Praise the sea; on shore remain. -- John Florio

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Benediction / c&c

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Benediction / c&cZod
+* Re: Benediction / c&cWill Dockery
|`* Re: Benediction / c&cGeneral-Zod
| `- Re: Benediction / c&cW-Dockery
`* Re: Benediction / c&cW-Dockery
 `- Re: Benediction / c&cGeorge Dance

1
Re: Benediction / c&c

<78ff3c24-c038-4a38-9be8-211388dcd7c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=202632&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#202632

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 14:16:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Benediction / c&c
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 22:16 UTC

On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Manwolf wrote:
> msifg wrote:
> >
> > "Dale Houstman" <dm...@skypoint.com> wrote in message

> >> That's a very bad enjambment, and a non-intriguing paradox: if
> >> "nothing is
> >> changed" by the rising sun, then how can "darkness retreat" since
> >> that's a
> >> change?
> >

> > maybe he's just noticing it.
> >

> > This isn't even to mention the utter flat dullness of
> >> the opening two lines, which are really only informing us that sunrise
> >> means less darkness. Not exactly a poetic revelation, or even a
> >> particularly sharp observation. More along the lines of a massively
> >> stoned
> >> dullard noticing they have five fingers on each hand.
> >
> > more of your self-indulgent prose acting as criticism.
> > you really should get over yourself.

> >> Awkward to a fault...

> >> These are stunningly dull sub-images, which keep reiterating the
> >> obvious -
> >> that the sunrise (which supposedly changes nothing) adds color to the
> >> things of darkness. It wasn't actually worth saying once, and you can't
> >> stop saying it. Extremely boring stuff that, and none of it redeemed by a
> >> clever bit of language, or a neatly-constructed image...
> >
> > it works for a boring newsgroup where trolls and
> > cheap shot critics swoop down on a regular basis.

> >> From the banal hammering home of a mediocre "idea" to flights of moronic
> >> "scientific" abstraction. Hideous...
> >
> > it might be combining the mysticism of the sacrament
> > with some of the scientific observations concerning
> > the sacrament. charles leadbeater's work comes to mind.

> >> Really and truly horrible: an ugly mixture of pretentious mysticism lite
> >> and the image-less horror of one-dimensional abstraction all tied up in
> >> the sensation of pure hackney-dom.
> >
> > not as boring as your disinterested prose that lacks
> > any kind of feeling and is chuck full of random meaningless
> > images that fall flat with every projection. your stuff
> > makes absolutely no sense. you're the last person that
> > should be grasping for meaning behind every corner.

> >> It's really quite empty isn't it? A badly done exercise in "poetic
> >> contemplation" that is bereft of actual poetry, gutted of human
> >> observation, and exiled to a black pit of sentimental noodle-work in
> >> place
> >> of writing. A typical posterior production of yours.
> >>
> >> dmh
> >
> > it's ok.
> > it's not great.
> > however, we're all just having fun
> > while you keep firing your guns
> > like no other waste of time.
> >
> > try finding the good in things once in awhile.
> > life is very short.
> > cynicism is your spiritual bane.
> > before you know it, you'll be standing on the
> > cusp of a brilliant idea and shooing it away
> > like so many butterflies you've swatted down.

> [...]

I'm a Donovan fan from way back, MW...

Re: Benediction / c&c

<88be2ada-2b7d-487f-a055-431e1c366d66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=202726&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#202726

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 20:45:38 -0800 (PST)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 04:45 UTC

Same here.

Re: Benediction / c&c

<383258f7d1c0b9b7c95a15f48b8cd46c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=203107&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#203107

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 23:40:29 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 23:40 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 5:16:35 PM UTC-5, Zod wrote:
>> Manwolf wrote:

>> > I'm just mad about Saffron
>> > Saffron's mad about me
>> > I'm just mad about Saffron
>> > She's just mad about me
>> > They call me mellow yellow
>> > (Quite rightly)
>> > They call me mellow yellow
>> > (Quite rightly)
>> > They call me mellow yellow
>> > Born high forever to fly
>> > Wind velocity nil
>> > Wanna high forever to fly
>> > If you want your cup our fill
>> > (So mellow, he's so yellow)
>> > Electrical banana
>> > Is gonna be a sudden craze
>> > Electrical banana
>> > Is bound to be the very next phase
>> > They call it mellow yellow
>> > (Quite rightly)
>> > They call me mellow yellow
>> > (Quite rightly)
>> > They call me mellow yellow
>>

>> I'm a Donovan fan from way back, MW...

