A visit to a fresh place will bring strange work.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)anim8rfsk
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)anim8rfsk
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<uged29$3tub5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205785&group=rec.arts.tv#205785

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:45:13 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:45 UTC

Yesterday, I decided to finish out season #2 of "Foundation":

soaps: DOOL - (Fri's ep.) Ha! Sloan's newest case - Xander - hits way
too close to home when Xander launches into a rant about Sarah keeping
his baby secret from him! But, later, Xander seems certain to change his
tune when Sarah tells him she is divorcing Rex (who also seems to get
written out in this episode - so add him to the recent list). Also,
Sarah is stunned when she discovers that Susan is alive, which changes
her view of Xander. Susan warns EJ to stay on the straight-and-narrow
(as IF!!). Ava slaps the make on Harris! while earlier Kate told Harris
to get a job as a copper.

Foundation (Apple TV+) - Ep's #2.7-2.10.
OK, I guess, overall, season #2 was more interesting than season #1
was. But I'm pretty sure that this had almost nothing to do with the books!
Of these episodes, the best was #2.9, which was a real corker! much
better than the season finale which felt like too much fan service.
But, anyway, in these, we find why/how Tellum Bond is so EVOL!!1!
and what she's after. Along the way, we get the development that pretty
much had to be the case, though it took way too much plot armor and
hand-waving to get there! There is also a "shocking twist" at the end.
Meanwhile, we finally get the face-off between the Empire and the
First Foundation, which causes Emperor Day to go completely rogue!! (Lee
Pace chews the scenery in all of season #2 with a "Devil may care"
bravado!!) This ends mostly like you would expect, though again there's
a little too much fan-service in here.
And we finally get the background on "Lady Demerzel", and what
exactly she's up to, and it's also mostly what you would expect.
Looks like season #3 will pick up another 150 years later...
P.S. Yep, this show does look pretty damn good in 4k. But, so far,
"Fast X" still seems to be the winner of the "4k sweepstakes"!

I think next up for me, in terms of streaming series will be "The Wheel
of Time" (season 2).

What did you watch?!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<ugehjh$3v3fn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205799&group=rec.arts.tv#205799

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:02:25 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:02 UTC

On 10/14/2023 8:45 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> Yesterday, I decided to finish out season #2 of "Foundation":
>
> soaps: DOOL - (Fri's ep.) Ha! Sloan's newest case - Xander - hits way
> too close to home when Xander launches into a rant about Sarah keeping
> his baby secret from him! But, later, Xander seems certain to change his
> tune when Sarah tells him she is divorcing Rex (who also seems to get
> written out in this episode - so add him to the recent list). Also,
> Sarah is stunned when she discovers that Susan is alive, which changes
> her view of Xander. Susan warns EJ to stay on the straight-and-narrow
> (as IF!!). Ava slaps the make on Harris! while earlier Kate told Harris
> to get a job as a copper.
>
> Foundation (Apple TV+) - Ep's #2.7-2.10.
>    OK, I guess, overall, season #2 was more interesting than season #1
> was. But I'm pretty sure that this had almost nothing to do with the books!

On the official show podcast they mentioned the books don't have the
same characters alive this long so they have to deviate in order to keep
the same cast.

>    Of these episodes, the best was #2.9, which was a real corker! much
> better than the season finale which felt like too much fan service.
>    But, anyway, in these, we find why/how Tellum Bond is so EVOL!!1!
> and what she's after. Along the way, we get the development that pretty
> much had to be the case, though it took way too much plot armor and
> hand-waving to get there! There is also a "shocking twist" at the end.
>    Meanwhile, we finally get the face-off between the Empire and the
> First Foundation, which causes Emperor Day to go completely rogue!! (Lee
> Pace chews the scenery in all of season #2 with a "Devil may care"
> bravado!!) This ends mostly like you would expect, though again there's
> a little too much fan-service in here.
>    And we finally get the background on "Lady Demerzel", and what
> exactly she's up to, and it's also mostly what you would expect.
>    Looks like season #3 will pick up another 150 years later...
>    P.S. Yep, this show does look pretty damn good in 4k. But, so far,
> "Fast X" still seems to be the winner of the "4k sweepstakes"!
>
> I think next up for me, in terms of streaming series will be "The Wheel
> of Time" (season 2).
>

> What did you watch?!

