Who is John Galt?

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
   +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)BTR1701
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
     `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<ubdejp$2bvlr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198440&group=rec.arts.tv#198440

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 07:44:10 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 14:44 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S9E12 'Collateral Damage' - DVD
"The Galarans visit the SGC to demonstrate a new learning tool they have
developed. They have found a way to to graft memories - and the person's
expert knowledge - from one person to another. The Pentagon thinks it
could cut pilot training, for example, to just a few days and are
definitely interested. Sam believes the Galarans are more than likely
interested in acquiring arms in return and SG-1 is dispatched to the
planet to see what they can learn. Mitchell spends the night with the
scientist in charge of the project, Reya Varrick, but when she is found
dead Mitchell is arrested - and he admits to having memories of having
killed her. Mitchell is certain he didn't kill her and demands a
complete investigation."
(Actually, the Galarans never come to Earth.)

Major General Hank Landry: I read your report. Not sure I've ever seen
language like that used in an official Air Force document before.

Trivia: In the original story idea it was to be Teal'c charged with a
crime he didn't commit. As Teal'c already had a significant story arc
for the season, it was changed to Mitchell to explore Mitchell's past.
The main computer terminal which is used in the alien lab is the same
terminal that Samantha Carter uses in Revisions (2003).

Commentary: Director William Waring and DP Peter Woeste. They used
large (20 foot diameter) helium balloons to light the nighttime party
scene. Apparently a lot of fans were upset about Col. Mitchell
"Kirking" the other world's female scientist. First time I've heard of
"Kirking" to describe a main character romancing a guest star. O_o

End of the disc, so extras. First is a featurette about the Special
Effects department. First they gove over, several times, the difference
between "special effects" and "visual effects". "Special" something
physically done on set. Explosions, bubbling witch's cauldrons, remote
doors, etc. "Visual" being the computer work, matte and background
paintings and such done "after the fact" of filming (or before the fact
or whatever). Stuff not in front of a camera. And Anim will now tell
us about how they got it all wrong. :P Mostly they covered how they
blow things up without actually blowing up anyone in the crew or cast
and how they burned Claudia Black for being a witch. Peter DeLuise
thinks actors act better when you light them on fire or blow them up.
Then a BTS featurette about the episode 'Prototype' (the 'Silence of the
Lambs' ripoff) with DeLuise. DeLuise likes to laugh at stunt people
getting hurt.

--------------

Stargate: SG-1 S9E13 'Ripple Effect' - DVD
"SG-1 returns early from a mission only to realize that they and Gen.
Landry aren't on the same page as far as the the mission they've just
completed is concerned. The confusion is quickly resolved when the
"real" SG-1 returns at the correct time. Dr. Lam examines them all and
concludes that they are identical and thinks they might be clones. Sam
however thinks they may have come from a parallel universe as the result
of the black hole they created when they destroyed the Ori beachhead. As
more SG-1 teams arrive from other alternate universes, one of them
includes Dr. Fraiser and another includes the Tok'ra Martouf. It's left
to Sam and Martouf to find a way to send them all home."

Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: As we discussed the situation we realized
we could pinpoint the source of the phenomenon to a precise window.
Specifically the interim journey between the two gates.
Cameron Mitchell: Did she just say "we"?
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: Pardon me?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: She said we. You said we?
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: Ah, me and... myself, I suppose. The
other Samantha Carter.
Cameron Mitchell: Right, finally someone who can keep up with you.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: [Smiling] Yep!

Kvasir: The perilous nature of this mission should not be taken
lightly. There is a chance that the Prometheus may not survive this
voyage. But courage and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable
assets in this undertaking. Well, good luck to you all.
[beams out]
Dr. Daniel Jackson: I miss Thor.

Alternate Cameron Mitchell: [One of the alternate Mitchell's is
about to return to his reality through the stargate, but pauses and
turns to address "original" Mitchell] Hey Mitchell, when the time comes,
cut the green one!

Trivia: Regarding the Asgard, Mitchell tells Carter he would have
expected pants. Coincidentally, later in the episode, Mitchell is also
without pants.

