It's hard to drive at the limit, but it's harder to know where the limits are. -- Stirling Moss

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)A Friend
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
|| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
||  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)A Friend
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)The Horny Goat
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
| |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
| ||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)suzeeq
| | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)shawn
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)BTR1701

Pages:12
What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubapp5$1s208$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198279&group=rec.arts.tv#198279

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 07:36:23 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:36 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S9E10 'The Fourth Horseman: Part 1' - DVD
"SG-6 returns from a stealth mission to P2X-885 - another planet has
fallen to the Ori - but more seriously, they return with a deadly
flu-like disease. They soon have a fast-spreading epidemic on their
hands. Three planets have now fallen to the Ori, but they have a new
convert - Gerak, who proposes to the Jaffa High Council that it become
the religion of all Jaffa. Teal'c and Master Bra'tac argue against the
proposal and are prepared to go to war if the Jaffa high council
approves Gerak's proposal. Sam has been working on a device that may
render the Ori powerless. She and Dr. Lee try to find a way to use sonic
waves to affect only a small part of the Ori's brain function. SGC gets
help from an unexpected source."

Orlin: I no longer possess the power to simply cure this plague as
I could have as an ascended being. However, with the knowledge I still
retain, I believe I can synthesize a cure using your medical technology.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: You built a Stargate in my basement with
the spare parts from a toaster.
Orlin: Actually, this will be a little harder than that.

Orlin: [Getting food in the SGC commissary] It has been a while
since I experienced human senses, but this food doesn't smell very good.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: That's because it's not very good.

Trivia: General John P. Jumper, then Chief of Staff of the Unites States
Air Force, was to make his second cameo appearance in this episode to
make the speech at the hangar, but at the last minute he was
unavailable. Don S. Davis stood in as General Hammond to deliver the
same speech at short notice, which is why he is wearing a civilian suit
rather than a uniform.

*dramatic music as Priorized Lou Gossett Jr. walks into the room at the
end of the episode*

Commentary: Director Andy Mikita and writer Damian Kindler. One of the
first things they mention is that "we have a tendency from time to time
to go off topic from time to time and we're going to make every effort
this time not to." O_o Combined with the preceding commentaries one
can only assume a very large, very stinky ball of fecal matter was
rolled down from on high at Stargate Command. Some intervals of dead
air because neither of them had seen the final cut of the episode before.

--------------

Stargate: SG-1 S9E11 'The Fourth Horseman: Part 2' - DVD
"The virus continues to spread - cases have now been reported in Canada
and Mexico - and has resulted in many deaths. Gerak has become a Prior
of the Ori and continues his pleas to the Jaffa High Council to make
this their State religion. Orlin has been working too hard on developing
a vaccine and his attempt to retain as much knowledge as possible is
causing brain damage. Meanwhile, Mitchell and Daniel Jackson test the
new sonic device in order to get a sample of a Prior's blood."

Damaris: We are beacons on the road to enlightenment.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: No. You're dark side intergalactic
encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite
upfront with you.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Nice work on the metaphor.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Thank you.

Gerak: If I help you, I will die. But I will die... FREE!

Goof: (This one is just for Anim.) Jolan tells Mitchel the planet
struck by the Ori plague had its population decimated, that "there was
no one left." Decimating a population means reducing it by 1/10th, not
extermination.

Trivia: Landry's first appearance off-world.

Commentary: Director Andy Mikita and producer Paul Mullie. The location
they shoot at right on the US-Canada border has a difficulty with
marijuana smugglers.

-------------------

The Proof Is Out There S3E18 'Marfa Lights, Devil Goat and subway
Survivor' - DVR (History Channel)
"Examining if the famous flowing lights seen above Marfa, Texas are a
natural or supernatural phenomenon, what spirit possed a goat to walk
down a street like a human, and if mysterious stone carvings in Japan
are connected to a close encounter."
Beware herds of goats in trees. o_O The video of a herd in a tree is
disquieting.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198287&group=rec.arts.tv#198287

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 08:42:39 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 15:42 UTC

On 8/13/2023 7:36 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> Stargate: SG-1 S9E10 'The Fourth Horseman: Part 1' - DVD
> "SG-6 returns from a stealth mission to P2X-885 - another planet has
> fallen to the Ori - but more seriously, they return with a deadly
> flu-like disease. They soon have a fast-spreading epidemic on their
> hands. Three planets have now fallen to the Ori, but they have a new
> convert - Gerak, who proposes to the Jaffa High Council that it become
> the religion of all Jaffa. Teal'c and Master Bra'tac argue against the
> proposal and are prepared to go to war if the Jaffa high council
> approves Gerak's proposal. Sam has been working on a device that may
> render the Ori powerless. She and Dr. Lee try to find a way to use sonic
> waves to affect only a small part of the Ori's brain function. SGC gets
> help from an unexpected source."
>
>     Orlin: I no longer possess the power to simply cure this plague as
> I could have as an ascended being. However, with the knowledge I still
> retain, I believe I can synthesize a cure using your medical technology.
>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: You built a Stargate in my basement with
> the spare parts from a toaster.
>     Orlin: Actually, this will be a little harder than that.
>
>     Orlin: [Getting food in the SGC commissary] It has been a while
> since I experienced human senses, but this food doesn't smell very good.
>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: That's because it's not very good.
>
> Trivia: General John P. Jumper, then Chief of Staff of the Unites States
> Air Force, was to make his second cameo appearance in this episode to
> make the speech at the hangar, but at the last minute he was
> unavailable. Don S. Davis stood in as General Hammond to deliver the
> same speech at short notice, which is why he is wearing a civilian suit
> rather than a uniform.

Nice.

