"Our reruns are better than theirs." -- Nick at Nite

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / The Poet's Creed

SubjectAuthor
* The Poet's CreedMichael Pendragon
`* Re: The Poet's CreedMichael Pendragon
 `* Re: The Poet's CreedMichael Pendragon
  `- Re: The Poet's CreedAsh Wurthing

1
The Poet's Creed

<fbe61129-607f-4460-a961-e514102d9d3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209002&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#209002

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 20:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Poet's Creed
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:42 UTC

One of my earliest poems, from 11/23/1987, is called "The Dreamer's Creed," and attempts to set forth my (then) views on life and (still current) creed regarding the nature of my poetry.

As a poem, it contains some serious flaws -- as did the majority of my poems at that time. It also contains several wonderful passages that I still take pride in having written some thirty-five years later.

Here is the poem, in full:

As dreams fade with the dawn's first light
Expelling us, forever, from their bourne
-- Lands we have seen, tho' never held in sight --
So all the simple pleasures which adorn
Our mem'ries, hopes, and daydreams of this life
Wither and die the moment they take form --
Lost in the hardship, misery and strife
Which like a horde of Furies ever swarm
Through ev'ry aspect of reality.
Youth lasts but a Summer; beauty, a day
And joy departs like waves upon the sea --
Or Naiad dreams dashed by the breakers' spray.
For smiles stem from fond anticipation
Of untold ecstasies we've never known
-- And never shall, save in imagination --
Fond beauty dwells in fancy's folds alone,
And love, despite its object's echoed sighs
Lives only in the lover's heart and eyes.

Yet deep within our cherished memories
We find our pasts embellished with a hue
Of burnished gold thrown down from Summer skies
-- A gentle truth that never quite rings true.
I watched my (too brief!) childhood hours pass
'Midst rolling meadows, flush with April flowers
Beside a brook whose rivulets of glass
Would blithely break beneath the chestnut's bowers.
I had no cares then, worries, aches, or pains
No bruise escaped my Mother's healing kiss
-- No demon there to wake me to life's banes --
My consciousness full overcome by bliss.
There did I while the days of youth away
My ev'ry thought uplifted on the wind
-- Elysian wanderings I knew as play --
Though never past the portals of my mind.
Remembrances imbued with fantasy
Yet held more dear than truth could ever be.

In manhood I, with youthful zest explored
Each worldly kingdom ever known to man --
Each tale of bravery since time began
I've seen firsthand -- no one detail obscured
No single image disjointed or wan.
For I with Grendel, through Heorot roared!
And fought beside Achilles in the van
Upon Troy's blood-soaked shore.
All I've adored
I've readily obtained. Each lovely maide
I'd spy became a whore I could afford,
Or else a saintly lady whom I paid
With flattery and praise -- whom I implored
To be my only love. Howe'er I played
Love's little game, I won the same reward.
Yet how far from reality I've strayed!
Or have I? O'er my mem'ry I am Lord
And smite "Truth" down with my tongue's dual-
edged sworde!

Who does not spend his life pursuing dreams?
Or thinks tomorrow holds more than his death?
How vain our desp'rate hope of Heaven seems
When life fades with the dying's final breath!
No secret joy hid 'neath reality
-- Quixotic quests can only end in pain --
Divorced from life, I live it beautifully,
Surrend'ring to fate's dictates, ne'er again.
I'll never yearn to travel far-off lands
-- Truth always turns bright expectations pale --
But live to meet my reverie's demands
-- Insanity to be my Holy Grail!

For happiness is only found in dreams
And in my dreams is where I choose to stay.
Attempts to realize wishful, worldly schemes
Are little more than throwing life away --
For even daydreams vanish from our sight
In the reality of endless night.

The main message is one of my choice to abandon the mundanity of life for the idealized "reality" of my daydreams. I was to be the honorary bard of King Oberon's faerie court. And my poetry and tales abound in depictions of my inner life -- with starry-eyed poets chasing after elusive Muses, engaging in love-hate relationship with death, going off in search of adventure, interacting with ghosts that may or may not be real, and longing for a past that never existed.

This theme was reiterated in what became the titular poem of my second collection, "Crossed Swords," twenty-three years later (in 2010):

Give me windmills fierce to tilt
And maidens fair to chase and win
A saber with a crimson hilt
A new adventure to begin!
Fetch me a clipper ship of yore
With sails to catch the Orient breeze
And rolling waves that charge the shore
Like mermen racing off to war
Across a hundred stormy seas.
The salty sting of ocean spray
The burnished sun upon my brow
Rum-scented haunts in Mandalay
The siren songs of San Tropez
Unfurl my soul like sails a-play
And such were 'Paradise enow!'

