Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree.

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

SubjectAuthor
* Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
+* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilerssolar penguin
|+- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
|+* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersJohn Hall
||+- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
||+* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilerssolar penguin
|||`- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
||`* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe True Doctor
|| `- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
|`* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe True Doctor
| `- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
`* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilerssolar penguin
 +* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilerssolar penguin
 |+* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
 ||`* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilerssolar penguin
 || `- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
 |`* Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersJohn Hall
 | `- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor
 `- Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilersThe Doctor

1
Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<slmqlb$16pi$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2061&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2061

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:26:35 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:26 UTC

Doctor Who Flux

The Halloween Apocalypse

0/10

Chibnall is trying to legitimise his Timeless Child Arc and the Division.
This bogus arc really needs to be retconned.

Hanging updise down eh Doctor and Yaz?
Earth is under threat. Nitro-9?
Trapezium Act ? Just ride the device.

Back to TARDIS.

Not a motivating start.

Liverpool in 1820? What is digging?

Present day Liverpool - John Bishop as Dan a pretend guide for a Liverpool
Museum. Liverpool has no history live Liverpool history - lame line!

TARDIS - The TARDIS is not materialising and the Doctor get a psychic message.

All right why is someone inspecting a prisoner from the Time of Dawn?
Noble service to the Division? That bogus entity. Prisoner escpaing.
The technicians are eliminated . Trick or treat. Message ends.

Halloween Today Doctor.

Dan is being shadowed by a creature unknown.
What dog is axing Dan's door? Dog imprisons Dan.

Doctor and Yaz in pursuit.

Doctor finds Dan being taken
and now 7000000000 ships heading for Earth.

Flat explodes.

Arctic Circle

Drone warning smashed.

Dan is Dog's prisoner. Why is dog sounding like a scouser?

Doctor takes trap message.
Doctor meets someone from the past.
So many wires loose in a TARDIS. Newman and Hartnall would not approve!

Temporal fields the doctor has to fight?

Weeping angels get abused. Dan's lady friend disappears.

Outpost Rose? How far can Chibnall go?
Nothing happens until an anomoly takes is out.
On Earth villain and Sister reunited.

TARDIS go on a Spaceship. Dog is stopped by Doctor ! No invasion of Earth. Yaz rescues Dan.

Dog race is trying to help humanity from the Flux.

Flux destroying Rose.

Dog race not happy with the Doctor. Welcome Dan to Hell.
Enter the Sontarans. Is the Flux a sontaran plot?

TARDIS lands where? In danger! The Dcotor sees the flux. Final battle off what?

Doctor seeking help of the Dog race as the flux approaches Earth. And they shield the Earth. Only decent scene.

When is Dan's friend?

Dog create shield. Can the TARDIS outrun the flux?

What is flux is happening in the end?

Misuse of words is not healthy. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2062&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2062

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:03:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:O5Vnb2louwaGH/bUzAgfBNFce+U=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:03 UTC

Chibnall’s strong point as a writer is his ability to do small-scale
character studies.

It’s no surprise that the best bits of the episode were about the
introduction of Dan. A volunteer at a food bank and wannabe volunteer at a
museum, it would be easy for him to come across as too annoyingly good to
be true. Luckily the writing and acting keep him grounded and likeable. His
confused reaction to the alien weirdness was the highlight of the episode.

Unfortunately, Chibnall’s biggest weakness is that he just plain can’t
write good plots.

And that’s a problem because Doctor Who is a plot-driven show. This time
round it looks like he’s copying the Moffat playbook: throw lots of
different things into the mix along with plenty of spectacle and
timey-wimey weirdness to stop us noticing if it doesn’t quite fit together.
Chibnall has turned it up to 11, almost as if he’s trying to out-Moffat
Moffat!

The action jumped around from the opening on the dog aliens’ greenscreen
CGI deathtrap planet, to Liverpool in two different time periods, the
Arctic Circle, an alien prison whose only prisoner is escaping, Sontaran
military headquarters and a one-man space station called Outpost Rose,
taking in Weeping Angels, a possible stable time-loop and the
universe-destroying Flux along the way. And made about as much sense as you
would expect from all those things packed together! (e.g. If the dog aliens
are good guys, why are they trying to kill the Doctor and Yaz with
deathtraps at the start?)

OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on hold to
meet random historical women!)

Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.

I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
based on future episodes.