Commentary: EP/Writer Joseph Mallozzi, Visual Effects Producer Michelle
Comens. There was discussion about having Mitchell and Lam be in a
relationship. This was a Peter DeLuise directed episode and he isn't
involved in the commentary, so it looks like they really did lock him
out of doing commentaries.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<ubdj7q$2cqqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198453&group=rec.arts.tv#198453

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:03:05 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 16:03 UTC

On 8/14/23 7:44 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> What Did You Watch?

Terror Eyes (Tubi) - This 2021 horror flick looks to be about the last
thing Ayla Kell ("Make It or Break It") has done, which is why I was
interested in it.
Sidenote: Kell has had a weird career - she mostly worked steadily
from "Make It or Break It" until 2015, and then nothing in 2016, then 2
or 3 projects from 2017, and then nothing until 2020-2021, and then...
nothing since. Dunno if she's been having babies during the gaps, or
threatened to "retire", or if she just has a bad agent...
Anyway, "Terror Eyes" was a frustrating watch - it's a mix of pretty
dang bad, with some amusing and somewhat decent parts. Luckily, I would
say the second-half of the film is better than the first half.
Probably the best part here was Aristotle Georgeson as the
comedy-relief "Greek chorus" internet "analyst". I also enjoyed Jennifer
Blanc-Biehn(!) as the mom.
Along with Kell, this also stars Riker Lynch and Lisseth Chavez. (I
didn't realize that in addition to now starring "The Rookie", Chavez
also did "Legends of Tomorrow" (must have been around the time I stopped
watching it) *and* "Chicago P.D." (where I think I dimly remember her...))
Anyway, the three of them, but esp. Kell's character, are being
stalked by some fans of a "dark web" site/show called "Terror Eyes", as
they head to Coachella for the music festival.
But, wait! There's a twist!!
About the best I can say about all of this is that it mostly ends
well (though one character's death doesn't make a lick of sense...). And
there are some bikini shots... ;p

golf - Exciting final day at the St. Jude' Championship! (first playoff
tourney for the Fed Ex Cup) - having led most of the tournament,
PGA-veteran Lucas Glover (who had just won last week's tournament!) lost
the lead down the stretch to a surging Patrick Cantlay (who had won two
of last year's playoff tournaments!). It looked like it was curtains for
Glover...
But Glover comes back at the end to tie it! We head to a playoff!
And, shockingly, Cantlay kind of choked on the first playoff hole,
allowing Glover to win with an easy par putt.
First time a golfer has won back-to-back tournaments in like 3
years, and first time a 40+-year-old has done it in over a decade!!

Twisted Metal (Peacock) - First 4 episodes. This wasn't as good as I was
hoping, but was still pretty enjoyable.
I very much liked the episode with Sweet Tooth the Clown, and I
liked the backstory on Agent Stone (Thomas Haden Church).
Hmmm... Anthony Mackie is starting to look a little old! :(
Anyway, this was entertaining enough, and I will certainly stick
with it.

Trapped in the Cabin (Lifetime) - What I liked about this one is that it
seemed to throw the usual 'beats' of a Lifetime flick out the window -
for example, in most Lifetime flicks, nothing really happens in the
first hour, but this flick wastes no time in getting our heroine in
peril, even before the one-hour mark hits. They also dispose of the
"white knight" shockingly early.
Tiffany Smith (who probably wants to stop being known as "TV's Megan
Markle" as fast as possible!!) stars as a romance author who is sent to
a remote cabin to do some writing. But, once there, it becomes clear
pretty quickly that someone is stalking her.
The "revelation" in this is hardly surprising, but I was kept
somewhat off balance by the film not following the "Lifetime formula",
so I was never quite sure where it was going.
So, I guess that's a plus.

