My idea of roughing it turning the air conditioner too low.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

SubjectAuthor
* TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
+* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023shawn
|`* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023Ian J. Ball
| +* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023shawn
| |+- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
| |`- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
| `* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023shawn
|   `* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
|    `* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023Dimensional Traveler
|     `* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023shawn
|      `- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
+- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
+* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023Adam H. Kerman
||`- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
|`- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023anim8rfsk
`* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023BTR1701
 +- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023shawn
 `* Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023FPP
  `- Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023trotsky

1
TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<2001133430.713507568.643382.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198141&group=rec.arts.tv#198141

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: TV news for August 5-11, 2023
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:34:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 04:34 UTC

TV news for August 5-11, 2023

CBS news

‘Big Brother’ Houseguest Luke Valentine Ousted After Dropping N-Word: “Zero
Tolerance For Using Racial Slur” (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/big-brother-luke-valentine-n-word-1235458665/

‘FBI: Most Wanted’: Alexa Davalos Not Returning For Season 5 Of CBS Drama
(August 8)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/fbi-most-wanted-alexa-davalos-exit-kristin-gaines-not-returning-season-5-cbs-1235457078/

CW news

‘The Swarm’ Gets New Premiere Date On The CW (August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-swarm-new-premiere-date-the-cw-1235459651/

Fox news

‘MasterChef’ Renewed For Season 14 At Fox (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/masterchef-renewed-for-season-14-at-fox-1235458577/

Cable channel news

‘Power Book IV: Force’ Season 2 Trailer: Tommy Egan Is Ready For War With
The Chicago Drug World ­ Update [Starz] (August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/power-book-iv-force-season-2-premiere-date-trailer-first-look-photo-1235375563/

Sam Mendes & Armando Iannucci’s ‘The Franchise’ Comedy Ordered To Series At
HBO (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/sam-mendes-armando-iannucci-the-franchise-hbo-series-order-comedy-1235458390/

Streaming service news

“Few Countries Have Korea’s Level Of Experience With Zombies”: How The
Creators Of Netflix’s ‘Zombieverse’ Staged A Reality TV Apocalypse In Seoul
(August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/netflix-zombieverse-reality-survival-korea-seoul-1235459292/

‘The Fall Of The House Of Usher’ Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look
Photos (August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235459118/

‘Virgin River’ Sets Season 5 Premiere Date & Holiday Special; Trailer,
Images & Logline Provide Plot Clues ­ Update [Netflix] (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/virgin-river-season-5-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235447732/

‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ Teaser Trailer: First Look At David Oyelowo As The
Legendary U.S. Deputy Marshal; Photos [Paramount+] (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/lawmen-bass-reeves-trailer-first-look-david-oyelowo-photos-1235458501/

‘The Continental’: Colin Woodell’s Winston Scott Dives Into The Criminal
Underbelly Of New York City In Trailer For Peacock Series (August 9)

https://deadline.com/video/the-continental-trailer-john-wick-prequel-colin-woodell-winston-scott-mel-gibson-peacock/

‘The Changeling’ Trailer: LaKeith Stanfield Embarks On Death-Defying
Odyssey Through NYC In Apple TV+’s Horror Fantasy Drama Series (August 8)

https://deadline.com/video/the-changeling-trailer-lakeith-stanfield-apple-tv-plus-horror/

Ratings

‘Suits’ Continues To Dominate Nielsen Streaming Top 10; ‘Bluey’ Records
First Billion-Minute Week (August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/nielsen-streaming-ratings-suits-netflix-peacock-bluey-the-summer-i-turned-pretty-1235459890/

‘Heartstopper’ Season 2 Debuts In Second Place On Netflix Top 10 TV List;
‘The Lincoln Lawyer’ Soars Back To No. 1 (August 8)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/heartstopper-season-2-netflix-top-10-ratings-the-lincoln-lawyer-season-2-1235457633/

The business of TV

WGA & AMPTP To Resume Bargaining On Friday (August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/writers-guild-strike-talks-resume-amptp-1235459662/

Bob Iger On Linear Television, ESPN And Disney’s Streaming Pivot: “Thinking
Expansively And Considering A Variety Of Strategic Options” (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/bob-iger-disney-espn-cord-cutting-streaming-1235459306/

Disney Hiking Prices Of Ad-Free Disney+ And Hulu And Rolling Out Bundle Of
The Two; Will Expand Disney+ With Ads To UK, Canada And Europe In November
(August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-plus-hiking-prices-hulu-bundle-expands-advertising-uk-canada-europe-1235458744/

Disney Cuts Streaming Loss, Takes $2.4B Charge For DTC Content Purge In
Mixed June Quarter; Bob Iger Sees Cost Savings Topping $5.5B Target
(August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-earnings-streaming-disney-disney-world-bob-iger-1235458860/

WGA Calls Day 100 Of Writers Strike A “Milestone Of Shame” For AMPTP, But
Optimism For A Deal Remains (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/writers-strike-100th-day-milestone-of-shame-amptp-optimism-1235458016/

Strike Impact On The CW “Won’t Hurt Our Forward Progress,” Nexstar CEO
Perry Sook Says: “We Kind Of Like Our Chances In This Chaotic Environment”
(August 8)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-cw-looking-like-fox-nexstar-ceo-perry-sook-sports-wga-sag-strike-1235457318/

Disney Sports And Streaming Gains Help Company’s Upfront Sales Return To
Last Year’s Revenue And Volume Levels (August 8)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-sports-streaming-gains-help-upfront-return-to-2022-revenue-volume-levels-1235457725/

Lachlan Murdoch Sees Pay-TV Driving Value Of Fox Sports “For A Long Time To
Come” (August 8)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/fox-sports-lachlan-murdoch-pay-tv-espn-disney-bob-iger-1235457272/

Charlie Ergen’s Dish Network & EchoStar To Merge, Combining Satellite,
Broadband In All-Stock Deal (August 8)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/charlie-ergen-dish-network-echostar-merger-satellite-broadband-1235457478/

Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
Boosted Viewing (August 7)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/paramount-ceo-bob-bakish-streaming-bundle-third-parties-paramount-showtime-boosts-viewing-1235456846/

Obituaries

Linda Haynes Dies: Star Of ‘Rolling Thunder’ And ‘Brubaker’ Was 75 (August
11)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/linda-haynes-dead-star-rolling-thunder-brubaker-was-75-obituary-1235460805/

