Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools. -- George Chapman

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)BTR1701
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)shawn
|| |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)BTR1701
|| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|| |  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)suzeeq
|| |   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)BTR1701
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)A Friend
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)shawn
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh3idj$2h64d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206575&group=rec.arts.tv#206575

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:25:23 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:25 UTC

I went "all in" on TV and movie viewing on Saturday, as I figured I
should probably try to get some work done on Sunday... So, for example,
I finished out "The Continental"...:

soaps: Thur's ep's.
DOOL - Mostly stale. Gabi and Stefan continue to scheme - this time
against Kristen, to try to get her DiMera shares: this scheme involves
the devil-spawn daughter Rachel and Brady. Together Leo and Dmitri cuff
Kayla to the hospital bed (hasn't this happened to Kayla before?! I know
it happened to... Tripp(?) before), and escape from the hospital.
(Hopefully, these two are getting written out - I especially won't miss
Dmitri!).
GH - Honestly, this ep didn't get my full-attention. Valentin tells
Laura his fears about Charlotte's culpability, and together they figure
out that the late Victor put Charlotte up to terrorizing Anna. Portia
blows up at Jordan for not being warned about Cyrus Renault's release
from prison, and Jordan hadn't been warned either! Trina points out the
obvious to dumb Spencer - that Esme wants to "build a home" together
with him - and that it needs to stop, and then asks Spencer what he
wants to do with the rest of his life, and Spencer... doesn't have an
answer!! (Ah, trust-fund babies!) Finally, Alexis and Gregory
"interview" the judge who sent Drew away, and seem to trap him in a lie.

The Continental (Peacock) - I finished out the last two episodes of this.
The last episode, was by far the best - it was the most like an
actual "John Wick" movie! - as Winston and crew "storm" the Continental
to finally take out the EVOL!!1! Cormac O'Connor (Mel Gibson).
All that said, I had problems with this, esp. on the "character
level". This biggest problem I had was the motivation of Winston - so he
goes into this trying to "save" his brother, and then continues on to
get revenge for his brother, but then at the end... suddenly, this was
all about Winston taking over the Continental?! What?! *Why*?!! At what
point did that become Winston's motivation? And why?!
It really felt like they needed a fourth episode/"film" in the
middle to explain this.
Also, it felt like Charon's motivations needed a workover as well -
for example, Charon justifies turning on Cormac for killing the cellist,
but wouldn't Cormac's explicitly threatening Charon's father have been a
much bigger motivation?!...
Anyway, as an "action" set of flicks, it pays off in "episode #3",
but was maybe too light on this in the earlier installments... But it
pretty seriously fell down for me on the "character" (motivation) end,
including Kady the cop's too obvious "twist" motivation here.
Finally, I was disappointed with what they did with Katie McGrath's
Adjudicator character.
I hope they do more of these, but in an "anthology" format - for
example, I would like to see a new flick or a set of flicks showing us
the background on Laurence Fishburne's "The Bowery King" character.