Extraction (Tubi) - No, not the 2020 Liam Hemsworth Netflix film - this
is the 2015 Bruce Willis/Kellan Lutz/Gina Carano flick.
I mark this film as the *definite first entry* in the latter-day
"sucky Bruce Willis flicks". Even "Vice", which came out the same year
and which has some things in common with the later "bad" Bruce Willis
flicks, has some thing to recommend it.
But "Extraction" has pretty much everything in common with later
Willis crappy films like "Fortress" or "Gasoline Alley" - it's just
poorly-made junk.
So, really, there was no reason for Willis to have done a film like
this, unless something else was going on. IOW, I think around the time
of "Vice", this, and 2016's "Precious Cargo" (which I haven't seen yet),
Willis must have gotten some kind of "diagnosis" which changed his
career trajectory from then on.
This flick is a "spy" film, and the only thing to recommend it is
that it has a fairly decent cast of Willis, Lutz, Carano and D.B.
Sweeney (that puts is slightly above later Willis flicks like "Survive
the Game" or "Out of Death" which have even lower-rung casts).
But the script is absolute garbage IMO - this is about as low budget
as "spy" flicks get!
Interestingly, this film sports what may be the "best" Gina Carano
performance I've ever seen - she's not just "bad-ass robot girl" in
this: she actually has "range"!!... I also enjoyed D.B. Sweeney here.
Willis, meanwhile, is barely in this, and phones in his performance
when he is onscreen. This is well before Willis' serious decline ("Once
Upon a Time in Venice", which was also filmed in 2015, showed that
Willis "still had it" at this time), so it's not "mental decline" that
explains the performance - I think, instead, it is just that Willis
didn't want to be there, in *this film*, and so just phones in his
performance.
I don't recommend this one, unless you want to see maybe the "best"
Gina Carano performance of them all...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<ubdtmr$2eg91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198462&group=rec.arts.tv#198462

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:11:21 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:11 UTC

On 8/14/2023 7:44 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> Stargate: SG-1 S9E12 'Collateral Damage' - DVD
> "The Galarans visit the SGC to demonstrate a new learning tool they have
> developed. They have found a way to to graft memories - and the person's
> expert knowledge - from one person to another. The Pentagon thinks it
> could cut pilot training, for example, to just a few days and are
> definitely interested. Sam believes the Galarans are more than likely
> interested in acquiring arms in return and SG-1 is dispatched to the
> planet to see what they can learn. Mitchell spends the night with the
> scientist in charge of the project, Reya Varrick, but when she is found
> dead Mitchell is arrested - and he admits to having memories of having
> killed her. Mitchell is certain he didn't kill her and demands a
> complete investigation."
> (Actually, the Galarans never come to Earth.)
>
> Major General Hank Landry: I read your report. Not sure I've ever seen
> language like that used in an official Air Force document before.
>
> Trivia: In the original story idea it was to be Teal'c charged with a
> crime he didn't commit. As Teal'c already had a significant story arc
> for the season, it was changed to Mitchell to explore Mitchell's past.
> The main computer terminal which is used in the alien lab is the same
> terminal that Samantha Carter uses in Revisions (2003).
>
> Commentary: Director William Waring and DP Peter Woeste.  They used
> large (20 foot diameter) helium balloons to light the nighttime party
> scene.  Apparently a lot of fans were upset about Col. Mitchell
> "Kirking" the other world's female scientist.  First time I've heard of
> "Kirking" to describe a main character romancing a guest star.  O_o

+1.

> [...]
> assets in this undertaking. Well, good luck to you all.
>     [beams out]
>     Dr. Daniel Jackson: I miss Thor.
>
>     Alternate Cameron Mitchell: [One of the alternate Mitchell's is
> about to return to his reality through the stargate, but pauses and
> turns to address "original" Mitchell] Hey Mitchell, when the time comes,
> cut the green one!
>
> Trivia: Regarding the Asgard, Mitchell tells Carter he would have
> expected pants. Coincidentally, later in the episode, Mitchell is also
> without pants.
>

> Commentary: EP/Writer Joseph Mallozzi, Visual Effects Producer Michelle
> Comens.  There was discussion about having Mitchell and Lam be in a
> relationship.  This was a Peter DeLuise directed episode and he isn't
> involved in the commentary, so it looks like they really did lock him

I watched:

The Wandering Earth 2 (Peacock) 2023 prequel to "The Wandering Earth."
The movie takes place in the near future after humanity has discovered
the sun will expand and destroy the Earth and every other planet in the
solar system. Some of the governments of the world want to save
humanity by constructing underground cities and building giant thrusters
to fly the Earth out of the solar system. But most people don't support
this idea and with secret backing from some governments organized
terrorist groups sabotage the efforts. There is also a sort of subplot
involving the alternative to moving the planet. Some people want to
further develop a technology that will allow people to download their
consciousness into digital form and exists virtually. This whole
virtual consciousness thing seemed a bit pointless since it didn't exist
in the first movie, but it was a key plot point in this one. One thing
they never addressed is even if digital existence worked, once the sun
engulfed the Earth they'd still die!

