One family builds a wall, two families enjoy it.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)shawn
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)shawn
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)shawn
| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
| |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)shawn
| |   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)shawn
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<4s2oeidg9qni783qtre1mp91l87eo1b4tq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199831&group=rec.arts.tv#199831

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 22:52:16 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 02:52 UTC

Sorry about that. I hit send before I had a chance to change the date
so it went out on the Saturday list.

In a day where I spent most of it getting rid of things I either
haven't used in years or never plan to use I didn't watch much.
Ended up getting rid of a lot of books including many from my
college days that I'll never use. Plus a lot of gear that I've
collected over the years (mostly old computer parts) and some clothes
that I was given and never wore.

All that I ended up watching was the first two episodes of
WHO IS ERIN CARTER?
The premise is there is a woman who seems to be on the run from
someone with her daughter so we see them getting on a fishing boat to
leave for sunnier climes. Then we jump forward five years to find the
woman living a normal life as teacher's assistant with a husband that
works as a nurse. Then things take a turn for the worse as she gets
caught up in a robbery at a grocery store only to end shooting one of
the robbers. One who apparently knew her from before this new life.
Which just leads to more trouble as the other robber knows her too.

The second episode has her husband's next door neighbor/friend asking
Erin for help with a serious problem because he knows she can take
care of herself. This unsurprising goes bad and then gets
progressively worse. There's the B plot about her having issues with a
bitchy neighbor that causes her problems with her job at the school.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<UBI20230827@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199850&group=rec.arts.tv#199850

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>What did you watch?

Nothing. I am preparing for a hurricane and (of course) my new replacement
cablebox doesn't work. It appears Comcast sent the wrong one but the one the
local Comcast affiliate gave me seems older than the one it replaced. It
didn't work either, BTW. >:-(

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<ucicem$1o89o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199886&group=rec.arts.tv#199886

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:53:59 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:53 UTC

On 8/27/2023 7:52 PM, shawn wrote:

> Sorry about that. I hit send before I had a chance to change the date
> so it went out on the Saturday list.
>
> In a day where I spent most of it getting rid of things I either
> haven't used in years or never plan to use I didn't watch much.

I tend to put those items in a shed in my back yard. Although I did
recently learn that the garbage company will schedule hauling away one
large item for free and additional items at a cheap price. So I made
use of that. :-)

> Ended up getting rid of a lot of books including many from my
> college days that I'll never use. Plus a lot of gear that I've
> collected over the years (mostly old computer parts) and some clothes
> that I was given and never wore.

I'm real bad about having way too many clothes! But I am pretty good
about donating clothes to goodwill every year.

> All that I ended up watching was the first two episodes of
> WHO IS ERIN CARTER?
> The premise is there is a woman who seems to be on the run from
> someone with her daughter so we see them getting on a fishing boat to
> leave for sunnier climes. Then we jump forward five years to find the
> woman living a normal life as teacher's assistant with a husband that
> works as a nurse. Then things take a turn for the worse as she gets
> caught up in a robbery at a grocery store only to end shooting one of
> the robbers. One who apparently knew her from before this new life.
> Which just leads to more trouble as the other robber knows her too.
>
> The second episode has her husband's next door neighbor/friend asking
> Erin for help with a serious problem because he knows she can take
> care of herself. This unsurprising goes bad and then gets
> progressively worse. There's the B plot about her having issues with a
> bitchy neighbor that causes her problems with her job at the school.
>

> What did you watch?

I watched:

Training Day (4K disc) 2001 crime movie directed by Antoine Fuqua and
written by David Ayer. Denzel Washington stars as a crooked LAPD
undercover detective. Ethan Hawke costars as a young cop who wants to
join Denzel's elite unit and learns the hard way Denzel is corrupt. The
movie holds up great. I watched with the director's commentary.

The Tax Collector (4K disc) 2020 crime movie written and directed by
David Ayer. The movie is set in the "Training Day" universe and shares
an character played by the same actor. The plot involves a "tax
collector" who collects tribute from all the gangs of LA. Shia LaBeouf
costars as the Collector's psycho enforcer. They rule by fear and
intimidation until one day when a new gangster rolls into town and makes
a violent power play. The movie has horrible reviews, but I thought it
was OK. It's a David Ayer movie, you know what you're getting...