Johnny Hardwick Dies: ‘King Of The Hill’ Dale Gribble Voice Actor Was 64
(August 10)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/johnny-hardwick-dead-king-of-the-hill-1235459599/

Sharon Farrell Dies: Actress Who Starred In Film ‘It’s Alive’ And On TV’s
‘The Young And The Restless’ Was 82 (August 5)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/sharon-farrell-dies-actress-who-starred-in-film-its-alive-and-on-tvs-the-young-and-the-restless-was-82-1235455823/

Other News

‘Rust’ Trial Set For December Start; Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Pleads
Not Guilty ­ Update (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/rust-armorer-loses-bid-to-have-charges-dismissed-1235452473/

Helen Hunt, Beau Bridges & Julia Rehwald To Star In Sci-Fi Podcast
‘Alethea’ For Audible From Fresh Produce (August 9)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/helen-hunt-beau-bridges-julia-rehwald-podcast-alethea-audible-1235456558/

‘Jeopardy!’ EP Michael Davies Reveals “Changed” Season 40 Plans (August 7)

https://deadline.com/2023/08/jeopardy-michael-davies-reveals-changed-season-40-plans-1235456453/

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<fq7edi1irs9rud8ksmtih6f6lju7qdh2fl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198145&group=rec.arts.tv#198145

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 02:16:04 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 06:16 UTC

On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:34:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>

> CBS news
>

>‘Big Brother’ Houseguest Luke Valentine Ousted After Dropping N-Word: “Zero
>Tolerance For Using Racial Slur” (August 9)
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/08/big-brother-luke-valentine-n-word-1235458665/

Hmm, I'm a bit surprised they would be so quick to drop the guy when
they are monitoring the HGs 24x7 so they are bound to pick up things
the HGs wouldn't normally worry about them hearing.

>‘FBI: Most Wanted’: Alexa Davalos Not Returning For Season 5 Of CBS Drama
>(August 8)
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/08/fbi-most-wanted-alexa-davalos-exit-kristin-gaines-not-returning-season-5-cbs-1235457078/

Well that's a sad state of affairs. Especially given there was no hint
she was leaving and it doesn't appear to be her choice. I wonder if
this was a means of saving money?

> CW news
>

>‘The Swarm’ Gets New Premiere Date On The CW (August 10)
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-swarm-new-premiere-date-the-cw-1235459651/

Are they trying to avoid some other show/event that week. After all
they are only shifting the premiere by one week.

>‘The Continental’: Colin Woodell’s Winston Scott Dives Into The Criminal
>Underbelly Of New York City In Trailer For Peacock Series (August 9)
>
>https://deadline.com/video/the-continental-trailer-john-wick-prequel-colin-woodell-winston-scott-mel-gibson-peacock/

I hope this turns out well as it will likely be the last we see of
this world if it doesn't

>‘The Changeling’ Trailer: LaKeith Stanfield Embarks On Death-Defying
>Odyssey Through NYC In Apple TV+’s Horror Fantasy Drama Series (August 8)
>
>https://deadline.com/video/the-changeling-trailer-lakeith-stanfield-apple-tv-plus-horror/

>Charlie Ergen’s Dish Network & EchoStar To Merge, Combining Satellite,
>Broadband In All-Stock Deal (August 8)
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/08/charlie-ergen-dish-network-echostar-merger-satellite-broadband-1235457478/

Hmm, I hadn't realized they had spun off EchoStar back in 2008.

>Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
>With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
>Boosted Viewing (August 7)
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/08/paramount-ceo-bob-bakish-streaming-bundle-third-parties-paramount-showtime-boosts-viewing-1235456846/

All in an effort to try and make these streaming services worth
keeping, but it's likely to fail. As all the really valuable content
is already available on one streaming service or another so people can
binge watch what they want and then drop one service for another. No
need to stay a Netflix or Disney+ customer year round if they don't
have anything new you desperately want to watch.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<280036100.713515247.179181.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198148&group=rec.arts.tv#198148

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 23:48:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 06:48 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>

> CBS news
>

> ‘Big Brother’ Houseguest Luke Valentine Ousted After Dropping N-Word: “Zero
> Tolerance For Using Racial Slur” (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/big-brother-luke-valentine-n-word-1235458665/

So somebody I’ve never heard of on a show I’ve never watched, started to
say something, but caught himself and didn’t and lost his gig anyway.

> CW news

The C dub must die

> Fox news

> Cable channel news
>

> ‘Power Book IV: Force’ Season 2 Trailer: Tommy Egan Is Ready For War With
> The Chicago Drug World ­ Update [Starz] (August 10)

Nobody gets stars! Except on Mars.

> Streaming service news
>

> ‘The Fall Of The House Of Usher’ Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look
> Photos (August 10)

Maybe

> Ratings

> The business of TV
>

> Disney Hiking Prices Of Ad-Free Disney+ And Hulu And Rolling Out Bundle Of
> The Two; Will Expand Disney+ With Ads To UK, Canada And Europe In November
> (August 9)

They can hike the price all they want as long as it remains free

> Strike Impact On The CW “Won’t Hurt Our Forward Progress,” Nexstar CEO
> Perry Sook Says: “We Kind Of Like Our Chances In This Chaotic Environment”
> (August 8)

“Forward progress“
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

> Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
> With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
> Boosted Viewing (August 7)

As long as it’s free

> Obituaries
>

> Sharon Farrell Dies: Actress Who Starred In Film ‘It’s Alive’ And On TV’s
> ‘The Young And The Restless’ Was 82 (August 5)

:(

> Other News

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<ub7buq$188oq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198150&group=rec.arts.tv#198150

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:22:02 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 07:22 UTC

On 8/11/23 11:16 PM, shawn wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:34:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>>

>> CBS news
>>

>> ‘FBI: Most Wanted’: Alexa Davalos Not Returning For Season 5 Of CBS Drama
>> (August 8)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/fbi-most-wanted-alexa-davalos-exit-kristin-gaines-not-returning-season-5-cbs-1235457078/
>
> Well that's a sad state of affairs. Especially given there was no hint
> she was leaving and it doesn't appear to be her choice. I wonder if
> this was a means of saving money?

Shawn, as a "fun" exercise, go back and count how many "main" cast
members this show has lost over just 4 seasons.

Clearly, there is something wrong with Dick Wolf shows in general, and
specifically with *this show*, when you consider how many cast members
have departed from it.

And the f*cked up thing here is it sounds like Davalos didn't really
want to leave!!

Well, this kills any chance that I'd want to watch this show - first
they lose McMahon, and now Davalos...

