When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do a half roll or a half loop?

arts / rec.arts.tv / Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

SubjectAuthor
* Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’sanim8rfsk
+- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected proDimensional Traveler
+* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected proIan J. Ball
|`* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’sanim8rfsk
| `* Re: Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programmingA Friend
|  +* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingshawn
|  |`* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’sanim8rfsk
|  | `* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingshawn
|  |  +* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programminganim8rfsk
|  |  |+- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingBTR1701
|  |  |`* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingshawn
|  |  | +* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  |  | |`- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programminganim8rfsk
|  |  | `- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programminganim8rfsk
|  |  `* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingA Friend
|  |   +- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
|  |   `* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programminganim8rfsk
|  |    `- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingshawn
|  `* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingBTR1701
|   `* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin¹sanim8rfsk
|    `- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin¹s selected prograDimensional Traveler
+* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’sanim8rfsk
|`* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected proIan J. Ball
| +- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programmingAdam H. Kerman
| +* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’sanim8rfsk
| |`* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected proIan J. Ball
| | `- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’sanim8rfsk
| +- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingshawn
| `* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programmingBTR1701
|  `- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected proIan J. Ball
`* Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programmingEd Stasiak
 `- Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programmingshawn

Pages:12
Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<292459697.715459708.808087.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=200987&group=rec.arts.tv#200987

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s
selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 11:50:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 18:50 UTC

Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

Thursday, Sept. 7

Streaming:

Comedy Island Philippines (special) (12:01 am, Prime Video)

Every 100 years, the best of humanity are chosen to participate in the
Centennial Games, vying for the Gift that could change the world. Only
problem is the ones who arrived are clueless celebrities who have no idea
what's going on. But when the Gift suddenly goes missing, they must unmask
the thief, or else, be stuck on the island forever.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28506548/

Dear Child [Liebes Kind] [new; complete limited series]
(3:01 am, Netflix

The twisted story of a kidnapping: Escaping captivity in a basement, a
young girl and her unconscious mother are found at the site of a car
accident. But the regained freedom offers neither salvation nor security.
German series; six episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuMvrHdgiE

https://www.netflix.com/title/81513233

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20863760/

Top Boy (complete final season 3) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Two London drug dealers ply their lucrative trade at a public housing
estate in East London. This is season five in the UK, where the series
originates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLYZ7OsymE

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/top-boy/season-5

https://www.netflix.com/title/80217669

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830379/ [rating 8.4]

Virgin River (complete part 1 of season 5) (3:01 am,
Netflix)

These are the first 10 episodes of the 12 from season five; the remaining
two will be released on Nov. 30. Already renewed for season six.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxkTUVliy88

https://www.netflix.com/title/80240027

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9077530/ [rating 7.4]

What If? (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

When a pair of newlywed musicians get trapped in a storm on their island
honeymoon, they must face difficult truths that could tear their marriage
apart. Filipino film; 1h 52m.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28634523/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81672418/

Star Trek: Lower Decks (season 4 premiere) (3:01 am,
Paramount+)

Animated series. Ten episodes released weekly through Nov. 9. Already
renewed for season 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQwncbQx04

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/star-trek-lower-decks/season-4

Twisted Marriage Therapist (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

A couple seeks counseling to save their marriage with a caring therapist;
but the husband soon realizes that she is obsessed with his wife and will
do anything to get her. Postponed from August 24. Stars Marija Abney,
Pha'Rez Lass, and Jennifer Sears.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27759718/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__LH5QW75YQ

Tubi also has "The Therapist" from 2023, described as "A married couple
seeks professional help in hopes of fixing their marriage, but things turn
as their therapist becomes obsessed with the husband."

https://tubitv.com/movies/720832/the-therapist

Broadcast and cable:

As Luck Would Have It: Old Flames, New Fires (movie) (8 pm, LMN)

Gabbi Luck [Jackée Harry] is an ex-criminology professor whose personal
luck hits a snag after reuniting with a former associate and Dean of
Criminology at Whitmore College.

When Lisa's [Mea Wilkerson] father Michael becomes a person of interest in
the untimely death of his ex-business partner, she must do whatever she can
to help. Though reluctant to do so, this means she will need to enlist the
aid of her mother, Gabbi, to lend a hand (and her brain). Second of three
films in the series.

https://www.mylifetime.com/shows/as-luck-would-have-it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23784626/ [this movie]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23784102/ [series]

Thursday Night Football (live event) (8:15 pm, NBC)

The NFL season begins with the Detroit Lions at the Kansas City Chiefs.

