Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored. -- George Saunders' dying words

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)suzeeq
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)shawn
 | +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)Arthur Lipscomb
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)Ubiquitous
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)Dimensional Traveler

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<UBI20230829@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200155&group=rec.arts.tv#200155

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

While preparing for Vidalia to strike, I watched:

THE WEATHER CHANNEL:
The is the largest a closest a hurricane has been in recorded history.
It's totally uncharted territory here.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<ucnht7$2ok1h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200192&group=rec.arts.tv#200192

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 06:57:59 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:57 UTC

On 8/30/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

Yesterday was a pretty full workday, but I managed to squeeze a movie in:

soaps: DOOL - DOOL continues to alternate between OriginalPhilip and
"NuPhilip", and now they're back to "NuPhilip" - John-Paul Lavoisier is
back as Philip. Philip claims to Chloe that he's "normal" again... we'll
see! Xander takes Sarah to the hospital when she has false labor pains,
and finds out that Sarah is engaged to Rex. Shawn refuses AA and fires
Marlena as his therapist - I'm guessing they will write Belle out when
she becomes so disgusted with Shawn that she leaves town.
GH - Honestly, I don't even remember what happened this episode - I
think it was basically nothing.

Watcher (Hulu) - This 2022 film is a very "slow burn", low-key
cat-and-mouse thriller flick. (Some might call it horror, but I don't
consider it so...)
Maika Monroe plays a newlywed(?) who moves to Bucharest, Romania
with her husband. She is unemployed, can't really speak the language,
and he works too much. Soon enough, they run across a crime scene, and
discover there's a serial killer at work in Bucharest.
Meanwhile, Monroe is being creeped out by a neighbor across the way
who always seems to be watching her. Eventually, she also comes to
believe that someone is following her. Her husband is a jerk and is
generally unsupportive.
The neighbor across the way is eventually revealed to be played by
Burn Gorman - if you know who Gorman is, you know how this is going to
go!! (I think I've seen Gorman play a "good guy", like, *once*!)
If you don't mind "slow burn" and creepy, this film is decent.
However, I disliked the ending - it made no sense, and felt like
"fan service". It felt like they had one ending in mind, but then test
screenings forced them to go in a different direction. They should have
stuck with their first instincts...
Sidenote: While (very) well-reviewed, this film was actually a box
office bomb of sorts - with an apparent budget of $6 mil, they only made
half that back in global box office. This surprised me.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<ucnl29$o9o0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200194&group=rec.arts.tv#200194

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:51:48 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:51 UTC

On 8/30/2023 6:57 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 8/30/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Yesterday was a pretty full workday, but I managed to squeeze a movie in:
>
> soaps: DOOL - DOOL continues to alternate between OriginalPhilip and
> "NuPhilip", and now they're back to "NuPhilip" - John-Paul Lavoisier is
> back as Philip.

I can't believe how much he looked like Daniel Jonas with that beard.

> Philip claims to Chloe that he's "normal" again... we'll
> see! Xander takes Sarah to the hospital when she has false labor pains, > and finds out that Sarah is engaged to Rex. Shawn refuses AA and fires
> Marlena as his therapist - I'm guessing they will write Belle out when
> she becomes so disgusted with Shawn that she leaves town.
>    GH - Honestly, I don't even remember what happened this episode - I
> think it was basically nothing.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<9fmueihfni1j129di8o5licvj77qik16s3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200202&group=rec.arts.tv#200202

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:08:19 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:08 UTC

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:51:48 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>On 8/30/2023 6:57 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 8/30/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Yesterday was a pretty full workday, but I managed to squeeze a movie in:
>>
>> soaps: DOOL - DOOL continues to alternate between OriginalPhilip and
>> "NuPhilip", and now they're back to "NuPhilip" - John-Paul Lavoisier is
>> back as Philip.
>
>I can't believe how much he looked like Daniel Jonas with that beard.
>
>> Philip claims to Chloe that he's "normal" again... we'll
>> see! Xander takes Sarah to the hospital when she has false labor pains, > and finds out that Sarah is engaged to Rex. Shawn refuses AA and fires
>> Marlena as his therapist - I'm guessing they will write Belle out when
>> she becomes so disgusted with Shawn that she leaves town.
>>    GH - Honestly, I don't even remember what happened this episode - I
>> think it was basically nothing.