>> ‘The Continental’: Colin Woodell’s Winston Scott Dives Into The Criminal
>> Underbelly Of New York City In Trailer For Peacock Series (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/video/the-continental-trailer-john-wick-prequel-colin-woodell-winston-scott-mel-gibson-peacock/
>
> I hope this turns out well as it will likely be the last we see of
> this world if it doesn't

Hard to say - I could still see them doing non-John Wick movies even if
this series tanks.

Personally, I will check it out...

>> Charlie Ergen’s Dish Network & EchoStar To Merge, Combining Satellite,
>> Broadband In All-Stock Deal (August 8)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/charlie-ergen-dish-network-echostar-merger-satellite-broadband-1235457478/
>
> Hmm, I hadn't realized they had spun off EchoStar back in 2008.

I didn't realize it still existed!!

>> Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
>> With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
>> Boosted Viewing (August 7)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/paramount-ceo-bob-bakish-streaming-bundle-third-parties-paramount-showtime-boosts-viewing-1235456846/

FUCK Paramount!!

> All in an effort to try and make these streaming services worth
> keeping, but it's likely to fail. As all the really valuable content
> is already available on one streaming service or another so people can
> binge watch what they want and then drop one service for another. No
> need to stay a Netflix or Disney+ customer year round if they don't
> have anything new you desperately want to watch.

Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
1-2 year contracts, IMO...

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<ecfedilsin5dnpmaoemfg1r4ktgh7er6g2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198153&group=rec.arts.tv#198153

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 04:13:11 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:13 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:22:02 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 8/11/23 11:16 PM, shawn wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:34:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>>>

>>> CBS news
>>>

>>> ‘FBI: Most Wanted’: Alexa Davalos Not Returning For Season 5 Of CBS Drama
>>> (August 8)
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/fbi-most-wanted-alexa-davalos-exit-kristin-gaines-not-returning-season-5-cbs-1235457078/
>>
>> Well that's a sad state of affairs. Especially given there was no hint
>> she was leaving and it doesn't appear to be her choice. I wonder if
>> this was a means of saving money?
>
>Shawn, as a "fun" exercise, go back and count how many "main" cast
>members this show has lost over just 4 seasons.
>
>Clearly, there is something wrong with Dick Wolf shows in general, and
>specifically with *this show*, when you consider how many cast members
>have departed from it.

I don't know that it's Dick Wolf shows in general as the ones that I
watch tend to keep the same people around. This show has some issues
that likely stem from the show runner. Either that person likes to see
a constant churn in the cast or is doing or allowing something to
happen that leads to people leaving the show.

>And the f*cked up thing here is it sounds like Davalos didn't really
>want to leave!!

Agreed. I can't see how this is going to be a positive thing for the
show but I'll give it a chance since I'm already watching it.

>Well, this kills any chance that I'd want to watch this show - first
>they lose McMahon, and now Davalos...
>

>>> ‘The Continental’: Colin Woodell’s Winston Scott Dives Into The Criminal
>>> Underbelly Of New York City In Trailer For Peacock Series (August 9)
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/video/the-continental-trailer-john-wick-prequel-colin-woodell-winston-scott-mel-gibson-peacock/
>>
>> I hope this turns out well as it will likely be the last we see of
>> this world if it doesn't
>
>Hard to say - I could still see them doing non-John Wick movies even if
>this series tanks.

It's going to be harder to sell a movie in this world without John
Wick in it.

>Personally, I will check it out...
>
>>> Charlie Ergen’s Dish Network & EchoStar To Merge, Combining Satellite,
>>> Broadband In All-Stock Deal (August 8)
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/charlie-ergen-dish-network-echostar-merger-satellite-broadband-1235457478/
>>
>> Hmm, I hadn't realized they had spun off EchoStar back in 2008.
>
>I didn't realize it still existed!!

I didn't either since I never hear about it. I hadn't realized it
bought Hughes Network, but then I don't really follow that side of the
business. Just aware that it exists since Viasat is nearby.

>>> Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
>>> With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
>>> Boosted Viewing (August 7)
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/paramount-ceo-bob-bakish-streaming-bundle-third-parties-paramount-showtime-boosts-viewing-1235456846/
>
>FUCK Paramount!!
>
>> All in an effort to try and make these streaming services worth
>> keeping, but it's likely to fail. As all the really valuable content
>> is already available on one streaming service or another so people can
>> binge watch what they want and then drop one service for another. No
>> need to stay a Netflix or Disney+ customer year round if they don't
>> have anything new you desperately want to watch.
>
>Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
>1-2 year contracts, IMO...

I can see them trying it, but I'm not sure people will buy into it.
Sure, Disney+ might succeed because they do have a lot of movies
people like and those with young kids might get continual use out of
it, but who needs Paramount+ for a year?

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<447381482.713530011.744107.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198160&group=rec.arts.tv#198160

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 03:50:20 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 10:50 UTC

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:22:02 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/11/23 11:16 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> Well that's a sad state of affairs. Especially given there was no hint
>>> she was leaving and it doesn't appear to be her choice. I wonder if
>>> this was a means of saving money?
>>
>> Shawn, as a "fun" exercise, go back and count how many "main" cast
>> members this show has lost over just 4 seasons.
>>
>> Clearly, there is something wrong with Dick Wolf shows in general, and
>> specifically with *this show*, when you consider how many cast members
>> have departed from it.
>

> I don't know that it's Dick Wolf shows in general as the ones that I
> watch tend to keep the same people around. This show has some issues
> that likely stem from the show runner. Either that person likes to see
> a constant churn in the cast or is doing or allowing something to
> happen that leads to people leaving the show.
>
>> And the f*cked up thing here is it sounds like Davalos didn't really
>> want to leave!!
>
> Agreed. I can't see how this is going to be a positive thing for the
> show but I'll give it a chance since I'm already watching it.
>
>> Well, this kills any chance that I'd want to watch this show - first
>> they lose McMahon, and now Davalos...

>>> I hope this turns out well as it will likely be the last we see of
>>> this world if it doesn't
>>
>> Hard to say - I could still see them doing non-John Wick movies even if
>> this series tanks.
>
> It's going to be harder to sell a movie in this world without John
> Wick in it.
>
>> Personally, I will check it out...

>>> Hmm, I hadn't realized they had spun off EchoStar back in 2008.
>>
>> I didn't realize it still existed!!
>
> I didn't either since I never hear about it. I hadn't realized it
> bought Hughes Network, but then I don't really follow that side of the
> business. Just aware that it exists since Viasat is nearby.

