The words fly away, the writings remain.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

SubjectAuthor
* Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.shawn
+* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen byanim8rfsk
|`* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by themoviePig
| +- Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen byanim8rfsk
| `* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by theFPP
|  `* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by thetrotsky
|   `- Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by theFPP
+- Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.Your Name
`* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.Your Name
 `* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by theFPP
  `* Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by thetrotsky
   `- Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by theFPP

1
Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<pusrkihgfrlrtcreuf4n8g05scimieur9f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208387&group=rec.arts.tv#208387

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 04:18:09 -0500
 by: shawn - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:18 UTC

So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
have made from airing the movie.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/

In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
reported Q3.

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<1720097058.721320457.915646.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208415&group=rec.arts.tv#208415

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by
the public.
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:48:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 14:48 UTC

> So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
> money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
> will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
> million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
> save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
> have made from airing the movie.
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/
>
> In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
> kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
> be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
> conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
> understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
> reported Q3.

Why are they pulling this crap with stuff that I’d actually watch? Why
don’t they just automatically shelve anything with stinky cheese Larsen in
it?

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<uim8f3$31h1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208456&group=rec.arts.tv#208456

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:48:19 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:48 UTC

On 2023-11-10 09:18:09 +0000, shawn said:

> So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
> money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
> will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
> million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
> save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
> have made from airing the movie.
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/
>

> In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
> kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
> be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
> conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
> understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
> reported Q3.

Thank goodness for that ... live-action or live-action / animated
hybrid versions of old animated shows rarely ever work.

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<D7y3N.10905$BbXa.5326@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208457&group=rec.arts.tv#208457

Subject: Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the
public.
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:27:47 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:27 UTC

On 11/10/2023 9:48 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
>> money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
>> will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
>> million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
>> save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
>> have made from airing the movie.
>>
>> https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/
>>
>> In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
>> kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
>> be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
>> conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
>> understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
>> reported Q3.
>>

> Why are they pulling this crap with stuff that I’d actually watch? Why
> don’t they just automatically shelve anything with stinky cheese Larsen in
> it?

You'd think they could donate it to Goodwill Industries or something...

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<947722622.721349130.538715.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208460&group=rec.arts.tv#208460

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
the public.
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:51:36 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:51 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2023 9:48 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>> So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
>>> money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
>>> will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
>>> million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
>>> save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
>>> have made from airing the movie.
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/
>>>
>>> In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
>>> kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
>>> be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
>>> conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
>>> understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
>>> reported Q3.
>>>

>> Why are they pulling this crap with stuff that I’d actually watch? Why
>> don’t they just automatically shelve anything with stinky cheese Larsen in
>> it?
>
> You'd think they could donate it to Goodwill Industries or something...

And get a tax deduction for that too

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<uio95u$3h1g0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208508&group=rec.arts.tv#208508

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
public.
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:12:44 -0500
 by: FPP - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 16:12 UTC

On 11/10/23 5:27 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/10/2023 9:48 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>> So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
>>> money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
>>> will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
>>> million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
>>> save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
>>> have made from airing the movie.
>>>
>>> https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/
>>>

>>> In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
>>> kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
>>> be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
>>> conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
>>> understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
>>> reported Q3.
>>>

>> Why are they pulling this crap with stuff that I’d actually watch? Why
>> don’t they just automatically shelve anything with stinky cheese
>> Larsen in
>> it?
>
> You'd think they could donate it to Goodwill Industries or something...

1.13 Billion. That's how much Captain Marvel made.
The budget was 152 million.

So it only made 7 or 8 times what it cost. And she has a Best Actress
Oscar. Yeah, kill that golden goose.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<OCO3N.527$Jbsd.119@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208511&group=rec.arts.tv#208511

public.
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:13:18 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:13 UTC

On 11/11/23 10:12 AM, FPP wrote:
> On 11/10/23 5:27 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Why are they pulling this crap with stuff that I’d actually watch? Why
>>> don’t they just automatically shelve anything with stinky cheese
>>> Larsen in
>>> it?
>>
>> You'd think they could donate it to Goodwill Industries or something...
>
> 1.13 Billion.  That's how much Captain Marvel made.
> The budget was 152 million.
>
> So it only made 7 or 8 times what it cost.  And she has a Best Actress
> Oscar.  Yeah, kill that golden goose.

This is how far removed from reality gayboy is.

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<uip7n9$3n1fc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208551&group=rec.arts.tv#208551

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
public.
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 19:54:00 -0500
 by: FPP - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 00:54 UTC

On 11/11/23 12:13 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/11/23 10:12 AM, FPP wrote:

>>> You'd think they could donate it to Goodwill Industries or something...
>>
>> 1.13 Billion.  That's how much Captain Marvel made.
>> The budget was 152 million.
>>
>> So it only made 7 or 8 times what it cost.  And she has a Best Actress
>> Oscar.  Yeah, kill that golden goose.
>

> This is how far removed from reality gayboy is.

That said, Marvel movies have really been slipping lately - and they're
hardly marketing The Marvels at all.

I was bored to tears by Quantumania, and Love and Thunder was just an
embarrassment. Wakanda Forever felt like it went on forever and The
Eternals was a chaotic mess.

All very pretty, though if you like CGI.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<uiv4r4$14quj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208743&group=rec.arts.tv#208743

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 19:41:40 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 06:41 UTC

On 2023-11-10 09:18:09 +0000, shawn said:

> So it looks like yet another studio is playing those games to save
> money. They finished the film and have put it on the shelf so no one
> will see it because they get a tax write off that way of about $30
> million. So they will lose $40 million on the write off but they will
> save what ever the marketing costs might be against what they might
> have made from airing the movie.
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/11/coyote-vs-acme-shelved-warner-bros-discovery-writeoff-david-zaslav-1235598676/
>

> In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to
> kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not
> be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the
> conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production. We
> understand the write-down for the pic was applied to the recently
> reported Q3.