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln0mg$ur9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2063&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2063

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:09:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nUwaz0S8AqCrgIiKKeefxdlh5kM=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:09 UTC

The Idiot insisted:

( *snip* )

> Weeping angels get abused. Dan's lady friend disappears.

( *snip* )

> When is Dan's friend?

I thought the woman disappeared by the Weeping Angels
was the woman who will have met the Doctor in the future
timey-wimey past. Dan’s friend was seen being lured into
a haunted house at the end of the episode.

Or have I been infected with Aggy’s face-blindness?

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln2kq$eap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2064&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2064

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:42:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:67GnKB6Yls2cjKN/KBTBkjDy2L4=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:42 UTC

solar penguin speculated:

> The Idiot insisted:
>
> ( *snip* )
>

>> Weeping angels get abused. Dan's lady friend disappears.
>>

> ( *snip* )
>

>> When is Dan's friend?
>>

> I thought the woman disappeared by the Weeping Angels
> was the woman who will have met the Doctor in the future
> timey-wimey past. Dan’s friend was seen being lured into
> a haunted house at the end of the episode.
>
> Or have I been infected with Aggy’s face-blindness?

Re-watched those scenes to make sure. The woman who
was disappeared by the Angel had two arms, so she can’t
be Dan’s one-armed friend.

Congratulations, Idiot, your arm-blindness is even worse
than Aggy’s face-blindness!

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln33i$26qj$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2065&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2065

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:50:42 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:50 UTC

In article <sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>Chibnall’s strong point as a writer is his ability to do small-scale
>character studies.
>
>It’s no surprise that the best bits of the episode were about the
>introduction of Dan. A volunteer at a food bank and wannabe volunteer at a
>museum, it would be easy for him to come across as too annoyingly good to
>be true. Luckily the writing and acting keep him grounded and likeable. His
>confused reaction to the alien weirdness was the highlight of the episode.
>
>Unfortunately, Chibnall’s biggest weakness is that he just plain can’t
>write good plots.
>
>And that’s a problem because Doctor Who is a plot-driven show. This time
>round it looks like he’s copying the Moffat playbook: throw lots of
>different things into the mix along with plenty of spectacle and
>timey-wimey weirdness to stop us noticing if it doesn’t quite fit together.
>Chibnall has turned it up to 11, almost as if he’s trying to out-Moffat
>Moffat!
>
>The action jumped around from the opening on the dog aliens’ greenscreen
>CGI deathtrap planet, to Liverpool in two different time periods, the
>Arctic Circle, an alien prison whose only prisoner is escaping, Sontaran
>military headquarters and a one-man space station called Outpost Rose,
>taking in Weeping Angels, a possible stable time-loop and the
>universe-destroying Flux along the way. And made about as much sense as you
>would expect from all those things packed together! (e.g. If the dog aliens
>are good guys, why are they trying to kill the Doctor and Yaz with
>deathtraps at the start?)
>
>OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
>episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
>worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on hold to
>meet random historical women!)
>
>Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
>characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.
>
>I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>based on future episodes.
>
>--
>solar penguin

Chibnall is a revisionist idiot!

He needs a political science thsis written about his revisionism!
Misuse of words is not healthy. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln35e$26qj$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2066&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2066

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:51:42 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:51 UTC

In article <sln0mg$ur9$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>The Idiot insisted:
>
>( *snip* )
>

>> Weeping angels get abused. Dan's lady friend disappears.
>>

>( *snip* )
>

>> When is Dan's friend?
>>

>I thought the woman disappeared by the Weeping Angels
>was the woman who will have met the Doctor in the future
>timey-wimey past. Dan’s friend was seen being lured into
>a haunted house at the end of the episode.
>
>Or have I been infected with Aggy’s face-blindness?

Yes. Please rewatch the scene.

Newsflash, from what I see, The whole is now available on Iplayer.

Hope I am wrong.

>--
>solar penguin

Misuse of words is not healthy. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln368$26qj$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2067&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2067

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:52:08 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:52 UTC

In article <sln2kq$eap$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>solar penguin speculated:
>
>> The Idiot insisted:
>>
>> ( *snip* )
>>

>>> Weeping angels get abused. Dan's lady friend disappears.
>>>

>> ( *snip* )
>>

>>> When is Dan's friend?
>>>

>> I thought the woman disappeared by the Weeping Angels
>> was the woman who will have met the Doctor in the future
>> timey-wimey past. Dan’s friend was seen being lured into
>> a haunted house at the end of the episode.
>>
>> Or have I been infected with Aggy’s face-blindness?
>>

>Re-watched those scenes to make sure. The woman who
>was disappeared by the Angel had two arms, so she can’t
>be Dan’s one-armed friend.
>
>Congratulations, Idiot, your arm-blindness is even worse
>than Aggy’s face-blindness!

