Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PPB: We Like March / Emily Dickinson - our reply
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 22:04 UTC

Since a certain homeless nothing decided to piss on our reply, here it is in a standalone post. For extra value, we are including the Emily Dickinson poem:

We Like March
by Emily Dickinson

"We like March — his shoes are Purple.
He is new and high —
Makes he Mud for Dog and Peddler —
Makes he Forests Dry —
Knows the Adder's Tongue his coming
And begets her spot —
Stands the Sun so close and mighty —
That our Minds are hot.
News is he of all the others —
Bold it were to die
With the Blue Birds buccaneering
On his British sky —"

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 6:31:05 PM UTC, George J. Dance wrote:
> > George J. Dance wrote:
> >>
> >> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> >> We like March, by Emily Dickinson
> >
> >> We like March — his shoes are Purple.
> >> He is new and high —
> >> Makes he Mud for Dog and Peddler —
> >> Makes he Forests Dry —
> >> [...]
> >> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/03/we-like-march-emily-dickinson.html
> >
> >> #pennyspoe4ms
> >

> I was lucky to find this poem. I've already used 18 poems by her, and
> thery're getting harder to find. There are a lot more Dickinson poems,
> of course, but not that many online that fit a particular month or season..

Why were you lucky to find the poem? It is all over the Internet. Search for March poems.

> I think this is one of her earlier ones, because most of the copies I've

According to on-line sources, there are two versions of the poem. The first was written around 1872 and has "presents" instead of "begets." The version that you are using was written around 1878 (or revised around then). According to Google Books, it was "Sent to SD (variant) c. 1871 and perhaps to MLT (last stanza) c. 1883, signed “March.” “SD” must be Emily Dickinson sister-in-law Susan Huntington Dickinson. “MLT” is Emily’s friend Mabel Loomis Todd.

(https://www.google.com/books/edition/Emily_Dickinson_s_Poems/cDS6CwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22We+Like+March%22&pg=PA554&printsec=frontcover)

> found online have no dashes (meaning they appeared in print before 1955,
> when the definitive /Collected Poems/ came out). But I went searching
> and was lucky to find this version.

Emily Dickinson used all sorts of dashes and punctuation. How were you lucky (again)? This is the version that is all over the Internet (our comment also above). Luck had nothing to do with it.

Re: PPB: We Like March / Emily Dickinson - our reply

<1ce6a0f4-dd11-4413-a7fd-0f18517a21f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206214&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206214

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PPB: We Like March / Emily Dickinson - our reply
From: rivermut...@gmail.com (ME)
 by: ME - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 23:15 UTC

On Friday, 24 March 2023 at 18:04:03 UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> Since a certain homeless nothing decided to piss on our reply, here it is in a standalone post. For extra value, we are including the Emily Dickinson poem:
>
> We Like March
> by Emily Dickinson
>
> "We like March — his shoes are Purple.
> He is new and high —
> Makes he Mud for Dog and Peddler —
> Makes he Forests Dry —
> Knows the Adder's Tongue his coming
> And begets her spot —
> Stands the Sun so close and mighty —
> That our Minds are hot.
> News is he of all the others —
> Bold it were to die
> With the Blue Birds buccaneering
> On his British sky —"

> > I was lucky to find this poem. I've already used 18 poems by her, and
> > thery're getting harder to find. There are a lot more Dickinson poems,
> > of course, but not that many online that fit a particular month or season.
>
> Why were you lucky to find the poem? It is all over the Internet. Search for March poems.
> >
> > I think this is one of her earlier ones, because most of the copies I've
>
> According to on-line sources, there are two versions of the poem. The first was written around 1872 and has "presents" instead of "begets." The version that you are using was written around 1878 (or revised around then). According to Google Books, it was "Sent to SD (variant) c. 1871 and perhaps to MLT (last stanza) c. 1883, signed “March.” “SD” must be Emily Dickinson sister-in-law Susan Huntington Dickinson. “MLT” is Emily’s friend Mabel Loomis Todd.
>
> (https://www.google.com/books/edition/Emily_Dickinson_s_Poems/cDS6CwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22We+Like+March%22&pg=PA554&printsec=frontcover)
>
> > found online have no dashes (meaning they appeared in print before 1955,
> > when the definitive /Collected Poems/ came out). But I went searching
> > and was lucky to find this version.
>
> Emily Dickinson used all sorts of dashes and punctuation. How were you lucky (again)? This is the version that is all over the Internet (our comment also above). Luck had nothing to do with it.

Re: PPB: We Like March / Emily Dickinson - our reply

<7b0981c0-acdb-40f5-bddb-708328111db2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206217&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206217

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 23:51 UTC

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 6:04:03 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> Since a certain homeless nothing decided to piss on our reply, here it is in a standalone post. For extra value, we are including the Emily Dickinson poem:

That's our Stink for you -- always urinating in public.

> We Like March
> by Emily Dickinson
>
> "We like March — his shoes are Purple.
> He is new and high —
> Makes he Mud for Dog and Peddler —
> Makes he Forests Dry —
> Knows the Adder's Tongue his coming
> And begets her spot —
> Stands the Sun so close and mighty —
> That our Minds are hot.
> News is he of all the others —
> Bold it were to die
> With the Blue Birds buccaneering
> On his British sky —"

> > I was lucky to find this poem. I've already used 18 poems by her, and
> > thery're getting harder to find. There are a lot more Dickinson poems,
> > of course, but not that many online that fit a particular month or season.
>
> Why were you lucky to find the poem? It is all over the Internet. Search for March poems.