Friday the 13th (Max) - This was the 2009 "reboot", which I had never
seen before. But I figured I should get to this while Parts I-IX were
still fresh in my mind.
This was interesting - I expected this to be a full "reboot", but
instead it is mostly a straight-up direct "sequel", that even includes
newly filmed-version of what happened at the end of the first "Friday
the 13th" movie (with Nana Vistor standing in as Mrs. Voorhies!!)...
Indeed, it's a weird mismatch of "sequel" and "homage", as a bunch of
scenes in this film are either replays of or callbacks to various scenes
in Parts I-IV. (Which, according to Wiki, was deliberate.)
Amusingly, this probably has as much nudity as any Friday the 13th
flick since "Part IV" (remember: "We filmed a porno in the woods back
there!" is the quote about "Part IV"!). On this score, America Olivo has
obviously had a boob job, and I find Willa Ford to be a yawn. But
Julianna Guill was absolutely spectacular 15-years ago - this alone
might be worth the price of admission!
Beyond that, this stars (15-years ago versions!) Jared Padalecki,
Danielle Panabaker, Amanda Righetti, and Travis Van Winkle, with others
like Guill, Ford, Aaron Yoo, Ryan Hansen, Jonathan Sadowski, and Ben
Feldman popping up. (Richard Burgi plays the local sheriff.)
As a "Friday the 13th" movie, it's pretty hit-or-miss. It's gorier
than the original flicks (which I liked), but maybe not gorier enough.
But they make other odd choices, like not having Jason kill a main
character (basically, simply to give Padalecki's character some added
motivation). They also playe "bait & switch" with who the "final girl"
is, which rather infuriated me. And, overall, it didn't feel like it had
much... "urgency" in the direction.
Also, they kind of (pointlessly) fiddle with the original films'
timeline - for example, it's pretty well established that the original
"Friday the 13th" actually takes place in 1979, but this film's opening
dates it to 1980 (for no good reason). That also seem to "deage" Jason -
who should be over well over 50 by 2009, but who in this one's revised
version to the 1980 film's ending, seems to "deage" Jason to roughly
13-14 in 1980, which would make him just 42-43 in 2009. And they
pointlessly "reintroduce" the hockey mask, despite the fact that Jason
already had the mask by "Part III", and despite that this film seems to
pretty clearly follow what happened in Parts I-IV (if not the later
Jason films).
Most annoyingly, the original film is set in New Jersey (and it was
even filmed there!). But this flick sports corn fields! - Do you know of
*any* corn fields in New Jersey!?! I sure don't!... It turns out this
film was (pointlessly) filmed in Austin, Texas - if you're going to the
trouble of rebooting this franchise, why wouldn't you go back to the New
Jersey area to film it?!
Finally, the final scene of this - while a callback to one of the
earlier films - was dumb and pointless, and should have been left out of
the movie.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<1216620682.719686676.121487.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206584&group=rec.arts.tv#206584

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:40:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:40 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> I went "all in" on TV and movie viewing on Saturday, as I figured I
> should probably try to get some work done on Sunday... So, for example,
> I finished out "The Continental"...:

I never even made it far enough in to see Katie McGrath. Having never seen
a John Wick film I had no idea what was going on. It was just people
running around fighting in the dark.

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

All kinds of stuff, as the DVR clearing continued. Down to 43% or something
now.

A couple season three LAWMAN episodes. S03E10 was finally one I’ve seen so
I may have gone all the way around and seen them all.

I erased my copy of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS from TCM without watching it
because I’ve seen it lots of times and have it on Blu-ray. Nobody seems to
have NIGHT witch I would have watched because Lara Parker.

I erased Don Knotts is THE LOVE GOD maybe 20 minutes in because I wasn’t
even smiling much less laughing.

I erased Sarah Michelle Gellar is SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE because I’ve seen it
a bunch of times, and everything needs to go.

I watched, a NCISOWM S01E08 because it introduced Jessica Steen as special
agent Elizabeth Weir.

I watched Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks spectacular 2023, the last of the
Fourth of July stuff I had recorded.

I sampled THE BLACK HAND with an incredibly young Gene Kelly, seeking
revenge, REVENGE! But it was kind of boring.

I erased YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

I watched Christopher Lee is THE DEVILS BRIDE a not particularly scary
Satanism film from 1968.

I still have never seen Jamie Lee Curtis is THE FOG and here was another
recording I’ll never watch.

THE WUMAN IN WHITE
TCM was running this as a Halloween film I guess because it was a Gothic
murder mystery. I watched because it had Sydney GreenStreet in it and I’ve
never heard of it.

It was interesting although ridiculously complicated and I had to read the
Wikipedia on the film and still not being sure what happened. I went back
and read the Wikipedia on the original novel and found out they had changed
things willy-nilly, which is probably why a bunch of stuff didn’t make
sense. Then they were seems like the one where Agnes Moorehead murders
GreenStreet by sticking a huge knife with a huge hilt through the back of a
big padded arm chair and into his big padded back and he stands up and
falls over dead with the knife sticking out of his back. What, did it go
all the way through the chair and come out the other side? he should’ve
been stuck to the chair like a butterfly to a display board.