>> FUCK Paramount!!
>>
>>> All in an effort to try and make these streaming services worth
>>> keeping, but it's likely to fail. As all the really valuable content
>>> is already available on one streaming service or another so people can
>>> binge watch what they want and then drop one service for another. No
>>> need to stay a Netflix or Disney+ customer year round if they don't
>>> have anything new you desperately want to watch.
>>
>> Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
>> 1-2 year contracts, IMO...
>
> I can see them trying it, but I'm not sure people will buy into it.
> Sure, Disney+ might succeed because they do have a lot of movies
> people like and those with young kids might get continual use out of
> it, but who needs Paramount+ for a year?

I initially signed up for Disney+ for a year because it was a reasonable
price and they promised me all sorts of shows and it all turned out to be a
lie. At the end of the year when they wanted some thing like a 50% increase
to stay with it. I dropped it the minute I could.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<ub88et$1c7dr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198168&group=rec.arts.tv#198168

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:28:29 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 15:28 UTC

On 8/11/23 9:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>

> CBS news
>

> ‘FBI: Most Wanted’: Alexa Davalos Not Returning For Season 5 Of CBS Drama
> (August 8)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/fbi-most-wanted-alexa-davalos-exit-kristin-gaines-not-returning-season-5-cbs-1235457078/

See my followup to shawn on this... >:/

> CW news
>

> ‘The Swarm’ Gets New Premiere Date On The CW (August 10)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-swarm-new-premiere-date-the-cw-1235459651/

I only watch this if I'm real, real bored!...

> Streaming service news
>

> ‘The Fall Of The House Of Usher’ Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look
> Photos (August 10)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235459118/

Also a "maybe"...

> ‘Virgin River’ Sets Season 5 Premiere Date & Holiday Special; Trailer,
> Images & Logline Provide Plot Clues ­ Update [Netflix] (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/virgin-river-season-5-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235447732/

I never got through season #3!!

> ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ Teaser Trailer: First Look At David Oyelowo As The
> Legendary U.S. Deputy Marshal; Photos [Paramount+] (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/lawmen-bass-reeves-trailer-first-look-david-oyelowo-photos-1235458501/

Fuck Paramount!

> ‘The Continental’: Colin Woodell’s Winston Scott Dives Into The Criminal
> Underbelly Of New York City In Trailer For Peacock Series (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/video/the-continental-trailer-john-wick-prequel-colin-woodell-winston-scott-mel-gibson-peacock/

Will watch.

> Ratings
>

> ‘Suits’ Continues To Dominate Nielsen Streaming Top 10; ‘Bluey’ Records
> First Billion-Minute Week (August 10)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/nielsen-streaming-ratings-suits-netflix-peacock-bluey-the-summer-i-turned-pretty-1235459890/

[roll]

> The business of TV
>

> Bob Iger On Linear Television, ESPN And Disney’s Streaming Pivot: “Thinking
> Expansively And Considering A Variety Of Strategic Options” (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/bob-iger-disney-espn-cord-cutting-streaming-1235459306/

If Disney unloads ABC (etc.), who takes it?...

> Disney Hiking Prices Of Ad-Free Disney+ And Hulu And Rolling Out Bundle Of
> The Two; Will Expand Disney+ With Ads To UK, Canada And Europe In November
> (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-plus-hiking-prices-hulu-bundle-expands-advertising-uk-canada-europe-1235458744/

Yes, the most *outrageous* price hikes from any streamer, *ever*. >:/

> Strike Impact On The CW “Won’t Hurt Our Forward Progress,” Nexstar CEO
> Perry Sook Says: “We Kind Of Like Our Chances In This Chaotic Environment”
> (August 8)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-cw-looking-like-fox-nexstar-ceo-perry-sook-sports-wga-sag-strike-1235457318/

Agree with Anim - this LOL!!

> Disney Sports And Streaming Gains Help Company’s Upfront Sales Return To
> Last Year’s Revenue And Volume Levels (August 8)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-sports-streaming-gains-help-upfront-return-to-2022-revenue-volume-levels-1235457725/

And, yet, ESPN continues to go into the tank, with no solution proffered...

> Lachlan Murdoch Sees Pay-TV Driving Value Of Fox Sports “For A Long Time To
> Come” (August 8)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/fox-sports-lachlan-murdoch-pay-tv-espn-disney-bob-iger-1235457272/

Whistling past the graveyard?....

> Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
> With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
> Boosted Viewing (August 7)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/paramount-ceo-bob-bakish-streaming-bundle-third-parties-paramount-showtime-boosts-viewing-1235456846/

PUCK YOU Paramount!!

> Other News
>

> ‘Rust’ Trial Set For December Start; Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Pleads
> Not Guilty ­Update (August 9)
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/rust-armorer-loses-bid-to-have-charges-dismissed-1235452473/

When are they going after that murderer Alec Baldwin??!!!!

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<ub8b7o$1dsog$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198175&group=rec.arts.tv#198175

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:15:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:15 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 8/11/23 9:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>TV news for August 5-11, 2023

>> CW news

>>'The Swarm' Gets New Premiere Date On The CW (August 10)

>>https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-swarm-new-premiere-date-the-cw-1235459651/

>I only watch this if I'm real, real bored!...

But if you're already watching the C-Wub, which must die, you are
already real real bored, which makes you so bored that you would watch
a boring show on the C-Wub, which makes you so bored that you would
watch a boring show on the C-Wub, ad infinitum.

>> Streaming service news

>>'The Fall Of The House Of Usher' Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look
>>Photos (August 10)

>>https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235459118/

>Also a "maybe"...

A modern take on Edgar Allen Poe produced by people who have never read
Poe but what they know about Poe, they despise.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<atropos-192A13.11252412082023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198194&group=rec.arts.tv#198194

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 11:25:24 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 18:25 UTC

In article
<2001133430.713507568.643382.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> TV news for August 5-11, 2023

> FBI: MOST WANTED: Alexa Davalos not Returning for Season 5 of CBS Drama
> (August 8)

This is kind of good news. I generally like Alexa, but her character on this show is such a dour, mopey sad sack that it'll be nice to have someone different.

> THE CONTINENTAL: Colin Woodell's Winston Scott Dives into the Criminal
> Underbelly of New York City in Trailer for Peacock Series (August 9)

In the Wick-verse, the criminal world is hardly an underbelly. It's a prominent, in-your-face, unhidden overbelly. Despite the massive public gunfights, slaughter, car chases, etc.,
have we ever seen even one cop in all of the WICK movies?

