If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Robin Miller
+* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023anim8rfsk
|+* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Ian J. Ball
||`- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023anim8rfsk
|`- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Robin Miller
+* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Adam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Robin Miller
| `- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Adam H. Kerman
`* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Ian J. Ball
 `- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023Robin Miller

1
Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<kp0gn2Ft90tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205821&group=rec.arts.tv#205821

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:49:13 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17.1
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:49 UTC

Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.

--Robin

Previously released:

Kasargold (Netflix, Oct. 13)

A car crash leaves two gold smugglers without their valuable cargo. But
getting it back means chasing the thief deep into Kerala's chaotic
underworld. 2023 Indian film; 2h 19m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81713648

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22309174/ [6.5 rating]

Baby Animal Cam (Netflix, Oct. 12)

Keep an eye on the daily routines, quirky habits and cozy habitats of
several baby animals at Cleveland Metroparks. Live event in English.
Apparently is live at 2 pm on four consecutive Thursdays starting last
Thursday, Oct. 12

https://www.netflix.com/title/81730862

OMG 2 (Netflix, Oct. 9)

A devout father takes on a dogmatic school -- and his own moral beliefs
-- after the school expels his son over an embarrassing video that goes
viral. 2023 Indian film; 2h 36m.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15732324/ [7.8 rating]

https://www.netflix.com/title/81722145

Saturday, Oct. 14

The Murdaugh Murders (movie) (3:01 am, Tubi)

A determined reporter interviews the infamous Alex Murdaugh and hopes
for answers pertaining to the alleged murders of his wife and son. Stars
Chris McGarry as Alex Murdaugh and Nichelle Hines as the "determined
reporter," Alicia Seaborne. 1 hr, 22 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDNQd9ydXU

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28085493/

https://tubitv.com/movies/100008701/the-murdaugh-murders

Murdaugh Murders: The Movie (Part 1) (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime
Channel)

Murdaugh Murders: The Movie follows the twisted true story of Alex
Murdaugh played by award-winning actor Bill Pullman, who was found
guilty in the double homicide of his wife Maggie and his son Paul. For
over 100 years, the wealthy and powerful Murdaugh family were a local
dynasty in the South Carolina low country, where they oversaw the
prosecution of all criminal cases in the state’s 14th circuit district.
But even with all of Alex’s influence, he couldn’t prevent The Murdaugh
family’s legacy from being tarnished after Paul was involved in a
boating accident that left a young girl dead. While Maggie was consumed
with what was happening with Paul, Alex was hiding his addiction to
opioids and stealing insurance settlements from his own clients to fund
his habit and the family’s lavish lifestyle. Then, in June 2021, Maggie
and Paul were found murdered and eyes began to turn to Alex. The bizarre
story continued when Alex was nearly shot in the head and his
indiscretions and lies began to surface, leading to the eventual
unraveling of Alex Murdaugh’s once charmed life.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/murdaugh-murders-the-movie-part-1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29121419/

Field Day (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Three moms from different social circles are forced to work together to
plan their kids' elementary school "field day." Stars Rachel Boston,
Benjamin Ayres, Shannon Chan-Kent and Carmel Amit.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/field-day

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23812328/

Destined 2: Christmas Once More (movie) (8 pm, Great American
Family)

In this sequel, Theo (Casey Elliott) continues to miss connecting with
his girlfriend Kim (Shae Robins) as he attempts to propose at Christmas.

https://www.greatamericanfamily.com/movie/destined-2-christmas-once-more/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29483952/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21329252/ ["Destined at Christmas" from
2022]

Saturday Night Live (season 49 premiere) (11:30 pm, NBC)

Sunday, Oct. 15

Pantheon (season 2 premiere) (12:01 am (?), Prime Video)

Maddie, a bullied teen, receives help from someone online. It turns out
that the person is her deceased father, David. His consciousness has
been uploaded to the cloud after an experimental brain scan. Turns out,
he's not the only one. Animated series.

