Lost: gray and white female cat. Answers to electric can opener.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino
+* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino
|`* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her parThe Horny Goat
| +- Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino
| `* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her parAdam H. Kerman
|  `- Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her parThe Horny Goat
+* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledchromebook test
|`- Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino
+* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledUbiquitous
|`* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino
| `* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledFPP
|  `- Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her parUbiquitous
+* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRichA
|`* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino
| `- Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her parThe Horny Goat
`* Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her parThe Horny Goat
 `- Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelledRhino

1
[OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231023150443.00004692@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206701&group=rec.arts.tv#206701

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled
from her party
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:04:43 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:04 UTC

An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit Stiles,
the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a motion of
censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama from its
caucus.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-mpp-sarah-jama-censured-and-removed-from-ndp-caucus-over-israel-gaza-comments-1.6612602

Clearly, Ms. Jama prefers sticking up for terrorists to representing
her entire riding.

The article is not clear on Ms. Jama's fate but I think it is safe to
say that no other party will want her. I assume she will either sit as
an independent or resign entirely, allowing a by-election to be held to
replace her. (Ironically, she's only been in office for 6 months and
entered the legislature as the result of a by-election to replace
outgoing party leader Andrea Horvath who became mayor of Hamilton.)

I wonder how hard the other "activists" and their media allies will
rail against this? After all, Jama is black, disabled (in a wheelchair
with cerebral palsy), and of Somali descent, making her a poster child
for activism in several ways.

Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231023152709.00000b9e@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206703&group=rec.arts.tv#206703

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:27:09 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:27 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:04:43 -0400

> An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
> Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit
> Stiles, the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a motion
> of censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama from its
> caucus.
>
> https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-mpp-sarah-jama-censured-and-removed-from-ndp-caucus-over-israel-gaza-comments-1.6612602
>
> Clearly, Ms. Jama prefers sticking up for terrorists to representing
> her entire riding.
>
> The article is not clear on Ms. Jama's fate but I think it is safe to
> say that no other party will want her. I assume she will either sit as
> an independent or resign entirely, allowing a by-election to be held
> to replace her. (Ironically, she's only been in office for 6 months
> and entered the legislature as the result of a by-election to replace
> outgoing party leader Andrea Horvath who became mayor of Hamilton.)
>
> I wonder how hard the other "activists" and their media allies will
> rail against this? After all, Jama is black, disabled (in a wheelchair
> with cerebral palsy), and of Somali descent, making her a poster child
> for activism in several ways.

Well, that didn't take long. The CBC is already reporting that union
leaders and other "activist" groups are deeply unhappy about Ms. Jama's
treatment by the NDP.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/jama-ndp-caucus-1.7005056 [last
few paragraphs]

I should note that one of the union leaders quoted, Fred Hahn, made his
own statement in support of Hamas in the wake of Hamas' attack on
Israel on Oct. 7 so at least he's being consistent.

If the union leadership actually speaks for its members - and I have
grave doubts about that! - this could mean a significant decline in
support for NDP candidates in the next provincial election.

> Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
> more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<5b0524a6-6475-4337-b7e0-9b6c73224254n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206704&group=rec.arts.tv#206704

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:34:29 -0700 (PDT)
from her party
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:34 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
> An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
> Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit Stiles,
> the leader of the Ontario NDP.

> Clearly, Ms. Jama prefers sticking up for terrorists to representing
> her entire riding.
>
> The article is not clear on Ms. Jama's fate but I think it is safe to
> say that no other party will want her.

> Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
> more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!
>
> --
> Rhino is still a fuking moron

Sarah Jama
MPP for Hamilton Centre. Disability Justice and Youth Critic for the Official Opposition. Account is run by Sarah and team.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CyOlg7gOGzJ/?hl=en

CALL FOR AN IMMEDIATE CEASEFIRE:

The generations long occupation of Palestine, as explained by Michael Lynk, the UN Special Rapporteur for the Situation of Human Rights in the Palestinian Territory, is apartheid i.e., "a political regime intentionally prioritizing fundamental political, legal, and social rights to one group over another in the same space on the basis of racial, national, or ethnic identity”. We are seeing this definition of apartheid in real time through the continued violation of human rights in Gaza through: the use of white phosphorus chemicals, the withholding of access to food, fuel, electricity and water, and the destruction of the only exit from Gaza that isn’t controlled by the State of Israel- the Rafah boarder.

