The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat. -- Lily Tomlin

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Looked All Over / Will Dockery

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryWill Dockery
`* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW.Dockery
 +* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryMichael Pendragon
 |+* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW.Dockery
 ||`* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryMichael Pendragon
 || `* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW-Dockery
 ||  `- Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryCoco DeSockmonkey
 |`- Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW.Dockery
 +* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryZod
 |`* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryMichael Pendragon
 | `* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW-Dockery
 |  `* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryCoco DeSockmonkey
 |   `- Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW.Dockery
 `* Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryGeneral-Zod
  +- Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW.Dockery
  +- Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryWill Dockery
  `- Re: Looked All Over / Will DockeryW-Dockery

1
Re: Looked All Over / Will Dockery

<a5c44b95-3077-41ca-97f8-ee04a8f49424n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=194981&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#194981

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:09:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Looked All Over / Will Dockery
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 00:09 UTC

> Looked All Over
>
> Walked through the rain
> to the telephone
> it was cold outside
> winter
> you know
> so I knew
> it would be this way.
>
> I was looking out
> that busted up window
> and knew
> that the phone call
> was needed
> but it was cold outside
> and raining.
>
> Got blown
> by that misty rain
> driven off days
> to find her
> but she was
> as missing as possible.
>
> Tried every place
> I could think of
> which in hindsight
> was not that many.
> I forget sometimes
> just how big a city can be.
> She was missing
> Possibly insane.
>
> I even talked with her dad
> who said nothing.
> I looked all over
> couldn't see
> the forest for the trees.
> I looked all over
> a frozen wall of emotions
> between then and me.
> I looked all over
> but it was actually over
> before I even began.
>
> Heated up a can of soup
> in the apartment.
> Stirred in some
> bizarre leftovers.
> There was
> a knock on my door.
> It was Berg
> who was cackling and crazed
> laughing about somebody
> who had given him a ride.
>
> I had to go to the telephone
> into the rain
> to try and find her.
>
> I talked to the police
> who could only speak of death.
> I looked all over
> looked up to the sky
> as the rain came down.
> I looked all over
> watched the searchlights
> at the used car lot.
> I looked all over
> would have been nice,
> to know
> what her family knew.
>
> -Will Dockery

The full story Senetto excreted earlier.

Re: Looked All Over / Will Dockery

<5fced648928c144d58e76e51a2142645@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195015&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195015

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 03:30:34 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 03:30 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> Looked All Over
>>
>> Walked through the rain
>> to the telephone
>> it was cold outside
>> winter
>> you know
>> so I knew
>> it would be this way.
>>
>> I was looking out
>> that busted up window
>> and knew
>> that the phone call
>> was needed
>> but it was cold outside
>> and raining.
>>
>> Got blown
>> by that misty rain
>> driven off days
>> to find her
>> but she was
>> as missing as possible.
>>
>> Tried every place
>> I could think of
>> which in hindsight
>> was not that many.
>> I forget sometimes
>> just how big a city can be.
>> She was missing
>> Possibly insane.
>>
>> I even talked with her dad
>> who said nothing.
>> I looked all over
>> couldn't see
>> the forest for the trees.
>> I looked all over
>> a frozen wall of emotions
>> between then and me.
>> I looked all over
>> but it was actually over
>> before I even began.
>>
>> Heated up a can of soup
>> in the apartment.
>> Stirred in some
>> bizarre leftovers.
>> There was
>> a knock on my door.
>> It was Berg
>> who was cackling and crazed
>> laughing about somebody
>> who had given him a ride.
>>
>> I had to go to the telephone
>> into the rain
>> to try and find her.
>>
>> I talked to the police
>> who could only speak of death.
>> I looked all over
>> looked up to the sky
>> as the rain came down.
>> I looked all over
>> watched the searchlights
>> at the used car lot.
>> I looked all over
>> would have been nice,
>> to know
>> what her family knew.
>>
>> -Will Dockery

> The full story Senetto excreted earlier:

Late 1981, It All Falls Down

I lived in the one apartment with Tina, my wife Katherine and son Clay.

I, Katherine and Clay left that apartment to move into the other one, and T.I. moved elsewhere.