The lady at the museum?

>--
>solar penguin

Misuse of words is not healthy. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<w3J5GBEJ$wfhFwjX@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2069

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:51:05 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:51 UTC

In message <sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
<solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>Chibnall’s strong point as a writer is his ability to do small-scale
>character studies.
>
>It’s no surprise that the best bits of the episode were about the
>introduction of Dan. A volunteer at a food bank and wannabe volunteer at a
>museum, it would be easy for him to come across as too annoyingly good to
>be true. Luckily the writing and acting keep him grounded and likeable. His
>confused reaction to the alien weirdness was the highlight of the episode.
>
>Unfortunately, Chibnall’s biggest weakness is that he just plain can’t
>write good plots.
>
>And that’s a problem because Doctor Who is a plot-driven show. This time
>round it looks like he’s copying the Moffat playbook: throw lots of
>different things into the mix along with plenty of spectacle and
>timey-wimey weirdness to stop us noticing if it doesn’t quite fit together.
>Chibnall has turned it up to 11, almost as if he’s trying to out-Moffat
>Moffat!
>
>The action jumped around from the opening on the dog aliens’ greenscreen
>CGI deathtrap planet, to Liverpool in two different time periods, the
>Arctic Circle, an alien prison whose only prisoner is escaping, Sontaran
>military headquarters and a one-man space station called Outpost Rose,
>taking in Weeping Angels, a possible stable time-loop and the
>universe-destroying Flux along the way. And made about as much sense as you
>would expect from all those things packed together! (e.g. If the dog aliens
>are good guys, why are they trying to kill the Doctor and Yaz with
>deathtraps at the start?)

I agree with all that. I also boggled at the idea that if you wanted to
evacuate seven billion people from a planet then you would send seven
billion spaceships to do it.

>OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
>episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
>worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on hold to
>meet random historical women!)
>
>Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
>characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.

Yes, I've been relying on subtitles for the last series or two. Jodie
Whitaker is a good actress, but she doesn't enunciate very clearly. (In
contrast to Mandeep Gill, who I can understand much more easily,)

>I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>based on future episodes.

You're more generous than me. I don't think I could give it more than 5.
Hopefully future episodes, by other writers, will be less of a confusing
melange.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<NWam+tEHJxfhFw2i@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2070&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2070

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:01:43 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:01 UTC

In message <sln2kq$eap$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
<solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>Re-watched those scenes to make sure. The woman who was disappeared by
>the Angel had two arms, so she can’t be Dan’s one-armed friend.
>
>Congratulations, Idiot, your arm-blindness is even worse than Aggy’s
>face-blindness!

My observational skills are clearly lacking as well, as I too had failed
to notice that Dan's friend had only one arm. Perhaps I was devoting too
much attention to reading the subtitles!
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln3t7$ncl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2071&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2071

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:04:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:U6PJ61gDiiEsSlKue2qt+ogU3s0=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:04 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <sln2kq$eap$1@dont-email.me>,
> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> solar penguin speculated:
>>
>>> The Idiot insisted:
>>>
>>> ( *snip* )

>>> ( *snip* )

>>> I thought the woman disappeared by the Weeping Angels
>>> was the woman who will have met the Doctor in the future
>>> timey-wimey past. Dan’s friend was seen being lured into
>>> a haunted house at the end of the episode.
>>>
>>> Or have I been infected with Aggy’s face-blindness?
>>>

>> Re-watched those scenes to make sure. The woman who
>> was disappeared by the Angel had two arms, so she can’t
>> be Dan’s one-armed friend.
>>
>> Congratulations, Idiot, your arm-blindness is even worse
>> than Aggy’s face-blindness!
>>

> The lady at the museum?

Yes, the one he was going to meet for a Halloween drink
on a date/not-a-date. Who else would you mean by his
"lady friend"?

(And now I’ve got "Hello, Hello, Who's Your Lady Friend"
playing in my head! Songs that old should not be earworms!)

