It's sweet to be remembered, but it's often cheaper to be forgotten.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Robin Miller
+* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Adam H. Kerman
|`- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Ian J. Ball
+* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023anim8rfsk
|`* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023shawn
| `- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023anim8rfsk
+* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Adam H. Kerman
| `* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Ian J. Ball
|  `* Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023Adam H. Kerman
|   `- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023anim8rfsk
`- Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023BTR1701

1
Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<kp1a5iF2v34U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205856&group=rec.arts.tv#205856

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 01:03:46 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17.1
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 05:03 UTC

Monday, Oct. 16

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01
am, Disney+)

https://deadline.com/2023/10/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-4k-restoration-1235567888/

https://movies.disney.com/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs

The American Buffalo (documentary miniseries) (8-10 pm, PBS)

Ken Burns' four-hour documentary tracing the history of the North
American buffalo concludes tomorrow at the same time.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-american-buffalo/ [score 82]

https://www.pbs.org/show/the-american-buffalo/

FBoy Island (season 3 premiere) (8 and 9 pm, two
episodes, CW)

The former Max series moves to the CW for its third season. Regular time
is 8 pm only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeS1u-jC5A

The Daily Show (returns from hiatus) (11 pm, Comedy Central)

The series will continue to rotate guest hosts until a new permanent
host begins sometime in early 2024.

Tuesday, Oct. 17

Streaming:

The Devil on Trial (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Using reenactments and home videos, this dark documentary investigates
the apparent possession of a young boy--and the brutal murder that
followed. British film; 1h 21m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81487924

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28810493/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPoyoCR9K4

Heather McMahan: Son I Never Had (comedy special) (3:01
am, Netflix)

https://www.netflix.com/title/81714202

I Woke Up a Vampire [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
Netflix)

Carmie Henley wakes up on her 13th birthday to discover she suddenly has
supernatural powers! With help from her best friend, Kev, she discovers
she's a Vampling: half human and half vampire. Half-hour episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07MyiuA23gY

https://www.netflix.com/title/81589046

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27591984/

Crush (documentary miniseries) (3:01 am, Paramount+)

This two-part streaming documentary examines the 2022 catastrophe in
Seoul where an overcrowded Halloween event led to the deaths of over 150
people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8Xl_hVwqA

Broadcast and cable:

Celebrity Squares [new] (8 and 8:30 pm, two episodes, VH1)

A modern twist on the classic game show format featuring Black pop
culture trivia.

Binged to Death (movie) (9 pm, MTV)

After learning their favorite reality show couples have broken up, an
obsessive single woman (Loni Love) and her best friend (Carl Anthony
Payne II) kidnap the contestants and force them into a series of
torturous games, all with the hopes of rekindling their favorite TV
romances. Also stars Quincy Brown, Loren Lott, Jessica Lord, Andre
Anthony, Dan Ginnane and Nico Tortorella.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29381712/

Navajo Police: Class 57 (documentary miniseries) (9 and 10
pm, two episodes, HBO)

Three-hour documentary that follows a group of recruits as they fight
their way through the Navajo Police Training Academy. Concludes tomorrow
at 9 pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djW9mNclFXE

https://www.hbo.com/navajo-police-class-57

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21357608/

The Oval (season 5 premiere) (9 pm, BET)

Wednesday, Oct. 18

Streaming:

Coleen Rooney: The Real Wagatha Story Trailer (documentary
miniseries) (12:01 am, Hulu)

She's known as one of Britain's most famous celebrities and wife of
England's record-scoring footballer Wayne Rooney. Uncovering one of the
biggest tabloid news stories in Britain for the last decade, it reveals
how Coleen turned amateur online sleuth to find an explanation for why
private stories concerning herself and her family continued to appear in
the media. Three episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf1l5cjhajY

Living for the Dead [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
Hulu)

From the creators of “Queer Eye,” five fabulous, queer ghost hunters
roam the country, helping the living by healing the dead. Our gay ‘Ghost
Hunties’ explore infamous haunted locations while pushing past
boundaries with both the living and the deceased. Eight episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15RhMymDxo

Kaala Paani: Dark Water [new; complete season 1] (3:01
am, Netflix)

When a mysterious illness descends upon the Andaman and Nicobar Islands,
a desperate fight for survival collides with a race to find a cure.
Indian series; 8 episodes?

https://www.netflix.com/title/81314368

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19072562/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andaman_and_Nicobar_Islands

Scariest Monsters in the World ("documentary") (3:01 am, Tubi)

Join us as we embark on this international countdown of the scariest
monsters in the world--who will be on your list as the most creepy?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29268352/ [stub only]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19872200/ ["Scariest Monsters in
America," 2022 Tubi Original]