The Equalizer (4K disc) 2014 action movie directed by Antoine Fuqua and
starring Denzel Washington as an ex-CIA assassin who faked his death and
is retired (apparently using his real name) to a life of managing a
hardware store. He befriends a young Russian prostitute (Chloƫ Grace
Moretz) and tries to convince her to give up the life. After her
mobster pimps put her in the hospital Denzel goes to them and tries to
buy her freedom. But after they laugh in his face one thing leads to
another and Denzel winds up Equalizing the situation by slaughtering the
mobsters. Denzel then takes up a side hobby of being a vigilante while
the Russians sends their own top guy to the States to find out what
happened. This movie holds up great in large part to both Denzel's
performance and the villain. I've watched this movie a bunch of times
and it never fails to disappoint. I love the cat and mouse game between
Denzel and the Russian heavy who is just as good at his job as Denzel is
at his.

The Equalizer 2 (4K disc) 2018 action movie directed by Antoine Fuqua
and starring Denzel Washington as everyone's favorite ultraviolet
vigilante. The plot of this one is bit more simple, Denzel's good
friend and ex-CIA handler is murdered. Denzel then goes out a
slaughters the people who killed his friend. And the only thing he
regrets is he only gets to kill them once!

Foundation (AppleTV+) - "A Necessary Death" - I'm not going to try and
recap this! Stuff happened.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<ucid2t$1o823$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199887&group=rec.arts.tv#199887

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 08:05:01 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:05 UTC

On 8/27/23 7:52 PM, shawn wrote:

> In a day where I spent most of it getting rid of things I either
> haven't used in years or never plan to use I didn't watch much.
> Ended up getting rid of a lot of books including many from my
> college days that I'll never use.

I did something like that 5 or 6 years ago...

> Plus a lot of gear that I've
> collected over the years (mostly old computer parts) and some clothes
> that I was given and never wore.
>
> All that I ended up watching was the first two episodes of
> WHO IS ERIN CARTER?
> The premise is there is a woman who seems to be on the run from
> someone with her daughter so we see them getting on a fishing boat to
> leave for sunnier climes.

I know who Sean Teal is, and I know who Charlotte Vega is (that's almost
enough to get me to sample...), but I don't know who the lead, Evin
Ahmad, is - looks like she's only done Swedish stuff before this...

> What did you watch?

I actually took it easy yesterday, partly because watching the final day
of the Tour Championship took most of the day...:

soaps: GH - Brook Lynn confronts "Granny" Tracy, but gets basically
nowhere - Tracy is determined to take Deception. Sam tries to talk Cody
out of his hare-brained scheme to get committed, but reluctantly goes
along with it. Alexis meets NuNuMolly's surrogate. Willow wants to go
back to work as a nurse.

golf - The Tour Championship (final day).
Wow - Xander Schauffele set the course on fire on the final day,
shooting a 62, and it wasn't close to enough! - By that point, it didn't
matter - Victor Hovland was so far ahead as to be virtually uncatchable!
and Hovland shot a 63 himself anyway!!
So, Hovland blows 'em all away, to win by 5. Schauffele was a solid
second, finishing 6(!) up on #3, which was Wyndham Clark. Rory McIlroy
was fourth, and Patrick Cantlay fifth.
Still, this was a pretty satisfying end to a pretty good season of
PGA golf. :)

Cruel Summer (Hulu) - Ep's #2.5 & 2.6.
Meh. These episodes felt just like marking time...
Not much even really happened here - it's revealed that Megan was
preggers around the time of Luke's death. We discover that Isabella has
another "death" in her past [shocking... [roll]]
That was about it.
Four more episodes of this to go, but at this point I'm mostly
finishing this out of obligation...