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<236349755.713559778.754201.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198197&group=rec.arts.tv#198197

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:27 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 8/11/23 9:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>
>>> CW news
>
>>> 'The Swarm' Gets New Premiere Date On The CW (August 10)
>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-swarm-new-premiere-date-the-cw-1235459651/
>
>> I only watch this if I'm real, real bored!...
>
> But if you're already watching the C-Wub, which must die, you are
> already real real bored, which makes you so bored that you would watch
> a boring show on the C-Wub, which makes you so bored that you would
> watch a boring show on the C-Wub, ad infinitum.
>
>>> Streaming service news
>
>>> 'The Fall Of The House Of Usher' Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look
>>> Photos (August 10)
>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235459118/
>
>> Also a "maybe"...
>
> A modern take on Edgar Allen Poe produced by people who have never read
> Poe but what they know about Poe, they despise.

Likely, although the fact that Poe was a beloved figure in ALTERED CARBON
gives me some hope…

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<1633068982.713559842.005785.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198198&group=rec.arts.tv#198198

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:27 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/11/23 9:34 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>>

>> CBS news
>>

>> ‘FBI: Most Wanted’: Alexa Davalos Not Returning For Season 5 Of CBS Drama
>> (August 8)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/fbi-most-wanted-alexa-davalos-exit-kristin-gaines-not-returning-season-5-cbs-1235457078/
>
> See my followup to shawn on this... >:/
>
>> CW news
>>

>> ‘The Swarm’ Gets New Premiere Date On The CW (August 10)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-swarm-new-premiere-date-the-cw-1235459651/
>
> I only watch this if I'm real, real bored!...

May you never be that bored

>> Streaming service news
>>

>> ‘The Fall Of The House Of Usher’ Gets Premiere Date On Netflix; First-Look
>> Photos (August 10)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235459118/
>
> Also a "maybe"...
>
>> ‘Virgin River’ Sets Season 5 Premiere Date & Holiday Special; Trailer,
>> Images & Logline Provide Plot Clues ­ Update [Netflix] (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/virgin-river-season-5-premiere-date-netflix-photos-1235447732/
>
> I never got through season #3!!

I never watched any of it

>> ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ Teaser Trailer: First Look At David Oyelowo As The
>> Legendary U.S. Deputy Marshal; Photos [Paramount+] (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/lawmen-bass-reeves-trailer-first-look-david-oyelowo-photos-1235458501/
>
> Fuck Paramount!

I am bored with Bass Reeves. No offense to him, but somebody discovered him
around the time of that last lousy time travel show and suddenly he was
just everywhere.

>> ‘The Continental’: Colin Woodell’s Winston Scott Dives Into The Criminal
>> Underbelly Of New York City In Trailer For Peacock Series (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/video/the-continental-trailer-john-wick-prequel-colin-woodell-winston-scott-mel-gibson-peacock/
>
> Will watch.
>

>> Ratings
>>

>> ‘Suits’ Continues To Dominate Nielsen Streaming Top 10; ‘Bluey’ Records
>> First Billion-Minute Week (August 10)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/nielsen-streaming-ratings-suits-netflix-peacock-bluey-the-summer-i-turned-pretty-1235459890/
>
> [roll]
>

>> The business of TV
>>

>> Bob Iger On Linear Television, ESPN And Disney’s Streaming Pivot: “Thinking
>> Expansively And Considering A Variety Of Strategic Options” (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/bob-iger-disney-espn-cord-cutting-streaming-1235459306/
>
> If Disney unloads ABC (etc.), who takes it?...

Do we really care? I took ABC off my channel lineup years ago.

>> Disney Hiking Prices Of Ad-Free Disney+ And Hulu And Rolling Out Bundle Of
>> The Two; Will Expand Disney+ With Ads To UK, Canada And Europe In November
>> (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-plus-hiking-prices-hulu-bundle-expands-advertising-uk-canada-europe-1235458744/
>
> Yes, the most *outrageous* price hikes from any streamer, *ever*. >:/

Free is free

>> Strike Impact On The CW “Won’t Hurt Our Forward Progress,” Nexstar CEO
>> Perry Sook Says: “We Kind Of Like Our Chances In This Chaotic Environment”
>> (August 8)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-cw-looking-like-fox-nexstar-ceo-perry-sook-sports-wga-sag-strike-1235457318/
>
> Agree with Anim - this LOL!!

:)

>> Disney Sports And Streaming Gains Help Company’s Upfront Sales Return To
>> Last Year’s Revenue And Volume Levels (August 8)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-sports-streaming-gains-help-upfront-return-to-2022-revenue-volume-levels-1235457725/
>
> And, yet, ESPN continues to go into the tank, with no solution proffered...

Cox cable finally changed the label on that $10 a month they charge me from
“ESPN“ to “sports“

>> Lachlan Murdoch Sees Pay-TV Driving Value Of Fox Sports “For A Long Time To
>> Come” (August 8)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/fox-sports-lachlan-murdoch-pay-tv-espn-disney-bob-iger-1235457272/
>
> Whistling past the graveyard?....
>
>> Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly
>> With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime
>> Boosted Viewing (August 7)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/paramount-ceo-bob-bakish-streaming-bundle-third-parties-paramount-showtime-boosts-viewing-1235456846/
>
> PUCK YOU Paramount!!

As long as it’s free

>> Other News
>>

>> ‘Rust’ Trial Set For December Start; Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Pleads
>> Not Guilty ­Update (August 9)
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/rust-armorer-loses-bid-to-have-charges-dismissed-1235452473/
>
> When are they going after that murderer Alec Baldwin??!!!!

Yeah, I forgot to post that. Thank you.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<1888167.713560526.824814.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198199&group=rec.arts.tv#198199

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:27 UTC

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:22:02 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/11/23 11:16 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> Well that's a sad state of affairs. Especially given there was no hint
>>> she was leaving and it doesn't appear to be her choice. I wonder if
>>> this was a means of saving money?
>>
>> Shawn, as a "fun" exercise, go back and count how many "main" cast
>> members this show has lost over just 4 seasons.
>>
>> Clearly, there is something wrong with Dick Wolf shows in general, and
>> specifically with *this show*, when you consider how many cast members
>> have departed from it.
>

> I don't know that it's Dick Wolf shows in general as the ones that I
> watch tend to keep the same people around. This show has some issues
> that likely stem from the show runner. Either that person likes to see
> a constant churn in the cast or is doing or allowing something to
> happen that leads to people leaving the show.
>
>> And the f*cked up thing here is it sounds like Davalos didn't really
>> want to leave!!
>
> Agreed. I can't see how this is going to be a positive thing for the
> show but I'll give it a chance since I'm already watching it.
>
>> Well, this kills any chance that I'd want to watch this show - first
>> they lose McMahon, and now Davalos...

