There's nothing like the face of a kid eating a Hershey bar.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Ray Bremser

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Ray BremserWill Dockery
+* Re: Ray BremserZod
|+- Re: Ray BremserW.Dockery
|+- Re: Ray BremserWill Dockery
|+- Re: Walter Lowenfels poetryW-Dockery
|`- Re: Ray BremserW-Dockery
`* Re: Ray BremserGeneral-Zod
 `- Re: Ray BremserW.Dockery

1
Re: Ray Bremser

<84dbe128-9577-4b04-9c5e-b423970392bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205606&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#205606

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:50:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ray Bremser
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:50 UTC

Zod wrote:

> George Dance wrote:
>> wrote:

>> > Yes, the fans of H.P. Lovecraft are, oddly, similar to those of the Grateful Dead, and the copyright holders seem to have similar stances as far as letting the material be presented on the fan sites, et cetera... the slightly harder to find works, and in the case of the Dead, almost every performance has been recorded in some form or another.
>> >
>> I changed the subject header, BTW, in the hope of making the Lovecraft links easier to find in a search later.
>> > Another poet I've been reading, actually pointed out to be by Lisa Scarboro from her "Poratble Beat" volume is the very obscure Beatnik poet Ray Bremser, who pretty much began and ended his poetry career with one 1965 small press chapbook:
>> >
>> > anyway, funk is when
>> > thelonious monk peeps
>> > above the bamboo shades
>> > to see the piana setting there,
>> > bald and bold ... monk looks at it,
>> > while the bass run and the drummer
>> > bugs him with the cymbal ... 6 days sleepless ...
>> > monk looks ... perfectly zonked and
>> > loafing on the stool ... he looks
>> > and looks
>> > and the bass and drummer meet
>> > like flys making it on the mid-air,
>> > attracting, (at least,) the ears
>> > of monk, who lifts his hands
>> > and lets them fall on the keys in
>> > commentary; with whut's funk.
>> > -Ray Bremser
>> >
>> > Read more at:
>> > http://www.blacklistedjournalist.com/column74g.html
>> >
>> > [POEMS OF MADNESS was originally published in 1965 by PAPER BOOK GALLERY and reprinted by WATER ROW PRESS, PO Box 438, Sudbury, MA 01776. These excerpts from POEMS OF MADNESS appears here with the permission of Jeffrey Weinberg, publisher of WATER ROW PRESS and literary executor of the poet's estate.]
>> >
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bremser
>> >
>> > "Ray Bremser (February 22, 1934 - November 3, 1998) was an American poet. Bremser was born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He began writing poetry there and sent copies to Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso and LeRoi Jones (Imamu Amear Baraka), who published his poems in 'Yugen' and threw a big party for him when he got out of jail in 1958..."
>> Thanks for the leads. I've added Bremser into PPP, using the wiki article, and adding a few links (including the one to the above book) and a video.. I compiled a new bibliography: turns out he published at least 6 books, right up to his death in the late 90s. As a bonus, I even found (and referenced) a mention of him in a Dylan poem:
>>
>> http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Bremser

> Quite interesting back story....!!

Good morning, yes, Ray Bremser was an interesting person as well as poet.

Re: Ray Bremser

<f28c252f-25fa-497e-8f49-f7c4eab10d9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205710&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#205710

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 13:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:22 UTC

On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 10:50:56 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Zod wrote:
>
> > George Dance wrote:

> >> I changed the subject header, BTW, in the hope of making the Lovecraft links easier to find in a search later.

> >> Thanks for the leads. I've added Bremser into PPP, using the wiki article, and adding a few links (including the one to the above book) and a video. I compiled a new bibliography: turns out he published at least 6 books, right up to his death in the late 90s. As a bonus, I even found (and referenced) a mention of him in a Dylan poem:
> >>
> >> http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Bremser
>
> > Quite interesting back story....!!
> Good morning, yes, Ray Bremser was an interesting person as well as poet.