> *dramatic music as Priorized Lou Gossett Jr. walks into the room at the
> end of the episode*
>
> Commentary: Director Andy Mikita and writer Damian Kindler.  One of the
> first things they mention is that "we have a tendency from time to time
> to go off topic from time to time and we're going to make every effort
> this time not to."  O_o  Combined with the preceding commentaries one
> can only assume a very large, very stinky ball of fecal matter was
> rolled down from on high at Stargate Command.  Some intervals of dead
> air because neither of them had seen the final cut of the episode before.
>
> --------------
>
> Stargate: SG-1 S9E11 'The Fourth Horseman: Part 2' - DVD
> "The virus continues to spread - cases have now been reported in Canada
> and Mexico - and has resulted in many deaths. Gerak has become a Prior
> of the Ori and continues his pleas to the Jaffa High Council to make
> this their State religion. Orlin has been working too hard on developing
> a vaccine and his attempt to retain as much knowledge as possible is
> causing brain damage. Meanwhile, Mitchell and Daniel Jackson test the
> new sonic device in order to get a sample of a Prior's blood."
>
>     Damaris: We are beacons on the road to enlightenment.
>     Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: No. You're dark side intergalactic
> encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite
> upfront with you.
>     Dr. Daniel Jackson: Nice work on the metaphor.
>     Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Thank you.

Knowing he's not allowed to ad lib, that's just the writers patting
themselves on the back. ;-)

> Gerak: If I help you, I will die. But I will die... FREE!
>
> Goof: (This one is just for Anim.)  Jolan tells Mitchel the planet
> struck by the Ori plague had its population decimated, that "there was
> no one left." Decimating a population means reducing it by 1/10th, not
> extermination.
>
> Trivia: Landry's first appearance off-world.
>
> Commentary: Director Andy Mikita and producer Paul Mullie.  The location
> they shoot at right on the US-Canada border has a difficulty with
> marijuana smugglers.
>
> -------------------
>
> The Proof Is Out There S3E18 'Marfa Lights, Devil Goat and subway
> Survivor' - DVR (History Channel)
> "Examining if the famous flowing lights seen above Marfa, Texas are a
> natural or supernatural phenomenon, what spirit possed a goat to walk
> down a street like a human, and if mysterious stone carvings in Japan
> are connected to a close encounter."
> Beware herds of goats in trees.  o_O  The video of a herd in a tree is
> disquieting.
>
> What Did You Watch?

I watched:

Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.

On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
that out there then good for her for taking a stand.

Bride of Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1990 sequel directed by Brian Yuzna and
starring Jeffrey Combs who in spite of having died at the end of the
first movie, he got better for more wacky zombie adventures trying to
reanimate the dead. This was just above background noise with the
commentary track.

Beyond Re-Animator (blu-ray) 2003 sequel directed by Brian Yuzna and
once again starring Jeffrey Combs as everyone's favorite mad scientist,
Dr. West, with a thing for reanimating the dead. Once again ignoring
the fact that Combs died at the end of the previous movie, this one
picks up with him in jail for all of his past misdeeds, but prison can't
keep a good mad scientist down. And this time he's got a fan in the
form of a doctor who witnessed the zombies when he was a kid and now
grew up to become a doctor and work in the same prison as West to help
him. There's plenty of people to experiment on in prison! This is the
first time I've watched this since it originally aired on TV in 2003.
That would mean this is also the first time I watched it uncut and in
the proper aspect ratio. This was just above background noise with the
commentary track.

From Beyond (4K disc) 1986 sci-fi / horror movie directed by Stuart
Gordon, produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara
Crampton. The team from Re-Animator reunite to be even more over the
top as Combs plays a (checks notes) mad scientist who invents a machine
that can pierce the veil of this dimension and allow monsters from
another dimension into ours. Wackiness ensues! I remember when
"Re-Animator" came out I thought it had to be the scariest, grossest
movie I had ever watched. Then "From Beyond" came out and said, "hold
my beer!" I watched with the commentary track. The cast was in full on
snark mode for the commentary.

As a side, I put the blu-ray in and was about 10 minutes into the movie
when I checked something online and noticed the movie was released on 4K
disc. I thought to myself I didn't know this was on 4K. And how did I
not buy the 4K disc. Then I checked and it turned out I *did* buy the
4K disc. So I quickly swapped out the blu-ray for the 4K version.
Which actually did look better. The colors were much more vibrant on
the 4K disc. I have a dedicated room just for my movie collection, but
I keep the new movies I buy, particularly the 4K new ones that I haven't
watched yet, on a separate shelf. And I leave the old blu-ray on the
shelf until I watch the 4K and swap out the disc. But I completely
forgot that I had upgraded "From Beyond" to 4K so I just went to the
movie room and grabbed the old blu-ray off the shelf.

Society (blu-ray) 1989 horror movie directed by Brian Yuzna. It stars
Billy Warlock as a young man who suspects his family might not be what
they appear to be. And since this is a horror movie it turns out he's
right! The movie is a commentary on societal class structure with
shapeshifting blob monsters at the top of the class. And every now and
then the monsters will raise up a human child from birth before they eat
him. I don't think I've watched this since seeing it on TV around the
original release. I guess it held up well enough. This would have been
my first time watching it in the proper aspect ratio. It was mostly
background noise with the commentary.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubavqm$1suk6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198290&group=rec.arts.tv#198290

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:19 UTC

On 8/13/23 7:36 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> What Did You Watch?

I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
assignments for my summer class...)...:

soaps: GH - Fri's ep (now that Hulu is forcing me to watch ep's a day
behind!!). Somebody torches Anna's house while she's out for a (night?!)
run. After the "bar fight", the cops have hauled "Eddie", Olivia and
Carly in, and Chase is forced to deal with them - Carly refuses Sonny's
help to be released; meanwhile, Austin's scuzzy cousin goes to him after
the fight for stitches. Sam convinces Dante to let Maxie rent out
Dante's place.

golf - Mostly turned golf on in the afternoon, and just vegged out. The
St. Jude Championship is the first leg of the FedEx Cup playoff. Day 3
ended with Lucas Glover(!) atop the leaderboard, with Taylor Moore in
second, but lots of bigger names just back from that like Mick
Fleetwood, Jordan Speith, Max Homa, etc.

