Most people feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)A Friend
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
 | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
 |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)shawn
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler
    +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)shawn
    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Adam H. Kerman
     +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)BTR1701
     |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
     | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)anim8rfsk
      `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)Dimensional Traveler

Pages:12
What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<UBI20230814@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198513&group=rec.arts.tv#198513

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

Disney Using DRAG to Market Clothes to Little GIRLS! Mickey Mouse to Dylan
Mulvaney: "Hold My Beer"!:
Why is Disney so determined to self-destruct? It looks like Disney just can't
resist the urge to anger its customers and become the next Bud Light, using a
male in drag to sell Disney clothing to little girls! Budweiser made a
massive mistake using a controversial and highly politicized figure to sell
Bud Light to their customers, forever tarnishing their brand. But now Mickey
Mouse has decided to one-up Budweiser, saying in effect to Dylan Mulvaney:
"Hold my Bud Light". Using drag to sell beverages to adults is one thing, but
using drag to target KIDS? In this video, I discuss this latest example of
Disney's insane self-destruction, and analyze EXACTLY why this kind of
marketing is so destructive to their brand, and potentially harmful to their
audience! #disney #budlight #minniemouse
https://youtu.be/GAntpuEjanc

Half in the Bag Episode 143: Demon House:
Boooooo! Mike and Jay discuss Demon House, the paranormal documentary about a
dumpy little house with 100 demons living in it, directed by Zak Bagans from
the Ghost Adventures TV show or whatever.
https://youtu.be/w8elLwSfGEM

Half in the Bag Episode 151: Slender Man:
Oh no! It's Slender Man! How scaaaaaaarrrrryyyy!!!!
https://youtu.be/WXHmIAo61fM

THE SECRETS OF PLAYBOY:
"The Era of the Seven". After a divorce in the late 90s, Hugh Hefner became a
bachelor again, and the era of the seven girlfriends emerged. For some, being
one of the seven girlfriends was a highly coveted position that was as much a
job as it was a relationship. Hef's girlfriends were not only supported by
him, but they were used to publicly promote the Playboy brand during lavish
events and club outings. But being a girlfriend was not all glitz and glam.
The inner-drama that ensued among the girlfriends played out on the public
stage.

HISTORY'S GREATEST MYSTERIES:
"Gardner Museum Robbery". Thieves steal half a billion dollars in
masterpieces from the Gardner Museum in Boston in a well-planned crime. It's
been three decades since the daring robbery... and despite a thorough search,
the stolen products have not been recovered. Who masterminded the largest art
heist in history, and why?

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<2021084237.713798330.039469.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198526&group=rec.arts.tv#198526

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 06:20:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:20 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

OUT OF THE PAST
1947 detective noir with.
Robert Mitchum
Jane Greer
Kirk Douglas
Rhonda Fleming.

How can you go wrong?

On TCM

I didn’t think I had seen this before, but as I watched it all came back to
me like the wet kiss at the end of a hot fist.
It’s definitely worth a watch although try not to think about it too hard
because most of it doesn’t make any more sense than THE BIG SLEEP.

I had casting issues with Jane Greer and Rhonda Fleming, because they look
too much like, but then it turned out that that’s actually a plot point.
And yet it’s nonsense, because neither character was put into motion
because of what they look like they just happen to look alike by a complete
coincidence.

People keep framing each other for murder, but there are way too many
people involved in each frame for it not to unravel!

At one point Robert Mitchum has everything under complete control, and then
we do a transition to the next morning, and everything is the exact
opposite of how we left it the night before and it’s never addressed at all
as to how this thing went South on him!

With the ubiquitous handy cab driver who will drive you around all night
and follow your instructions and is as trustworthy a character as you’ll
find.

STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”

Day 15

Ariel is so stupid that she wears fleece booties with her pant legs tucked
into them to bed to keep germs out.

She spends the entire episode, talking about how great she did last week
(she failed completely), and how she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom
three (she absolutely did) and basically just lying to the camera.

One of the robot dogs runs away.

Paul wants to be base commander. Cat agrees to nominate him if he’ll make
her mission commander.

Ariel wants to be base commander. She nominates herself because no one else
will. The vote goes against her. She bitches about it.

They run the Samsung flip phone ad where the drugged out women murder
people to get the phone away from them at pretty much every ad break.

Adam says the reason he folds sheets every morning is because it makes
other people feel bad.

Ariel and Tanisha are tasked with marking out an enclosure outside for the
new dog. Ariel keeps bitching about robot dogs and lying about doing her
best all the time. All she does here is hold the other end of a tape
measure. We get a clip montage, showing how dishonest and incompetent she
is.

Porsha and Marshawn are tasked with doing an inventory of the food. Portia
says they’ll starve to death within the day. Because she didn’t actually go
in the room where they keep the food.

The robot dog falls in a hole and ends up in the cave system hundreds of
miles beneath the surface.

More than two weeks into the mission. Ariel reads the manual for the first
time.

Tanisha says that because a mars year is longer than an earth year they are
getting younger.

Shat Daddy seems to have the sillies. They have to rescue the runaway dog.
If they fail this mission, the base commander will be eligible to be voted
out as well.

Paul and cat run the rescue mission. Everybody else hops on the Rover. They
only have 30 minutes. And the dog disappeared 10 miles away from the
habitat. Marshawn drives and Paul keeps saying Tinashe’s name wrong. Paul
gives lousy directions. Ariel bitches about everything and lies about her
competency.

With only four minutes left the rover finally reaches the rescue
destination. Ariel can’t even get out of the rover and bitches that they
shouldn’t air that.

The team breaks into two groups. Marshawn and Tanisha drop a flare into the
hole The dog fell through for the other team to follow. The second team
races through the caves to find The flair, and find the dog. Except for
Ariel, who falls on her fat ass, and stays there the rest of the mission.
So I guess effectively they have three groups.

With two seconds to spare Adam and Portia, find the flare and the dog.
Ariel struggles to stand up.

Marshawn and Tanisha do donuts in the rover.

It’s extraction time! They keep saying what a hard choice it is, but I
don’t know why, because Ariel is the only one who did nothing whatsoever
and in fact, they would’ve been better off without her.

Arial, Porsha, and Marshawn are the bottom three!

Porsche defends herself by saying she’s the one who found the flare and the
dog. Interestingly, in the wrapup, Marshawn will say that she’s lying.

Ariel tries to defend herself by bitching and lying, and then suddenly
abruptly, and completely without warning, gives it up and commits Seppuku!

Ariel rips her space suit top open, revealing the third breast she’s grown
from the toxic Martian radiation, and races out onto the Martian surface,
tumbling downhill, and cracking her face plate open!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lCcT2zlxQvg/VwRCAZGfIEI/AAAAAAAACDU/aI7v_7g0-VUZME2wrH5wcpmUMEuSr4OZg/s1600/RecallMelina.gif

Next week: a surprise rescue! Will an earlier player return? Please don’t
let it be Ariel…

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubg3vs$2s647$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198534&group=rec.arts.tv#198534

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 08:01:17 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:01 UTC

On 8/15/2023 6:20 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> OUT OF THE PAST
> 1947 detective noir with.
> Robert Mitchum
> Jane Greer
> Kirk Douglas
> Rhonda Fleming.
>
> How can you go wrong?
>
> On TCM
>
> I didn’t think I had seen this before, but as I watched it all came back to
> me like the wet kiss at the end of a hot fist.
> It’s definitely worth a watch although try not to think about it too hard
> because most of it doesn’t make any more sense than THE BIG SLEEP.
>
> I had casting issues with Jane Greer and Rhonda Fleming, because they look
> too much like, but then it turned out that that’s actually a plot point.
> And yet it’s nonsense, because neither character was put into motion
> because of what they look like they just happen to look alike by a complete
> coincidence.
>
> People keep framing each other for murder, but there are way too many
> people involved in each frame for it not to unravel!
>
> At one point Robert Mitchum has everything under complete control, and then
> we do a transition to the next morning, and everything is the exact
> opposite of how we left it the night before and it’s never addressed at all
> as to how this thing went South on him!
>
> With the ubiquitous handy cab driver who will drive you around all night
> and follow your instructions and is as trustworthy a character as you’ll
> find.
>

> STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”

I'm snipping all that for the sake of everyone else's sanity.

Stargate: SG-1 S9E14 'Stronghold' - DVD
"Teal'c and Master Bra'tac are upset when a member of the Jaffa High
Council, Ka'lel, suddenly changes her vote just hours after assuring
them they had her support. They think she is being duplicitous but in
fact there is something far more sinister at work. When Teal'c fails to
return and misses an important council meeting, Bra'tac turns to the SGC
for help. They soon find that Ba'al has returned. Meanwhile, Mitchell
has pulled some strings to have close a friend and fellow pilot, Bryce
Ferguson, cared for at a hospital that may have the technology to deal
with his aneurysm."

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: How'd you resist the brainwashing? I
figure I might be in that situation some day, and I don't reckon I'm
going through the Rite of M'al Sharran.
Teal'c: To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self
is most important.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Right. Thanks.
[Teal'c leaves]
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Yeah, I'm workin' on it.