Friday, Sept. 8

Streaming:

Sitting in Bars with Cake (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)

Inspired by true events, Sitting in Bars with Cake follows best friends
Jane (Yara Shahidi) and Corinne (Odessa A’zion) navigating life in Los
Angeles in their twenties. Corinne, the ultimate extrovert, convinces her
shy-but-extremely-talented home baker best friend Jane to commit to a year
of baking cakes and bringing them to bars, with the goal of meeting people
and developing confidence–also known as “cakebarring.” During their year of
“cakebarring,” Corinne receives a life-altering diagnosis, and the pair
face a challenge unlike anything they’ve experienced before. Sitting in
Bars with Cake isn't only a madcap joyride through some of L.A.’s most
colorful watering holes, it's a moving celebration of female friendship,
forging identity, and finding joy in the most unexpected places. Based on
the cookbook Sitting in Bars with Cake by Audrey Shulman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBzFS40KD0Y

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8452344/

All or Nothing: The National Team in Qatar [new; complete limited
series] (12:01 am, Prime Video)

Accompanies the DFB [German] team on their way to and during the World Cup
in Qatar and offers football fans a unique look behind the scenes,
especially during the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXbEspRowc

How to Date Billy Walsh (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)

Follows a pair of childhood friends, Amelia [Charithra Chandran] and Archie
[Sebastian Croft]. Archie has always kept his love for her a secret, but
just as he builds up the courage to declare his feelings, Amelia falls for
Billy Walsh [Tanner Buchanan], the new transfer student. English film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16156616/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQFwrumBhU

The Changeling [new] (12:01 am, Apple TV+)

An eight-part adaptation of the book by Victor LaValle, The Changeling is
an adult fairy tale starring LaKeith Stanfield and Clark Backo as new
parents. Given the title—and Apple's description of the series as "a horror
story, a parenthood fable and a perilous odyssey through a New York City
you didn't know existed"—don't expect smooth sailing. Adina Porter, Alexis
Louder, and Samuel T. Herring (the frontman of the band Future Islands who
is making his acting debut) also star. The first three episodes stream
today; the rest follow weekly through Oct. 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jjAm2dBeo

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-changeling/season-1 [score 69]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8559532/

Burning Body [El cuerpo en llamas] [new; complete limited series]
(3:01 am, Netflix)

When a police officer is murdered and set on fire, all eyes focus on his
girlfriend and her lover. Inspired by true events. Spanish series; eight
episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PujHSPPm4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22073352/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81306170/

Rosa Peral's Tapes [Las Cintas de Rosa Peral] (documentary)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

This true-crime documentary film features Rosa Peral's first interview from
prison since she was convicted of murdering her partner aided by an
ex-lover. Spanish film; 1h 20m.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28687398/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81674394

Selling the OC (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)

The Oppenheim Group expands to Orange County, where an all-new real estate
team shows off lavish oceanfront listings and big personalities make waves.
Eight episodes; already renewed for season three.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81447330

Spy Ops [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

In this intense true crime series, intelligence operatives from MI6 to the
CIA share insider stories of spy craft, Cold War campaigns, and coups
carried out by covert agents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0R50cu-P0

https://www.netflix.com/title/81474104

A Time Called You [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
Netflix)

A grieving woman magically travels through time to 1998, where she meets a
man with an uncanny resemblance to her late love. Korean series; 12
episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roZzFHW1eYw

https://www.netflix.com/title/81569769

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21627438/

The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine, finds herself in a
war she never imagined and discovers middle America suburbia has changed
when her thirteen year old sister, Aimee, is abducted by sex traffickers.
Stars Ana Alexander, Jet Jandreau [as Jessica] and Jamie Timmons. 1 hr 41
min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzXT8_1LN4

https://tubitv.com/movies/100007651/the-vigilante

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5660834/ [as "Aimee"]

Underdeveloped [new] (3:01 am, Tubi)

Mockumentary series which focuses on a group of failed and inexperienced
producers working together at a production company. Six episodes.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<ud2qos$12fbh$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201002&group=rec.arts.tv#201002

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re:_Sept._7-8,_2023:_Robin’s_selected_pro
gramming
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 13:36:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 20:36 UTC

On 9/3/2023 11:50 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Thursday, Sept. 7
>

> Streaming:
>

> Comedy Island Philippines (special) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Every 100 years, the best of humanity are chosen to participate in the
> Centennial Games, vying for the Gift that could change the world. Only
> problem is the ones who arrived are clueless celebrities who have no idea
> what's going on. But when the Gift suddenly goes missing, they must unmask
> the thief, or else, be stuck on the island forever.