Especially with this context in mind, the news coming out of Israel and Palestine is deeply concerning. For 75 years, violence and retaliation rooted in settler colonialism have taken the lives of far too many innocent people.. I call for an immediate ceasefire and de-escalation. We must look to the solution to this endless cycle of death and destruction: an end all occupation of Palestinian land and an end apartheid. Canada must hold true to its history of peacemaking, and refrain from military intervention. My heart genuinely goes out to all those impacted by this on-going violence.

In October 2023, following the mass killing of Israeli civilians by Hamas which sparked the Israel–Hamas war, Jama generated controversy for a statement referring to "apartheid" and describing "continued violation of human rights in Gaza" by Israel.[22] She also called for the "end [of] all occupation of Palestinian land and end [of] apartheid" and did not make mention of the attack on Israeli citizens.[23] Her statement was criticized by Ontario NDP leader Marit Stiles, and prompted Ontario Liberal leader John Fraser, Premier Doug Ford, and the Holocaust education group Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center to call for her resignation from caucus.[23] Ford also publicly stated that Jama had a "long and well-documented history of antisemitism" and "hateful views", and that she "publicly support[ed] the rape and murder of innocent Jewish people."[22][24] In response to Ford's statement, Jama served Ford's office a cease and desist letter and threatened to sue him for libel.[22] Although Jama released her statements under NDP letterhead, the party was not made aware of the pending statement and had not endorsed Jama's positions.[25] Stiles privately met with Jama asking her to remove the statement and apologize; Jama subsequently apologized for the posts in a reply to them on X but refused to remove the statements in defiance of party direction.[25]

On October 23, 2023, the Ontario Legislature voted to censure Jama in response to her comments.[26] Within one hour after Jama had been censured, the NDP anounced that they had removed Jama from caucus.[27] In an official party statement, Stiles noted that Jama had been uncooperative with NDP colleagues, making unilateral decisions without party endorsement, endangering the work environment of NDP staff, and had broken the terms of an agreement made between Stiles and Jama which would have kept her affiliated with the party following Jama's statements on the Israel-Hamas war.[25][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Jama#Politics

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231023160212.000055f5@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206705&group=rec.arts.tv#206705

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:02:12 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:02 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:34:29 -0700 (PDT)
chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
> > An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
> > Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit
> > Stiles, the leader of the Ontario NDP.
>
> > Clearly, Ms. Jama prefers sticking up for terrorists to
> > representing her entire riding.
> >
> > The article is not clear on Ms. Jama's fate but I think it is safe
> > to say that no other party will want her.
>
> > Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
> > more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!
> >
> > --
> > Rhino is still a fuking moron

Coming from an obsessive fanatic, I'll take that for an admission for
how morally bankrupt you are.

> Sarah Jama
> MPP for Hamilton Centre. Disability Justice and Youth Critic for the
> Official Opposition. Account is run by Sarah and team.
> https://www.instagram.com/p/CyOlg7gOGzJ/?hl=en
>

> CALL FOR AN IMMEDIATE CEASEFIRE:
>
> The generations long occupation of Palestine, as explained by Michael
> Lynk, the UN Special Rapporteur for the Situation of Human Rights in
> the Palestinian Territory, is apartheid i.e., "a political regime
> intentionally prioritizing fundamental political, legal, and social
> rights to one group over another in the same space on the basis of
> racial, national, or ethnic identity”. We are seeing this definition
> of apartheid in real time through the continued violation of human
> rights in Gaza through: the use of white phosphorus chemicals, the
> withholding of access to food, fuel, electricity and water, and the
> destruction of the only exit from Gaza that isn’t controlled by the
> State of Israel- the Rafah boarder.
>
> Especially with this context in mind, the news coming out of Israel
> and Palestine is deeply concerning. For 75 years, violence and
> retaliation rooted in settler colonialism have taken the lives of far
> too many innocent people.

Yes indeed, it has! So call off your friends in Hamas, Hesbollah,
Fatah, and Islamic Jihad and tell them to stop murdering Israelis. Deal
with the Israelis in good faith and you can have peace.

> I call for an immediate ceasefire and
> de-escalation. We must look to the solution to this endless cycle of
> death and destruction: an end all occupation of Palestinian land and
> an end apartheid.

Your idea of how the problem will end is very clear from your favourite
chant: "From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!". In other
words, there will be peace when every single Israeli is dead or
expelled from "Palestine".

> Canada must hold true to its history of
> peacemaking, and refrain from military intervention. My heart
> genuinely goes out to all those impacted by this on-going violence.

Canada has not sent troops to support either side. We HAVE sent people
to help evacuate Israeli-Canadians and Palestinian-Canadians back to
Canada.