Brenda Frazer tells some of his story:

https://www.beatdom.com/my-true-stories/

************************** My True Stories by Brenda Frazer, formerly Bonnie Bremser, is a collection of four previously unpublished manuscripts covering the years from 1959 to 1983. Poets and Oddfellows (1959-61), Drug City (1961-67), Artista (1967-70), and Cherry Valley Ballads and Stories (1970-83) have been kept hidden on the shelf for ages. Now Brenda provides the reader with new insights into one of the most pulsating times of the 20th century: the Beat era. Having lived together with prominent figureheads like Allen Ginsberg and his circle of friends, Frazer provides a unique and unprecedented female viewpoint.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Ray Bremser

<f6c7e4dc8c1fc04b509c8163077fcdb2@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206101&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206101

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 02:48:31 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <c8d928fc-cd57-40ba-a15b-60b57537e15a@googlegroups.com> <1be4bd9c-ed25-4e92-b3f0-83adc31d4623@googlegroups.com> <22759eda-5e43-489a-8376-5a4253a04196@googlegroups.com> <0332e2eb-f697-4163-84c6-10940262f11e@googlegroups.com> <87caef12-ddb5-4598-bb31-f807884692b8@googlegroups.com> <6a74aa6f-6b56-4a9a-a9b6-303077d6ab99@googlegroups.com> <f1a73044-4883-4934-80ee-82438bd6deca@googlegroups.com> <3ffcd825-2b7a-452c-ba28-7661a0114fda@googlegroups.com> <b1c7734d-adbe-4839-82be-311a73c7408b@googlegroups.com> <495edf72-c839-4075-aeeb-b3f6745d0ab5@googlegroups.com> <slrnmfhdbe.imt.peadar.ruadh@pjr.no-ip.org> <mdaek2$6ju$1@dont-email.me> <84dbe128-9577-4b04-9c5e-b423970392bbn@googlegroups.com> <f28c252f-25fa-497e-8f49-f7c4eab10d9an@googlegroups.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 02:48 UTC

<f39e2756-ca83-4ec6-a72d-40877b046eccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206113&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206113

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 03:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:59 UTC

Re: Walter Lowenfels poetry

<5d7d0f796fadeec0e7eb416b4c232195@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206822&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206822

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 21:13:34 +0000
Subject: Re: Walter Lowenfels poetry
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <c8d928fc-cd57-40ba-a15b-60b57537e15a@googlegroups.com> <1be4bd9c-ed25-4e92-b3f0-83adc31d4623@googlegroups.com> <22759eda-5e43-489a-8376-5a4253a04196@googlegroups.com> <0332e2eb-f697-4163-84c6-10940262f11e@googlegroups.com> <87caef12-ddb5-4598-bb31-f807884692b8@googlegroups.com> <6a74aa6f-6b56-4a9a-a9b6-303077d6ab99@googlegroups.com> <f1a73044-4883-4934-80ee-82438bd6deca@googlegroups.com> <3ffcd825-2b7a-452c-ba28-7661a0114fda@googlegroups.com> <b1c7734d-adbe-4839-82be-311a73c7408b@googlegroups.com> <495edf72-c839-4075-aeeb-b3f6745d0ab5@googlegroups.com> <slrnmfhdbe.imt.peadar.ruadh@pjr.no-ip.org> <mdaek2$6ju$1@dont-email.me> <84dbe128-9577-4b04-9c5e-b423970392bbn@googlegroups.com> <f28c252f-25fa-497e-8f49-f7c4eab10d9an@googlegroups.com>
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 21:13 UTC

<bc5172909819bbc70ce3ba82cbf4c44f@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207634&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#207634

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:23:10 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <c8d928fc-cd57-40ba-a15b-60b57537e15a@googlegroups.com> <1be4bd9c-ed25-4e92-b3f0-83adc31d4623@googlegroups.com> <22759eda-5e43-489a-8376-5a4253a04196@googlegroups.com> <0332e2eb-f697-4163-84c6-10940262f11e@googlegroups.com> <87caef12-ddb5-4598-bb31-f807884692b8@googlegroups.com> <6a74aa6f-6b56-4a9a-a9b6-303077d6ab99@googlegroups.com> <f1a73044-4883-4934-80ee-82438bd6deca@googlegroups.com> <3ffcd825-2b7a-452c-ba28-7661a0114fda@googlegroups.com> <b1c7734d-adbe-4839-82be-311a73c7408b@googlegroups.com> <495edf72-c839-4075-aeeb-b3f6745d0ab5@googlegroups.com> <slrnmfhdbe.imt.peadar.ruadh@pjr.no-ip.org> <mdaek2$6ju$1@dont-email.me> <84dbe128-9577-4b04-9c5e-b423970392bbn@googlegroups.com> <f28c252f-25fa-497e-8f49-f7c4eab10d9an@googlegroups.com>
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:23 UTC