Trivia: When Mitchell and Ferguson are playing video games, there is a
pizza box from "DeLuise and Son Pizzeria" with a picture of episode
director Peter DeLuise and his father Dom DeLuise.

Commentary: Director Peter DeLuise and actor Gary Jones. What happened
to them being banned from doing more commentaries together?!?!?!?!
Hmmm, this may have been recorded prior to the one where they told us
they weren't allowed to do anymore. They want to give Ba'al a Jack
Russel Terrier because that would make him even more evil.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubg5km$2serq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198535&group=rec.arts.tv#198535

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 08:29:26 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:29 UTC

On 8/15/23 6:20 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> OUT OF THE PAST
> 1947 detective noir with.
> Robert Mitchum
> Jane Greer
> Kirk Douglas
> Rhonda Fleming.
>
> How can you go wrong?
>
> On TCM

This is a great noir flick. The ending still packs a punch!

> STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”
>
> Day 15
>
> Ariel is so stupid that she wears fleece booties with her pant legs tucked
> into them to bed to keep germs out.
>
> She spends the entire episode, talking about how great she did last week
> (she failed completely), and how she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom
> three (she absolutely did) and basically just lying to the camera.

Dunno if it's an act for the show, but she seems completely deluded.

> One of the robot dogs runs away.

Wouldn't you?!

> Paul wants to be base commander. Cat agrees to nominate him if he’ll make
> her mission commander.
>
> Ariel wants to be base commander. She nominates herself because no one else
> will. The vote goes against her. She bitches about it.

Heh.

> They run the Samsung flip phone ad where the drugged out women murder
> people to get the phone away from them at pretty much every ad break.
>
> Adam says the reason he folds sheets every morning is because it makes
> other people feel bad.

Huh?...

> Ariel and Tanisha are tasked with marking out an enclosure outside for the
> new dog. Ariel keeps bitching about robot dogs and lying about doing her
> best all the time. All she does here is hold the other end of a tape
> measure. We get a clip montage, showing how dishonest and incompetent she
> is.

At least the producers have apparently caught on!

> Porsha and Marshawn are tasked with doing an inventory of the food. Portia
> says they’ll starve to death within the day.

Let's hope she's right! Bless!

> Because she didn’t actually go
> in the room where they keep the food.
>
> The robot dog falls in a hole and ends up in the cave system hundreds of
> miles beneath the surface.

Wait - what?!

> More than two weeks into the mission. Ariel reads the manual for the first
> time.

Omg...

> Tanisha says that because a mars year is longer than an earth year they are
> getting younger.

I like it! Instead of being, say, 30, you're more like 15 or 16!!

> Shat Daddy seems to have the sillies. They have to rescue the runaway dog.
> If they fail this mission, the base commander will be eligible to be voted
> out as well.

Nice!

> Paul and cat run the rescue mission.

I have no idea who these people are...

> Everybody else hops on the Rover. They
> only have 30 minutes. And the dog disappeared 10 miles away from the
> habitat. Marshawn drives and Paul keeps saying Tinashe’s name wrong.

It's "Teh-NAH-shee", right?

> Paul
> gives lousy directions. Ariel bitches about everything and lies about her
> competency.
>
> With only four minutes left the rover finally reaches the rescue
> destination.

So, there's no way they don't fail this time, then?...

> Ariel can’t even get out of the rover and bitches that they
> shouldn’t air that.

Which, of course, they do!!

> The team breaks into two groups. Marshawn and Tanisha drop a flare into the
> hole The dog fell through for the other team to follow. The second team
> races through the caves to find The flair, and find the dog. Except for
> Ariel, who falls on her fat ass, and stays there the rest of the mission.

Seriously?

> So I guess effectively they have three groups.
>
> With two seconds to spare Adam and Portia, find the flare and the dog.

I smell manipulation in the editing room here... >:/

> Ariel struggles to stand up.
>
> Marshawn and Tanisha do donuts in the rover.

Nice!

> It’s extraction time! They keep saying what a hard choice it is, but I
> don’t know why, because Ariel is the only one who did nothing whatsoever
> and in fact, they would’ve been better off without her.
>
> Arial, Porsha, and Marshawn are the bottom three!

Why not Tinashe?

> Porsche defends herself by saying she’s the one who found the flare and the
> dog. Interestingly, in the wrapup, Marshawn will say that she’s lying.
>
> Ariel tries to defend herself by bitching and lying, and then suddenly
> abruptly, and completely without warning, gives it up and commits Seppuku!

For realsies?!!

> Ariel rips her space suit top open, revealing the third breast she’s grown
> from the toxic Martian radiation,

Nice!

> and races out onto the Martian surface,
> tumbling downhill, and cracking her face plate open!
>
> https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lCcT2zlxQvg/VwRCAZGfIEI/AAAAAAAACDU/aI7v_7g0-VUZME2wrH5wcpmUMEuSr4OZg/s1600/RecallMelina.gif

Excellent!!

> Next week: a surprise rescue! Will an earlier player return? Please don’t
> let it be Ariel…

You KNOW it will be!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<1613926660.713809078.154705.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198539&group=rec.arts.tv#198539

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 09:40:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:40 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/15/23 6:20 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> OUT OF THE PAST
>> 1947 detective noir with.
>> Robert Mitchum
>> Jane Greer
>> Kirk Douglas
>> Rhonda Fleming.
>>
>> How can you go wrong?
>>
>> On TCM
>
> This is a great noir flick. The ending still packs a punch!

Yes. And it’s the only time I ever saw Kirk Douglas look tiny!

>> STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”
>>
>> Day 15
>>
>> Ariel is so stupid that she wears fleece booties with her pant legs tucked
>> into them to bed to keep germs out.
>>
>> She spends the entire episode, talking about how great she did last week
>> (she failed completely), and how she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom
>> three (she absolutely did) and basically just lying to the camera.
>
> Dunno if it's an act for the show, but she seems completely deluded.

Yes

>> One of the robot dogs runs away.
>
> Wouldn't you?!

I’d hide in the air vents and kill them one by one like a Samsung flip
phone.

>> Paul wants to be base commander. Cat agrees to nominate him if he’ll make
>> her mission commander.
>>
>> Ariel wants to be base commander. She nominates herself because no one else
>> will. The vote goes against her. She bitches about it.
>
> Heh.

She thinks nobody should be allowed to be a first time mission commander.
Following that line of reasoning, nobody would ever be allowed to be a
Mission commander.

>> They run the Samsung flip phone ad where the drugged out women murder
>> people to get the phone away from them at pretty much every ad break.
>>
>> Adam says the reason he folds sheets every morning is because it makes
>> other people feel bad.
>
> Huh?...

The AI keeps asking him why he goes to all this trouble to fold his sheets
because they’ll just get all unfolded again when he goes to bed. He tells
it it’s to make other people feel bad and it gives up annoying him. Hard to
argue with success.

>> Ariel and Tanisha are tasked with marking out an enclosure outside for the
>> new dog. Ariel keeps bitching about robot dogs and lying about doing her
>> best all the time. All she does here is hold the other end of a tape
>> measure. We get a clip montage, showing how dishonest and incompetent she
>> is.
>
> At least the producers have apparently caught on!

Yes. They were so clearly pointing a target on her that I was sure they
were missed directing us.

>> Porsha and Marshawn are tasked with doing an inventory of the food. Portia
>> says they’ll starve to death within the day.
>
> Let's hope she's right! Bless!
>
>> Because she didn’t actually go
>> in the room where they keep the food.
>>
>> The robot dog falls in a hole and ends up in the cave system hundreds of
>> miles beneath the surface.
>
> Wait - what?!

Well, we never saw it fall. They said it fell in a lava tube and ended up
in the caves. I suppose it might’ve just been 30 or 40 feet. More likely a
stage and give it a lift in the rover. I have grave doubts that those caves
are natural or they wouldn’t have the contestants and the camera crew
running around in them!

>> More than two weeks into the mission. Ariel reads the manual for the first
>> time.
>
> Omg...
>
>> Tanisha says that because a mars year is longer than an earth year they are
>> getting younger.
>
> I like it! Instead of being, say, 30, you're more like 15 or 16!!

And getting younger by the minute. If this goes on long enough, they’ll all
just finish. Yay?

>> Shat Daddy seems to have the sillies. They have to rescue the runaway dog.
>> If they fail this mission, the base commander will be eligible to be voted
>> out as well.
>
> Nice!

Yes. I think they did that because Paul was gloating how he had immunity
this week.

>> Paul and cat run the rescue mission.
>
> I have no idea who these people are...

Paul is some sort of huge ex sports ball player. I don’t know what variety.

Cat is Cat Cora, the first female Iron Chef.

>> Everybody else hops on the Rover. They
>> only have 30 minutes. And the dog disappeared 10 miles away from the
>> habitat. Marshawn drives and Paul keeps saying Tinashe’s name wrong.
>
> It's "Teh-NAH-shee", right?