Reportedly, Warner Bros has "reconsidered" and is potentially going to
be shopping the movie to streaming services like Amazon Prime and Apple
TV+ ...

Apple is a contender to buy canceled 'Coyote Vs. Acme'
movie from Warner Bros
Warner Bros. has reconsidered its decision to not screen
animated feature "Coyote Vs. Acme" following significant
backlash, and is preparing screenings for a possible
acquisition by Apple or other streamers.

The move comes after the film, initially destined for a
theatrical release, was unexpectedly canceled, sparking
substantial controversy in Hollywood. Most of the surprise
around the cancellation was because "Coyote Vs. Acme" is a
finished film, unlike other recently canceled Warner Bros
projects like "Batgirl" and "Scoob Holiday Haunt" that
were still in production.

According to a report from Deadline, Amazon Prime appears
to be a leading contender for acquiring the film. That's
partly due to Courtenay Valenti, currently at Amazon
Studios and MGM, who had previously championed the movie
during her tenure at Warner Bros.

The film's potential move to Amazon is further supported by
the studio's ongoing collaborations with John Cena, the
film's star, in upcoming movies like "Heads of State,"
"Ricky Stanicky," and "Grand Death Lotto."

Warner Bros. shelving "Coyote Vs. Acme" has led to negative
reactions from the film community, with accusations directed
at Warner Bros executives Michael De Luca, Pam Abdy, and
Bill Damaschke. Some rumors claim that these executives have
been unfairly blamed for the incident, with justifications
such as safeguarding the Looney Toons intellectual property
and removing content created under the studio's former
leadership.

However, the report says that De Luca and Abdy have no
history of terminating films or completed movies initiated
by a previous administration throughout their careers.

Ultimately, it may come down to money. Facing financial
pressures, the studio has been reassessing its approach to
content distribution, with a growing preference for streaming
platforms over traditional theatrical releases. It could be
part of a broader strategy to adapt to changing market
dynamics and manage financial risks more effectively.

<https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/11/13/apple-is-a-contender-to-buy-canceled-coyote-vs-acme-movie-from-warner-bros>

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<uivmsu$17dv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208753&group=rec.arts.tv#208753

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
public.
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 06:49:49 -0500
 by: FPP - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:49 UTC

On 11/14/23 1:41 AM, Your Name wrote:
> [...]
>   at Warner Bros executives Michael De Luca, Pam Abdy, and
>   Bill Damaschke. Some rumors claim that these executives have
>   been unfairly blamed for the incident, with justifications
>   such as safeguarding the Looney Toons intellectual property
>   and removing content created under the studio's former
>   leadership.
>
>   However, the report says that De Luca and Abdy have no
>   history of terminating films or completed movies initiated
>   by a previous administration throughout their careers.
>
>   Ultimately, it may come down to money. Facing financial
>   pressures, the studio has been reassessing its approach to
>   content distribution, with a growing preference for streaming
>   platforms over traditional theatrical releases. It could be
>   part of a broader strategy to adapt to changing market
>   dynamics and manage financial risks more effectively.

From what I heard, there were a number of filmmakers who cancelled
their meeting with Warners.

When you start seeing good filmmakers refusing to take meetings with
your company, it's more than just a money problem going forward. No
filmmakers, no films.

Not great ones, anyway...

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<zZ05N.53866$svP4.12746@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208878&group=rec.arts.tv#208878

public.
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:22:20 -0600
 by: trotsky - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:22 UTC

On 11/14/23 5:49 AM, FPP wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>    However, the report says that De Luca and Abdy have no
>>    history of terminating films or completed movies initiated
>>    by a previous administration throughout their careers.
>>
>>    Ultimately, it may come down to money. Facing financial
>>    pressures, the studio has been reassessing its approach to
>>    content distribution, with a growing preference for streaming
>>    platforms over traditional theatrical releases. It could be
>>    part of a broader strategy to adapt to changing market
>>    dynamics and manage financial risks more effectively.
>>
>> <https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/11/13/apple-is-a-contender-to-buy-canceled-coyote-vs-acme-movie-from-warner-bros>
>
> From what I heard, there were a number of filmmakers who cancelled
> their meeting with Warners.
>
> When you start seeing good filmmakers refusing to take meetings with
> your company, it's more than just a money problem going forward.  No

Maybe Warner Bros. will be bought by the Glimmer Twins (Keith Richards
and Mick Jagger). I'm sure they can afford it.

Re: Yet another movie is shelved without ever being seen by the public.

<uj2g9q$1oh3l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208883&group=rec.arts.tv#208883

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
public.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:15:38 -0500
 by: FPP - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:15 UTC

On 11/15/23 5:22 AM, trotsky wrote:
> [...]
>>>    pressures, the studio has been reassessing its approach to
>>>    content distribution, with a growing preference for streaming
>>>    platforms over traditional theatrical releases. It could be
>>>    part of a broader strategy to adapt to changing market
>>>    dynamics and manage financial risks more effectively.
>>>
>>> <https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/11/13/apple-is-a-contender-to-buy-canceled-coyote-vs-acme-movie-from-warner-bros>
>>>

>>  From what I heard, there were a number of filmmakers who cancelled
>> their meeting with Warners.
>>
>> When you start seeing good filmmakers refusing to take meetings with
>> your company, it's more than just a money problem going forward.  No
>> filmmakers, no films.
>>
>> Not great ones, anyway...
>

> Maybe Warner Bros. will be bought by the Glimmer Twins (Keith Richards
> and Mick Jagger).  I'm sure they can afford it.

I don't know... 24 billion dollars is a hefty lift.