If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Truly horrific

SubjectAuthor
* The New HerculesBTR1701
+- Re: The New HerculesRichA
+* Re: The New HerculesIan J. Ball
|`* Re: The New HerculesBTR1701
| +- Re: The New Herculestrotsky
| `- Re: The New HerculesUbiquitous
+* Re: The New HerculesAdam H. Kerman
|`- Re: The New Herculestenworld
+- Re: The New HerculesThe Horny Goat
+* Re: The New HerculesFPP
|`* Re: The New Herculestrotsky
| `- Re: The New HerculesFPP
`* Re: The New HerculesUbiquitous
 `* Re: The New HerculesThe Horny Goat
  +* Re: The New HerculesIan J. Ball
  |`* Re: The New HerculesAdam H. Kerman
  | `* Re: The New HerculesA Friend
  |  `- Re: The New HerculesAdam H. Kerman
  +* [OT] Truly horrificRhino
  |`* Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  | +- Re: [OT] Truly horrificFPP
  | `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificRhino
  |  `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  |   `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificRhino
  |    `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  |     `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificRhino
  |      `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  |       `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificRhino
  |        +* Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  |        |`* Re: [OT] Truly horrificRhino
  |        | `- Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  |        `* Re: [OT] Truly horrificNoBody
  |         `- Re: [OT] Truly horrificThe Horny Goat
  `* Re: The New HerculesUbiquitous
   +- Re: The New Herculestenworld
   `* Re: The New HerculesThe Horny Goat
    +- Re: The New HerculesUbiquitous
    `* "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support After She Had "Two PsyUbiquitous
     `* Re: "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support After She Had "TwoBTR1701
      `- Re: "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support Aftertrotsky

Pages:12
Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<ui2qck$2pijq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207915&group=rec.arts.tv#207915

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Truly horrific
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:51:30 -0400
 by: FPP - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 12:51 UTC

On 11/2/23 9:01 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:06:43 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Punjabi culture apparently has a great deal of hostility towards girls.
>> This video is a lengthy interview with a Punjabi girl who was born in
>> Britain and suffered the most appalling abuse at the hands of her own
>> family. Among the things she endured was a gang rape where her father
>> passed her around among his friends as well as an attempt by her entire
>> family to beat her to death when she threatened their honour by fleeing
>>from an abusive forced marriage.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOXpJ9fM6o [30 minutes]
>>
>> It boggles the mind that such a life could be lived in a civilized
>> country. The utter indifference of the police when they finally learned
>> of it was equally breathtaking.
>
> Hate to tell you this Rhino but such things have happened in Canada in
> both that community and the non-religious Indian community.
>
> There was a fairly spectacular case involving a similar situation
> (minus the rapes) in the Ottawa area some 10 or so years ago where the
> parents brought a hitman from India to do the deed.
>
> (I did a Google search just now on 'honor killing Ottawa India' and
> was shocked to find 2 other such cases. These cases were origin of the
> Harper era 'Barbaric Practices Snitch Line" that was used against them
> by Justin Trudeau during the 2015 election)

Forcing a woman to stay in a bad marriage is truly horrific. No
civilized person would want that!

> Speaker of the House Mike Johnson’s disdain of women, on the other hand, has its roots in the so-called religious “faith” that informs his mentality. His sensibilities are rooted in fealty to the patriarchal and sexually repressive dogma he gleans from the scripture with which he has chosen to indoctrinate himself. Those lessons confirm for him that women should be subservient, that they are unequal to men and therefore undeserving of the same rights and privileges.

One of those, his push to end no-fault divorce, is enjoying a resurgence
as a goal of the far right in its efforts to impose their misogynist
agenda on the rest of the country.

> Mike Johnson’s home state of Louisiana is among those whose Republican legislatures are considering ending no-fault divorce. As noted by Julie O’Donaghue, writing for the Louisiana Illuminator, its opponents (including Johnson) often advocate for so-called “covenant marriages:”
>
> People in a covenant marriage who want a divorce must go through marriage counseling and be separated for at least 18 months if they have underage children. In all other cases – including those involving spousal or child abuse – couples in covenant marriages have to be separated for at least a year before a divorce can be granted, according to the Louisiana Department of Health.
An American Taliban is our new Speaker of the House.
--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support After She Had "Two Psychotic Breaks" During Filming

<atropos-0A000B.14371803112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207942&group=rec.arts.tv#207942

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.whine
Subject: Re: "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support After She Had "Two Psychotic Breaks" During Filming
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 14:37:18 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 21:37 UTC

In article <ui2n6i$2p2eh$2@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> BRIDGERTON actress Ruby Barker is blaming Netflix and the Shondaland
> production company for failing to follow up after two "psychotic breaks" she
> said happened while filming the popular historical drama.
>
> "Not a single person from Netflix, not a single person from Shondaland, since
> I have had two psychotic breaks from that show, have even contacted me or
> even emailed me to ask me if I'm okay or if I would benefit from any sort of
> aftercare or support. Nobody," the 26-year-old British star said during an
> interview on Oxford University's LOAF Podcast.
>
> Barker portrayed Marina on BRIDGERTON, a Featherington cousin who gets
> pregnant and becomes a social outcast. The actress said her character's
> unhappy situation negatively affected her mental health.