No, I think that’s what he said that got her mad at him.

Tinashe Jorgensen Kachingwe (/tiːˈnɑːʃeɪ/ tee-NAH-sheh; born February 6,
1993)

She says it more like tee·naa·shay

>> Paul
>> gives lousy directions. Ariel bitches about everything and lies about her
>> competency.
>>
>> With only four minutes left the rover finally reaches the rescue
>> destination.
>
> So, there's no way they don't fail this time, then?...

You would think

>> Ariel can’t even get out of the rover and bitches that they
>> shouldn’t air that.
>
> Which, of course, they do!!

They even aired Marshawn, laughing at her that they shouldn’t air that, and
repeating what she said :-)

>> The team breaks into two groups. Marshawn and Tanisha drop a flare into the
>> hole The dog fell through for the other team to follow. The second team
>> races through the caves to find The flair, and find the dog. Except for
>> Ariel, who falls on her fat ass, and stays there the rest of the mission.
>
> Seriously?

Yes. They went back for her on their way out of the cave.

>> So I guess effectively they have three groups.
>>
>> With two seconds to spare Adam and Portia, find the flare and the dog.
>
> I smell manipulation in the editing room here... >:/

Yes

>> Ariel struggles to stand up.
>>
>> Marshawn and Tanisha do donuts in the rover.
>
> Nice!

I was thinking that if he flipped that thing they have to walk 10 miles
home.

>> It’s extraction time! They keep saying what a hard choice it is, but I
>> don’t know why, because Ariel is the only one who did nothing whatsoever
>> and in fact, they would’ve been better off without her.
>>
>> Arial, Porsha, and Marshawn are the bottom three!
>
> Why not Tinashe?

Tinashé drops the flare in the hole that the robot fell in so they could
figure out where he was in the cave. That was her one job and she did it
correctly. She also had to repel down to get to the hole in the first
place. Although while they called it repelling, it looked more like
Marshawn was holding a rope that she was just holding onto as she walked
down. Still she and Marshawn arguably did the best of everybody.

>> Porsche defends herself by saying she’s the one who found the flare and the
>> dog. Interestingly, in the wrapup, Marshawn will say that she’s lying.
>>
>> Ariel tries to defend herself by bitching and lying, and then suddenly
>> abruptly, and completely without warning, gives it up and commits Seppuku!
>
> For realsies?!!

Effectively. In the middle of her lying about what a great job, she did.
She just folded and said to send her home.

>> Ariel rips her space suit top open, revealing the third breast she’s grown
>> from the toxic Martian radiation,
>
> Nice!
>
>> and races out onto the Martian surface,
>> tumbling downhill, and cracking her face plate open!
>>
>> https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lCcT2zlxQvg/VwRCAZGfIEI/AAAAAAAACDU/aI7v_7g0-VUZME2wrH5wcpmUMEuSr4OZg/s1600/RecallMelina.gif
>
> Excellent!!

It made me happy

>> Next week: a surprise rescue! Will an earlier player return? Please don’t
>> let it be Ariel…
>
> You KNOW it will be!!

Which would explain why she suddenly folded this week.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<399429363.713810301.989052.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198540&group=rec.arts.tv#198540

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 09:40:05 -0700

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/15/2023 6:20 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> OUT OF THE PAST
>> 1947 detective noir with.
>> Robert Mitchum
>> Jane Greer
>> Kirk Douglas
>> Rhonda Fleming.
>>
>> How can you go wrong?
>>
>> On TCM
>>
>> I didn’t think I had seen this before, but as I watched it all came back to
>> me like the wet kiss at the end of a hot fist.
>> It’s definitely worth a watch although try not to think about it too hard
>> because most of it doesn’t make any more sense than THE BIG SLEEP.
>>
>> I had casting issues with Jane Greer and Rhonda Fleming, because they look
>> too much like, but then it turned out that that’s actually a plot point.
>> And yet it’s nonsense, because neither character was put into motion
>> because of what they look like they just happen to look alike by a complete
>> coincidence.
>>
>> People keep framing each other for murder, but there are way too many
>> people involved in each frame for it not to unravel!
>>
>> At one point Robert Mitchum has everything under complete control, and then
>> we do a transition to the next morning, and everything is the exact
>> opposite of how we left it the night before and it’s never addressed at all
>> as to how this thing went South on him!
>>
>> With the ubiquitous handy cab driver who will drive you around all night
>> and follow your instructions and is as trustworthy a character as you’ll
>> find.
>>

>> STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”
>>
> I'm snipping all that for the sake of everyone else's sanity.

Two can play at that game, Mister!

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubgahf$2tb7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198542&group=rec.arts.tv#198542

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 09:53:04 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:53 UTC

On 8/15/2023 9:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> OUT OF THE PAST
>>> 1947 detective noir with.
>>> Robert Mitchum
>>> Jane Greer
>>> Kirk Douglas
>>> Rhonda Fleming.
>>>
>>> How can you go wrong?
>>>
>>> On TCM
>>>
>>> I didn’t think I had seen this before, but as I watched it all came back to
>>> me like the wet kiss at the end of a hot fist.
>>> It’s definitely worth a watch although try not to think about it too hard
>>> because most of it doesn’t make any more sense than THE BIG SLEEP.
>>>
>>> I had casting issues with Jane Greer and Rhonda Fleming, because they look
>>> too much like, but then it turned out that that’s actually a plot point.
>>> And yet it’s nonsense, because neither character was put into motion
>>> because of what they look like they just happen to look alike by a complete
>>> coincidence.
>>>
>>> People keep framing each other for murder, but there are way too many
>>> people involved in each frame for it not to unravel!
>>>
>>> At one point Robert Mitchum has everything under complete control, and then
>>> we do a transition to the next morning, and everything is the exact
>>> opposite of how we left it the night before and it’s never addressed at all
>>> as to how this thing went South on him!
>>>
>>> With the ubiquitous handy cab driver who will drive you around all night
>>> and follow your instructions and is as trustworthy a character as you’ll
>>> find.
>>>

>>> STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”
>>>
>> I'm snipping all that for the sake of everyone else's sanity.
>>

> Two can play at that game, Mister!

Hey! I left the good stuff!

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubgcg9$2tfc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198543&group=rec.arts.tv#198543

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:26:33 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 17:26 UTC

On 8/15/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

Ran errands in the morning, and then relaxed and watched movies and TM.
I have just 2-3 days of "summer break" left, so I'll be trying to get
through movies and streaming TV series, and nothing else!! over those
few days left...

soaps: DOOL - Chloe blasts Brady for planting one on her - though Brady
is completely right about Xander! I really hate that this is how they
are writing out Victor - at first I thought they were going to go with
the *worst* option, which was just to have Victor "missing/disappeared",
but at the end they do seem to be going with Victor's plane having
crashed (which is still a bad way to go with this, but better than the
"disappeared" option...).
Sidenote: So I noticed last evening that Hulu *did* have Monday's ep
of GH! - So, apparently, they haven't dropped "same day" release of GH
episodes. They just must have messed up last week...

Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
This was an OK survival/escape pic.
The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!

Twisted Metal (Peacock) - Ep's #4-7. Still enjoying this. In these ep's,
we get the backstory on "Quiet".... and Sweet Tooth! (and Sweet Tooth's
backstory is disturbing!).
In these ep's, Quiet slips John a mickey to go after Agent Stone in
Topeka on her own, and John later has to rescue her. Meanwhile Sweet
Tooth rescues Stu, and decides to go after Stone's forces because Sweet
Tooth "hates cops"!
Later, John and Quiet are forced to hide out from a storm and "get
together". Stone sends Mike and his forces after Sweet Tooth, who kill
Sweet Tooth's new gang, but Stu is spared, and then Sweet Tooth kills
all the cops, save Mike who is now assigned to be Stu's "pet"!
John and Quiet pick up the package in Chicago (under mysterious
circumstances!), and then run across an old girlfriend of John's (Chloe
Fineman), but she's crazy and jealous of Quiet, so she has to be "put
down". (It's actually unclear if she's actually dead or not - they can
probably bring Fineman back later, if they want...)