> In October 2023, following the mass killing of Israeli civilians by
> Hamas which sparked the Israel–Hamas war, Jama generated controversy
> for a statement referring to "apartheid" and describing "continued
> violation of human rights in Gaza" by Israel.[22] She also called for
> the "end [of] all occupation of Palestinian land and end [of]
> apartheid" and did not make mention of the attack on Israeli
> citizens.[23] Her statement was criticized by Ontario NDP leader
> Marit Stiles, and prompted Ontario Liberal leader John Fraser,
> Premier Doug Ford, and the Holocaust education group Friends of Simon
> Wiesenthal Center to call for her resignation from caucus.[23] Ford
> also publicly stated that Jama had a "long and well-documented
> history of antisemitism" and "hateful views", and that she "publicly
> support[ed] the rape and murder of innocent Jewish people."[22][24]
> and desist letter and threatened to sue him for libel.[22] Although
> Jama released her statements under NDP letterhead, the party was not
> made aware of the pending statement and had not endorsed Jama's
> positions.[25] Stiles privately met with Jama asking her to remove
> the statement and apologize; Jama subsequently apologized for the
> posts in a reply to them on X but refused to remove the statements in
> defiance of party direction.[25]
>
> On October 23, 2023, the Ontario Legislature voted to censure Jama in
> response to her comments.[26] Within one hour after Jama had been
> censured, the NDP anounced that they had removed Jama from
> caucus.[27] In an official party statement, Stiles noted that Jama
> had been uncooperative with NDP colleagues, making unilateral
> decisions without party endorsement, endangering the work environment
> of NDP staff, and had broken the terms of an agreement made between
> Stiles and Jama which would have kept her affiliated with the party
> following Jama's statements on the Israel-Hamas war.[25][2]
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Jama#Politics

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<Ub6hfn$2oa3o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206745&group=rec.arts.tv#206745

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:36:16 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:36 UTC

no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:

>An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
>Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit Stiles,
>the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a motion of
>censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama from its
>caucus.

Too bad the Democrat party here isn't willing to do the same.

--
Let's go Brandn!

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<251fc781-d108-4a0f-ba3f-be99cdd17951n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206749&group=rec.arts.tv#206749

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
from her party
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 02:54 UTC

On Monday, 23 October 2023 at 15:04:50 UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
> An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
> Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit Stiles,
> the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a motion of
> censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama from its
> caucus.
>
> https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-mpp-sarah-jama-censured-and-removed-from-ndp-caucus-over-israel-gaza-comments-1.6612602
>
> Clearly, Ms. Jama prefers sticking up for terrorists to representing
> her entire riding.
>
> The article is not clear on Ms. Jama's fate but I think it is safe to
> say that no other party will want her. I assume she will either sit as
> an independent or resign entirely, allowing a by-election to be held to
> replace her. (Ironically, she's only been in office for 6 months and
> entered the legislature as the result of a by-election to replace
> outgoing party leader Andrea Horvath who became mayor of Hamilton.)
>
> I wonder how hard the other "activists" and their media allies will
> rail against this? After all, Jama is black, disabled (in a wheelchair
> with cerebral palsy), and of Somali descent, making her a poster child
> for activism in several ways.
>
> Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
> more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!
>
> --
> Rhino

What do you want to bet that 2 weeks from now, when the Gazans have all run to one side of the country and Israel is systematically exterminating the Hamas people, the SAME party will be
crying copious crocodile tears about the "plight" of the Gazans and all thoughts of the 1000-odd people killed in Israel will be a memory?

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231024083636.00007afb@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206795&group=rec.arts.tv#206795

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:36:36 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:36 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:36:16 -0400
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:
>
> >An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
> >Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit
> >Stiles, the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a
> >motion of censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama
> >from its caucus.
>
> Too bad the Democrat party here isn't willing to do the same.

Indeed! Imagine a Democratic Party *without* Rashida Tlaib, AOC and the
rest of the Squad standing up for the indefensible....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231024083922.000050f8@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206796&group=rec.arts.tv#206796

