Well, you know, no matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
||+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
|||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Bob Casanova
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)shawn
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)shawn
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)shawn
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||   +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
||   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
||    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)shawn
||     `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)shawn
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<UBI20230618@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190453&group=rec.arts.tv#190453

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

Thunder in Paradise 2: Things Get Kind of Racist (Movie Nights):
Hulk Hogan, arranged marriages, and prophetic dreams!
https://youtu.be/0wfzEirf4rU

Top 20 Creepiest Mysteries That Were Finally Solved:
https://youtu.be/t3U6bPzjKVs

Thunder in Paradise 3: Things Get REALLY Racist (Movie Nights):
Hulk Hogan fights Fidel Castro!
https://youtu.be/XRAWGozT2gY

Baywatching Nights: Nights to Dragon One:
Mitch and Ryan become trapped in an evil virtual reality D&D game. Just like
Myst!
https://youtu.be/ekPfcUM8-Kc

UNSOLVED: The Creepiest TV Hack in History:
https://youtu.be/aTuonpTAIOw

Supernova Alert: We May Soon See an Exploding Star in Night Sky:
Betelgeuse supernova is one of the most awaited astronomical events. Lying
about 650 light years away, Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star on its
deathbed. It is in its carbon-burning phase. Earlier, it was believed that
the star would go supernova in the next 100,000 years or so. However, a new
study shows that we have significantly underestimated the size of Betelgeuse
and its evolution timeline. According to new research, the star may seem to
explode within the next few decades, instead of hundreds of thousands of
years.
https://youtu.be/yhL3z4ZmmGo

Scientists Saw The Largest Explosion in Space And Now There's a Problem:
https://youtu.be/Wxlg0ajntrw

Plot Twist: There�s No Dark Matter. Our Theory of Gravity is Broken:
https://youtu.be/U5AaG_OIxPo

What The Next Miyake Event Will Do To Our Planet:
A Miyake event is an unexplained cosmic storm that strikes our planet on
average about every thousand years. These events leave their imprint in the
tree rings around the globe and the ice cores of Antarctica. Scientists study
the spike in the radiocarbon levels in the tree ring data to find the exact
time a Miyake event occurred. It was believed that their origins lie in solar
flares that regularly hit Earth. However, new studies show the Sun is not
responsible for these cosmic storms.
https://youtu.be/jD3HKD8INDw

FAMILY GUY:
"Take My Wife".

FAMILY GUY:
"Fighting Irish".

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND LEVIN:
This week on Life, Liberty & Levin, Mark Levin breaks down the indictment of
former President Donald Trump by the Biden DOJ on 'Life, Liberty & Levin.'

FRINGE:
"Earthling". Strange deaths by a mysterious shadow leads the Fringe Team to
the scene where they learn that a Russian astronaut was possessed by an alien
and his brother is convincing Dr. Bishop to solve the equation to free him.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1405053263.708880145.492513.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190485&group=rec.arts.tv#190485

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:19:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:19 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
don’t work when the signal is out.

UPDATE:

So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.

If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“

Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.

AND

They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:

90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
the inter-web side. Rat bastards.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6puq9$23te4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190492&group=rec.arts.tv#190492

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:12:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:12 UTC

Stargate: SG-1 S6E19 'The Changeling'
"Teal'c is in the infirmary having a series of strange dreams. In those
dreams, he is a human who, along with the other members of SG-1, are
firefighters in Coquitlam. Others are in his dream including friend Brae
and his wife Shauna. He faces major surgery as he's decided to donate
one of his kidneys to his friend Brae. As he drifts in and out of sleep,
he becomes less and less sure just which of his two worlds is real."
(Yup, that's right! The last six years have all been a set-up for a
radical change in the show! MMMWWAAHAHAHAH!!!!)

Major Samantha Carter: Why don't you try a glass of warm milk?
Teal'c: I would prefer not to consume bovine lactose at any temperature.

Teal'c: You think I'm crazy?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, not yet. We just met.
Teal'c: We haven't met before?
Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, no, I don't think so.
Teal'c: I'm sure we have.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe in another life or something like that,
you know if you believe in that sort of thing. Some people do.

Trivia: The story was partly inspired by a fireman show that Richard
Dean Anderson was considering starting. (I told ya!)
This episode was written by Christopher Judge (Teal'c) himself. He also
wrote Season 5's The Warrior (2002), Season 7's Birthright (2003) and
Season 8's Sacrifices (2004).
Christopher Judge's (Teal'c) second wife, Gianna Patton, appears as a
nurse in this episode. They had met a few years prior on the set of the
show and after this episode, they became engaged. The couple's baby was
born the year after the engagement. A final divorce from Judge's first
wife, Margaret Judge, was not enacted until several years later. He
married Patton soon after the divorce was finalized.
Amanda Tapping's real life husband, Allan Kovacs, is in the beginning of
the episode when the alarm goes off, he is the first down the pole who
starts running.

Commentary: Christopher Judge (Writer) and Martin Wood (Director). They
start out with the fact that this is the first time Judge will get to
see the finished episode. He says he's looking for the hot nurse. The
episode was a big family affair, the kid in the car crash was Judge's
son. A lot of this was Wood teaching Judge how he was doing cuts and
scenes. Judge is torn between commenting and watching the episode.
Apparently he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Unlike the
steady-cam operator who shot a scene walking backwards up a spiral
staircase holding the 75-80 pound camera with one arm. O_O

-----------------

The Proof Is Out There S3E12 'Monster in the Attic, Houston UFO and Utah
Bigfoot'
"A video showing a strange formation of flickering lights; a mysterious
humanoid creature is caught on camera in an abandoned attic."
I'm starting to really like this show. They call hoaxes hoaxes, they
actually do some research and find the mundane answers. It isn't a
"sensationalist" show, its a debunking show.

What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6put3$23vjh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190494&group=rec.arts.tv#190494

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:14:27 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:14 UTC

On 2023-06-19 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Because the U.S. Open was in Los Angeles this year, the leading players
started late, so the final play went *way late* - to almost 7pm (that's
10pm East Coast time!!). This shot my entire afternoon for "movie
watching"!! But that's OK - I just put the golf on, and just got home
chores s**t done! So it was all good.

Anyway, I finished "Citadel" (season 1), and got through a couple of
(very silly!) chop-socky movies!!

