"Our reruns are better than theirs." -- Nick at Nite

arts / rec.arts.tv / if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

SubjectAuthor
* if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Supermandanny burstein
`* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend
 `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
  `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The AdventuresUbiquitous
   +* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Supermandanny burstein
   |+- Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend
   |+* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend
   ||+* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanAdam H. Kerman
   |||`* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanBTR1701
   ||| `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
   |||  `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend
   |||   `- Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
   ||`- Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Supermansuper70s
   |`* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
   | +* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures ofDimensional Traveler
   | |`* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
   | | `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend
   | |  `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
   | |   `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend
   | |    `- Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanAdam H. Kerman
   | `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Supermanshawn
   |  `- Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
   `* Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventuresanim8rfsk
    `- Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of SupermanA Friend

1
if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<Pine.NEB.4.64.2310260332420.24389@panix1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206990&group=rec.arts.tv#206990

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 03:37:32 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 03:37 UTC

[NYC's Tabloid of Record]

Customer freed [a] after being locked inside Midtown jewelry vault nearly
10 hours overnight

A customer spent nearly 10 hours locked inside a giant vault in
Manhattan's Diamond District before it suddenly sprung open early
Wednesday, allowing him to walk out unscathed.

The customer, an unidentified 23-year-old man, was accessing his lock box
inside the room-sized steel vault Tuesday night when a timed mechanism
suddenly locked him in, officials said.

Police were called around 8:45 p.m. to help try to free him from the DGA
Securities' vault inside 580 Fifth Avenue, a large commercial space
known as the World Diamond Tower that is home to numerous jewelry
businesses
[after wasting ten hours...]

Then "the vault opened on its own - it's on a timing mechanism -
and he was just released from the vault," Sarrocco said.
=====
rest:
https://nypost.com/2023/10/25/metro/customer-freed-from-inside-midtown-jewelry-store-vault/

When faced with a vaguely similar situation, Superman (the real
one and only!) simply had the US Navy speed up the time
signals on their Radio Master Clock...

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TheAdventuresOfSupermanS6E4TheMysteriousCube

[a] "freed" without any "help" from the responders...
dannyb@panix.com

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<261020230753108259%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207034&group=rec.arts.tv#207034

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:53:10 -0400
 by: A Friend - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:53 UTC

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2310260332420.24389@panix1.panix.com>, danny
burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> [NYC's Tabloid of Record]
>
> Customer freed [a] after being locked inside Midtown jewelry vault nearly
> 10 hours overnight
>
> A customer spent nearly 10 hours locked inside a giant vault in
> Manhattan's Diamond District before it suddenly sprung open early
> Wednesday, allowing him to walk out unscathed.
>
> The customer, an unidentified 23-year-old man, was accessing his lock box
> inside the room-sized steel vault Tuesday night when a timed mechanism
> suddenly locked him in, officials said.
>
> Police were called around 8:45 p.m. to help try to free him from the DGA
> Securities' vault inside 580 Fifth Avenue, a large commercial space
> known as the World Diamond Tower that is home to numerous jewelry
> businesses
> [after wasting ten hours...]
>
> Then "the vault opened on its own - it's on a timing mechanism -
> and he was just released from the vault," Sarrocco said.
> =====
> rest:
>
> https://nypost.com/2023/10/25/metro/customer-freed-from-inside-midtown-jewelry-
> store-vault/
>
> When faced with a vaguely similar situation, Superman (the real
> one and only!) simply had the US Navy speed up the time
> signals on their Radio Master Clock...
>

> https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TheAdventuresOfSupermanS6E4TheMys
> teriousCube
>
> [a] "freed" without any "help" from the responders...

Even when I was a kid, I wondered why the guy didn't sit in the
Mysterious Cube for an extra day just to be sure.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<1900018145.720022861.811653.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207039&group=rec.arts.tv#207039