>>> I hope this turns out well as it will likely be the last we see of
>>> this world if it doesn't
>>
>> Hard to say - I could still see them doing non-John Wick movies even if
>> this series tanks.
>
> It's going to be harder to sell a movie in this world without John
> Wick in it.
>
>> Personally, I will check it out...

>>> Hmm, I hadn't realized they had spun off EchoStar back in 2008.
>>
>> I didn't realize it still existed!!
>
> I didn't either since I never hear about it. I hadn't realized it
> bought Hughes Network, but then I don't really follow that side of the
> business. Just aware that it exists since Viasat is nearby.

>> FUCK Paramount!!
>>
>>> All in an effort to try and make these streaming services worth
>>> keeping, but it's likely to fail. As all the really valuable content
>>> is already available on one streaming service or another so people can
>>> binge watch what they want and then drop one service for another. No
>>> need to stay a Netflix or Disney+ customer year round if they don't
>>> have anything new you desperately want to watch.
>>
>> Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
>> 1-2 year contracts, IMO...
>
> I can see them trying it, but I'm not sure people will buy into it.
> Sure, Disney+ might succeed because they do have a lot of movies
> people like and those with young kids might get continual use out of
> it, but who needs Paramount+ for a year?

People who mistakenly think this crap they pass off as Star Trek isn’t crap
and want to watch the episodes as they come out.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<1669651711.713560618.140277.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198200&group=rec.arts.tv#198200

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:27 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/11/23 11:16 PM, shawn wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:34:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>>>

> Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
> 1-2 year contracts, IMO...

Cox who’s advertising is consistently so blatantly false I don’t understand
why the FTC doesn’t call in an airstrike, routinely says that unlike
everybody else they don’t require multi year contracts.

Now, I don’t understand why Cox is advertising at all. It’s not like
there’s an option. Much less why they feel the need to lie about
everything.

But does everybody else actually require multiyear contracts for cable TV?

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<25rfdipljk9lgh9bo5ctr9n02s769jubj5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198220&group=rec.arts.tv#198220

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 16:36:39 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:36 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 11:25:24 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>In article
><2001133430.713507568.643382.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>
>> FBI: MOST WANTED: Alexa Davalos not Returning for Season 5 of CBS Drama
>> (August 8)
>
>This is kind of good news. I generally like Alexa, but her character on this show is such a dour, mopey sad sack that it'll be nice to have someone different.
>
>> THE CONTINENTAL: Colin Woodell's Winston Scott Dives into the Criminal
>> Underbelly of New York City in Trailer for Peacock Series (August 9)
>
>In the Wick-verse, the criminal world is hardly an underbelly. It's a prominent, in-your-face, unhidden overbelly. Despite the massive public gunfights, slaughter, car chases, etc.,
>have we ever seen even one cop in all of the WICK movies?

Yes, in the first movie a cop comes to Wick's home after a noise
complaint. He sees the aftermath of Wick's dinner party, they have a
few words (and are on a first name basis) and then he leaves Wick to
clean up. Other than that officer I don't think we ever saw a single
cop or cop car.

Which leaves me to wonder what the people who are just normal citizens
think of all the violence? Is it just accepted as part of their
existence the way it seems people in the superhero world accept
buildings being destroyed and people being killed as normal.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<qbrfdi1ahvanb3a4ar0rpr2e8gngpfo73t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198226&group=rec.arts.tv#198226

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 17:15:52 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:15 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:58 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 8/11/23 11:16 PM, shawn wrote:

>> Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
>> 1-2 year contracts, IMO...
>
>Cox who’s advertising is consistently so blatantly false I don’t understand
>why the FTC doesn’t call in an airstrike, routinely says that unlike
>everybody else they don’t require multi year contracts.
>
>Now, I don’t understand why Cox is advertising at all. It’s not like
>there’s an option. Much less why they feel the need to lie about
>everything.
>
>But does everybody else actually require multiyear contracts for cable TV?

Just checked the Comcast site and they offered 10+ channels at
$20/month, 125+ channels at $60 and 180+ channels at $80/month with no
contract. Of course the price is a complete lie as they also list that
there is a $27.80/month broadcast fee (28 dollars!!!!) and for the
125/180 channel packages there is also a $13.40/month regional sports
fee. For the TV service there's also an additional $10 month for each
X1 TV box. So even the 10 channel package costs $20/month + $27.80
+$10 so its a grand total $57.80/month but at least you can cancel
when ever you like. I choose to cancel before ordering.

Now the Internet service does require either a 12 month or 24 month
contract. I don't see them listing a monthly price for the equipment
but that was something they always included so I would be surprised if
they stopped doing that. Yep, there is extra equipment required. For
the Internet service they are allowing a 2 year use of their basic
Internet modem for $0. Going for the unlimited data or Wifi requires
extra cost.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<ub938p$1hgd0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198239&group=rec.arts.tv#198239

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:05:59 -0400
 by: FPP - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:05 UTC

On 8/12/23 2:25 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article
> <2001133430.713507568.643382.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>
>> FBI: MOST WANTED: Alexa Davalos not Returning for Season 5 of CBS Drama
>> (August 8)
>
> This is kind of good news. I generally like Alexa, but her character on this show is such a dour, mopey sad sack that it'll be nice to have someone different.
>
>> THE CONTINENTAL: Colin Woodell's Winston Scott Dives into the Criminal
>> Underbelly of New York City in Trailer for Peacock Series (August 9)
>
> In the Wick-verse, the criminal world is hardly an underbelly. It's a prominent, in-your-face, unhidden overbelly. Despite the massive public gunfights, slaughter, car chases, etc.,
> have we ever seen even one cop in all of the WICK movies?