Citadel (Netflix) - Ep's #1.4-1.6 (the season #1 finale).
Some thoughts.
It turns out, this season was too short. With streamers, even some
short seasons end up being "padded" with extraneous content. But this
show was definitely the opposite - they crammed too much into just six
episode: eight episodes (or more) would have been better. But I guess
the show is so damn expensive that they literally couldn't afford more
episodes.
Second, the show sports *way too many* family connections!! James
Bond does just fine without everybody being related to everybody else!
I dunno why this show thought all of this was all necessary for the
story - it really wasn't.
Anyway, the identity of the Citadel "mole" is revealed in the
finale, and I have to say I didn't see it coming (I was convinced it
was somebody else...).
Sidenote: Hey, if they've got a "backup" of Mason Kane's memories,
doesn't it stand to reason that they also have a backup of the memories
of another key character whose mind was wiped?!...
Season #1 ends very unsatisfactorally - they seem to wrap up the
season's immediate storyarcs, but then dump a massive revelation at our
feet at the end as the cliffhanger.
I will surely watch season #2 of this (again: it *looks great* in
4k!!). But I would be more enthused if the ID/revelation of the mole
had been more satisfactory.

golf - As I told my brother, Ricky Fowler is a "choker", and as
expected he choked on the final day of play (falling all the way to
fifth place, with a +5 for Day 4!).
So, it came down to Rory McIlroy versus Wyndham Clark. Clark led
most of the final day, and McIlroy was never really able to put
together a surge to take the lead. In the end, Clark did what he needed
to, and won by a stroke over McIlroy, to take his first major. Clark
has been lurking on a lot of leaderboards this year, so I'm not
surprised he had a major breakthrough here.

Then I watched some chop-socky on the Netflix!!

Fistful of Vengeance (Netflix) - This Netflix original flick is the
"movie sequel" to the Netflix TV series "Wu Assassins", that serves to
tie-up the events of the TV series after it was cancelled after one
season.
Probably the main "selling point" of this is that it is set, and
almost certainly filmed, *in Bangkok*, which at least makes it exotic!
The thing is, though - the film only carries three characters (four,
if you count one ancillary baddie who shows up later, and she was just
recurring on the TV series...) forward from the TV series. Everyone
else is "new". In fact, in checking, it looks like they may have even
killed Jenny off-screen!! (I guess Li Jun Li was unavailable?...)
though she may have been killed in the series finale - I don't remember.
Weirdly, the fight choreography in the movie seemed way less solid
than what I remember from the TV series. That seems backwards to me -
on a film, you should be able to do more prep work for your fight
choreo, not less. But I swear the fight choreography in this flick was
mostly not great, even compared to the TV series.
It also felt like it was more poorly directed - the line delivery
from almost everyone here was poor (the two female leads scored best on
this front...).
And, on that - because pretty much all of the female leads from the
TV series, esp. Katheryn Winnick, fail to show up here, the film has to
produce a couple of new female leads - they do that in the form of
South African actress Pearl Thusi, as an interpol agent and ex-gf of Lu
Xin's, and super cute British(?) actress Francesca Corney, as a shady
"contact" of Tommy's, who both get sucked into this supernatural mess!
I thought Francesca Corney was the "find" here - apparently she will
show up on the upcoming TV series "The Buccaneers" which I am
considering watching... But I hope she gets more work! She is
super-cute, and looks to be a decent actress.
BTW, there is a tiny bit of naked nudity here, but unfortunately,
Corney demures from it, and it's just from Pearl Thusi.
Anyway, I guess this does wrap up the series pretty completely,
while still leaving a door open to follow-up films with our Wu
assassin, Kai, and crew, should there be any interest.

Blade of the 47 Ronin (Netflix) - This "Netflix original" is a "sequel"
to "47 Ronin", in the same way that some TV spinoffs bear just the
*slightest* connection to the original TV series they originate from,
usually in the form of a character from the spinoff showing up in a
*single-shot guest appearance* on the original series. (Come to think
of it, that exactly describes "Melrose Place's" "connection" to "BH,
90210"!!)
IOW, this has almost *nothing* to do with the original Keanu Reeves
flick, except that there are samurai and "witches". Oh, and it's set in
the modern day.
Really, *really* weirdly, this flick is set in... Budapest,
Hungary!! There's only one reason to do this - it's cheaper to film in
Hungary!! But it really, really should have been filmed/set in Japan,
or at least somewhere in Asia. (Even the U.S. would have made more
sense!!)
This stars Anna Akana, looking here every minute of her early-30s
age! as a "reforming" thief grrrrl!, travelling through Budapest (for
some reason!!), the purported "last living descendant" of the 47 Ronin.
The thing is, she is needed as the "prophesy girl" to stop an
EVOL!!1! witch dude (Daniel Southworth - and would he be a
"warlock"?!!) from uniting two magic swords into one (they are totally,
seriously ripping off the TV cartoon "Blackstar" here!!) so he can kill
all of the remaining (modern!) samurai (who are a secret society, I
guess) or something.
BTW, is this a "thing" with chop-socky flicks?! But like a "Fistful
of Veneance", this film also had really clunky line delivery - the only
one here who comes off as remotely acting like a real world human being
was Akana: almost everyone else suffers from stilted, clunky line
delivery...
Anyway, this prohpesy puts Akana's character in the sights of a
samurai lord (it's Mark Dacascos!!) and his apprentice underling
samurai babe (Teresa Ting), though they are properly called
"onna-musha" not "samurai", along with a modern ronin (Mike Moh).
What caught my eye here was Luna Fujimoto, who plays by far the
cutest samurai babe, Mai - and she may also be the *toughest*,
killingest samurai babe in the movie too!! I hope Luna Fujimoto gets
more work from this, because she's super-cute, and she was also the
best at the samurai fighting sequences!
Anyway, this all leads to an inevitable showdown with the warlock dude.
This movie has much better fight choreography than "Fistful of
Vengeance", I thought. It's not deep, and there's a lot of malarkey,
but it was a decent way to pass the time. Fujimoto's presence certainly
helped!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6pvrj$242no$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190496&group=rec.arts.tv#190496

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:30:31 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:30 UTC

On 6/19/2023 8:19 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
> annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
> with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
> does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
> care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
> don’t work when the signal is out.
>
> UPDATE:
>
> So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
> finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.
>
> If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“
>
> Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
> than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.

How can they limit your testing? Isn't google speed test enough? They
can't limit that.

> AND
>
> They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
> data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:
>
> 90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
> finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
> the inter-web side. Rat bastards.

This is a multi-day catch up. I watched:

The Lazarus Project - Episode 3 - George continues to plot to bring back
his dead girlfriend and this time takes some affirmative steps to help
end the world so he can force a reset. This episode also shows the
groundhogs day end of the world scenario from episode 2, but from the
perspective of two other time agents who also ended up going rogue and
who George is now secretly aligned with. I thought this was a pretty
good episode and so far the series is holding my interest.

Black Mirror (Netflix streaming) - I binged through the rest of the 6th
season.

