From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: {OT] Trudeau gets a rare hard-ball question
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:13:59 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 01:13 UTC

Someone actually asked Trudeau a hard-ball question today about whether
he should resign and let the Liberals install a new leader before the
next election. Watch him deliver his standard word-salad instead of
answering the question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e88C7atdiY [2 minutes]

He NEVER answers questions: he ALWAYS delivers talking points that evade
the question. See why so many of us hate him?

--
Rhino

Re: {OT] Trudeau gets a rare hard-ball question

<GsVEM.861736$GMN3.664085@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199376&group=rec.arts.tv#199376

Subject: Re: {OT] Trudeau gets a rare hard-ball question
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:55:33 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:55 UTC

On 8/21/2023 9:13 PM, Rhino wrote:
> Someone actually asked Trudeau a hard-ball question today about whether
> he should resign and let the Liberals install a new leader before the
> next election. Watch him deliver his standard word-salad instead of
> answering the question:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e88C7atdiY [2 minutes]
>
> He NEVER answers questions: he ALWAYS delivers talking points that evade
> the question. See why so many of us hate him?

Asking *any* politician if he should resign isn't a "hard-ball
question", it's an unprofessional taunt wearing bad makeup.

Re: {OT] Trudeau gets a rare hard-ball question

<atropos-0CE2EA.20171621082023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199377&group=rec.arts.tv#199377

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 20:17:16 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 03:17 UTC

In article <GsVEM.861736$GMN3.664085@fx16.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 8/21/2023 9:13 PM, Rhino wrote:
> > Someone actually asked Trudeau a hard-ball question today about whether
> > he should resign and let the Liberals install a new leader before the
> > next election. Watch him deliver his standard word-salad instead of
> > answering the question:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e88C7atdiY [2 minutes]
> >
> > He NEVER answers questions: he ALWAYS delivers talking points that evade
> > the question. See why so many of us hate him?
>
> Asking *any* politician if he should resign isn't a "hard-ball
> question", it's an unprofessional taunt wearing bad makeup.

Why is it per se unprofessional given that there are many occasions when
a politician *should* resign?

Would asking Nixon at the end if he should resign have been a taunt?

Re: {OT] Trudeau gets a rare hard-ball question

<msf8eite7qgmoi00iq2lsqsec076a4jjh0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199379&group=rec.arts.tv#199379

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:13:04 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:13 UTC

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:55:33 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>On 8/21/2023 9:13 PM, Rhino wrote:
>> Someone actually asked Trudeau a hard-ball question today about whether
>> he should resign and let the Liberals install a new leader before the
>> next election. Watch him deliver his standard word-salad instead of
>> answering the question:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e88C7atdiY [2 minutes]
>>
>> He NEVER answers questions: he ALWAYS delivers talking points that evade
>> the question. See why so many of us hate him?
>
>Asking *any* politician if he should resign isn't a "hard-ball
>question", it's an unprofessional taunt wearing bad makeup.

Heh heh - actually in Canada it's been at least 50 years since any
sitting prime minister has been elected to a 4th term (contiguous or
non-contiguous including wartime) and Justin Trudeau is well into his
third term and insists he will be leading his party into the next
election.

While I don't dispute your comment he would seeming to dragging his
own party into the abyss (which given I like Trudeau as much as the
typical Democrat liked Trump in October 2020 is just fine by me though
the months can't pass fast enough - he called the last election early
back in 2021 for no better reason that he wanted a majority - the
electorate said otherwise and gave the exact same results witihin 2 or
3 seats....)

That whole fixed term vs non-fixed term (up to a max of 4 years though
can be called up to 6 months in advance though 2 is more common) is
probably the biggest difference other than the fact that (a) we have
separate dates for federal vs provincial elections with each managing
their own and (b) elections are better organized to the degree that I
don't ever remember arriving at the polling station more than 1/2 hour
before I finished even during the pandemic (where the main difference
was that the line was longer because we were standing further apart)

Since we don't run multiple elections (e.g. national, state, county
etc) at the same time elections do get counted faster and voting times
are staggered between E and W coasts so that nation wide polls close
no more than 90 minutes apart which means early results mostly DON'T
come out while polls are still open on the west coast. I well remember
working one poll where our guys won 80-20 (might have been 75-25 but
anyhow something huge) where one guy stepped out during counting and
when our side was celebrating the count he said "I don't care - I've
called our HQ and the say we've won nation-wide!" which of course
completely took the wind out of our sails)

