Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 13:48:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: An Inconvenient Ruth
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 20:48 UTC

Ginsburg’s nomination to the prize for the 2018 ceremony was complex. Reportedly, Netanyahu first opposed her getting it, due to her condemnatory statements on Donald Trump ahead of his election. So then, actress Natalie Portman was selected for the main prize. In order to smooth away the drama, the committee ‘tailored’ a secondary prize for Ginsburg, not involving money. The committee claim, to cover the earlier misstep, was that Ginsburg couldn’t accept a monetary prize, but that was false. Anyhow, in March 2018, Israel was massacring scores of Palestinian Gazan protesters at the perimeter fence, and that made Portman feel “very uncomfortable” with the inevitable split screen of her getting the prize from a state that was turkey-shooting unarmed protesters who were protesting their incarceration in an uninhabitable concentration camp. Portman was reserved in her snubbing of the prize: her expressed reasoning was that she did not want to appear as if “supporting Netanyahu”.

Ginsburg gave a 12-minute speech at the Genesis Prize ceremony, and did not say a word about Palestine or Palestinians.

Ginsburg made these statements in July 2018, just a couple of months after Israel’s Supreme Court fully supported the sniping of unarmed protesters with live fire in the mentioned Gaza protests. Israel’s Supreme Court, with all its occasional aberrations, is a notorious blue-stamp machinery that has basically endorsed all of Israel’s central occupation violations, and has even ruled against the International Court of Justice which deemed the “security barrier” (aka Annexation Wall or Apartheid Wall) illegal by international law in 2004, since the vast majority of its path ran through occupied territory (the ICJ ruling reemphasized the settlements as being contrary to international law).

Surely, Ginsburg must have realized that her acceptance of the Genesis Prize is not occurring in a vacuum, and that this is a highly political, and highly politicized, prize.

As limited as Portman’s reasoning was, it was far more impressive than Ginsburg’s whitewashing of Israeli crimes.

https://mondoweiss.net/2020/09/accepting-israeli-prize-in-2018-rbg-never-mentioned-palestinians/

Re: An Inconvenient Ruth

<58d6e7a1-1d76-44bf-8386-bcb8771ae1e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206612&group=rec.arts.tv#206612

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:16:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: An Inconvenient Ruth
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 22:16 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:48:55 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> Ginsburg’s nomination to the prize for the 2018 ceremony was complex. Reportedly, Netanyahu first opposed her getting it, due to her condemnatory statements on Donald Trump ahead of his election. So then, actress Natalie Portman was selected for the main prize. In order to smooth away the drama, the committee ‘tailored’ a secondary prize for Ginsburg, not involving money. The committee claim, to cover the earlier misstep, was that Ginsburg couldn’t accept a monetary prize, but that was false. Anyhow, in March 2018, Israel was massacring scores of Palestinian Gazan protesters at the perimeter fence, and that made Portman feel “very uncomfortable” with the inevitable split screen of her getting the prize from a state that was turkey-shooting unarmed protesters who were protesting their incarceration in an uninhabitable concentration camp. Portman was reserved in her snubbing of the prize: her expressed reasoning was that she did not want to appear as if “supporting Netanyahu”.
>
> Ginsburg gave a 12-minute speech at the Genesis Prize ceremony, and did not say a word about Palestine or Palestinians.
>

> Ginsburg made these statements in July 2018, just a couple of months after Israel’s Supreme Court fully supported the sniping of unarmed protesters with live fire in the mentioned Gaza protests. Israel’s Supreme Court, with all its occasional aberrations, is a notorious blue-stamp machinery that has basically endorsed all of Israel’s central occupation violations, and has even ruled against the International Court of Justice which deemed the “security barrier” (aka Annexation Wall or Apartheid Wall) illegal by international law in 2004, since the vast majority of its path ran through occupied territory (the ICJ ruling reemphasized the settlements as being contrary to international law).
>
> Surely, Ginsburg must have realized that her acceptance of the Genesis Prize is not occurring in a vacuum, and that this is a highly political, and highly politicized, prize.
>
> As limited as Portman’s reasoning was, it was far more impressive than Ginsburg’s whitewashing of Israeli crimes.
>

> https://mondoweiss.net/2020/09/accepting-israeli-prize-in-2018-rbg-never-mentioned-palestinians/

ou812