Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: ABC basing dramedy on "Maid In Manhattan"
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:13 UTC

On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 2:01:38 AM UTC-4, David wrote:
> from the hollywood reporter
> ABC dramedy is 'Maid' to order
> Jennifer Lopez film is coming to the small screen
> By Nellie Andreeva
> ABC is bringing the Jennifer Lopez starrer "Maid in Manhattan" to the
> small screen.
> The network is in negotiations for a series adaptation of the 2002
> romantic comedy to be penned by Chad Hodge and executive produced by
> Lopez, Joe Roth and the film's producer, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas.
> The hourlong dramedy, which is getting a put pilot commitment, is not
> a remake of the hit feature, which centered on Marisa Ventura (Lopez),
> a struggling single mother from the Bronx who works as a maid at a
> swanky Manhattan hotel, where a rising politician guest (Ralph
> Fiennes) falls for her after mistaking her for a wealthy socialite.
> "The show is a different maid in a different Manhattan," Hodge said.
> The lead in the TV version will still be a young Latina from the Bronx
> working at a Manhattan hotel who tries to make it in the world. But
> the series will focus mostly on her relationships with co-workers.
> "While the hotel's clientele is an obvious part of this world, I'm
> more interested in the downstairs part of 'Upstairs, Downstairs,' "
> Hodge said, referring to the classic British series.
> Hodge was approached with the idea of adapting "Maid" by Roth, whose
> company Revolution Studios produced the feature, and Nina Lederman,
> president of Roth's current company Joe Roth Television.
> Hodge, who had written a couple of ABC Family romantic comedies,
> immediately connected with the idea.
> "I imagine being a writer in Hollywood is often very similar to being
> a maid in Manhattan," he said.
> Lopez, a Bronx native, has been very involved, providing "a fountain
> of ideas," Hodge said. "She will be very integral in the pilot and
> series," he said.
> In addition to Hodge, Lopez, Roth and Goldsmith-Thomas, Lederman and
> Lopez's producing partner Simon Fields also will serve as executive
> producers on the project.
> This is the second time that ABC and Roth are taking a stab at a
> series adaptation of "Maid," which grossed $93.8 million at the
> domestic box office. They developed a script with a different writer
> during the 2004-05 development season.
> On ABC, "Maid" could be a suitable companion for the network's dramedy
> "Ugly Betty," which also centers on a hardworking young Latina in New
> York with big dreams.
> Series based on features are hot at ABC this summer. The network also
> is developing a new take on the 1987 hit "The Witches of Eastwick."
> "Maid" is the second high-profile project for Hodge in the past few
> weeks following the sale of a Studio 54-themed drama for Showtime that
> Craig Zadan and Neil Meron are executive producing and Bryan Singer is
> potentially directing.
> "Maid" was packaged by WMA, which reps all parties involved.
> [...]

"Former head of the International Monetary Fund, or IMF, Dominique Strauss-Khan has publicly admitted that despite all that has happened in recent weeks, he still enjoys "Maid In Manhattan."

The 2002 film about Jennifer Lopez falling for a high ranking political figure, played by Ralph Fiennes, has long been a favourite of Strauss-Khan. Indeed, it may have been this very film that got him into trouble in the first place when he was heard ordering it to his room on the night in question."

Strauss-Khan Says He Still Likes The Film 'Maid In Manhattan'
The Spoof - July 4, 2011
-- https://www.thespoof.com/spoof-news/world/97900/strauss-khan-says-he-still-likes-the-film-maid-in-manhattan