School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
List The Younger also starred in!).
It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
it were on an acceptable streamer!

Abducted by My Teacher: The Elizabeth Thomas Story (Lifetime) - This
seemed, 1) very by the numbers, and 2) very much a one-sided
"defense"(/portrayal) of Elizabeth Thomas. Frankly, this would have been
more interesting if portrayed with a little more balance.
I guess Summer Howell was fine in the lead role. I did like the
brother, played by Gino Anania.

Blind Waters (Tubi!) - A Tubi original!!
Oh, boy...
The first red flag for me is when I saw its runtime was 1 hour 40
minutes instead of about 1 hour 20 minutes - indeed, after watching
this, the movie literally could have been *half* as long as it was, and
it would have been a lot better.
The second red flag?! - This flick was from the Asylum!! :o
I will say this - Asylum has gotten better at filming over the
years: their stuff no longer looks dirt cheap, like it did on Siffy
Channel in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, though - Asylum may be better
at filming now, but they're still not better at writing, editing or
directing... :/ Basic stuff, like - Does the Asylum know the
difference between blurred vision and total blindness?!?!! Because the
writer sure doesn't seem to, from one line to the next!! [facepalm]
But the shark CGI is just as bad as you remembered it!... It's hard
to know what's worse - the really bad CGI shark, or the long stretches
without the shark!!
Anyway, I may like Meghan Carrasquillo, but this was *not* good.
The one thing that might have partially redeemed it was a "dark"
ending (which they perfectly set up!!), but they failed to go with it...
>:/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<hi2idida1vq5q9dpbn5g98f7e1lsh6jmpc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198302&group=rec.arts.tv#198302

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 12:59:28 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:59 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 8/13/23 7:36 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>> What Did You Watch?
>
>I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
>assignments for my summer class...)...:
>

>School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
>didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
>I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
>recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
> Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
>much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
>List The Younger also starred in!).
> It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
>it were on an acceptable streamer!

I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Decent acting throughout the
season and they manage to introduce a new element in each episode so
there's no true filler episodes. Also a good setup for a second season
for the show.

Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
enjoyable movie.

I also have been watching TWISTED METAL which really has four main
characters. There's John Doe, who works as a Milk Man who does
deliveries of special items between the walled cities that have formed
after all electronics in the world were fried. There's Quiet who is
one of the people living outside the walled cities. There's a law man
who believes in harshly enforcing every law. Then finally there's
SweetTooth who, as it turns out, just loves putting on a show with the
law men.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubb53q$1tlj6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198310&group=rec.arts.tv#198310

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:49:46 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:49 UTC

On 8/13/23 9:59 AM, shawn wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/13/23 7:36 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>
>>> What Did You Watch?
>>
>> I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
>> assignments for my summer class...)...:
>>
>> School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
>> didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
>> I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
>> recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
>> Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
>> much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
>> List The Younger also starred in!).
>> It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
>> it were on an acceptable streamer!
>
> I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Decent acting throughout the
> season and they manage to introduce a new element in each episode so
> there's no true filler episodes. Also a good setup for a second season
> for the show.

I figured. But I ain't gettin' Pee+, regardless!!

> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
> enjoyable movie.
>
> I also have been watching TWISTED METAL which really has four main
> characters.

This is definitely on my list - now that you mention it, I may get to
this before "Cruel Summer" season #2, as it's only 30 min episodes!!

> There's John Doe, who works as a Milk Man who does
> deliveries of special items between the walled cities that have formed
> after all electronics in the world were fried. There's Quiet who is
> one of the people living outside the walled cities. There's a law man
> who believes in harshly enforcing every law. Then finally there's
> SweetTooth who, as it turns out, just loves putting on a show with the
> law men.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubb5ak$1tn43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198312&group=rec.arts.tv#198312

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:53:24 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:53 UTC

On 8/13/2023 9:59 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/13/23 7:36 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>
>>> What Did You Watch?
>>
>> I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
>> assignments for my summer class...)...:
>>

>> School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
>> didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
>> I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
>> recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
>> Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
>> much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
>> List The Younger also starred in!).
>> It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
>> it were on an acceptable streamer!
>
> I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Decent acting throughout the
> season and they manage to introduce a new element in each episode so
> there's no true filler episodes. Also a good setup for a second season
> for the show.

This is on my watch list. I just have to remember it exists. But if
this strike keeps going I'm going to start to remember a bunch of
forgotten shows on my watch list.

> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
> enjoyable movie.

Robocop never fails to deliver!

> I also have been watching TWISTED METAL which really has four main
> characters. There's John Doe, who works as a Milk Man who does
> deliveries of special items between the walled cities that have formed
> after all electronics in the world were fried. There's Quiet who is
> one of the people living outside the walled cities. There's a law man
> who believes in harshly enforcing every law. Then finally there's
> SweetTooth who, as it turns out, just loves putting on a show with the
> law men.

So is it good? It's on my watch list, but low on the list.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<817idipnmreddh9o0ot1tbn03mtcvm4osb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198314&group=rec.arts.tv#198314

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:11:54 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:11 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:53:24 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 8/13/2023 9:59 AM, shawn wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
>>> assignments for my summer class...)...:
>>>

>>> School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
>>> didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
>>> I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
>>> recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
>>> Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
>>> much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
>>> List The Younger also starred in!).
>>> It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
>>> it were on an acceptable streamer!
>>
>> I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Decent acting throughout the
>> season and they manage to introduce a new element in each episode so
>> there's no true filler episodes. Also a good setup for a second season
>> for the show.
>>

>This is on my watch list. I just have to remember it exists. But if
>this strike keeps going I'm going to start to remember a bunch of
>forgotten shows on my watch list.
>

>> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
>> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
>> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
>> enjoyable movie.
>>

>Robocop never fails to deliver!
>
>> I also have been watching TWISTED METAL which really has four main
>> characters. There's John Doe, who works as a Milk Man who does
>> deliveries of special items between the walled cities that have formed
>> after all electronics in the world were fried. There's Quiet who is
>> one of the people living outside the walled cities. There's a law man
>> who believes in harshly enforcing every law. Then finally there's
>> SweetTooth who, as it turns out, just loves putting on a show with the
>> law men.
>>

>So is it good? It's on my watch list, but low on the list.

