Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 00:05:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Power To Define
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 07:05 UTC

There have been people saying that I am evil. I have heard it said that the power to define is the ultimate power. You have successfully defined the opposition as evil, you’ve won half the war.

Of course sometimes things that get called evil really are evil. Nazism comes to mind. However in many other situations that is not the case.

So there are people in conservatism who say that the liberals are evil. In fact most liberals come from the right place. They don’t like seeing the worker getting mistreated. They don’t like seeing the women getting mistreated. They don’t like to see terrible things being done to nature and animals. These people are better, not worse, than the average person.

Are there bad people on the Left? Well, there are Andrea Dworkin and Catherine McKinnon. However I don’t see them as evil, just wrong. There are two kinds of wrongdoing: deliberate and non-deliberate. The first is a result of wilfully wrongful action, and the second is a result of error and ignorance. Both have to be seen for what they are and then correctly confronted.

Many people who do wrong things think that they are right. The solution is not calling them evil but correcting their errors. This can have two possible outcomes. One is that the person will realize the mistake and correct it.. The other is that the person will not be credible to others, and the person’s power over others will be curtailed.

With people such as Andrea Dworkin and Catherine McKinnon, the solution is to correct their errors. Of these there are plenty, and they are obvious. Sex industry is not the reason for rape; in Congo, Afghanistan and Bosnia during the war there was no sex industry but there were vast amounts of brutal rapes in all three countries. If heterosexual sex is rape then you owe your life to rape, and if family is bad then you owe your life to something bad. Catherine McKinnon may not herself be receptive to critical input, but people over whom she stands to have influence are. When faced with a wrong belief, the solution is putting in the intellectual effort to refute it. That may or may not affect the source; it does however stand to affect the audience.

I have put in vast effort into understanding all sorts of problems. I care about all sorts of people, including people from whom I have nothing to gain. I do not claim to be inerrant; I claim to be well-intentioned. I have no ill will toward anyone, not even Catherine McKinnon. I want to see their errors corrected for the benefit of the rest of the world.