Yes. In the first movie, in fact.
"Jimmy" - for a "noise complaint'. And he had lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8_1PIolnY&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo
--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<121803766.713585791.983075.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198254&group=rec.arts.tv#198254

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:44:43 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 02:44 UTC

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:27:58 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Which is why the streamers are likely only months away from requiring
>>> 1-2 year contracts, IMO...
>>
>> Cox who’s advertising is consistently so blatantly false I don’t understand
>> why the FTC doesn’t call in an airstrike, routinely says that unlike
>> everybody else they don’t require multi year contracts.
>>
>> Now, I don’t understand why Cox is advertising at all. It’s not like
>> there’s an option. Much less why they feel the need to lie about
>> everything.
>>
>> But does everybody else actually require multiyear contracts for cable TV?
>

> Just checked the Comcast site and they offered 10+ channels at
> $20/month, 125+ channels at $60 and 180+ channels at $80/month with no
> contract. Of course the price is a complete lie as they also list that
> there is a $27.80/month broadcast fee (28 dollars!!!!) and for the
> 125/180 channel packages there is also a $13.40/month regional sports
> fee. For the TV service there's also an additional $10 month for each
> X1 TV box. So even the 10 channel package costs $20/month + $27.80
> +$10 so its a grand total $57.80/month but at least you can cancel
> when ever you like. I choose to cancel before ordering.
>

> Now the Internet service does require either a 12 month or 24 month
> contract. I don't see them listing a monthly price for the equipment
> but that was something they always included so I would be surprised if
> they stopped doing that. Yep, there is extra equipment required. For
> the Internet service they are allowing a 2 year use of their basic
> Internet modem for $0. Going for the unlimited data or Wifi requires
> extra cost.

Up until very recently Cox wouldn’t let you get TV or Interweb separately.
It was always bundles.

They are currently charging me:

Ultimate Internet $89.99
Note: this is a higher level of service than I get from them but they won’t
let me go back down in price or fix it so that I get the service again.

Contour TV.
Starter service, preferred service, advanced service, program guide.
$103.50

DVR (this is apparently the DVR service and not the physical box.)
$13.50.

Cox service protection plan (which they insist I don’t actually have which
is why they’re going to charge me $75 to come out and see why I’m not
getting the level of service I am paying for)
$10.

Contour box (this is apparently the physical DVR)
$8.50

Broadcast surcharge (who knows what the hell that is)
$22.

Regional sports surcharge (that’s ESPN, whether I want it or not.).
$10

Total TV
$167.50

Total monthly (for middle to low end service level)
$257.49
Taxes, fees and surcharges.
$8.48.
Total
$265.97

They no longer allow me to see what upgrade services or anything else is
available or costs. The only Avenue to check that now is to chat with a
sales person. That should really be illegal.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<ub9tud$1nue3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198271&group=rec.arts.tv#198271

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:41:20 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 06:41 UTC

It almost certainly is illegal.

dirty old man.

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<u7chdiloj7gm2p979nn339cv1ikk1s627k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198276&group=rec.arts.tv#198276

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 06:55:45 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:55 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:41:20 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 8/12/2023 7:44 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Just checked the Comcast site and they offered 10+ channels at
>>> $20/month, 125+ channels at $60 and 180+ channels at $80/month with no
>>> contract. Of course the price is a complete lie as they also list that
>>> there is a $27.80/month broadcast fee (28 dollars!!!!) and for the
>>> 125/180 channel packages there is also a $13.40/month regional sports
>>> fee. For the TV service there's also an additional $10 month for each
>>> X1 TV box. So even the 10 channel package costs $20/month + $27.80
>>> +$10 so its a grand total $57.80/month but at least you can cancel
>>> when ever you like. I choose to cancel before ordering.
>>>

>>> Now the Internet service does require either a 12 month or 24 month
>>> contract. I don't see them listing a monthly price for the equipment
>>> but that was something they always included so I would be surprised if
>>> they stopped doing that. Yep, there is extra equipment required. For
>>> the Internet service they are allowing a 2 year use of their basic
>>> Internet modem for $0. Going for the unlimited data or Wifi requires
>>> extra cost.
>>>

>> Up until very recently Cox wouldn’t let you get TV or Interweb separately.
>> It was always bundles.
>>
>> They are currently charging me:
>>
>> Ultimate Internet $89.99
>> Note: this is a higher level of service than I get from them but they won’t
>> let me go back down in price or fix it so that I get the service again.
>>
>> Contour TV.
>> Starter service, preferred service, advanced service, program guide.
>> $103.50
>>
>> DVR (this is apparently the DVR service and not the physical box.)
>> $13.50.
>>
>> Cox service protection plan (which they insist I don’t actually have which
>> is why they’re going to charge me $75 to come out and see why I’m not
>> getting the level of service I am paying for)
>> $10.
>>
>> Contour box (this is apparently the physical DVR)
>> $8.50
>>
>> Broadcast surcharge (who knows what the hell that is)
>> $22.
>>
>> Regional sports surcharge (that’s ESPN, whether I want it or not.).
>> $10
>>
>> Total TV
>> $167.50
>>
>> Total monthly (for middle to low end service level)
>> $257.49
>> Taxes, fees and surcharges.
>> $8.48.
>> Total
>> $265.97
>>
>> They no longer allow me to see what upgrade services or anything else is
>> available or costs. The only Avenue to check that now is to chat with a
>> sales person. That should really be illegal.
>>
>It almost certainly is illegal.

Just checked for a random address in Phoenix, AZ and they do have both
bundled plans and individual plans As usual they basically copy
Comcast with their plans. Just the pricing/packaging changes. As to
why you don't see the non-bundled packages I don't know. I started
from this web page https://www.cox.com/residential/home.html
and then went Internet, TV & Streaming, Popular bundles. Because I'm
not a Cox customer I can't check on the prices/bundles for an existing
customer but this is what a new customer sees, much like with what
Comcast is showing. Oh, and the Internet for both companies includes
that same 1.2TB of data usage a month before the overage fee kicks in.

For Internet only

100 Mbps $49.99/mo
No annual contract or cancellation fees.

250 Mbps $69.99/mo
INCLUDES Panoramic Wifi equipment for 24 mos.

500 Mbps $45.00/mowith Cox Mobile.

$89.99/mo without Cox Mobile. No annual contract or cancellation fees.
INCLUDES Panoramic Wifi equipment for 24 mos.

Fiber 1 GIG $65.00/mo with Cox Mobile. for 24 mos.
$109.99/mo without Cox Mobile. for 24 mos.

Fiber 2 GIG $105.00/mo with Cox Mobile.
$149.99/mo without Cox Mobile.

