Beauty is one of the rare things which does not lead to doubt of God. -- Jean Anouilh

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Movie recommendation sites

SubjectAuthor
* Movie recommendation sitesDimensional Traveler
+* Re: Movie recommendation sitesshawn
|`* Re: Movie recommendation sitesPluted Pup
| `* Re: Movie recommendation sitesshawn
|  `* Re: Movie recommendation sitesPluted Pup
|   +- Re: Movie recommendation sitesPluted Pup
|   `* Re: Movie recommendation sitesshawn
|    `* Re: Movie recommendation sitesDimensional Traveler
|     `* Re: Movie recommendation sitesIan J. Ball
|      +* Re: Movie recommendation sitesshawn
|      |`- Re: Movie recommendation sitesAdam H. Kerman
|      `- Re: Movie recommendation sitesAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: Movie recommendation sitesAlan Smithee
 `- Re: Movie recommendation sitesDimensional Traveler

1
Movie recommendation sites

<udkvqi$ljnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201875&group=rec.arts.tv#201875

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Movie recommendation sites
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:53:23 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:53 UTC

In a recent WDYW thread Arthur complained about losing the
recommendations from the Netflix disc rental site. Here are four sites
that do movie recommendations based on what movies you tell them you
like. I haven't tried any of them but a couple appear to have the
option of inputting a list of movies for them to build recommendations
upon much like Netflix claimed to do.

https://bestsimilar.com/

https://pickamovieforme.com/

https://tastedive.com/movies

https://movielens.org/

dirty old man.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<bf4sfi11k4bgim96sfbe493us81itv6akr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201888&group=rec.arts.tv#201888

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Movie recommendation sites
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:10:08 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:10 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:53:23 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>In a recent WDYW thread Arthur complained about losing the
>recommendations from the Netflix disc rental site. Here are four sites
>that do movie recommendations based on what movies you tell them you
>like. I haven't tried any of them but a couple appear to have the
>option of inputting a list of movies for them to build recommendations
>upon much like Netflix claimed to do.
>
>https://bestsimilar.com/

Couldn't get this one to work

>https://pickamovieforme.com/

Name a movie and it finds something similar

>https://tastedive.com/movies

This one looks good as it lets you build up a list of movies you
liked, those that you neither liked nor disliked and those you
disliked. Then uses that list to recommend other movies to you.

With only a few movies in my list it was recommending mostly movies I
either already watched or wanted to watch so I recommend this site.

>https://movielens.org/

Does the same as tastedive. The recommendations are different but then
I ended up with a different list of rated movies due to their
interface. The recommendations are all movies I either have or would
watch so this one looks useful.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<0001HW.2AAE51CC001C9DDF30AA8938F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201890&group=rec.arts.tv#201890

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:34:36 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:34 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:10:08 -0700, shawn wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:53:23 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > In a recent WDYW thread Arthur complained about losing the
> > recommendations from the Netflix disc rental site. Here are four sites
> > that do movie recommendations based on what movies you tell them you
> > like. I haven't tried any of them but a couple appear to have the
> > option of inputting a list of movies for them to build recommendations
> > upon much like Netflix claimed to do.
> >
> > https://bestsimilar.com/
>
> Couldn't get this one to work

It works.

> > https://pickamovieforme.com/
>
> Name a movie and it finds something similar

Not ready to use, looks like members only.

> > https://tastedive.com/movies
>
> This one looks good as it lets you build up a list of movies you
> liked, those that you neither liked nor disliked and those you
> disliked. Then uses that list to recommend other movies to you.
>
> With only a few movies in my list it was recommending mostly movies I
> either already watched or wanted to watch so I recommend this site.
>
> > https://movielens.org/
>
> Does the same as tastedive. The recommendations are different but then
> I ended up with a different list of rated movies due to their
> interface. The recommendations are all movies I either have or would
> watch so this one looks useful.

Members only.

