"We came. We saw. We kicked its ass." -- Bill Murray, _Ghostbusters_

arts / rec.arts.tv / They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

SubjectAuthor
* They Hate Us For Our Freedomschromebook test
+* Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedomschromebook test
|`* Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedomschromebook test
| `- Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedomschromebook test
`- Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedomschromebook test

1
They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

<9fa86e3d-e2b6-4598-a356-53e0e43d6b75n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206688&group=rec.arts.tv#206688

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: They Hate Us For Our Freedoms
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:07 UTC

They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done. (Applause.)

On September the 11th, enemies of freedom committed an act of war against our country. Americans have known wars -- but for the past 136 years, they have been wars on foreign soil, except for one Sunday in 1941. Americans have known the casualties of war -- but not at the center of a great city on a peaceful morning. Americans have known surprise attacks -- but never before on thousands of civilians. All of this was brought upon us in a single day -- and night fell on a different world, a world where freedom itself is under attack.

Americans are asking, why do they hate us? They hate what we see right here in this chamber -- a democratically elected government. Their leaders are self-appointed. They hate our freedoms -- our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote and assemble and disagree with each other.

They want to overthrow existing governments in many Muslim countries, such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan. They want to drive Israel out of the Middle East. They want to drive Christians and Jews out of vast regions of Asia and Africa.

These terrorists kill not merely to end lives, but to disrupt and end a way of life. With every atrocity, they hope that America grows fearful, retreating from the world and forsaking our friends. They stand against us, because we stand in their way.

This is not, however, just America's fight. And what is at stake is not just America's freedom. This is the world's fight. This is civilization's fight. This is the fight of all who believe in progress and pluralism, tolerance and freedom.

Great harm has been done to us. We have suffered great loss. And in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment. Freedom and fear are at war. The advance of human freedom -- the great achievement of our time, and the great hope of every time -- now depends on us. Our nation -- this generation -- will lift a dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail. (Applause.)

I will not forget this wound to our country or those who inflicted it. I will not yield; I will not rest; I will not relent in waging this struggle for freedom and security for the American people.

The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them.

THE PRESIDENT
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
September 20, 2001
Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People
United States Capitol
Washington, D.C.
9:00 P.M. EDT

Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

<8e34d8ae-0bfe-4124-b2ab-38f8887b8932n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206689&group=rec.arts.tv#206689

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedoms
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:14 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 1:07:36 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> [...]
>

> I will not forget this wound to our country or those who inflicted it. I will not yield; I will not rest; I will not relent in waging this struggle for freedom and security for the American people.
>
> The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them.
>

> THE PRESIDENT
> For Immediate Release
> Office of the Press Secretary
> September 20, 2001
> Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People

Talking to the detainees was especially important because the commission was charged with explaining not only what happened, but also why it happened. In looking into the background of the hijackers, the staff found that religious orthodoxy was not a common denominator since some of the members "reportedly even consumed alcohol and abused drugs." Others engaged in casual sex. Instead, hatred of American foreign policy in the Middle East seemed to be the key factor. Speaking to the F.B.I. agents who investigated the attacks, Hamilton asked: "You've looked [at] and examined the lives of these people as closely as anybody. . . . What have you found out about why these men did what they did? What motivated them to do it?"

These questions fell to Supervisory Special Agent James Fitzgerald. "I believe they feel a sense of outrage against the United States," he said. "They identify with the Palestinian problem, they identify with people who oppose repressive regimes and I believe they tend to focus their anger on the United States." As if to reinforce the point, the commission discovered that the original plan for 9/11 envisioned an even larger attack. Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the strategist of the 9/11 plot, "was going to fly the final plane, land it and make 'a speech denouncing U.S. policies in the Middle East,"' Kean and Hamilton say, quoting a staff statement. And they continue: "Lee felt that there had to be an acknowledgment that a settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was vital to America's long-term relationship with the Islamic world, and that the presence of American forces in the Middle East was a major motivating factor in Al Qaeda's actions."

Given the Bush administration's current policies in the region, another 9/11-style attack is less a matter of if than when.

