Give your very best today. Heaven knows it's little enough.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

SubjectAuthor
* Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very MUbiquitous
+* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public:Ian J. Ball
|`- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask Inanim8rfsk
+- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public:Ed Stasiak
`* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeThe Horny Goat
 `* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Veshawn
  +* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeThe Horny Goat
  |`* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Veshawn
  | +* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask Inanim8rfsk
  | |`* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public:suzeeq
  | | `- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask Inanim8rfsk
  | +* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeAdam H. Kerman
  | |+* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask Inanim8rfsk
  | ||`* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeYour Name
  | || `* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeThe Horny Goat
  | ||  +- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Veshawn
  | ||  +- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeAdam H. Kerman
  | ||  `* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeYour Name
  | ||   `- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeAdam H. Kerman
  | |+- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeThe Horny Goat
  | |`- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeUbiquitous
  | +* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeThe Horny Goat
  | |`- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Veshawn
  | `- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeUbiquitous
  +* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeYour Name
  |`* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public:suzeeq
  | `* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Veshawn
  |  +* Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask Inanim8rfsk
  |  |`- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public:Dimensional Traveler
  |  `- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeYour Name
  `- Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is VeUbiquitous

Pages:12
Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

<ujddc6$3s7v2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209269&group=rec.arts.tv#209269

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:33:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 16:33 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>Sun, 19 Nov 2023 20:05:54 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>It is possible to get Covid via touch an infected surface, but that is
>>one of the lesser ways to get it. In fact, you can even get Covid by
>>stroking a pet that someone with Covid has stroked before you did.

>Any idea how long between strokes mght possibly be hazardous?

The superspreader would probably still have to be in the room or left it
moments before. If it's an elevator button or a knob or something plastic
that everybody touches, we're talking about within moments. If you don't
touch your eyes or nose, you won't get infected. COVID doesn't survive
on metal knobs or drawer pulls. Again: COVID isn't the measles. It does
not survive long enough on surfaces for this to be a method of infection
to be concerned about.

>. . .

Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

<ujds84$3us69$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209305&group=rec.arts.tv#209305

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:47:00 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 20:47 UTC

On 2023-11-19 09:11:39 +0000, The Horny Goat said:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2023 20:05:54 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It is possible to get Covid via touch an infected surface, but that is
>> one of the lesser ways to get it. In fact, you can even get Covid by
>> stroking a pet that someone with Covid has stroked before you did.
>
> Any idea how long between strokes mght possibly be hazardous?
>
> Nobody pets our cat except family members and visitors to our home
> since she doesn't go out but I often walk our dog near our local
> elementary school near 3pm and many of the kids love to pet our dog.

It depends on too many factors to know an exact number - temperature,
humidity, sunlight, etc. as well as the surface type. Some strains of
Covid have been found to last up to five days on a sheet of paper
(likely in lab-controlled conditions).

Of course, you are supposed to wash your hands after touching animals
anyway due to lots of other germs, diseases, and parsites you can
transfer to and from them ... few people actually do that though.

Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

<ujdu33$3v7oc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209309&group=rec.arts.tv#209309

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 21:18:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 19 Nov 2023 21:18 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>:
>On 2023-11-19 09:11:39 +0000, The Horny Goat said:
>>Sun, 19 Nov 2023 20:05:54 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>:

>>>It is possible to get Covid via touch an infected surface, but that is
>>>one of the lesser ways to get it. In fact, you can even get Covid by
>>>stroking a pet that someone with Covid has stroked before you did.
>>Any idea how long between strokes mght possibly be hazardous?

>>Nobody pets our cat except family members and visitors to our home
>>since she doesn't go out but I often walk our dog near our local
>>elementary school near 3pm and many of the kids love to pet our dog.

>It depends on too many factors to know an exact number - temperature,
>humidity, sunlight, etc. as well as the surface type. Some strains of
>Covid have been found to last up to five days on a sheet of paper
>(likely in lab-controlled conditions).

Oh for fuck's sake. You are deliberately misinterpreting this study,
same as libraries around where I lived did throughout 2020 and 2021. We
returned books. They were held in quarantine for 5 days to 7 days before
being returned to circulation. It was massively idiotic.

It doesn't matter if a tiny bit of germ manages to survive on a sheet of
paper under ideal conditions. These studies failed to prove that enough
of the germ survived to make it possible for a human being to become
infected. It's all about quantity. Contact with the germ below the
threshold means you've got potential for exposure (forming antibodies
detectable by one of the COVID tests) but not potential for infection.
Quite frankly, even potential for exposure was unlikely in the extreme.

Is someone highly likely to become infected? If not, then stop insisting
that surfaces are a possible infection vector.

Again, this is COVID, in which infection is from inhalation, not from
touching a surface. This isn't measles.

>Of course, you are supposed to wash your hands after touching animals
>anyway due to lots of other germs, diseases, and parsites you can
>transfer to and from them ... few people actually do that though.

Yes, of course.

Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

<ujfk65$a48l$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209359&group=rec.arts.tv#209359

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:30:48 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>That's not what he said. Unless you are complaining about other people
>wearing masks now. If you are going around telling mask wearers that
>they shouldn't be wearing one then you are a dick. In my opinion and
>in Wil Wheatons. It shouldn't matter to you or anyone else if someone
>chooses to wear a mask. While I certainly thought it a bit odd that
>the Japanese tended to wear masks long before Covid

That's because it's a fetish there.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

<ujfkff$a48l$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209360&group=rec.arts.tv#209360

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:30:49 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:30 UTC

nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>Not at all. It would only be an issue if they don't remember to wash
>their hands or otherwise disinfect the hands afterwards. Even if I'm
>not wearing a mask when going to the grocery store I'll still take
>advantage of the disinfectant stands they have to clean off the
>handles of the grocery cart.

That reminds me of something I saw during my recent re-watch of FRINGE.
There was an ep that began Over There (but didn't tell us at first) that
took place in a Mahaten (not a mispelling!) office with a visible
disinfectant stand and people using it. I can only imagine what people from
the early 2000's thought of that!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Actor Wil Wheaton Explains Why He Still Wears A Mask In Public: "Covid Is Very Much Still A Thing"

<ujfklr$a48l$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=209361&group=rec.arts.tv#209361

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:30:50 -0500

In article <ujc2k4$3mb5a$1@dont-email.me>, ahk@chinet.com wrote:

>Disinfecting might help with the cold or flu virus. Measles would be
>transmitted on surface for something like 45 minutes and mere alchohol
>isn't adequate disinfection.

How about brass doorknobs?

--
Let's go Brandon!