I started watching this on Amazon streaming but a few minutes into the
movie the audio switched to Chinese with no option for an English dub.
I switched over to Peacock where the movie streamed all the way through
with an English dub.

The Wandering Earth (Netflix streaming) 2019 sci-fi movie set in the
future where humanity has strapped giant rockets to the Earth and are
taking the planet out of the solar system to avoid being destroyed by an
expanding sun. At this point in the journey the Earth needs to
slingshot around Jupiter but due to an apparent miscalculation the Earth
is going to collide with Jupiter instead. I still get a kick out of a
scene where as Earth is about to crash into Jupiter a guy with a machine
gun shoots at the planet screaming, "Screw you Jupiter!" How can you
not like a movie with a scene like that? When the premise of your movie
involves building giant rockets to fly the planet through space and
there's a scene of a guy shooting at Jupiter because the planet is about
to crash into the surface, you're either all in or you're not. And I
*choose* to be all in!

Sunshine (blu-ray) 2007 sci-fi movie directed by Danny Boyle about a
spaceship sent from Earth to the sun to restart the sun before it dies
and wipes out all life on Earth. The all-star cast includes Cillian
Murphy, Chris Evans, and Michelle Yeoh. I watched with a commentary
track from the film's science advisor, Dr. Brian Cox. The movie was
mostly background noise. But Cox's science lecture was interesting. He
does a deep dive into both the movie and the science behind it, pointing
out what the movie got right and what the movie got wrong. Well, the
movie got most things wrong, but Cox's explanations made for a very good
listen.

Moonfall (4K disc) 2022 sci-fi movie written and directed by Roland
Emmerich. Just as Earth is finally safe from the sun, now Earth needs
to be saved from the moon crashing into the planet. Fortunately, Halley
Berry and Patrick Wilson is there to save the day. I watched with the
commentary. The movie was dumb, but there were some interesting bits on
the commentary. They filmed the movie during COVID which caused all
sorts of problems. One of the problems was Stanley Tucci was cast in
the role Michael Peña played but the night before Tucci was supposed to
fly to the set they closed the airport. So in a scramble Emmerich got
on the phone with Berry's manager and asked if he had any actors who
could show up on set at a moment's notice (and would also have to miss
spending the holidays with their family) and fortunately for them
Michael Peña was available. But outside of stories like that the rest
of the commentary was junk when compared to the Brian Cox commentary. I
mean I went for an actual astrophysicist discussing science to Roland
Emmerich explaining how when Earth loses gravity and stuff starts to
float away a car will stay on the ground if it's moving because of
traction. I think a piece of my soul died when I heard him say that!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<ubdu91$2ehtv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198463&group=rec.arts.tv#198463

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 12:11:30 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 19:11 UTC

On 8/14/2023 11:11 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> [...]
> sorts of problems.  One of the problems was Stanley Tucci was cast in
> the role Michael Peña played but the night before Tucci was supposed to
> fly to the set they closed the airport.  So in a scramble Emmerich got
> on the phone with Berry's manager and asked if he had any actors who
> could show up on set at a moment's notice (and would also have to miss
> spending the holidays with their family) and fortunately for them
> Michael Peña was available.  But outside of stories like that the rest
> of the commentary was junk when compared to the Brian Cox commentary.  I
> mean I went for an actual astrophysicist discussing science to Roland
> Emmerich explaining how when Earth loses gravity and stuff starts to
> float away a car will stay on the ground if it's moving because of
> traction.  I think a piece of my soul died when I heard him say that!