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:37:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:37 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2310260332420.24389@panix1.panix.com>, danny
> burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> [NYC's Tabloid of Record]
>>
>> Customer freed [a] after being locked inside Midtown jewelry vault nearly
>> 10 hours overnight
>>
>> A customer spent nearly 10 hours locked inside a giant vault in
>> Manhattan's Diamond District before it suddenly sprung open early
>> Wednesday, allowing him to walk out unscathed.
>>
>> The customer, an unidentified 23-year-old man, was accessing his lock box
>> inside the room-sized steel vault Tuesday night when a timed mechanism
>> suddenly locked him in, officials said.
>>
>> Police were called around 8:45 p.m. to help try to free him from the DGA
>> Securities' vault inside 580 Fifth Avenue, a large commercial space
>> known as the World Diamond Tower that is home to numerous jewelry
>> businesses
>> [after wasting ten hours...]
>>
>> Then "the vault opened on its own - it's on a timing mechanism -
>> and he was just released from the vault," Sarrocco said.
>> =====
>> rest:
>>
>> https://nypost.com/2023/10/25/metro/customer-freed-from-inside-midtown-jewelry-
>> store-vault/
>>
>> When faced with a vaguely similar situation, Superman (the real
>> one and only!) simply had the US Navy speed up the time
>> signals on their Radio Master Clock...
>>

>> https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TheAdventuresOfSupermanS6E4TheMys
>> teriousCube
>>
>> [a] "freed" without any "help" from the responders...
>

> Even when I was a kid, I wondered why the guy didn't sit in the
> Mysterious Cube for an extra day just to be sure.

Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207068&group=rec.arts.tv#207068

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:53:23 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:53 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
>> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>>> When faced with a vaguely similar situation, Superman (the real
>>> one and only!) simply had the US Navy speed up the time
>>> signals on their Radio Master Clock...
>>>
>>> https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TheAdventuresOfSupermanS6E4TheMysteriousCube
>>
>> Even when I was a kid, I wondered why the guy didn't sit in the
>> Mysterious Cube for an extra day just to be sure.
>
>Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
>deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.

I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<uhef5j$ljm$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207081&group=rec.arts.tv#207081

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:37:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:37 UTC

In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:

[snip]

>>> Even when I was a kid, I wondered why the guy didn't sit in the
>>> Mysterious Cube for an extra day just to be sure.
>>
>>Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
>>deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.

>I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.

So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
this, yes, this, worries you?

Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?

dannyb@panix.com

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<261020231551414531%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207083&group=rec.arts.tv#207083

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:51:41 -0400
 by: A Friend - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:51 UTC

In article <uhef5j$ljm$1@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:
>
> [snip]

> >>Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
> >>deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.
>
> >I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.
>
> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
> this, yes, this, worries you?
>
> Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
> in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
> they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?

I still don't know what stopped Superman from lifting the cube and
super-spinning it on his forefinger. (Besides budget problems, I
mean.)

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<81191171.720042164.650789.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207086&group=rec.arts.tv#207086

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:51:43 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:51 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> Even when I was a kid, I wondered why the guy didn't sit in the
>>> Mysterious Cube for an extra day just to be sure.
>>
>> Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
>> deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.
>
> I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.

He had all sorts of provisions, food, water, ways to make light and air. I
don’t think you could do it, though without some sort of exhaust pipe.
There were also problems though like what if something happened to his
brother on the outside that he got all his information from? Also, I bet
that if superman went to the court, and said the guy was hiding in there,
they’d take his word for it, and not declare him dead, or innocent, or
whatever was supposed to happen when the time limit expired.

This thing was huge, and mysteriously appeared in his backyard. I think
superman should’ve gone to the zoning commission and gotten it declared
illegal for the neighborhood.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<261020231559423365%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207089&group=rec.arts.tv#207089

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:59:42 -0400
 by: A Friend - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:59 UTC

<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
> this, yes, this, worries you?

Don't forget the thinning hair and the middle-age spread. I love
George Reeves, but the 1951 model was in much better shape than the
1956 one.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<261020231617265360%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207093&group=rec.arts.tv#207093

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:17:26 -0400
 by: A Friend - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:17 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> > anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

> >> Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
> >> deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.
> >
> > I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.
> >

> He had all sorts of provisions, food, water, ways to make light and air. I
> don¹t think you could do it, though without some sort of exhaust pipe.
> There were also problems though like what if something happened to his
> brother on the outside that he got all his information from? Also, I bet
> that if superman went to the court, and said the guy was hiding in there,
> they¹d take his word for it, and not declare him dead, or innocent, or
> whatever was supposed to happen when the time limit expired.
>
> This thing was huge, and mysteriously appeared in his backyard. I think
> superman should¹ve gone to the zoning commission and gotten it declared
> illegal for the neighborhood.

The brother flat-out told Superman that the guy was inside the cube.
That should have been enough to derail the plan.

Many episodes are based on stories from the comics, but I can't find
one that matches this.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<927895152.720048319.576413.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207101&group=rec.arts.tv#207101

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:29:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:29 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:
>
> [snip]

>>> Yeah, starting an irrevocable process of opening the cube in advance of the
>>> deadline seemed pretty stupid even to a five-year-old.
>
>> I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.
>
> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
> this, yes, this, worries you?
>
> Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
> in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
> they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?