> Same here.

I remember you even covered a couple of Donovan songs some number of years back, Doc.

Re: Benediction / c&c

<165de8544a8fc261b45c0f83746293f3@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=203164&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#203164

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 04:19:20 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 04:19 UTC

"Sunshine Superman" mostly.

Re: Benediction / c&c

<b0520af6f77493846e84cbd974826de6@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=203720&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#203720

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:42:41 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:42 UTC

Zod wrote:

> On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Manwolf wrote:
>> msifg wrote:
>> >
>> > "Dale Houstman" <dm...@skypoint.com> wrote in message

>> > maybe he's just noticing it.
>> >

>> > This isn't even to mention the utter flat dullness of
>> >
>> > more of your self-indulgent prose acting as criticism.
>> > you really should get over yourself.

>> > it works for a boring newsgroup where trolls and
>> > cheap shot critics swoop down on a regular basis.

>> > it might be combining the mysticism of the sacrament
>> > with some of the scientific observations concerning
>> > the sacrament. charles leadbeater's work comes to mind.

>> > not as boring as your disinterested prose that lacks
>> > any kind of feeling and is chuck full of random meaningless
>> > images that fall flat with every projection. your stuff
>> > makes absolutely no sense. you're the last person that
>> > should be grasping for meaning behind every corner.

>> > it's ok.
>> > it's not great.
>> > however, we're all just having fun
>> > while you keep firing your guns
>> > like no other waste of time.
>> >
>> > try finding the good in things once in awhile.
>> > life is very short.
>> > cynicism is your spiritual bane.
>> > before you know it, you'll be standing on the
>> > cusp of a brilliant idea and shooing it away
>> > like so many butterflies you've swatted down.
>> >
>> > lighten up.
>> >
>> I'm just mad about Saffron
>> Saffron's mad about me
>> I'm just mad about Saffron
>> She's just mad about me
>> They call me mellow yellow
>> (Quite rightly)
>> They call me mellow yellow
>> (Quite rightly)
>> They call me mellow yellow
>> Born high forever to fly
>> Wind velocity nil
>> Wanna high forever to fly
>> If you want your cup our fill
>> (So mellow, he's so yellow)
>> Electrical banana
>> Is gonna be a sudden craze
>> Electrical banana
>> Is bound to be the very next phase
>> They call it mellow yellow
>> (Quite rightly)
>> They call me mellow yellow
>> (Quite rightly)
>> They call me mellow yellow

> I'm a Donovan fan from way back, MW...

I haven't heard anything from Donovan in years.

Re: Benediction / c&c

<9bc1b531-724d-4167-b946-7ee43e1c25a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=203724&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#203724

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 05:54:43 -0800 (PST)
From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George Dance)
 by: George Dance - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:54 UTC

On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 8:45:14 AM UTC-5, W-Dockery wrote:
> Zod wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, Manwolf wrote:
> >> >
> >> I'm just mad about Saffron
> >> Saffron's mad about me
> >> I'm just mad about Saffron
> >> She's just mad about me
> >> They call me mellow yellow
> >> (Quite rightly)
> >> They call me mellow yellow
> >> (Quite rightly)
> >> They call me mellow yellow
> >> Born high forever to fly
> >> Wind velocity nil
> >> Wanna high forever to fly
> >> If you want your cup our fill
> >> (So mellow, he's so yellow)
> >> Electrical banana
> >> Is gonna be a sudden craze
> >> Electrical banana
> >> Is bound to be the very next phase
> >> They call it mellow yellow
> >> (Quite rightly)
> >> They call me mellow yellow
> >> (Quite rightly)
> >> They call me mellow yellow
>
> > I'm a Donovan fan from way back, MW...
> I haven't heard anything from Donovan in years.

Now, that's not strictly true. You may not have sat down and listened to him, but he's been on the Dancehall a few times. "Season of the Witch" was on the Hallowe'en Dancehall, e.g. And I've also added his version of "The Universal Soldier" to the War Dancehall -- ironically, right before Dylan's "Talking World War III Blues," with it's notorious "Donovan ... whoever he is" line.