"Loch Henry" - I don't know what was up with this episode! Something to
do with a serial killer.

"Beyond the Sea" - Aaron Paul and Josh Hartnee star as two astronauts on
a multiyear deep space mission. They use technology to send their
consciousness to android versions of themselves back on Earth. Things
get real spoilerly from there! I don't even know where to begin with
this one, but I guess thanks to spoilers I don't have to. But that
ending...

"Mazey Day" - Zazie Beetz stars as a paparazzo who has a guilt trip
after one of her victims commits suicide, but that doesn't stop her from
going after a new payday when she's offered a huge sum to snap a picture
of a celebrity in rehab. This was mostly background noise.

"Demon 79" Season finale and probably the best episode of the season.
Set in 1979 the plot follows a woman who works at a shoe store who
accidentally unleashes a demon (Paapa Essiedu from The Lazarus Project).
The demon tells her she has to murder three people in three days, or
the world will end in nuclear holocaust. Wackiness ensues! This one
really was a great episode.

"Be Right Back" This episode is from season 2 all the way back in 2013.
Hayley Atwell stars as a woman who gets an AI version of her dead
boyfriend. Netlfix automatically played this episode, and I assumed
Netflix was playing the next episode in the current season. About a
minute into the episode, I thought to myself, didn't Black Mirror
already do an episode with this plot. Then I kind of shrugged my
shoulders and kept watching. Then about halfway through Domhall Gleeson
shows up (his character was introduced earlier but a slightly different
version of him that I didn't recognize). This time I recognized him,
but also noticed that he looked way too young! I checked and realized
that it was an episode from a decade ago. But by this point I was
halfway through and figured I'd finish it.

Captain Marvel (4K disc) 2019 Marvel movie set in 1995 which shows how
Captain Marvel got her powers and how Fur lost his eye after getting in
the middle of a war between the Skrulls and the Kree. The movie holds
up well enough.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<6o319i57rvrdv5o2u1b2ph2fad0uf0s4c3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190501&group=rec.arts.tv#190501

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:30:37 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:30 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:19:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
>annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
>with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
>does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
>care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
>don’t work when the signal is out.

They won't comply with your wishes to just die. Well, not all of them
but with a reset button it won't hold. I agree that at that point the
motivation for much of what is going on isn't understood. There is a
reason that will be revealed in due time. Whether it's a good enough
reason is up to you to decide.

>UPDATE:
>
>So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
>finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.
>
>If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“?
>
>Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
>than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.

Is that a limit when testing using their system? I've never used the
cable company's system to test my Internet speed. Instead I'll use
something like speedtest.net that doesn't care how many times you
test.

>AND
>
>They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
>data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:
>
>90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
>finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
>the inter-web side. Rat bastards.

Yep, that's the problem with the cloud storage. I remember this being
an issue I noticed long ago with Comcast where they didn't make a big
deal of it but streaming through their apps was going to count against
your data cap. Not an issue with AT&T where I have unlimited data
usage but Comcast locally had the caps from early on so monthly
allowed usage (without an overcharge fee) still amounts to only 1.2 TB
a month. Again not an issue if you are only web browsing but if you
are streaming a lot you can eat up that allotment quickly, especially
with a family watching their own things.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6q9s9$2541l$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190513&group=rec.arts.tv#190513

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,sci.skeptic
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:21:45 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:21 UTC

In article <u6puq9$23te4$3@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:

>The Proof Is Out There S3E12 'Monster in the Attic, Houston UFO and Utah Bigfoot'
>"A video showing a strange formation of flickering lights; a mysterious
>humanoid creature is caught on camera in an abandoned attic."
>I'm starting to really like this show. They call hoaxes hoaxes, they
>actually do some research and find the mundane answers. It isn't a
>"sensationalist" show, its a debunking show.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of skepticism in this show.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<70b19i9itf331rsgvm0nmueufpadul2nid@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190515&group=rec.arts.tv#190515

From: nos...@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,sci.skeptic,talk.origins
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:28:28 -0700
Sender: news@beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
by mod-relay.zaccari.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 765987D124
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:28:38 +0000 (UTC)
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher AECDH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
(No client certificate requested)
by smtp.eternal-september.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 6A433760225
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:28:36 +0000 (UTC)
by mailhub.eternal-september.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2CAEC100010
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:28:36 +0000 (UTC)
id 9FFCADC01BF; Mon, 19 Jun 2023 21:28:35 +0200 (CEST)
 by: Bob Casanova - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:28 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:21:45 -0400, the following appeared
in sci.skeptic, posted by Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>:

>In article <u6puq9$23te4$3@dont-email.me>, dtravel@sonic.net wrote:
>
>>The Proof Is Out There S3E12 'Monster in the Attic, Houston UFO and Utah Bigfoot'
>>"A video showing a strange formation of flickering lights; a mysterious
>>humanoid creature is caught on camera in an abandoned attic."
>>I'm starting to really like this show. They call hoaxes hoaxes, they
>>actually do some research and find the mundane answers. It isn't a
>>"sensationalist" show, its a debunking show.
>
>I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of skepticism in this show.

Sort of like Penn & Teller? Sounds good; I'll check it out.
Thanks!

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1113999495.708898112.366918.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190524&group=rec.arts.tv#190524

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:17:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:17 UTC

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:19:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
>> annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
>> with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
>> does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
>> care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
>> don’t work when the signal is out.
>
> They won't comply with your wishes to just die. Well, not all of them
> but with a reset button it won't hold. I agree that at that point the
> motivation for much of what is going on isn't understood. There is a
> reason that will be revealed in due time. Whether it's a good enough
> reason is up to you to decide.
>

>> UPDATE:
>>
>> So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
>> finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.
>>
>> If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“?
>>
>> Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
>> than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.
>
> Is that a limit when testing using their system? I've never used the
> cable company's system to test my Internet speed. Instead I'll use
> something like speedtest.net that doesn't care how many times you
> test.

This is brand new as of today as far as I know. I used to have three ways
to test my speed. One was built into the Cox homepage with the other tools
like modem reset. One was the speed test app same as you’re using. Another
was the speed check app, all three were available on the iPhone. Speed
check isn’t on the iPad for some reason.

Anyway. my “fixed“ speed was about half what it was yesterday I tried to do
speed test from within the Cox app and found they had removed it. I had to
read some of their FAQs. They claim they bought SpeedTest and that you have
to use it now as a separate app That you can only use it five times a day.
I have no idea how they enforce that although they might enforce it at the
Cox end only.

