arts / rec.arts.tv / News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

SubjectAuthor
* News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee DisputeIan J. Ball
+- Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriageanim8rfsk
`* Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Disputeshawn
 `* Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee DisputeBTR1701
  `* Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriageanim8rfsk
   +* Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee DisputeBTR1701
   |`- Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Feetrotsky
   +* Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage FeeIan J. Ball
   |`- Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage FeeIan J. Ball
   `- Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee DisputeA Friend

1
News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<ucrfbu$3garl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200474&group=rec.arts.tv#200474

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:39:10 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 01:39 UTC

30 minutes ago on turn on ESPN to be greeted with a Spectrum notice that
Disney cable channels are off Spectrum in another fee dispute.

Checked Freeform - nope. Checked Disney Channel - nope.

ABC is OK - I guess it's not considered a "cable" channel (and I can get
ABC OTA anyway...).

Deadline's article:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-espn-blackout-charter-spectrum-1235533518/

I'm rooting for Spectrum here - the broadcast/studio goons keep jacking
up carriage fees, forcing the cable co's to pass it on to consumers.
Spectrum and the others need to hold the line, and tell the broadcasters
to stuff it.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<1701432424.715237948.208003.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200503&group=rec.arts.tv#200503

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage
Fee Dispute
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:13:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 05:13 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> 30 minutes ago on turn on ESPN to be greeted with a Spectrum notice that
> Disney cable channels are off Spectrum in another fee dispute.
>
> Checked Freeform - nope. Checked Disney Channel - nope.

SQUIGGGGGLLLLLLLLLE

> ABC is OK - I guess it's not considered a "cable" channel (and I can get
> ABC OTA anyway...).
>

> Deadline's article:
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-espn-blackout-charter-spectrum-1235533518/
>

> I'm rooting for Spectrum here - the broadcast/studio goons keep jacking
> up carriage fees, forcing the cable co's to pass it on to consumers.
> Spectrum and the others need to hold the line, and tell the broadcasters
> to stuff it.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<csu2fid047ejuope4pu0acj5j8ad31pnj7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200509&group=rec.arts.tv#200509

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 01:53:12 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 05:53 UTC

On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:39:10 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>30 minutes ago on turn on ESPN to be greeted with a Spectrum notice that
>Disney cable channels are off Spectrum in another fee dispute.
>
>Checked Freeform - nope. Checked Disney Channel - nope.

Yeah, I saw this last night being mentioned over on Twitter. Lot of
people switching to Youtube TV according to the various tweets because
yesterday was the opening day for college football with a couple of
games going on.

>ABC is OK - I guess it's not considered a "cable" channel (and I can get
>ABC OTA anyway...).
>

>Deadline's article:
>
>https://deadline.com/2023/08/disney-espn-blackout-charter-spectrum-1235533518/
>

>I'm rooting for Spectrum here - the broadcast/studio goons keep jacking
>up carriage fees, forcing the cable co's to pass it on to consumers.
>Spectrum and the others need to hold the line, and tell the broadcasters
>to stuff it.

Yeah, I don't like that it comes to this but if they can break the
strangle hold that these companies have on the cable/satellite
companies and stop them forcing carriage of the various channels so
that we can have true ala carte choice of channels, well, we all
benefit. I would love not to have pay for sports channels that I'll
never watch, but that's impossible today if you want to get cable TV.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<atropos-6BC53F.11593802092023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200825&group=rec.arts.tv#200825

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 11:59:38 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 18:59 UTC

In article <csu2fid047ejuope4pu0acj5j8ad31pnj7@4ax.com>,

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:39:10 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >30 minutes ago on turn on ESPN to be greeted with a Spectrum notice that
> >Disney cable channels are off Spectrum in another fee dispute.
> >
> >Checked Freeform - nope. Checked Disney Channel - nope.
>
> Yeah, I saw this last night being mentioned over on Twitter. Lot of
> people switching to Youtube TV according to the various tweets because
> yesterday was the opening day for college football with a couple of
> games going on.

The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
a match at the U.S. Open.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<2017591571.715389311.853394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200858&group=rec.arts.tv#200858

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Fee Dispute
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 16:20:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 23:20 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <csu2fid047ejuope4pu0acj5j8ad31pnj7@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:39:10 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 30 minutes ago on turn on ESPN to be greeted with a Spectrum notice that
>>> Disney cable channels are off Spectrum in another fee dispute.
>>>
>>> Checked Freeform - nope. Checked Disney Channel - nope.
>>
>> Yeah, I saw this last night being mentioned over on Twitter. Lot of
>> people switching to Youtube TV according to the various tweets because
>> yesterday was the opening day for college football with a couple of
>> games going on.
>
> The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
> a match at the U.S. Open.