I watched the Babylon 5 movie, THE LONG ROAD HOME. So many replacement
voices because the cast has lost so many along the way. I thought
Lanier was being played by someone else as I didn't recognize Billy
Mumy's voice. Glad to see they went ahead and brought back all of the
well known characters even if they had to get replacement VAs.

As for the story the gist of it is that the Minbari have a new power
station that they want Sheridan to help with an opening ceremony. Only
to have something go wrong so Sheridan ends up unstuck in time and
space so he ends jumping through time/space and even into alternate
time lines. He eventually finds that not only is the experience
proving dangerous for himself but also could be dangerous for all
existence. He finally gets guidance on how to get back home from
not-G'Kar.

I liked it. Not the most exciting of stories as the action was limited
but for any B5 fans I recommend it.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<ucnm75$2pcvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200203&group=rec.arts.tv#200203

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:11:34 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:11 UTC

Stargate SG-1 S10E15 'Bounty' (Disc)
"After SG-1 successfully destroys a major shipment of corn, the Lucian
Alliance leader Netan puts a bounty on them. With some time off, the
members of SG-1 pursue their own interests. Sam is giving a lecture at a
conference, Daniel is conducting research, Teal'c is off-world with the
Jaffa and Mitchell attends a high school reunion with Vala in tow.
Daniel and Sam escape their pursuers without injury and Teal'c is
wounded. Vala is having good time, learning more about Mitchell and
meeting Amy Vandenberg, the woman he never had the nerve to ask out when
they were in high school. After Mitchell is taken prisoner, SG-1 soon
arrives to help out their colleagues."

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Intel looks good. We got ourselves a space
train full of evil Orville Redenbacher.

Female Grad: Now, I can't remember, did you go to G.W.?
Vala Mal Doran: Oh, I didn't attend school as much as I was sold as
a domestic servant to a weapons smuggler named Fierenze. After I killed
him and won my freedom, I considered my education more or less complete.

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: [regarding Amy Vandenberg] She's a
nice girl. I like her.
Vala Mal Doran: Nice? She's a cure for insomnia.

Trivia: Amy, Lt Col Mitchell's high school crush, is played by Anne
Marie DeLuise, wife of the show's producer and episode director Peter
DeLuise. (Cam's hitting on the boss' wife! NO! It's worse, the boss'
wife is hitting on HIM!)

Commentary. Producer John Lenic, DP Jim Menard. There is a lot of talk
about the logistics of production since that's what Lenic does. Claudia
Black was nominated for a Spacey Award as the most annoying character on
science fiction television. :P At some point, after this episode, the
show lost the use of Heritage House as a location when one of the crew
put a ladder thru a priceless chandelier. Oops. Claudia enjoyed
showing off in her farm girl outfit. O_O Peter DeLuise shoots fast.
Mitchell got his first kiss in the show in this episode and they feel
they have to point out it wasn't with an alien. As far as Cam knows. :P

-------------------

Stargate SG-1 S10E16 'Bad Guys' (Disc)
"Daniel thinks he's found the gate address to a location where they will
find the key to infinite riches and a vast treasure stored by the
Ancients before they ascended. General Landry gives SG-1 - without Sam
who is in Washington briefing the president on her recent experiences in
the alternate universe - approval to explore. They arrive in a modern
day museum but find that they are unable to dial as the DHD is only a
mock-up. When the people in the museum see them, they assume the team
are local rebels, members of a radical religious sect. The museum is
quickly surrounded by government troops who simply won't accept their
explanation that they are explorers from another world. SG-1 is left
with little choice but keep some of the locals as prisoner until they
find a way out."

[two female hostages start pulling each other's hair and shrieking
at each other]
Dr. Daniel Jackson: [shouting] What the hell are you doing? Stop it!
Hesellven: She started it.
Sylvana: [shouting] I think you started it when you kissed Heron!
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Shut up! Shut up! You're hostages. This is like
a-a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it.
Sylvana: Oh, please. You're not rebels. We're not deaf, you know.
Everyone in this room knows it.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: That doesn't matter. You're hostages. We're
your - we're your captors. We're heavily armed. There's a - there's
rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this.
[she glares at him]
Dr. Daniel Jackson: Don't eyeball me.