Broadcast and cable:

Nature (season 42 premiere) (8 pm, PBS)

Sistas (season 6 fall premiere) (9 pm, BET)

American Horror Story (season 12 fall finale) (10 pm, FX)

Thursday, Oct. 19

Streaming:

Bodies [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Four detectives. Four timelines. One victim. In order to save the
future, they'll need to solve the murder that altered the course of
history first. Stephen Graham stars in this genre-bending mystery
thriller. British series; 8 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyZjIPB8paw

https://www.netflix.com/title/81252916

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18347622/

Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix [new; complete season
1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Anime; 6 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qhbFa3EcrU

https://www.netflix.com/title/81306319

Crashing Eid [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

When Razan's British Pakistani fiance crashes her Saudi family's Eid
celebrations, she attempts to convince them that he is a suitable match.
Saudi Arabian series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvHLFLAeEBM

https://www.netflix.com/title/81613815

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29311648/

Crypto Boy (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Following a dispute with his father, a young man falls prey to
cryptocurrency's allure and an entrepreneur's audacious promises of
financial freedom. Dutch film; 1h 43m.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24785544/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81488972/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-VpQcB9qI

Neon [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

This comedy centers on a young reggaeton artist who moves from small
town Florida to Miami in the hopes of making it big. All eight episodes
stream today. Eight episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJ-pa9V7R4

https://www.netflix.com/title/81450712

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23477248/

The Burning Girls [new] (3:01 am, Paramount+)

The Burning Girls is a brand new psychological thriller series starring
Samantha Morton and Ruby Stokes, who play a Vicar and her daughter. Both
arrive in a new village in hope of a fresh start but soon find the
strange community has terrible secrets in this six-episode adaptation of
the novel by C.J. Tudor. UK only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmInTD1W3k

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14226626/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Girls

Scavengers Reign [new] (3:01 am, Max)

In this surreal sci-fi animated series from creators Joseph Bennett and
Charles Huettner, the remaining crew of a damaged interstellar freighter
ship find themselves stranded on a beautiful, yet unforgiving alien
planet where they must survive long enough to escape or be rescued. As
the survivors struggle to locate their downed ship and missing
crewmates, their new home reveals a hostile world allowed to thrive
without human interference. 12 half-hour episodes; three are released
weekly for four weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQH8cMpWTU

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21056886/

Candy Cruz [new] (3:01 am, Max)

Candy Cruz has a natural gift for cooking, thanks to which she will live
one of the most unforgettable experiences of her life by participating
in a TV contest that will bring her fame. Mexican series.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29277419/

Teenage Kiss: The Future Is Dead [Sierra Madre: Prohibido Pasar]
[new] (3:01 am, Max)

What happens in the elite communities of one of the most emblematic
cities in Mexico: Monterrey, Nuevo León. Through the perspective of the
Parras, a family of lineage and lineage, it will be shown that not
everything is as it seems, while they do everything possible to maintain
the appearances of their own "paradise" of life. Mexican series.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<ugftqa$bfd3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205860&group=rec.arts.tv#205860

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 05:37:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 05:37 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>FBoy Island (season 3 premiere) (8 and 9 pm, two
>episodes, CW)

>The former Max series moves to the CW for its third season. Regular time
>is 8 pm only.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeS1u-jC5A

I'm willing to watch the episode in which everyone is arrested for
violations of the Mann Act and human trafficking.

>Binged to Death (movie) (9 pm, MTV)

>After learning their favorite reality show couples have broken up, an
>obsessive single woman (Loni Love) and her best friend (Carl Anthony
>Payne II) kidnap the contestants and force them into a series of
>torturous games, all with the hopes of rekindling their favorite TV
>romances. Also stars Quincy Brown, Loren Lott, Jessica Lord, Andre
>Anthony, Dan Ginnane and Nico Tortorella.

>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29381712/

Needs Richard Dawson

>Peter & the Wolf (movie) (3:01 am, Max)

>Follows a grieving 12-year-old Peter, who is now in the care of his
>grandfather after enduring the loss of a parent. Upon hearing stories of
>a wolf on the loose, Peter decides to explore the vast meadow and forest
>nearby to try and find the wolf himself. Along the way he encounters
>creatures who help him on his quest while contending with hunters aiming
>to win a prize for capturing the wolf. English-language German-UK film.

>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29277717/

Where wolf?