Wire Room (Tubi) - Another among the last of Bruce Willis' movies.
OK, I actually enjoyed this. It's not "deep", but it's a decent
"ride"/thriller, and it's better than its 3.6 rating on IMDb (I'd peg
this in the low 4's...). I certainly found it to be better than almost
all of the other "latter-day Bruce Willis" flicks!
Kevin Dillon - Is. The Wire Room!! - plays the "newb" in the "wire
room" - a Fed surveillance post which collects all of the data from wire
taps on and surveillance footage of the (arms dealing?) go-between for a
Mexican cartel in the U.S.
Bruce Willis plays the crusty, unfriendly supervisor of the wire
room; tiny Shelby Cobb (whom I don't think I have ever seen before)
plays the "veteran" in the wire room.
Dillon is left alone on his first day and soon witnesses a hit squad
roll up to take out their surveillance target (Oliver Trevena). Since
the Feds need that target alive, Dillon makes the mistake of contacting
the target directly in order to save him from the hit squad!
The rest of the film is the target, and then Dillon, trying to evade
the various hit squads, while Dillon tries to figure out who is behind
the hit squads.
The only real question left here - are either Willis' or Shelby
Cobb's characters in on it?!
As I said, this premise is ready made for a decent thriller film,
and this manages to deliver as a decent (if not "deep"!) thriller.
On the Willis end - this is very clearly a "late stage" Willis
performance. It is very, very obvious that by this point they are
"isolating" Willis is nearly all of this scenes with dialogue delivery,
and by this point they are using amazingly "quick cuts" (almost MTV
video short cuts!) on Willis. There are merely *two* scenes in which
Willis shares the scene/camera shot with Dillon, and there is only the
barest, *barest* attempt to make it seem like they are actually
interacting. By this point, it seems like any interaction with co-stars
is now beyond Willis' abilities.

When Worlds Collide (Pluto TV) - This was interesting.
Sidenote: Pluto TV has *way too many ads*. Compared to the ad load
on Tubi, I found Pluto to be almost intolerable! (I think Pluto has more
ads than Freevee does too...)
Starring Richard Derr as David Randall - who is not just a pilot,
he's a TRANSPORTER!! Randall is tasked with getting some scientific data
from one scientist at an observatory in South Africa to another
scientist the U.S... As Randall is "not just a pilot, he's a
TRANSPORTER!", no woman in the movie can resist his charms, apparently,
and the U.S. scientist's soon-to-be-engaged daughter (Barbara Rush) is
no exception!
(Sidenote: I did really appreciate a look at "state of the art"
science/math equipment c.1950! No real computers! Calculations have to
be done by hand!!)
Anyway, the data proves DOOM! DOOM for Earth!!
Anim is right, though - they get many, many, *many* technical things
wrong here. Some of this is understandable - coming in 1951, before they
had even come close to perfecting rocketing into orbit.
But the film makes weird, and completely unnecessary changes from
the 1933 novel - in the novel, it's two 'rogue planets' (one
Jupiter-like, the other more Earth-like), but in the movie it's a "sun"
and a planet.
And the movie gets *all* of the rogue sun stuff wrong! Like they say
it's 5-and-a-half times larger than the Sun! That means the gravity
would majorly F**K the Earth *long* before any "collision". It would
also mean that the 'rogue sun' would be way more luminous than the Sun,
so the Earth would be F**Ked *long* before any collision! And the
"rocketing" would almost certainly not work!!
(Did they seriously not know about "red dwarf" suns in the early
1950s?...)
Maybe Anim can explain one thing to me - at the end, the rocket ship
is clearly shown to be crash-landing *into snow*. But when they open up
the door, and walk out, it's an alien meadow!... Huh?! What happened to
the snow?!?!!
Anyway, this is interesting enough, I guess, as an exercise in an
early "apocalyptic" skiffy film.
(Next up, if I get the chance: "A Crack in the World" on The Tubi!!)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<150820231333288642%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198544&group=rec.arts.tv#198544

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:33:28 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 17:33 UTC

In article <ubgcg9$2tfc2$1@dont-email.me>, Ian J. Ball
<ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

> (Did they seriously not know about "red dwarf" suns in the early
> 1950s?...)

The first red dwarf, Lacaille 8760, was discovered by Abbé Nicolas
Louis de Lacaille in 1753. So, yes, scientists knew about them. Not
sure about Hollywood screenwriters, though.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubgejf$2tvaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198545&group=rec.arts.tv#198545

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 18:02:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 18:02 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
>sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
>African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
>every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
>the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!

I wrote about this months ago but you have me kill filed. I was bored.
Basically, I got the impression that Elba wanted a studio to pay for a
vacaction and incidentally appeared in this movie.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<kijnditfr18okg7ft9l2f1vp1scfgjakuj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198552&group=rec.arts.tv#198552

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:16:18 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 19:16 UTC

On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:26:33 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 8/15/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Ran errands in the morning, and then relaxed and watched movies and TM.
>I have just 2-3 days of "summer break" left, so I'll be trying to get
>through movies and streaming TV series, and nothing else!! over those
>few days left...
>

>Twisted Metal (Peacock) - Ep's #4-7. Still enjoying this. In these ep's,
>we get the backstory on "Quiet".... and Sweet Tooth! (and Sweet Tooth's
>backstory is disturbing!).

Would you expect anything else for Sweet Tooth?

> In these ep's, Quiet slips John a mickey to go after Agent Stone in
>Topeka on her own, and John later has to rescue her. Meanwhile Sweet
>Tooth rescues Stu, and decides to go after Stone's forces because Sweet
>Tooth "hates cops"!
> Later, John and Quiet are forced to hide out from a storm and "get
>together".

Come together, right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45cYwDMibGo

>Stone sends Mike and his forces after Sweet Tooth, who kill
>Sweet Tooth's new gang, but Stu is spared, and then Sweet Tooth kills
>all the cops, save Mike who is now assigned to be Stu's "pet"!
> John and Quiet pick up the package in Chicago (under mysterious
>circumstances!), and then run across an old girlfriend of John's (Chloe
>Fineman), but she's crazy and jealous of Quiet, so she has to be "put
>down". (It's actually unclear if she's actually dead or not - they can
>probably bring Fineman back later, if they want...)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubgkiv$2uqui$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198556&group=rec.arts.tv#198556

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:44:31 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 19:44 UTC

On 8/15/23 11:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
>> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
>> sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
>> African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
>> every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
>> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
>> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
>> the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!
>
> I wrote about this months ago but you have me kill filed.

I have everybody killfiled in retaliation!!

> I was bored.
> Basically, I got the impression that Elba wanted a studio to pay for a
> vacation and incidentally appeared in this movie.

It's a great deal if you can get it!! ;)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubgkkm$2uqui$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198557&group=rec.arts.tv#198557

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:45:26 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 19:45 UTC

On 8/15/23 11:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
>> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
>> sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
>> African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
>> every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
>> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
>> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
>> the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!
>
> I wrote about this months ago but you have me kill filed. I was bored.
> Basically, I got the impression that Elba wanted a studio to pay for a
> vacation and incidentally appeared in this movie.

Looks like I will have to go my old laptop if I want to find that thread...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubglqc$2uqui$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198559&group=rec.arts.tv#198559

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:05:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 20:05 UTC

On 8/15/23 9:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> OUT OF THE PAST
>>> 1947 detective noir with.
>>> Robert Mitchum
>>> Jane Greer
>>> Kirk Douglas
>>> Rhonda Fleming.
>>>
>>> How can you go wrong?
>>>
>>> On TCM
>>
>> This is a great noir flick. The ending still packs a punch!
>
> Yes. And it’s the only time I ever saw Kirk Douglas look tiny!
>
>>> STARZ ON MARZ S01E10 “Downward Dog”
>>>
>>> Day 15
>>>
>>> Ariel is so stupid that she wears fleece booties with her pant legs tucked
>>> into them to bed to keep germs out.
>>>
>>> She spends the entire episode, talking about how great she did last week
>>> (she failed completely), and how she didn’t deserve to be in the bottom
>>> three (she absolutely did) and basically just lying to the camera.
>>
>> Dunno if it's an act for the show, but she seems completely deluded.
>>

> Yes
>
>>> [snip]
>>> Porsche defends herself by saying she’s the one who found the flare and the
>>> dog. Interestingly, in the wrapup, Marshawn will say that she’s lying.
>>>
>>> Ariel tries to defend herself by bitching and lying, and then suddenly
>>> abruptly, and completely without warning, gives it up and commits Seppuku!
>>
>> For realsies?!!
>
> Effectively. In the middle of her lying about what a great job, she did.
> She just folded and said to send her home.
>

>>> Ariel rips her space suit top open, revealing the third breast she’s grown
>>> from the toxic Martian radiation,
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>>> and races out onto the Martian surface,
>>> tumbling downhill, and cracking her face plate open!
>>>
>>> https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lCcT2zlxQvg/VwRCAZGfIEI/AAAAAAAACDU/aI7v_7g0-VUZME2wrH5wcpmUMEuSr4OZg/s1600/RecallMelina.gif
>>
>> Excellent!!
>
> It made me happy

It's made the press!!

https://deadline.com/2023/08/stars-on-mars-ariel-winter-quit-fox-reality-show-1235519995/

>>> Next week: a surprise rescue! Will an earlier player return? Please don’t
>>> let it be Ariel…
>>
>> You KNOW it will be!!
>
> Which would explain why she suddenly folded this week.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<1993839449.713823751.179443.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198562&group=rec.arts.tv#198562

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:36:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 21:36 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/15/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

> Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
> sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
> African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
> every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
> the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!

Might have to check that out.

Have you seen ROGUE with Megan Fox?