If you can't play a character who has problems without developing
problems yourself, perhaps acting isn't the job for you.

> "During filming, I was deteriorating," she said during the podcast interview.
> "It was a really tormenting place for me to be because my character was very
> alienated, very ostracized, on her own under these horrible circumstances."

Oh, dear god. Hayden Christianson's character had one arm and both legs
amputated and fell into a lava river before becoming Darth Vader, for
god's sake. You don't see him moping around and whining about it.

> She continued, "When I went into hospital a week after shooting BRIDGERTON�
> Season 1, it was really covered up and kept on the down-low because the show
> was going to be coming out. In the run-up to the show coming out, I was
> just coming out from hospital, my Instagram following was going up, I had all
> these engagements to do."

> "My life was changing drastically overnight and yet there was still no
> support and there still hasn't been any support all that time. So I was
> trying really, really hard to act like it was ok and that I could work and
> that it wasn't a problem," Barker said.

Sounds like a millennial who (typically) believes the world revolves
around her and is pissed that she was treated like a grown adult and
expected to deal with her own problems.

> "I just want to be honest with everybody, I have been struggling," she said
> in a May 2022 Instagram video. "So, I'm in the hospital at the minute, I'm
> gonna get discharged soon and hopefully get to continue with my life and I'm
> gonna take a little bit of a break from myself."
>
> Barker described herself as "just rage-filled, frustrated, angry, you know,
> all this intergeneration trauma bundled up inside me, and I was carrying the
> weight of the world on my back."

"Intergeneration trauma"? WTF? Just get over yourself, sweetheart, and
do your job.

Re: "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support After She Had "Two Psychotic Breaks" During Filming

<tSt1N.267774$rbid.199933@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207960&group=rec.arts.tv#207960

Subject: Re: "Bridgerton" Actress Claims Netflix Did Not Offer Support After
She Had "Two Psychotic Breaks" During Filming
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.whine
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:58:16 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:58 UTC

On 11/3/23 4:37 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ui2n6i$2p2eh$2@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> BRIDGERTON actress Ruby Barker is blaming Netflix and the Shondaland
>> production company for failing to follow up after two "psychotic breaks" she
>> said happened while filming the popular historical drama.
>>
>> "Not a single person from Netflix, not a single person from Shondaland, since
>> I have had two psychotic breaks from that show, have even contacted me or
>> even emailed me to ask me if I'm okay or if I would benefit from any sort of
>> aftercare or support. Nobody," the 26-year-old British star said during an
>> interview on Oxford University's LOAF Podcast.
>>
>> Barker portrayed Marina on BRIDGERTON, a Featherington cousin who gets
>> pregnant and becomes a social outcast. The actress said her character's
>> unhappy situation negatively affected her mental health.
>
> If you can't play a character who has problems without developing
> problems yourself, perhaps acting isn't the job for you.

LOL. Are you talking about Ruby Barker or Gina Carano?

>> "During filming, I was deteriorating," she said during the podcast interview.
>> "It was a really tormenting place for me to be because my character was very
>> alienated, very ostracized, on her own under these horrible circumstances."
>
> Oh, dear god. Hayden Christianson's character had one arm and both legs
> amputated and fell into a lava river before becoming Darth Vader, for
> god's sake. You don't see him moping around and whining about it.

Are you considering Star Wars to be a historical drama too? Maybe you
really are this stupid. So you think the two situations have the same
bearing on reality. Perfect.

>> She continued, "When I went into hospital a week after shooting BRIDGERTON’
>> Season 1, it was really covered up and kept on the down-low because the show
>> was going to be coming out. In the run-up to the show coming out, I was
>> just coming out from hospital, my Instagram following was going up, I had all
>> these engagements to do."
>
>> "My life was changing drastically overnight and yet there was still no
>> support and there still hasn't been any support all that time. So I was
>> trying really, really hard to act like it was ok and that I could work and
>> that it wasn't a problem," Barker said.
>
> Sounds like a millennial who (typically) believes the world revolves
> around her and is pissed that she was treated like a grown adult and
> expected to deal with her own problems.

Still not sure if you're talking about Gina Carano.

>> "I just want to be honest with everybody, I have been struggling," she said
>> in a May 2022 Instagram video. "So, I'm in the hospital at the minute, I'm
>> gonna get discharged soon and hopefully get to continue with my life and I'm
>> gonna take a little bit of a break from myself."
>>
>> Barker described herself as "just rage-filled, frustrated, angry, you know,
>> all this intergeneration trauma bundled up inside me, and I was carrying the
>> weight of the world on my back."
>
> "Intergeneration trauma"? WTF? Just get over yourself, sweetheart, and
> do your job.