Season 1 aired on AMC+, which cancelled the series after ordering two
more seasons. Prime Video then purchased the rights to the show.
Episodes are to be released weekly. Prime Video shows are usually
released at 12:01 am, but The Futon Critic gives a 3:01 am ET release
time for this series. I don't know if this is correct.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11680642/ [rating 8.2]

https://pantheon-amc.fandom.com/wiki/Pantheon_Wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4zqd3k3yg

Camp Courage (documentary short) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Made refugees by the war in Ukraine, Olga and her granddaughter Milana
travel to a summer camp in the Austrian Alps to test the limits of their
own bravery and to strengthen their growing bond. 33 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOX6pVxlVY8

https://www.netflix.com/title/81706977

Murdaugh Murders: The Movie (part 2) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

See Saturday's listings for description.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/murdaugh-murders-the-movie-part-2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29121419/

Hotel Portofino (season 2 premiere) (8 pm, PBS)

Set in the 1920s, Bella Ainsworth (Natascha McElhone) and her family
open an upscale British hotel near the Italian Riviera in this drama
based on J.P. O'Connell's novel of the same name. Six episodes running
through Nov. 19.

https://www.pbs.org/show/hotel-portofino/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14815774/ [rating 6.7]

The Cowboy and the Movie Star (movie) (8 pm, UPtv)

When city girl and actress Isabella lands a dream role as a rancher, the
studio sends her to live on a ranch to learn the ropes but she soon
discovers the rancher, Hunter, is too busy trying to save his ranch from
ruin to help make her dreams come true. Can Isabella find a way to help
save the ranch and her starring role? Stars MacKenzie Porter and Toby
Levins.

https://uptv.com/movies/the-cowboy-and-the-movie-star/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21342760/ [as "Rancher 101"]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160152/ [1998 film by the same name
starring Sean Young and Perry King]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj7CH15rKq8

World on Fire (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)

World on Fire is an adrenalized, emotionally gripping, and resonant
World War II drama that follows the intertwining fates of ordinary
people in multiple countries as they grapple with the effects of war on
their everyday lives. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/world-on-fire/

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/world-on-fire/season-2/ [score 69]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001092/ [rating 7.3]

The Insurrectionist Next Door (documentary) (9 pm, HBO)

Documentary filmmaker Alexandra Pelosi witnessed the events of January
6, 2021, unfold from inside the U.S. Capitol. In "The Insurrectionist
Next Door," she talks to several people who stormed the building that
day about what brought them to Washington, D.C., and whether their views
have shifted since. 1h 15m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NyMk-qGdAs

https://www.hbo.com/movies/the-insurrectionist-next-door

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29466126/

Billy the Kid (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, MGM+)

An epic romantic adventure series based on the life of famous American
outlaw Billy the Kid, also known as William H. Bonney---from his humble
Irish roots, to his early days as a cowboy and gunslinger in the
American frontier, to his pivotal role in the Lincoln County War and
beyond. Eight episodes, split into two halves. Part 2 won't arrive until
sometime next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1W4qEMa2Q4

https://www.mgmplus.com/series/billy-the-kid

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14586544/ [rating 7.2]

The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon (season 1 finale; renewed for season
2) (9 pm, AMC)

When Calls the Heart (season 10 finale; renewed for season 11)
(9 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Annika (season 2 premiere) (10 pm, PBS)

DI Annika Strandhed (Nicola Walker) balances investigating cases for
Glasgow's new Marine Homicide Unit and raising her teenage daughter in
this BBC crime drama. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsMFMB17FA

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/annika/season-2/

https://www.pbs.org/show/annika/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13643704/ [rating 7.1]

The Winter King (new time slot) (10 pm, MGM+)

Moves from 9 pm for episodes 7 through 10.

Rick and Morty (season 7 premiere) (11 pm, Adult Swim)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKYJ5AIOU9I

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/rick-morty/season-7/ [score 72]

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<345509644.719016827.935798.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205829&group=rec.arts.tv#205829

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:01:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 23:01 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.
>
> --Robin
>

> Previously released:
>

> Baby Animal Cam (Netflix, Oct. 12)
>
> Keep an eye on the daily routines, quirky habits and cozy habitats of
> several baby animals at Cleveland Metroparks. Live event in English.