Bring me a steed with flanks of steel
That I might feel the lancer's thrill
When flying toward the thund'rous peal
Of cannon choirs, whose fires fill
My heart with blood-borne battle cries
And deathless deeds in glory sown
Till I would ride against the skies
And dare to topple Heaven's throne!
Pass me my quill of raven plume
That I might scratch my name in stone
-- Be it Gibraltar or my tomb --
Tho' it be read by me alone
Or known by all 'til time falls still.

Grant me the strength to heed my will
To strive until the day is won
To strap on wings of sealing wax
And hurl myself into the sun
For I shall soar on dragons' backs
And set the clouds afire for fun.
Throw me a torch to light my way
As I march onward thro' the mist
Searching for windmills fierce to slay
And beauteous maidens yearning to be kissed.

I find it both interesting and instructive to compare these poems, as the quality of the later poem far surpasses that of its predecessor. Unlike a certain poet, whose poetry from 1978 is indistinguishable from that of 2023, I grown as a writer, and, hopefully, shall continue to do so in whatever future I may have.

This creed (to live in a fantastical idealization of the world) resurfaces in many forms throughout the vast majority of my tales and poems, and provides a secondary, or underlying, level through which to approach my work.

This is a celebration of the introvert's unique (and unrepentantly self-centered) take on reality. It is a defiantly personal approach that I hope will resonate with, and find similarly-oriented advocates among, my fellow introverts, eccentrics, and dreamers.

Of the 600 poems (exactly) that I have written, I am happy to say that I've remained faithful to this creed; for even when not overtly implied, its theme nevertheless remains amenable to that of all (or nearly all) of my poems.

Re: The Poet's Creed

<d55e94b2-cd55-4971-8a56-19c45937ec94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209026&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#209026

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 06:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Poet's Creed
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:51 UTC

On Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 11:42:28 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> [...]
>
> This creed (to live in a fantastical idealization of the world) resurfaces in many forms throughout the vast majority of my tales and poems, and provides a secondary, or underlying, level through which to approach my work.
>
> This is a celebration of the introvert's unique (and unrepentantly self-centered) take on reality. It is a defiantly personal approach that I hope will resonate with, and find similarly-oriented advocates among, my fellow introverts, eccentrics, and dreamers.
>
> Of the 600 poems (exactly) that I have written, I am happy to say that I've remained faithful to this creed; for even when not overtly implied, its theme nevertheless remains amenable to that of all (or nearly all) of my poems.

The Influence of Edgar A. Poe.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Edgar A. Poe, and the degree to which Poe has influenced me as a writer cannot be overestimated. This is not to say that I consciously set out to imitate Mr. Poe, or that my work bears any similarity to his (although it often does). Rather, it means that at a crucial stage in my development as a writer (my senior year in high school), I found a copy of The Laurel Poetry Series' volume on "Poe," presenting his complete poems with an introduction and notes by Richard Wilbur.

I had been fascinated with the poetry of Edgar Poe since I read, and memorized, "The Raven" in the 8th grade (where it appeared in our English Literature textbook). As additional Poe poems appeared in my high school curriculum, I read and memorized those as well (perhaps a half dozen poems in all). But with the "Poe" book, I thoroughly immersed myself in his poetry, memorizing all with the exception of the two "epic" poems of his early career, "Al Aaraaf" and "Tamerlane." I also paid close attention to Mr. Wilbur's introduction and notes, and referred to them time and again, as a means of better understanding Poe's work.

It is difficult to say where the influence of Poe over my writing began, as his "Sonnet -- To Science," which opened the collection, had a similar theme to the one surviving poem I had written, roughly one and a half years before. Similarly, the opening line of "The Sleeper" was similar to what had initially been the opening line of my poem, utilizing the same meter and same alliterative use of the letter "m." I had read neither of these poems before, and their correspondences to my own affected me in such a way that can only be compared to having been struck by lightning.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The Poet's Creed

<756141d8-6c9b-4ff9-8214-3d88498205ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209061&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#209061

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 12:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 19:49 UTC

<7678cbc9-3a4c-4674-b602-3afb9e863987n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209089&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#209089

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:55 UTC