On Friday the 13th I watched:

House (blu-ray) 1986 horror comedy starring William Katt as a Vietnam
vet and famous author who moves into his aunt's house after she commits
suicide. He quickly discovers the house is haunted and responsible for
his young son going missing. Not only that but the house desperately
wants him dead. The movie holds up great.

My favorite line from the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHkFb1qbMI

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (4K disc) 2018 fantasy movie
starring Jack Black and Cate Blanchett as a warlock and witch who take
in Black's ten-year-old nephew after the boy's mother dies. The boy
quickly learns that he's living with magical beings who are trying to
save the world. I haven't watched this since the original release and
had pretty much forgotten what happens in it. Overall I guess it was
OK. The movie was directed by Eli Roth and seemed like an odd choice to
direct a family friendly movie. On the commentary he mentioned the
movie is based on a series of novels and spoke of making a sequel, but
in 5 years there's no sequel so I guess that's not happening.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<1735469885.718997125.829257.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205800&group=rec.arts.tv#205800

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:46:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:46 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/14/2023 8:45 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> Yesterday, I decided to finish out season #2 of "Foundation":
>>
>> soaps: DOOL - (Fri's ep.) Ha! Sloan's newest case - Xander - hits way
>> too close to home when Xander launches into a rant about Sarah keeping
>> his baby secret from him! But, later, Xander seems certain to change his
>> tune when Sarah tells him she is divorcing Rex (who also seems to get
>> written out in this episode - so add him to the recent list). Also,
>> Sarah is stunned when she discovers that Susan is alive, which changes
>> her view of Xander. Susan warns EJ to stay on the straight-and-narrow
>> (as IF!!). Ava slaps the make on Harris! while earlier Kate told Harris
>> to get a job as a copper.
>>
>> Foundation (Apple TV+) - Ep's #2.7-2.10.
>>    OK, I guess, overall, season #2 was more interesting than season #1
>> was. But I'm pretty sure that this had almost nothing to do with the books!
>
> On the official show podcast they mentioned the books don't have the
> same characters alive this long so they have to deviate in order to keep
> the same cast.
>
>>    Of these episodes, the best was #2.9, which was a real corker! much
>> better than the season finale which felt like too much fan service.
>>    But, anyway, in these, we find why/how Tellum Bond is so EVOL!!1!
>> and what she's after. Along the way, we get the development that pretty
>> much had to be the case, though it took way too much plot armor and
>> hand-waving to get there! There is also a "shocking twist" at the end.
>>    Meanwhile, we finally get the face-off between the Empire and the
>> First Foundation, which causes Emperor Day to go completely rogue!! (Lee
>> Pace chews the scenery in all of season #2 with a "Devil may care"
>> bravado!!) This ends mostly like you would expect, though again there's
>> a little too much fan-service in here.
>>    And we finally get the background on "Lady Demerzel", and what
>> exactly she's up to, and it's also mostly what you would expect.
>>    Looks like season #3 will pick up another 150 years later...
>>    P.S. Yep, this show does look pretty damn good in 4k. But, so far,
>> "Fast X" still seems to be the winner of the "4k sweepstakes"!
>>
>> I think next up for me, in terms of streaming series will be "The Wheel
>> of Time" (season 2).
>>

>> What did you watch?!
>

> On Friday the 13th I watched:
>

> House (blu-ray) 1986 horror comedy starring William Katt as a Vietnam
> vet and famous author who moves into his aunt's house after she commits
> suicide. He quickly discovers the house is haunted and responsible for
> his young son going missing. Not only that but the house desperately
> wants him dead. The movie holds up great.
>
> My favorite line from the movie:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHkFb1qbMI