I have never seen a young Alexis Smith before (she was gorgeous) or a young
gig Young (I only know the sort of old drunk guy) so that was interesting.
There was even a guy from Star Trek who is fairy really young, but looked
very very old.

If the Wikipedia summary is to be believed, the book is even more
ridiculously complicated and makes even less sense.

Over on the Firestick side, I watched stop at suggested like INVITATION TO
A MURDER, a rip off of Agatha Christie’s, and then there were none which
wasn’t very good, but was still incredibly better than 10 murder island,
and change stuff up enough to make it worse a watch, with Mischa Barton who
got old and portly. :-(

I turned on the YouTube to an ambient rain video that runs like 12 hours
and tried to go to sleep, but every few minutes it would interrupt with a
really loud ad like for a Microsoft car racing game. Then it would tell me
if I wanted it to stop that I should subscribe to YouTube premium, which is
some thing like 19 fucking dollars a month I think a better way to go would
be to throw the YouTube app in the trash.

I watched episodes, two and three of SPENSER SISTERS on The CW app because
Ian. They were pretty bad and even if they were watchable, which they
weren’t, the CW app is the worst app I have and I think I’m going to toss
it out as well.

Oh, yeah, comet TV had a Firefly marathon all day yesterday and they’ve
decided that the follow up movie, serenity, is a two-part episode of the
show and they show it as episodes 12 and 13 like nobody’s gonna notice the
wash, and the preacher are dead in the three episodes that follow!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<faqajihj3iau8ragc8lk22fshe2murk4u8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206593&group=rec.arts.tv#206593

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:33:10 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:33 UTC

On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:25:23 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>I went "all in" on TV and movie viewing on Saturday, as I figured I
>should probably try to get some work done on Sunday... So, for example,
>I finished out "The Continental"...:
>
>soaps: Thur's ep's.
> DOOL - Mostly stale. Gabi and Stefan continue to scheme - this time
>against Kristen, to try to get her DiMera shares: this scheme involves
>the devil-spawn daughter Rachel and Brady. Together Leo and Dmitri cuff
>Kayla to the hospital bed (hasn't this happened to Kayla before?! I know
>it happened to... Tripp(?) before), and escape from the hospital.
>(Hopefully, these two are getting written out - I especially won't miss
>Dmitri!).

>The Continental (Peacock) - I finished out the last two episodes of this.
> The last episode, was by far the best - it was the most like an
>actual "John Wick" movie! - as Winston and crew "storm" the Continental
>to finally take out the EVOL!!1! Cormac O'Connor (Mel Gibson).
> All that said, I had problems with this, esp. on the "character
>level". This biggest problem I had was the motivation of Winston - so he
>goes into this trying to "save" his brother, and then continues on to
>get revenge for his brother, but then at the end... suddenly, this was
>all about Winston taking over the Continental?! What?! *Why*?!! At what
>point did that become Winston's motivation? And why?!

I wouldn't so much say it was about taking over the Continental as
getting one over on Cormac. Cormac's only love was the Continental so
taking that from him was the way to hurt him. Though they went beyond
hurting the man.

> It really felt like they needed a fourth episode/"film" in the
>middle to explain this.
> Also, it felt like Charon's motivations needed a workover as well -
>for example, Charon justifies turning on Cormac for killing the cellist,
>but wouldn't Cormac's explicitly threatening Charon's father have been a
>much bigger motivation?!...

Except that Cormac was going to bring over Charon's father. Sure,
there's that threat there but I guess that's something that Cormac
does all the time so Charon should be used to that. So long as he's
not actually saying he's going to hurt Charon's father he can just
ignore it.

> Anyway, as an "action" set of flicks, it pays off in "episode #3",
>but was maybe too light on this in the earlier installments... But it
>pretty seriously fell down for me on the "character" (motivation) end,
>including Kady the cop's too obvious "twist" motivation here.

Yeah, I did feel like they kind of threw in Kady's motivation in a way
that didn't really work for me.

> Finally, I was disappointed with what they did with Katie McGrath's
>Adjudicator character.