I vote for "stuck on the island forever".

> (end)

....of television apparently.

dirty old man.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<ud31de$13kig$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201013&group=rec.arts.tv#201013

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
gramming
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 15:30:06 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 22:30 UTC

On 9/3/23 11:50 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Thursday, Sept. 7
>

> Streaming:
>

> Comedy Island Philippines (special) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Every 100 years, the best of humanity are chosen to participate in the
> Centennial Games, vying for the Gift that could change the world. Only
> problem is the ones who arrived are clueless celebrities who have no idea
> what's going on. But when the Gift suddenly goes missing, they must unmask
> the thief, or else, be stuck on the island forever.

Oh, good Lord!...

> Virgin River (complete part 1 of season 5) (3:01 am,
> Netflix)
>
> These are the first 10 episodes of the 12 from season five; the remaining
> two will be released on Nov. 30. Already renewed for season six.

And I still haven't gone back to finish season #3 yet!!

Anyone know if they ever got Lexa Doig to come back to this?! She
disappears after seasons 1-2.

> Twisted Marriage Therapist (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> A couple seeks counseling to save their marriage with a caring therapist;
> but the husband soon realizes that she is obsessed with his wife and will
> do anything to get her. Postponed from August 24. Stars Marija Abney,
> Pha'Rez Lass, and Jennifer Sears.

I think I know who Jennifer Sears is, but not the others...

Anyway, this seems like ground already well trod by Lifetime - also is
it "...will do anything to get her"? or "...will do anything to get *to*
her"? 'Cos it makes a big difference!

> Tubi also has "The Therapist" from 2023, described as "A married couple
> seeks professional help in hopes of fixing their marriage, but things turn
> as their therapist becomes obsessed with the husband."
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/720832/the-therapist

Looks like it's this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13346120/reference/

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> As Luck Would Have It: Old Flames, New Fires (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Gabbi Luck [Jackée Harry] is an ex-criminology professor whose personal
> luck hits a snag after reuniting with a former associate and Dean of
> Criminology at Whitmore College.
>
> When Lisa's [Mea Wilkerson] father Michael becomes a person of interest in
> the untimely death of his ex-business partner, she must do whatever she can
> to help. Though reluctant to do so, this means she will need to enlist the
> aid of her mother, Gabbi, to lend a hand (and her brain). Second of three
> films in the series.

Uh, in the first film, the dad was in London - how is Lisa, an LAPD
detective, supposed to "help"?!!

Anyway, will watch - in for a penny, in for a pound!!

> Thursday Night Football (live event) (8:15 pm, NBC)
>
> The NFL season begins with the Detroit Lions at the Kansas City Chiefs.

Zzzzz... (I'll have to check if it's carried on Peacock though.)

> Friday, Sept. 8
>

> Streaming:
>

> Sitting in Bars with Cake (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Inspired by true events, Sitting in Bars with Cake follows best friends
> Jane (Yara Shahidi) and Corinne (Odessa A’zion) navigating life in Los
> Angeles in their twenties. Corinne, the ultimate extrovert, convinces her
> shy-but-extremely-talented home baker best friend Jane to commit to a year
> of baking cakes and bringing them to bars, with the goal of meeting people
> and developing confidence–also known as “cakebarring.” During their year of
> “cakebarring,” Corinne receives a life-altering diagnosis, and the pair
> face a challenge unlike anything they’ve experienced before. Sitting in
> Bars with Cake isn't only a madcap joyride through some of L.A.’s most
> colorful watering holes, it's a moving celebration of female friendship,
> forging identity, and finding joy in the most unexpected places. Based on
> the cookbook Sitting in Bars with Cake by Audrey Shulman.

Boy, this sounds like a "no" to me.

> How to Date Billy Walsh (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Follows a pair of childhood friends, Amelia [Charithra Chandran] and Archie
> [Sebastian Croft]. Archie has always kept his love for her a secret, but
> just as he builds up the courage to declare his feelings, Amelia falls for
> Billy Walsh [Tanner Buchanan], the new transfer student. English film.

Huh?! - Tanner Buchanan is American!

> The Changeling [new] (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> An eight-part adaptation of the book by Victor LaValle, The Changeling is
> an adult fairy tale starring LaKeith Stanfield and Clark Backo as new
> parents. Given the title—and Apple's description of the series as "a horror
> story, a parenthood fable and a perilous odyssey through a New York City
> you didn't know existed"—don't expect smooth sailing. Adina Porter, Alexis
> Louder, and Samuel T. Herring (the frontman of the band Future Islands who
> is making his acting debut) also star. The first three episodes stream
> today; the rest follow weekly through Oct. 13.