That’s a surprise for something on the Netflix

> Saturday, Oct. 14

> Sunday, Oct. 15
>

> Hotel Portofino (season 2 premiere) (8 pm, PBS)

Note that if it’s still pledge week, this probably won’t actually be shown

> Billy the Kid (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, MGM+)

Nobody gets MGM+!

> The Winter King (new time slot) (10 pm, MGM+)

See above

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<ugf6u0$3ju5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205831&group=rec.arts.tv#205831

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 23:06:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 23:06 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Hotel Portofino (season 2 premiere) (8 pm, PBS)

>Set in the 1920s, Bella Ainsworth (Natascha McElhone) and her family
>open an upscale British hotel near the Italian Riviera in this drama
>based on J.P. O'Connell's novel of the same name. Six episodes running
>through Nov. 19.

>https://www.pbs.org/show/hotel-portofino/

>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14815774/ [rating 6.7]

How did they get a second season out of one novel?

Did I even like the first series? I remember they had to pay off a
Fascist, and there were all sorts of shenanigans going on, but they had
a lack of paying guests. I guess watch it for the scenery pr0n, I don't
recall it had much else going for it.

>The Cowboy and the Movie Star (movie) (8 pm, UPtv)

Isn't this title from a '50s movie?

>World on Fire (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)

>World on Fire is an adrenalized, emotionally gripping, and resonant
>World War II drama that follows the intertwining fates of ordinary
>people in multiple countries as they grapple with the effects of war on
>their everyday lives. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.

As I recall, it was cliche-ridden and the characters seemed all too
modern, not behaving like people behaved during the late 30s early 40s.
Did I finish this either?

>Annika (season 2 premiere) (10 pm, PBS)

>DI Annika Strandhed (Nicola Walker) balances investigating cases for
>Glasgow's new Marine Homicide Unit and raising her teenage daughter in
>this BBC crime drama. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.

Nicola Walker left Unforgotten to do this, which I truly don't get given
that a BBC or ITV series is rarely more than 6 episodes anyway.

It was a little different than most police procedurals but the marine
unit isn't well emphasized. Uniquely she uses her boat to get to work.

>The Winter King (new time slot) (10 pm, MGM+)

>Moves from 9 pm for episodes 7 through 10.

I've fallen several episodes behind.

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<ugfbcf$4if6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205838&group=rec.arts.tv#205838

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:22:39 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:22 UTC

On 10/14/23 4:01 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>

>> Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.
>>
>> --Robin
>>

>> Billy the Kid (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, MGM+)
>
> Nobody gets MGM+!

I'm pretty sure you do!! :p

>> The Winter King (new time slot) (10 pm, MGM+)
>
> See above

Ditto.

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<ugfc0f$4lu2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205839&group=rec.arts.tv#205839

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:33:19 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:33 UTC

On 10/14/23 2:49 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.
>
> --Robin
>

>         Previously released:

Ever notice that the "Previously released" stuff is all stuff no one
would want to watch?! ;)

>         Saturday, Oct. 14
>

> Murdaugh Murders: The Movie (Part 1)      (movie)     (8 pm, Lifetime
> Channel)
>
> Murdaugh Murders: The Movie follows the twisted true story of Alex
> Murdaugh played by award-winning actor Bill Pullman, who was found
> guilty in the double homicide of his wife Maggie and his son Paul. For
> over 100 years, the wealthy and powerful Murdaugh family were a local
> dynasty in the South Carolina low country, where they oversaw the
> prosecution of all criminal cases in the state’s 14th circuit district.
> But even with all of Alex’s influence, he couldn’t prevent The Murdaugh
> family’s legacy from being tarnished after Paul was involved in a
> boating accident that left a young girl dead. While Maggie was consumed
> with what was happening with Paul, Alex was hiding his addiction to
> opioids and stealing insurance settlements from his own clients to fund
> his habit and the family’s lavish lifestyle. Then, in June 2021, Maggie
> and Paul were found murdered and eyes began to turn to Alex. The bizarre
> story continued when Alex was nearly shot in the head and his
> indiscretions and lies began to surface, leading to the eventual
> unraveling of Alex Murdaugh’s once charmed life.