I like House II: The Second Story (1987) better. Even though it has nothing
to do with the rest of the series (which continues to be made with a new
installment due next year), It’s like a movie about myself and my BFF with
one of my favorite Playboy Playmates, who is now married to one of Ian‘s
soap opera idols.

https://images.fandango.com/ImageRenderer/0/0/redesign/static/img/default_poster.png/0/images/masterrepository/performer%20images/169442/devindevasquez-emmyawards-18.jpg

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<919463641.718997754.157757.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205801&group=rec.arts.tv#205801

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:46:56 -0700

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> Yesterday, I decided to finish out season #2 of "Foundation":
>

> What did you watch?!

I forgot to mention in my previous catch-up.

THE MEG.
And
MEG 2 THE REVENGE THIS TIME IT’S PERSONAL ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

These movies are way better than they have any right to be. When I did some
outside reading because there were plot points that confused me, I found
out there’s a series of like eight books that started in the previous
century, and continued to be published, which seem like, Dirk Pitt rip
offs. If you think you would like transporter versus shark films with some
pretty ludicrous science, Fred Bob says, check them out!

Susan Lucci is Robert Urich’s INVITATION TO HELL
Robert Urich comes to work in a small company town where Susan Lucci runs
the local country club everybody belongs to. The snake girl is played by
Joanna Cassidy. Urich’s daughter, who is indistinguishable from Dawn Lynn
is played by Soleil Moon Frye. Lucci lures everybody to Hell. Luckily Urich
has been working on a $10 million spacesuit that’s fully automated with
self activating lasers and giant spinning tops of doom which is just the
thing to invade Hell in and zap Satan and save your family.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<ugeluh$1pl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205802&group=rec.arts.tv#205802

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:16:49 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 18:16 UTC

On 10/14/23 10:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, I decided to finish out season #2 of "Foundation":
>>
>> What did you watch?!
>
> I forgot to mention in my previous catch-up.
>
> THE MEG.
> And
> MEG 2 THE REVENGE THIS TIME IT’S PERSONAL ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
>
> These movies are way better than they have any right to be. When I did some
> outside reading because there were plot points that confused me, I found
> out there’s a series of like eight books that started in the previous
> century, and continued to be published, which seem like, Dirk Pitt rip
> offs. If you think you would like transporter versus shark films with some
> pretty ludicrous science, Fred Bob says, check them out!

BTR doesn't want to hear it, but MEG 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO looks pretty
great in 4k!! :)

> Susan Lucci is Robert Urich’s INVITATION TO HELL
> Robert Urich comes to work in a small company town where Susan Lucci runs
> the local country club everybody belongs to. The snake girl is played by
> Joanna Cassidy. Urich’s daughter, who is indistinguishable from Dawn Lynn
> is played by Soleil Moon Frye. Lucci lures everybody to Hell. Luckily Urich
> has been working on a $10 million spacesuit that’s fully automated with
> self activating lasers and giant spinning tops of doom which is just the
> thing to invade Hell in and zap Satan and save your family.

OK, this sounds *awesome*!! :)

Ian (Scariest part is, there's a decent chance I watched this when it
originally aired in 1984!! ;p )

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<ugepb5$qi1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205806&group=rec.arts.tv#205806

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:45:21 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 18:45 UTC

On 10/14/2023 10:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
>>> of Time" (season 2).
>>>

>>> What did you watch?!
>>

>> On Friday the 13th I watched:
>>

>> House (blu-ray) 1986 horror comedy starring William Katt as a Vietnam
>> vet and famous author who moves into his aunt's house after she commits
>> suicide. He quickly discovers the house is haunted and responsible for
>> his young son going missing. Not only that but the house desperately
>> wants him dead. The movie holds up great.
>>
>> My favorite line from the movie:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHkFb1qbMI
>
> I like House II: The Second Story (1987) better. Even though it has nothing
> to do with the rest of the series (which continues to be made with a new
> installment due next year), It’s like a movie about myself and my BFF with
> one of my favorite Playboy Playmates, who is now married to one of Ian‘s

I barely tolerate House II. That being said, I was annoyed at myself
that I wasn't able to squeeze in House II.