>Wolf Like Me (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Peacock)

>In the second season of Wolf Like Me, Mary (Isla Fisher) and Gary (Josh
>Gad) leap into the next phase of their relationship, facing their
>biggest challenge yet: pregnancy. As much as the two try to have a
>“normal” pregnancy, it seems impossible with so many questions looming
>over them. Will their child be a human or a wolf? Just how long can they
>keep things secret from the rest of their family? Will what happened in
>the outback come back to haunt them? And, with Mary’s former professor,
>Anton (Edgar Ramirez), suddenly in the picture, can their relationship
>withstand newly unearthed secrets from Mary's past?

>Edgar Ramirez joins the cast for season 2. All seven half-hour episodes
>stream today.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zauOAVsKfLI

>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14452228/ [rating 7.3]

There wolf

Valk this vay

>The Challenge: USA (season 2 finale) (10 pm, CBS)

To find something interesting to watch on CBS

>Checkin' It Twice (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

>A journeyman hockey player falls for a real estate agent in a career
>crisis when he's traded to her hometown and moves into the cottage in
>her hockey loving family’s backyard. Stars Kim Matula and Kevin McGarry.

Hey Ian. It's a variation on Plot 23!

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<ugg2um$cbo2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205868&group=rec.arts.tv#205868

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:04:54 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 07:04 UTC

On 10/14/23 10:37 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The Challenge: USA (season 2 finale) (10 pm, CBS)
>
> To find something interesting to watch on CBS

FTR, this had a real cutie on it, but she got bounced around ep. #10 or so.

Then I was rooting for the fierce, pretty cute redhead (who had partly
ruined herself with nasty tattoos), but I think she just got bounced.

So I guess I'm out!

>> Checkin' It Twice (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
>> A journeyman hockey player falls for a real estate agent in a career
>> crisis when he's traded to her hometown and moves into the cottage in
>> her hockey loving family’s backyard. Stars Kim Matula and Kevin McGarry.
>
> Hey Ian. It's a variation on Plot 23!

I do like Kim Matula...

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<1114003198.719050778.982290.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205877&group=rec.arts.tv#205877

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 01:42:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:42 UTC

Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Monday, Oct. 16
>

> Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01
> am, Disney+)

I have seen the side-by-side with the original, and the restoration looks
like absolute pig shit.

> The former Max series moves to the CW for its third season. Regular time
> is 8 pm only.

Great. So I finally get Max and they move the show to the C dub, which must
die.

> The Daily Show (returns from hiatus) (11 pm, Comedy Central)
>
> The series will continue to rotate guest hosts until a new permanent
> host begins sometime in early 2024.

Or, here’s an idea, they could just shitcan it

> Tuesday, Oct. 17
>

> Streaming:
>

> The Devil on Trial (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Using reenactments and home videos, this dark documentary investigates
> the apparent possession of a young boy--and the brutal murder that
> followed. British film; 1h 21m.

I’m going to be so glad to be rid of the Netflix

> I Woke Up a Vampire [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
> Netflix)
>
> Carmie Henley wakes up on her 13th birthday to discover she suddenly has
> supernatural powers! With help from her best friend, Kev, she discovers
> she's a Vampling: half human and half vampire. Half-hour episodes.

So could this be any more of a total rip off of my incredibly hot teenage
babysitter is a soulless bloodsucking demon vampire?

> Broadcast and cable:

> Wednesday, Oct. 18
>

> Streaming:
>

> Living for the Dead [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
> Hulu)
>
> From the creators of “Queer Eye,” five fabulous, queer ghost hunters
> roam the country, helping the living by healing the dead. Our gay ‘Ghost
> Hunties’ explore infamous haunted locations while pushing past
> boundaries with both the living and the deceased. Eight episodes.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15RhMymDxo

Oh, this, so needs an atomic bomb to go off in the middle of it

> Scariest Monsters in the World ("documentary") (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> Join us as we embark on this international countdown of the scariest
> monsters in the world--who will be on your list as the most creepy?

Well, if I don’t go, political, I’d say Clodreamer

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> American Horror Story (season 12 fall finale) (10 pm, FX)

Still spelling, the middle word in the title wrong

> Thursday, Oct. 19
>

> Streaming:
>

> Crypto Boy (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Superdog!

> Broadcast and cable:

> Friday, Oct. 20
>

> Streaming:
>

> Upload (season 3 premiere) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> After a near fatal accident, app developer Nathan (Robbie Amell) is
> uploaded into a virtual afterlife called Lakeside by his girlfriend in
> this sci-fi comedy created and written by Greg Daniels. Eight half-hour
> episodes; two episodes stream today and on each of the following three
> Fridays.

That’s on my watchlist although nobody told me it was a comedy which makes
it less appealing.