> Wire Room (Tubi) - Another among the last of Bruce Willis' movies.
> OK, I actually enjoyed this. It's not "deep", but it's a decent
> "ride"/thriller, and it's better than its 3.6 rating on IMDb (I'd peg
> this in the low 4's...). I certainly found it to be better than almost
> all of the other "latter-day Bruce Willis" flicks!
> Kevin Dillon - Is. The Wire Room!! - plays the "newb" in the "wire
> room" - a Fed surveillance post which collects all of the data from wire
> taps on and surveillance footage of the (arms dealing?) go-between for a
> Mexican cartel in the U.S.
> Bruce Willis plays the crusty, unfriendly supervisor of the wire
> room; tiny Shelby Cobb (whom I don't think I have ever seen before)
> plays the "veteran" in the wire room.
> Dillon is left alone on his first day and soon witnesses a hit squad
> roll up to take out their surveillance target (Oliver Trevena). Since
> the Feds need that target alive, Dillon makes the mistake of contacting
> the target directly in order to save him from the hit squad!
> The rest of the film is the target, and then Dillon, trying to evade
> the various hit squads, while Dillon tries to figure out who is behind
> the hit squads.
> The only real question left here - are either Willis' or Shelby
> Cobb's characters in on it?!
> As I said, this premise is ready made for a decent thriller film,
> and this manages to deliver as a decent (if not "deep"!) thriller.
> On the Willis end - this is very clearly a "late stage" Willis
> performance. It is very, very obvious that by this point they are
> "isolating" Willis is nearly all of this scenes with dialogue delivery,
> and by this point they are using amazingly "quick cuts" (almost MTV
> video short cuts!) on Willis. There are merely *two* scenes in which
> Willis shares the scene/camera shot with Dillon, and there is only the
> barest, *barest* attempt to make it seem like they are actually
> interacting. By this point, it seems like any interaction with co-stars
> is now beyond Willis' abilities.

Haven’t seen that one.

> When Worlds Collide (Pluto TV) - This was interesting.
> Sidenote: Pluto TV has *way too many ads*. Compared to the ad load
> on Tubi, I found Pluto to be almost intolerable! (I think Pluto has more
> ads than Freevee does too...)
> Starring Richard Derr as David Randall - who is not just a pilot,
> he's a TRANSPORTER!! Randall is tasked with getting some scientific data
> from one scientist at an observatory in South Africa to another
> scientist the U.S... As Randall is "not just a pilot, he's a
> TRANSPORTER!", no woman in the movie can resist his charms, apparently,
> and the U.S. scientist's soon-to-be-engaged daughter (Barbara Rush) is
> no exception!

Man, you’re right. And let’s not forget the cutie and his plane in the
beginning. I like that a lot!

BTW, the stewardess that couldn’t resist him is Mrs. Larritate from
Bewitched!

> (Sidenote: I did really appreciate a look at "state of the art"
> science/math equipment c.1950! No real computers! Calculations have to
> be done by hand!!)

D. A.
D for differential.
A for analyzer.
Differential analyzer
DA!

> Anyway, the data proves DOOM! DOOM for Earth!!
> Anim is right, though - they get many, many, *many* technical things
> wrong here. Some of this is understandable - coming in 1951, before they
> had even come close to perfecting rocketing into orbit.
> But the film makes weird, and completely unnecessary changes from
> the 1933 novel - in the novel, it's two 'rogue planets' (one
> Jupiter-like, the other more Earth-like), but in the movie it's a "sun"
> and a planet.
> And the movie gets *all* of the rogue sun stuff wrong! Like they say
> it's 5-and-a-half times larger than the Sun!

I think you misunderstood. Hendron says that Bellus, a star, is a dozen
times larger than our earth. (Or about 1/10th the size of Sol). At no time,
except in dialogue, does Bellus actually seem to be a star.

“Zyra is about the same size as our earth“

At the United Nations, the delegate from France refers to it as “the giant
star Bellus“ but he is from France, and can be ignored.

By the way, when Dr. Frye gives the top engineering students in the
country, their briefing on how the Ark is going to take off like Fireball
XL5, there is at least one black face in the class, maybe two. Hard to tell
because we’re seeing the backs of their heads for the most part.

Note that Fireball XL5 will use its lift off technology, and the champions
will copy its landing almost exactly.

Also, I have found some matte paintings in it. For instance, when Hendren
and Randall talk at the base of the ship, while blood red Bellus looms in
the sky. It’s hard to tell because most of the ship shots are that
beautiful model. Or the full size undercarriage. And most of those don’t
have live action in them. But I found a couple that have a little bit of
everything.

There’s another one a couple moments later with a construction crew in the
lower right and the top 2/3 of the screen filled with the launch ramp.
That’s another one You have to look at closely to tell if it’s a painting
or the giant model.

There are also some live action foreground shots that are matted over
background paintings,, apparently by hand!

I love that they invent giant flat screen, closed circuit, color
television, just as an afterthought and nobody ever marvels at it.

That means the gravity
> would majorly F**K the Earth *long* before any "collision". It would
> also mean that the 'rogue sun' would be way more luminous than the Sun,
> so the Earth would be F**Ked *long* before any collision! And the
> "rocketing" would almost certainly not work!!

And there’s no way in hell that firing a machine gun at it would do any
good.

> (Did they seriously not know about "red dwarf" suns in the early
> 1950s?...)

The term red dwarf has been around since world war one but it didn’t mean
quite the same thing. Our current understanding of red dwarfs was beginning
to solidify in the mid-1950s so the short answer is “no“

> Maybe Anim can explain one thing to me - at the end, the rocket ship
> is clearly shown to be crash-landing *into snow*. But when they open up
> the door, and walk out, it's an alien meadow!... Huh?! What happened to
> the snow?!?!!

The Ark comes sledding through the snow and at the last moment does a 90°
pivot so the door is facing a direction we never see during the landing
sequence. Could be they’ve just come to the end of the snow and come to a
stop just in time!

The shots of just the door, and the landing ramp have snow piled up against
the bottom of the ship.

The painting of the New World may or may not have ice or water in the lower
right foreground, it’s hard to tell. The best thing to think is that you
were seeing it from the raised position of the top of the landing ramp, and
the snow is out of frame at the bottom.

The behind-the-scenes explanation would be that as is so typical Hollywood
made changes left and right without ever worrying about the repercussions
of the finale.

In the book the planet is frozen, because the other planets not a star. It
takes a lot longer traveling in our system to get to the earth though, so
it has time to be thawing out. And the movie the planet shouldn’t be frozen
if the other planet is a star! So they’ve got a combination of frozen and
not frozen worlds and worlds that haven’t had time to thaw out and have had
time to thaw out, and they end up with that painting that I would like to
think would have had some snow at the bottom if they’d actually build a
model of it.

Oh, also in the book, they don’t rush right outside! I really hate that
Randall runs and opens the airlock door even while the guys in charge are
telling him not to. Who knows what gases could result from hot earth
spaceship melting alien snow!

> Anyway, this is interesting enough, I guess, as an exercise in an
> early "apocalyptic" skiffy film.
> (Next up, if I get the chance: "A Crack in the World" on The Tubi!!)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<73120344.713828798.402287.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198565&group=rec.arts.tv#198565

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:49:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 21:49 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/15/23 9:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> This is a great noir flick. The ending still packs a punch!
>>
>> Yes. And it’s the only time I ever saw Kirk Douglas look tiny!

>>> Dunno if it's an act for the show, but she seems completely deluded.
>>>

>> Yes

>>> For realsies?!!
>>
>> Effectively. In the middle of her lying about what a great job, she did.
>> She just folded and said to send her home.

>>> Nice!

>>> Excellent!!
>>
>> It made me happy
>
> It's made the press!!
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/stars-on-mars-ariel-winter-quit-fox-reality-show-1235519995/

Lol

>>> You KNOW it will be!!
>>
>> Which would explain why she suddenly folded this week.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubh10t$30j3v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198580&group=rec.arts.tv#198580

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:16:45 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 23:16 UTC

On 8/15/23 2:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 8/15/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
>> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
>> sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
>> African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
>> every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
>> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
>> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
>> the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!
>
> Might have to check that out.
>
> Have you seen ROGUE with Megan Fox?