What's this about a new installment next year?!?

There are 4 "House" movie currently, but I've only watched the first
two. I don't think I've seen a frame of "House 3" (which I know is an
unrelated movie). About 30 years ago I was flipping channels and
discovered "House 4" existed. And William Katt was in it. It was the
middle of the movie so I decided to wait for it to air again. 30 years
later, I'm still waiting! :-/

There is a 4K box set of all 4 movies in Europe which I would love to
import, but it sold out quick. Also I think there was some rights
issues with 3 and 4 as to why they never got a U.S. release on disc.
I've heard rumblings the box set might get a release in the U.S.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<133090475.719005849.726426.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205812&group=rec.arts.tv#205812

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:58:49 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:58 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/14/23 10:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday, I decided to finish out season #2 of "Foundation":
>>>
>>> What did you watch?!
>>
>> I forgot to mention in my previous catch-up.
>>
>> THE MEG.
>> And
>> MEG 2 THE REVENGE THIS TIME IT’S PERSONAL ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
>>
>> These movies are way better than they have any right to be. When I did some
>> outside reading because there were plot points that confused me, I found
>> out there’s a series of like eight books that started in the previous
>> century, and continued to be published, which seem like, Dirk Pitt rip
>> offs. If you think you would like transporter versus shark films with some
>> pretty ludicrous science, Fred Bob says, check them out!
>
> BTR doesn't want to hear it, but MEG 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO looks pretty
> great in 4k!! :)
>
>> Susan Lucci is Robert Urich’s INVITATION TO HELL
>> Robert Urich comes to work in a small company town where Susan Lucci runs
>> the local country club everybody belongs to. The snake girl is played by
>> Joanna Cassidy. Urich’s daughter, who is indistinguishable from Dawn Lynn
>> is played by Soleil Moon Frye. Lucci lures everybody to Hell. Luckily Urich
>> has been working on a $10 million spacesuit that’s fully automated with
>> self activating lasers and giant spinning tops of doom which is just the
>> thing to invade Hell in and zap Satan and save your family.
>
> OK, this sounds *awesome*!! :)
>

> Ian (Scariest part is, there's a decent chance I watched this when it
> originally aired in 1984!! ;p )

I am amazed, I didn’t.

It’s on Peacock, Tubi, Freevee… I found somebody who didn’t have
commercials.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<1321136798.719006114.677997.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205813&group=rec.arts.tv#205813

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:58:50 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:58 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/14/2023 10:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> On the official show podcast they mentioned the books don't have the
>>> same characters alive this long so they have to deviate in order to keep
>>> the same cast.

>>> On Friday the 13th I watched:
>>>

>>> House (blu-ray) 1986 horror comedy starring William Katt as a Vietnam
>>> vet and famous author who moves into his aunt's house after she commits
>>> suicide. He quickly discovers the house is haunted and responsible for
>>> his young son going missing. Not only that but the house desperately
>>> wants him dead. The movie holds up great.
>>>
>>> My favorite line from the movie:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHkFb1qbMI
>>
>> I like House II: The Second Story (1987) better. Even though it has nothing
>> to do with the rest of the series (which continues to be made with a new
>> installment due next year), It’s like a movie about myself and my BFF with
>> one of my favorite Playboy Playmates, who is now married to one of Ian‘s
>> soap opera idols.
>>
>> https://images.fandango.com/ImageRenderer/0/0/redesign/static/img/default_poster.png/0/images/masterrepository/performer%20images/169442/devindevasquez-emmyawards-18.jpg
>>

> I barely tolerate House II. That being said, I was annoyed at myself
> that I wasn't able to squeeze in House II.
>
> What's this about a new installment next year?!?