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:39:22 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:39 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 23 October 2023 at 15:04:50 UTC-4, Rhino wrote:
> > An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
> > Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit
> > Stiles, the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a
> > motion of censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama
> > from its caucus.
> >
> > https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-mpp-sarah-jama-censured-and-removed-from-ndp-caucus-over-israel-gaza-comments-1.6612602
> >
> > Clearly, Ms. Jama prefers sticking up for terrorists to
> > representing her entire riding.
> >
> > The article is not clear on Ms. Jama's fate but I think it is safe
> > to say that no other party will want her. I assume she will either
> > sit as an independent or resign entirely, allowing a by-election to
> > be held to replace her. (Ironically, she's only been in office for
> > 6 months and entered the legislature as the result of a by-election
> > to replace outgoing party leader Andrea Horvath who became mayor of
> > Hamilton.)
> >
> > I wonder how hard the other "activists" and their media allies will
> > rail against this? After all, Jama is black, disabled (in a
> > wheelchair with cerebral palsy), and of Somali descent, making her
> > a poster child for activism in several ways.
> >
> > Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
> > more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!
> >
> > --
> > Rhino
>
> What do you want to bet that 2 weeks from now, when the Gazans haveTwo
> all run to one side of the country and Israel is systematically
> exterminating the Hamas people, the SAME party will be crying copious
> crocodile tears about the "plight" of the Gazans and all thoughts of
> the 1000-odd people killed in Israel will be a memory?

Two weeks from now? Are you blind? They're ALREADY crying about what's
happening in Gaza before the ground offensive has even begun.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<uh8fj8$3t79a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206798&group=rec.arts.tv#206798

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:07:50 -0400
 by: FPP - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:07 UTC

On 10/24/23 8:36 AM, Rhino wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:36:16 -0400
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:
>>
>>> An Ontario MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) from the NDP (New
>>> Democratic Party) has been expelled from her own party by Marit
>>> Stiles, the leader of the Ontario NDP. The NDP voted against a
>>> motion of censure from the legislature despite its removal of Jama
>> >from its caucus.
>>
>> Too bad the Democrat party here isn't willing to do the same.
>
> Indeed! Imagine a Democratic Party *without* Rashida Tlaib, AOC and the
> rest of the Squad standing up for the indefensible....
>>
>> --
>> Let's go Brandn!

Yup... Dems have a couple of assholes. But none of them tried to
overthrow the government and terminate the Constitution. And I don't
recall Dems supporting a rapist who's been indicted 4 times and is
facing 91 felony charges.

Oh... and I don't remember any of them giving hand-jobs on camera, or
getting felt-up, and vaping with pregnant women and kids around.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<uhau4c$n170$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206893&group=rec.arts.tv#206893

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 4:30:45 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

"trotsky" wrote:
> On 10/24/23 8:36 AM, Rhino wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> Too bad the Democrat party here isn't willing to do the same.
>>
>> Indeed! Imagine a Democratic Party *without* Rashida Tlaib, AOC and the
>> rest of the Squad standing up for the indefensible....

One can dream...

>Yup... Dems have a couple of assholes. But none of them tried to
>overthrow the government and terminate the Constitution.

Democray almost DIED on October 18th!

Selective memory noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<hh4kjihoo4ivoiso1gi7jo25mleqlee04b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207006&group=rec.arts.tv#207006

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:19:24 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:19 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:04:43 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
>more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!

Which is funny as hell since when I was a McMaster student (which for
those other than you and me need to know that's in Hamilton, ON)
Hamilton Centre was one of the most left leaning electoral districts
in the whole country never mind just Ontario alone.

Federally wasn't that Sheila Copps' district "back in the day"?

(Mac MBA class of '83)

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<hq4kji152fmm64706p7qo0am7e9486eopo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207007&group=rec.arts.tv#207007

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:22:30 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:22 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:27:09 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>I should note that one of the union leaders quoted, Fred Hahn, made his
>own statement in support of Hamas in the wake of Hamas' attack on
>Israel on Oct. 7 so at least he's being consistent.
>
>If the union leadership actually speaks for its members - and I have
>grave doubts about that! - this could mean a significant decline in
>support for NDP candidates in the next provincial election.

What most of our American friends don't know and you haven't pointed
out to them is that the NDP party has explicit links wiith organized
labor.

It's NOT like in the US where the linkage is far less explicit.

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<pv4kjid90t49unalrj1mogcb1rgja5aj7m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207008&group=rec.arts.tv#207008

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:24:01 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:24 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:39:22 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>> What do you want to bet that 2 weeks from now, when the Gazans haveTwo
>> all run to one side of the country and Israel is systematically
>> exterminating the Hamas people, the SAME party will be crying copious
>> crocodile tears about the "plight" of the Gazans and all thoughts of
>> the 1000-odd people killed in Israel will be a memory?
>
>Two weeks from now? Are you blind? They're ALREADY crying about what's
>happening in Gaza before the ground offensive has even begun.

Knowing who you're talkng about I'd be shocked if the situation were
any different.

