Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 04:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ignorance And Satan
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 11:03 UTC

There are two kinds of wrongdoing: deliberate and non-deliberate. The first is a result of wilfully wrong choice. The second is a result of a lack of knowledge and wisdom.

In the Western civilization, there are two main views as to what causes evil. One is the Greek influence that claimed that evil was ignorance. The other is the Christian influence that claims that evil comes from Satan – an intelligent entity bent on wrongdoing. In the first case we see lack of intelligence; in the second case we see a malevolent intelligence. Both of the above can lead to wrong things being done.

To counteract wrongdoing therefore it is necessary to pursue both righteousness and knowledge. Righteousness without knowledge leads to ignorant and bigoted action; knowledge without righteousness leads to unethical conduct. Having both corrects potentials for both deliberate and non-deliberate wrongdoing. Righteousness corrects potentials for wrongdoing deliberate. Knowledge corrects potentials for wrongdoing non-deliberate.

A person coming from an ignorant position needs to be met with knowledge, and a person coming from an unethical position needs to be met with righteousness. In both cases we see potential sources of evil. In the first case we see ignorance and in the second case we see unrighteousness. Either can lead to wrongdoing, and both need to be checked.

So it is important to encourage both pursuit of knowledge and pursuit of righteousness. In both cases we see people acquiring tools that are necessary to counteract the main sources of wrongdoing. The first stops undeliberate wrongdoing and the second stops deliberate wrongdoing. The outcome is that of all wrongdoing being countered and better decisions being made all across the board