>> AND
>>
>> They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
>> data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:
>>
>> 90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
>> finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
>> the inter-web side. Rat bastards.
>
> Yep, that's the problem with the cloud storage. I remember this being
> an issue I noticed long ago with Comcast where they didn't make a big
> deal of it but streaming through their apps was going to count against
> your data cap. Not an issue with AT&T where I have unlimited data
> usage but Comcast locally had the caps from early on so monthly
> allowed usage (without an overcharge fee) still amounts to only 1.2 TB
> a month. Again not an issue if you are only web browsing but if you
> are streaming a lot you can eat up that allotment quickly, especially
> with a family watching their own things.

I am Magine watching 4K Netflix is going to add up fast!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<0as19itm6jj6u49llts18dolr1jj23gjj9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190534&group=rec.arts.tv#190534

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 20:23:39 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 00:23 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:30:31 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> [...]
>boyfriend. Netlfix automatically played this episode, and I assumed
>Netflix was playing the next episode in the current season. About a
>minute into the episode, I thought to myself, didn't Black Mirror
>already do an episode with this plot. Then I kind of shrugged my
>shoulders and kept watching. Then about halfway through Domhall Gleeson
>shows up (his character was introduced earlier but a slightly different
>version of him that I didn't recognize). This time I recognized him,
>but also noticed that he looked way too young! I checked and realized
>that it was an episode from a decade ago. But by this point I was
>halfway through and figured I'd finish it.
>

>Captain Marvel (4K disc) 2019 Marvel movie set in 1995 which shows how
>Captain Marvel got her powers and how Fur lost his eye after getting in
>the middle of a war between the Skrulls and the Kree. The movie holds

I liked it better on a second viewing but still felt it was lacking
that mixture of humor in the middle of a dramatic scene. Sure, there
were some occasions where they tried to do it but Larson didn't pull
it off.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<qis19it2qc5vnbis0ke8603ml8th537ls3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190553&group=rec.arts.tv#190553

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 00:57:34 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 04:57 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:17:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:19:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>>
>>> I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
>>> annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
>>> with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
>>> does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
>>> care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
>>> don’t work when the signal is out.
>>
>> They won't comply with your wishes to just die. Well, not all of them
>> but with a reset button it won't hold. I agree that at that point the
>> motivation for much of what is going on isn't understood. There is a
>> reason that will be revealed in due time. Whether it's a good enough
>> reason is up to you to decide.
>>

>>> UPDATE:
>>>
>>> So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
>>> finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.
>>>
>>> If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“?
>>>
>>> Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
>>> than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.
>>
>> Is that a limit when testing using their system? I've never used the
>> cable company's system to test my Internet speed. Instead I'll use
>> something like speedtest.net that doesn't care how many times you
>> test.
>
>This is brand new as of today as far as I know. I used to have three ways
>to test my speed. One was built into the Cox homepage with the other tools
>like modem reset. One was the speed test app same as you’re using. Another
>was the speed check app, all three were available on the iPhone. Speed
>check isn’t on the iPad for some reason.
>
>Anyway. my “fixed“ speed was about half what it was yesterday I tried to do
>speed test from within the Cox app and found they had removed it. I had to
>read some of their FAQs. They claim they bought SpeedTest and that you have
>to use it now as a separate app That you can only use it five times a day.
>I have no idea how they enforce that although they might enforce it at the
>Cox end only.

I don't know what speedtest site Cox is talking about but they don't
own www.speedtest.net as that is run by Ookla, LLC and is owned by
Ziff Davis. So unless Cox bought Ziff Davis they don't own speedtest.
Now if you use their app they could limit the number of tests you do
but if you just use the web site they have no control on it.

>>> AND
>>>
>>> They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
>>> data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:
>>>
>>> 90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
>>> finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
>>> the inter-web side. Rat bastards.
>>
>> Yep, that's the problem with the cloud storage. I remember this being
>> an issue I noticed long ago with Comcast where they didn't make a big
>> deal of it but streaming through their apps was going to count against
>> your data cap. Not an issue with AT&T where I have unlimited data
>> usage but Comcast locally had the caps from early on so monthly
>> allowed usage (without an overcharge fee) still amounts to only 1.2 TB
>> a month. Again not an issue if you are only web browsing but if you
>> are streaming a lot you can eat up that allotment quickly, especially
>> with a family watching their own things.
>
>I am Magine watching 4K Netflix is going to add up fast!
Hi Magine, are you good friends with FredBob? ;)

As suggested in another post you could use Google's speed test
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=speedtest+google

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1992090449.708933107.035995.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190560&group=rec.arts.tv#190560

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:02:34 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:02 UTC

> [...]
>> shoulders and kept watching. Then about halfway through Domhall Gleeson
>> shows up (his character was introduced earlier but a slightly different
>> version of him that I didn't recognize). This time I recognized him,
>> but also noticed that he looked way too young! I checked and realized
>> that it was an episode from a decade ago. But by this point I was
>> halfway through and figured I'd finish it.
>>

>> Captain Marvel (4K disc) 2019 Marvel movie set in 1995 which shows how
>> Captain Marvel got her powers and how Fur lost his eye after getting in
>> the middle of a war between the Skrulls and the Kree. The movie holds
>> up well enough.
>
> I liked it better on a second viewing but still felt it was lacking
> that mixture of humor in the middle of a dramatic scene. Sure, there
> were some occasions where they tried to do it but Larson didn't pull

It was actually on broadcast TV last night, and I flipped to it by
accident. I realized what it was and decided to watch a little and almost
instantly my Cox froze up and it doesn’t look like it will ever be
repaired.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1794119613.708933189.084583.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190561&group=rec.arts.tv#190561

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:02:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:02 UTC

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:17:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> They won't comply with your wishes to just die. Well, not all of them
>>> but with a reset button it won't hold. I agree that at that point the
>>> motivation for much of what is going on isn't understood. There is a
>>> reason that will be revealed in due time. Whether it's a good enough
>>> reason is up to you to decide.

>>> Is that a limit when testing using their system? I've never used the
>>> cable company's system to test my Internet speed. Instead I'll use
>>> something like speedtest.net that doesn't care how many times you
>>> test.
>>
>> This is brand new as of today as far as I know. I used to have three ways
>> to test my speed. One was built into the Cox homepage with the other tools
>> like modem reset. One was the speed test app same as you’re using. Another
>> was the speed check app, all three were available on the iPhone. Speed
>> check isn’t on the iPad for some reason.
>>
>> Anyway. my “fixed“ speed was about half what it was yesterday I tried to do
>> speed test from within the Cox app and found they had removed it. I had to
>> read some of their FAQs. They claim they bought SpeedTest and that you have
>> to use it now as a separate app That you can only use it five times a day.
>> I have no idea how they enforce that although they might enforce it at the
>> Cox end only.
>
> I don't know what speedtest site Cox is talking about but they don't
> own www.speedtest.net as that is run by Ookla, LLC and is owned by
> Ziff Davis. So unless Cox bought Ziff Davis they don't own speedtest.
> Now if you use their app they could limit the number of tests you do
> but if you just use the web site they have no control on it.