Ah yes, the "pull yourself by the dickstraps whether you have a dick or
not." That never gets old.

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<20231104144723.00001be3@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=207972&group=rec.arts.tv#207972

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 14:47:23 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:47 UTC

On Thu, 02 Nov 2023 18:01:14 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:06:43 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >Punjabi culture apparently has a great deal of hostility towards
> >girls. This video is a lengthy interview with a Punjabi girl who was
> >born in Britain and suffered the most appalling abuse at the hands
> >of her own family. Among the things she endured was a gang rape
> >where her father passed her around among his friends as well as an
> >attempt by her entire family to beat her to death when she
> >threatened their honour by fleeing from an abusive forced marriage.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOXpJ9fM6o [30 minutes]
> >
> >It boggles the mind that such a life could be lived in a civilized
> >country. The utter indifference of the police when they finally
> >learned of it was equally breathtaking.
>
> Hate to tell you this Rhino but such things have happened in Canada in
> both that community and the non-religious Indian community.

Yes, I know it has happened here. But at least here it seems to get
some attention from the police and other government agencies, not just
ignored for fear of being condemned for "racism".

> There was a fairly spectacular case involving a similar situation
> (minus the rapes) in the Ottawa area some 10 or so years ago where the
> parents brought a hitman from India to do the deed.

I don't remember that one but I DO remember the three young women (and
their father's first/older wife) who were murdered by the girls'
parents and older brother. The parents and the brother all got "life"
sentences - i.e. no parole eligibility for 25 years - for their deeds.
All the girls had done was to use makeup and dress in Western fashion
rather than in traditional garb. (I can't remember why they bumped off
the first wife; it may have been because she was sympathetic to the
girls or because the parents just didn't like her.)

> (I did a Google search just now on 'honor killing Ottawa India' and
> was shocked to find 2 other such cases. These cases were origin of the
> Harper era 'Barbaric Practices Snitch Line" that was used against them
> by Justin Trudeau during the 2015 election)

Yes, the ever-so-righteous Liberals doing some of their very best
virtue-signalling as they dramatically ramped up immigration, often
from the same cultures that practice honour killings. They - and their
media minions - are also making many efforts to get "Canadians" out of
Gaza now, specifically that group of new Canadians who do
the bare minimum to get Canadian citizenship, then go back to their
home countries to live and only bother to come back to Canada when
things get a little too lively in their preferred countries. I'm really
not clear on why they do that. Is it just to have a safe haven when
things get hot? Or do they manage to get some kind of income stream
from Canada so that it is easier to live in their preferred countries?

Back in the days when I was working in tech support, a young mother was
on the same team as me for a while. I think she'd been born in Canada
because she spoke unaccented English but she had only just come back
from Lebanon as a result of Israeli air strikes on Lebanon when
Hezbollah was attacking Israel. She'd been one of the people we'd
evacuated via Cyprus. She had married over there, had a baby, and had
managed to bring back both her husband and baby. The government had
also apparently given her a substantial cheque to acquire necessities
of life. She'd spent that money on a bunch of furniture from Leon's but
had been quite bitter about the fact that *every single piece of it*
was broken when it arrived. Apparently, she'd had a good deal of work
in getting that all sorted out with Leon's. But I remember thinking
that we might never have seen her in Canada again if the air strikes
hadn't happened.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<2q2ekipgahe21nmfgfahsu2j3d73ed0ieh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208010&group=rec.arts.tv#208010

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 20:34:54 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 03:34 UTC

On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 14:47:23 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Yes, the ever-so-righteous Liberals doing some of their very best
>virtue-signalling as they dramatically ramped up immigration, often
>from the same cultures that practice honour killings. They - and their
>media minions - are also making many efforts to get "Canadians" out of
>Gaza now, specifically that group of new Canadians who do
>the bare minimum to get Canadian citizenship, then go back to their
>home countries to live and only bother to come back to Canada when
>things get a little too lively in their preferred countries. I'm really
>not clear on why they do that. Is it just to have a safe haven when
>things get hot? Or do they manage to get some kind of income stream
>from Canada so that it is easier to live in their preferred countries?

What I don't understand was the CBC reporting that said Canada was
evacuating "citizens and permanent residents" - uh citizens I
understand but the term "permanent residents" means those actually
resident in Canada. They're steadfastly refusing to say how many of
each catagory which suggests to mean it's more than just 2 or 3 home
to visit mom and dad in the 'old country' so WTF?

I mean when we're talking immigration is it not intuitively obvious
where a "permanent resident" is supposed to actually reside? It
reminds one of the taxpayer funded evacuation of "Canadians" from
Beirut some 10 or so years ago when it turned out that something like
80% of those evacuated were back in Beirut 12 months later when the
shelling had stopped.