Intelligence Test
By James Bamford Aug. 20, 2006
WITHOUT PRECEDENT

The Inside Story of the 9/11 Commission.
By Thomas H. Kean and Lee H. Hamilton with Benjamin Rhodes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/books/review/intelligence-test.html

----------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoXrd3_3fYI

Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

<8de1653a-2095-4fb9-8c81-f5eef1e1c8a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206690&group=rec.arts.tv#206690

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:32 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 1:14:15 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> [...]
>
> Given the Bush administration's current policies in the region, another 9/11-style attack is less a matter of if than when.
>

> Intelligence Test
> By James Bamford Aug. 20, 2006

> WITHOUT PRECEDENT
> The Inside Story of the 9/11 Commission.
> By Thomas H. Kean and Lee H. Hamilton with Benjamin Rhodes.
https://annas-archive.org/md5/c866af9fd6b8dc6be0f61b8df43a19dc

We did, however, have some disagreement over foreign policy issues. Much of it revolved around the question of al Qaeda’s motivation. For instance, Lee felt that there had to be an acknowledgment that a settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was vital to America’s long-term relationship with the Islamic world, and that the presence of American forces in the Middle East was a major motivating factor in al Qaeda’s actions. Similarly, several commissioners pointed out that we had to acknowledge that the American presence in Iraq had become the dominant issue in the way the world’s Muslims viewed the United States.

This was sensitive ground. Commissioners who argued that al Qaeda was motivated primarily by a religious ideology—and not by opposition to American policies—rejected mentioning the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the report. In their view, listing U.S. support for Israel as a root cause of al Qaeda’s opposition to the United States indicated that the United States should reassess that policy. To Lee, though, it was not a question of altering support for Israel but of merely stating a fact that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was central to the relations between the Islamic world and the United States—and to Bin Ladin’s ideology and the support he gained throughout the Islamic world for his jihad against America.

Since neither U.S. policy in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict nor U.S. policy in Iraq was covered in our mandate, we were not required to discuss the issues at length. Had that been the case, reaching consensus would have been difficult. We ended up agreeing on language that acknowledged the importance of the two issues, without passing judgment:

America’s policy choices have consequences. Right or wrong, it is simply a fact that American policy regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and American actions in Iraq are dominant staples of popular commentary across the Arab and Muslim world. That does not mean U.S. choices have been wrong. It means those choices must be integrated with America’s message of opportunity to the Arab and Muslim world. Neither Israel nor the new Iraq will be safer if worldwide Islamic terrorism grows stronger.

Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

<9a45846e-d715-41c8-b250-9817655dc6cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206697&group=rec.arts.tv#206697

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:04 UTC

> [...]
>

> I will not forget this wound to our country or those who inflicted it. I will not yield; I will not rest; I will not relent in waging this struggle for freedom and security for the American people.
>
> The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them.
>

> THE PRESIDENT
> For Immediate Release
> Office of the Press Secretary
> September 20, 2001
> Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People

VAN SUSTEREN: Are you an anti-Semite?

TRAFICANT: No, I'm not. And that's exactly what they're going to say. And I expect that.

What I am is an American. You see, I think America comes first. And we have a one-sided foreign policy in the Mideast, and we've alienated Arabs who have no way of fighting.

So, what they've done -- and I predicted this on the House floor -- is they would export violence to America. And they have. They have no other way to fight.

I think President Obama knows this. I think he sees this. I think he wants to do something. I think his hands are tied, and I think he's dancing between the raindrops, trying to figure how I can politically machinate some scenario to mitigate these problems.

Greta, I'm saying this. America is in danger if America doesn't take back their government without foreign influence, interference.

Traficant - 'I Was a Target. ... I Must Have Been Doing Something Right'
By Fox News September 11, 2009
https://www.foxnews.com/story/exclusive-traficant-i-was-a-target-i-must-have-been-doing-something-right

Re: They Hate Us For Our Freedoms

<4e2a5519-d721-414e-b550-ce6fd3efd8adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206931&group=rec.arts.tv#206931

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:40 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 1:32:07 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> [...]
>
> Since neither U.S. policy in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict nor U.S. policy in Iraq was covered in our mandate, we were not required to discuss the issues at length. Had that been the case, reaching consensus would have been difficult. We ended up agreeing on language that acknowledged the importance of the two issues, without passing judgment:
>
> America’s policy choices have consequences. Right or wrong, it is simply a fact that American policy regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and American actions in Iraq are dominant staples of popular commentary across the Arab and Muslim world. That does not mean U.S. choices have been wrong. It means those choices must be integrated with America’s message of opportunity to the Arab and Muslim world. Neither Israel nor the new Iraq will be safer if worldwide Islamic terrorism grows stronger.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Wednesday spoke out against retaliatory attacks by Israeli settlers against Palestinians in the West Bank in the aftermath of the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel. He also said he was redoubling his commitment to working on a two-state solution to end the decades-long Israel-Palestinian conflict.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-west-bank-settlers-israel-hamas-war-0a2f38878720c962a20d9286315cde94