I'm enjoying it. It's helped by the fact that each episode is under 30
minutes. I'm not so sure it would hold up as a full hour long show but
this shorter version works for me. Give the first episode a try. If it
doesn't work for you don't bother with the rest of the episodes as I
think the first episode does a good job of showing you how the rest
wil be. That said there's is an ongoing story that I'm not sure how it
is going to end other than it's going to be bloody and not turn out at
all like it was desired, which is one of the common points of the
show. Unfullfilled desires.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubb6m8$1ts8t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198316&group=rec.arts.tv#198316

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:16:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:16 UTC

>. . .

>Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
>I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
>ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
>enjoyable movie.

I love RoboCop. Is "OG" something today's yout' are saying about movies
I saw in theater when they were new?

>. . .

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ds7idipcd14ks2kuesi0ht5tnd9ujrdo5c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198317&group=rec.arts.tv#198317

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:34:47 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:34 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:16:40 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>. . .
>
>>Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
>>I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
>>ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
>>enjoyable movie.
>
>I love RoboCop. Is "OG" something today's yout' are saying about movies
>I saw in theater when they were new?

I use the OG term to differentiate it from the remake. Haven't seen
the remake so I have no idea how good/bad it is, but the original is
worthy of an OG label.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubb7vh$279q$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198318&group=rec.arts.tv#198318

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:38:41 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:38 UTC

On 8/13/2023 11:16 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
>> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
>> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
>> enjoyable movie.
>
> I love RoboCop. Is "OG" something today's yout' are saying about movies
> I saw in theater when they were new?
>
>> . . .
Sub 'Original' for OG.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ot9idi1mpdiamf0h13fjc3v1dadi3l53e2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198321&group=rec.arts.tv#198321

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:58:53 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:58 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:38:41 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>On 8/13/2023 11:16 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . . .
>>
>>> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
>>> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
>>> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
>>> enjoyable movie.
>>
>> I love RoboCop. Is "OG" something today's yout' are saying about movies
>> I saw in theater when they were new?
>>
>>> . . .
>Sub 'Original' for OG.

I look at is as something that is both original and great as in this
definition: OG, short for “original gangster” or “original gangsta,”
is a slang term for someone who's incredibly exceptional, authentic,
or “old-school.” So this movie is both old-school and exceptional.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<1063127061.713650402.308176.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198329&group=rec.arts.tv#198329

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 13:16:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 20:16 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/13/23 9:59 AM, shawn wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
>>> assignments for my summer class...)...:
>>>
>>> School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
>>> didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
>>> I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
>>> recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
>>> Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
>>> much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
>>> List The Younger also starred in!).
>>> It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
>>> it were on an acceptable streamer!
>>
>> I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Decent acting throughout the
>> season and they manage to introduce a new element in each episode so
>> there's no true filler episodes. Also a good setup for a second season
>> for the show.
>
> I figured. But I ain't gettin' Pee+, regardless!!

But like Disney+ and Hulu+, P+ is free!

>> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
>> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
>> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
>> enjoyable movie.
>>
>> I also have been watching TWISTED METAL which really has four main
>> characters.
>
> This is definitely on my list - now that you mention it, I may get to
> this before "Cruel Summer" season #2, as it's only 30 min episodes!!
>
>> There's John Doe, who works as a Milk Man who does
>> deliveries of special items between the walled cities that have formed
>> after all electronics in the world were fried. There's Quiet who is
>> one of the people living outside the walled cities. There's a law man
>> who believes in harshly enforcing every law. Then finally there's
>> SweetTooth who, as it turns out, just loves putting on a show with the
>> law men.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<912571187.713650535.228581.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198330&group=rec.arts.tv#198330

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 13:16:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 20:16 UTC

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:19:34 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/13/23 7:36 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>
>>> What Did You Watch?
>>
>> I mostly did nothing yesterday!! (though I did grade the last three
>> assignments for my summer class...)...:
>>

>> School Spirits (recorded) - With nothing else left in the queue (I
>> didn't want to start "Cruel Summer" yesterday, or likely today either!),
>> I finally got around to watching the pilot of this show, that I had
>> recorded off Paramount Channel back in March(!).
>> Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good pilot - this seemed to be a
>> much better show than, say, Hulu's "Light as a Feather" (which Peyton
>> List The Younger also starred in!).
>> It's too bad it's on Pee+, because I would have watched this show if
>> it were on an acceptable streamer!
>
> I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. Decent acting throughout the
> season and they manage to introduce a new element in each episode so
> there's no true filler episodes. Also a good setup for a second season
> for the show.
>

> Since you asked, I'm sure you asked "What Did I Watch"
> I got in a few things over the past few days. Yesterday I rewatched
> ROBOCOP, the OG version with some friends. It still holds up as an
> enjoyable movie.

Verhoeven movies tend to hold up as enjoyable absurdist comedies as long as
you put out of your mind that that isn’t what he was trying to make at all.

> I also have been watching TWISTED METAL which really has four main
> characters. There's John Doe, who works as a Milk Man who does
> deliveries of special items between the walled cities that have formed
> after all electronics in the world were fried. There's Quiet who is
> one of the people living outside the walled cities. There's a law man
> who believes in harshly enforcing every law. Then finally there's
> SweetTooth who, as it turns out, just loves putting on a show with the
> law men.
>
> What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<130820231730300687%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198341&group=rec.arts.tv#198341

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:30:30 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:30 UTC

In article <ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
> produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
> Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
> reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
> track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
> score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
> mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.
>
> On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
> body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
> taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
> a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
> forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
> picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
> was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
> pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
> actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
> know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
> that out there then good for her for taking a stand.