Contour TV Starter with 75+ channels
$56.00/mo 75+ local channels

Contour TV Preferred with 140+ channels including ESPN,
$105.00/mo

Contour TV Preferred Plus with 170+ channels including ESPN,
$152.00/mo

Contour TV Ultimate with 250+ channels including Max,
$145.00/mo

Bundled prices

Internet up 100Mbps
Contour Stream Player TV
$55/month

Internet up 250Mbps
Contour Stream Player TV
$75/month

Internet up to 500Mbps
Contour Stream Player TV
$95/month

Internet up 1Gbps
Contour Stream Player TV
$115

Internet up 100Mbps
Contour TV Preferred 140 channels
$155/month

Internet up 1Gbps
Contour TV Preferred 140 channels
$215

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<740179517.713629723.106669.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198280&group=rec.arts.tv#198280

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 07:39:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:39 UTC

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:41:20 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Up until very recently Cox wouldn’t let you get TV or Interweb separately.
>>> It was always bundles.
>>>
>>> They are currently charging me:
>>>
>>> Ultimate Internet $89.99
>>> Note: this is a higher level of service than I get from them but they won’t
>>> let me go back down in price or fix it so that I get the service again.
>>>
>>> Contour TV.
>>> Starter service, preferred service, advanced service, program guide.
>>> $103.50
>>>
>>> DVR (this is apparently the DVR service and not the physical box.)
>>> $13.50.
>>>
>>> Cox service protection plan (which they insist I don’t actually have which
>>> is why they’re going to charge me $75 to come out and see why I’m not
>>> getting the level of service I am paying for)
>>> $10.
>>>
>>> Contour box (this is apparently the physical DVR)
>>> $8.50
>>>
>>> Broadcast surcharge (who knows what the hell that is)
>>> $22.
>>>
>>> Regional sports surcharge (that’s ESPN, whether I want it or not.).
>>> $10
>>>
>>> Total TV
>>> $167.50
>>>
>>> Total monthly (for middle to low end service level)
>>> $257.49
>>> Taxes, fees and surcharges.
>>> $8.48.
>>> Total
>>> $265.97
>>>
>>> They no longer allow me to see what upgrade services or anything else is
>>> available or costs. The only Avenue to check that now is to chat with a
>>> sales person. That should really be illegal.
>>>
>> It almost certainly is illegal.
>

> Just checked for a random address in Phoenix, AZ and they do have both
> bundled plans and individual plans As usual they basically copy
> Comcast with their plans. Just the pricing/packaging changes. As to
> why you don't see the non-bundled packages I don't know.

It’s because I already am a customer. They have existing customers blocked
from seeing anything to change to uphill or downhill. When I logged out, I
was able to find what you’re seeing. Now I hate them even more.

I started
> from this web page https://www.cox.com/residential/home.html
> and then went Internet, TV & Streaming, Popular bundles. Because I'm
> not a Cox customer I can't check on the prices/bundles for an existing
> customer but this is what a new customer sees, much like with what
> Comcast is showing. Oh, and the Internet for both companies includes
> that same 1.2TB of data usage a month before the overage fee kicks in.
>
> For Internet only
>
> 100 Mbps $49.99/mo
> No annual contract or cancellation fees.
>
> 250 Mbps $69.99/mo
> INCLUDES Panoramic Wifi equipment for 24 mos.
>
> 500 Mbps $45.00/mowith Cox Mobile.
>
> $89.99/mo without Cox Mobile. No annual contract or cancellation fees.
> INCLUDES Panoramic Wifi equipment for 24 mos.

Which is what I pay for and the price I pay. However, I don’t have any
panoramic equipment (not that it would do me any good) and I only get the
300 Mbps speed.

> Fiber 1 GIG $65.00/mo with Cox Mobile. for 24 mos.
> $109.99/mo without Cox Mobile. for 24 mos.
>
> Fiber 2 GIG $105.00/mo with Cox Mobile.
> $149.99/mo without Cox Mobile.

Yeah, that one’s new. It also has something like 100 up. Almost everything
else is still stuck with 10 up.

> Contour TV Starter with 75+ channels
> $56.00/mo 75+ local channels
>

> Contour TV Preferred with 140+ channels including ESPN,
> $105.00/mo
>
> Contour TV Preferred Plus with 170+ channels including ESPN,
> $152.00/mo
>
> Contour TV Ultimate with 250+ channels including Max,
> $145.00/mo

I couldn’t find any à la carte, premium channels to add, like HBO.
Everything was in the bundles, and HBO was not in the bundles. How can they
possibly have broken racks with HBO?

Also, what you won’t see there, but the salesman will tell you (although
they may very well be lying) is that they won’t let you have a DVR with any
of the lower packages. I tried to back off my service to save money, but
the first thing that goes is the DVR. I suspect they are getting out of
the DVR business completely. Hence all this “stream player TV“ crap.

> Bundled prices
>
> Internet up 100Mbps
> Contour Stream Player TV
> $55/month
>
> Internet up 250Mbps
> Contour Stream Player TV
> $75/month
>
> Internet up to 500Mbps
> Contour Stream Player TV
> $95/month
>
> Internet up 1Gbps
> Contour Stream Player TV
> $115
>
> Internet up 100Mbps
> Contour TV Preferred 140 channels
> $155/month
>
> Internet up 1Gbps
> Contour TV Preferred 140 channels
> $215

Re: TV news for August 5-11, 2023

<RQ7CM.376682$xMqa.96869@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198295&group=rec.arts.tv#198295

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:49:53 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:49 UTC

On 8/12/23 6:05 PM, FPP wrote:
> On 8/12/23 2:25 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> In article
>> <2001133430.713507568.643382.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>>   anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> TV news for August 5-11, 2023
>>
>>> FBI: MOST WANTED: Alexa Davalos not Returning for Season 5 of CBS Drama
>>> (August 8)
>>
>> This is kind of good news. I generally like Alexa, but her character
>> on this show is such a dour, mopey sad sack that it'll be nice to have
>> someone different.
>>
>>> THE CONTINENTAL: Colin Woodell's Winston Scott Dives into the Criminal
>>> Underbelly of New York City in Trailer for Peacock Series  (August 9)
>>
>> In the Wick-verse, the criminal world is hardly an underbelly. It's a
>> prominent, in-your-face, unhidden overbelly. Despite the massive
>> public gunfights, slaughter, car chases, etc.,
>> have we ever seen even one cop in all of the WICK movies?
>>

> Yes.  In the first movie, in fact.
> "Jimmy" - for a "noise complaint'.  And he had lines.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8_1PIolnY&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

Shit, Twat is wrong again? That's the third time this nanosecond.