By the way, all Canadian votes are done on paper ballots though some
municipal elections have used scanners to count votes - if the scanner
was less than 99% certain it would route the ballot into a separate
container for hand counting. In that particular election it counted
roughly 40000 votes including one mayoral race, the council race (top
6 were elected) and 10-20 propositions all in about 90 minutes
including getting the results onto the municipal website

Of course the biggest difference in terms of election counting is that
unlike the US, except for in the Maritime provinces most Canadian
provinces run North-South except for in isolated areas (northern
Ontario and Quebec, the continental divide in the Rockies) which are
poorly populated.

Re: {OT] Trudeau gets a rare hard-ball question

<a6e3d877-e696-42ae-8e9f-bb3b72a3457fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199410&group=rec.arts.tv#199410

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: frank.le...@gmail.com (Rhino)
 by: Rhino - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 16:00 UTC

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 1:13:10 AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:55:33 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
> wrote:
> >On 8/21/2023 9:13 PM, Rhino wrote:
> >> Someone actually asked Trudeau a hard-ball question today about whether
> >> he should resign and let the Liberals install a new leader before the
> >> next election. Watch him deliver his standard word-salad instead of
> >> answering the question:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e88C7atdiY [2 minutes]
> >>
> >> He NEVER answers questions: he ALWAYS delivers talking points that evade
> >> the question. See why so many of us hate him?
> >
> >Asking *any* politician if he should resign isn't a "hard-ball
> >question", it's an unprofessional taunt wearing bad makeup.
> >

> Heh heh - actually in Canada it's been at least 50 years since any
> sitting prime minister has been elected to a 4th term (contiguous or
> non-contiguous including wartime) and Justin Trudeau is well into his
> third term and insists he will be leading his party into the next
> election.
>
> While I don't dispute your comment he would seeming to dragging his
> own party into the abyss (which given I like Trudeau as much as the
> typical Democrat liked Trump in October 2020 is just fine by me though
> the months can't pass fast enough - he called the last election early
> back in 2021 for no better reason that he wanted a majority - the
> electorate said otherwise and gave the exact same results witihin 2 or
> 3 seats....)
>
> That whole fixed term vs non-fixed term (up to a max of 4 years though
> can be called up to 6 months in advance though 2 is more common) is
> probably the biggest difference other than the fact that (a) we have
> separate dates for federal vs provincial elections with each managing
> their own and (b) elections are better organized to the degree that I
> don't ever remember arriving at the polling station more than 1/2 hour
> before I finished even during the pandemic (where the main difference
> was that the line was longer because we were standing further apart)
>
> Since we don't run multiple elections (e.g. national, state, county
> etc) at the same time elections do get counted faster and voting times
> are staggered between E and W coasts so that nation wide polls close
> no more than 90 minutes apart which means early results mostly DON'T
> come out while polls are still open on the west coast. I well remember
> working one poll where our guys won 80-20 (might have been 75-25 but
> anyhow something huge) where one guy stepped out during counting and
> when our side was celebrating the count he said "I don't care - I've
> called our HQ and the say we've won nation-wide!" which of course
> completely took the wind out of our sails)

I remember several elections where polls closed in Ontario at 8 PM, at which point I started watching election coverage. By 8:10 or 8:15, when the four westernmost provinces still had polls open, the network anchors were calling the election for one party or the other. Whatever happened west of Ontario couldn't conceivably change the outcome: the Liberals or Tories had still won and the western provinces only affected the final seat totals and which of their high-profile candidates were successful.

I absolutely understood the frustration of the western provinces with that. Even the networks got the hint and toyed with limiting their reporting until all the polls were closed but found that people were just going online to see the results immediately so they abandoned that. Eventually, they solved the problem by staggering voting hours so that it no longer seemed like a done deal as soon as polls in Ontario closed. Mind you, I'm not sure it made any real concrete difference in whether people voted out west or how they voted. Voter turnout is a few per cent lower every election with municipal elections having the lowest turnout of all and even the federal turnout rarely going much over 60% any more.

--
Rhino