I've got all the time in the world for those who actually want to be
here and build a life but less than zero for those who play the system
fraudulently like this or allow themselves to be intimidated by
"foreign agents" from te "old country"

(My mother's grandfather had been a Royal Navy reservist office before
he immigrated to Canada two years before WW1 and when war came felt it
was his duty to return to take up his commission. And he paid for his
transportation from Vancouver to London in 1914 and the return trip in
1919 as well - he didn't wait for a public handout - nor did he have
any guarantees as to what would happen to his wife and children if
some German U-boat officer got lucky. Of course citizenship was seen
in different terms 100 years ago...)

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<20231107134957.00005e2b@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208209&group=rec.arts.tv#208209

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:49:57 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:49 UTC

On Sat, 04 Nov 2023 20:34:54 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 14:47:23 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes, the ever-so-righteous Liberals doing some of their very best
> >virtue-signalling as they dramatically ramped up immigration, often
> >from the same cultures that practice honour killings. They - and
> >their media minions - are also making many efforts to get
> >"Canadians" out of Gaza now, specifically that group of new
> >Canadians who do the bare minimum to get Canadian citizenship, then
> >to Canada when things get a little too lively in their preferred
> >countries. I'm really not clear on why they do that. Is it just to
> >have a safe haven when things get hot? Or do they manage to get some
> >kind of income stream from Canada so that it is easier to live in
> >their preferred countries?
>
> What I don't understand was the CBC reporting that said Canada was
> evacuating "citizens and permanent residents" - uh citizens I
> understand but the term "permanent residents" means those actually
> resident in Canada. They're steadfastly refusing to say how many of
> each catagory which suggests to mean it's more than just 2 or 3 home
> to visit mom and dad in the 'old country' so WTF?
>
> I mean when we're talking immigration is it not intuitively obvious
> where a "permanent resident" is supposed to actually reside? It
> reminds one of the taxpayer funded evacuation of "Canadians" from
> Beirut some 10 or so years ago when it turned out that something like
> 80% of those evacuated were back in Beirut 12 months later when the
> shelling had stopped.
>
> I've got all the time in the world for those who actually want to be
> here and build a life but less than zero for those who play the system
> fraudulently like this or allow themselves to be intimidated by
> "foreign agents" from te "old country"
>
> (My mother's grandfather had been a Royal Navy reservist office before
> he immigrated to Canada two years before WW1 and when war came felt it
> was his duty to return to take up his commission. And he paid for his
> transportation from Vancouver to London in 1914 and the return trip in
> 1919 as well - he didn't wait for a public handout - nor did he have
> any guarantees as to what would happen to his wife and children if
> some German U-boat officer got lucky. Of course citizenship was seen
> in different terms 100 years ago...)

[Sorry, I didn't see your reply until just now.]

There are all kinds of news stories every day on CBC, CTV, and Global,
about all the "Canadians" waiting to be allowed to leave Gaza. They
don't bother to specify what makes them Canadians though so it's not
clear if they are talking about people with Canadian citizenships or
permanent resident status. Whatever the case, I find myself wondering
about that as I try to understand just why these people are in Gaza in
the first place.

After all, the Hamas (and "progressive") narrative is that Gaza is just
a huge open air prison with no one allowed in or out, horribly
oppressed by the Israelis. Clearly, they are painting a picture of a
hellhole which we are all supposed to believe and sympathize with. Yet
somehow some of these people did whatever is required to get either
Canadian citizen or permanent resident status which must surely have
included spending some actual time in Canada. That immediately puts the
lie to the notion that no one is allowed in or out of Gaza. But more
than that, it raises the question of why they are back in Gaza, having
apparently fulfilled the (increasingly minimal) requirements for
Canadian status. So why are they back there, despite all the alleged
horrors of the place, and just how long have they been there?

As you say, some may have just gone back for a short visit, like a
wedding or funeral, and happened to be there when Hamas launched its
assault on Israel on Oct 7. Okay, fair enough. But how many of them,
having secured their Canadian status, had gone back to work and live on
a more-or-less permanent basis? Because anyone like that would
probably, if being truthful, admit that life in Gaza wasn't really that
bad despite the narrative Hamas wants us to believe.

I also wonder if these "Canadians" are getting some kind of revenue
stream from Canada. After all, keeping up a home in Canada is already
crazy expensive so how can they afford to pay their rent or mortgage
here AND still pay for things in Gaza where they actually seem to be
living? Are Canadian taxpayers giving them unemployment or provincial
welfare money and/or covering their medical costs via the provincial
health plans while they're in Gaza? If not, how are they making ends
meet in two countries? Or do they lack any kind of home in Canada
altogether?

It seems that some of them are being allowed to leave Gaza starting
today and there have already been reports of some of the ones allowed
to leave choosing to stay behind DESPITE the Israeli attacks on Gaza.
Are these perhaps Hamas fighters hoping to become martyrs as the
Israelis try to track them down and rescue the hostages?

And what about the Gazans who we bring back to Canada? Will they live
quiet lives here or will they be out on the streets joining the
pro-Hamas rallies? Will any of them carry out terrorist attacks HERE,
like burning down synagogues or assassinating Jews? And what will our
bleeding heart government do about such acts?