Yes, I have:

"Rogue" co-stars South African actress Jessica Sutton, who went on to
star in "Motherland: Fort Salem" (and, unfortunately, hasn't seemed to
do anything since!... :( ), and has a cameo appearance from the
impossibly sexy, impossibly bad actress Calli Taylor (in "Rogue", she's
the classmate of Sutton's who immediately dies!!). Calli Taylor
co-starred in 2019's "The Courier" (starring Olga K!! and which Taylor
is *terrible*, but impossibly sexy! in!), appeared in two Lifetime
flicks from Vivica Fox's Hybrid Films the same year, and then appeared
in "Rogue" in 2020, and has done *absolutely nothing since*. I guess
once they figured out Calli Taylor was sexy a.f.! but couldn't act, they
deep-sixed her. That, or The COVID got her... :(

>> Wire Room (Tubi) - Another among the last of Bruce Willis' movies.
>> OK, I actually enjoyed this. It's not "deep", but it's a decent
>> "ride"/thriller, and it's better than its 3.6 rating on IMDb (I'd peg
>> this in the low 4's...). I certainly found it to be better than almost
>> all of the other "latter-day Bruce Willis" flicks!
>> Kevin Dillon - Is. The Wire Room!! - plays the "newb" in the "wire
>> room" - a Fed surveillance post which collects all of the data from wire
>> taps on and surveillance footage of the (arms dealing?) go-between for a
>> Mexican cartel in the U.S.
>> [snip]
>> On the Willis end - this is very clearly a "late stage" Willis
>> performance. It is very, very obvious that by this point they are
>> "isolating" Willis is nearly all of this scenes with dialogue delivery,
>> and by this point they are using amazingly "quick cuts" (almost MTV
>> video short cuts!) on Willis. There are merely *two* scenes in which
>> Willis shares the scene/camera shot with Dillon, and there is only the
>> barest, *barest* attempt to make it seem like they are actually
>> interacting. By this point, it seems like any interaction with co-stars
>> is now beyond Willis' abilities.
>
> Haven’t seen that one.

As I said - this is arguably one of the better "last films of Bruce
Willis". (That being a relative scale!)

>> When Worlds Collide (Pluto TV) - This was interesting.
>> Sidenote: Pluto TV has *way too many ads*. Compared to the ad load
>> on Tubi, I found Pluto to be almost intolerable! (I think Pluto has more
>> ads than Freevee does too...)
>> Starring Richard Derr as David Randall - who is not just a pilot,
>> he's a TRANSPORTER!! Randall is tasked with getting some scientific data
>> from one scientist at an observatory in South Africa to another
>> scientist the U.S... As Randall is "not just a pilot, he's a
>> TRANSPORTER!", no woman in the movie can resist his charms, apparently,
>> and the U.S. scientist's soon-to-be-engaged daughter (Barbara Rush) is
>> no exception!
>
> Man, you’re right. And let’s not forget the cutie and his plane in the
> beginning. I like that a lot!
>
> BTW, the stewardess that couldn’t resist him is Mrs. Larritate from
> Bewitched!

The stewardess was the most blatant example of his being "he's not just
a pilot, he's a TRANSPORTER!" "too sexy"!! ;p

>> (Sidenote: I did really appreciate a look at "state of the art"
>> science/math equipment c.1950! No real computers! Calculations have to
>> be done by hand!!)
>
> D. A.
> D for differential.
> A for analyzer.
> Differential analyzer
> DA!
>
>> Anyway, the data proves DOOM! DOOM for Earth!!
>> Anim is right, though - they get many, many, *many* technical things
>> wrong here. Some of this is understandable - coming in 1951, before they
>> had even come close to perfecting rocketing into orbit.
>> But the film makes weird, and completely unnecessary changes from
>> the 1933 novel - in the novel, it's two 'rogue planets' (one
>> Jupiter-like, the other more Earth-like), but in the movie it's a "sun"
>> and a planet.
>> And the movie gets *all* of the rogue sun stuff wrong! Like they say
>> it's 5-and-a-half times larger than the Sun!
>
> I think you misunderstood. Hendron says that Bellus, a star, is a dozen
> times larger than our earth. (Or about 1/10th the size of Sol).

I could swear they said "5-and-a-half times larger than the Sun", not
"5-and-a-half times larger than the Earth". But I'm too lazy to go check
it...

> At no time,
> except in dialogue, does Bellus actually seem to be a star.
>
> “Zyra is about the same size as our earth“
>
> At the United Nations, the delegate from France refers to it as “the giant
> star Bellus“ but he is from France, and can be ignored.
>
> By the way, when Dr. Frye gives the top engineering students in the
> country, their briefing on how the Ark is going to take off like Fireball
> XL5, there is at least one black face in the class, maybe two. Hard to tell
> because we’re seeing the backs of their heads for the most part.
>
> Note that Fireball XL5 will use its lift off technology, and the champions
> will copy its landing almost exactly.
>
> Also, I have found some matte paintings in it. For instance, when Hendren
> and Randall talk at the base of the ship, while blood red Bellus looms in
> the sky. It’s hard to tell because most of the ship shots are that
> beautiful model. Or the full size undercarriage. And most of those don’t
> have live action in them. But I found a couple that have a little bit of
> everything.
>
> There’s another one a couple moments later with a construction crew in the
> lower right and the top 2/3 of the screen filled with the launch ramp.
> That’s another one You have to look at closely to tell if it’s a painting
> or the giant model.
>
> There are also some live action foreground shots that are matted over
> background paintings,, apparently by hand!
>
> I love that they invent giant flat screen, closed circuit, color
> television, just as an afterthought and nobody ever marvels at it.
>
>> That means the gravity
>> would majorly F**K the Earth *long* before any "collision". It would
>> also mean that the 'rogue sun' would be way more luminous than the Sun,
>> so the Earth would be F**Ked *long* before any collision! And the
>> "rocketing" would almost certainly not work!!
>
> And there’s no way in hell that firing a machine gun at it would do any
> good.
>
>> (Did they seriously not know about "red dwarf" suns in the early
>> 1950s?...)
>
> The term red dwarf has been around since world war one but it didn’t mean
> quite the same thing. Our current understanding of red dwarfs was beginning
> to solidify in the mid-1950s so the short answer is “no“

I think that somewhat tracks on what I was reading in Wiki last night...

>> Maybe Anim can explain one thing to me - at the end, the rocket ship
>> is clearly shown to be crash-landing *into snow*. But when they open up
>> the door, and walk out, it's an alien meadow!... Huh?! What happened to
>> the snow?!?!!
>
> The Ark comes sledding through the snow and at the last moment does a 90°
> pivot so the door is facing a direction we never see during the landing
> sequence. Could be they’ve just come to the end of the snow and come to a
> stop just in time!
>
> The shots of just the door, and the landing ramp have snow piled up against
> the bottom of the ship.
>
> The painting of the New World may or may not have ice or water in the lower
> right foreground, it’s hard to tell. The best thing to think is that you
> were seeing it from the raised position of the top of the landing ramp, and
> the snow is out of frame at the bottom.
>
> The behind-the-scenes explanation would be that as is so typical Hollywood
> made changes left and right without ever worrying about the repercussions
> of the finale.
>
> In the book the planet is frozen, because the other planets not a star. It
> takes a lot longer traveling in our system to get to the earth though, so
> it has time to be thawing out.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<1874187770.713841778.667295.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198609&group=rec.arts.tv#198609

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 18:41:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 01:41 UTC

> [...]
>>> ads than Freevee does too...)
>>> Starring Richard Derr as David Randall - who is not just a pilot,
>>> he's a TRANSPORTER!! Randall is tasked with getting some scientific data
>>> from one scientist at an observatory in South Africa to another
>>> scientist the U.S... As Randall is "not just a pilot, he's a
>>> TRANSPORTER!", no woman in the movie can resist his charms, apparently,
>>> and the U.S. scientist's soon-to-be-engaged daughter (Barbara Rush) is
>>> no exception!
>>
>> Man, you’re right. And let’s not forget the cutie and his plane in the
>> beginning. I like that a lot!
>>
>> BTW, the stewardess that couldn’t resist him is Mrs. Larritate from
>> Bewitched!
>
> The stewardess was the most blatant example of his being "he's not just
> a pilot, he's a TRANSPORTER!" "too sexy"!! ;p

In fairness to Louise Tate, the guy has two seats at the front of the plane
and gets telegrams she has to bring him at every stop. I can see where that
would attract your attention!

>>> (Sidenote: I did really appreciate a look at "state of the art"
>>> science/math equipment c.1950! No real computers! Calculations have to
>>> be done by hand!!)
>>
>> D. A.
>> D for differential.
>> A for analyzer.
>> Differential analyzer
>> DA!
>>
>>> Anyway, the data proves DOOM! DOOM for Earth!!
>>> Anim is right, though - they get many, many, *many* technical things
>>> wrong here. Some of this is understandable - coming in 1951, before they
>>> had even come close to perfecting rocketing into orbit.
>>> But the film makes weird, and completely unnecessary changes from
>>> the 1933 novel - in the novel, it's two 'rogue planets' (one
>>> Jupiter-like, the other more Earth-like), but in the movie it's a "sun"
>>> and a planet.
>>> And the movie gets *all* of the rogue sun stuff wrong! Like they say
>>> it's 5-and-a-half times larger than the Sun!
>>
>> I think you misunderstood. Hendron says that Bellus, a star, is a dozen
>> times larger than our earth. (Or about 1/10th the size of Sol).
>
> I could swear they said "5-and-a-half times larger than the Sun", not
> "5-and-a-half times larger than the Earth". But I'm too lazy to go check
> it...

I checked it and quoted it almost verbatim above. Both the scene where
Randall first hears about it, and the scene in the United Nations.