> Werewolf by Night in Color (special) (3:01 am, Hulu and
> Disney+)
>
> A colorized version of the 2022 black-and-white Disney+ special. 52 minutes.

Well, that will make it worse

> Night of the Hunted (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)

Nobody gets Shudder!

> Broadcast and cable:
>

> (end)

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<s7enii52ut4obkda11jel0gv9q3dseap04@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205886&group=rec.arts.tv#205886

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 06:12:46 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:12 UTC

On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 01:42:02 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>

>> Monday, Oct. 16
>>

>> Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01
>> am, Disney+)
>
>I have seen the side-by-side with the original, and the restoration looks
>like absolute pig shit.

How could that be? They had no one rushing them to get this out (or
they shouldn't have) and they had to know one of the first things
people would do is compare the original and the restoration so they
should have been doing their best work. Even if the people doing the
actual work were idiots it shouldn't have passed any sort of quality
checks by the higher ups and you know they had to check this one out.
It's too big a name for Disney to not have upper management check it
out.

>> The former Max series moves to the CW for its third season. Regular time
>> is 8 pm only.
>
>Great. So I finally get Max and they move the show to the C dub, which must
>die.

It will never die as it's sole purpose in live is to torment you.

>> The Daily Show (returns from hiatus) (11 pm, Comedy Central)
>>
>> The series will continue to rotate guest hosts until a new permanent
>> host begins sometime in early 2024.
>
>Or, here’s an idea, they could just shitcan it

It's not the same without Jon Stewart.

>*****************************************************************************************
>>

>> Tuesday, Oct. 17
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> The Devil on Trial (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>
>> Using reenactments and home videos, this dark documentary investigates
>> the apparent possession of a young boy--and the brutal murder that
>> followed. British film; 1h 21m.
>
>I’m going to be so glad to be rid of the Netflix
>

>> I Woke Up a Vampire [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
>> Netflix)
>>
>> Carmie Henley wakes up on her 13th birthday to discover she suddenly has
>> supernatural powers! With help from her best friend, Kev, she discovers
>> she's a Vampling: half human and half vampire. Half-hour episodes.
>>

>So could this be any more of a total rip off of my incredibly hot teenage
>babysitter is a soulless bloodsucking demon vampire?

If only this show were going to be as good.

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>*****************************************************************************************
>>

>> Wednesday, Oct. 18
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Living for the Dead [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
>> Hulu)
>>
>> From the creators of “Queer Eye,” five fabulous, queer ghost hunters
>> roam the country, helping the living by healing the dead. Our gay ‘Ghost
>> Hunties’ explore infamous haunted locations while pushing past
>> boundaries with both the living and the deceased. Eight episodes.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15RhMymDxo
>
>Oh, this, so needs an atomic bomb to go off in the middle of it

Yeah, this sounds like a concept that they came up with while high and
they couldn't admit to that after getting the ball rolling.

>> Scariest Monsters in the World ("documentary") (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>
>> Join us as we embark on this international countdown of the scariest
>> monsters in the world--who will be on your list as the most creepy?
>>

>Well, if I don’t go, political, I’d say Clodreamer

Poor Jimmy Carter will be so disappointed.

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> American Horror Story (season 12 fall finale) (10 pm, FX)
>>

>Still spelling, the middle word in the title wrong

American Hoar Horror Story just doesn't sound the same.
\>

>*****************************************************************************************
>>

>> Thursday, Oct. 19
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Crypto Boy (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
>Superdog!
>

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>*****************************************************************************************
>>

>> Friday, Oct. 20
>>

>> Streaming:
>>

>> Upload (season 3 premiere) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>>
>> After a near fatal accident, app developer Nathan (Robbie Amell) is
>> uploaded into a virtual afterlife called Lakeside by his girlfriend in
>> this sci-fi comedy created and written by Greg Daniels. Eight half-hour
>> episodes; two episodes stream today and on each of the following three
>> Fridays.
>
>That’s on my watchlist although nobody told me it was a comedy which makes
>it less appealing.

It is a comedy.. Don't say no one told you.
I even discussed the first few episodes last year when I finally got
around to start watching the show but it fell into the black hole that
is my backlog. It was okay but not good enough to hold my attention.

>> Werewolf by Night in Color (special) (3:01 am, Hulu and
>> Disney+)
>>
>> A colorized version of the 2022 black-and-white Disney+ special. 52 minutes.
>>

>Well, that will make it worse

Yeah, this isn't something that anyone was demanding. I guess it's a
way to try and fill in the Marvel black hole of shows that they've
entered since revamping all the shows, but then why have LOKI underway
and this coming out at the same time?