They’ll never top CSI Horatio, getting framed for murder in Miami, taking
his retarded sidekick down to Rio de Janeiro, running around, visiting the
giant statue, visiting some relatives, taking time to murder the bad guys,
and flying back to Miami in time for sunset drinks with the crew All in the
same day.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<uhem4a$1s4d8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207103&group=rec.arts.tv#207103

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of
Superman
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:36:12 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:36 UTC

On 10/26/2023 2:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>> In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.
>>
>> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
>> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
>> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
>> this, yes, this, worries you?
>>
>> Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
>> in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
>> they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?
>
> They’ll never top CSI Horatio, getting framed for murder in Miami, taking
> his retarded sidekick down to Rio de Janeiro, running around, visiting the
> giant statue, visiting some relatives, taking time to murder the bad guys,
> and flying back to Miami in time for sunset drinks with the crew All in the
> same day.

Well, being able to teleport helps speed things up....

dirty old man.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<vtmljil7lnlmff5ubebs49o3caph3ahgau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207104&group=rec.arts.tv#207104

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:36:21 -0400
 by: shawn - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:36 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:29:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>> In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> I wondered how he planned on surviving in a sealed cube for seven years.
>>
>> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
>> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
>> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
>> this, yes, this, worries you?
>>
>> Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
>> in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
>> they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?
>
>They’ll never top CSI Horatio, getting framed for murder in Miami, taking
>his retarded sidekick down to Rio de Janeiro, running around, visiting the
>giant statue, visiting some relatives, taking time to murder the bad guys,
>and flying back to Miami in time for sunset drinks with the crew All in the
>same day.

Next time I need to travel by air I want Horatio with me.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<1981798923.720055566.537954.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207115&group=rec.arts.tv#207115

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:28:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 23:28 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 10/26/2023 2:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>>> In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
>>> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
>>> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
>>> this, yes, this, worries you?
>>>
>>> Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
>>> in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
>>> they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?
>>
>> They’ll never top CSI Horatio, getting framed for murder in Miami, taking
>> his retarded sidekick down to Rio de Janeiro, running around, visiting the
>> giant statue, visiting some relatives, taking time to murder the bad guys,
>> and flying back to Miami in time for sunset drinks with the crew All in the
>> same day.
>>
> Well, being able to teleport helps speed things up....

True that

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<623133891.720055651.391379.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207116&group=rec.arts.tv#207116

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:28:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 23:28 UTC

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:29:54 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>>> In <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
>>> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
>>> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
>>> this, yes, this, worries you?
>>>
>>> Next up: getting from NCIS HQ near DC to Afghanastan
>>> in five minutes is no problem, but how the hell do
>>> they find parking in DC (or LA, for that matter)?
>>
>> They’ll never top CSI Horatio, getting framed for murder in Miami, taking
>> his retarded sidekick down to Rio de Janeiro, running around, visiting the
>> giant statue, visiting some relatives, taking time to murder the bad guys,
>> and flying back to Miami in time for sunset drinks with the crew All in the
>> same day.
>
> Next time I need to travel by air I want Horatio with me.

I just want to date his retarded sidekick’s sister.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<261020232159457888%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207131&group=rec.arts.tv#207131

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:59:45 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 01:59 UTC

In article
<1981798923.720055566.537954.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

Of course it does, and it should. It's a rule of fantasy that for your
audience to accept your fantastic premise (in this case, the powers and
abilities of Superman), you have to rigorously guard against absurdity
in other areas. The guy living in the cube for seven years was an
absurdity.

I also presume that the scheme wouldn't have worked. The crook's
brother and the henchman had been in daily contact with the crook for
those seven years. He was never missing.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<810617944.720072512.300449.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207138&group=rec.arts.tv#207138

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:10:53 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 04:10 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1981798923.720055566.537954.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> Of course it does, and it should. It's a rule of fantasy that for your
> audience to accept your fantastic premise (in this case, the powers and
> abilities of Superman), you have to rigorously guard against absurdity
> in other areas. The guy living in the cube for seven years was an
> absurdity.

My business partner used to insist that if you broke one rule, you are free
to break all rules. So, if superman can fly, he can also turn into a giant
panda bear at any moment. Made me crazy.

> I also presume that the scheme wouldn't have worked. The crook's
> brother and the henchman had been in daily contact with the crook for
> those seven years. He was never missing.