Into the Deep (Hulu) - This 2022 flick seems to be a mostly-British
thriller film.
Ella-Rae Smith, who as these things goes has a quasi-tragic past
['natch! [roll!]], gets talked into going on the boat of a smooth
American (Matthew Daddario - the least important Daddario?!!). This
seems rash, esp. when she wakes up the next day, and he's taken her out
to sea without asking, though he smoothly (too smoothly) talks his way
out of it.
Things take a turn, though, when an injured jet skier, played by
Jessica Alexander, shows up. Of course, Alexander's character has a
secret (though it wasn't what I was expecting...).
It takes a while, but this builds (tension) fairly well in the
second half.
I'm not sure they quite nailed the ending, though - I would have
gone for a darker ending than what they gave us.
There is some naked nudity in this, if anyone cares...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<ucihfd$1p0su$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199897&group=rec.arts.tv#199897

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:19:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:19 UTC

On 8/27/2023 7:52 PM, shawn wrote:

> What did you watch?

Stargate SG-1 S10E09 'Company of Thieves' (Disc)
"The Odyssey is lured into a trap by the Lucian Alliance and falls under
their control. With Lt. Col. Samantha Carter a prisoner, Anateo -an
ambitious member of the Alliance- sets his sights on capturing all
members of SG-1. At the SGC, Vala volunteers to use her contacts to get
a ship to investigate what has happened but it leads to her and Daniel
also being taken prisoner by Anateo. Mitchell suggests that he go in
undercover using the drug used by Daniel that will make others see
whatever he wants. His plan works until he is unmasked by someone from
his past. Sam, Vala and Daniel regain control of the Odyssey leading to
a confrontation with Netan."

Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: It's the wrong one! You can't just jam it in!
[Vala jams in the small crystal. The power grid activates. Carter
stares at it in surprise]
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: How did you do that?
Vala Mal Doran: Honestly? I don't know. That almost never normally
works.

Netan: You are the biggest fool in 2 galaxies.
Tenat: But Netan, I...[Netan disconnects] I screwed up.

Oranian Lieutenant: Shield failure is imminent.
Tenat: Damn you, Cam Mitchell.

Goof: When Vala fixes the hyperdrive, Sam talks to Daniel via comms, but
she never touches the device to activate it, she just hovers her finger
next to it. (I thought Anim proved that only red-headed doctors do that?)

Trivia: This episode marks Stargate SG-1 (1997) overtaking The X-Files
(1993) as the longest running North American science fiction series at
that time, though it was overtaken by Smallville (2001) in 2011. The
X-Files regained the record in 2018.
This is the first time in the Intro where you see Vala go through the
gate at the end, where she's running to catch up and Daniel waits for
her. The previous episode is where Vala officially joined SG-1.

Commentary. Director William Waring, writer Alan McCullough. They are
watching an edit without final FX. Judge had some ... interesting ...
comments about his undercover outfit that were not suitable to inclusion
in the commentary. All the pictures of the Lucian Alliance leadership
were of production crew members. The SG-1 production is a criminal
syndicate operation!! :P Waring has been using hand-held cameras more
and more.

-------------------

Stargate SG-1 S10E10 'The Quest: Part 1' (Disc)
"Thanks to Vala's dream, Daniel may have finally located the planet
where they will find the Ancients' super-weapon, the Sangraal. There
they find a society similar to the middle ages and learn that Ba'al was
there just a few days before in search of the same thing. Oscric, the
keeper of the town's library warns them that their journey is fraught
with peril and that the Sangraal is protected by a magical beast - a
dragon. When the Ori arrive, Oscric agrees to lead them to Merlin's
treasure. They face a number of challenges along the way - including a
time distortion field and a force field protected enclosure - and
something of a surprise as they work their way to the prize."

Vala Mal Doran: We have to steal it.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: We are not stealing the map!
Vala Mal Doran: Nightfall. Sneak in under cover of darkness.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Maybe if I can just talk to Osric and convince
him that our cause is virtuous.
Vala Mal Doran: Oh, that's brilliant. And while you're distracting
him, the rest of us can steal it.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: You should come with us.
Barkeep: My place is here. I'll be fine. I'll blame everything on you.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Good plan.