A friend of mine on the East Coast has spectrum and wants to know if
there’s anything he can do with a VPN or something to watch his sports?

Me, I’d love it if they dumped ESPN here since I have to pay $10 a month
for a channel I never watch.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<atropos-5E4F0A.16222802092023@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200860&group=rec.arts.tv#200860

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 16:22:28 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 23:22 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <csu2fid047ejuope4pu0acj5j8ad31pnj7@4ax.com>,
> > shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah, I saw this last night being mentioned over on Twitter. Lot of
> >> people switching to Youtube TV according to the various tweets because
> >> yesterday was the opening day for college football with a couple of
> >> games going on.
> >
> > The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
> > a match at the U.S. Open.
> >
> A friend of mine on the East Coast has spectrum and wants to know if
> there's anything he can do with a VPN or something to watch his sports?
>
> Me, I'd love it if they dumped ESPN here since I have to pay $10 a month
> for a channel I never watch.

I only watch it during football season.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<ud0l87$jki5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200883&group=rec.arts.tv#200883

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee
Dispute
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:50:15 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 00:50 UTC

On 9/2/23 4:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <csu2fid047ejuope4pu0acj5j8ad31pnj7@4ax.com>,
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I saw this last night being mentioned over on Twitter. Lot of
>>> people switching to Youtube TV according to the various tweets because
>>> yesterday was the opening day for college football with a couple of
>>> games going on.
>>
>> The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
>> a match at the U.S. Open.
>
> A friend of mine on the East Coast has spectrum and wants to know if
> there’s anything he can do with a VPN or something to watch his sports?
>
> Me, I’d love it if they dumped ESPN here since I have to pay $10 a month
> for a channel I never watch.

Peacock also has US Open matches. I dunno if they have all of them. But
they have some of them.

Not sure about ESPN+ - they might have them, but they might not.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<020920232218317591%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200891&group=rec.arts.tv#200891

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 22:18:31 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:18 UTC

In article
<2017591571.715389311.853394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <csu2fid047ejuope4pu0acj5j8ad31pnj7@4ax.com>,
> > shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah, I saw this last night being mentioned over on Twitter. Lot of
> >> people switching to Youtube TV according to the various tweets because
> >> yesterday was the opening day for college football with a couple of
> >> games going on.
> >
> > The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
> > a match at the U.S. Open.
> >

> A friend of mine on the East Coast has spectrum and wants to know if
> there¹s anything he can do with a VPN or something to watch his sports?
>
> Me, I¹d love it if they dumped ESPN here since I have to pay $10 a month
> for a channel I never watch.

I never watch it, either, and I have to pay $14. What a con.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<ud0qme$o21a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200893&group=rec.arts.tv#200893

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dispute
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 19:23:10 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:23 UTC

On 9/2/23 5:50 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> On 9/2/23 4:20 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
>>> a match at the U.S. Open.
>>
>> A friend of mine on the East Coast has spectrum and wants to know if
>> there’s anything he can do with a VPN or something to watch his sports?
>>
>> Me, I’d love it if they dumped ESPN here since I have to pay $10 a month
>> for a channel I never watch.
>
> Peacock also has US Open matches.

Maybe not - I didn't notice any matches when I went into Peacock this
evening. (They might have only had "qualifying" matches before the
tournament.)

> I dunno if they have all of them. But
> they have some of them.
>
> Not sure about ESPN+ - they might have them, but they might not.

So it must have been Hulu where I've seen matches - ergo, ESPN+ must be
carrying some of them.

Re: News: Spectrum Drops Disney Channels in Another Carriage Fee Dispute

<CMZIM.208083$nEzb.192234@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200931&group=rec.arts.tv#200931

Dispute
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 06:06:10 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 11:06 UTC

On 9/2/23 6:22 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article
> <2017591571.715389311.853394.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> The girlfriend was furious. It literally cut off right in the middle of
>>> a match at the U.S. Open.
>>>
>> A friend of mine on the East Coast has spectrum and wants to know if
>> there's anything he can do with a VPN or something to watch his sports?
>>
>> Me, I'd love it if they dumped ESPN here since I have to pay $10 a month
>> for a channel I never watch.
>
> I only watch it during football season.

HFTI--Holy fuck that's interesting.