I assume some action must have to be taken by City Hall to declare the guy
dead, that it can’t just be automatic, tracing it back to the last person
who says “I saw him!“
But still you don’t open the door until your brother has the certificate in
his hand!

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<271020230943491395%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207163&group=rec.arts.tv#207163

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <261020230753108259%nope@noway.com> <1900018145.720022861.811653.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <uhecj4$1pkj8$1@dont-email.me> <uhef5j$ljm$1@reader2.panix.com> <927895152.720048319.576413.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <uhem4a$1s4d8$1@dont-email.me> <1981798923.720055566.537954.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <261020232159457888%nope@noway.com> <810617944.720072512.300449.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:43:49 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:43 UTC

In article
<810617944.720072512.300449.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <1981798923.720055566.537954.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> > Of course it does, and it should. It's a rule of fantasy that for your
> > audience to accept your fantastic premise (in this case, the powers and
> > abilities of Superman), you have to rigorously guard against absurdity
> > in other areas. The guy living in the cube for seven years was an
> > absurdity.
>
> My business partner used to insist that if you broke one rule, you are free
> to break all rules. So, if superman can fly, he can also turn into a giant
> panda bear at any moment. Made me crazy.
>

> > I also presume that the scheme wouldn't have worked. The crook's
> > brother and the henchman had been in daily contact with the crook for
> > those seven years. He was never missing.
>
> I assume some action must have to be taken by City Hall to declare the guy
> dead, that it can¹t just be automatic, tracing it back to the last person
> who says ³I saw him!³
> But still you don¹t open the door until your brother has the certificate in
> his hand!

BTW there are plenty of cases in what we laughingly call the "real
world" in which someone who'd been declared dead was discovered to be
alive. The finding of death is declared to be in error and is set
aside. There's no drama at all.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<uhgvbo$2d3q9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207183&group=rec.arts.tv#207183

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:26:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:26 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>>So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
>>be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
>>plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
>>this, yes, this, worries you?

>Don't forget the thinning hair and the middle-age spread. I love
>George Reeves, but the 1951 model was in much better shape than the
>1956 one.

Ignoring Batman who is human and not super, I never understood why
anyone had to stay in any kind of shape given that no one had any kind
of superpower due to athletic training. This was the animator's or comic
book artist's idea of a super hero looking like a Greek god but it
wasn't relevant within the idea of the fictional universe created.

I object to the "modern" transformation in artwork into bodybuilder
physiques rather than Greek gods, given that the former requires extreme
dieting and dehydration just before competition, which contrary to the
idea of an athlete being in peak fighting form.

It's not addressed often in comics and animation. Mr. Incredible ruined
his physique working in that insurance office and needed a few scenes in
which he got himself back into shape.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<uhgvia$2d3q9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207184&group=rec.arts.tv#207184

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:29:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:29 UTC

A Friend wrote:

>>. . .

>BTW there are plenty of cases in what we laughingly call the "real
>world" in which someone who'd been declared dead was discovered to be
>alive. The finding of death is declared to be in error and is set
>aside. There's no drama at all.

There's comedy! See Irene Dunne from My Favorite Wife (1940) and its
several remakes.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<atropos-22AD1E.12353227102023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207190&group=rec.arts.tv#207190

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 12:36:07 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:36 UTC

In article <uhgvbo$2d3q9$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> A Friend wrote:
> >danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> >>So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
> >>be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
> >>plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
> >>this, yes, this, worries you?
>
> >Don't forget the thinning hair and the middle-age spread. I love
> >George Reeves, but the 1951 model was in much better shape than the
> >1956 one.
>
> Ignoring Batman who is human and not super, I never understood why
> anyone had to stay in any kind of shape given that no one had any kind
> of superpower due to athletic training. This was the animator's or comic
> book artist's idea of a super hero looking like a Greek god but it
> wasn't relevant within the idea of the fictional universe created.

I've said this before. Superman could have looked like Hurley from LOST
and been just as powerful and fast as the muscular version they draw.

And how does Superman workout to get that physique in the first place?
There's literally nothing on earth that's so heavy it would give his
muscles the necessary resistance to increase in mass like that. He can
literally move the planet itself.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<uhh4vb$2eio2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207192&group=rec.arts.tv#207192

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:01:48 -0500
 by: super70s - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:01 UTC

On 2023-10-26 19:59:42 +0000, A Friend said:

> In article <uhef5j$ljm$1@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
> <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> So you're willing to Believe A Man Can Fly [tm], have x-ray vision,
>> be invulnerable to bullets (but not to thrown guns), and have
>> plenty of human co-workers who never seem to get it, but
>> this, yes, this, worries you?
>

> Don't forget the thinning hair and the middle-age spread. I love
> George Reeves, but the 1951 model was in much better shape than the
> 1956 one.