I went back to the Cox app to see if I could copy paste the FAQ about speed
test. Cox is down completely, and you can’t even sign into the app. It’s
putting up the dreaded “ERROR.
We are experiencing technical difficulties.
try again later” message.

I switched over to my T-Mobile connection to see if it was my Cox local
connection or Cox themselves. It’s Cox themselves.

>>> Yep, that's the problem with the cloud storage. I remember this being
>>> an issue I noticed long ago with Comcast where they didn't make a big
>>> deal of it but streaming through their apps was going to count against
>>> your data cap. Not an issue with AT&T where I have unlimited data
>>> usage but Comcast locally had the caps from early on so monthly
>>> allowed usage (without an overcharge fee) still amounts to only 1.2 TB
>>> a month. Again not an issue if you are only web browsing but if you
>>> are streaming a lot you can eat up that allotment quickly, especially
>>> with a family watching their own things.
>>
>> I am Magine watching 4K Netflix is going to add up fast!
> Hi Magine, are you good friends with FredBob? ;)
>

> As suggested in another post you could use Google's speed test
> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=speedtest+google

I do everything I can to avoid using anything Google.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6sbjr$2f3gd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190596&group=rec.arts.tv#190596

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 07:03:39 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:03 UTC

To see if a website is down you can use www.isitdownrightnow.com

>>> I am Magine watching 4K Netflix is going to add up fast!
>> Hi Magine, are you good friends with FredBob? ;)
>>

>> As suggested in another post you could use Google's speed test
>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=speedtest+google
>>

> I do everything I can to avoid using anything Google.

Then go to duckduckgo or any other search engine and type internet speed
test...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1827084814.708962730.641116.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190607&group=rec.arts.tv#190607

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:19:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:19 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:17:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> This is brand new as of today as far as I know. I used to have three ways
>>> to test my speed. One was built into the Cox homepage with the other tools
>>> like modem reset. One was the speed test app same as you’re using. Another
>>> was the speed check app, all three were available on the iPhone. Speed
>>> check isn’t on the iPad for some reason.
>>>
>>> Anyway. my “fixed“ speed was about half what it was yesterday I tried to do
>>> speed test from within the Cox app and found they had removed it. I had to
>>> read some of their FAQs. They claim they bought SpeedTest and that you have
>>> to use it now as a separate app That you can only use it five times a day.
>>> I have no idea how they enforce that although they might enforce it at the
>>> Cox end only.
>>
>> I don't know what speedtest site Cox is talking about but they don't
>> own www.speedtest.net as that is run by Ookla, LLC and is owned by
>> Ziff Davis. So unless Cox bought Ziff Davis they don't own speedtest.
>> Now if you use their app they could limit the number of tests you do
>> but if you just use the web site they have no control on it.
>>

> I went back to the Cox app to see if I could copy paste the FAQ about speed
> test. Cox is down completely, and you can’t even sign into the app. It’s
> putting up the dreaded “ERROR.
> We are experiencing technical difficulties.
> try again later” message.
>
> I switched over to my T-Mobile connection to see if it was my Cox local
> connection or Cox themselves. It’s Cox themselves.

>>> I am Magine watching 4K Netflix is going to add up fast!
>> Hi Magine, are you good friends with FredBob? ;)
>>

>> As suggested in another post you could use Google's speed test
>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=speedtest+google
>>

> I do everything I can to avoid using anything Google.

OK it’s working for the next couple minutes anyway

Non-Cox Panoramic Wifi users, download the Speedtest app, or run a test
from www.speedtest.net in your browser, using a hardwired connection to the
modem or combination WiFi modem, and ensure that no other device is
actively using the internet.
Do not hardwire to a router.

Use the following steps to access and run the Internet Speed Check tool.
Before running the tool, it is important to note that the Internet Speed
Check tool is designed to be used when connected to the Cox network.
For the most accurate results, download the Speedtest app available for
desktops, mobile devices, and more.

Notes:
You can run the speed test five times per day.
Download and Upload speeds are both tested.

******

Yeah, I don’t understand it either. It seems to be a mishmash of
instructions from when you actually ran speed test from within the Cox app
and now when you run it as a separate freestanding app.

Also, at some places, they call it speed, test, and other places they call
it speed check. Speed check (which is a freestanding app on the iPhone and
unavailable on the iPad) may be the one they think they owned.

This morning I’m still stuck at 300 down but those limiters they put in to
keep you from hosting porn which prevents you from ever uploading anything
faster than 10 is broken and I am seeing numbers as high as 30 and 40. I
guess they’re scrambling to fix that as soon as possible. so I should be
getting 550/10 and I’m getting 299/30 instead.

Meanwhile, if I just use my T-Mobile connection I get 600/40. That would be
faster.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<jmh39il5f21kgnhj9mh8kjr57idlkunpcn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190612&group=rec.arts.tv#190612

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:40:26 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:40 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:19:32 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know what speedtest site Cox is talking about but they don't
>>> own www.speedtest.net as that is run by Ookla, LLC and is owned by
>>> Ziff Davis. So unless Cox bought Ziff Davis they don't own speedtest.
>>> Now if you use their app they could limit the number of tests you do
>>> but if you just use the web site they have no control on it.
>>>

>> I went back to the Cox app to see if I could copy paste the FAQ about speed
>> test. Cox is down completely, and you can’t even sign into the app. It’s
>> putting up the dreaded “ERROR.
>> We are experiencing technical difficulties.
>> try again later” message.
>>
>> I switched over to my T-Mobile connection to see if it was my Cox local
>> connection or Cox themselves. It’s Cox themselves.

>>> Hi Magine, are you good friends with FredBob? ;)
>>>

>>> As suggested in another post you could use Google's speed test
>>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=speedtest+google
>>>

>> I do everything I can to avoid using anything Google.
>>

>OK it’s working for the next couple minutes anyway
>
>Non-Cox Panoramic Wifi users, download the Speedtest app, or run a test
>from www.speedtest.net in your browser, using a hardwired connection to the
>modem or combination WiFi modem, and ensure that no other device is
>actively using the internet.
>Do not hardwire to a router.
>
>Use the following steps to access and run the Internet Speed Check tool.
>Before running the tool, it is important to note that the Internet Speed
>Check tool is designed to be used when connected to the Cox network.
>For the most accurate results, download the Speedtest app available for
>desktops, mobile devices, and more.
>
>Notes:
>You can run the speed test five times per day.
>Download and Upload speeds are both tested.
>
>******
>
>Yeah, I don’t understand it either. It seems to be a mishmash of
>instructions from when you actually ran speed test from within the Cox app
>and now when you run it as a separate freestanding app.
>
>Also, at some places, they call it speed, test, and other places they call
>it speed check. Speed check (which is a freestanding app on the iPhone and
>unavailable on the iPad) may be the one they think they owned.