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln44r$2d32$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2072&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2072

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:08:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:08 UTC

In article <w3J5GBEJ$wfhFwjX@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
John Hall <john@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>In message <sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
><solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>>Chibnall’s strong point as a writer is his ability to do small-scale
>>character studies.
>>
>>It’s no surprise that the best bits of the episode were about the
>>introduction of Dan. A volunteer at a food bank and wannabe volunteer at a
>>museum, it would be easy for him to come across as too annoyingly good to
>>be true. Luckily the writing and acting keep him grounded and likeable. His
>>confused reaction to the alien weirdness was the highlight of the episode.
>>
>>Unfortunately, Chibnall’s biggest weakness is that he just plain can’t
>>write good plots.
>>
>>And that’s a problem because Doctor Who is a plot-driven show. This time
>>round it looks like he’s copying the Moffat playbook: throw lots of
>>different things into the mix along with plenty of spectacle and
>>timey-wimey weirdness to stop us noticing if it doesn’t quite fit together.
>>Chibnall has turned it up to 11, almost as if he’s trying to out-Moffat
>>Moffat!
>>
>>The action jumped around from the opening on the dog aliens’ greenscreen
>>CGI deathtrap planet, to Liverpool in two different time periods, the
>>Arctic Circle, an alien prison whose only prisoner is escaping, Sontaran
>>military headquarters and a one-man space station called Outpost Rose,
>>taking in Weeping Angels, a possible stable time-loop and the
>>universe-destroying Flux along the way. And made about as much sense as you
>>would expect from all those things packed together! (e.g. If the dog aliens
>>are good guys, why are they trying to kill the Doctor and Yaz with
>>deathtraps at the start?)
>
>I agree with all that. I also boggled at the idea that if you wanted to
>evacuate seven billion people from a planet then you would send seven
>billion spaceships to do it.
>

>>OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
>>episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
>>worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on hold to
>>meet random historical women!)
>>
>>Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
>>characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.
>
>Yes, I've been relying on subtitles for the last series or two. Jodie
>Whitaker is a good actress, but she doesn't enunciate very clearly. (In
>contrast to Mandeep Gill, who I can understand much more easily,)
>

>>I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>>based on future episodes.
>>

>You're more generous than me. I don't think I could give it more than 5.
>Hopefully future episodes, by other writers, will be less of a confusing
>melange.

Good man! chibnall is a wretch!

>--
>John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

How can one get to heaven while championing disobedience? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln45u$2d32$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2073&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2073

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:09:02 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:09 UTC

In article <NWam+tEHJxfhFw2i@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
John Hall <john@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>In message <sln2kq$eap$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
><solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>>Re-watched those scenes to make sure. The woman who was disappeared by
>>the Angel had two arms, so she can’t be Dan’s one-armed friend.
>>
>>Congratulations, Idiot, your arm-blindness is even worse than Aggy’s
>>face-blindness!
>
>My observational skills are clearly lacking as well, as I too had failed
>to notice that Dan's friend had only one arm. Perhaps I was devoting too
>much attention to reading the subtitles!

Well how did she know the Doctor to start with.

Stalked by an Angel?

>--
>John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

How can one get to heaven while championing disobedience? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln46u$2d32$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2074&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2074

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:09:34 -0000 (UTC)

In article <sln3t7$ncl$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> In article <sln2kq$eap$1@dont-email.me>,
>> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> solar penguin speculated:

>>> Re-watched those scenes to make sure. The woman who
>>> was disappeared by the Angel had two arms, so she can’t
>>> be Dan’s one-armed friend.
>>>
>>> Congratulations, Idiot, your arm-blindness is even worse
>>> than Aggy’s face-blindness!
>>>

>> The lady at the museum?
>>

>Yes, the one he was going to meet for a Halloween drink
>on a date/not-a-date. Who else would you mean by his
>"lady friend"?

Correct lady.

>(And now I’ve got "Hello, Hello, Who's Your Lady Friend"
>playing in my head! Songs that old should not be earworms!)

Ha! Ha!

>--
>solar penguin

How can one get to heaven while championing disobedience? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<sln58i$16g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2075&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2075

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:27:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yoxopWXZhZb/SVu1fLatKnNwnN4=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 22:27 UTC

John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
> <solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>

>> I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>> based on future episodes.
>>

> You're more generous than me. I don't think I could give it more than 5.
> Hopefully future episodes, by other writers, will be less of a confusing
> melange.