Likely a "no" for me.

> The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine, finds herself in a
> war she never imagined and discovers middle America suburbia has changed
> when her thirteen year old sister, Aimee, is abducted by sex traffickers.
> Stars Ana Alexander, Jet Jandreau [as Jessica] and Jamie Timmons. 1 hr 41
> min.

Probably a "yes" for me.

> Blood Flower [Harum Malam] (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> A young apprentice healer tries to suppress his supernatural abilities so
> he can fit in with the other kids, but when a malicious spirit breaks out
> in his apartment he decides to use his abilities while dark family secrets
> are revealed. Malaysian film; 1h 42m.

Nobody gets... !

And not an English-language flick anyway.

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Guiding Emily (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)
>
> Emily's life changes after losing her eyesight, while a guide dog struggles
> with training. Through a series of missed encounters both overcome their
> obstacles and find each other. Stars Sarah Drew, Antonio Cupo and Eric
> McCormack.

O.M.G... [roll]

> Minx (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Starz)

I'll say it - NOBODY gets Starz!! :p

> (end)

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201031&group=rec.arts.tv#201031

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s
selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 21:19:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 04:19 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/3/23 11:50 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>>

>> Thursday, Sept. 7
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Virgin River (complete part 1 of season 5) (3:01 am,
>> Netflix)
>>
>> These are the first 10 episodes of the 12 from season five; the remaining
>> two will be released on Nov. 30. Already renewed for season six.
>
> And I still haven't gone back to finish season #3 yet!!
>
> Anyone know if they ever got Lexa Doig to come back to this?! She
> disappears after seasons 1-2.

The IMDb says she skipped season three but then came back for episodes 10,
11 & 12 of season four. No mention of season five.

>> (end)

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<1312846960.715492407.013481.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201032&group=rec.arts.tv#201032

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 21:19:16 -0700

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>

> Thursday, Sept. 7
>

> Streaming:
>

> Comedy Island Philippines (special) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Every 100 years, the best of humanity are chosen to participate in the
> Centennial Games, vying for the Gift that could change the world. Only
> problem is the ones who arrived are clueless celebrities who have no idea
> what's going on. But when the Gift suddenly goes missing, they must unmask
> the thief, or else, be stuck on the island forever.

Does anyone really mind if they are stuck on the island forever?

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> As Luck Would Have It: Old Flames, New Fires (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Gabbi Luck [Jackée Harry]

NO

> Friday, Sept. 8
>

> Streaming:
>

> Sitting in Bars with Cake (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Inspired by true events, Sitting in Bars with Cake follows best friends
> Jane (Yara Shahidi) and Corinne (Odessa A’zion) navigating life in Los
> Angeles in their twenties. Corinne, the ultimate extrovert, convinces her
> shy-but-extremely-talented home baker best friend Jane to commit to a year
> of baking cakes and bringing them to bars, with the goal of meeting people
> and developing confidence–also known as “cakebarring.” During their year of
> “cakebarring,” Corinne receives a life-altering diagnosis, and the pair
> face a challenge unlike anything they’ve experienced before. Sitting in
> Bars with Cake isn't only a madcap joyride through some of L.A.’s most
> colorful watering holes, it's a moving celebration of female friendship,

You already lost me at the use of the word “madcap“

> Spy Ops [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> In this intense true crime series, intelligence operatives from MI6 to the
> CIA share insider stories of spy craft, Cold War campaigns, and coups
> carried out by covert agents.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0R50cu-P0
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81474104
>

> A Time Called You [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
> Netflix)
>
> A grieving woman magically travels through time to 1998, where she meets a
> man with an uncanny resemblance to her late love. Korean series; 12
> episodes?

Neither of these can be added to my list, but they can have reminders set
for them. We’ll see what happens.

> The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine, finds herself in a
> war she never imagined and discovers middle America suburbia has changed
> when her thirteen year old sister, Aimee, is abducted by sex traffickers.
> Stars Ana Alexander, Jet Jandreau [as Jessica] and Jamie Timmons. 1 hr 41
> min.

Same notation

> Blood Flower [Harum Malam] (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)

Does anybody get Shudder?

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> Star Trek Day 2023 (special) (11:30 am, Comedy Central)
>

> Minx (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Starz)

Does anybody get Starz?