Error: Technically speaking, the "dragon" is a wyvern. It's commonly
accepted in heraldry that wyverns have two legs and dragons have four.
Character Error: In negotiating the time-dilation trap, Carter makes
several basic misjudgments which are unlikely given the character's
intellect and combat experience: She realises that inanimate objects can
be used to identify a safe path through the trap, yet decides to use
individual rocks instead of handfuls of the sand/soil which would
scatter and provide a much more accurate outline of the safe path. The
second rock she throws gets "stuck" in mid-air and she immediately
proclaims that it is a dead-end, however the rock only indicates where a
"wall" exists. There could easily be a junction at that point, or the
path of the throw could have been mere degrees off the safe path. She
assumes that all of the path junctions are at 90 degrees to the previous
safe route, and that the safe path has no deviations, low overhangs, or
tripping hazards. She proceeds quickly leading the team with no regard
for the potential for the entire team to become trapped.

Trivia: When Mitchell tells Adria she has done something with her eyes,
it is lampshading that Morena Baccarin reverted to her natural eye color
due to the difficulty she previously had with the contact lenses she
wore for her character.

Commentary: EP/writer Joseph Mallozzi, Director Andy Mikita. Mallozzi
played D&D as a kid. This episode came the closest to giving Mikita a
nervous breakdown because having everyone in almost every scene becomes
very difficult. They were disappointed by the dragon. They have a
pattern of guest stars wanting to come back or get in on Atlantis. The
people caught in the time distortion field were professional mimes. One
of the "goofs" in IMDb for this episode is pointing out that throwing
sand instead of rocks would have given a better view of where the path
in the time distortion field was. The commentators explain that. Using
sand instead of rocks would have completely blown the episode's budget.
:D Richard Dean Anderson is to blame for the production not doing
read-throughs. They did them in seasons 1 and 2 but RDA, being the
jokster he is, would be cracking jokes and wasting time so they couldn't
get thru the script. So by season 3 they just gave up on them. In the
Charity trap where everyone had to "give" something it was originally
scripted that Vala would pull out a stuffed giraffe and pause before
pulling the hair dryer out and putting that in the box. In the final
cut the giraffe was edited out but if you look closely while they are
packing up and moving out from there, Vala can be seen giving her
stuffed animal a quick kiss on the head before putting it away in her
pack. *awwwwww* :D The commentators expected the dragon to be bigger.

---------------------------

Stargate SG-1 S10E11 'The Quest: Part 2' (Disc)
"Daniel finds a way to defeat the dragon, but once back in the cave, the
Sangraal proves to be just a hologram. In attempting to touch it,
however, SG-1 and Ba'al are transported to another planet - Adria is
left behind. At their new site, they find not only Merlin's treasure but
Merlin himself - in ice-bound stasis, much as O'Neill was in Antarctica.
When they revive him, Merlin begins to construct the weapon, though he
is too weak to continue, leaving it to Daniel to finish the job. Sam and
Ba'al, meanwhile, try to get the gate functioning to allow them to dial
out. They have little time to succeed as Adria will soon arrive with her
Ori army."

Ba'al: Merlin's little trick with my vocal chords expired at the
same moment he did.
Teal'c: Yet another reason to mourn his passing.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: You don't get fancy mind powers unless
there's been major redecorating going on inside your skull.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: [to Vala] Well now you know the hard part
about being part of this team is not risking your own life. It's
watching your friends take chances with theirs. Congratulations. Now you
really are one of us.

Ba'al: What do you want?
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: I need your help. Look, I still think I'm
right about the obelisk, but I can't make heads or tails of its programming.
Ba'al: Well, that's hardly surprising. I mean, I know where you
come from, you're considered relatively intelligent, but by galactic
standards that's not really saying much. Wouldn't you agree?
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: [Carter punches Ba'al in the face] You
know, if you're not gonna help, then you're really not much use to us.
And if you're not much use to us, then there's really no point in
keeping you alive any longer. Wouldn't you agree?
Ba'al: I'd... err... be delighted to help.
Lt. Col. Samantha Carter: Great to hear it.

Trivia: Vala calls the dragon "Daryl". Daryl Dragon was the "Captain"
half of the music duo Captain & Tennille.