Crampton was nuts to think that stills from her nude scene wouldn't
start circulating the moment the film was out. Cripes, I just found a
set of 36 (!) just from that sequence, and it didn't take me any time
or effort at all.

If Crampton didn't want to bear the obvious consequences of doing the
scene, she shouldn't have done it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubbkhs$1vnlh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198343&group=rec.arts.tv#198343

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:13:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:13 UTC

A Friend <A Friend> wrote:
>In article <ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
><arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
>> produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
>> Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
>> reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
>> track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
>> score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
>> mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.
>>
>> On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
>> body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
>> taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
>> a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
>> forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
>> picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
>> was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
>> pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
>> actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
>> know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
>> that out there then good for her for taking a stand.
>

>Crampton was nuts to think that stills from her nude scene wouldn't
>start circulating the moment the film was out. Cripes, I just found a
>set of 36 (!) just from that sequence, and it didn't take me any time
>or effort at all.
>
>If Crampton didn't want to bear the obvious consequences of doing the
>scene, she shouldn't have done it.

Bare the consequence, shirley

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<44qidi5ustdfan8sjkn1vggm9t2cvu7v08@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198344&group=rec.arts.tv#198344

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 19:40:20 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 23:40 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:30:30 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article <ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
><arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
>> produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
>> Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
>> reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
>> track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
>> score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
>> mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.
>>
>> On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
>> body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
>> taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
>> a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
>> forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
>> picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
>> was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
>> pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
>> actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
>> know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
>> that out there then good for her for taking a stand.

Wait a minute, was he selling nude pictures that were taken on the day
of her shoot or nude stills from the movie? While not legal to sell
those stills anyone that puts out a movie with nude segments in the
movie has to expect those segments to make it into the public eye
separately from the movie. If she really had a problem with nudes
pictures being out there then she should never have done the movie or
at least insisted that she not do the nude scene.

It's like Alyssa Milano and her mom getting all upset about that Outer
Limits (I think that was the show) pictures getting distributed on the
Internet with her being nude. If she really had a problem with it she
would never have done the segment.

>Crampton was nuts to think that stills from her nude scene wouldn't
>start circulating the moment the film was out. Cripes, I just found a
>set of 36 (!) just from that sequence, and it didn't take me any time
>or effort at all.
>
>If Crampton didn't want to bear the obvious consequences of doing the
>scene, she shouldn't have done it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<990341598.713664050.586333.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198365&group=rec.arts.tv#198365

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:40:52 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 01:40 UTC

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:30:30 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
>> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
>>> produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
>>> Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
>>> reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
>>> track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
>>> score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
>>> mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.
>>>
>>> On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
>>> body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
>>> taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
>>> a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
>>> forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
>>> picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
>>> was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
>>> pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
>>> actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
>>> know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
>>> that out there then good for her for taking a stand.
>
> Wait a minute, was he selling nude pictures that were taken on the day
> of her shoot or nude stills from the movie? While not legal to sell
> those stills anyone that puts out a movie with nude segments in the
> movie has to expect those segments to make it into the public eye
> separately from the movie. If she really had a problem with nudes
> pictures being out there then she should never have done the movie or
> at least insisted that she not do the nude scene.
>
> It's like Alyssa Milano and her mom getting all upset about that Outer
> Limits (I think that was the show) pictures getting distributed on the
> Internet with her being nude. If she really had a problem with it she
> would never have done the segment.

EMBRACE OF THE VAMPIRE with Charlotte Lewis (Rowr)

There are some from outer limits too but vampire is the mother load

And of course her mother had no claim to the photos. They belong to the
movie Company.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubc3bp$25cs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198372&group=rec.arts.tv#198372

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 19:25:48 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 02:25 UTC

On 8/13/2023 4:40 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:30:30 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
>> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
>>> produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
>>> Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
>>> reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
>>> track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
>>> score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
>>> mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.
>>>
>>> On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
>>> body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
>>> taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
>>> a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
>>> forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
>>> picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
>>> was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
>>> pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
>>> actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
>>> know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
>>> that out there then good for her for taking a stand.
>
> Wait a minute, was he selling nude pictures that were taken on the day
> of her shoot or nude stills from the movie? While not legal to sell
> those stills anyone that puts out a movie with nude segments in the
> movie has to expect those segments to make it into the public eye
> separately from the movie. If she really had a problem with nudes
> pictures being out there then she should never have done the movie or
> at least insisted that she not do the nude scene.

I think they said someone got hold of the film negative itself and
produced the pictures. Keep in mind this movie came out in the 80s.
There was no internet, like it is today. She didn't pose for a
magazine. The *only* way anyone could see her naked was to pay their $5
and go to a movie theater and that was it. A bit later maybe renting
the movie on VHS or watching it on cable. She had every reason to
believe there would not be high quality nudes of her being sold as
conventions. Even if it wasn't nude, she still may have had approval
over which publicity images were authorized.

> It's like Alyssa Milano and her mom getting all upset about that Outer
> Limits (I think that was the show) pictures getting distributed on the
> Internet with her being nude. If she really had a problem with it she
> would never have done the segment.
>>
>> Crampton was nuts to think that stills from her nude scene wouldn't
>> start circulating the moment the film was out. Cripes, I just found a
>> set of 36 (!) just from that sequence, and it didn't take me any time
>> or effort at all.
>>
>> If Crampton didn't want to bear the obvious consequences of doing the
>> scene, she shouldn't have done it.

I'm assuming you found those pictures using the internet, which did not
exist at the time. How could she have possibly accounted for
nonexistent technology or someone stealing a copy of the film negative?
And keep in mind it wasn't just people seeing the image, someone was
*profiting* off of the image.

Or to put it another way, companies put out their own corporate logos
publicly far and wide. But if someone took that logo without permission
and used it to make money, no one would give it a second thought if that
company sued them into oblivion.