>> Night of the Hunted (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>

>Nobody gets Shudder!
>

>> Broadcast and cable:
>>

>> (end)

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<ugh289$j0dj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205908&group=rec.arts.tv#205908

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:59:04 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:59 UTC

On 10/14/23 10:03 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

>         Monday, Oct. 16
>

> Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs       (4K restoration)          (3:01
> am, Disney+)

Anim already dinged this, but I will just point out again that this
exactly the sort of thing that explicitly *doesn't* need a "4k"
remaster, because of how it was made/how it looked in the first place.

Now a "color remaster" is another issue...

> The American Buffalo      (documentary miniseries)       (8-10 pm, PBS)
>
> Ken Burns' four-hour documentary tracing the history of the North
> American buffalo concludes tomorrow at the same time.

I'm sure this'll be depressing!!

Hopefully, he can at least find something positive to end on...

> The Daily Show       (returns from hiatus)       (11 pm, Comedy Central)
>
> The series will continue to rotate guest hosts until a new permanent
> host begins sometime in early 2024.

Well, Reddit says they already lost the best (only good?) candidate, so
rest assured they're going to choose somebody shitty again!!

>         Tuesday, Oct. 17
>

>     Streaming:
>

> I Woke Up a Vampire         [new; complete season 1]          (3:01 am,
> Netflix)
>
> Carmie Henley wakes up on her 13th birthday to discover she suddenly has
> supernatural powers! With help from her best friend, Kev, she discovers
> she's a Vampling: half human and half vampire. Half-hour episodes.

OK, so this is Canadian.

But it's from Netflix, so it will almost certainly be crap. It also
doesn't inspire confidence that there is virtually *no* "name" in the
entire cast (Rainbow Sun Francks is as "high-profile" as it gets).

OMG - is the lead's middle name seriously "Angelic"?!! Her parents are
monsters.

Oh, and thank gawd there's not one Anglo in the entire cast! *In Canada*!!

At what point does this become unmistakable "reverse racism"?!...

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> Binged to Death      (movie)       (9 pm, MTV)
>
> After learning their favorite reality show couples have broken up, an
> obsessive single woman (Loni Love) and her best friend (Carl Anthony
> Payne II) kidnap the contestants and force them into a series of
> torturous games, all with the hopes of rekindling their favorite TV
> romances. Also stars Quincy Brown,  Loren Lott, Jessica Lord, Andre
> Anthony, Dan Ginnane and Nico Tortorella.

Who's giving odds that this is actually "good"?...

>         Thursday, Oct. 19
>

>     Streaming:
>

> Neon        [new; complete season 1]          (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> This comedy centers on a young reggaeton artist who moves from small
> town Florida to Miami in the hopes of making it big. All eight episodes
> stream today. Eight episodes.

OK, why does this need to be a series?...

> The Burning Girls        [new]          (3:01 am, Paramount+)
>
> The Burning Girls is a brand new psychological thriller series starring
> Samantha Morton and Ruby Stokes, who play a Vicar and her daughter. Both
> arrive in a new village in hope of a fresh start but soon find the
> strange community has terrible secrets in this six-episode adaptation of
> the novel by C.J. Tudor. UK only?

Again - why does this need to be a series?

> Peter & the Wolf      (movie)        (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Follows a grieving 12-year-old Peter, who is now in the care of his
> grandfather after enduring the loss of a parent. Upon hearing stories of
> a wolf on the loose, Peter decides to explore the vast meadow and forest
> nearby to try and find the wolf himself. Along the way he encounters
> creatures who help him on his quest while contending with hunters aiming
> to win a prize for capturing the wolf. English-language German-UK film.

IMDb says this is an "animated short", though they don't list a runtime.

> Surprise 2     (movie)      (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> Lauren and Anthony hire a new midwife after their last one mysteriously
> disappears, but things may not be as they appear. Stars Will Coleman and
> NuNu Thurman.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28760895/
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26545301/     ["Surprise," 2023 Tubi Original]

Meh.
(And that seems incredibly fast to churn out a sequel!!)

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> Handyman from Hell    (movie)     (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Maggie Anderson has just separated from her husband and, as a way to
> cope, is finally overhauling the beautiful converted church that she had
> bought with so much promise just a few years ago. When she meets the
> sexy, skilled Nate, she feels like she’s met the man who is going to fix
> up her kitchen…and maybe even her heart. What she doesn’t realize is
> that Nate is mysteriously connected to her family and is entering her
> home and her life with murder on his mind. Liliana Tandon, Joey Ariemma,
> Kristina Horan, Steve Hofstetter, and Jodie Sweetin star.

[sigh...] And the fact that Sweetin is in this is a bad sign... But I
guess I'll watch.

