from the books. ....
>> There was nothing good about this episode. It just plain
>> sucked. They are turning the story into space opera.
>>
>> And there is another fundamental philosophical discrepancy from
>> the books. The plan requires that the Foundation proceed
>> blindly toward the future. Just the fact that Gaal (who knows
>> the math behind the plan) is around at all violates this idea,
>> not to mention the fact that the First Foundation being in
>> possession of the Prime Radiant violates the plan as well.
>>
>> See my earlier comments about Demerzel actively killing
>> people..... A total violation of Asimov's laws of robotics....
>
> Demerzel is supposedly R. Daneel Olivaw, though - whose
> distinctive difference was the capability of comprehend and act
> on the Zeroth Law without ceasing to function. If the killing
> was adjudged necessary for the good of humanity, Daneel is
> capable of doing it - and even more capable of walking away and
> letting it happen, or even ordering it done. I haven’t watched
> the scene though, so I don’t know whether it’s a fundamental
> break with the Laws of Robotics or not.
>

>> I'm going to stop watching and unsubscribe from Apple TV. They
>> have butchered fundamental ideas from the books.
>>

> Someone already linked to the Dork Towers relating to this.
> Let’s be fair, a faithful rendition of the original Foundation
> stories would be a total snooze fest for 95% of the viewership.
> Even those of us who admire and have re-read the books could
> find it hard going as TV. But the degree of divergence does seem
> to be - extreme.

The very things that make a good book good are often things that
would make a movie or TV show bad, and vice versa. When adapting
one to the other, certain changes *have* to be made if you want any
hope of commercial success.

However, if you're going to completely change the story, you really
shouldn't call it by the same name.

"Inspired by the title of a popular novel we haven't read, but we
have to make the white male author look bad or stupid or the woke
crowd won't let us make it."

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: Foundation

<7c70ac7c-bfcc-406f-9ffc-28c2c2e69eb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2041&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2041

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:44:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: pubkeybr...@aol.com (pubkeybreaker)
 by: pubkeybreaker - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 05:44 UTC