> (end)

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<ud3nb4$1a8ud$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201034&group=rec.arts.tv#201034

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
gramming
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 21:44:19 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 04:44 UTC

On 9/3/23 9:19 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>>

>> Thursday, Sept. 7
>>

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> As Luck Would Have It: Old Flames, New Fires (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>>
>> Gabbi Luck [Jackée Harry]
>
> NO

It's JACKÉE, baby!! :p

>> Friday, Sept. 8
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Sitting in Bars with Cake (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>>
>> Inspired by true events, Sitting in Bars with Cake follows best friends
>> Jane (Yara Shahidi) and Corinne (Odessa A’zion) navigating life in Los
>> Angeles in their twenties. Corinne, the ultimate extrovert, convinces her
>> shy-but-extremely-talented home baker best friend Jane to commit to a year
>> of baking cakes and bringing them to bars, with the goal of meeting people
>> and developing confidence–also known as “cakebarring.” During their year of
>> “cakebarring,” Corinne receives a life-altering diagnosis, and the pair
>> face a challenge unlike anything they’ve experienced before. Sitting in
>> Bars with Cake isn't only a madcap joyride through some of L.A.’s most
>> colorful watering holes, it's a moving celebration of female friendship,
>
> You already lost me at the use of the word “madcap“

No - "madcap" is good.

The problem is, this doesn't sound like it's "madcap" at all!

>> The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine, finds herself in a
>> war she never imagined and discovers middle America suburbia has changed
>> when her thirteen year old sister, Aimee, is abducted by sex traffickers.
>> Stars Ana Alexander, Jet Jandreau [as Jessica] and Jamie Timmons. 1 hr 41
>> min.
>
> Same notation

Tell Robin - TUBI COMES THRU!! :)

>> Blood Flower [Harum Malam] (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> Does anybody get Shudder?

I don't think so - I don't think even Arthur gets Shudder. Nor Obveeus,
nor shawn...

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> Minx (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Starz)
>
> Does anybody get Starz?

I think somebody around here actually does...

And I want to say Adam used to get it, but doesn't anymore(?...).

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<ud3otl$1acgv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201035&group=rec.arts.tv#201035

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programming
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 05:11:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 05:11 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 9/3/23 9:19 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>Does anybody get Starz?

>I think somebody around here actually does...

>And I want to say Adam used to get it, but doesn't anymore(?...).

That's correct. Comcast took it out of my package, so I'd have had to
pay an additional surcharge to keep it. It wasn't worth it. Around that
time I started getting ePix, which is now MGM+.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<1771867442.715500123.540960.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201036&group=rec.arts.tv#201036

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 23:06:33 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 06:06 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/3/23 9:19 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>>>

>>> Thursday, Sept. 7
>>>

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> As Luck Would Have It: Old Flames, New Fires (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
>>>
>>> Gabbi Luck [Jackée Harry]
>>
>> NO
>
> It's JACKÉE, baby!! :p

I could watch her in CarShield commercials if I wanted to

>>> Friday, Sept. 8
>>>

>>> Streaming:
>>>

>>> Sitting in Bars with Cake (movie) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>>>
>>> Inspired by true events, Sitting in Bars with Cake follows best friends
>>> Jane (Yara Shahidi) and Corinne (Odessa A’zion) navigating life in Los
>>> Angeles in their twenties. Corinne, the ultimate extrovert, convinces her
>>> shy-but-extremely-talented home baker best friend Jane to commit to a year
>>> of baking cakes and bringing them to bars, with the goal of meeting people
>>> and developing confidence–also known as “cakebarring.” During their year of
>>> “cakebarring,” Corinne receives a life-altering diagnosis, and the pair
>>> face a challenge unlike anything they’ve experienced before. Sitting in
>>> Bars with Cake isn't only a madcap joyride through some of L.A.’s most
>>> colorful watering holes, it's a moving celebration of female friendship,
>>
>> You already lost me at the use of the word “madcap“
>
> No - "madcap" is good.
>
> The problem is, this doesn't sound like it's "madcap" at all!

Right

>>> The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>>
>>> Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine, finds herself in a
>>> war she never imagined and discovers middle America suburbia has changed
>>> when her thirteen year old sister, Aimee, is abducted by sex traffickers.
>>> Stars Ana Alexander, Jet Jandreau [as Jessica] and Jamie Timmons. 1 hr 41
>>> min.
>>
>> Same notation
>
> Tell Robin - TUBI COMES THRU!! :)

The app doesn’t show it. Robin‘s link to the website does. The website has
a link to show it in the app. That link works.
These guys really need to get their act together.

>>> Blood Flower [Harum Malam] (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>
>> Does anybody get Shudder?
>
> I don't think so - I don't think even Arthur gets Shudder. Nor Obveeus,
> nor shawn...
>

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> Minx (season 2 finale) (9 pm, Starz)
>>
>> Does anybody get Starz?
>
> I think somebody around here actually does...
>
> And I want to say Adam used to get it, but doesn't anymore(?...).