Commentary. EP Paul Mullie/writer, Director Andy Mikita. The
"holographic Sangraal" was a bit of a disappointment and earned the
nickname "The Legendary Nose of Bozo". Ba'al was based in personality
on Joseph Mallozzi.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<d9ipeippr7krp2miilkeicqmbt45vbiq2g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199899&group=rec.arts.tv#199899

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:28:43 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:28 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 07:53:59 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 8/27/2023 7:52 PM, shawn wrote:
>>
>> Sorry about that. I hit send before I had a chance to change the date
>> so it went out on the Saturday list.
>>
>> In a day where I spent most of it getting rid of things I either
>> haven't used in years or never plan to use I didn't watch much.
>
>I tend to put those items in a shed in my back yard. Although I did
>recently learn that the garbage company will schedule hauling away one
>large item for free and additional items at a cheap price. So I made
>use of that. :-)

Well I've been getting rid of things like cabling that isn't used any
more (no need for differential SCSI cables). Also getting rid of a lot
of old documents (financial and otherwise) that aren't needed. It's a
bunch of clutter that just filled up the space for no reason. Also
getting rid of a lot of books I'll never read or read again. Plus I
think I have them all in e-book form should I ever really want to read
them. Basically getting rid of hundreds of pounds of stuff and trying
to keep busy.

I found that my mother's death brought back some dark thoughts that I
can only keep at bay by staying busy. When I sit too long they come
back and they scare me because I don't want to die but after my dad's
suicide those thoughts like to creep in at bad times.

>> Ended up getting rid of a lot of books including many from my
>> college days that I'll never use. Plus a lot of gear that I've
>> collected over the years (mostly old computer parts) and some clothes
>> that I was given and never wore.
>>

>I'm real bad about having way too many clothes! But I am pretty good
>about donating clothes to goodwill every year.

I haven't been doing that which is why the things accumulated even
though I kept thinking I'll never wear that. Or I'll never fit into
those pants again (no longer a 31 inch waist) so why keep those jeans
around? Trying to keep busy is a good reason to do this cleanup.

>> All that I ended up watching was the first two episodes of
>> WHO IS ERIN CARTER?
>> The premise is there is a woman who seems to be on the run from
>> someone with her daughter so we see them getting on a fishing boat to
>> leave for sunnier climes. Then we jump forward five years to find the
>> woman living a normal life as teacher's assistant with a husband that
>> works as a nurse. Then things take a turn for the worse as she gets
>> caught up in a robbery at a grocery store only to end shooting one of
>> the robbers. One who apparently knew her from before this new life.
>> Which just leads to more trouble as the other robber knows her too.
>>
>> The second episode has her husband's next door neighbor/friend asking
>> Erin for help with a serious problem because he knows she can take
>> care of herself. This unsurprising goes bad and then gets
>> progressively worse. There's the B plot about her having issues with a
>> bitchy neighbor that causes her problems with her job at the school.
>>

>> What did you watch?
>

>I watched:
>

>Training Day (4K disc) 2001 crime movie directed by Antoine Fuqua and
>written by David Ayer. Denzel Washington stars as a crooked LAPD
>undercover detective. Ethan Hawke costars as a young cop who wants to
>join Denzel's elite unit and learns the hard way Denzel is corrupt. The
>movie holds up great. I watched with the director's commentary.

Don't remember the specifics but I have watched this long ago.

>The Tax Collector (4K disc) 2020 crime movie written and directed by
>David Ayer. The movie is set in the "Training Day" universe and shares
>an character played by the same actor. The plot involves a "tax
>collector" who collects tribute from all the gangs of LA. Shia LaBeouf
>costars as the Collector's psycho enforcer. They rule by fear and
>intimidation until one day when a new gangster rolls into town and makes
>a violent power play. The movie has horrible reviews, but I thought it
>was OK. It's a David Ayer movie, you know what you're getting...
>