One doesn't have to look very far to find an Emily Dickinson poem. Project Gutenberg appears to have her complete works: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/12242/12242-h/12242-h.htm

For some bizarre reason, Team Donkey likes to pretend that googling any well-known poem is a "find."

> > I think this is one of her earlier ones, because most of the copies I've
>
> According to on-line sources, there are two versions of the poem. The first was written around 1872 and has "presents" instead of "begets." The version that you are using was written around 1878 (or revised around then). According to Google Books, it was "Sent to SD (variant) c. 1871 and perhaps to MLT (last stanza) c. 1883, signed “March.” “SD” must be Emily Dickinson sister-in-law Susan Huntington Dickinson. “MLT” is Emily’s friend Mabel Loomis Todd.
>
> (https://www.google.com/books/edition/Emily_Dickinson_s_Poems/cDS6CwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22We+Like+March%22&pg=PA554&printsec=frontcover)

ED wrote her first poem in 1862, so she'd been writing for 10 when this poem was penned. I wouldn't call that "one of her earlier ones," as it's almost at the mid-point of her career (she died in 1886).

> > found online have no dashes (meaning they appeared in print before 1955,
> > when the definitive /Collected Poems/ came out). But I went searching
> > and was lucky to find this version.
>
> Emily Dickinson used all sorts of dashes and punctuation. How were you lucky (again)? This is the version that is all over the Internet (our comment also above). Luck had nothing to do with it.

I have no idea what GD is referring to (one is tempted to say "yammering about") in the above. EB has been dead for 137 years, and is one of the best-known poets who ever lived. Her work is easy to find, and is in public domain.

Re: PPB: We Like March / Emily Dickinson - our reply

<64ae6a3c-4841-4e84-aad7-f2f1a86f30e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206285&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206285

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 04:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:58 UTC

On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 11:51:16 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 6:04:03 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> > Since a certain homeless nothing decided to piss on our reply, here it is in a standalone post. For extra value, we are including the Emily Dickinson poem:
> That's our Stink for you -- always urinating in public.
> > We Like March
> > by Emily Dickinson
> >
> > "We like March — his shoes are Purple.
> > He is new and high —
> > Makes he Mud for Dog and Peddler —
> > Makes he Forests Dry —
> > Knows the Adder's Tongue his coming
> > And begets her spot —
> > Stands the Sun so close and mighty —
> > That our Minds are hot.
> > News is he of all the others —
> > Bold it were to die
> > With the Blue Birds buccaneering

> > > I was lucky to find this poem. I've already used 18 poems by her, and
> > > thery're getting harder to find. There are a lot more Dickinson poems,
> > > of course, but not that many online that fit a particular month or season.
> >
> > Why were you lucky to find the poem? It is all over the Internet. Search for March poems.
> One doesn't have to look very far to find an Emily Dickinson poem. Project Gutenberg appears to have her complete works: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/12242/12242-h/12242-h.htm

If one Googles for a March poem, two of hers pop up. Not mystery there and now luck involved.

> For some bizarre reason, Team Donkey likes to pretend that googling any well-known poem is a "find."
They pat each other on the back and jump up and down. Free poems! Free poems! Free poems!

> > > I think this is one of her earlier ones, because most of the copies I've
> >
> > According to on-line sources, there are two versions of the poem. The first was written around 1872 and has "presents" instead of "begets." The version that you are using was written around 1878 (or revised around then). According to Google Books, it was "Sent to SD (variant) c. 1871 and perhaps to MLT (last stanza) c. 1883, signed “March.” “SD” must be Emily Dickinson sister-in-law Susan Huntington Dickinson. “MLT” is Emily’s friend Mabel Loomis Todd.
> >
> > (https://www.google.com/books/edition/Emily_Dickinson_s_Poems/cDS6CwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22We+Like+March%22&pg=PA554&printsec=frontcover)
> ED wrote her first poem in 1862, so she'd been writing for 10 when this poem was penned. I wouldn't call that "one of her earlier ones," as it's almost at the mid-point of her career (she died in 1886).

Yes, what George Dance wrote didn't make any sense. It was easy to find the background of her poem, which George Dance didn't seem to be able to find. Maybe Google isn't his friend?

> > > found online have no dashes (meaning they appeared in print before 1955,
> > > when the definitive /Collected Poems/ came out). But I went searching
> > > and was lucky to find this version.
> >
> > Emily Dickinson used all sorts of dashes and punctuation. How were you lucky (again)? This is the version that is all over the Internet (our comment also above). Luck had nothing to do with it.
> >
> I have no idea what GD is referring to (one is tempted to say "yammering about") in the above. EB has been dead for 137 years, and is one of the best-known poets who ever lived. Her work is easy to find, and is in public domain.

George Dance thinks that anything he finds to put (for free) on his blarrgggg is wonderful. The Mary Slade poem, which George Sulzbach and Will Donkey both pissed on in order to drown our replies, was not very good. Church stuff, elementary, and certainly not an incantation. Mrs. Slade would think that comment heathen.