So this was the very first Roland Emmerich movie you've seen? :P

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<154376218.713727397.773832.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198469&group=rec.arts.tv#198469

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 14:50:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 21:50 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
> But the script is absolute garbage IMO - this is about as low budget
> as "spy" flicks get!
> Interestingly, this film sports what may be the "best" Gina Carano
> performance I've ever seen - she's not just "bad-ass robot girl" in
> this: she actually has "range"!!... I also enjoyed D.B. Sweeney here.
> Willis, meanwhile, is barely in this, and phones in his performance
> when he is onscreen. This is well before Willis' serious decline ("Once
> Upon a Time in Venice", which was also filmed in 2015, showed that
> Willis "still had it" at this time), so it's not "mental decline" that
> explains the performance - I think, instead, it is just that Willis
> didn't want to be there, in *this film*, and so just phones in his
> performance.
> I don't recommend this one, unless you want to see maybe the "best"

And yet the Venn diagram still has a solid circle for “bad Gina Carano
projects“

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<553250300.713760039.375014.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198485&group=rec.arts.tv#198485

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 20:26:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 03:26 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 8/14/2023 7:44 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>
>> Stargate: SG-1 S9E12 'Collateral Damage' - DVD
>> "The Galarans visit the SGC to demonstrate a new learning tool they have
>> developed. They have found a way to to graft memories - and the person's
>> expert knowledge - from one person to another. The Pentagon thinks it
>> could cut pilot training, for example, to just a few days and are
>> definitely interested. Sam believes the Galarans are more than likely
>> interested in acquiring arms in return and SG-1 is dispatched to the
>> planet to see what they can learn. Mitchell spends the night with the
>> scientist in charge of the project, Reya Varrick, but when she is found
>> dead Mitchell is arrested - and he admits to having memories of having
>> killed her. Mitchell is certain he didn't kill her and demands a
>> complete investigation."
>> (Actually, the Galarans never come to Earth.)
>>
>> Major General Hank Landry: I read your report. Not sure I've ever seen
>> language like that used in an official Air Force document before.
>>
>> Trivia: In the original story idea it was to be Teal'c charged with a
>> crime he didn't commit. As Teal'c already had a significant story arc
>> for the season, it was changed to Mitchell to explore Mitchell's past.
>> The main computer terminal which is used in the alien lab is the same
>> terminal that Samantha Carter uses in Revisions (2003).
>>
>> Commentary: Director William Waring and DP Peter Woeste.  They used
>> large (20 foot diameter) helium balloons to light the nighttime party
>> scene.  Apparently a lot of fans were upset about Col. Mitchell
>> "Kirking" the other world's female scientist.  First time I've heard of
>> "Kirking" to describe a main character romancing a guest star.  O_o

Rikering would seem to be more appropriate.

> +1.
>
>> End of the disc, so extras.  First is a featurette about the Special
>> Effects department.  First they gove over, several times, the difference
>> between "special effects" and "visual effects".  "Special" something
>> physically done on set.  Explosions, bubbling witch's cauldrons, remote
>> doors, etc.  "Visual" being the computer work, matte and background
>> paintings and such done "after the fact" of filming (or before the fact
>> or whatever).  Stuff not in front of a camera.  And Anim will now tell
>> us about how they got it all wrong.

No, that’s the Canadian definition.

:P  Mostly they covered how they
>> blow things up without actually blowing up anyone in the crew or cast
>> and how they burned Claudia Black for being a witch.  Peter DeLuise
>> thinks actors act better when you light them on fire or blow them up.
>> Then a BTS featurette about the episode 'Prototype' (the 'Silence of the
>> Lambs' ripoff) with DeLuise.  DeLuise likes to laugh at stunt people
>> getting hurt.

That’s just wrong.

>> --------------
>>
>> Stargate: SG-1 S9E13 'Ripple Effect' - DVD

How many times during the making of this episode, do you suppose somebody
said “nipple effect“ and giggled like a schoolgirl? There should be a timer
clicking off like with cinema sins.

>> "SG-1 returns early from a mission only to realize that they and Gen.
>> Landry aren't on the same page as far as the the mission they've just
>> completed is concerned. The confusion is quickly resolved when the
>> "real" SG-1 returns at the correct time. Dr. Lam examines them all and
>> concludes that they are identical and thinks they might be clones. Sam
>> however thinks they may have come from a parallel universe as the result
>> of the black hole they created when they destroyed the Ori beachhead. As
>> more SG-1 teams arrive from other alternate universes, one of them
>> includes Dr. Fraiser and another includes the Tok'ra Martouf. It's left
>> to Sam and Martouf to find a way to send them all home."