>The Equalizer (4K disc) 2014 action movie directed by Antoine Fuqua and
>starring Denzel Washington as an ex-CIA assassin who faked his death and
>is retired (apparently using his real name) to a life of managing a
>hardware store. He befriends a young Russian prostitute (Chloƫ Grace
>Moretz) and tries to convince her to give up the life. After her
>mobster pimps put her in the hospital Denzel goes to them and tries to
>buy her freedom. But after they laugh in his face one thing leads to
>another and Denzel winds up Equalizing the situation by slaughtering the
>mobsters. Denzel then takes up a side hobby of being a vigilante while
>the Russians sends their own top guy to the States to find out what
>happened. This movie holds up great in large part to both Denzel's
>performance and the villain. I've watched this movie a bunch of times
>and it never fails to disappoint. I love the cat and mouse game between
>Denzel and the Russian heavy who is just as good at his job as Denzel is
>at his.

Agreed on all points. I love the way the Russian guy knocks on
Denzel's door and pretends to be a cop. After some questions the guy
starts to walk away but then Denzel slyly points out that he knows the
guy isn't a cop by asking a few questions of his own. Then there's the
meeting between the two where Denzel tells the Russian a story of a
young boy, again letting the Russian know just what Denzel's character
knows.

>The Equalizer 2 (4K disc) 2018 action movie directed by Antoine Fuqua
>and starring Denzel Washington as everyone's favorite ultraviolet
>vigilante. The plot of this one is bit more simple, Denzel's good
>friend and ex-CIA handler is murdered. Denzel then goes out a
>slaughters the people who killed his friend. And the only thing he
>regrets is he only gets to kill them once!

It's not as good as the first but still a good movie.

>Foundation (AppleTV+) - "A Necessary Death" - I'm not going to try and
>recap this! Stuff happened.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<eripeitlj8g1ak52d88av1g4fkqrtkqllf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199901&group=rec.arts.tv#199901

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:31:29 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:31 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 08:05:01 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 8/27/23 7:52 PM, shawn wrote:
>
>> In a day where I spent most of it getting rid of things I either
>> haven't used in years or never plan to use I didn't watch much.
>> Ended up getting rid of a lot of books including many from my
>> college days that I'll never use.
>
>I did something like that 5 or 6 years ago...

I should have done this 20 years ago. Really once I was done with
school and wasn't going to be able to sell them no need to keep most
of the books as they weren't going to be any use in my career.

>> Plus a lot of gear that I've
>> collected over the years (mostly old computer parts) and some clothes
>> that I was given and never wore.
>>
>> All that I ended up watching was the first two episodes of
>> WHO IS ERIN CARTER?
>> The premise is there is a woman who seems to be on the run from
>> someone with her daughter so we see them getting on a fishing boat to
>> leave for sunnier climes.
>
>I know who Sean Teal is, and I know who Charlotte Vega is (that's almost
>enough to get me to sample...), but I don't know who the lead, Evin
>Ahmad, is - looks like she's only done Swedish stuff before this...

Sean Teal plays a large role in the show while Charlotte Vega is in
the B plot as the bitchy next door neighbor, but you do get to see her
in her tight workout clothes.

<uciibs$1p47i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199903&group=rec.arts.tv#199903

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:35:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:35 UTC

>28 Aug 2023 07:53:59 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>:

>>. . .

>Well I've been getting rid of things like cabling that isn't used any
>more (no need for differential SCSI cables).

Differential? You've whooshed me.

>. . .

>I found that my mother's death brought back some dark thoughts that I
>can only keep at bay by staying busy. When I sit too long they come
>back and they scare me because I don't want to die but after my dad's
>suicide those thoughts like to creep in at bad times.

I'm sorry.

At least Usenet is, er, soothing.

>>I'm real bad about having way too many clothes! But I am pretty good
>>about donating clothes to goodwill every year.

Donate clothes? I wear mine till the holes get too big, then toss 'em.

>. . .

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<sqjpeid21qtgc6gh6au57e9o5plvsp7rs3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199904&group=rec.arts.tv#199904

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:50:36 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:50 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:35:08 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>28 Aug 2023 07:53:59 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>:
>
>>>. . .
>
>>Well I've been getting rid of things like cabling that isn't used any
>>more (no need for differential SCSI cables).
>
>Differential? You've whooshed me.

