From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-24 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:32:13 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:32 UTC

Stargate SG-1 S10E05 'Uninvited' (Disc)
"On what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend at General O'Neill's
cabin, Samantha is in command at the SGC when Teal'c returns from
P9J-333 where people have been found slaughtered. She orders Teal'c and
Vala to accompany an SG team and see just what is going on. Once back on
the planet, they are attacked by some type of wild creature but manage
to destroy it. Soon after, however, a similar creature is discovered on
P2R-866, a planet that has already been converted by the Ori. The only
connection Carter can see is that the creature is appearing only on
planets visited by the SGC, and Carter thinks she knows what the problem
is. Meanwhile, General Landry and Lt. Col. Mitchell are the only ones at
the cabin - something Mitchell finds somewhat uncomfortable. They have
something more serious on their hands when a creature starts killing
people in the woods - much like the SG teams have encountered off-world."

Vala Mal Doran: The Sodan were using these devices for hundreds of
years. You'd think there'd at least be a label on the side in bold print
that says, "Beware, may cause deadly, extra-dimensional, radioactive,
monster-causing creature to appear." Or at least "Danger" would have
been nice.

Teal'c: It is ironic that not so long ago, the mere presence of the
Goa'uld on earth would have been cause for great concern.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: Seriously. Who'd ever think that we'd
have bigger fish to fry? Or that you'd use the word ironic in a sentence!
Teal'c: Indeed.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: A lot of activity out here, sir.
Major General Hank Landry: I told you, the last thing we need is
for this place to turn into the O.K. Corral.
[shots fired in the distance]
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Or a vice-presidential bird hunt.
(*snicker*)

Vala Mal Doran: You know what's strange? I have never known a lone
creature to behave so aggressively toward a large group. Mind you, I've
never encountered a radioactive mutant before.

Major General Hank Landry: We got a bunch of drunken hunters out
there all hyped up looking for revenge and glory.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: So are we siding with the hunters, or
the bear?
(I say the bear.)

Trivia: Several of the equipment units in the command tent are actually
vintage (50's) Hewlett Packard signal generators with cool blue lights
added.
While Lt. Col. Mitchell and Gen. Landry are out on the hunt for the
unknown predator Landry says, "the last thing we need is for this to
turn into the OK Corral," referring to an old western shootout. Mitchell
says, "or a Vice-Presidential bird hunt," referring to the infamous
hunting excursion where Dick Cheney shot a fellow member of his hunting
party.

Commentary! Director William Waring, DP Jim Menard. (I swear, those
names sound familiar.) There is also a "Loren" sitting in the corner
quietly. The choice of Mitchell's car (1966 Mustang 2 + 2 Fastback) was
a subject of much discussion. As was the amount of gore that they
needed to show. It had to be enough for the way the redshirts got
killed but not enough to trigger Standards & Practices. They ran their
steadi-cam operator ragged with two cameras and a stand. So he'd use
one, put it in the stand and grab the other all day without much of a
break. The stand-in for the alien bug was "Mr. Hankie". O_o They are
running out of woods to film in as all their locations keep getting
developed. "Chris Judge with three women on set. Its amazing we ever
shot anything." o_O Waring was slack with his pineappleing this
season. Waring thinks the monster is like a real evil piece of bubblegum.

--------------------

Stargate SG-1 S10E06 '200' (Disc)
"The SG-1 team is once again reunited with Marty Lloyd, creator of the
short-lived Wormhole X-Treme. television series. This time, Marty is
planning a major motion picture and who better to ask for an opinion on
the script than SG-1, on whom the story is loosely - very loosely -
based. As they go through the script, they see themselves acting out
many of the parts or making proposals that will give "their" character a
more prominent role. Marty, meanwhile, is having to deal with his own
issues including financing and getting actors under contract."

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Never underestimate your audience. They're
generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to
quality entertainment.

[in the Farscape sequence]
Vala Mal Doran: [as Aeryn Sun] Call me fahrbot, but they're gonna
have our mivonks on a platter if we don't Starburst the draz out of here.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: [as Crichton] The cluster's been damaged. We're
not goin' anywhere.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: [as Chiana] Oh, dren.
Teal'c: [as Ka D'Argo] Hezmana!
Vala Mal Doran: [as Aeryn Sun] Frell.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: [as Stark] Son of a hasmot!
Asgard: [as Dominar Rygel XVI] Yotz!

Dr. Daniel Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only
lasted three episodes?
Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD.

General George S. Hammond: [as a puppet] Alright people, we created this
multi-billion dollar facility under Cheyenne Mountain, so that we can
use this thing. Anyone know how?

Wormhole X-Treme Replacement Actor: And I had to do something...
even better... to... make you forget... the guy the fans loved to watch
for the first seven years of the show! I know he was here for eight, but
uh... a lot of people say he just kinda... phoned it in that... that
last season.
[obvious dig on Richard Dean Anderson's departure]

Martin Lloyd: I'm talking about... a twist!... Something nobody's
expecting
Major General Jack O'Neill: You mean, something like this?
[O'Neill is standing in the doorway waving]
Vala Mal Doran: Wow... Don't think anybody will see that coming
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Nope! There'll be spoilers
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: You kidding? It'll be in the commercial

Martin Lloyd: They can't leave! They haven't finished reading my
script!
Major General Hank Landry: That's funny, I thought it said
"General" on my uniform.
(He points to the stars on his shoulder as he says that.)