Why wouldn’t you keep Fraser and Martouf the same way Janeway kept the
spare Harry Kim after she got the original killed?

>>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: As we discussed the situation we realized
>> we could pinpoint the source of the phenomenon to a precise window.
>> Specifically the interim journey between the two gates.
>>     Cameron Mitchell: Did she just say "we"?
>>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: Pardon me?
>>     Dr. Daniel Jackson: She said we. You said we?
>>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: Ah, me and... myself, I suppose. The
>> other Samantha Carter.
>>     Cameron Mitchell: Right, finally someone who can keep up with you.
>>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: [Smiling] Yep!
>>
>>     Kvasir: The perilous nature of this mission should not be taken
>> lightly. There is a chance that the Prometheus may not survive this
>> voyage. But courage and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable
>> assets in this undertaking. Well, good luck to you all.
>>     [beams out]
>>     Dr. Daniel Jackson: I miss Thor.
>>
>>     Alternate Cameron Mitchell: [One of the alternate Mitchell's is
>> about to return to his reality through the stargate, but pauses and
>> turns to address "original" Mitchell] Hey Mitchell, when the time comes,
>> cut the green one!
>>
>> Trivia: Regarding the Asgard, Mitchell tells Carter he would have
>> expected pants. Coincidentally, later in the episode, Mitchell is also
>> without pants.
>>

>> Commentary: EP/Writer Joseph Mallozzi, Visual Effects Producer Michelle
>> Comens.  There was discussion about having Mitchell and Lam be in a
>> relationship.

Talk about your nipple effects!

This was a Peter DeLuise directed episode and he isn't
>> involved in the commentary, so it looks like they really did lock him
>> out of doing commentaries.

The stunt people are probably giving him atomic wedgies somewhere.

>> What Did You Watch?
>>

> I watched:
>

> The Wandering Earth 2 (Peacock) 2023 prequel to "The Wandering Earth."
> The movie takes place in the near future after humanity has discovered
> the sun will expand and destroy the Earth and every other planet in the
> solar system. Some of the governments of the world want to save
> humanity by constructing underground cities and building giant thrusters
> to fly the Earth out of the solar system.

There was some big stupid in the subtitles, but I have no idea if it was
actually in the script or the translation, or just the subtitles or what.
They explained that 5000 of the engines in the northern hemisphere were
just used to stop the Earth from rotating. The other 5000 engines in the
southern hemisphere were apparently used for propulsion. Of course, that’s
not anything like what they showed.

But most people don't support
> this idea and with secret backing from some governments organized
> terrorist groups sabotage the efforts. There is also a sort of subplot
> involving the alternative to moving the planet. Some people want to
> further develop a technology that will allow people to download their
> consciousness into digital form and exists virtually. This whole
> virtual consciousness thing seemed a bit pointless since it didn't exist
> in the first movie, but it was a key plot point in this one. One thing
> they never addressed is even if digital existence worked, once the sun
> engulfed the Earth they'd still die!

Yeah, that was a problem, wasn’t it?

See my sub rant elsewhere to them wanting to adopt this plan on the Hulu
hardy boys. Also, without noticing everyone will be dead within a week.

Got it
> I started watching this on Amazon streaming but a few minutes into the
> movie the audio switched to Chinese with no option for an English dub.
> I switched over to Peacock where the movie streamed all the way through
> with an English dub.

I wish I’d known that. Well, maybe.
The prime version goes back-and-forth between English and Chinese depending
on what language they are speaking in the scene. But there are always
English subs.
I ended up, not paying a lot of attention when they were speaking Chinese.
Maybe if I watched it your way, I have understood more of what was
happening.