Naturally, none of this is even HINTED at in the media. We're supposed
to see the Gazan-Canadians as loyal Canadians who will simply lead
quiet lives once they're back here - at least until they go back to
Gaza again.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<e09lkiprutb5al1olqdobhsmv8le1f050c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208222&group=rec.arts.tv#208222

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 13:05:12 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:05 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:49:57 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>As you say, some may have just gone back for a short visit, like a
>wedding or funeral, and happened to be there when Hamas launched its
>assault on Israel on Oct 7. Okay, fair enough. But how many of them,
>having secured their Canadian status, had gone back to work and live on
>a more-or-less permanent basis? Because anyone like that would
>probably, if being truthful, admit that life in Gaza wasn't really that
>bad despite the narrative Hamas wants us to believe.
>
>I also wonder if these "Canadians" are getting some kind of revenue
>stream from Canada. After all, keeping up a home in Canada is already
>crazy expensive so how can they afford to pay their rent or mortgage
>here AND still pay for things in Gaza where they actually seem to be
>living? Are Canadian taxpayers giving them unemployment or provincial
>welfare money and/or covering their medical costs via the provincial
>health plans while they're in Gaza? If not, how are they making ends
>meet in two countries? Or do they lack any kind of home in Canada
>altogether?
>
>It seems that some of them are being allowed to leave Gaza starting
>today and there have already been reports of some of the ones allowed
>to leave choosing to stay behind DESPITE the Israeli attacks on Gaza.
>Are these perhaps Hamas fighters hoping to become martyrs as the
>Israelis try to track them down and rescue the hostages?
>
>And what about the Gazans who we bring back to Canada? Will they live
>quiet lives here or will they be out on the streets joining the
>pro-Hamas rallies? Will any of them carry out terrorist attacks HERE,
>like burning down synagogues or assassinating Jews? And what will our
>bleeding heart government do about such acts?
>
>Naturally, none of this is even HINTED at in the media. We're supposed
>to see the Gazan-Canadians as loyal Canadians who will simply lead
>quiet lives once they're back here - at least until they go back to
>Gaza again.

What got me going on this was that when Canada evacuated all those
people from Beirut in 2006 they did a survey a year later showing that
something like 60-65% of them had returned to Beirut which is rather
remarkable since we were being told their lives were in proximate
danger. You may find the following link interesting:
https://sencanada.ca/content/sen/Committee/391/fore/rep/rep12may07-e.pdf

(It's a report of the Canadian Senate - "The Evacuation of Canadians
from Lebanon in July 2006 - Implications for the Government of
Canada")

Bottom line is that I don't think I (part of "Joe and Jane Taxpayer")
have a moral obligation to gift these people $10-20k apiece for return
airfare when they go into dangerous settings of their own free will -
we're NOT talking tourists here!

Anybody who goes from Canada or the US to Israel should know by now
what they're getting into - but when someone applies for and gets
naturalization they're making a public choice FOR their new country
and if living there is NOT part of what they swear to do, why do we
need them? There are plenty of people after all WANTING to be
Canadians or Americans who want to and can't (and as a Canadian I am
grateful we don't have Americans' problem with their southern border
which is currently completely out of control - and shouldn't be).

Anyone going to Gaza in 2023 should know even more than someone
Israel-bound what they are getting into.

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<20231107184800.000041c3@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208231&group=rec.arts.tv#208231

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:48:00 -0500
 by: Rhino - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 23:48 UTC

On Tue, 07 Nov 2023 13:05:12 -0800
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:49:57 -0500, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >As you say, some may have just gone back for a short visit, like a
> >wedding or funeral, and happened to be there when Hamas launched its
> >assault on Israel on Oct 7. Okay, fair enough. But how many of them,
> >having secured their Canadian status, had gone back to work and live
> >on a more-or-less permanent basis? Because anyone like that would
> >probably, if being truthful, admit that life in Gaza wasn't really
> >that bad despite the narrative Hamas wants us to believe.
> >
> >I also wonder if these "Canadians" are getting some kind of revenue
> >stream from Canada. After all, keeping up a home in Canada is already
> >crazy expensive so how can they afford to pay their rent or mortgage
> >here AND still pay for things in Gaza where they actually seem to be
> >living? Are Canadian taxpayers giving them unemployment or provincial
> >welfare money and/or covering their medical costs via the provincial
> >health plans while they're in Gaza? If not, how are they making ends
> >meet in two countries? Or do they lack any kind of home in Canada
> >altogether?
> >
> >It seems that some of them are being allowed to leave Gaza starting
> >today and there have already been reports of some of the ones allowed
> >to leave choosing to stay behind DESPITE the Israeli attacks on Gaza.
> >Are these perhaps Hamas fighters hoping to become martyrs as the
> >Israelis try to track them down and rescue the hostages?
> >
> >And what about the Gazans who we bring back to Canada? Will they live
> >quiet lives here or will they be out on the streets joining the
> >pro-Hamas rallies? Will any of them carry out terrorist attacks HERE,
> >like burning down synagogues or assassinating Jews? And what will our
> >bleeding heart government do about such acts?
> >
> >Naturally, none of this is even HINTED at in the media. We're
> >supposed to see the Gazan-Canadians as loyal Canadians who will
> >simply lead quiet lives once they're back here - at least until they
>
> What got me going on this was that when Canada evacuated all those
> people from Beirut in 2006 they did a survey a year later showing that
> something like 60-65% of them had returned to Beirut which is rather
> remarkable since we were being told their lives were in proximate
> danger. You may find the following link interesting:
> https://sencanada.ca/content/sen/Committee/391/fore/rep/rep12may07-e.pdf
>
> (It's a report of the Canadian Senate - "The Evacuation of Canadians
> from Lebanon in July 2006 - Implications for the Government of
> Canada")