Ian says in his Wikipedia article on the series:

In January 2023, it was announced that a new film intended to relaunch the
House Intellectual property is in development. Jeremy Weiss will serve as
director, with a script written by Jeff Locker, from a story pitch
co-authored by Locker and Weiss. The plot is said to be a comedy-horror
contemporary reimagining of the series that will include monster characters
from the original film. The pair pitched their story to Sean S. Cunningham,
who approved the story and will be serving as producer. The first teaser
poster debuted, with the release slated for an unspecified date in 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(film_series)?wprov=sfti1

> There are 4 "House" movie currently, but I've only watched the first
> two. I don't think I've seen a frame of "House 3" (which I know is an
> unrelated movie). About 30 years ago I was flipping channels and
> discovered "House 4" existed. And William Katt was in it. It was the
> middle of the movie so I decided to wait for it to air again. 30 years
> later, I'm still waiting! :-/
>
> There is a 4K box set of all 4 movies in Europe which I would love to
> import, but it sold out quick. Also I think there was some rights
> issues with 3 and 4 as to why they never got a U.S. release on disc.
> I've heard rumblings the box set might get a release in the U.S.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<uget6n$1js7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205815&group=rec.arts.tv#205815

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:20:39 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:20 UTC

On 10/14/23 12:58 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I forgot to mention in my previous catch-up.
>>>
>>> Susan Lucci is Robert Urich’s INVITATION TO HELL
>>> Robert Urich comes to work in a small company town where Susan Lucci runs
>>> the local country club everybody belongs to. The snake girl is played by
>>> Joanna Cassidy. Urich’s daughter, who is indistinguishable from Dawn Lynn
>>> is played by Soleil Moon Frye. Lucci lures everybody to Hell. Luckily Urich
>>> has been working on a $10 million spacesuit that’s fully automated with
>>> self activating lasers and giant spinning tops of doom which is just the
>>> thing to invade Hell in and zap Satan and save your family.
>>
>> OK, this sounds *awesome*!! :)
>>

>> Ian (Scariest part is, there's a decent chance I watched this when it
>> originally aired in 1984!! ;p )
>
> I am amazed, I didn’t.
>
> It’s on Peacock, Tubi, Freevee… I found somebody who didn’t have
> commercials.

For me, the Peacock version wouldn't have ads.

But this would be *way down* my list of stuff to watch. I will likely
never get to it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<uget6u$1i4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205816&group=rec.arts.tv#205816

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:20:46 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:20 UTC

On 10/14/2023 12:58 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I like House II: The Second Story (1987) better. Even though it has nothing
>>> to do with the rest of the series (which continues to be made with a new
>>> installment due next year), It’s like a movie about myself and my BFF with
>>> one of my favorite Playboy Playmates, who is now married to one of Ian‘s
>>> soap opera idols.
>>>
>>> https://images.fandango.com/ImageRenderer/0/0/redesign/static/img/default_poster.png/0/images/masterrepository/performer%20images/169442/devindevasquez-emmyawards-18.jpg
>>>

>> I barely tolerate House II. That being said, I was annoyed at myself
>> that I wasn't able to squeeze in House II.
>>
>> What's this about a new installment next year?!?
>
> Ian says in his Wikipedia article on the series:
>
> In January 2023, it was announced that a new film intended to relaunch the
> House Intellectual property is in development. Jeremy Weiss will serve as
> director, with a script written by Jeff Locker, from a story pitch
> co-authored by Locker and Weiss. The plot is said to be a comedy-horror
> contemporary reimagining of the series that will include monster characters
> from the original film. The pair pitched their story to Sean S. Cunningham,
> who approved the story and will be serving as producer. The first teaser
> poster debuted, with the release slated for an unspecified date in 2024.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(film_series)?wprov=sfti1