They had to do something with her as Winston clearly broke all the
rules.

> I hope they do more of these, but in an "anthology" format - for
>example, I would like to see a new flick or a set of flicks showing us
>the background on Laurence Fishburne's "The Bowery King" character.
>

>What did you watch?

I watched the final two episodes of JACK RYAN Season 3 where in
everything comes together in such a convenient fashion, but then Jack
Bauer, I mean Jack Ryan always manages to do that.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh3r85$2j2ak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206598&group=rec.arts.tv#206598

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 11:56:05 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:56 UTC

On 10/22/23 11:33 AM, shawn wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:25:23 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I went "all in" on TV and movie viewing on Saturday, as I figured I
>> should probably try to get some work done on Sunday... So, for example,
>> I finished out "The Continental"...:
>>
>> The Continental (Peacock) - I finished out the last two episodes of this.
>> The last episode, was by far the best - it was the most like an
>> actual "John Wick" movie! - as Winston and crew "storm" the Continental
>> to finally take out the EVOL!!1! Cormac O'Connor (Mel Gibson).
>> All that said, I had problems with this, esp. on the "character
>> level". This biggest problem I had was the motivation of Winston - so he
>> goes into this trying to "save" his brother, and then continues on to
>> get revenge for his brother, but then at the end... suddenly, this was
>> all about Winston taking over the Continental?! What?! *Why*?!! At what
>> point did that become Winston's motivation? And why?!
>
> I wouldn't so much say it was about taking over the Continental as
> getting one over on Cormac. Cormac's only love was the Continental so
> taking that from him was the way to hurt him. Though they went beyond
> hurting the man.

Bottom line - The story was really, really weak in justifying how
Winston took over the Continental, as well as in establishing why he'd
even want to in the first place.

>> It really felt like they needed a fourth episode/"film" in the
>> middle to explain this.
>> Also, it felt like Charon's motivations needed a workover as well -
>> for example, Charon justifies turning on Cormac for killing the cellist,
>> but wouldn't Cormac's explicitly threatening Charon's father have been a
>> much bigger motivation?!...
>
> Except that Cormac was going to bring over Charon's father. Sure,
> there's that threat there but I guess that's something that Cormac
> does all the time so Charon should be used to that. So long as he's
> not actually saying he's going to hurt Charon's father he can just
> ignore it.

No - at the end of ep. #2, when Cormac says he's going to replace the
cellist with Winston's father, it's very explicitly a threat to Chrion
in regards to his father's well-being.

>> Anyway, as an "action" set of flicks, it pays off in "episode #3",
>> but was maybe too light on this in the earlier installments... But it
>> pretty seriously fell down for me on the "character" (motivation) end,
>> including Kady the cop's too obvious "twist" motivation here.
>
> Yeah, I did feel like they kind of threw in Kady's motivation in a way
> that didn't really work for me.

They basically didn't need that character. Or could have done a separate
flick about her quest for revenge. But it didn't add anything to the
main plotline, and ultimately mostly acted as a distractor.

>> Finally, I was disappointed with what they did with Katie McGrath's
>> Adjudicator character.
>
> They had to do something with her as Winston clearly broke all the
> rules.

But they threw away a potentially good character for the equivalent of a
cheap gag.

>> I hope they do more of these, but in an "anthology" format - for
>> example, I would like to see a new flick or a set of flicks showing us
>> the background on Laurence Fishburne's "The Bowery King" character.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh438c$2laiq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206607&group=rec.arts.tv#206607

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:12:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:12 UTC

On 10/22/2023 10:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> I went "all in" on TV and movie viewing on Saturday, as I figured I
>> should probably try to get some work done on Sunday... So, for example,
>> I finished out "The Continental"...:
>>

> I never even made it far enough in to see Katie McGrath. Having never seen
> a John Wick film I had no idea what was going on. It was just people
> running around fighting in the dark.

And you have just described the John Wick series of movies. :D

> I watched, a NCISOWM S01E08 because it introduced Jessica Steen as special
> agent Elizabeth Weir.

Uh, what?