> The Challenge: USA       (season 2 finale)         (10 pm, CBS)

As they always do in these dumb (scripted!) reality series, they've
already voted out all the cute babes... So...

NO!!

>         Friday, Oct. 20
>

>     Streaming:
>

> The Pigeon Tunnel        (documentary)           (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> Errol Morris directs a profile of the life and career of former British
> spy David Cornwell—who later became better known as a spy novelist who
> wrote under the pen name John le Carré. The film, which spans six
> decades and is based on le Carré's own best-selling memoir of the same
> name, includes the final interview given by the author prior to his
> death in 2020. 1h 32m.

I wouldn't mind seeing a scripted biopic on the subject.

> Bosch: Legacy         (season 2 premiere)         (12:01 am, Amazon
> Freevee)
>
> Bosch: Legacy follows Harry Bosch [Titus Welliver], a retired homicide
> detective turned private investigator...

Bosch, and its spinoff, is something else that's relatively high on my
"Get to watching" list, that I never find the time to actually get to... :(

> Disco Inferno       (horror short)         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> A young couple conjures a dark presence that hungers for their unborn
> baby as they prepare to burn up the dance floor at LA's hottest disco.
> 15 minutes. This is not the 2015 horror short by the same name.

Great title. But it sounds like no one has managed to come up with
something worthy of the title.

> Doona!          [new; complete season 1]          (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> A college student navigates life and school while dealing with a unique
> predicament--he's living with a beautiful former K-pop sensation. Korean
> series.

Oh, what the actual F***, Netflix!?!

They might as well just phase out their English-language programming and
turn everything over to "K-TV" at this point...

> Flashback          (horror short)          (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> A yoga teacher's life flashes before her eyes during a deadly home
> invasion, sending her on a desperate race through her past to save the
> man she loves. 16 minutes.

And starring no one you've ever heard of... Meh.

> Old Dads          (movie)         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Three best friends become fathers later in life and find themselves
> battling preschool principals, millennial CEOs and anything created
> after 1987. Comedian Bill Burr makes his feature directorial debut with
> a comedy in which he also stars alongside Bobby Cannavale, Katie
> Aselton, and Bokeem Woodbine. 1 h 44 m.

Decent cast. But it better be "pee your pants" funny with this premise!

> Werewolf by Night in Color       (special)        (3:01 am, Hulu and
> Disney+)
>
> A colorized version of the 2022 black-and-white Disney+ special. 52
> minutes.

I've still never gotten to the B&W version!!

> If You Were the Last        (movie)        (3:01 am, Peacock)
>
> Well-reviewed out of its SXSW premiere in the spring, the feature
> directorial debut from Kristian Mercado is a sci-fi rom-com starring
> Anthony Mackie and Zoë Chao as Adam and Jane, two astronauts stranded on
> a derelict spaceship. Not knowing if they'll ever be rescued, they must
> decide if their friendship should become physical, and, possibly,
> something more. 1h 29m.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<ugh7qr$ke3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205916&group=rec.arts.tv#205916

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:34:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:34 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 10/14/23 10:03 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

>>         Monday, Oct. 16
>>Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01 am, Disney+)

>Anim already dinged this, but I will just point out again that this
>exactly the sort of thing that explicitly *doesn't* need a "4k"
>remaster, because of how it was made/how it looked in the first place.

>Now a "color remaster" is another issue...

Film granularity in an original print is still denser than 4K. What
people need to see is a freshly struck print projected in theater.

>>Flashback (horror short) (3:01 am, Netflix)

>>A yoga teacher's life flashes before her eyes during a deadly home
>>invasion, sending her on a desperate race through her past to save the
>>man she loves. 16 minutes.

>And starring no one you've ever heard of... Meh.

I think you should be flexible, Ian.

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<ugh97h$kl3q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205917&group=rec.arts.tv#205917

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:58:08 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:58 UTC

On 10/15/23 10:34 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 10/14/23 10:03 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>
>>>         Monday, Oct. 16
>>>
>>> Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01 am, Disney+)
>>
>> Anim already dinged this, but I will just point out again that this
>> exactly the sort of thing that explicitly *doesn't* need a "4k"
>> remaster, because of how it was made/how it looked in the first place.
>>
>> Now a "color remaster" is another issue...
>
> Film granularity in an original print is still denser than 4K. What
> people need to see is a freshly struck print projected in theater.

Not if the actual animation/drawing isn't to that level of detail. And I
don't believe it is.

This definitely looks to be a case where a "4k upgrade" will get you
close to nothing.