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<a70bfi5g6t8c6m8s2pu3lc2qq3odlh7i6h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201044&group=rec.arts.tv#201044

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 03:03:22 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:03 UTC

On Sun, 3 Sep 2023 21:44:19 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 9/3/23 9:19 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
>>>

>Tell Robin - TUBI COMES THRU!! :)
>
>>> Blood Flower [Harum Malam] (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>
>> Does anybody get Shudder?
>
>I don't think so - I don't think even Arthur gets Shudder. Nor Obveeus,
>nor shawn...

I don't get it, but it looks like any of us can get it and even try it
for free on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/@shudder

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<yrqcnQnzwqD3Omj5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201061&group=rec.arts.tv#201061

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 09:46:18 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 09:46 UTC

On Sep 3, 2023 at 9:44:19 PM PDT, ""Ian J. Ball"" <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 9/3/23 9:19 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>>> Blood Flower [Harum Malam] (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>
>> Does anybody get Shudder?
>
> I don't think so - I don't think even Arthur gets Shudder. Nor Obveeus,
> nor shawn...

I do!

Re: Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<040920230745141585%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201068&group=rec.arts.tv#201068

Subject: Re: Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 07:45:14 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:45 UTC

In article
<1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> > On 9/3/23 11:50 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> >> Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin¹s selected programming
> >>

> >> Thursday, Sept. 7
> >>

> >> Streaming:
> >>

> >> Virgin River (complete part 1 of season 5) (3:01 am,
> >> Netflix)
> >>
> >> These are the first 10 episodes of the 12 from season five; the remaining
> >> two will be released on Nov. 30. Already renewed for season six.
> >
> > And I still haven't gone back to finish season #3 yet!!
> >
> > Anyone know if they ever got Lexa Doig to come back to this?! She
> > disappears after seasons 1-2.
>

> The IMDb says she skipped season three but then came back for episodes 10,
> 11 & 12 of season four. No mention of season five.
>

> >> (end)

Again, the use of the "smart" apostrophe in the header ("Robin¹s")
split this thread into three different ones in my reader. It's a mess.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<79b49fd2-38ef-4426-a2a6-7496f2632b6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201069&group=rec.arts.tv#201069

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 04:57:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:57 UTC

> anim8rfsk
>
> Thursday Night Football (live event) (8:15 pm, NBC)
> The NFL season begins with the Detroit Lions at the Kansas City Chiefs.

GO LIONS! This is the year (he said once again)!

https://i.postimg.cc/brJJywCP/1546708847115.jpg

> Friday, Sept. 8
> Spy Ops [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
> In this intense true crime series, intelligence operatives from MI6 to the
> CIA share insider stories of spy craft, Cold War campaigns, and coups
> carried out by covert agents.

Might check that out.

> The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
> Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine

(eyeroll) Come on now...

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<qvibfi5o47tf645ct91fs14fcnhv1ojfep@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201070&group=rec.arts.tv#201070

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 08:23:04 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:23 UTC

On Mon, 04 Sep 2023 07:45:14 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>In article
><1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>> > And I still haven't gone back to finish season #3 yet!!
>> >
>> > Anyone know if they ever got Lexa Doig to come back to this?! She
>> > disappears after seasons 1-2.
>>

>> The IMDb says she skipped season three but then came back for episodes 10,
>> 11 & 12 of season four. No mention of season five.

>Again, the use of the "smart" apostrophe in the header ("Robin¹s")
>split this thread into three different ones in my reader. It's a mess.

I noticed. My followups are working but then Ian replied to my message
and it became a new thread. Ack!

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<h1jbfihrf232t5alffsa6k3mtnl57lk7v7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201071&group=rec.arts.tv#201071

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 08:24:17 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:24 UTC

On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 04:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
<edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

>> anim8rfsk
>>
>> Thursday Night Football (live event) (8:15 pm, NBC)
>> The NFL season begins with the Detroit Lions at the Kansas City Chiefs.
>
>GO LIONS! This is the year (he said once again)!
The year they end at the bottom of the league rankings?

>https://i.postimg.cc/brJJywCP/1546708847115.jpg
>
>> Friday, Sept. 8
>> Spy Ops [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
>> In this intense true crime series, intelligence operatives from MI6 to the
>> CIA share insider stories of spy craft, Cold War campaigns, and coups
>> carried out by covert agents.
>
>Might check that out.

I wonder just how much they can reveal if they are discussing real
missions?