It rather reminds me of all the rich folks in Hong Kong that got
expedited Canadian citizenship with the "business class" stream that
Mulroney set up when the handover to China was imminent in the 90s. Most
of the Hong Kongers apparently did the bare minimum necessary to
acquire Canadian citizenship, then headed back to Hong Kong to make
money, leaving behind mansions and the odd super-entitled kid with
expensive sports car to terrorize the locals. I wonder how many of them
have come back to Canada permanently since China started cracking down
on Hong Kong? I wouldn't be shocked if most of them are still in Hong
Kong waiting for things to get REALLY lousy before they finally use
those Canadian passports....

> Bottom line is that I don't think I (part of "Joe and Jane Taxpayer")
> have a moral obligation to gift these people $10-20k apiece for return
> airfare when they go into dangerous settings of their own free will -
> we're NOT talking tourists here!

Agreed.

> Anybody who goes from Canada or the US to Israel should know by now
> what they're getting into - but when someone applies for and gets
> naturalization they're making a public choice FOR their new country
> and if living there is NOT part of what they swear to do, why do we
> need them? There are plenty of people after all WANTING to be
> Canadians or Americans who want to and can't (and as a Canadian I am
> grateful we don't have Americans' problem with their southern border
> which is currently completely out of control - and shouldn't be).

Agreed.

> Anyone going to Gaza in 2023 should know even more than someone
> Israel-bound what they are getting into.

If they don't, they REALLY haven't been keeping up with current events!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<ghhmkipe85241q3leoi49hbf8r4ncueu1q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208243&group=rec.arts.tv#208243

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 00:28:34 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 08:28 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:48:00 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>It rather reminds me of all the rich folks in Hong Kong that got
>expedited Canadian citizenship with the "business class" stream that
>Mulroney set up when the handover to China was imminent in the 90s. Most
>of the Hong Kongers apparently did the bare minimum necessary to
>acquire Canadian citizenship, then headed back to Hong Kong to make
>money, leaving behind mansions and the odd super-entitled kid with
>expensive sports car to terrorize the locals. I wonder how many of them
>have come back to Canada permanently since China started cracking down
>on Hong Kong? I wouldn't be shocked if most of them are still in Hong
>Kong waiting for things to get REALLY lousy before they finally use
>those Canadian passports....

Even now there are 250000 Hong Kongers who have the legal right to
enter Canada any time. Which is pretty amazing given Beijing denies
"dual citizenship" to Chinese nationals.

There were several thousand people in HK who were told they had to
either renounce US/Can citizenship or Chinese citizenship and if the
latter they had to leave within 30 days.

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<20231111144008.00000317@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208519&group=rec.arts.tv#208519

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:40:08 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 19:40 UTC

On Wed, 08 Nov 2023 00:28:34 -0800
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:48:00 -0500, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >It rather reminds me of all the rich folks in Hong Kong that got
> >expedited Canadian citizenship with the "business class" stream that
> >Mulroney set up when the handover to China was imminent in the 90s.
> >Most of the Hong Kongers apparently did the bare minimum necessary to
> >acquire Canadian citizenship, then headed back to Hong Kong to make
> >money, leaving behind mansions and the odd super-entitled kid with
> >expensive sports car to terrorize the locals. I wonder how many of
> >them have come back to Canada permanently since China started
> >cracking down on Hong Kong? I wouldn't be shocked if most of them
> >are still in Hong Kong waiting for things to get REALLY lousy before
> >they finally use those Canadian passports....
> >
> Even now there are 250000 Hong Kongers who have the legal right to
> enter Canada any time. Which is pretty amazing given Beijing denies
> "dual citizenship" to Chinese nationals.
>
> There were several thousand people in HK who were told they had to
> either renounce US/Can citizenship or Chinese citizenship and if the
> latter they had to leave within 30 days.

The sooner the CCP government is gone, the better it will be. I keep
seeing analysts saying the Chinese economy is crashing. The real estate
sector, which is 30% of the economy, is in free fall. Youth
unemployment is so high that they won't publish the numbers any more.
Every campaign by the CCP to motivate people backfires and makes people
more hostile. The demographics of the country are horrible with an
aging population already outstripping the numbers of younger people who
can care for them. And why? Because they let Xi have his way on things
and he's fucking up every aspect of their country. The ONLY people
benefiting from the current state of affairs is the corruptocrats in
the CCP. The whole system needs to be abandoned and something else
tried, preferably something that will see a more humane people-focused
government rather than the current crop of authoritarians.