> [...]
>> right foreground, it’s hard to tell. The best thing to think is that you
>> were seeing it from the raised position of the top of the landing ramp, and
>> the snow is out of frame at the bottom.
>>
>> The behind-the-scenes explanation would be that as is so typical Hollywood
>> made changes left and right without ever worrying about the repercussions
>> of the finale.
>>
>> In the book the planet is frozen, because the other planets not a star. It
>> takes a lot longer traveling in our system to get to the earth though, so
>> it has time to be thawing out.
>
> OK, that makes a lot more sense. The fact that the book was written in
> the early 30s, it's amazing how much more *scientifically literate* (and
> accurate!) it is in comparison to the movie.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<2061187511.713896666.836354.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198691&group=rec.arts.tv#198691

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:07:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 17:07 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 8/15/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

>> Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
>> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
>> sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
>> African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
>> every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
>> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
>> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
>> the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!
>
> Might have to check that out.
>
> Have you seen ROGUE with Megan Fox?

BEAST has been checked out. While it was pretty good, and I found the
animals wholly convincing (IMDb says there’s not a real animal in the
thing, and it probably helped that the presentation was so soft. It looks
like it had been been shot through a sock) there was a lot of bad directing
going on. All in all I think ROGUE is probably the better film if for no
other reason, then it has cute girls in it.

IMDB points out that the end with Elba fighting the lion isn’t possibly
survivable on his side and they’re right.

I could’ve done without the dream and hallucination sequences as well.

I actually shouted at Elba when, while fleeing the lion, he breaks into the
old school and… Leaves the front door standing open. Really?

I also found the older daughter, who fancies her self a photographer But
brings along one role of black-and-white film because she likes film better
just too stupid to live. So you’ve got 36 shots for your entire trip to
Africa? Fuck film. Bring your iPhone and take 36,000 shots and play the law
of averages.

Then the Prime suggested I watch The Rock in RAMPAGE, apparently, because
both movies have evil poachers in them.

You don’t realize how good the CGI animals in BEAST are until you suffer
through several hours of terrible obvious CGI animals in this.

There are times when they almost get some of the science in this right. A
mysterious serum has caused the albino ape to almost double in size and
mass overnight. Miss Moneypenny says he must be starving, because…
Apparently he’s consuming his mass to make… More mass… So they have to get
him some food. To replace the mass he used making more mass. So close.

The serum somehow only affects three animals as it falls from orbit. The
albino ape in San Diego, and an alligator in the Everglades (I’m pretty
sure those aren’t on the same orbital path), and the wolf somewhere along
the way in between. The ape just becomes big and mean, the others mutate
into almost unrecognizable, big, and mean things. Malin Akerman
single-handedly reduces the film to Asylum level as the evil executive in
charge.

Moneypenny is OK as the scientist who created this mess but it would’ve
been better. Had she been played by Hi ho the Dario.

The only way they could have saved this film as if after Ackerman shoots
the Rocks rocks off, he had taken the serum to cure himself and grown to
gigantic size, and fought the animals in hand to hand combat. Then we
would’ve had ourselves a movie!

Come to think of it, why exactly didn’t the serum affect anything but those
three animals?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubjnhp$3fp19$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198734&group=rec.arts.tv#198734

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:53:31 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 23:53 UTC

On 8/16/2023 10:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Beast (Prime) - This was OK. (Filmed in Namibia!!)
>>> Idris Elba, his two daughters - a bratty teen (Iyana Halley), and a
>>> sweet, shy tween (Leah Sava Jeffries) - and Sharlto Copley as a South
>>> African park ranger(?) - are menaced by a rogue lion that wants to kill
>>> every human ever!! after some EVOL poachers exterminate his pride.
>>> This was an OK survival/escape pic.
>>> The ending is kind of brutal when Elba "sacrifices" himself to save
>>> the daughters, but is saved by "lions ex machina"!
>>
>> Might have to check that out.
>>
>> Have you seen ROGUE with Megan Fox?
>
> BEAST has been checked out. While it was pretty good, and I found the
> animals wholly convincing (IMDb says there’s not a real animal in the
> thing, and it probably helped that the presentation was so soft. It looks
> like it had been been shot through a sock) there was a lot of bad directing
> going on. All in all I think ROGUE is probably the better film if for no
> other reason, then it has cute girls in it.
>
> IMDB points out that the end with Elba fighting the lion isn’t possibly
> survivable on his side and they’re right.
>
> I could’ve done without the dream and hallucination sequences as well.
>
> I actually shouted at Elba when, while fleeing the lion, he breaks into the
> old school and… Leaves the front door standing open. Really?
>
> I also found the older daughter, who fancies her self a photographer But
> brings along one role of black-and-white film because she likes film better
> just too stupid to live. So you’ve got 36 shots for your entire trip to
> Africa? Fuck film. Bring your iPhone and take 36,000 shots and play the law
> of averages.
>
> Then the Prime suggested I watch The Rock in RAMPAGE, apparently, because
> both movies have evil poachers in them.
>
> You don’t realize how good the CGI animals in BEAST are until you suffer
> through several hours of terrible obvious CGI animals in this.

Well, they were pixel based video game monsters so what did you expect?

> There are times when they almost get some of the science in this right. A
> mysterious serum has caused the albino ape to almost double in size and
> mass overnight. Miss Moneypenny says he must be starving, because…
> Apparently he’s consuming his mass to make… More mass… So they have to get
> him some food. To replace the mass he used making more mass. So close.
>
> The serum somehow only affects three animals as it falls from orbit. The
> albino ape in San Diego, and an alligator in the Everglades (I’m pretty
> sure those aren’t on the same orbital path), and the wolf somewhere along
> the way in between. The ape just becomes big and mean, the others mutate
> into almost unrecognizable, big, and mean things. Malin Akerman
> single-handedly reduces the film to Asylum level as the evil executive in
> charge.
>
> Moneypenny is OK as the scientist who created this mess but it would’ve
> been better. Had she been played by Hi ho the Dario.

Well, don't you feel that way about pretty much every movie?

> The only way they could have saved this film as if after Ackerman shoots
> the Rocks rocks off, he had taken the serum to cure himself and grown to
> gigantic size, and fought the animals in hand to hand combat. Then we
> would’ve had ourselves a movie!
>
> Come to think of it, why exactly didn’t the serum affect anything but those
> three animals?

Because, CGI budget.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<qcrqdil87r9anhs9v95hb949k57dvco6j0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198738&group=rec.arts.tv#198738

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 20:47:56 -0400
 by: shawn - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 00:47 UTC

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:53:31 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 8/16/2023 10:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> Might have to check that out.
>>>
>>> Have you seen ROGUE with Megan Fox?
>>
>> BEAST has been checked out. While it was pretty good, and I found the
>> animals wholly convincing (IMDb says there’s not a real animal in the
>> thing, and it probably helped that the presentation was so soft. It looks
>> like it had been been shot through a sock) there was a lot of bad directing
>> going on. All in all I think ROGUE is probably the better film if for no
>> other reason, then it has cute girls in it.
>>
>> IMDB points out that the end with Elba fighting the lion isn’t possibly
>> survivable on his side and they’re right.
>>
>> I could’ve done without the dream and hallucination sequences as well.
>>
>> I actually shouted at Elba when, while fleeing the lion, he breaks into the
>> old school and… Leaves the front door standing open. Really?
>>
>> I also found the older daughter, who fancies her self a photographer But
>> brings along one role of black-and-white film because she likes film better
>> just too stupid to live. So you’ve got 36 shots for your entire trip to
>> Africa? Fuck film. Bring your iPhone and take 36,000 shots and play the law
>> of averages.
>>
>> Then the Prime suggested I watch The Rock in RAMPAGE, apparently, because
>> both movies have evil poachers in them.
>>
>> You don’t realize how good the CGI animals in BEAST are until you suffer
>> through several hours of terrible obvious CGI animals in this.
>>
>Well, they were pixel based video game monsters so what did you expect?
>
>> There are times when they almost get some of the science in this right. A
>> mysterious serum has caused the albino ape to almost double in size and
>> mass overnight. Miss Moneypenny says he must be starving, because…
>> Apparently he’s consuming his mass to make… More mass… So they have to get
>> him some food. To replace the mass he used making more mass. So close.
>>
>> The serum somehow only affects three animals as it falls from orbit. The
>> albino ape in San Diego, and an alligator in the Everglades (I’m pretty
>> sure those aren’t on the same orbital path), and the wolf somewhere along
>> the way in between. The ape just becomes big and mean, the others mutate
>> into almost unrecognizable, big, and mean things. Malin Akerman
>> single-handedly reduces the film to Asylum level as the evil executive in
>> charge.
>>
>> Moneypenny is OK as the scientist who created this mess but it would’ve
>> been better. Had she been played by Hi ho the Dario.
>>
>Well, don't you feel that way about pretty much every movie?

Hi Ho the Dario plays Barack Obama in the new film, THE OBAMA YEARS.

Hi Ho the Dario plays Queen Cleopatra in the new Netflix film, QUEEN
CLEOPATRA 2.
>> The only way they could have saved this film as if after Ackerman shoots
>> the Rocks rocks off, he had taken the serum to cure himself and grown to
>> gigantic size, and fought the animals in hand to hand combat. Then we
>> would’ve had ourselves a movie!
>>
>> Come to think of it, why exactly didn’t the serum affect anything but those
>> three animals?
>>
>Because, CGI budget.