Cool! Thanks!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<1785125723.719016624.100568.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205826&group=rec.arts.tv#205826

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:51:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 22:51 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/14/23 12:58 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> OK, this sounds *awesome*!! :)
>>>

>>> Ian (Scariest part is, there's a decent chance I watched this when it
>>> originally aired in 1984!! ;p )
>>
>> I am amazed, I didn’t.
>>
>> It’s on Peacock, Tubi, Freevee… I found somebody who didn’t have
>> commercials.
>
> For me, the Peacock version wouldn't have ads.
>
> But this would be *way down* my list of stuff to watch. I will likely
> never get to it.

:(

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<113994224.719016657.535932.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205827&group=rec.arts.tv#205827

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:51:36 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 22:51 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/14/2023 12:58 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I barely tolerate House II. That being said, I was annoyed at myself
>>> that I wasn't able to squeeze in House II.
>>>
>>> What's this about a new installment next year?!?
>>
>> Ian says in his Wikipedia article on the series:
>>
>> In January 2023, it was announced that a new film intended to relaunch the
>> House Intellectual property is in development. Jeremy Weiss will serve as
>> director, with a script written by Jeff Locker, from a story pitch
>> co-authored by Locker and Weiss. The plot is said to be a comedy-horror
>> contemporary reimagining of the series that will include monster characters
>> from the original film. The pair pitched their story to Sean S. Cunningham,
>> who approved the story and will be serving as producer. The first teaser
>> poster debuted, with the release slated for an unspecified date in 2024.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(film_series)?wprov=sfti1
>>

> Cool! Thanks!

:)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-13 (Friday)

<UBI20231013@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205993&group=rec.arts.tv#205993

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 4:30:43 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

In article uged29$3tub5$1@dont-email.me, ijball@mac.invalid wrote:

> What did you watch?!

After wasting half the day in jury ;pool selection, I watched:

WHAT IF WE COLONIZED VENUS BEFORE MARS?:
Venus and Earth are essentially twins. They are similar in size, density,
gravity, and physical structure. Both are in the habitable zone of our star.
Scientists have not discovered any other neighboring planet in the entire
galaxy that shares such similarities.
Yet, somewhere along the way, Earth became a cosmic paradise for life as we
know it, while Venus turned into a hellish landscape. Under its yellowish
sulfuric acid clouds, the greenhouse effect has made its surface hotter than
Mercury's, even though the planet itself is much farther from the Sun. A
block of lead would melt on Venus's surface in the same way that a block of
ice melts on Earth.
Terrible, yes, but also fascinating! With so much to learn about a planet so
close to Earth, why did NASA halt its exploration of Venus?
First, there isn't enough funding. NASA receives half of 1% of the federal
budget, and only a fraction of that goes to planetary science. Second, it's
much easier to explore our other neighbor, Mars, than to study Venus. Mars
won't melt lead. Rovers have a lifespan measured in decades. Meanwhile, any
robotic mission to the Venusian surface is destined to be short and brutal.
Furthermore, Mars has a romantic appeal that Venus will never possess.
Someday, humans will walk on Mars and perhaps even settle there.
The third, and perhaps the most devastating, factor hindering the exploration
of Venus is NASA's stubborn focus on missions searching for extraterrestrial
life.
The question of whether we are alone in the universe is too enticing from a
media perspective for the agency to resist its allure...
https://youtu.be/B9545CnKLis?si=bhzaJowdpP__vJUx

SCIENTISTS THINK THERE COULD BE LIFE ON TITAN AND IT'S EVEN WEIRDER THAN WE
THOUGHT!:
Saturn's largest moon, Titan has captivated the imaginations of scientists
for decades. Why? Because below all that thick cloud, vast seas, lakes and
rivers have been discovered pouring over parts of its frozen surface.
This is the only place in the solar system, other than Earth, where liquid
flows across the surface. So just like home, could Titan's seas and lakes
harbour life? And if they do, what might it look like?
https://youtu.be/CLPNvdaNgjs?si=lwF6WClKrcxBOCeG