That would have spinoff benefits outside of China too. Perhaps then
the Chinese diaspora would return to China to help build a freer China
that has no desire to conquer its neighbours, whether through military
conquest like Taiwan or through economic colonization like the Belt and
Road Initiative. Overseas Chinese would then be free to live their
lives without constant pressure from the CCP to manipulate things in
their new countries to the CCP's advantage, as we see with their
interference in our elections.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the inquiry into election
interference? I haven't heard a word about it in months....

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<ht20lih15mlot5ad7pj3qd33elrbrs60va@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208543&group=rec.arts.tv#208543

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:26:06 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:26 UTC

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:40:08 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Nov 2023 00:28:34 -0800
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:48:00 -0500, Rhino
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>That would have spinoff benefits outside of China too. Perhaps then
>the Chinese diaspora would return to China to help build a freer China
>that has no desire to conquer its neighbours, whether through military
>conquest like Taiwan or through economic colonization like the Belt and
>Road Initiative. Overseas Chinese would then be free to live their
>lives without constant pressure from the CCP to manipulate things in
>their new countries to the CCP's advantage, as we see with their
>interference in our elections.
>
>Speaking of which, what ever happened to the inquiry into election
>interference? I haven't heard a word about it in months....

Hope you're right though whether Communist or not it is dysfunction to
allow 35% of Canada's immigrants to be from the PRC and 25% from
India. 2 not particularly friendly countries who are both known to
have performed operations in Canada. Gee what could be wrong with
that?

(In my parents' generation there used to be a government policy where
on top of an immigration rate 1/5 the present level, Ottawa didn't
allow more than 10% of immigrants to be from any single country - the
idea being to avoid ghettoization. All that is now history - I say
"Richmond, BC" "Richmond Hill,ON" what's the first thing you think?

(Of course people also say "North Vancouver, BC - Iran" (e.g. my own
suburb where I've lived about 80% of my life (the rest being
California, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto) since our community of
100000 or so has 10-15000 of them mostly along the central region less
so in the burbs)

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<20231112001312.000061ef@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208567&group=rec.arts.tv#208567

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 00:13:12 -0500
 by: Rhino - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 05:13 UTC

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:26:06 -0800
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:40:08 -0500, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 08 Nov 2023 00:28:34 -0800
> >The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:48:00 -0500, Rhino
> >> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> >>
> >That would have spinoff benefits outside of China too. Perhaps then
> >the Chinese diaspora would return to China to help build a freer
> >China that has no desire to conquer its neighbours, whether through
> >military conquest like Taiwan or through economic colonization like
> >the Belt and Road Initiative. Overseas Chinese would then be free to
> >live their lives without constant pressure from the CCP to
> >manipulate things in their new countries to the CCP's advantage, as
> >we see with their interference in our elections.
> >
> >Speaking of which, what ever happened to the inquiry into election
> >interference? I haven't heard a word about it in months....
>
> Hope you're right though whether Communist or not it is dysfunction to
> allow 35% of Canada's immigrants to be from the PRC and 25% from
> India. 2 not particularly friendly countries who are both known to
> have performed operations in Canada. Gee what could be wrong with
> that?
>
> (In my parents' generation there used to be a government policy where
> on top of an immigration rate 1/5 the present level, Ottawa didn't
> allow more than 10% of immigrants to be from any single country - the
> idea being to avoid ghettoization. All that is now history - I say
> "Richmond, BC" "Richmond Hill,ON" what's the first thing you think?
>
> (Of course people also say "North Vancouver, BC - Iran" (e.g. my own
> suburb where I've lived about 80% of my life (the rest being
> California, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Toronto) since our community of
> 100000 or so has 10-15000 of them mostly along the central region less
> so in the burbs)

Speaking of Iran, have you seen this? It seems that Canada has become a
refuge for members of the (Iranian) Republican Guard, PARTICULARLY
Vancouver:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10076891/iran-dissidents-threats-canada/

Although somewhat lengthy at 18 minutes, the video on that page is
worth watching.

Once again, Trudeau is making this country a safe haven for all sorts
of undesireables. You have to wonder if there is profit in it for him
and/or the Liberal Party: are these people actually funneling money to
the Liberals in exchange for the right to live in this country,
consequences be damned?