> I turned on the YouTube to an ambient rain video that runs like 12 hours
> and tried to go to sleep, but every few minutes it would interrupt with a
> really loud ad like for a Microsoft car racing game. Then it would tell me
> if I wanted it to stop that I should subscribe to YouTube premium, which is
> some thing like 19 fucking dollars a month I think a better way to go would
> be to throw the YouTube app in the trash.

Or watch YouTube on a real computer with proper ad blocking software....

As for me I watched Kong Vs Godzilla. Or was it Gozilla Vs Kong?
Either way Hong Kong is trashed.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<221020231759575393%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206610&group=rec.arts.tv#206610

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:59:57 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:59 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> I have never seen a young Alexis Smith before (she was gorgeous) or a young
> gig Young (I only know the sort of old drunk guy) so that was interesting.
> There was even a guy from Star Trek who is fairy really young, but looked
> very very old.

That was John Abbott, who was in "Errand of Mercy." He played
Ayelborne, one of the super-powerful aliens who looked like old men.
Mr. Abbott made it all the way to 1996, when he died at 91.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<atropos-CC56E5.15150922102023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206611&group=rec.arts.tv#206611

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:15:09 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 22:15 UTC

On 10/22/2023 10:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> > I turned on the YouTube to an ambient rain video that runs like 12 hours
> > and tried to go to sleep, but every few minutes it would interrupt with a
> > really loud ad like for a Microsoft car racing game.

I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
anyway.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<5tbbji5vpe5s61fbai53bet6cpb865sp40@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206617&group=rec.arts.tv#206617

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:29:18 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:29 UTC

On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:15:09 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>On 10/22/2023 10:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> > I turned on the YouTube to an ambient rain video that runs like 12 hours
>> > and tried to go to sleep, but every few minutes it would interrupt with a
>> > really loud ad like for a Microsoft car racing game.
>
>I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
>the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
>with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
>disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
>I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
>if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
>to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
>anyway.

I use a fan to help keep me cool during the night and to block out the
noise. I gave up on Youtube ads long ago so I run ublock Origin that
blocks the Youtube ads. I could even watch one of their free movies
uniterrupted if I so desired. In the beginning their ads weren't so
disruptive but now you have pre-roll and mid-roll ads so that just
like with TV much of the viewing time can be take up by ads.

Of course Youtube is now putting up ad blocker detection so who knows
how long my ad blocker will work. As long as it does I'm going to
continue to use it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<BTednTJAtKBFLKj4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206618&group=rec.arts.tv#206618

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:35:52 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:35 UTC

On Oct 22, 2023 at 4:29:18 PM PDT, "shawn" <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:

>> I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
>> the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
>> with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
>> disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
>> I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
>> if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
>> to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
>> anyway.
>
> I use a fan to help keep me cool during the night and to block out the
> noise. I gave up on Youtube ads long ago so I run ublock Origin that
> blocks the Youtube ads. I could even watch one of their free movies
> uniterrupted if I so desired. In the beginning their ads weren't so
> disruptive but now you have pre-roll and mid-roll ads so that just
> like with TV much of the viewing time can be take up by ads.
>
> Of course Youtube is now putting up ad blocker detection so who knows
> how long my ad blocker will work. As long as it does I'm going to
> continue to use it.

Almost all of my YouTube viewing is on my big TV, through the Apple TV app. I
have no idea if it's even possible to install ad blockers on Apple TV, let
alone how to do it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh4bo7$2n727$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206619&group=rec.arts.tv#206619

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:37:43 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:37 UTC

On 10/22/23 4:29 PM, shawn wrote:

>> I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
>> the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
>> with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
>> disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
>> I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
>> if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
>> to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
>> anyway.
>
> I use a fan to help keep me cool during the night and to block out the
> noise. I gave up on Youtube ads long ago so I run ublock Origin that
> blocks the Youtube ads.

I've never looked into ad-blockers, because honestly I've been lazy, but
I probably should look into them.

What is ublock? - Is it an add-on or extension you run in your web
browser? Or does this somehow work with the YouTube app?...