I'm actually skipping this - if it were one two-hour movie, I would have
watched. But I'm not giving over 4 hours to this...

> Field Day       (movie)       (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> Three moms from different social circles are forced to work together to
> plan their kids' elementary school "field day." Stars Rachel Boston,

I don't get what Hallmark thinks her "appeal" is. But if I see "Rachel
Boston", I immediately tune it out...

> Benjamin Ayres, Shannon Chan-Kent and Carmel Amit.
>

> Destined 2: Christmas Once More      (movie)     (8 pm, Great American
> Family)
>
> In this sequel, Theo (Casey Elliott) continues to miss connecting with
> his girlfriend Kim (Shae Robins) as he attempts to propose at Christmas.

And I still have no idea who "Shae Robins" is!!

>         Sunday, Oct. 15
>

> Pantheon       (season 2 premiere)         (12:01 am (?), Prime Video)
>
> Maddie, a bullied teen, receives help from someone online. It turns out
> that the person is her deceased father, David. His consciousness has
> been uploaded to the cloud after an experimental brain scan. Turns out,
> he's not the only one. Animated series.
>
> Season 1 aired on AMC+, which cancelled the series after ordering two
> more seasons. Prime Video then purchased the rights to the show.
> Episodes are to be released weekly. Prime Video shows are usually
> released at 12:01 am, but The Futon Critic gives a 3:01 am ET release
> time for this series. I don't know if this is correct.

Meh. I know there are a few people really liked this one. But that
premise does not appeal to me.

> Murdaugh Murders: The Movie (part 2)     (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> See Saturday's listings for description.

See my reply above.

> The Cowboy and the Movie Star          (movie)       (8 pm, UPtv)
>
> When city girl and actress Isabella lands a dream role as a rancher, the
> studio sends her to live on a ranch to learn the ropes but she soon
> discovers the rancher, Hunter, is too busy trying to save his ranch from
> ruin to help make her dreams come true. Can Isabella find a way to help
> save the ranch and her starring role? Stars MacKenzie Porter and Toby
> Levins.

OK, MacKenzie Porter was apparently in a Lifetime flick from a decade
ago, and a Siffy Saturday flick from before that. But I don't think I
have seen her in anything in the past decade.

> When Calls the Heart       (season 10 finale; renewed for season 11)
> (9 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Ooo, boy... [roll]

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<1881434537.719029337.358891.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205848&group=rec.arts.tv#205848

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:24:52 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 02:24 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/14/23 4:01 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>

>>> Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.
>>>
>>> --Robin
>>>

>>> Billy the Kid (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, MGM+)
>>
>> Nobody gets MGM+!
>
> I'm pretty sure you do!! :p

I thought I got Max?

>>> The Winter King (new time slot) (10 pm, MGM+)
>>
>> See above
>
> Ditto.

Huh.

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<kp199cF2t9lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205853&group=rec.arts.tv#205853

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:48:35 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:48 UTC

anim8rfsk wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>

>> Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.
>>
>> --Robin
>>

>> Previously released:
>>

>> Baby Animal Cam (Netflix, Oct. 12)
>>
>> Keep an eye on the daily routines, quirky habits and cozy habitats of
>> several baby animals at Cleveland Metroparks. Live event in English.
>
> That’s a surprise for something on the Netflix

Did I actually write that? (checking) Yes, I did. Well, that's silly.
Guess I was thinking of all those Indian movies in the "previously
released" section.