>> The Vigilante (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)
>> Returning from Afghanistan, Jessica, a Spec OPS Marine
>
>(eyeroll) Come on now...

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<437163030.715525977.792644.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201083&group=rec.arts.tv#201083

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:45:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 14:45 UTC

> On Mon, 04 Sep 2023 07:45:14 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> The IMDb says she skipped season three but then came back for episodes 10,
>>> 11 & 12 of season four. No mention of season five.

>> Again, the use of the "smart" apostrophe in the header ("Robin¹s")
>> split this thread into three different ones in my reader. It's a mess.
>
> I noticed. My followups are working but then Ian replied to my message
> and it became a new thread. Ack!

It doesn’t happen here. The only thing I can think left to try is to tell
Robin not to use punctuation at all.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<qtsbfi57i9svcao2qp582oci34av9gl0i5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201087&group=rec.arts.tv#201087

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:14:12 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 15:14 UTC

On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:45:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Sep 2023 07:45:14 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,

>>> Again, the use of the "smart" apostrophe in the header ("Robin¹s")
>>> split this thread into three different ones in my reader. It's a mess.
>>
>> I noticed. My followups are working but then Ian replied to my message
>> and it became a new thread. Ack!
>>

>It doesn’t happen here. The only thing I can think left to try is to tell
>Robin not to use punctuation at all.

It's fixable but it does require a bit of manual effort. What I've
done when copying articles that use those "smart quotes" is to just
replace each one of the " or ' marks with the regular ASCII version.
Though some editors may try to replace that with the "smart" version
in which case you may be out of luck. For just the Subject header it's
an easy fix.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<ud4vbp$1hla0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201095&group=rec.arts.tv#201095

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
gramming
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 09:07:21 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 16:07 UTC

On 9/3/23 11:06 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> NO
>>
>> It's JACKÉE, baby!! :p
>
> I could watch her in CarShield commercials if I wanted to

That's Vivica, not Jackée(!!)... >:|

Ian (You can watch Jackée!! on DOOL, tho!! :> )

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<ud4vem$1hla0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201097&group=rec.arts.tv#201097

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
gramming
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 09:08:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 16:08 UTC

On 9/4/23 2:46 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Does anybody get Shudder?
>>
>> I don't think so - I don't think even Arthur gets Shudder. Nor Obveeus,
>> nor shawn...
>
> I do!

What's amatta fo' you, 'uh?!! :p

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<1700448967.715539785.512167.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201114&group=rec.arts.tv#201114

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 10:07:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:07 UTC

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:45:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> I noticed. My followups are working but then Ian replied to my message
>>> and it became a new thread. Ack!
>>>

>> It doesn’t happen here. The only thing I can think left to try is to tell
>> Robin not to use punctuation at all.
>
> It's fixable but it does require a bit of manual effort. What I've
> done when copying articles that use those "smart quotes" is to just
> replace each one of the " or ' marks with the regular ASCII version.
> Though some editors may try to replace that with the "smart" version
> in which case you may be out of luck. For just the Subject header it's
> an easy fix.

We’ve been through this before. It doesn’t show up as a smart quote when I
post it. And the problems seem to occur downstream. There’s just nothing I
can do about a problem that’s nonexistent (to me).

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin’s selected programming

<733414093.715539911.902166.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201115&group=rec.arts.tv#201115

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
selected programming
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 10:07:31 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:07 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/3/23 11:06 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> It's JACKÉE, baby!! :p
>>
>> I could watch her in CarShield commercials if I wanted to
>
> That's Vivica, not Jackée(!!)... >:|
>

> Ian (You can watch Jackée!! on DOOL, tho!! :> )

No

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<040920231315053142%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201119&group=rec.arts.tv#201119

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 13:15:05 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:15 UTC

In article <qtsbfi57i9svcao2qp582oci34av9gl0i5@4ax.com>, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:45:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> >> I noticed. My followups are working but then Ian replied to my message
> >> and it became a new thread. Ack!
> >>

> >It doesn¹t happen here. The only thing I can think left to try is to tell
> >Robin not to use punctuation at all.
>
> It's fixable but it does require a bit of manual effort. What I've
> done when copying articles that use those "smart quotes" is to just
> replace each one of the " or ' marks with the regular ASCII version.
> Though some editors may try to replace that with the "smart" version
> in which case you may be out of luck. For just the Subject header it's
> an easy fix.

If I copy text in order to post it here, I use a Mac thing called
TextWrangler. One of the things it can do is change all the quotes
from smart to dumb.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin's selected programming

<ud54k5$1ik15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201122&group=rec.arts.tv#201122

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:37:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:37 UTC

A Friend wrote:

>>. . .