Speedcheck is owned by a different company. It's also not the best to
use as I went to their web site and ran a speed check. It gave me half
the speed that I just got off of speedtest.net. Perhaps they are only
starting half the threads downloading/uploading that speedtest.net
uses so they get half the speed.
(Strangely enough the server speedtest.net first picked for me to test
with was the Atlanta Cox server. Got over 900Mbits download and about
870Mbits upload.)

>This morning I’m still stuck at 300 down but those limiters they put in to
>keep you from hosting porn which prevents you from ever uploading anything
>faster than 10 is broken and I am seeing numbers as high as 30 and 40. I
>guess they’re scrambling to fix that as soon as possible. so I should be
>getting 550/10 and I’m getting 299/30 instead.
>
>Meanwhile, if I just use my T-Mobile connection I get 600/40. That would be
>faster.

If you are testing with speedcheck I strongly suggest you either use
the Google speed check (just do a Google search for Internet speed and
it should pop up, or the speedtest.net web site.) Just because as I
said above the speedcheck site under reports your available speeds.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<663261213.708990342.461152.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190668&group=rec.arts.tv#190668

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:07:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:07 UTC

> [...]
> with was the Atlanta Cox server. Got over 900Mbits download and about
> 870Mbits upload.)
>
>> This morning I’m still stuck at 300 down but those limiters they put in to
>> keep you from hosting porn which prevents you from ever uploading anything
>> faster than 10 is broken and I am seeing numbers as high as 30 and 40. I
>> guess they’re scrambling to fix that as soon as possible. so I should be
>> getting 550/10 and I’m getting 299/30 instead.
>>
>> Meanwhile, if I just use my T-Mobile connection I get 600/40. That would be
>> faster.
>
> If you are testing with speedcheck I strongly suggest you either use
> the Google speed check (just do a Google search for Internet speed and
> it should pop up, or the speedtest.net web site.) Just because as I
> said above the speedcheck site under reports your available speeds.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1991078961.708992172.905085.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190676&group=rec.arts.tv#190676

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:39:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:39 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> Stargate: SG-1 S6E19 'The Changeling'
> "Teal'c is in the infirmary having a series of strange dreams. In those
> dreams, he is a human who, along with the other members of SG-1, are
> firefighters in Coquitlam. Others are in his dream including friend Brae
> and his wife Shauna. He faces major surgery as he's decided to donate
> one of his kidneys to his friend Brae. As he drifts in and out of sleep,
> he becomes less and less sure just which of his two worlds is real."
> (Yup, that's right! The last six years have all been a set-up for a
> radical change in the show! MMMWWAAHAHAHAH!!!!)
>
> Major Samantha Carter: Why don't you try a glass of warm milk?
> Teal'c: I would prefer not to consume bovine lactose at any temperature.
>
> Teal'c: You think I'm crazy?
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, not yet. We just met.
> Teal'c: We haven't met before?
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, no, I don't think so.
> Teal'c: I'm sure we have.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe in another life or something like that,
> you know if you believe in that sort of thing. Some people do.
>
> Trivia: The story was partly inspired by a fireman show that Richard
> Dean Anderson was considering starting. (I told ya!)

And not at all by Buffy the vampire Slayer’s “normal again“ which aired 11
months earlier. :-)

> This episode was written by Christopher Judge (Teal'c) himself. He also
> wrote Season 5's The Warrior (2002), Season 7's Birthright (2003) and
> Season 8's Sacrifices (2004).
> Christopher Judge's (Teal'c) second wife, Gianna Patton, appears as a
> nurse in this episode. They had met a few years prior on the set of the
> show and after this episode, they became engaged. The couple's baby was
> born the year after the engagement. A final divorce from Judge's first
> wife, Margaret Judge, was not enacted until several years later. He
> married Patton soon after the divorce was finalized.

Here’s the happy couple now!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuFPfLgU4AAwFAu.jpg:large

> Amanda Tapping's real life husband, Allan Kovacs, is in the beginning of
> the episode when the alarm goes off, he is the first down the pole who
> starts running.

Here’s the happy couple now!

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3e/70/eb/3e70eb3eb918f79b57fa7ad5e5f80ea4.jpg

> Commentary: Christopher Judge (Writer) and Martin Wood (Director). They
> start out with the fact that this is the first time Judge will get to
> see the finished episode. He says he's looking for the hot nurse. The
> episode was a big family affair, the kid in the car crash was Judge's
> son. A lot of this was Wood teaching Judge how he was doing cuts and
> scenes. Judge is torn between commenting and watching the episode.
> Apparently he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Unlike the
> steady-cam operator who shot a scene walking backwards up a spiral
> staircase holding the 75-80 pound camera with one arm. O_O

That’s always my reaction to mountain climbing sequences when people are
marveling at what the mountain climbers doing, and I am thinking there’s a
cameramen who did the same thing first only backwards.

> -----------------
>
> The Proof Is Out There S3E12 'Monster in the Attic, Houston UFO and Utah
> Bigfoot'
> "A video showing a strange formation of flickering lights; a mysterious
> humanoid creature is caught on camera in an abandoned attic."
> I'm starting to really like this show. They call hoaxes hoaxes, they
> actually do some research and find the mundane answers. It isn't a
> "sensationalist" show, its a debunking show.

Shouldn’t they change the title then?