Teal'c: Should we not wait until Colonel Carter returns from
Washington?
Major General Hank Landry: She's still there briefing the President
on the scenario that played out in the alternate reality where the
Stargate was made public.
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell: Well that's taking longer than it was
supposed to.
Dr. Daniel Jackson: It could be a good way to examine what might
happen here.
Major General Hank Landry: Sounds like President Hayes is having a
hard time just getting past the fact that he wasn't President.

Trivia: The cast learned of the series' cancellation during the filming
of this episode.
The first edit of the episode ran for 66 minutes and 22 minutes had to
be cut. A key cut scene explains why Daniel loses his temper with the
bickering female hostages, which is otherwise very out of character.
Several other deleted scenes of the guard parody similar scenes in Die
Hard (1988).

Commentary: None.

End of another disc. BTS featurette for 'The Shroud', "Life as a tech
with Gary Jones" and photo galleries.

What Did You Watch?

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<ucp787$34cgu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200292&group=rec.arts.tv#200292

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:08:23 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 05:08 UTC

On 8/30/2023 8:08 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:51:48 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Yesterday was a pretty full workday, but I managed to squeeze a movie in:
>>>
>>> soaps: DOOL - DOOL continues to alternate between OriginalPhilip and
>>> "NuPhilip", and now they're back to "NuPhilip" - John-Paul Lavoisier is
>>> back as Philip.
>>
>> I can't believe how much he looked like Daniel Jonas with that beard.
>>
>>> Philip claims to Chloe that he's "normal" again... we'll
>>> see! Xander takes Sarah to the hospital when she has false labor pains, > and finds out that Sarah is engaged to Rex. Shawn refuses AA and fires
>>> Marlena as his therapist - I'm guessing they will write Belle out when
>>> she becomes so disgusted with Shawn that she leaves town.
>>>    GH - Honestly, I don't even remember what happened this episode - I
>>> think it was basically nothing.
>>>

> I watched the Babylon 5 movie, THE LONG ROAD HOME. So many replacement
> voices because the cast has lost so many along the way. I thought
> Lanier was being played by someone else as I didn't recognize Billy
> Mumy's voice. Glad to see they went ahead and brought back all of the
> well known characters even if they had to get replacement VAs.
>
> As for the story the gist of it is that the Minbari have a new power
> station that they want Sheridan to help with an opening ceremony. Only
> to have something go wrong so Sheridan ends up unstuck in time and
> space so he ends jumping through time/space and even into alternate
> time lines. He eventually finds that not only is the experience
> proving dangerous for himself but also could be dangerous for all
> existence. He finally gets guidance on how to get back home from
> not-G'Kar.
>
> I liked it. Not the most exciting of stories as the action was limited
> but for any B5 fans I recommend it.

I'm really looking forward to watching it. But I'm using all of my
willpower to hold off until I can revisit the original series first.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-08-29 (Tuesday)

<ucpm8v$366l4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200320&group=rec.arts.tv#200320

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>I watched the Babylon 5 movie, THE LONG ROAD HOME. So many replacement
>voices because the cast has lost so many along the way. I thought
>Lanier was being played by someone else as I didn't recognize Billy
>Mumy's voice. Glad to see they went ahead and brought back all of the
>well known characters even if they had to get replacement VAs.
>
>As for the story the gist of it is that the Minbari have a new power
>station that they want Sheridan to help with an opening ceremony. Only
>to have something go wrong so Sheridan ends up unstuck in time and
>space so he ends jumping through time/space and even into alternate
>time lines. He eventually finds that not only is the experience
>proving dangerous for himself but also could be dangerous for all
>existence. He finally gets guidance on how to get back home from
>not-G'Kar.
>
>I liked it. Not the most exciting of stories as the action was limited
>but for any B5 fans I recommend it.

I want to see this at some point.

--
Let's go Brandon!