I've been watching the second season of the Secrets of Playboy and in
some of the stories I generally agree, what did you think was going to
happen. But in a lot of the stories the attitude is because a woman
took a nude photo it's OK to treat her like dirt. I just think it is
possible for someone to agree to take a nude picture in one specific
scenario without that meaning they agree for the rest of eternity to be
treated like a second class person with no autonomy over their body or
how they are portrayed. Especially if some third unrelated party is
profiting off of the image.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<tf5jdihefv3go5f9oupksf9htucu4tovda@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198381&group=rec.arts.tv#198381

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:56:42 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 02:56 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 19:25:48 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
> [...]

>*profiting* off of the image.
>
>Or to put it another way, companies put out their own corporate logos
>publicly far and wide. But if someone took that logo without permission
>and used it to make money, no one would give it a second thought if that
>company sued them into oblivion.
>
>I've been watching the second season of the Secrets of Playboy and in
>some of the stories I generally agree, what did you think was going to
>happen. But in a lot of the stories the attitude is because a woman
>took a nude photo it's OK to treat her like dirt. I just think it is
>possible for someone to agree to take a nude picture in one specific
>scenario without that meaning they agree for the rest of eternity to be
>treated like a second class person with no autonomy over their body or
>how they are portrayed. Especially if some third unrelated party is

It's not a question of what is right or ethical. That's up to each
individual and the legal system. What I was referring to was the idea
that if someone made a movie in which they were nude and then expected
that it wasn't going to be a thing for people to spread the image
around. Even in the pre-digital age there were these things called
camera which could be used to take an image of a film being shown and
then multiple copies of that image developed.

Now, that doesn't mean the person would have the right to profit off
that image or even to distribute it. But not realizing it might be
done would be a bit naive. Less so in the pre-digital age, but in the
age of the Internet everyone should realize that the adage of once
something is on the Internet it's there forever is true. Especially
when it comes to nude images of lovely young women.

Which is why I remember there being speculation that the ruckus and
mention of law suits made when those nude images of Alyssa Milano were
making the rounds was that it was all designed to drum up publicity
for her. Whether that was true or not I don't think was ever answered,
but it certainly did generate a lot of discussion over the years and
it's clearly something that stuck in my brain and I was one that
thought she was better looking before the breast implants and before
she showed herself to be a bit of air head.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<1228316796.713680675.563362.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198388&group=rec.arts.tv#198388

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:15:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:15 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> Stargate: SG-1 S9E10 'The Fourth Horseman: Part 1' - DVD
> "SG-6 returns from a stealth mission to P2X-885 - another planet has
> fallen to the Ori - but more seriously, they return with a deadly
> flu-like disease. They soon have a fast-spreading epidemic on their
> hands. Three planets have now fallen to the Ori, but they have a new
> convert - Gerak, who proposes to the Jaffa High Council that it become
> the religion of all Jaffa. Teal'c and Master Bra'tac argue against the
> proposal and are prepared to go to war if the Jaffa high council
> approves Gerak's proposal. Sam has been working on a device that may
> render the Ori powerless. She and Dr. Lee try to find a way to use sonic
> waves to affect only a small part of the Ori's brain function. SGC gets
> help from an unexpected source."
>
> Orlin: I no longer possess the power to simply cure this plague as
> I could have as an ascended being. However, with the knowledge I still
> retain, I believe I can synthesize a cure using your medical technology.
> Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: You built a Stargate in my basement with
> the spare parts from a toaster.
> Orlin: Actually, this will be a little harder than that.
>
> Orlin: [Getting food in the SGC commissary] It has been a while
> since I experienced human senses, but this food doesn't smell very good.
> Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: That's because it's not very good.
>
> Trivia: General John P. Jumper, then Chief of Staff of the Unites States
> Air Force, was to make his second cameo appearance in this episode to
> make the speech at the hangar, but at the last minute he was
> unavailable. Don S. Davis stood in as General Hammond to deliver the
> same speech at short notice, which is why he is wearing a civilian suit
> rather than a uniform.

I always wondered about that. Thanks!

> *dramatic music as Priorized Lou Gossett Jr. walks into the room at the
> end of the episode*
>
> Commentary: Director Andy Mikita and writer Damian Kindler. One of the
> first things they mention is that "we have a tendency from time to time
> to go off topic from time to time and we're going to make every effort
> this time not to." O_o Combined with the preceding commentaries one
> can only assume a very large, very stinky ball of fecal matter was
> rolled down from on high at Stargate Command. Some intervals of dead
> air because neither of them had seen the final cut of the episode before.
>
> --------------
>
> Stargate: SG-1 S9E11 'The Fourth Horseman: Part 2' - DVD
> "The virus continues to spread - cases have now been reported in Canada
> and Mexico - and has resulted in many deaths. Gerak has become a Prior
> of the Ori and continues his pleas to the Jaffa High Council to make
> this their State religion. Orlin has been working too hard on developing
> a vaccine and his attempt to retain as much knowledge as possible is
> causing brain damage. Meanwhile, Mitchell and Daniel Jackson test the
> new sonic device in order to get a sample of a Prior's blood."
>
> Damaris: We are beacons on the road to enlightenment.
> Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: No. You're dark side intergalactic
> encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite
> upfront with you.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Nice work on the metaphor.
> Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Thank you.
>
> Gerak: If I help you, I will die. But I will die... FREE!
>
> Goof: (This one is just for Anim.) Jolan tells Mitchel the planet
> struck by the Ori plague had its population decimated, that "there was
> no one left." Decimating a population means reducing it by 1/10th, not
> extermination.

Literally!

The way people use the phrase started out at as a 10% reduction and then
somehow flip flopped to be a 90% reduction and now they’re trying to use it
to mean total annihilation which is stupid because we already have words
that mean total annihilation. For instance, total annihilation.