> What Did You Watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6tias$2jadq$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190691&group=rec.arts.tv#190691

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 18:04:31 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 01:04 UTC

On 6/20/2023 3:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E19 'The Changeling'
>> "Teal'c is in the infirmary having a series of strange dreams. In those
>> dreams, he is a human who, along with the other members of SG-1, are
>> firefighters in Coquitlam. Others are in his dream including friend Brae
>> and his wife Shauna. He faces major surgery as he's decided to donate
>> one of his kidneys to his friend Brae. As he drifts in and out of sleep,
>> he becomes less and less sure just which of his two worlds is real."
>> (Yup, that's right! The last six years have all been a set-up for a
>> radical change in the show! MMMWWAAHAHAHAH!!!!)
>>
>> Major Samantha Carter: Why don't you try a glass of warm milk?
>> Teal'c: I would prefer not to consume bovine lactose at any temperature.
>>
>> Teal'c: You think I'm crazy?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, not yet. We just met.
>> Teal'c: We haven't met before?
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, no, I don't think so.
>> Teal'c: I'm sure we have.
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe in another life or something like that,
>> you know if you believe in that sort of thing. Some people do.
>>
>> Trivia: The story was partly inspired by a fireman show that Richard
>> Dean Anderson was considering starting. (I told ya!)
>
> And not at all by Buffy the vampire Slayer’s “normal again“ which aired 11
> months earlier. :-)
>

>> This episode was written by Christopher Judge (Teal'c) himself. He also
>> wrote Season 5's The Warrior (2002), Season 7's Birthright (2003) and
>> Season 8's Sacrifices (2004).
>> Christopher Judge's (Teal'c) second wife, Gianna Patton, appears as a
>> nurse in this episode. They had met a few years prior on the set of the
>> show and after this episode, they became engaged. The couple's baby was
>> born the year after the engagement. A final divorce from Judge's first
>> wife, Margaret Judge, was not enacted until several years later. He
>> married Patton soon after the divorce was finalized.
>
> Here’s the happy couple now!
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuFPfLgU4AAwFAu.jpg:large

OMG, he looks like an elf!

>> Amanda Tapping's real life husband, Allan Kovacs, is in the beginning of
>> the episode when the alarm goes off, he is the first down the pole who
>> starts running.
>
> Here’s the happy couple now!
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3e/70/eb/3e70eb3eb918f79b57fa7ad5e5f80ea4.jpg

He's too ugly to deserve her.

>> Commentary: Christopher Judge (Writer) and Martin Wood (Director). They
>> start out with the fact that this is the first time Judge will get to
>> see the finished episode. He says he's looking for the hot nurse. The
>> episode was a big family affair, the kid in the car crash was Judge's
>> son. A lot of this was Wood teaching Judge how he was doing cuts and
>> scenes. Judge is torn between commenting and watching the episode.
>> Apparently he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Unlike the
>> steady-cam operator who shot a scene walking backwards up a spiral
>> staircase holding the 75-80 pound camera with one arm. O_O
>>

> That’s always my reaction to mountain climbing sequences when people are
> marveling at what the mountain climbers doing, and I am thinking there’s a
> cameramen who did the same thing first only backwards.
>

>> -----------------
>>
>> The Proof Is Out There S3E12 'Monster in the Attic, Houston UFO and Utah
>> Bigfoot'
>> "A video showing a strange formation of flickering lights; a mysterious
>> humanoid creature is caught on camera in an abandoned attic."
>> I'm starting to really like this show. They call hoaxes hoaxes, they
>> actually do some research and find the mundane answers. It isn't a
>> "sensationalist" show, its a debunking show.
>
> Shouldn’t they change the title then?

For proving they are hoaxes and unsupportable conspiracy theories?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<261416773.709019560.111650.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190704&group=rec.arts.tv#190704

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:01:18 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 06:01 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 6/20/2023 3:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Stargate: SG-1 S6E19 'The Changeling'
>>> "Teal'c is in the infirmary having a series of strange dreams. In those
>>> dreams, he is a human who, along with the other members of SG-1, are
>>> firefighters in Coquitlam. Others are in his dream including friend Brae
>>> and his wife Shauna. He faces major surgery as he's decided to donate
>>> one of his kidneys to his friend Brae. As he drifts in and out of sleep,
>>> he becomes less and less sure just which of his two worlds is real."
>>> (Yup, that's right! The last six years have all been a set-up for a
>>> radical change in the show! MMMWWAAHAHAHAH!!!!)
>>>
>>> Major Samantha Carter: Why don't you try a glass of warm milk?
>>> Teal'c: I would prefer not to consume bovine lactose at any temperature.
>>>
>>> Teal'c: You think I'm crazy?
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, not yet. We just met.
>>> Teal'c: We haven't met before?
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No, no, I don't think so.
>>> Teal'c: I'm sure we have.
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, maybe in another life or something like that,
>>> you know if you believe in that sort of thing. Some people do.
>>>
>>> Trivia: The story was partly inspired by a fireman show that Richard
>>> Dean Anderson was considering starting. (I told ya!)
>>
>> And not at all by Buffy the vampire Slayer’s “normal again“ which aired 11
>> months earlier. :-)
>>

>>> This episode was written by Christopher Judge (Teal'c) himself. He also
>>> wrote Season 5's The Warrior (2002), Season 7's Birthright (2003) and
>>> Season 8's Sacrifices (2004).
>>> Christopher Judge's (Teal'c) second wife, Gianna Patton, appears as a
>>> nurse in this episode. They had met a few years prior on the set of the
>>> show and after this episode, they became engaged. The couple's baby was
>>> born the year after the engagement. A final divorce from Judge's first
>>> wife, Margaret Judge, was not enacted until several years later. He
>>> married Patton soon after the divorce was finalized.
>>
>> Here’s the happy couple now!
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuFPfLgU4AAwFAu.jpg:large
>>

> OMG, he looks like an elf!

Frank Gorshin‘s Riddler only wished he were that gay.

Actually, I admire the guys guts to wear that much less in public much less
somewhere they were going to take pictures of him.

>>> Amanda Tapping's real life husband, Allan Kovacs, is in the beginning of
>>> the episode when the alarm goes off, he is the first down the pole who
>>> starts running.
>>
>> Here’s the happy couple now!
>>
>> https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3e/70/eb/3e70eb3eb918f79b57fa7ad5e5f80ea4.jpg
>>
> He's too ugly to deserve her.

He also seems to be considerably shorter than her.

I am amazed how happy she looks in all these pictures. Carter and Magness
always looked so grim.

IMDb says they are still married and have one child.

>>> Commentary: Christopher Judge (Writer) and Martin Wood (Director). They
>>> start out with the fact that this is the first time Judge will get to
>>> see the finished episode. He says he's looking for the hot nurse. The
>>> episode was a big family affair, the kid in the car crash was Judge's
>>> son. A lot of this was Wood teaching Judge how he was doing cuts and
>>> scenes. Judge is torn between commenting and watching the episode.
>>> Apparently he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Unlike the
>>> steady-cam operator who shot a scene walking backwards up a spiral
>>> staircase holding the 75-80 pound camera with one arm. O_O
>>>

>> That’s always my reaction to mountain climbing sequences when people are
>> marveling at what the mountain climbers doing, and I am thinking there’s a
>> cameramen who did the same thing first only backwards.
>>

>>> -----------------
>>>
>>> The Proof Is Out There S3E12 'Monster in the Attic, Houston UFO and Utah
>>> Bigfoot'
>>> "A video showing a strange formation of flickering lights; a mysterious
>>> humanoid creature is caught on camera in an abandoned attic."
>>> I'm starting to really like this show. They call hoaxes hoaxes, they
>>> actually do some research and find the mundane answers. It isn't a
>>> "sensationalist" show, its a debunking show.
>>
>> Shouldn’t they change the title then?
>>
> For proving they are hoaxes and unsupportable conspiracy theories?