ROBYN HOOD DIRECTOR X *MELTDOWN* AS SHOW *FLOPS*:
Robyn Hood reviews were of a new Canadian show from Director X. A "modern
re-imagining" of the classic English tale of Robin Hood. As the third episode
launches with reviews on the way, Director X isn't happy with the shows
response from critics. Taking to Instagram to talk about the comments and
reviews on sites light IMDB. But is Director X right in his commentary? Or is
it more a question of is Robyn Hood worth watching?
https://youtu.be/uWRNhwT7KUU?si=5BF2eDu5Zivc3F_2

HOW VIDEODROME PREDICTED MODERN MEDIA AND INTERNET CULTURE:
David Cronenberg's 1983 film had a lot to say about the future of technology
and media...and interestingly enough, he was pretty close on a lot of it.
Join me as we dissect this cult classic that feels even more relevant in 2023
than it was four decades ago on today's episode of Deep Cuts!
https://youtu.be/homALMr8YsU?si=MUb0kNgmm3HrTKk-

re:View - DAWN OF THE DEAD:
When there's no more room in Hell, Mike and Jay will discuss the George A.
Romero zombie classic Dawn of the Dead and manage to avoid using the phrase
"social commentary" the entire time.
https://youtu.be/EdTNuZWA4mY?si=gCFwtJ7YojK5UsKx

THE NEW DISNEY MOVIE LOOKS LIKE GARBAGE:
Disney's trailer for their new movie, WISH, has been released. Spoiler: it
doesn't look good.
https://youtu.be/9WAPTGe45ws?si=ggS0KJ6d_CglnbQb

SOUTH PARK IS GOING TO SKEWER GENDER/RACE SWAPPING | Film Threat Reviews:
Chris Gore and Alan Ng give their reactions to the upcoming "South Park:
Going the Panderverse" event, coming to Paramount+ October 27.
https://youtu.be/t--sHIcxmWg?si=_i0kC-5KzVThcS9L

re:View - RE-ANIMATOR AND FROM BEYOND:
Boooooo! Just in time for Halloween, Jay and Jack check out a spooky double
feature of Stuart Gordon schlock: Re-Animator starring Jeffrey Combs and
Barbara Crampton, and From Beyond starring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara
Crampton.
https://youtu.be/NAPeMftLe_o?si=TyNmvpzMMZA0agOQ

re:View - SUSPIRIA (1977):
This is part 1 of a double feature in which Jay and Josh discuss the two
Suspirias! In this part, they focus on the original Dario Argento classic
from 1977. Look out! Witches!
https://youtu.be/GgHNfOrislI?si=ODrWkfPP1yF0V8ON

re:View - SUSPIRIA (2018):
Jay and Josh discuss the controversial and very divisive 2018 remake of
Suspiria. Set expectations to "subverted."
https://youtu.be/-CLsXiIkWs8?si=i5lBGONEtRh5qG5C

re:View - GEORGE A. ROMERO'S MARTIN:
Jay and Josh discuss one of several of George A. Romero's great non-zombie
films Martin!
https://youtu.be/C47zRs6SPZM?si=oHIB0KN6-E19q91A

THE MOST BLATANT FRIDAY THE 13TH RIPOFF EVER MADE! SRIGALA AKA WOLF:
There have been a lot of movies that have ripped off Friday the 13th over the
years, but today's movie might be the most blatant one of all. Join me as we
examine Srigala!
https://youtu.be/7vY-TvmRiSo?si=3d0lMwDfBDFo4sJf

THE DARK SIDE OF THE RING:
"Breaking the Cycle: The Graham Dynasty". Florida became a wrestling mecca
for decades under patriarch Eddie Graham and his son Mike, but a series of
shocking and unrelenting tragedies threatened to eclipse their legacy.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!