Never commit yourself! Let someone else commit you.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Beautiful Day (draft)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Beautiful Day (draft)Zod
`* Re: Beautiful Day (draft)Will Dockery
 `- Re: Beautiful Day (draft)General-Zod

1
Re: Beautiful Day (draft)

<c2e45705-26ba-434f-a395-eeac23d5f85cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205533&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#205533

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Beautiful Day (draft)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 7:33:33 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > 3 - "a" to "its". "a warmth" is simply bad grammar.
> >
> > 5 - "that even far seems" to "Even far can seem". For the meter.
> >
> > 6 - "their brightest" to "in bright". For the meter
> > "." to ";" I wanted this to read like one long sentence; but I needed something stronger than a comma for the ends of the stanzas.
> >
> > 7 - "And the birds gaily" to "squirrels frolic". For sense the birds don't "dance" in trees, they just sit there; while the squirrels run around in them, which could be metaphorically described as dancing.
> >

> > 8 "in the trees swayed" to "as the trees sway". "Swayed in trance" sounded awkward. to me.
> >
> > 9 "breeze of Celsius 22" to "fresh breeze of C22". For the meter. In addition, I did not like the word "Celsius". I'm not all that fond of "C22", but it is an improvement (and 22 is a clever rhyme, on Cat's part).
> >
> > 10-12 - My own writing, trying to keep the spirit of the original. I wanted to get "birds" back in, doing their thing - singing, not dancing! - and the idea of summer nature-music made me think of a "grasshopper" which, fortunately scanned. Fortunately, too, Cat hadn't used "too" as an end-rhyme.. LL7-11 are now part of a conceit: the squirrels and trees are dancing to the song of the birds and grasshopper.
> >
> > 13 (Cat's 10) - "And" to "While". I didn't want to begin a stanza with "And". "While is more general, to my mind (it seems to refer to all the activity in the stanza")
> >
> > 14 (11) "the gnats that flee" to "As the gnats flee". For the meter. It may be less clear, in the revision, that the dragonflies are chasing the gnats; but I hope it's clear enough.
> >
> > 15 (12) "While" to "And". Swapped with L13
> > "drinks the" to "sips his". I'd consider "sips" a more active verb, and "his" to fit the what I saw as personification.
> >
> > 16 (13) "And the clouds in" to "All the earth and the". This is part of the conclusion; it's not just the clouds, but everything contributing to the effect. it also eliminates one "And"
> >
> > 17 (14) "paint a picture" to "Play a film". For the meter. In addition, "paint a picture" is very cliched; plus, pictures are static, whereas this scene being filed into memory is active, more like a film.
> >
> > 18 (15) "reminding days such as this" "to remember such days". For the meter. As well, I wanted to bring out the idea of the day being stored in one's memory for later enjoyment.
> > "are" to "all". "all too few" sounded like a better closure.
> oh, i got all excited, i thought you wrote a new poem.
>
> and i was like, oh, i liked your last one SO MUCH BETTER. and so much. :-((((
>
> well, you didn't write this one.
>
> that explains that. :-)
>
> (no offense barbara's cat. :-((( )
>
> i mean, it's okay, but it's so.....tame.
>
> i mean, it's just like sitting outside on your front porch.

Hi there Rachel... you are missed...!!

Re: Beautiful Day (draft)

<c6b04568-e438-4fba-9dce-cde742d9fac5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=205895&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#205895

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:30 UTC

I'll second that.

Re: Beautiful Day (draft)

<e18816b74f03d1033800d3d81f5bd72c@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206598&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#206598

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:59:00 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:59 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 3:59:25 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:

I wonder if there is a reference to Lou Reed's famous song of the same name...?

"Perfect Day"....?