Yeah, that's the usual reason.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubjupk$3kdt6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198743&group=rec.arts.tv#198743

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 01:57:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 01:57 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 8/16/2023 10:07 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> Might have to check that out.
>>>
>>> Have you seen ROGUE with Megan Fox?
>>
>> BEAST has been checked out. While it was pretty good, and I found the
>> animals wholly convincing (IMDb says there’s not a real animal in the
>> thing, and it probably helped that the presentation was so soft. It looks
>> like it had been been shot through a sock) there was a lot of bad directing
>> going on. All in all I think ROGUE is probably the better film if for no
>> other reason, then it has cute girls in it.
>>
>> IMDB points out that the end with Elba fighting the lion isn’t possibly
>> survivable on his side and they’re right.
>>
>> I could’ve done without the dream and hallucination sequences as well.
>>
>> I actually shouted at Elba when, while fleeing the lion, he breaks into the
>> old school and… Leaves the front door standing open. Really?
>>
>> I also found the older daughter, who fancies her self a photographer But
>> brings along one role of black-and-white film because she likes film better
>> just too stupid to live. So you’ve got 36 shots for your entire trip to
>> Africa? Fuck film. Bring your iPhone and take 36,000 shots and play the law
>> of averages.
>>
>> Then the Prime suggested I watch The Rock in RAMPAGE, apparently, because
>> both movies have evil poachers in them.
>>
>> You don’t realize how good the CGI animals in BEAST are until you suffer
>> through several hours of terrible obvious CGI animals in this.
>>
>Well, they were pixel based video game monsters so what did you expect?
>
>> There are times when they almost get some of the science in this right. A
>> mysterious serum has caused the albino ape to almost double in size and
>> mass overnight. Miss Moneypenny says he must be starving, because…
>> Apparently he’s consuming his mass to make… More mass… So they
>have to get
>> him some food. To replace the mass he used making more mass. So close.
>>
>> The serum somehow only affects three animals as it falls from orbit. The
>> albino ape in San Diego, and an alligator in the Everglades (I’m pretty
>> sure those aren’t on the same orbital path), and the wolf somewhere along
>> the way in between. The ape just becomes big and mean, the others mutate
>> into almost unrecognizable, big, and mean things. Malin Akerman
>> single-handedly reduces the film to Asylum level as the evil executive in
>> charge.
>>
>> Moneypenny is OK as the scientist who created this mess but it would’ve
>> been better. Had she been played by Hi ho the Dario.

>Well, don't you feel that way about pretty much every movie?

Alexandra Daddario IS Eleanor Roosevelt in The Eleanor Roosevelt Story.

>> The only way they could have saved this film as if after Ackerman shoots
>> the Rocks rocks off, he had taken the serum to cure himself and grown to
>> gigantic size, and fought the animals in hand to hand combat. Then we
>> would’ve had ourselves a movie!
>>
>> Come to think of it, why exactly didn’t the serum affect anything but those
>> three animals?
>>
>Because, CGI budget.
>
>--
>I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<C06dnSMWVKt9HkD5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198749&group=rec.arts.tv#198749

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:20:16 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:20 UTC

On Aug 16, 2023 at 6:57:09 PM PDT, ""Adam H. Kerman"" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> BEAST has been checked out. While it was pretty good, and I found the
>>> animals wholly convincing (IMDb says there’s not a real animal in the
>>> thing, and it probably helped that the presentation was so soft. It looks
>>> like it had been been shot through a sock) there was a lot of bad directing
>>> going on. All in all I think ROGUE is probably the better film if for no
>>> other reason, then it has cute girls in it.
>>>
>>> IMDB points out that the end with Elba fighting the lion isn’t possibly
>>> survivable on his side and they’re right.
>>>
>>> I could’ve done without the dream and hallucination sequences as well.
>>>
>>> I actually shouted at Elba when, while fleeing the lion, he breaks into the
>>> old school and… Leaves the front door standing open. Really?
>>>
>>> I also found the older daughter, who fancies her self a photographer But
>>> brings along one role of black-and-white film because she likes film better
>>> just too stupid to live. So you’ve got 36 shots for your entire trip to
>>> Africa? Fuck film. Bring your iPhone and take 36,000 shots and play the law
>>> of averages.
>>>
>>> Then the Prime suggested I watch The Rock in RAMPAGE, apparently, because
>>> both movies have evil poachers in them.
>>>
>>> You don’t realize how good the CGI animals in BEAST are until you suffer
>>> through several hours of terrible obvious CGI animals in this.
>>>
>> Well, they were pixel based video game monsters so what did you expect?
>>
>>> There are times when they almost get some of the science in this right. A
>>> mysterious serum has caused the albino ape to almost double in size and
>>> mass overnight. Miss Moneypenny says he must be starving, because…
>>> Apparently he’s consuming his mass to make… More mass… So they
>> have to get
>>> him some food. To replace the mass he used making more mass. So close.
>>>
>>> The serum somehow only affects three animals as it falls from orbit. The
>>> albino ape in San Diego, and an alligator in the Everglades (I’m pretty
>>> sure those aren’t on the same orbital path), and the wolf somewhere along
>>> the way in between. The ape just becomes big and mean, the others mutate
>>> into almost unrecognizable, big, and mean things. Malin Akerman
>>> single-handedly reduces the film to Asylum level as the evil executive in
>>> charge.
>>>
>>> Moneypenny is OK as the scientist who created this mess but it would’ve
>>> been better. Had she been played by Hi ho the Dario.
>
>> Well, don't you feel that way about pretty much every movie?
>
> Alexandra Daddario IS Eleanor Roosevelt in The Eleanor Roosevelt Story.

Is there nothing she can't do?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<ubk0n0$3kj29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198751&group=rec.arts.tv#198751

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:29:51 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:29 UTC

On 8/16/23 7:20 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2023 at 6:57:09 PM PDT, ""Adam H. Kerman"" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Well, they were pixel based video game monsters so what did you expect?

>>> have to get

>>> Well, don't you feel that way about pretty much every movie?
>>
>> Alexandra Daddario IS Eleanor Roosevelt in The Eleanor Roosevelt Story.
>
> Is there nothing she can't do?

I don't feel like she could play "Sweet Tooth" on "Twisted Metal"...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-14 (Monday)

<1801988057.713931490.841980.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198752&group=rec.arts.tv#198752

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:32:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 02:32 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> BEAST has been checked out. While it was pretty good, and I found the
>>> animals wholly convincing (IMDb says there’s not a real animal in the
>>> thing, and it probably helped that the presentation was so soft. It looks
>>> like it had been been shot through a sock) there was a lot of bad directing
>>> going on. All in all I think ROGUE is probably the better film if for no
>>> other reason, then it has cute girls in it.
>>>
>>> IMDB points out that the end with Elba fighting the lion isn’t possibly
>>> survivable on his side and they’re right.
>>>
>>> I could’ve done without the dream and hallucination sequences as well.
>>>
>>> I actually shouted at Elba when, while fleeing the lion, he breaks into the
>>> old school and… Leaves the front door standing open. Really?
>>>
>>> I also found the older daughter, who fancies her self a photographer But
>>> brings along one role of black-and-white film because she likes film better
>>> just too stupid to live. So you’ve got 36 shots for your entire trip to
>>> Africa? Fuck film. Bring your iPhone and take 36,000 shots and play the law
>>> of averages.
>>>
>>> Then the Prime suggested I watch The Rock in RAMPAGE, apparently, because
>>> both movies have evil poachers in them.
>>>
>>> You don’t realize how good the CGI animals in BEAST are until you suffer
>>> through several hours of terrible obvious CGI animals in this.
>>>
>> Well, they were pixel based video game monsters so what did you expect?
>>
>>> There are times when they almost get some of the science in this right. A
>>> mysterious serum has caused the albino ape to almost double in size and
>>> mass overnight. Miss Moneypenny says he must be starving, because…
>>> Apparently he’s consuming his mass to make… More mass… So they
>> have to get
>>> him some food. To replace the mass he used making more mass. So close.
>>>
>>> The serum somehow only affects three animals as it falls from orbit. The
>>> albino ape in San Diego, and an alligator in the Everglades (I’m pretty
>>> sure those aren’t on the same orbital path), and the wolf somewhere along
>>> the way in between. The ape just becomes big and mean, the others mutate
>>> into almost unrecognizable, big, and mean things. Malin Akerman
>>> single-handedly reduces the film to Asylum level as the evil executive in
>>> charge.
>>>
>>> Moneypenny is OK as the scientist who created this mess but it would’ve
>>> been better. Had she been played by Hi ho the Dario.
>
>> Well, don't you feel that way about pretty much every movie?
>
> Alexandra Daddario IS Eleanor Roosevelt in The Eleanor Roosevelt Story.

You’re missing the part where the idea is that she’s costarring with the
Rock.