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231026114147.00006a27@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207049&group=rec.arts.tv#207049

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:41:47 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:41 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:19:24 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:04:43 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >Here's hoping the voters of Hamilton Centre choose someone a little
> >more sensible the next time they get a chance to vote!
>
> Which is funny as hell since when I was a McMaster student (which for
> those other than you and me need to know that's in Hamilton, ON)
> Hamilton Centre was one of the most left leaning electoral districts
> in the whole country never mind just Ontario alone.

I think it still is, based on this story:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/jama-hamilton-centre-constituents-1.7007265

Of course this is a CBC article and we both know that there is no
"progressive" idea that the CBC won't support. (It's also very telling
that they "accidentally on purpose" failed to provide a comments
section for this story, as they so often do when reporting on something
controversial.)

> Federally wasn't that Sheila Copps' district "back in the day"?

I'm not sure which Hamilton riding she represented. [short research
break: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_Copps. It seems she DID
represent Hamilton Centre as a provincial legislator before she went
into federal politics, then represented Hamilton East as a federal
MP for many years until a riding split happened and the half of her
riding that remained was renamed Hamilton Centre. That may have been
when Ontario decided to make its provincial and federal ridings
identical. So yes, she did represent Hamilton Centre as an MPP and
ultimately federally but mostly represented Hamilton East.]

I'm just glad we finally saw the end of her. I still remember
footage of her literally diving over a bench in front of her in the
House of Commons (when the Liberals were in Opposition) and pummeling
another MP *while she was very visibly pregnant*! I also vividly recall
her sheer arrogance in reneging on her promise to resign if the GST was
not repealed. It was DELIGHTFUL to see her forced to resign and then run
in a byelection to get her seat back.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<20231026114228.00001574@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207050&group=rec.arts.tv#207050

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
from her party
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:42:28 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:42 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:22:30 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:27:09 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >I should note that one of the union leaders quoted, Fred Hahn, made
> >his own statement in support of Hamas in the wake of Hamas' attack on
> >Israel on Oct. 7 so at least he's being consistent.
> >
> >If the union leadership actually speaks for its members - and I have
> >grave doubts about that! - this could mean a significant decline in
> >support for NDP candidates in the next provincial election.
> >
> What most of our American friends don't know and you haven't pointed
> out to them is that the NDP party has explicit links wiith organized
> labor.
>
> It's NOT like in the US where the linkage is far less explicit.

Good point. Thanks for bringing it up!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<uhe4bl$1n02a$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207052&group=rec.arts.tv#207052

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:32:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:32 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:27:09 -0400, Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>:

>>I should note that one of the union leaders quoted, Fred Hahn, made his
>>own statement in support of Hamas in the wake of Hamas' attack on
>>Israel on Oct. 7 so at least he's being consistent.

>>If the union leadership actually speaks for its members - and I have
>>grave doubts about that! - this could mean a significant decline in
>>support for NDP candidates in the next provincial election.

>What most of our American friends don't know and you haven't pointed
>out to them is that the NDP party has explicit links wiith organized
>labor.

>It's NOT like in the US where the linkage is far less explicit.

Labor leaders I've known, organizers and shop stewards, were Communist
Party members. It seemed pretty explicit to me. Rank and file labor
union members aren't generally Commies, and may be Democrats or
Republicans.

COPE (the political arm of a union local) is likely to be explicitly
Democratic, but that demands.

Organized labor does what it can to influence the political process. I don't
see much difference between the United States and Canada in that respect.

Re: [OT] Provincial legislator who took pro-Hamas position expelled from her party

<ts6ojihbsqcd64atn5n8i6t5d82b0pp4qf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207200&group=rec.arts.tv#207200

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:23:52 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:23 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:32:53 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>It's NOT like in the US where the linkage is far less explicit.
>
>Labor leaders I've known, organizers and shop stewards, were Communist
>Party members. It seemed pretty explicit to me. Rank and file labor
>union members aren't generally Commies, and may be Democrats or
>Republicans.
>
>COPE (the political arm of a union local) is likely to be explicitly
>Democratic, but that demands.
>
>Organized labor does what it can to influence the political process. I don't
>see much difference between the United States and Canada in that respect.

The only COPE I know of is a municipal political party in the city of
Vancouver that is definitely well to the left of AOC and her ilk and
has strong links to several highly militant unions.

(I well understand that in the last month "militant" has become the
euphemism for TV anchors who won't say "terrorist" about HAMAS and
Hezbollah - even Justin Trudeau is insisting the CBC call HAMAS
terrorist instead of militant these days!)