From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: demise of the C-Wub
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:33:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:33 UTC

Having watched the finales of Nancy Drew and Riverdale, the C-Wub is now
dead, at least to me. Yes, I know a fourth season of Superman and Lois
with a greatly reduced main cast was ordered but I W/Qed it.

Everything else that's coming up is sports, reality shows that aren't
even theirs, foreign programming, or shows repurposed from other
networks.

It looks like they ordered one scripted tv series: The Librarians: The
Next Chapter.

Re: demise of the C-Wub

<3rbgeihpik022m8jr3co8c6c8iout0a458@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199598&group=rec.arts.tv#199598

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: demise of the C-Wub
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 00:36:23 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:36 UTC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:33:55 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>Having watched the finales of Nancy Drew and Riverdale, the C-Wub is now
>dead, at least to me. Yes, I know a fourth season of Superman and Lois
>with a greatly reduced main cast was ordered but I W/Qed it.

I think it is dead in the Philadelphia area. Apparently there's some
shuffling of stations going on so the prime time will be CBS shows,
with the CW shows shown on that same station starting at 11PM. I have
to imagine that will kill the ratings.

>Everything else that's coming up is sports, reality shows that aren't
>even theirs, foreign programming, or shows repurposed from other
>networks.
>
>It looks like they ordered one scripted tv series: The Librarians: The
>Next Chapter.

I'll check that out.

Re: demise of the C-Wub

<uc9dtj$3splq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199604&group=rec.arts.tv#199604

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 05:24:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 05:24 UTC

>Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:33:55 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:

>>Having watched the finales of Nancy Drew and Riverdale, the C-Wub is now
>>dead, at least to me. Yes, I know a fourth season of Superman and Lois
>>with a greatly reduced main cast was ordered but I W/Qed it.

>I think it is dead in the Philadelphia area. Apparently there's some
>shuffling of stations going on so the prime time will be CBS shows,
>with the CW shows shown on that same station starting at 11PM. I have
>to imagine that will kill the ratings.

WPSG is owned by CBS. All remaining CBS-owned CW-affiliated channels are
dropping their affiliation at the end of the month.

It says they are expanding local newscasts to fill the time, which
sounds expensive. These will not be simulcasts of newscasts on the main
CBS O&O.

https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/tv/cw-philly-57-tv-lineup-schedule-changes-sports-cbs-20230510.html

Nexstar owns WPHL-TV 17. It's currently a MyNetworkTV affiliate but that
affiliation gets dropped.

I didn't see anything that said that CW prime time would air late night.

>>Everything else that's coming up is sports, reality shows that aren't
>>even theirs, foreign programming, or shows repurposed from other
>>networks.

>>It looks like they ordered one scripted tv series: The Librarians: The
>>Next Chapter.

>I'll check that out.

I guess I will too.

Re: demise of the C-Wub

<ucag3g$2um4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199629&group=rec.arts.tv#199629

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:07:28 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:07 UTC

On 8/24/23 9:36 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:33:55 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Having watched the finales of Nancy Drew and Riverdale, the C-Wub is now
>> dead, at least to me. Yes, I know a fourth season of Superman and Lois
>> with a greatly reduced main cast was ordered but I W/Qed it.
>
> I think it is dead in the Philadelphia area.

In San Diego, Tenga owns both the CBS and CW stations. (The former local
CW station was out of Tijuana, and is now Spanish-language!) So, the CW
is a substation of the CBS affiliate - the latter is channel 8.1, with
the C-Wub being 8.2...

> Apparently there's some
> shuffling of stations going on so the prime time will be CBS shows,
> with the CW shows shown on that same station starting at 11PM. I have
> to imagine that will kill the ratings.
>
>> Everything else that's coming up is sports, reality shows that aren't
>> even theirs, foreign programming, or shows repurposed from other
>> networks.
>>
>> It looks like they ordered one scripted tv series: The Librarians: The
>> Next Chapter.
>
> I'll check that out.

Re: demise of the C-Wub

<ucaggc$334h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199630&group=rec.arts.tv#199630

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:14:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:14 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 8/24/23 9:36 PM, shawn wrote:
>>Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:33:55 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:

>>>Having watched the finales of Nancy Drew and Riverdale, the C-Wub is now
>>>dead, at least to me. Yes, I know a fourth season of Superman and Lois
>>>with a greatly reduced main cast was ordered but I W/Qed it.

>>I think it is dead in the Philadelphia area.

>In San Diego, Tenga owns both the CBS and CW stations. (The former local
>CW station was out of Tijuana, and is now Spanish-language!) So, the CW
>is a substation of the CBS affiliate - the latter is channel 8.1, with
>the C-Wub being 8.2...

Then, it sounds like the CBS station group yanking every one of its CW
affiliations by the end of this month doesn't force a CBS affiliate that
isn't an O&O that also owns a CW affiliate to yank that.

CBS corporate wants nothing to do with Nexstar.

>>. . .

Re: demise of the C-Wub

<ucahmq$39cl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199633&group=rec.arts.tv#199633

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:34:50 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:34 UTC

On 8/25/23 8:14 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think it is dead in the Philadelphia area.
>
>> In San Diego, Tenga owns both the CBS and CW stations. (The former local
>> CW station was out of Tijuana, and is now Spanish-language!) So, the CW
>> is a substation of the CBS affiliate - the latter is channel 8.1, with
>> the C-Wub being 8.2...
>
> Then, it sounds like the CBS station group yanking every one of its CW
> affiliations by the end of this month doesn't force a CBS affiliate that
> isn't an O&O that also owns a CW affiliate to yank that.

Correct - CBS Corp. can't force Tenga, and others like that, do to squat.

> CBS corporate wants nothing to do with Nexstar.

And I don't blame them.

I think CBS and WBD still own 12.5% of the C-Wub, but imagine they will
sell their last stakes at the earliest available opportunity.