<86c9cadd3df0c5b9675c07e8611dd0c8@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208746&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#208746

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 19:56:34 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <c8d928fc-cd57-40ba-a15b-60b57537e15a@googlegroups.com> <1be4bd9c-ed25-4e92-b3f0-83adc31d4623@googlegroups.com> <22759eda-5e43-489a-8376-5a4253a04196@googlegroups.com> <0332e2eb-f697-4163-84c6-10940262f11e@googlegroups.com> <87caef12-ddb5-4598-bb31-f807884692b8@googlegroups.com> <6a74aa6f-6b56-4a9a-a9b6-303077d6ab99@googlegroups.com> <f1a73044-4883-4934-80ee-82438bd6deca@googlegroups.com> <3ffcd825-2b7a-452c-ba28-7661a0114fda@googlegroups.com> <b1c7734d-adbe-4839-82be-311a73c7408b@googlegroups.com> <495edf72-c839-4075-aeeb-b3f6745d0ab5@googlegroups.com> <slrnmfhdbe.imt.peadar.ruadh@pjr.no-ip.org> <mdaek2$6ju$1@dont-email.me> <84dbe128-9577-4b04-9c5e-b423970392bbn@googlegroups.com>
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 19:56 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> George Dance wrote:

>>> I changed the subject header, BTW, in the hope of making the Lovecraft links easier to find in a search later.

>>> Thanks for the leads. I've added Bremser into PPP, using the wiki article, and adding a few links (including the one to the above book) and a video.. I compiled a new bibliography: turns out he published at least 6 books, right up to his death in the late 90s. As a bonus, I even found (and referenced) a mention of him in a Dylan poem:
>>>
>>> http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Bremser

>> Quite interesting back story....!!

> Good morning, yes, Ray Bremser was an interesting person as well as poet.

Here is a lovely tribute to Ray B.

https://www.thirdmindbooks.com/pages/books/3972/michael-buchenroth-ray-bremser/four-beats-diverged-in-ginsbergs-woods

***** Written on the occasion of the Ray Bremser Memorial held in Cherry Valley, NY at Allen Ginsberg's farm in 1998, poet-publisher (and Beat student/devotee) Michael Buchenroth brings us the elegiac and powerful "Four Beats Diverged in Ginsberg's Woods ********

"Indeed, ole Al convinced us / to turn left there just past / where that ole yellow car sat / there at the first T in that dirt path / after leaving Ginsberg's Committee. / Shortly, Joe's big Buick comenced (sic) to lurch-- / four burnt out beatnik hippies / in a beat blue Buick lurch'n down this eternal short cut, / that I suppose Charlie [Plymell] might have had in mind / when he wrote the line / about the "totem slope of time" / in Baltimore there at Poe's Grave..." Michael Buchenroth

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Ray Bremser

<0f936f52effbb5f7888c4c70c435d7c5@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209459&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#209459

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:26:00 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <c8d928fc-cd57-40ba-a15b-60b57537e15a@googlegroups.com> <1be4bd9c-ed25-4e92-b3f0-83adc31d4623@googlegroups.com> <22759eda-5e43-489a-8376-5a4253a04196@googlegroups.com> <0332e2eb-f697-4163-84c6-10940262f11e@googlegroups.com> <87caef12-ddb5-4598-bb31-f807884692b8@googlegroups.com> <6a74aa6f-6b56-4a9a-a9b6-303077d6ab99@googlegroups.com> <f1a73044-4883-4934-80ee-82438bd6deca@googlegroups.com> <3ffcd825-2b7a-452c-ba28-7661a0114fda@googlegroups.com> <b1c7734d-adbe-4839-82be-311a73c7408b@googlegroups.com> <495edf72-c839-4075-aeeb-b3f6745d0ab5@googlegroups.com> <slrnmfhdbe.imt.peadar.ruadh@pjr.no-ip.org> <mdaek2$6ju$1@dont-email.me> <84dbe128-9577-4b04-9c5e-b423970392bbn@googlegroups.com> <86c9cadd3df0c5b9675c07e8611dd0c8@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:26 UTC