>>> Flashback (horror short) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>>
>>> A yoga teacher's life flashes before her eyes during a deadly home
>>> invasion, sending her on a desperate race through her past to save the
>>> man she loves. 16 minutes.
>>
>> And starring no one you've ever heard of... Meh.
>
> I think you should be flexible, Ian.

I'm a yoga hater!

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<1289314240.719085211.947740.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205918&group=rec.arts.tv#205918

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:01:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:01 UTC

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 01:42:02 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>

>>> Monday, Oct. 16
>>>

>>> Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01
>>> am, Disney+)
>>
>> I have seen the side-by-side with the original, and the restoration looks
>> like absolute pig shit.
>>

> How could that be? They had no one rushing them to get this out (or
> they shouldn't have) and they had to know one of the first things
> people would do is compare the original and the restoration so they
> should have been doing their best work. Even if the people doing the
> actual work were idiots it shouldn't have passed any sort of quality
> checks by the higher ups and you know they had to check this one out.
> It's too big a name for Disney to not have upper management check it
> out.

The head of Disney restoration is a complete idiot. She hates film grain.
She admits it and laughs about it and says it looks like video noise to
her.

We’ve been complaining about the terrible job they do as far back as
sleeping beauty, which is probably 15 years. They pulled out all the green
and made it all look like flat video tape.

They use these horrible filters on it that kills all the delicate detail
work that they do in slightly lighter and darker colors like folds in the
dresses.

And most Disney people hate the old stuff anyway.

>>> The former Max series moves to the CW for its third season. Regular time
>>> is 8 pm only.
>>
>> Great. So I finally get Max and they move the show to the C dub, which must
>> die.
>
> It will never die as it's sole purpose in live is to torment you.

Whimper

>>> The Daily Show (returns from hiatus) (11 pm, Comedy Central)
>>>
>>> The series will continue to rotate guest hosts until a new permanent
>>> host begins sometime in early 2024.
>>
>> Or, here’s an idea, they could just shitcan it
>>

> It's not the same without Jon Stewart.
>
>> *****************************************************************************************
>>>

>>> Tuesday, Oct. 17
>>>

>>> Streaming:
>>>

>>> The Devil on Trial (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>>
>>> Using reenactments and home videos, this dark documentary investigates
>>> the apparent possession of a young boy--and the brutal murder that
>>> followed. British film; 1h 21m.
>>
>> I’m going to be so glad to be rid of the Netflix
>>

>>> I Woke Up a Vampire [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am,
>>> Netflix)
>>>
>>> Carmie Henley wakes up on her 13th birthday to discover she suddenly has
>>> supernatural powers! With help from her best friend, Kev, she discovers
>>> she's a Vampling: half human and half vampire. Half-hour episodes.
>>>

>> So could this be any more of a total rip off of my incredibly hot teenage
>> babysitter is a soulless bloodsucking demon vampire?
>>

> If only this show were going to be as good.

Not a chance

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>> *****************************************************************************************
>>>

>>> Wednesday, Oct. 18
>>>

>>> Streaming:
>>>

>>> Living for the Dead [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
>>> Hulu)
>>>
>>> From the creators of “Queer Eye,” five fabulous, queer ghost hunters
>>> roam the country, helping the living by healing the dead. Our gay ‘Ghost
>>> Hunties’ explore infamous haunted locations while pushing past
>>> boundaries with both the living and the deceased. Eight episodes.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15RhMymDxo
>>
>> Oh, this, so needs an atomic bomb to go off in the middle of it
>
> Yeah, this sounds like a concept that they came up with while high and
> they couldn't admit to that after getting the ball rolling.

Sounds like you like it a lot more than I do! I want to

>>> Scariest Monsters in the World ("documentary") (3:01 am, Tubi)
>>>
>>> Join us as we embark on this international countdown of the scariest
>>> monsters in the world--who will be on your list as the most creepy?
>>>

>> Well, if I don’t go, political, I’d say Clodreamer
>

> Poor Jimmy Carter will be so disappointed.

He just got away with murdering an iron chef. He should take his wins where
he can.