OK you must have Peacock premium plus prime. They told me I’d have to pay
to watch it.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<ubg2qm$2s1vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198532&group=rec.arts.tv#198532

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:40:30 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:40 UTC

On 8/14/2023 8:26 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
> clicking off like with cinema sins.
>

>>> "SG-1 returns early from a mission only to realize that they and Gen.
>>> Landry aren't on the same page as far as the the mission they've just
>>> completed is concerned. The confusion is quickly resolved when the
>>> "real" SG-1 returns at the correct time. Dr. Lam examines them all and
>>> concludes that they are identical and thinks they might be clones. Sam
>>> however thinks they may have come from a parallel universe as the result
>>> of the black hole they created when they destroyed the Ori beachhead. As
>>> more SG-1 teams arrive from other alternate universes, one of them
>>> includes Dr. Fraiser and another includes the Tok'ra Martouf. It's left
>>> to Sam and Martouf to find a way to send them all home."
>>>

> Why wouldn’t you keep Fraser and Martouf the same way Janeway kept the
> spare Harry Kim after she got the original killed?

Wasn't there some issue where they had to send everyone back? Plus they
probably wanted to return to their own universes.

> [...]
> hardy boys. Also, without noticing everyone will be dead within a week.
>
> Got it
>> I started watching this on Amazon streaming but a few minutes into the
>> movie the audio switched to Chinese with no option for an English dub.
>> I switched over to Peacock where the movie streamed all the way through
>> with an English dub.
>
> I wish I’d known that. Well, maybe.
> The prime version goes back-and-forth between English and Chinese depending
> on what language they are speaking in the scene. But there are always
> English subs.
> I ended up, not paying a lot of attention when they were speaking Chinese.
> Maybe if I watched it your way, I have understood more of what was
> happening.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<atropos-53282A.11511315082023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198547&group=rec.arts.tv#198547

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 11:51:13 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 18:51 UTC

In article <ubg2qm$2s1vi$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 8/14/2023 8:26 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> > You should really have watched this along with THE CORE.

> I never considered the Core. I rented the movie when it first came out
> and didn't care for it.

It's pretty stupid but it does have a great score. One of those movies
where the film doesn't deserve the quality of the music it received,
like JAWS 2.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<175423419.713810594.045851.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198563&group=rec.arts.tv#198563

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:38:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 21:38 UTC

<ubgv0p$30a07$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198576&group=rec.arts.tv#198576

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:42:35 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:42 UTC

On 8/15/2023 2:38 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Rikering would seem to be more appropriate.

>>> No, that’s the Canadian definition.
>>>

>>> :P  Mostly they covered how they
>>>
>>> That’s just wrong.

>>> How many times during the making of this episode, do you suppose somebody
>>> said “nipple effect“ and giggled like a schoolgirl? There should be a timer
>>> clicking off like with cinema sins.

>>> Why wouldn’t you keep Fraser and Martouf the same way Janeway kept the
>>> spare Harry Kim after she got the original killed?
>>>

>> Wasn't there some issue where they had to send everyone back? Plus they
>> probably wanted to return to their own universes.

Besides the fact that the first "extra" SG-1 came there deliberately to
steal the ZPM from Atlantis? How about one universe just can't contain
the awesomeness that is SG-1 eighteen times over! :P Mostly they
wanted to go back to their native universes.

> [...]
>> available to stream for free and it was never released on blu-ray. I'd
>> love to see it again, especially in the proper 2.39:1 aspect ratio since
>> I only ever watched it on TV full frame.
>
> I’ve seen that! It was like the worst Tom Swift adventure until The CW.
>
> The first time I saw THE CORE was on TV full frame. I was laughing so hard
> that I turned it off about 20 minutes in and ordered the DVD. It turned out
> that wide screen. It wasn’t nearly as hilarious.
>

>>> before it dies
>>>
>>> And rockstar!
>>>

>> I saw him once live in concert. :-)
>
> Wow
>

>>> Dr. Brian Cox. The movie was

>>> “All Republicans are Nazis“ – the Mandalorian
>>>

>> Actually Prince was portrayed more as a liberal.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-13 (Sunday)

<187113825.713833789.196511.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198579&group=rec.arts.tv#198579

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:12:39 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 23:12 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/15/2023 2:38 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Wasn't there some issue where they had to send everyone back? Plus they
>>> probably wanted to return to their own universes.
>>>
> Besides the fact that the first "extra" SG-1 came there deliberately to
> steal the ZPM from Atlantis? How about one universe just can't contain
> the awesomeness that is SG-1 eighteen times over! :P Mostly they
> wanted to go back to their native universes.

Shirley there must be a Fraser from a horrible universe where the Gould won
who could use a new home.