So two open sites and two closed sites. That whittles it
down to:

https://tastedive.com/movies

https://bestsimilar.com/

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<5j7sfithqplu1la132oi3cb3ni9lsnnkuc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201894&group=rec.arts.tv#201894

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:53:36 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:53 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:34:36 -0700, Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:10:08 -0700, shawn wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:53:23 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> > In a recent WDYW thread Arthur complained about losing the
>> > recommendations from the Netflix disc rental site. Here are four sites
>> > that do movie recommendations based on what movies you tell them you
>> > like. I haven't tried any of them but a couple appear to have the
>> > option of inputting a list of movies for them to build recommendations
>> > upon much like Netflix claimed to do.
>> >
>> > https://bestsimilar.com/
>>
>> Couldn't get this one to work
>
>It works.

It didn't for me.

>> > https://pickamovieforme.com/
>>
>> Name a movie and it finds something similar
>
>Not ready to use, looks like members only.
>

>> > https://tastedive.com/movies
>>
>> This one looks good as it lets you build up a list of movies you
>> liked, those that you neither liked nor disliked and those you
>> disliked. Then uses that list to recommend other movies to you.
>>
>> With only a few movies in my list it was recommending mostly movies I
>> either already watched or wanted to watch so I recommend this site.
>>
>> > https://movielens.org/
>>
>> Does the same as tastedive. The recommendations are different but then
>> I ended up with a different list of rated movies due to their
>> interface. The recommendations are all movies I either have or would
>> watch so this one looks useful.
>
>Members only.

Not that I found. You do need to register but that was all I had to do
to get it to work recommending movies to me based on my ratings.

>So two open sites and two closed sites. That whittles it
>down to:
>
>https://tastedive.com/movies
>
>https://bestsimilar.com/

I agree on the two working sites but disagree on which ones they are.
lol.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<0001HW.2AAE5867001E2A2A30AA8938F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201897&group=rec.arts.tv#201897

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:02:47 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:02 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:53:36 -0700, shawn wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:34:36 -0700, Pluted Pup<plutedpup@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:10:08 -0700, shawn wrote:

> > > Couldn't get this one to work
> >
> > It works.
>
> It didn't for me.

Are you using a computer or a phone?

It works on a computer.

> > > Name a movie and it finds something similar
> >
> > Not ready to use, looks like members only.

> > > This one looks good as it lets you build up a list of movies you
> > > liked, those that you neither liked nor disliked and those you
> > > disliked. Then uses that list to recommend other movies to you.
> > >
> > > With only a few movies in my list it was recommending mostly movies I
> > > either already watched or wanted to watch so I recommend this site.

> > > Does the same as tastedive. The recommendations are different but then
> > > I ended up with a different list of rated movies due to their
> > > interface. The recommendations are all movies I either have or would
> > > watch so this one looks useful.
> >
> > Members only.
>
> Not that I found. You do need to register but that was all I had to do
> to get it to work recommending movies to me based on my ratings.
>
> > So two open sites and two closed sites. That whittles it
> > down to:
> >
> > https://tastedive.com/movies
> >
> > https://bestsimilar.com/
>
> I agree on the two working sites but disagree on which ones they are.
> lol.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<0001HW.2AAE58EC001E497A30AA8938F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201898&group=rec.arts.tv#201898

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:05:00 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
 by: Pluted Pup - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:05 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:02:47 -0700, Pluted Pup wrote:

> > > It works.
> >
> > It didn't for me.
>
> Are you using a computer or a phone?
>
> It works on a computer.

What is actually happening that isn't working?

I type a movie title and it gives me suggestions.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<sh9sfip5js6t4pnm54990g6bju9vku82od@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201899&group=rec.arts.tv#201899

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:26:20 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:26 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:02:47 -0700, Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:53:36 -0700, shawn wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:34:36 -0700, Pluted Pup<plutedpup@outlook.com>
>> wrote:

>> > It works.
>>
>> It didn't for me.
>
>Are you using a computer or a phone?
>
>It works on a computer.

Nope, I'm on a computer and it doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the
browser as I'm using Firefox.

>> > Not ready to use, looks like members only.

>> > Members only.
>>
>> Not that I found. You do need to register but that was all I had to do
>> to get it to work recommending movies to me based on my ratings.
>>
>> > So two open sites and two closed sites. That whittles it
>> > down to:
>> >
>> > https://tastedive.com/movies
>> >
>> > https://bestsimilar.com/
>>
>> I agree on the two working sites but disagree on which ones they are.
>> lol.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<udldpe$nmp6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201909&group=rec.arts.tv#201909

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 14:51:42 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:51 UTC

On 9/10/2023 1:26 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:02:47 -0700, Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:53:36 -0700, shawn wrote:

>>> It didn't for me.
>>
>> Are you using a computer or a phone?
>>
>> It works on a computer.
>
> Nope, I'm on a computer and it doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the
> browser as I'm using Firefox.