>If I copy text in order to post it here, I use a Mac thing called
>TextWrangler. One of the things it can do is change all the quotes
>from smart to dumb.

If you think of it, can you fix Subject? I do ASCII substitutions when I
think of it. Part of the problem is that your newsreader doesn't
translate UTF-8 as it doesn't have a parsing mechanism. It assumes the
received character set is ISO-8859-1 because that's what you set. What
the client should do is translate input then retranslate output as the
user has set the client but that requires a disciplined programmer and a
well-written parsing mechanism.

That there are newsreaders that don't translate as needed is a well
known problem which is why communication in English on Usenet to an
American audience should be pure ASCII, as ASCII is universally readable
and requires no translation.

If you spot the non-ASCII character, especially on Subject, try to
substitute.

I use these two mechanisms:

This decodes "encoded word" which is found on Subject:

https://dogmamix.com/MimeHeadersDecoder/

This gets rid of "smart quotes".

https://dan.hersam.com/tools/smart-quotes.php

Yeah, Subject might be run through both mechinisms if you don't fix it
up manually.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<atropos-79FA47.11001104092023@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201133&group=rec.arts.tv#201133

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:00:11 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:00 UTC

In article <040920230745141585%nope@noway.com>,
A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

> In article
> <1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

> > > And I still haven't gone back to finish season #3 yet!!
> > >
> > > Anyone know if they ever got Lexa Doig to come back to this?! She
> > > disappears after seasons 1-2.
> >
> > The IMDb says she skipped season three but then came back for episodes 10,
> > 11 & 12 of season four. No mention of season five.

> Again, the use of the "smart" apostrophe in the header ("Robin�s")
> split this thread into three different ones in my reader. It's a mess.

Maybe anim should just re-word these headers:

Sept. 7-8, 2023: Selected Programming Provided by Robin

That way there's no apostrophe to cause problems in the first place.

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<atropos-4B730F.11040304092023@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201134&group=rec.arts.tv#201134

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <292459697.715459708.808087.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <ud31de$13kig$1@dont-email.me> <1247144240.715492160.557127.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <040920230745141585%nope@noway.com> <qvibfi5o47tf645ct91fs14fcnhv1ojfep@4ax.com> <437163030.715525977.792644.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <qtsbfi57i9svcao2qp582oci34av9gl0i5@4ax.com> <1700448967.715539785.512167.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 11:04:03 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:04 UTC

In article
<1700448967.715539785.512167.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:45:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> > wrote:

> >> It doesn't happen here. The only thing I can think left to try is to tell
> >> Robin not to use punctuation at all.
> >
> > It's fixable but it does require a bit of manual effort. What I've
> > done when copying articles that use those "smart quotes" is to just
> > replace each one of the " or ' marks with the regular ASCII version.
> > Though some editors may try to replace that with the "smart" version
> > in which case you may be out of luck. For just the Subject header it's
> > an easy fix.
> >
> We've been through this before. It doesn't show up as a smart quote when I
> post it. And the problems seem to occur downstream. There's just nothing I
> can do about a problem that's nonexistent (to me).

Just re-word with the Subject line without any apostrophes:

Sept. 7-8, 2023: Selected Programming from Robin

Re: Sept. 7-8, 2023: Robin?s selected programming

<218cfipjjk3utkare62oluui0588efgn8a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201142&group=rec.arts.tv#201142

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 14:26:44 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:26 UTC

On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 10:07:30 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:45:29 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> It doesn’t happen here. The only thing I can think left to try is to tell
>>> Robin not to use punctuation at all.
>>
>> It's fixable but it does require a bit of manual effort. What I've
>> done when copying articles that use those "smart quotes" is to just
>> replace each one of the " or ' marks with the regular ASCII version.
>> Though some editors may try to replace that with the "smart" version
>> in which case you may be out of luck. For just the Subject header it's
>> an easy fix.
>>

>We’ve been through this before. It doesn’t show up as a smart quote when I
>post it. And the problems seem to occur downstream. There’s just nothing I
>can do about a problem that’s nonexistent (to me).

I have to wonder if it might be Newstap doing it. As I can see you
have those smart quote's in your text that you added. Unlike in my
text where I'm using the standard ASCII single quote character.

There should be a way to turn that off in Newstap, but I don't know
the application so I have no idea if it is the source (seems likely)
or how to turn it off, if it can be turned off. I suppose you could
try switching from a UTF-8 charset to an ASCII charset as that
wouldn't support the smart quotes in your messages (I think.)