I just have a soft spot for stories that fail because they
try to pack in too much stuff. At least I t’s more fun than
failing because of not having enough material to fill the
story. (‘The Chase’ is one of my biggest guilty pleasures
even though I know it’s rubbish!)

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<-tqdnetTqcy8veL8nZ2dnUU78WHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2076&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2076

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
From: agamem...@hello.to.NO_SPAM (The True Doctor)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:00:48 +0000
 by: The True Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:00 UTC

On 31/10/2021 21:03, solar penguin wrote:
> Chibnall’s strong point as a writer is his ability to do small-scale
> character studies.

You must be joking. Writing boring feeble irrelevant soap-opera is not a
character study. The talentless hack Chibnall is not Charles Dickens, or
Terrance Dicks.

> It’s no surprise that the best bits of the episode were about the
> introduction of Dan. A volunteer at a food bank and wannabe volunteer at a
> museum, it would be easy for him to come across as too annoyingly good to
> be true. Luckily the writing and acting keep him grounded and likeable. His
> confused reaction to the alien weirdness was the highlight of the episode.

Dan was written as a simpleton. A week male just like all of Chibnall's
characters, including the women, which like the soldiers were male roles
which were given to women because of his woke sexist casting.

> Unfortunately, Chibnall’s biggest weakness is that he just plain can’t
> write good plots.
>
> And that’s a problem because Doctor Who is a plot-driven show. This time
> round it looks like he’s copying the Moffat playbook: throw lots of
> different things into the mix along with plenty of spectacle and
> timey-wimey weirdness to stop us noticing if it doesn’t quite fit together.
> Chibnall has turned it up to 11, almost as if he’s trying to out-Moffat
> Moffat!

He's trying to do The Pandorica Opens and The Impossible Astronaguht-The
Doctor's Wife arc. He's got no original ideas at all.

> The action jumped around from the opening on the dog aliens’ greenscreen
> CGI deathtrap planet, to Liverpool in two different time periods, the
> Arctic Circle, an alien prison whose only prisoner is escaping, Sontaran
> military headquarters and a one-man space station called Outpost Rose,
> taking in Weeping Angels, a possible stable time-loop and the
> universe-destroying Flux along the way. And made about as much sense as you
> would expect from all those things packed together! (e.g. If the dog aliens
> are good guys, why are they trying to kill the Doctor and Yaz with
> deathtraps at the start?)

I suspect the device that shrank Dan's house was the Master's matter
compression eliminator. The Villains both look like the Deadly Assassin
Master. The female one could be the Rani. Though why she's friends with
him again after the last time they worked together against Colin Baker I
don't know.

> OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
> episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
> worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on hold to
> meet random historical women!)
>
> Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
> characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.

That was John Bishop's mumbling and all the regional accents inserted to
appeal to intolerant racists who can't tolerate the Queen's English
being spoken. I had to double the volume level to make out what was
being said, but it wasn't because of the music which did not bother me.

--
The True Doctor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngrZwoS0n21IRcXpKO79Lw

"To be woke is to be uninformed which is exactly the opposite of what it
stands for." -William Shatner

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<-tqdnepTqcwZveL8nZ2dnUU78WGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2077&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2077

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
From: agamem...@hello.to.NO_SPAM (The True Doctor)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:02:27 +0000
 by: The True Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:02 UTC

On 31/10/2021 21:51, John Hall wrote:
> In message <sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
> <solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>> Chibnall’s strong point as a writer is his ability to do small-scale
>> character studies.
>>
>> It’s no surprise that the best bits of the episode were about the
>> introduction of Dan. A volunteer at a food bank and wannabe volunteer
>> at a
>> museum, it would be easy for him to come across as too annoyingly good to
>> be true. Luckily the writing and acting keep him grounded and
>> likeable. His
>> confused reaction to the alien weirdness was the highlight of the
>> episode.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Chibnall’s biggest weakness is that he just plain can’t
>> write good plots.
>>
>> And that’s a problem because Doctor Who is a plot-driven show. This time
>> round it looks like he’s copying the Moffat playbook: throw lots of
>> different things into the mix along with plenty of spectacle and
>> timey-wimey weirdness to stop us noticing if it doesn’t quite fit
>> together.
>> Chibnall has turned it up to 11, almost as if he’s trying to out-Moffat
>> Moffat!
>>
>> The action jumped around from the opening on the dog aliens’ greenscreen
>> CGI deathtrap planet, to Liverpool in two different time periods, the
>> Arctic Circle, an alien prison whose only prisoner is escaping, Sontaran
>> military headquarters and a one-man space station called Outpost Rose,
>> taking in Weeping Angels, a possible stable time-loop and the
>> universe-destroying Flux along the way. And made about as much sense
>> as you
>> would expect from all those things packed together! (e.g. If the dog
>> aliens
>> are good guys, why are they trying to kill the Doctor and Yaz with
>> deathtraps at the start?)
>
> I agree with all that. I also boggled at the idea that if you wanted to
> evacuate seven billion people from a planet then you would send seven
> billion spaceships to do it.
>

>> OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
>> episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
>> worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on
>> hold to
>> meet random historical women!)
>>
>> Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
>> characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.
>
> Yes, I've been relying on subtitles for the last series or two. Jodie
> Whitaker is a good actress, but she doesn't enunciate very clearly. (In
> contrast to Mandeep Gill, who I can understand much more easily,)
>

>> I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>> based on future episodes.
>>

> You're more generous than me. I don't think I could give it more than 5.
> Hopefully future episodes, by other writers, will be less of a confusing
> melange.

All of them are written solely by Chibnall except one. The talentless
hacks and political playwrights he hired in order to make himself look
good in comparison are all gone except one.

--
The True Doctor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngrZwoS0n21IRcXpKO79Lw

"To be woke is to be uninformed which is exactly the opposite of what it
stands for." -William Shatner

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<slnahv$tl4$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2078&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2078

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:57:51 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:57 UTC

In article <sln58i$16g$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <sln0ah$s83$1@dont-email.me>, solar penguin
>> <solar.penguin@gmail.com> writes
>>

>>> I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>>> based on future episodes.
>>>

>> You're more generous than me. I don't think I could give it more than 5.
>> Hopefully future episodes, by other writers, will be less of a confusing
>> melange.
>
>I just have a soft spot for stories that fail because they
>try to pack in too much stuff. At least I t’s more fun than
>failing because of not having enough material to fill the
>story. (‘The Chase’ is one of my biggest guilty pleasures
>even though I know it’s rubbish!)
>
>--
>solar penguin

The Chase rocks! chibnall sucks!
How can one get to heaven while championing disobedience? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<slnaj2$tl4$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2079&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2079

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:58:26 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:58 UTC

In article <-tqdnetTqcy8veL8nZ2dnUU78WHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
The True Doctor <agamemnon@hello.to.NO_SPAM> wrote:
> [...]
>him again after the last time they worked together against Colin Baker I
>don't know.
>

>> OTOH it’s early days yet, and the story might settle down in future
>> episodes. (But Mary Seacole’s appearance in the Next Time teaser makes me
>> worried that we’ll go down the Spyfall route of putting the plot on hold to
>> meet random historical women!)
>>
>> Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
>> characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.
>>

>That was John Bishop's mumbling and all the regional accents inserted to
>appeal to intolerant racists who can't tolerate the Queen's English
>being spoken. I had to double the volume level to make out what was
>being said, but it wasn't because of the music which did not bother me.
>
>> I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down

Chibnall has really gone to the dogs!

>--
>The True Doctor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngrZwoS0n21IRcXpKO79Lw
>
>"To be woke is to be uninformed which is exactly the opposite of what it
>stands for." -William Shatner

How can one get to heaven while championing disobedience? -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Doctor Who Flux - The Halloween Apocalypse REview with spoilers

<slnaju$tl4$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2080&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2080

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:58:54 -0000 (UTC)

In article <-tqdnepTqcwZveL8nZ2dnUU78WGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
> [...]
>>> hold to
>>> meet random historical women!)
>>>
>>> Oh, and the music was far too loud and drowned out the speech, even when
>>> characters were shouting. Thank goodness for subtitles.
>>
>> Yes, I've been relying on subtitles for the last series or two. Jodie
>> Whitaker is a good actress, but she doesn't enunciate very clearly. (In
>> contrast to Mandeep Gill, who I can understand much more easily,)
>>

>>> I’ll say 7/10 but reserve the right to change it up or down
>>> based on future episodes.
>>>

>> You're more generous than me. I don't think I could give it more than 5.
>> Hopefully future episodes, by other writers, will be less of a confusing
>> melange.
>
>All of them are written solely by Chibnall except one. The talentless
>hacks and political playwrights he hired in order to make himself look
>good in comparison are all gone except one.

Chibnall's Timeless Child has damaged the Doctor Who brand!