You have to enable javascript on the site. I'm on Firefox, tried it
with javascript blocked, didn't work, enabled javascript and it worked.

Same as above, you have to enable javascript for the site. This one,
based a quick test, seems to have a fairly limited selection of movies
to recommend, at least at the moment.

>>> Not that I found. You do need to register but that was all I had to do
>>> to get it to work recommending movies to me based on my ratings.

>>> I agree on the two working sites but disagree on which ones they are.
>>> lol.

They all work, just some require permissions that most people have
disabled by default. After short tests I suspect the biggest limitation
for all of them is a much smaller base of movies to recommend than we
are used to from Netflix.

dirty old man.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<udldtu$nmaj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201910&group=rec.arts.tv#201910

From: alm...@last.inc (Alan Smithee)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 18:54:06 -0300
 by: Alan Smithee - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:54 UTC

Find a movie - http://www.whatismymovie.com

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<udlmhi$oo0e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201930&group=rec.arts.tv#201930

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:21:08 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 00:21 UTC

On 9/10/2023 2:54 PM, Alan Smithee wrote:
> Find a movie - http://www.whatismymovie.com

Thank you.

dirty old man.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<udn3ro$12d1g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201979&group=rec.arts.tv#201979

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:14:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:14 UTC

On 9/10/23 2:51 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> On 9/10/2023 1:26 PM, shawn wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:02:47 -0700, Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Are you using a computer or a phone?
>>>
>>> It works on a computer.
>>
>> Nope, I'm on a computer and it doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the
>> browser as I'm using Firefox.
>>
> You have to enable javascript on the site.  I'm on Firefox, tried it
> with javascript blocked, didn't work, enabled javascript and it worked.

Which is weird - I though Java was being phased out?!

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<855ufihi3orvlb1ggjijn4gps843b6hkrk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201981&group=rec.arts.tv#201981

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 09:23:14 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:23 UTC

On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:14:32 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 9/10/23 2:51 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>> On 9/10/2023 1:26 PM, shawn wrote:

>>> Nope, I'm on a computer and it doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the
>>> browser as I'm using Firefox.
>>>
>> You have to enable javascript on the site.  I'm on Firefox, tried it
>> with javascript blocked, didn't work, enabled javascript and it worked.
>
>Which is weird - I though Java was being phased out?!

Java is amazingly popular. I don't understand it but it is true.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<udn516$12mo1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201983&group=rec.arts.tv#201983

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:34:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:34 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>Nope, I'm on a computer and it doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the
>>>browser as I'm using Firefox.

>>You have to enable javascript on the site.  I'm on Firefox, tried it
>>with javascript blocked, didn't work, enabled javascript and it worked.

>Which is weird - I though Java was being phased out?!

Not Java. Javascript. The two are entirely unrelated. Any Java phase out
has to do with whether a user needs to run Java as a client on his own
host and not whether it runs on the server. The Java client is usually
unnecessary. If the user's own host isn't performing server functions that
require Java, then the user doesn't need to run Java. This has nothing
to do with javascript, which runs within the client (a browser, the
email client, the PDF reader, various other clients), not the server.

shawn, the traditional way to deal with unwanted javascript is to ENABLE
javascript (which is enabled by default) then use the NoScript add on to
control javascript on a per site basis. This will let you allow
javascript from the main Web site but blocking unwanted javascript from
third-party Web sites embedded within the Web page. NoScript is usually
one of the top two or three Firefox add ons.

When I first started using Firefox, NoScript was the first extension I
added.

Re: Movie recommendation sites

<udn55h$12mo1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=201984&group=rec.arts.tv#201984

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:36:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:36 UTC

>Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:14:32 -0700, Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>You have to enable javascript on the site.  I'm on Firefox, tried it
>>>with javascript blocked, didn't work, enabled javascript and it worked.

>>Which is weird - I though Java was being phased out?!

>Java is amazingly popular. I don't understand it but it is true.

Yes it is. It has nothing to do with javascript.