> Trivia: Landry's first appearance off-world.
>
> Commentary: Director Andy Mikita and producer Paul Mullie. The location
> they shoot at right on the US-Canada border has a difficulty with
> marijuana smugglers.
>
> -------------------
>
> The Proof Is Out There S3E18 'Marfa Lights, Devil Goat and subway
> Survivor' - DVR (History Channel)
> "Examining if the famous flowing lights seen above Marfa, Texas are a
> natural or supernatural phenomenon, what spirit possed a goat to walk
> down a street like a human, and if mysterious stone carvings in Japan
> are connected to a close encounter."
> Beware herds of goats in trees. o_O The video of a herd in a tree is
> disquieting.
>
> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<560091761.713680902.873861.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198389&group=rec.arts.tv#198389

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:15:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:15 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> What Did You Watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I went through a lot of shows the last week while I was laid up sick. I
have no idea if or when I’ll ever get to a decent report on any of them.
So here’s the mini reviews:

Run sweetie run
Ian made me watch this. I gave up about a third of the way in. There’s this
slutty paralegal who goes on a business date, and the guy ends up to be
some sort of magical monster, who chases her all over Los Angeles by the
smell of her dripping menstrual blood. She’s too stupid to stop at a
convenience store and pick up some period products. I gave up when I
realized I wanted the monster to win. This must be much more interesting to
the woman who wrote and directed it, than it could ever be to me.

The wandering earth too
Prequel to the original. Somewhere near the end, it takes an abrupt left
turn and becomes EARTHSTORM!

Starz on Marz
Not much happened. Those stupid AI reviews have killed my interest in
telling you what little happened.

Harry O
Entertaining private eye series with David Janssen. They’re currently
showing season two and there was a major format change between season one
and two.

Wagon train
I continue to watch the 90 minute color episodes

Lawman
Episodes from season, one sort of in order

Errol Flynn
TCM did a marathon. I even saw films of his I had never seen before! Of
course, adventures of Robin Hood is the Crown Jewel. For the first time I
noticed that there are scenes where the classic shadows on the wall are
fake, just painted on.
How can you possibly beat dialogue like “oh my prince would that you drink
of my lips as deeply“?

Hardy boys, VR
The last season of the Hulu series. I remembered I never reported on this
when I was watching the wondering earth two and they had a major subplot in
common.
Bailee Madison, late of good witch, fakes us out to think she is Nancy
Drew, but turns out to be the evil villainess, du jour.
Her plan, using 1980s technology, is to put everybody in the world into a
wireless VR state, where they’ll all be happy. Everybody. No provision for
caretakers. No one maintains the infrastructure. Everyone in the world
falls asleep, right where they are, inside or outside, and lives in VR
forever. No food. No shelter. Nobody rolling them over once a day. This is
the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a long long time. Most people would be
dead within a couple of days. Nobody would live out the week. I kept
thinking somebody would point this out to the witch, but no. The person
that wrote this is so stupid she just thought this would work.
All of this is a brand new plot that starts about a third of the way into
the season after they wrap up the dangling plot from the previous season.
Production on this must just have been a mess. It even sports a mostly
unhappy ending!

The Chosen.
I fell asleep and woke up with this running. A bunch of Mormons crowd
funded a series about the life of Jesus that all looks like Bollywood. I
have no idea what the hell they thought they were thinking!

Echo Base
Ian covered it. A mess of a movie about disinformation and the bad guy
should’ve won.

Heart of Stone
Gail Godot is the secret super spy. The first third of this was very good.
Then they kill off everybody you like but still go on for another couple
hours. There’s a huge segment ripped off intact from the Rocketeer!

Blind Waters.
Ian covered this pretty thoroughly. The asylum strikes again. What’s worse,
the worst CGI shark you’ve ever seen or what may well be the worst script
you’ve ever endured?

Captain America, the First Avenger
A friend of mine’s favorite MCU movie, I decided to give it a second
viewing. I didn’t like it at all the first time. I liked it a little more
this time. Another movie with Direct lifts from the Rocketeer but it’s the
same Director so at least we know why. I think with better casting, and a
Director who didn’t dislike America this could’ve been really good. I still
hate the title though. Obviously, Thor was around for thousands of years
before Captain America!

Disney+ has all the MCU movies and TV shows listed in various orders. I
chose timeline which starts with this one. However it doesn’t work and you
have to go back and look to see what movie you’re supposed to watch next
each time. Even though they included, the various awful TV stuff they’ve
done for Disney+ they did not include agents of shield. Snarl.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<atropos-7A4E22.22333413082023@69.muaa.rchm.washdctt.dsl.att.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198390&group=rec.arts.tv#198390

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:33:34 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:33 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Captain America, the First Avenger
> A friend of mine's favorite MCU movie, I decided to give it a second
> viewing. I didn't like it at all the first time. I liked it a little more
> this time. Another movie with Direct lifts from the Rocketeer but it's the
> same Director so at least we know why. I think with better casting, and a
> Director who didn't dislike America this could've been really good. I still
> hate the title though. Obviously, Thor was around for thousands of years
> before Captain America!

But he was just partying then, not avenging!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<140820230934569002%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198434&group=rec.arts.tv#198434

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:34:56 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:34 UTC

In article <ubc3bp$25cs1$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 8/13/2023 4:40 PM, shawn wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:30:30 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> > Wait a minute, was he selling nude pictures that were taken on the day
> > of her shoot or nude stills from the movie? While not legal to sell
> > those stills anyone that puts out a movie with nude segments in the
> > movie has to expect those segments to make it into the public eye
> > separately from the movie. If she really had a problem with nudes
> > pictures being out there then she should never have done the movie or
> > at least insisted that she not do the nude scene.
> >

> I think they said someone got hold of the film negative itself and
> produced the pictures. Keep in mind this movie came out in the 80s.
> There was no internet, like it is today. She didn't pose for a
> magazine. The *only* way anyone could see her naked was to pay their $5
> and go to a movie theater and that was it. A bit later maybe renting
> the movie on VHS or watching it on cable. She had every reason to
> believe there would not be high quality nudes of her being sold as
> conventions. Even if it wasn't nude, she still may have had approval
> over which publicity images were authorized.
>

> > It's like Alyssa Milano and her mom getting all upset about that Outer
> > Limits (I think that was the show) pictures getting distributed on the
> > Internet with her being nude. If she really had a problem with it she
> > would never have done the segment.
> >>
> >> Crampton was nuts to think that stills from her nude scene wouldn't
> >> start circulating the moment the film was out. Cripes, I just found a
> >> set of 36 (!) just from that sequence, and it didn't take me any time
> >> or effort at all.
> >>
> >> If Crampton didn't want to bear the obvious consequences of doing the
> >> scene, she shouldn't have done it.
>

> I'm assuming you found those pictures using the internet, which did not
> exist at the time.