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> American Horror Story (season 12 fall finale) (10 pm, FX)
>>>

>> Still spelling, the middle word in the title wrong
>
> American Hoar Horror Story just doesn't sound the same.
> \>

Lol

>> *****************************************************************************************
>>>

>>> Thursday, Oct. 19
>>>

>>> Streaming:
>>>

>>> Crypto Boy (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>
>> Superdog!
>>

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>> *****************************************************************************************
>>>

>>> Friday, Oct. 20
>>>

>>> Streaming:
>>>

>>> Upload (season 3 premiere) (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>>>
>>> After a near fatal accident, app developer Nathan (Robbie Amell) is
>>> uploaded into a virtual afterlife called Lakeside by his girlfriend in
>>> this sci-fi comedy created and written by Greg Daniels. Eight half-hour
>>> episodes; two episodes stream today and on each of the following three
>>> Fridays.
>>
>> That’s on my watchlist although nobody told me it was a comedy which makes
>> it less appealing.
>
> It is a comedy.. Don't say no one told you.
> I even discussed the first few episodes last year when I finally got
> around to start watching the show but it fell into the black hole that
> is my backlog. It was okay but not good enough to hold my attention.
>

>>> Werewolf by Night in Color (special) (3:01 am, Hulu and
>>> Disney+)
>>>
>>> A colorized version of the 2022 black-and-white Disney+ special. 52 minutes.
>>>

>> Well, that will make it worse
>

> Yeah, this isn't something that anyone was demanding. I guess it's a
> way to try and fill in the Marvel black hole of shows that they've
> entered since revamping all the shows, but then why have LOKI underway
> and this coming out at the same time?

Loki may have come out late because they de personEd Kang who was the
villain for the season. And werewolf may have been scheduled for Halloween.

>>> Night of the Hunted (movie) (3:01 am, Shudder)
>>>

>> Nobody gets Shudder!
>>

>>> Broadcast and cable:
>>>

>>> (end)

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<ughagm$l3pt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205919&group=rec.arts.tv#205919

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:20:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:20 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 10/15/23 10:34 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>Anim already dinged this, but I will just point out again that this
>>>exactly the sort of thing that explicitly *doesn't* need a "4k"
>>>remaster, because of how it was made/how it looked in the first place.

>>>Now a "color remaster" is another issue...

>>Film granularity in an original print is still denser than 4K. What
>>people need to see is a freshly struck print projected in theater.

>Not if the actual animation/drawing isn't to that level of detail. And I
>don't believe it is.

>This definitely looks to be a case where a "4k upgrade" will get you
>close to nothing.

The original animation cells would be denser than film. Digitization
doesn't start with cells, re-photograph them digitally using Disney's
amazing depth-of-field cameras with a digital plate replacing the film
plate, and then go from there.

I don't know enough about this. I don't think they digitize the negative
but a print, but I could be wrong.

In any event, hm, because color movie film in the late '30s was so slow
and worked within a limited range of brightness, film had denser grain
than faster film developed later. I'm explaining it poorly, but film is
always a compromise between density and how it reacts to light.

There's more information there than you think.

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<1394433450.719088631.274072.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205920&group=rec.arts.tv#205920

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:53:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:53 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Film granularity in an original print is still denser than 4K. What
>>> people need to see is a freshly struck print projected in theater.
>
>> Not if the actual animation/drawing isn't to that level of detail. And I
>> don't believe it is.
>
>> This definitely looks to be a case where a "4k upgrade" will get you
>> close to nothing.
>
> The original animation cells

Cels

would be denser than film. Digitization
> doesn't start with cells,

Cels

re-photograph them digitally using Disney's
> amazing depth-of-field cameras with a digital plate replacing the film
> plate, and then go from there.

They cut the art up to sell for souvenirs in Disneyland years ago

> I don't know enough about this. I don't think they digitize the negative
> but a print, but I could be wrong.

Depends on the project and the shape the materials are in. The hatchet job
they did on 20,000 leagues under the sea used both.

> In any event, hm, because color movie film in the late '30s was so slow
> and worked within a limited range of brightness, film had denser grain
> than faster film developed later. I'm explaining it poorly, but film is
> always a compromise between density and how it reacts to light.
>
> There's more information there than you think.

But because they’re incompetent fools that hate film grain, they kill all
that detail in the process

Re: Selected programming for Oct. 16-20, 2023

<atropos-97876B.22361715102023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205952&group=rec.arts.tv#205952

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 22:36:17 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 05:36 UTC

In article <kp1a5iF2v34U3@mid.individual.net>,
Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Monday, Oct. 16
>
> Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (4K restoration) (3:01 am, Disney+)

By 'restored' do they mean Disney colored Snow Yt's skin brown?

> Navajo Police: Class 57 (documentary miniseries) (9 and 10
> pm, two episodes, HBO)
>
> Three-hour documentary that follows a group of recruits as they fight
> their way through the Navajo Police Training Academy. Concludes tomorrow
> at 9 pm.

I wonder if they'll be taught to stop yt police legitimately driving on
public roads, detain them, and threaten to impound their state police
vehicle, the way these tribal police did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnc2hgSPZOE

> American Horror Story (season 12 fall finale) (10 pm, FX)

Jeez, this just started and it's already over?