What happens when Iranian operatives resident in Canada kill opponents
of the regime right here in Vancouver, Toronto, or whatever? No doubt
Trudeau will give one of his patented denunciations of it BUT DO
NOTHING FURTHER, like always.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<c5t0li1v131ktt2negt0gtifh7ru1gcaf6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208574&group=rec.arts.tv#208574

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <20231101160643.0000054d@example.com> <e6h8ki1cja2q74c4oibla3g49dr7b7jmif@4ax.com> <20231104144723.00001be3@example.com> <2q2ekipgahe21nmfgfahsu2j3d73ed0ieh@4ax.com> <20231107134957.00005e2b@example.com> <e09lkiprutb5al1olqdobhsmv8le1f050c@4ax.com> <20231107184800.000041c3@example.com> <ghhmkipe85241q3leoi49hbf8r4ncueu1q@4ax.com> <20231111144008.00000317@example.com> <ht20lih15mlot5ad7pj3qd33elrbrs60va@4ax.com> <20231112001312.000061ef@example.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:48:05 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 06:48 UTC

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 00:13:12 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Speaking of Iran, have you seen this? It seems that Canada has become a
>refuge for members of the (Iranian) Republican Guard, PARTICULARLY
>Vancouver:
>
>https://globalnews.ca/news/10076891/iran-dissidents-threats-canada/
>
>Although somewhat lengthy at 18 minutes, the video on that page is
>worth watching.
>
>Once again, Trudeau is making this country a safe haven for all sorts
>of undesireables. You have to wonder if there is profit in it for him
>and/or the Liberal Party: are these people actually funneling money to
>the Liberals in exchange for the right to live in this country,
>consequences be damned?
>
>What happens when Iranian operatives resident in Canada kill opponents
>of the regime right here in Vancouver, Toronto, or whatever? No doubt
>Trudeau will give one of his patented denunciations of it BUT DO
>NOTHING FURTHER, like always.

Hmmm. I was under the impression that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard
was a proscribed organization in Canada so will have to watch your
link since certainly my local area has lots of Iranians though few
I've met who seem to have any kind of military bearing.

I agree with you onthe worth of Justin Trudeau's denunciations.

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<b2r1li1d1kb2oann922k6t86vn8sih5tn3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208596&group=rec.arts.tv#208596

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:18:00 -0500
 by: NoBody - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:18 UTC

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:40:08 -0500, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Nov 2023 00:28:34 -0800
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:48:00 -0500, Rhino
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It rather reminds me of all the rich folks in Hong Kong that got
>> >expedited Canadian citizenship with the "business class" stream that
>> >Mulroney set up when the handover to China was imminent in the 90s.
>> >Most of the Hong Kongers apparently did the bare minimum necessary to
>> >acquire Canadian citizenship, then headed back to Hong Kong to make
>> >money, leaving behind mansions and the odd super-entitled kid with
>> >expensive sports car to terrorize the locals. I wonder how many of
>> >them have come back to Canada permanently since China started
>> >cracking down on Hong Kong? I wouldn't be shocked if most of them
>> >are still in Hong Kong waiting for things to get REALLY lousy before
>> >they finally use those Canadian passports....
>> >
>> Even now there are 250000 Hong Kongers who have the legal right to
>> enter Canada any time. Which is pretty amazing given Beijing denies
>> "dual citizenship" to Chinese nationals.
>>
>> There were several thousand people in HK who were told they had to
>> either renounce US/Can citizenship or Chinese citizenship and if the
>> latter they had to leave within 30 days.
>
>The sooner the CCP government is gone, the better it will be. I keep
>seeing analysts saying the Chinese economy is crashing. The real estate
>sector, which is 30% of the economy, is in free fall. Youth
>unemployment is so high that they won't publish the numbers any more.

Unfortunately the CCP is not going anywhere. They have been slowly
indoctrinating others via Ticktock and do whatever they want on the
world stage. I think it most likely that eventually, the CCP will
take the US without much of a fight which will be a sad end to what
was a great country.

Re: [OT] Truly horrific

<1jb2li59jei993l97kbflcfbmmki3jp8ds@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=208622&group=rec.arts.tv#208622

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <20231101160643.0000054d@example.com> <e6h8ki1cja2q74c4oibla3g49dr7b7jmif@4ax.com> <20231104144723.00001be3@example.com> <2q2ekipgahe21nmfgfahsu2j3d73ed0ieh@4ax.com> <20231107134957.00005e2b@example.com> <e09lkiprutb5al1olqdobhsmv8le1f050c@4ax.com> <20231107184800.000041c3@example.com> <ghhmkipe85241q3leoi49hbf8r4ncueu1q@4ax.com> <20231111144008.00000317@example.com> <b2r1li1d1kb2oann922k6t86vn8sih5tn3@4ax.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 11:59:55 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 19:59 UTC

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:18:00 -0500, NoBody <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately the CCP is not going anywhere. They have been slowly
>indoctrinating others via Ticktock and do whatever they want on the
>world stage. I think it most likely that eventually, the CCP will
>take the US without much of a fight which will be a sad end to what
>was a great country.

Hope you're wrong but ....

I don't think it will be in my lifetime but could well be in that of
my children and that would be a very difficult time for the world.

As for climate change I see no real hope as long as China and India
are building new coal plants. If they were on board then yes for sure
but the evidence is well established that they are NOT.