Right. Shouldn’t it be “The Proof Ain’t Out There“?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<u6v2me$2tru8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=190748&group=rec.arts.tv#190748

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 07:49:51 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:49 UTC

On 6/20/2023 11:01 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> And not at all by Buffy the vampire Slayer’s “normal again“ which aired 11
>>> months earlier. :-)

>>> Here’s the happy couple now!
>>>
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuFPfLgU4AAwFAu.jpg:large
>>>

>> OMG, he looks like an elf!
>
> Frank Gorshin‘s Riddler only wished he were that gay.
>
> Actually, I admire the guys guts to wear that much less in public much less
> somewhere they were going to take pictures of him.

>>> Here’s the happy couple now!
>>>
>>> https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3e/70/eb/3e70eb3eb918f79b57fa7ad5e5f80ea4.jpg
>>>
>> He's too ugly to deserve her.
>
> He also seems to be considerably shorter than her.
>
> I am amazed how happy she looks in all these pictures. Carter and Magness
> always looked so grim.
>
> IMDb says they are still married and have one child.

>>> That’s always my reaction to mountain climbing sequences when people are
>>> marveling at what the mountain climbers doing, and I am thinking there’s a
>>> cameramen who did the same thing first only backwards.

>>> Shouldn’t they change the title then?
>>>
>> For proving they are hoaxes and unsupportable conspiracy theories?
>>

> Right. Shouldn’t it be “The Proof Ain’t Out There“?

*whap*

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<1000008829.708881564.606732.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199774&group=rec.arts.tv#199774

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 01:13:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:13 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
> annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
> with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
> does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
> care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
> don’t work when the signal is out.

I may have said that I thought you guys might be interested in Ridley from
this weeks TV list. I watched it last night. It was slow and turgid and
miserable and depressing and uninteresting in every possible way. Plus I
had to read the whole thing because the accents were inpenetrable.

I also watched this weeks new (to me) Death in Paradise.
S12E03
The local PBS station doesn’t give episode titles…
Hmm. Ian at IMDb has let me down as well.
Anyway, this was worst episode of series. I kept shaking my head and going
back and watching again trying to figure out what the hell was happening. I
swear there’s at least one scene where they called the character by the
wrong name. The cops were massively incompetent, but nobody pointed it out.
And mostly it just wasn’t any fun. I may be reaching the end with this
show.

> UPDATE:
>
> So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
> finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.
>
> If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“
>
> Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
> than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.
>
> AND
>
> They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
> data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:
>
> 90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
> finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
> the inter-web side. Rat bastards.
>

>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<aj5mei5il5od97oie1di7sqjv4c9cqomp9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199785&group=rec.arts.tv#199785

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 05:30:58 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 09:30 UTC

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 01:13:30 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
>> annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
>> with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
>> does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
>> care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
>> don’t work when the signal is out.
>
>I may have said that I thought you guys might be interested in Ridley from
>this weeks TV list. I watched it last night. It was slow and turgid and
>miserable and depressing and uninteresting in every possible way. Plus I
>had to read the whole thing because the accents were inpenetrable.

Never heard of it.
I did download WHO IS ERIN CARTER season 1 but haven't gotten around
to checking it so no verdict on whether it is actually worth watching.

>I also watched this weeks new (to me) Death in Paradise.
>S12E03
>The local PBS station doesn’t give episode titles…
>Hmm. Ian at IMDb has let me down as well.
>Anyway, this was worst episode of series. I kept shaking my head and going
>back and watching again trying to figure out what the hell was happening. I
>swear there’s at least one scene where they called the character by the
>wrong name. The cops were massively incompetent, but nobody pointed it out.
>And mostly it just wasn’t any fun. I may be reaching the end with this
>show.

>> UPDATE:
>>
>> So Cox cable (TV and inter-web) shut down for “maintenance“ last night, and
>> finally reported that they were “fixed“ as of 6 o’clock this morning.
>>
>> If by “fixed“ you’re willing to accept “half the speed it was yesterday“?
>>
>> Insult to injury: they now limit you to testing your Internet speed no more
>> than five times a day. Makes it sort of hard to troubleshoot.
>>
>> AND
>>
>> They put in a new breakdown page which shows you how much of your Interweb
>> data goes to what function. And for the first time we know for sure:
>>
>> 90% of my data goes towards watching the built-in DVR apps. So they are
>> finally actually counting what I watch on the DVR towards my data cap on
>> the inter-web side. Rat bastards.

That's crazy. I knew that Comcast kept pushing the various apps and
adding that data usage for things like Netflix/Youtube to your data
usage but to add the non-local DVR usage to your Internet data
allotment is crazy. This is the sort of thing that convinced me that I
would rather have the files on my local storage than depend on the
cable company DVR. At least if it is in my hands it won't get deleted
without my knowing and I have the option of backing it up. Plus you
can get about as good a quality as cable provides while using less
bandwidth and you can watch an episode multiple times without worrying
about using up more bandwidth.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-18 (Sunday)

<ucfobn$1771r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199795&group=rec.arts.tv#199795

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 07:59:03 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:59 UTC

On 8/27/23 1:13 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> I watched episode three of THE LAZARUS PROJECT. It continues to be
>> annoying, and I want more and more of the regulars to just die and be done
>> with it. Also, the motivations of people continue to be inexplicable, as
>> does much of the plot. Then my Cox went out overnight, which sort of took
>> care of watching anything else. They’ve recently kluged the DVR’s so they
>> don’t work when the signal is out.
>
> I may have said that I thought you guys might be interested in Ridley from
> this weeks TV list. I watched it last night. It was slow and turgid and
> miserable and depressing and uninteresting in every possible way. Plus I
> had to read the whole thing because the accents were inpenetrable.
>
> I also watched this weeks new (to me) Death in Paradise.
> S12E03
> The local PBS station doesn’t give episode titles…
> Hmm. Ian at IMDb has let me down as well.
> Anyway, this was worst episode of series. I kept shaking my head and going
> back and watching again trying to figure out what the hell was happening. I
> swear there’s at least one scene where they called the character by the
> wrong name. The cops were massively incompetent, but nobody pointed it out.
> And mostly it just wasn’t any fun. I may be reaching the end with this
> show.

I think you need to save this for today's thread! ;) (I'm working on
it now...)