Chaos is King and Magic is loose in the world.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business

SubjectAuthor
* Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10anim8rfsk
`* Re: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonuschromebook test
 `- Re: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many Asanim8rfsk

1
Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business

<2099406904.713997522.887528.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198823&group=rec.arts.tv#198823

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10
Bonus DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:42:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:42 UTC

https://deadline.com/2023/08/netflix-to-ship-10-dvds-to-customers-before-business-shuts-down-1235521799/

Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End
Credits Roll On Disc Business

Business
By Dade Hayes
August 17, 2023 1:08pm
Netflix
Netflix's DVD business, the initial foundation of the company when it
launched in 1997, is sending customers discs before it shuts down in
September.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

As Netflix gets ready to mark the end of an era, it is sending customers
some parting gifts.

The company said it will ship subscribers to its DVD plan as many as 10
discs (taken from their queues) before the division halts operations on
September 29. Subscribers need only to sign up for the promotion by the end
of this month, though opting in doesn’t appear to be a guarantee of getting
extra discs. The goods do need to be returned, however, along with any
other outstanding DVDs by October 27.

In an email to customers that was also posted to Reddit, Netflix noted the
surprise element. “You won’t know if any extra envelopes are headed your
way until they arrive in your mailbox!” the company wrote. (Read the full
message below.)

Collider first took note of the disc plan.

When Netflix opened its doors in 1997, its core innovation was mailing DVDs
to customers based on selections they put in their online queues. At the
time, the setup posed a significant disruption to the practices of
brick-and-mortar businesses like Blockbuster, which required customers to
rent discs in person on a per-title basis. In addition to emphasizing the
online experience, in a move perfectly timed to the rise of the DVD format
and increased high-speed internet penetration, Netflix also charged
subscribers a flat fee per month. They could keep a set number of discs at
a given time without incurring late fees.

By 2008, the DVD business was already showing signs of decline and the
company that year debuted the streaming option for a limited number of
library film and TV titles. By 2012, the company was making its own
originals and the rest is entertainment history.

Having physical discs is more rare in 2023 and, for the hardcore disc crowd
on Netflix, it costs $19.99 a month along with streaming. In many ways,
though, physical copies of films and TV series have only gained importance,
at least to cinephiles and entertainment buffs if not to the broader
marketplace. The onset of the streaming era has ushered in a non-stop
series of licensing cycles, meaning titles come and go from circulation at
various times. It is possible, as some observers have noted of Netflix’s
disc giveaway, that the streaming giant’s gesture could enable customers to
see certain titles that are unavailable on streaming services.

Here’s the full email to customers:

After 25 years of movies in the mail, we’re approaching the end of our
final season. We really appreciate that you’re sharing movie nights with us
until the last day.

Let’s have some fun for our finale!

If you click below by August 29th, you could find up to 10 extra discs in
your mailbox. These finale discs will be sent out on September 29th, our
very last shipping day. You won’t know if any extra envelopes are headed
your way until they arrive in your mailbox!

U.S. only. Limited quantity. While supplies last.

Don’t forget to review your queue and move your must-watch movies to the
top.

We wish you happy viewing and truly thank you for being part of our final
season. Enjoy each and every red envelope.

–The Netflix DVD team

Re: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business

<010abc7d-d40a-48da-8598-9af5301230d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198847&group=rec.arts.tv#198847

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 15:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus
DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 22:22 UTC

On Thursday, August 17, 2023 at 4:42:07 PM UTC-4, anim8rfsk wrote:
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/netflix-to-ship-10-dvds-to-customers-before-business-shuts-down-1235521799/
>
> Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End
> Credits Roll On Disc Business

The Netflix DVD team

In the face of easy, instant access via streaming, consumers were simply all too happy to sacrifice comprehensiveness. We traded in a library of 100,000 titles for one that currently has less than 4,000—and we’re never going to get the former back.

For movie lovers, there’s a darker side to Netflix ending DVD rentals
By Ty Burr April 21, 2023
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/04/21/netflix-dvd-rentals-movies-forgotten-streaming/

tags: have you set up a PLEX server yet?
https://www.vice.com/en/article/zmd4ea/forget-netflix-inside-the-forums-where-people-share-obscure-pirated-movies

-------------

Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice

thepiratebay.org

yo-ho yo-ho mutherphorkers!

Re: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business

<1032081141.714008242.093571.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=198852&group=rec.arts.tv#198852

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Robin sez Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As
10 Bonus DVDs Before The End Credits Roll On Disc Business
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:15:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 00:15 UTC

chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 17, 2023 at 4:42:07 PM UTC-4, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> https://deadline.com/2023/08/netflix-to-ship-10-dvds-to-customers-before-business-shuts-down-1235521799/
>>

>> Netflix Subscribers Could Be Sent As Many As 10 Bonus DVDs Before The End
>> Credits Roll On Disc Business
>

> The Netflix DVD team
> The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.
>
> In the face of easy, instant access via streaming, consumers were simply
> all too happy to sacrifice comprehensiveness. We traded in a library of
> 100,000 titles for one that currently has less than 4,000—and we’re never
> going to get the former back.
>

> For movie lovers, there’s a darker side to Netflix ending DVD rentals
> By Ty Burr April 21, 2023
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/04/21/netflix-dvd-rentals-movies-forgotten-streaming/
>

> tags: have you set up a PLEX server yet?
> https://www.vice.com/en/article/zmd4ea/forget-netflix-inside-the-forums-where-people-share-obscure-pirated-movies

I ran Plex on my PS3 until they told me they weren’t supporting it anymore
and I had to get a PS five. Bye-bye Plex.