> I could even watch one of their free movies
> uniterrupted if I so desired. In the beginning their ads weren't so
> disruptive but now you have pre-roll and mid-roll ads so that just
> like with TV much of the viewing time can be take up by ads.
>
> Of course Youtube is now putting up ad blocker detection so who knows
> how long my ad blocker will work. As long as it does I'm going to
> continue to use it.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh4cem$2n8la$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206622&group=rec.arts.tv#206622

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:49:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:49 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>On 10/22/2023 10:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

>>>I turned on the YouTube to an ambient rain video that runs like 12 hours
>>>and tried to go to sleep, but every few minutes it would interrupt with a
>>>really loud ad like for a Microsoft car racing game.

>I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
>the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
>with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
>disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
>I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
>if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
>to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
>anyway.

If I'm up in the middle of the night, I walk the dog. If I desperately
need to fall asleep but can't, I get out some big thick technical manual
or a standard regulatory manual and read that till it puts me to sleep.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh4d1h$2n8la$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206624&group=rec.arts.tv#206624

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:59:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 23:59 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>What is ublock? - Is it an add-on or extension you run in your web
>browser? Or does this somehow work with the YouTube app?...

uBlock Origin is a blocker. It blocks more than just ads, but the only
blocker I've ever used that gets rid of YouTube ads. I wouldn't care
about YouTube ads if they came at the beginning or the end, but YouTube
inserts them into whatever is being watched at random locations.

Out of the box, uBO blocks ads, trackers, coin miners, popups, etc.
through the following lists of filters, enabled by default:

- EasyList (ads)
- EasyPrivacy (tracking)
- Peter Lowe's Ad server list (ads and tracking)
- Online Malicious URL Blocklist
- uBO's own lists

It's a Firefox extention or works with Chrome or Chromium-based browsers.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<1551999287.719714804.992688.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206630&group=rec.arts.tv#206630

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:49:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:49 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2023 at 4:29:18 PM PDT, "shawn" <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:

>>> I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
>>> the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
>>> with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
>>> disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
>>> I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
>>> if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
>>> to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
>>> anyway.
>>
>> I use a fan to help keep me cool during the night and to block out the
>> noise. I gave up on Youtube ads long ago so I run ublock Origin that
>> blocks the Youtube ads. I could even watch one of their free movies
>> uniterrupted if I so desired. In the beginning their ads weren't so
>> disruptive but now you have pre-roll and mid-roll ads so that just
>> like with TV much of the viewing time can be take up by ads.
>>
>> Of course Youtube is now putting up ad blocker detection so who knows
>> how long my ad blocker will work. As long as it does I'm going to
>> continue to use it.
>
> Almost all of my YouTube viewing is on my big TV, through the Apple TV app. I
have no idea if it's even possible to install ad blockers on Apple TV, let
alone how to do it.

That’s where I am except the hardware is the firestick feeding the plasma.
I can’t imagine I have any options here except pay $19 a month which I’m
not about to do.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh4g1p$irgl$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206631&group=rec.arts.tv#206631

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:51:05 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:51 UTC

On 10/22/2023 4:59 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> . . .
>
>> What is ublock? - Is it an add-on or extension you run in your web
>> browser? Or does this somehow work with the YouTube app?...
>
> uBlock Origin is a blocker. It blocks more than just ads, but the only
> blocker I've ever used that gets rid of YouTube ads. I wouldn't care
> about YouTube ads if they came at the beginning or the end, but YouTube
> inserts them into whatever is being watched at random locations.

Depends on the length of the video. I watch many that are less than 10
minutes and the ads are only at the beginning. There's a countdown and
after 5 seconds, you can click on 'skip ads'.