--Robin

(just here to post the rest of the week)

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<kp19mpF2v34U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205854&group=rec.arts.tv#205854

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:55:44 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:55 UTC

Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hotel Portofino (season 2 premiere) (8 pm, PBS)
>
>> Set in the 1920s, Bella Ainsworth (Natascha McElhone) and her family
>> open an upscale British hotel near the Italian Riviera in this drama
>> based on J.P. O'Connell's novel of the same name. Six episodes running
>> through Nov. 19.
>
>> https://www.pbs.org/show/hotel-portofino/
>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14815774/ [rating 6.7]
>
> How did they get a second season out of one novel?
>
> Did I even like the first series? I remember they had to pay off a
> Fascist, and there were all sorts of shenanigans going on, but they had
> a lack of paying guests. I guess watch it for the scenery pr0n, I don't
> recall it had much else going for it.
>
>> The Cowboy and the Movie Star (movie) (8 pm, UPtv)
>
> Isn't this title from a '50s movie?

1938 Gary Cooper movie "The Cowboy and the Lady":

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030018/

There was a "The Cowboy and the Movie Star" in 1998:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160152/

--Robin

>> World on Fire (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, PBS)
>
>> World on Fire is an adrenalized, emotionally gripping, and resonant
>> World War II drama that follows the intertwining fates of ordinary
>> people in multiple countries as they grapple with the effects of war on
>> their everyday lives. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.
>
> As I recall, it was cliche-ridden and the characters seemed all too
> modern, not behaving like people behaved during the late 30s early 40s.
> Did I finish this either?
>
>> Annika (season 2 premiere) (10 pm, PBS)
>
>> DI Annika Strandhed (Nicola Walker) balances investigating cases for
>> Glasgow's new Marine Homicide Unit and raising her teenage daughter in
>> this BBC crime drama. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.
>
> Nicola Walker left Unforgotten to do this, which I truly don't get given
> that a BBC or ITV series is rarely more than 6 episodes anyway.
>
> It was a little different than most police procedurals but the marine
> unit isn't well emphasized. Uniquely she uses her boat to get to work.

I will watch anything with Nicola Walker in it, but Unforgotten is much
better. The cases in the first season of Annika were quite slim.

And her replacement in Unforgotten is no match for her.

--Robin

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<kp19o8F2v34U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205855&group=rec.arts.tv#205855

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:56:32 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:56 UTC

Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 10/14/23 2:49 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>
>> Note: The programming for the rest of the week will be posted later.
>>
>> --Robin
>>

>>          Previously released:
>
> Ever notice that the "Previously released" stuff is all stuff no one
> would want to watch?!  ;)

Yep. Usually long Indian films that no one is going to watch.

--Robin

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 14-15, 2023

<ugft8r$bfd3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205858&group=rec.arts.tv#205858

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 05:27:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 05:27 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>>The Cowboy and the Movie Star (movie) (8 pm, UPtv)

>>Isn't this title from a '50s movie?

>1938 Gary Cooper movie "The Cowboy and the Lady":

>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030018/

I'm not sure what movie I was thinking of. Thanks

>There was a "The Cowboy and the Movie Star" in 1998:

>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160152/

>>>Annika (season 2 premiere) (10 pm, PBS)

>>>DI Annika Strandhed (Nicola Walker) balances investigating cases for
>>>Glasgow's new Marine Homicide Unit and raising her teenage daughter in
>>>this BBC crime drama. Six episodes running through Nov. 19.

>>Nicola Walker left Unforgotten to do this, which I truly don't get given
>>that a BBC or ITV series is rarely more than 6 episodes anyway.

>>It was a little different than most police procedurals but the marine
>>unit isn't well emphasized. Uniquely she uses her boat to get to work.

>I will watch anything with Nicola Walker in it, but Unforgotten is much
>better. The cases in the first season of Annika were quite slim.

I agree. The actress is often better than her material. I've liked
her since she was the techie from GCHQ on Spooks (MI-5).

>And her replacement in Unforgotten is no match for her.

I don't know what the writers were thinking of with the Jessi James (get
it?) character. She was almost entirely unlikeable, doing utterly crap
police work as she was overwhelmed with her failed marriage. In a police
procedural, doing crap work is not going to gain sympathy for your
character with the audience.