In the Summer of 1981 the constructive eviction happened, I was living with my wife Katherine, room mate named Tina, and my young son. Moved out of there to the apartment where the story Jim is questioning me about took place, around November of 1981.

My girlfriend of Summer 1981, Tina Infantino asked what happened after she moved out and lost contact with me.

The landlord wouldn't fix the stove which was supposed to be furnished, so my lawyer friend told me I could withhold rent and move out under a "Constructive Eviction" because of this.

Constructive eviction is a term used in the law of real property to describe a circumstance in which a landlord either does something or fails to do something that he has a legal duty to provide (e.g. the landlord refuses to provide heat or water to the apartment), rendering the property uninhabitable. A tenant who is constructively evicted may terminate the lease and seek damages.

That's when we found that Katherine's Grandmother had an apartment vacant again, and we moved out of the apartment without a stove and into the other apartment.

Yes, all the while I'm not sure if you noticed that the rent wasn't being paid! Since the stove didn't work I stopped paying rent and I was evicted less than a week after you left, I don't think we talked much about bills if we did at all?

It didn't help that I was so stupid I rented an apartment right upstairs from the rental office... made it hard for me to sneak out. I guess if I'd have been thinking straight I should have maybe moved out and let you have the apartment, since there was no way I could afford it by myself!

Anyway, I was at least two months behind on rent, lucky that I moved out and had a lawyer friend I used to drink beer with at Ken's Tavern write me a letter to them that I was doing a "Constructive Eviction" because they never would fix the stove, and moved on out... really not long after you left, like a few days later.

Tina: "Since they wouldn't fix it if I remember right the burners worked but the oven didn't we had to do everything on the top..."

It was an excuse, but the rent was just too high at that place, for the money I made back then.

That was really what run me back down here, none of that rent I could afford... I did find a little apartment over near Little Five Points that was $200 a month but that was still a lot of money with only one job, and a little child. There must have been jobs in Atlanta, but I didn't know any of the right people.

The part of the story you probably don't know is we moved out of those La Maison Apartments, owing at least two months of rent (since none of us ever paid rent!) (which was like $365 a month utilities not included!) into her grandmother's house, and then right after Halloween she just vanished, like she was kidneapped.

For about a month she was just gone, and the police couldn't help me at all, she was just gone.

In 1981?

I had one child in 1981, and was living with the mother and child (and married since 1978) in an apartment at the time Kathy mysteriously vanished..

The child was in the same house, the main part of the house, with his grandmother, as we rented an apartment in the back of the house.

I know I wrote all this to you earlier, but that's it again.

I was married to the mother, seemingly happily, in fact, so of course I had "custody" of the one child.

Again, that Friday night, my son was staying with the grandmother next door, who was babysitting him.

Not at all an unusual situation for a Friday night.

It was 1981 so only one child.

It was Friday night and the child was spending the weekend with his great-grandmother, Kathy's grandmother, who, as I wrote last po owned the house that also had two apartments, one rented by my wife and I, another upstairs attic apartment, where Kathy's father lived at the time.

One house, the child was next door.

I worked, my wife worked, the grandmother was the main babysitter, again, just next door, in the same house, actually.

So, that is the "reason my child was kept". This happened in 1981, and my daughter was not born until 1986.

Katherine died in 2004, the children were adults at that time, in fact, both were married by the time of Katherine's death.

The story we are discussing took place in 1981.

Then, crazy thing, her grandmother's house burned down, her grandmother and father moved into an apartment and I slept at the brak room at the lumber yard I worked at. This was around Christmas and New Years of 1983, after that Summer I knew you.

No, she left the baby with her grandmother, she had went to work at Old Hickory House BBQ like normal, and when it was time to get off she never made it, never came home.

It took a couple of months to finally find her... the only way I found out was that I was at my job and the guy from the front office cane down and said "Hey, we found your wife."

I was just about as insane by then as I could get, and kind of homeless! But I had a job and a nice little break room to stay in...

The only way I found her was the mental hospital she was checked in up in Marietta, Georgia wanted to get my insurance papers or whatever, to pay her bill!

She had been checked into a pretty fancy nut house at that. After the house burned down I lost contact with her grandmother, and father.