Well, it did, but it wasn't used by the general public. However,
Compuserve existed. Genie existed. There were others, too.

Crampton shouldn't have done the scene if she feared the absolutely
certain consequences. She's not going to get a lot of sympathy from
me.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<m0ekdihlb48ri5t7arr9g4fh4nfdhkl05c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198436&group=rec.arts.tv#198436

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:24:23 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 14:24 UTC

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:34:56 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article <ubc3bp$25cs1$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
><arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> > Wait a minute, was he selling nude pictures that were taken on the day
>> > of her shoot or nude stills from the movie? While not legal to sell
>> > those stills anyone that puts out a movie with nude segments in the
>> > movie has to expect those segments to make it into the public eye
>> > separately from the movie. If she really had a problem with nudes
>> > pictures being out there then she should never have done the movie or
>> > at least insisted that she not do the nude scene.
>> >

>> I think they said someone got hold of the film negative itself and
>> produced the pictures. Keep in mind this movie came out in the 80s.
>> There was no internet, like it is today. She didn't pose for a
>> magazine. The *only* way anyone could see her naked was to pay their $5
>> and go to a movie theater and that was it. A bit later maybe renting
>> the movie on VHS or watching it on cable. She had every reason to
>> believe there would not be high quality nudes of her being sold as
>> conventions. Even if it wasn't nude, she still may have had approval
>> over which publicity images were authorized.
>>

>> > It's like Alyssa Milano and her mom getting all upset about that Outer
>> > Limits (I think that was the show) pictures getting distributed on the
>> > Internet with her being nude. If she really had a problem with it she
>> > would never have done the segment.

>> I'm assuming you found those pictures using the internet, which did not
>> exist at the time.
>

>Well, it did, but it wasn't used by the general public. However,
>Compuserve existed. Genie existed. There were others, too.
>
>Crampton shouldn't have done the scene if she feared the absolutely
>certain consequences. She's not going to get a lot of sympathy from
>me.

Agreed. I got on Usenet officially back in 1988 through a local BBS
that provided shell access, JDYX. While I wasn't into binaries at that
time the groups existed and I'm sure that there was world wide
distribution of those images of her and many others back in the day
through all of the available services. Hell, that reminds me of Bix
(Byte's Information Exchange and Quantumlink being available back in
the early 80s when I gave them a try.) While text communication was
the largest usage back in that day no one should doubt that picture
exchange happened and porn was one of the largest source of pictures.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-12 (Saturday)

<ubib7f$399v3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198638&group=rec.arts.tv#198638

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

In article <ubatm3$1skih$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie directed by Stuart Gordon,
>produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.
> Combs plays Dr. West, a mad scientist who invents a drug that can
>reanimate the dead. Wackiness ensues. I watched with the commentary
>track. The movie holds up very well. And I have to add I love the
>score. I had no idea the score was written by Charles Band until it was
>mentioned on one of the commentary tracks.
>
>On the commentary the director told a story about Barbara doing a full
>body nude scene in the movie, but the set was cleared and no pictures
>taken. Then years later Barbara was at a convention when a fan brought
>a nude picture from the movie for her to sign. She was furious and
>forced the fan to take her to who at the convention sold him the
>picture. Then she confiscated about 300 nude pictures of her the guy
>was selling. I don't recall exactly how he said the guy got the
>pictures, but it wasn't legal. I've been to horror conventions where
>actresses were selling nude photos of themselves at their tables. So I
>know not all actresses have a problem with nudes, but if she didn't want
>that out there then good for her for taking a stand.

Wait, where did the nude pics come from if they never filmed her nude scene?

>Bride of Re-Animator (blu-ray) 1990 sequel directed by Brian Yuzna and
>starring Jeffrey Combs who in spite of having died at the end of the
>first movie
>
>Beyond Re-Animator (blu-ray) 2003 sequel directed by Brian Yuzna and
>once again starring Jeffrey Combs as everyone's favorite mad scientist,
>Dr. West, with a thing for reanimating the dead. Once again ignoring
>the fact that Combs died at the end of the previous movie

Are you trying to tell us something?

TBH, I was not aware of the existance of sequels.

> From Beyond (4K disc) 1986 sci-fi / horror movie directed by Stuart
>Gordon, produced by Brian Yuzna and starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara
>Crampton. The team from Re-Animator reunite to be even more over the
>top as Combs plays a (checks notes) mad scientist who invents a machine
>that can pierce the veil of this dimension and allow monsters from
>another dimension into ours. Wackiness ensues! I remember when
>"Re-Animator" came out I thought it had to be the scariest, grossest
>movie I had ever watched. Then "From Beyond" came out and said, "hold
>my beer!" I watched with the commentary track. The cast was in full on
>snark mode for the commentary.

Is this the one with Claudia Christian?

>The Guyver (blu-ray) 1991 sci-fi movie (based on a Japanese comic)
>directed by Screaming Mad George (who did the special effects on a lot
>of movies produced by Brian Yuzna) and produced by Brian Yuzna. It's
>about a young man who gets the Blue Beetle scarab, I mean "Guyver"
>(which for all intents and purposes is the blue beetle scarab!) attached
>to his body.

Heh. I wondered why BLUE BEETLE sounded familiar.

--
Let's go Brandon!