> Out of the box, uBO blocks ads, trackers, coin miners, popups, etc.
> through the following lists of filters, enabled by default:
>
> - EasyList (ads)
> - EasyPrivacy (tracking)
> - Peter Lowe's Ad server list (ads and tracking)
> - Online Malicious URL Blocklist
> - uBO's own lists
>
> It's a Firefox extention or works with Chrome or Chromium-based browsers.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<atropos-0D4DF0.18594522102023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206638&group=rec.arts.tv#206638

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:59:45 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 01:59 UTC

In article <uh4cem$2n8la$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

> >I do the same, except I use a rain + distant thunder video that blacks
> >the screen so the bedroom isn't all lit up. I don't have the problem
> >with the commercials that you describe. I get all manner of unbelievably
> >disruptive commercials on other YouTube vids, but this nature sound one
> >I listen to never gets interrupted with an ad. It does stop and ask me
> >if I'm still listening after about nine hours and makes me click 'yes'
> >to continue, but by the time I get to that point, I'm ready to get up
> >anyway.
>
> If I'm up in the middle of the night, I walk the dog. If I desperately
> need to fall asleep but can't, I get out some big thick technical manual
> or a standard regulatory manual and read that till it puts me to sleep.

I don't use it because I can't sleep. I use it to block out noise from
outside my house. There's a strip with bars and restaurants on the next
block so we get a lot of vehicle and pedestrian noise.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<atropos-2B8F3A.19023522102023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206639&group=rec.arts.tv#206639

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:02:35 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:02 UTC

In article
<1551999287.719714804.992688.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 22, 2023 at 4:29:18 PM PDT, "shawn" <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
> wrote:

> >> I use a fan to help keep me cool during the night and to block out the
> >> noise. I gave up on Youtube ads long ago so I run ublock Origin that
> >> blocks the Youtube ads. I could even watch one of their free movies
> >> uniterrupted if I so desired. In the beginning their ads weren't so
> >> disruptive but now you have pre-roll and mid-roll ads so that just
> >> like with TV much of the viewing time can be take up by ads.
> >>
> >> Of course Youtube is now putting up ad blocker detection so who knows
> >> how long my ad blocker will work. As long as it does I'm going to
> >> continue to use it.
> >
> > Almost all of my YouTube viewing is on my big TV, through the YouTube
> > app on Apple TV. I have no idea if it's even possible to install ad
> > blockers on Apple TV, let alone how to do it.
> >
> That's where I am except the hardware is the firestick feeding the plasma.
> I can't imagine I have any options here except pay $19 a month which I'm
> not about to do.

$19/year would be stretching it. Monthly is just ridiculous.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<1115640147.719720498.520361.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206643&group=rec.arts.tv#206643

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:24:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:24 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1551999287.719714804.992688.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Almost all of my YouTube viewing is on my big TV, through the YouTube
>>> app on Apple TV. I have no idea if it's even possible to install ad
>>> blockers on Apple TV, let alone how to do it.
>>>
>> That's where I am except the hardware is the firestick feeding the plasma.
>> I can't imagine I have any options here except pay $19 a month which I'm
>> not about to do.
>
> $19/year would be stretching it. Monthly is just ridiculous.

Yeah, I had to read it like three times before I believed that it actually
said monthly.

And get this.

It’s like $16 for the mundane people. They charge extra if you have Apple
product.

And it’s $13 a month in metric countries.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-21 (Saturday)

<uh4m49$2sr8i$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206647&group=rec.arts.tv#206647

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:34:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:34 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 10/22/2023 4:59 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> . . .

>>>What is ublock? - Is it an add-on or extension you run in your web
>>>browser? Or does this somehow work with the YouTube app?...

>>uBlock Origin is a blocker. It blocks more than just ads, but the only
>>blocker I've ever used that gets rid of YouTube ads. I wouldn't care
>>about YouTube ads if they came at the beginning or the end, but YouTube
>>inserts them into whatever is being watched at random locations.

>Depends on the length of the video. I watch many that are less than 10
>minutes and the ads are only at the beginning. There's a countdown and
>after 5 seconds, you can click on 'skip ads'.

Your experience was better than mine. The ads were inserted at random. I
don't watch longer videos on YouTube. The ad blocker I was using didn't
affect YouTube ads. I learned that uBlock Origin did, so I uninstalled
the ad blocker and re-installed uBlock Origin. I had uninstalled it
because it was conflicting with that ad blocker.