Yeah it was the later model that appeared on I Love Lucy and looked
rather paunchy.

I have to admit it's been so long since I've seen Superman I can't
recall the plot of a single episode, I'm sure I'd recognize some of
them if I saw them again.

Hollywoodland has been in my movie library for several years and I've
watched it probably four times.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<1334902666.720130100.529268.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207197&group=rec.arts.tv#207197

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:20:11 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:20 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <uhgvbo$2d3q9$2@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> A Friend wrote:

>>> Don't forget the thinning hair and the middle-age spread. I love
>>> George Reeves, but the 1951 model was in much better shape than the
>>> 1956 one.
>>
>> Ignoring Batman who is human and not super, I never understood why
>> anyone had to stay in any kind of shape given that no one had any kind
>> of superpower due to athletic training. This was the animator's or comic
>> book artist's idea of a super hero looking like a Greek god but it
>> wasn't relevant within the idea of the fictional universe created.
>
> I've said this before. Superman could have looked like Hurley from LOST
> and been just as powerful and fast as the muscular version they draw.

And they should have cast Hurley as Volstagg the Voluminous in Thor.

> And how does Superman workout to get that physique in the first place?
> There's literally nothing on earth that's so heavy it would give his
> muscles the necessary resistance to increase in mass like that. He can
> literally move the planet itself.

He slaps Kara around? (BAD Fred!)

Two words: isometrics.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<271020231708443555%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207204&group=rec.arts.tv#207204

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:08:44 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:08 UTC

In article
<1334902666.720130100.529268.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <uhgvbo$2d3q9$2@dont-email.me>,

> >> Ignoring Batman who is human and not super, I never understood why
> >> anyone had to stay in any kind of shape given that no one had any kind
> >> of superpower due to athletic training. This was the animator's or comic
> >> book artist's idea of a super hero looking like a Greek god but it
> >> wasn't relevant within the idea of the fictional universe created.
> >
> > I've said this before. Superman could have looked like Hurley from LOST
> > and been just as powerful and fast as the muscular version they draw.
> >

> And they should have cast Hurley as Volstagg the Voluminous in Thor.
>

> > And how does Superman workout to get that physique in the first place?
> > There's literally nothing on earth that's so heavy it would give his
> > muscles the necessary resistance to increase in mass like that. He can
> > literally move the planet itself.
>
> He slaps Kara around? (BAD Fred!)
>
> Two words: isometrics.

It was once carefully explained by Mort Weisinger (or E. Nelson
Bridwell, I guess) that Superman was built the way he was as a
consequence of living under Earth's yellow sun, and so he did not have
to exercise. This does not explain why Supergirl was not similarly
muscled. Nor was Krypto, come to think of it.

I remember a ca. 1970 story in which Superman was rendered super-fat by
red kryptonite and had to take off the weight quickly because his
(normal) body served as a key to some ultra-secure government
installation. He took off the weight by super-exercising and palming
some anti-gravity disks. I don't remember why he couldn't just wait
for the red K effect to pass.

Re: if only the "rescuers" had been fans of The Adventures of Superman

<1233855105.720195567.487089.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207256&group=rec.arts.tv#207256

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
of Superman
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 07:24:03 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 14:24 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1334902666.720130100.529268.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I've said this before. Superman could have looked like Hurley from LOST
>>> and been just as powerful and fast as the muscular version they draw.
>>>

>> And they should have cast Hurley as Volstagg the Voluminous in Thor.
>>

>>> And how does Superman workout to get that physique in the first place?
>>> There's literally nothing on earth that's so heavy it would give his
>>> muscles the necessary resistance to increase in mass like that. He can
>>> literally move the planet itself.
>>
>> He slaps Kara around? (BAD Fred!)
>>
>> Two words: isometrics.
>

> It was once carefully explained by Mort Weisinger (or E. Nelson
> Bridwell, I guess) that Superman was built the way he was as a
> consequence of living under Earth's yellow sun, and so he did not have
> to exercise. This does not explain why Supergirl was not similarly
> muscled. Nor was Krypto, come to think of it.

But all the men from Kandor were, and they grew up with a Kryptonian
atmosphere, gravity, and light.