They are heavier than regular SCSI cable because they double up on the
wiring to handle cross talk. Think of the way copper phone wires are
twisted together and you get the idea.

>>. . .
>
>>I found that my mother's death brought back some dark thoughts that I
>>can only keep at bay by staying busy. When I sit too long they come
>>back and they scare me because I don't want to die but after my dad's
>>suicide those thoughts like to creep in at bad times.
>
>I'm sorry.

Thanks. It would be easier if I were working but I'm in the midst of a
job search and after having been out of work for a while, while
helping out my mother it's not going so well. Which isn't helping my
mood at all. At least if I were working I would keep my mind occupied
all day.

>At least Usenet is, er, soothing.

At times.. If we stay out of politics.

>>>I'm real bad about having way too many clothes! But I am pretty good
>>>about donating clothes to goodwill every year.
>
>Donate clothes? I wear mine till the holes get too big, then toss 'em.

Heh. I've got some of those too. Though a lot of the holes appear to
have been caused by a moth that got in laid eggs which then proceeded
to put little holes everywhere in my all cotton clothes. While not
touching those that weren't cotton.
>>. . .

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<ucijo4$1pekj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199907&group=rec.arts.tv#199907

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:58:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:58 UTC

>Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:35:08 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:
>>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>>Well I've been getting rid of things like cabling that isn't used any
>>>more (no need for differential SCSI cables).

>>Differential? You've whooshed me.

>They are heavier than regular SCSI cable because they double up on the
>wiring to handle cross talk. Think of the way copper phone wires are
>twisted together and you get the idea.

Is this for a longer run of cable?

Looking it up, the ribbon cable for 50-pin connectors didn't have
crosstalk issues. Apple ruined everything with the DB-25 connectors, in
which crosstalk was an issue.

>>>. . .

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<0ropeih4g4djondccvp4j67t1fvq158cd1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199915&group=rec.arts.tv#199915

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:14:40 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 18:14 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:58:44 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>>Differential? You've whooshed me.
>
>>They are heavier than regular SCSI cable because they double up on the
>>wiring to handle cross talk. Think of the way copper phone wires are
>>twisted together and you get the idea.

>Is this for a longer run of cable?

Yes, regular SCSI is limited to about 6 meters. While differential
SCSI can go up to about 25 meters.

>Looking it up, the ribbon cable for 50-pin connectors didn't have
>crosstalk issues. Apple ruined everything with the DB-25 connectors, in
>which crosstalk was an issue.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<ucj7fv$1sp0p$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=199940&group=rec.arts.tv#199940

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:35:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:35 UTC

>On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:58:44 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
><ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>>They are heavier than regular SCSI cable because they double up on the
>>>wiring to handle cross talk. Think of the way copper phone wires are
>>>twisted together and you get the idea.
>

>>Is this for a longer run of cable?
>>

>Yes, regular SCSI is limited to about 6 meters. While differential
>SCSI can go up to about 25 meters.

Thanks

>>Looking it up, the ribbon cable for 50-pin connectors didn't have
>>crosstalk issues. Apple ruined everything with the DB-25 connectors, in
>>which crosstalk was an issue.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-27 (Sunday)

<uckjqk$27rt9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200016&group=rec.arts.tv#200016

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>Well I've been getting rid of things like cabling that isn't used any
>more (no need for differential SCSI cables). Also getting rid of a lot
>of old documents (financial and otherwise) that aren't needed. It's a
>bunch of clutter that just filled up the space for no reason. Also
>getting rid of a lot of books I'll never read or read again. Plus I
>think I have them all in e-book form should I ever really want to read
>them. Basically getting rid of hundreds of pounds of stuff and trying
>to keep busy.
>
>I found that my mother's death brought back some dark thoughts that I
>can only keep at bay by staying busy. When I sit too long they come
>back and they scare me because I don't want to die but after my dad's
>suicide those thoughts like to creep in at bad times.

Have you considered calling a suicide helpline?

--
Let's go Brandon!