When her sister found her she was blanked out crazy, and was about to go to Texas with a Waitress friend she used to work with, Melody, a blonde she worked with at the BBQ place who was married to a Mexican from Texas.

I never got the whole story but I think the "kidnapping" was Melody and Andy Hernandez taking her to their house instead of home where I was waiting. I found out later they had a U-Haul packed to go back to Texas and were going to take Kathy with them, when Kathy's sister came up with the police and got her from them, and had her checked in the mental institution. And nobody felt like I was worth telling any of this, of course.

And nobody felt like I was worth telling any of this, of course.

So, she vanished, the house burned and they found a place to live without me, I worked and drank at Ken's Tavern until closing at 3AM then would go to the vreak shed at the lumber yard which had a good heater and a big chair, to sleep a while until morning, and work!

At some point Christmas and New Years passed... for some reason those days are blanked out of my mind for 1981 - I must have partied...

There was a decent bathroom with latrine and soap at the lumber yard, and I could scrub down pretty good there with a towel... and I stayed on Skip's couch some nights, and showered down there when I got a chance. So after a couple of months of her being just missing, and nobody told me, her father or grandfather, or the Police, who I feel should have been the ones to tell me. I kind of thought she might have been killed by then, and kind of just settled with that idea.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Looked All Over / Will Dockery

<4b493000-caf9-414d-a059-7bb619b944aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195069&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195069

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 06:22:41 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:22 UTC

<28810a1aac77139e592734ff42b6e805@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195072&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195072

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:33:25 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:33 UTC

<6feb0c66-8a2c-4a71-b8ec-1d058b0ad67cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195086&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195086

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 07:04:17 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 15:04 UTC

<735ea3952d28349abdc138ee4ed18d5d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195117&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195117

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:45:31 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:45 UTC

<74007495-daf7-4fbf-ab9c-cd6f1266b93fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195139&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195139

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 09:29:59 -0800 (PST)
From: cocodeso...@gmail.com (Coco DeSockmonkey)
 by: Coco DeSockmonkey - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 17:29 UTC

<adba10f5-ca6e-447a-86b1-eaa52a1b546en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195198&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195198

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 14:48:53 -0800 (PST)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 22:48 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]
>
> But I went to the office at Carolina Lumber and they had all the information on her, from my insurance company, where she was, the hospital, and I told Jag who took me right out there that night. And they wouldn't let me in to see her, and my mind was so shot I just don't even know what I did then.. Probably wanted to cry or something, so I went to the bar I'm sure.
>
> -Will Dockery
>
> -----------------
>
> I have to agree, it is a pretty good piece of writing, worth editing and turning into a new poem.

<091243a9-330a-49c8-b3d0-dac1531d8834n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195232&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195232

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:19:21 -0800 (PST)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 00:19 UTC

<1af6c774aa38de1c4875884b84d11a51@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195264&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195264

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 01:45:27 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 01:45 UTC

<1979da0e-516e-40d7-8191-a076fb408181n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195279&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195279

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 18:47:52 -0800 (PST)
From: cocodeso...@gmail.com (Coco DeSockmonkey)
 by: Coco DeSockmonkey - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 02:47 UTC

<1e79069d67cc54b36c6f872c65028e50@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=195286&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#195286

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 03:02:57 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 03:02 UTC

<a43b6f9c74991e0aa147f8b026dab53f@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196408&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#196408

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 21:29:54 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 21:29 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]

> And nobody felt like I was worth telling any of this, of course.

> So, she vanished, the house burned and they found a place to live without me, I worked and drank at Ken's Tavern until closing at 3AM then would go to the vreak shed at the lumber yard which had a good heater and a big chair, to sleep a while until morning, and work!

> At some point Christmas and New Years passed... for some reason those days are blanked out of my mind for 1981 - I must have partied...

<ed61740849cf016234c4312239aca1a5@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196605&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#196605

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:04:17 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:04 UTC

<0eda1bc3faa45f183ef812f3db1a1982@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=196726&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#196726

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 08:09:22 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 08:09 UTC

<7d861445-6df0-4397-af3b-7491a9040ec7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=197672&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#197672

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 14:38:54 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 22:38 UTC

<6a2a521834b1b053e282dd50f8091213@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=197860&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#197860

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:18:06 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:18 UTC