General George S. Hammond: Sergeant, make it spin.
Chief Mst Sgt. Walter Harriman: Spin? Sir, it doesn't spin.
General George S. Hammond: What? It has to spin. It's round.
Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the General. I want it
to spin. Now!

Major General Hank Landry: Hey Walter!... C'mon! We're all going!
Chief Mst Sgt. Walter Harriman: [who's never gone through the gate]
I don't have the right outfit!
Major General Jack O'Neill: You look fine
[Walter runs down in his regular uniform, yet emerges in full
mission gear]

Colonel Jack O'Neill: I thought I told you I retired!
General George S. Hammond: Oh. I thought you said you were tired.

Trivia: After season ten of Wormhole X-Treme!, Marty says their movie is
back on. Following the final episode of season ten, the Stargate SG-1
(1997) storylines were brought to a close in two films, Stargate: The
Ark of Truth (2008) and Stargate: Continuum (2008), both direct-to-video
releases.
The recap of previous episodes that opens the episode contains scenes of
SG-1 meeting the Furlings, something that never happened in the series.
Marty's cell phone ring is the theme song from the "Wormhole X-Treme!"
series within the series.
The Wizard of Oz (1939) segment was conceived with Sam Carter in the
role of Dorothy. This was changed to Vala when it was pointed out that
she wears braids just like Judy Garland in the movie. Sam plays Glinda
instead.
The comments made during the Wormhole X-Treme! cast interviews parody
actual events from the ten-year run of Stargate SG-1 (1997).

(Something never mentioned anywhere, this is the episode where we see
Furlings. ;) ) They tie the episode title in to the story by making
this Mitchell's 200th trip thru the Stargate.

Commentary! Again. EPs Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper AND another one
by Director/Supervising Producer Martin Wood. Brad Wright's first
commentary. Wright and Cooper admit the episode was written to please
the writers. RDA wore the green suit to be the invisible O'Neill that
existed because they didn't think RDA was going to be in the episode.
The original Furlings were Ewoks. Discussion lead to literally
photo-shopping a koala head onto an Ewok body as the concept art. The
worst note a writer can get is "Funnier?" Moving on to Martin Wood's
commentary, the script the characters were editing was the actual script
of the episode. He reiterates several times that everything in the
episode was an inside joke. Wood goes more with the technical again,
about how different sequences had to have different looks and styles.
Peter DeLuise is the best swearer Martin Wood knows.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-24 (Thursday)

<ucale2$3uu5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199640&group=rec.arts.tv#199640

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-24 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:38:26 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:38 UTC

On 8/25/2023 8:32 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> [...]
> expecting
>     Major General Jack O'Neill: You mean, something like this?
>     [O'Neill is standing in the doorway waving]
>     Vala Mal Doran: Wow... Don't think anybody will see that coming
>     Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Nope! There'll be spoilers
>     Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: You kidding? It'll be in the commercial
>
>     Martin Lloyd: They can't leave! They haven't finished reading my
> script!
>     Major General Hank Landry: That's funny, I thought it said
> "General" on my uniform.
> (He points to the stars on his shoulder as he says that.)
>
>     General George S. Hammond: Sergeant, make it spin.
>     Chief Mst Sgt. Walter Harriman: Spin? Sir, it doesn't spin.
>     General George S. Hammond: What? It has to spin. It's round.
> Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the General. I want it

You *know* some exec said that to the writers at some point! LOL

>     Major General Hank Landry: Hey Walter!... C'mon! We're all going!
>     Chief Mst Sgt. Walter Harriman: [who's never gone through the gate]
> I don't have the right outfit!
>     Major General Jack O'Neill: You look fine
>     [Walter runs down in his regular uniform, yet emerges in full
> mission gear]
>
>     Colonel Jack O'Neill: I thought I told you I retired!
>     General George S. Hammond: Oh. I thought you said you were tired.
>
> Trivia: After season ten of Wormhole X-Treme!, Marty says their movie is
> back on. Following the final episode of season ten, the Stargate SG-1
> (1997) storylines were brought to a close in two films, Stargate: The
> Ark of Truth (2008) and Stargate: Continuum (2008), both direct-to-video
> releases.
> The recap of previous episodes that opens the episode contains scenes of
> SG-1 meeting the Furlings, something that never happened in the series.
> Marty's cell phone ring is the theme song from the "Wormhole X-Treme!"
> series within the series.
> The Wizard of Oz (1939) segment was conceived with Sam Carter in the
> role of Dorothy. This was changed to Vala when it was pointed out that
> she wears braids just like Judy Garland in the movie. Sam plays Glinda
> instead.
> The comments made during the Wormhole X-Treme! cast interviews parody
> actual events from the ten-year run of Stargate SG-1 (1997).
>
> (Something never mentioned anywhere, this is the episode where we see
> Furlings. ;) )

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-24 (Thursday)

<uci3fu$1m4mo$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199861&group=rec.arts.tv#199861

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 04:38:01 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 08:38 UTC

In article <ucale2$3uu5$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>The Equalizer - "No Good Deed" - Season 3, episode 14 from a few months
>ago. McCall looks into a murdered Congresswoman who was helping
>immigrants. I lost track of what was happening and it became background
>noise. Only a few episodes to go. If this strike keeps up I'll end up
>finishing the season.

Is this the original or the remake?

>Big Brother - I've been watching every episode, I just never bother to
>mention it.

Please feel free to keep it that way. ;-)

--
Let's go Brandon!